Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

Ready for the FREEZE?????

carrie751
15 years ago

If you are, feel free to come help me. MN has just ruined my schedule of when I put things up for the winter. I will be spending the next few days prepping their winter habitat, cutting brugs back on Saturday and then getting it all into various locations for the winter.

Hope you are better prepared than I !!!

Comments (7)

• justintx
    15 years ago

Nope, I'm not - and I have to leave for Kansas in about 12 hours!!! Won't be back until Sunday evening. Luckily, I only have one brug to cut back!
    J.D.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

Ahhh! I forgot the brugs!!! I'm running around like a madwoman also. Why oh why do I keep collecting tropicals?

Pam

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

We cut back on tropicals this year, and all of ours that are cold sensitive are already inside, save the Meyer Lemon, which can handle down to about 20 degs. ok.

Now if there just were more pretty plants, that weren't tropical!

We converted one part shade bed to mums, this year. Needed some more perennials, that could take the cold.

It will be interesting to see if the cleomes re-seed, and come back in the spring, of course. So far, our luck with seed is pretty dismal.

Something got into our junipers this year, and we have been fighting that, trying to save them. It appears we have stopped the progression of damage, but don't know yet how much permanent damage is done.

We got our dianthus into the front beds a couple of weeks ago, and they are looking great for now. We will hope they handle the winter well.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rick, I will be very surprised if the Cleomes do not reseed for you. I have a bed full of small ones right now from the seeds I failed to harvest. I am sure there will be more next Spring.

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

Hope that will be true, Carrie. This was our first year to try them, and we liked how they performed, so if they reseed, that will be great.

It seems as though some things will do well with little care, and others don't, no matter what. Others are inconsistent.

Gradually shifting into more proven performers.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

Sh*t. I just found out about the freeze. Threw blankets over everything and am hoping for the best. PJ

• carrie751
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PJ, you need to get out more !!!!
    Thanks to two wonderful friends, I got all my plants in that would be affected by a light freeze. Also got all my inground brugs cut back, and had people here to pick up the cuttings. So, all in all, I feel pretty good about having a heads up on winter although there is still much to do.