Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natvtxn_gw

woo hoo!!! I got free plants!

natvtxn
17 years ago

Today I got to meet a fellow TX gardenweber. Honeybunny started me an angel's trumpet. The mother plant is at her house at the coast. She called today and we finally got to meet.

She also brought me a varigated potato vine and some dianthus. I told her I would not say thank you, or they would not grow. Soooo, girl friend, I appreciate your kindness!

Comments (23)

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Kathy!

I should also give honeybunny a/k/a Barbra a great big thank you too. Last weekend she brought me some dianthus and give me a varigated potatoe vine too.

And you should make a trip to Rockport to see her garden. It is really beautiful!! I am going, heads up Barbra, to try to get her to agree to let her yard be on the Master Gardener's Hidden Garden Tour next fall.

Thanks Barbra!

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Isn't it fun to finally meet another GWer that you feel like you've known for years.

Wish I lived closer, so I could see Barbra's yard.

Kathy, I hope you or Barbra took pictures.

We all want to see pictures.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Carolann, thank you for the purple hyacinth beans, I got them yesterday in the mail. This is probably my favorite vine. They did so well in Rockport, that the weight from the plants broke the chain link fence they were climbing on. I had saved two hugh bags of seeds from my hyacinth vines, and put them in the garage . My husband threw them away when he was cleaning his garage, I did not know this until the spring, when I wanted to plant them. Next year there will be lots of seeds, to pass on to another Texas gardener. Barbra,

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I never thought to take a camera. That gas station would have made such lovely pictures. LOL They were in a hurry to go look at her DD's house she has had built.
    I am seriously thinking of down sizing houses/yard. Barbara's neighborhood is just what I am looking for. Plus I would be about 5 minutes from several of my doctors. Maybe I should just wait and buy her's when they move to the coast....ready made garden. OOOOH, what a great idea! Especially considering it is only 4:40 a.m. I have not seen her's, just drove through the neighborhood yesterday afternoon.
    I would not know how to live when I did not have to use "dynamite" to get rocks out to plant a garden.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Oh, it makes me wish for spring to hear you talking about exchanging plants, and beautiful gardens. I know- I know, we haven't even had winter yet. My question is - why do we have to? LOL Wish I could see Barbra's garden also - maybe she will post photos.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

"I know- I know, we haven't even had winter yet. My question is - why do we have to? LOL"

Carrie, it's funny that you said that. I'm always sad when it starts to get cold. I wish the weather could just stay pretty all year and my plants would all be growing and blooming year round. Most people don't agree with this.

Guess we should live in Hawaii. lol

Barbra, I'm really anxious to see your yard.

Linda, Barbra tells me that you have a gorgeous yard.

Kathy, you wouldn't want a ready made garden. Then you'd have nothing to do but upkeep. Good idea though!!!!!

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

I haven't seen Barbra's San Antonio garden, but if it's anything like her Rockport garden, it has to be great. Unlike me, she has a beautifully landscaped yard, arranged and laid out pleasingly to the eyes. I have a specimen yard, i.e. see, like, buy, uh where to plant?, and then just plop it in where ever I can find a space. HA!

I really do hope Barbra will consider being on our Aransas/San Patricio MG Hidden Gardens Tour next fall. Please think about it Barbra!

Barbra, next time you are here, I can take some pictures of your yard and post them here on GardenWeb.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Linda, that would be great and how about a few of your own garden? I pretty much garden the way you do which is why I move plants around from time to time. LOL

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

OK, I'll get some pictures of both Barbra's yard and mine. You will see the difference, i.e. organization vs. non-organization! HA! And I do the same thing with moving plants here and there! When I took MG back in '98, the #1 rule was "Don't buy a plant and then try to decide where to put it! Know where it is going before you buy!" Now did I listen? Nope!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Linda, you have my permission to go and take as many pictures as you want. There will only be a few things in bloom, this time of the year. Most of my flowering plants are gone by now. Barbra,

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I agree, honeybunny that it is not the ideal season to be taking photos of one's garden - but - she can take more next summer to show it in full bloom.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Barbra's yard is beautiful even when it is not in full bloom!

And she has great shade garden beds!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Can't wait to see the photos!!!!! Hey, maybe I will even clean up my act a bit when I see how she has hers organized. Ya think??????

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Linda, you sound just like me. lol

I'm always bringing plants home and I have no idea where to plant them. I usually walk around my yard for hours carrying it until I find the perfect spot. I'll never learn.

"Hey, maybe I will even clean up my act a bit when I see how she has hers organized. Ya think??????"

Carrie, now let's not get crazy!!! LOL

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Oh, don't worry, Carol Ann - it will probably never happen. I am a plant as you go kind of gardner, and that probably won't change...LOL!

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Carol Ann,

I know exactly what you mean when you say

"I'm always bringing plants home and I have no idea where to plant them. I usually walk around my yard for hours carrying it until I find the perfect spot."

I do the same thing. My DH bought me a little red wagon for Valentine's Day last year, so now I put my "where-to-plant plants" in it and walk around the yard looking for the "spot"! It makes it a little easier! HA!

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I still have a sweet olive sitting in no-man's land.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

And then there are those "I-just-must-have plants", that get taken home and often sit there in the pot for the next year while trying to decide where to plant it.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Oh, Linda, you would have to bring that up! I have six sitting in pots right now, and think I will just protect them for the winter, and find a place for them next spring.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Right now, I have quite a few of those plants sitting around in pots, while I am trying to figure out where to put them. Either the weather needs to stay warm so I can continue to try to find a place for them and plant them, or they are going to have to overwinter in their pots.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I first met Kathy for a plant swap in November 2006, at a gas station on 281. This is the copy of the original post. What great memories. It was there that we discussed having a plant swap in San Antonio. She did all the organizing, posting, and got the rules from I think the Ft worth Swappers. Without her it would have never happened. I mailed TxKitty $20 so she could purchase the permit, using her employee discount, Kathy even went to her work to pick up the permit. I only had to do one thing, and that was make the signs, so everyone would know which pavillion. It was a great swap, it was the first time everyone met. Thanks Kathy.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Thanks Barbra! It's interesting to read about the beginnings of the plants swaps and long standing friendships in San Antonio.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Awww, you make me get tears, girl friend.

Who knew that 11 months 9 days later I would move to this house.

Gosh, it can't have been that many years.

hugz

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths