Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolanaweb

New furbaby

jolanaweb
16 years ago

Some of you know, we got a new furbaby a couple of months ago.

Her Mom is a Rat Terrier and her dad was either a Maltese or ShihTzu, by looks, we believe the latter.

Anyway, when we first got her she got very sick and the vet wasn't sure if she would pull through but she did..YEA

Here's the deal when I devoted all day to her to get her well and potty trained and to get her to come when called

She is a very smart lil girl and picked up on everything real well.

I go out of town for 2 1/2 days, DH in charge and when I get back, she will not come when called, even if I shake the treat container or walk over to give her a whiff of the treat. I would actually think she lost her hearing but she hears bunnies and other animals outside.

What is up, lol

Any ideas that I haven't tried? I don't want to get stressed and her pick up on that and be afraid or whatever but as I just told Carrie, I don't want to spend 30 mins trying to get her back in after taking her out for her last potty before bed

Also, this is my first dog other than a collie (perfect breed) is it the Terrier maybe, lol

Comments (12)

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm just going to pretend we just got her and start over, lol

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Sounds like puppy relapse. They all go through periods, in the puppy months, when they simply forget everything you taught them.

The good part is, they do better, each month, about remembering what they are supposed to do, and after they get about a year old, you won't have too much trouble.

After they get between 2 and 3 yrs. old, you have it made. (smile)

In the meantime, conditioning is an ongoing process.

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

Jolana, maybe she became infatuated with your husband while you were gone. Will she come to him? Or maybe, you unknowingly brought one of those ghosts home with you! Ha! Ha!
    Jim

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

I'll tell you what happened. You worked your fanny off training her and as soon as you left DH never did a thing so she forgot what you taught her.

Maybe he needs to take a turn waiting at night for her to do her business.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

My advice on potty training is ALWAYS the same. Crate training and potty outside on a lead with a command. It works great until they get old and senile and can't remember anything(grrr).
    Just type in "crate training" you'll get a lot of hits. They all work so just pick what you like.
    Potty training on the leash is wonderful.I put the lead on the dog with a pinch collar. If it's their regular ID collar they might slip out.If you don't like a pinch collar a harness is good too. I don't do any leash training at this time. I carry the puppy to exactly where I want it to learn to go. I put the puppy down and repeat a phrase I want the puppy to recognise for elimination. I chose "let's go pee-pee" in a high pitched voice because for some reason a squeaky voice makes my puppies have to pee? I say it over and over until the puppy is done fighting the leash (passive resistance I just let it wear itself out),sniffing around and jumping up on me. Once the puppy eliminates I give it a piece of cat food. All my puppies have been crazy about cat food. I do this at regular intervals until the puppy is trained to go on command. This is VERY handy traveling. PJ
    Good luck.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PJ, she potties outside and she has been crate trained since we got her, that was never a problem, lol
    She won't come now, I did work at it all day and now she comes better but still not like before. We'll get back to it.

Rick, I think you are right, relapse with a little help from DH

Carol, you are right on both counts I believe

Jim, if ghosts followed me back, I'm going to ask them to get my DH, LOL

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Maybe the kind hearted ghost will scare the poop outta Libby.

That could be useful.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

She is going to get better, Jolana, it is instinct to want to please you. Even my little "not the sharpest knife in the drawer" Yorkie likes to be told he is a good boy. Now, he would be a challenge for anyone.

• denisew
    16 years ago

Maybe she missed you while you were gone and she is mad at you so won't come to you. Like the others said, just start over and work with her on everything you have taught her so far. She will relearn them.

• trsinc
    16 years ago

I think denisew may be right. The first time I left my dog for a few days she would only sit facing away from me for a week. She's still a little like that. She gets mad when I'm gone. But really mad if she smells other dogs on me. Whoo, look out. She won't have anything to do with me, after the initial excited greeting, for a while after that.

She also may think she got the upper hand while you were gone. So, dog psychology might be in order????

Good luck. Whatever you do I'm sure she will still and always love you for the good Mommy you are. No matter what it is I'd bet it is a separation anxiety thing.

Just my 2 cents.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Denise, it could've been partly that. Whatever it was she has gotten back to normal

Tammy, thank you for your sweet 2 cents.
    BTW, we need another shopping day soon, the weather is so gorgeous

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Just call me or send me some mail! Mom's having surgery soon, but other than that I don't have any major plans for a while.

Glad to hear your baby is better.