Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Heart Attacks: This May Save Your Life or the Live of a Loved One

sylviatexas1
16 years ago

This was sent to me by a Realtor friend:

Women and heart attacks - (Myocardial infarction)

Women rarely have the same dramatic symptoms that men have when experiencing a heart attack (numbness in the left arm, sudden stabbing pain in the chest, cold sweat, etc.)

Here is the story of one woman's heart attack.

"I had a heart attack at about 10:30 pm with NO prior exertion, NO prior emotional trama that one would suspect might've brought it on.

I was sitting one evening with my purring cat in my lap, reading a book, actually thinking, "A-A-Ah, this is the life!"

A moment later, I felt that awful sensation of indigestion, the feeling you get after you take too big a bite, like a golf ball is going down the esophagus in slow motion, although I hadn't taken a bite of anything since about 5:00 p.m.

After that subsided, the next sensation was like little squeezing motions that seemed to be racing up my SPINE (hind-sight, it was probably my aorta spasming), gaining speed as they continued racing up and under my sternum (breast bone, where one presses rhythmically when administering CPR).

This continued on into my throat and branched out into both jaws.

Having read that jaw pain could signify a heart attack in women, I realized, "Dear God, I'm having a heart attack!"

I stood, started to take a step, and fell on the floor.

I pulled myself up with the arms of the chair, walked slowly into the next room, and dialed the Paramedics.

I told her I thought I was having a heart attack due to the pressure building under the sternum and radiating into my jaws.

I didn't feel hysterical or afraid, I was just stating the facts.

She said she was sending the Paramedics over immediately, asked if the front door was near to me, and if so, to un bolt the door and lie down on the floor where they could see me when they came in.

I did as instructed, and lost consciousness,.

I don't remember the medics coming in, their examination, lifting me onto a gurney or getting me into the ambulance, or hearing the call they made to St. Jude ER on the way, but I did briefly awaken when we arrived and saw that the Cardiologist was already there in his surgical blues and cap.

He was bending over me asking questions,but I couldn't

make my mind interpret what he was saying, or form an answer, and I nodded off again, not waking up until the Cardiologist and partner had already threaded the teeny angiogram balloon up my femor artery into the aorta and

into my heart where they installed 2 side by side stents to hold open my right coronary artery.

I know it sounds like all my thinking and actions at home must have taken at least 20-30 minutes before calling the

Paramedics, but actually it took perhaps 4-5 minutes before the call, and both the fire station and St. Jude are only minutes away from my home, and my Cardiologist was all ready to re-start my heart, which had stopped somewhere between my arrival and the procedure to install the stents.

Why have I written all of this to you with so much detail? Because I want all of you who are so important in my life to know what I learned first hand.

1. Be aware that something very different is happening in your body, not the usual men's symptoms, but inexplicable things happening (until my sternum and jaw got into the act).

It is said that many more women than men die of their first and last MI because they didn't know they were

having one, and commonly mistook it as indigestion, took some Maalox & went to bed, hoping they'd feel better

in the morning.

only they never woke up.

My female friends, your symptoms might not be exactly like mine;

I advise you to call the Paramedics if ANYTHING unpleasant is happening that you've not felt before.

It is better to have a "false alarm" visitation than to risk your life guessing what it might be!

2. Note that I said "Call the Paramedics."

Ladies, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!

Do NOT try to drive yourself to the ER:

you're a hazard to others on the road, and so is your panicked husband who will be speeding and looking anxiously at what's happening with you instead of the road.

Do NOT call your doctor-

he doesn't know where you live and if it's at night you won't reach him anyway, and if it's daytime, his office will tell you to call the Paramedics.

He doesn't carry the equipment in his car that you need to be saved!

The Paramedics do, principally OXYGEN that you need ASAP. Your Dr. will be notified.

3. Don't assume it couldn't be a heart attack because you have a normal cholesterol count.

Research shows that MIs occur whether the cholesterol is elevated or not.

