Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

I heard a siren?

pjtexgirl
17 years ago

I'm in Benbrook,TX near Fort Worth. I heard a siren off outside for about 5 minutes. I wasn't sure what it was but assumed it was a tornado warning. I grabbed a mattress and ordered the kids in the bathtub. I was wondering if it was a tornado siren or what? I didn't see or hear a tornado and nothing was on the radio. Is there anything else it couldve been? PJ

Comments (9)

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Well it is the first of the month, maybe it was the siren test?

Joe

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maybeeeee.... didn't know when they tested them. Thanks! PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

May have been a test. Most surely was the tornado warning system, though.

Conditions haven't been conducive to a tornado, however.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Poor PJ, I can't blame ya for being scared with the siren going off but there's no need to worry about tornado's this time of the year but if your in dought just turn on the weather news. I'd be the same in CA. with the slightest sign of an earth quake.
    They do test the sirens once a month and if you hear it before it goes off they announce it over the speaker that it is a test.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't hear the announcement! I'm in the "safer than sorry" group...it was good drill at any rate! :^).
    At least there is a warning part of the time. The sound of the siren makes it hard not to panic.PJ

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

In Garland, they do siren testing the first Wednesday of each month, at and around noon.

There can be a tornado any month of the year. I remember one struck just a few blocks away from my house in December several years ago.

Sally

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Yup. tornadoes happen all times of year, but you still need the right weather conditions at the time, to spawn them.

The worst time of year in DFW, is usually in the March-June period, when spring storms are most active.

In the cooler months, they most often occur when there are warm vs cold air masses, butting heads, which create the thunderstorms that are associated with spawning tornadoes. The two kinda go hand in hand.

You can also get'em, if a hurricane comes in over us, especially from across Baja, as most Gulf hurricanes don't get this far north before missing us to the east.

Lived in a lot of places, and for the most part, each has its own variety of weather issues, earthquakes, wildfires, floods, or something, to challenge us to stay safe.

When you hear those sirens, though, you have to react quickly, as you tend to have seconds, to no more than a few minutes, before you might get hit.

Be glad we now have more doppler radar in our area, helping to forecast and sound the alarm, for tornadic circulation. (Of course, without a shelter.....that may be a moot point.)

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can't decide...earth quake or tornado..... Maybe I need to spend time on the Gulf so I wont miss out on hurricanes...(just kidding!) PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Tornadoes are actually much more dangerous, than hurricanes, as you have little or no warning.

With hurricanes, you know far enough ahead to either get out or batten down the hatches. (Of course it helps to build properly for hurricanes......which in recent years nobody on the Gulf, or in Florida, bothered to do.)

Being directly on the coast is most dangerous, due to the storm surge....which is basically a form of tsunami, that wipes out everything in its path. A couple of miles inland, will avoid that.

Weather related catastrosphes will continue to get worse, as the damage to the planet from human overpopulation continues to destroy the natural environment. It can only get worse, because the root cause of the problem is being denied, by everyone but the scientists.