MI's are often caused by long-term stress and inflammation in the body, which dumps deadly

hormones into your system to sludge up your heart & your arteries.

Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep.

Let's be careful and be aware.

The more we know, the better chance we could survive.

Comments (5)

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for posting this info Sylvia.
    I'm sure many of us wonder if we should or should not call 911 and this info is helpful.

Barb

• denisew
    16 years ago

Yes, definitely pay attention to the warning signs. I know of a woman who went to the doctor for the indigestion feeling, he gave her a prescription for antaacids and told her it was indigestion. She went home and still wasn't feeling well and felt more uncomfortable when she was laying down so she told her husband that she was going downstairs to their lounge chair. That is where he found her dead in the morning from a heart attack. It was so sad because they have a son who was a fourth grader at the time - now in high school. It was real hard on her family.

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Someone sent this to me.

SELF CPR

What are you to do if you have a heart attack while you are alone?
    If you've already received this, it means people care about you ...
    The Johnson City Medical Center staff actually discovered this
    and did an in-depth study on it in our ICU The two individuals that
    discovered this then did an article on it .. had it published and have
    even had it incorporated into ACLS and CPR classes.
    It is very true and has and does work. It is called cough CPR. A cardiologist says it's the truth ... For your info ...If everyone who gets
    this sends it to 10 people, you can bet that we'll save at least one life.
    Read This...It could save your life! Let's say it's 6:15 p.m. and you're driving home (alone of course), after an usually hard day on the job. You're really tired, upset and frustrated. Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to radiate out into
    your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five miles from the
    hospital nearest your home. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be
    able to make it that far.
    What can you do? You've been trained in CPR but the guy that taught the course, didn't tell you what to do if it happened to yourself.

Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack,
    this article seemed to be in order. Without help, the person
    whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint,
    has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.
    However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged,
    as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about very two seconds without let up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating
    normally again.
    Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital. Tell as many other people as possible about this, it could save their lives!
    From Health Cares, Rochester General Hospital via Chapter 240s newsletter 'AND THE BEAT GOES ON ..'
    (reprint from The Mended Hearts, Inc. publication, Heart Response)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I had to look up the coughing thing! I looked it up on a heath extension with a cardioligist answering questions. Here is what the MD had to say:

Whats missing?
    The most important advice missing from this e-mail is the advice to call 9-1-1 immediately if you suspect you are having a heart attack.
    Heart attacks occur when oxygen-rich blood hits an obstacle  nearly always a blood clot  as the blood moves through an artery leading to the heart. The clot plugs the artery, either completely or almost completely.

Without nourishment from a sufficient blood supply, the heart muscle becomes damaged. The idea is to get medical help before this damage occurs.

If you are driving alone and feel symptoms of a heart attack (more on symptoms in a bit), I say: Pull over. Use your cell phone to call 9-1-1, or flag a passing car or person. Put your energy into getting help.

After you summon help, lie down (this helps prevent lightheadedness) and, if possible, take an aspirin (either one adult aspirin or, even better, two low-dose chewable aspirins, because the chewables enter your system faster).

The goal is to get to a hospital, fast, in an ambulance. The expense of an ambulance is worth it because paramedics or emergency medical technicians can start treatment enroute.

Can coughing keep blood circulating while you wait for help?
    This is kind of a bogus recommendation that can leave patients with a false sense of control. You can't cough your way out of a heart that's fibrillating. "Fibrillating" means the heart is beating in such a disorganized fashion that it has lost its ability to effectively pump blood.

I'm sorry that won't work. I posted this because I don't wanna loose anyone here to a broken heart PJ

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Thanks for asking your md, pj. I didn't take that article to mean continue driving and coughing your way to the hospital. I took it to mean cough your way to the nearest phone. If you're driving, youd have to pull over for the phone, the pain or the coughing. I didn't think anyone would take it to mean that they could drive themselves to the hospital. I just figured most people have more common sense than that. Also figured most things you read need to be taken with a grain of salt. Even from medical books. I don't want to "break" anyone's heart either. Thank you for posting.