Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacquelyn8b

More modified food?

Jacquelyn8b
17 years ago

Why? We produce plenty of meat, grain, vegetables, milk and fruits without modification or cloning.

I don't see the point!

Every year more and more of us are growing as much of our own food as possible just to avoid the chemicals, drugs and genetic tampering. Now we will expand our efforts to provide for our extended families.

Just because science CAN, doesn't mean it SHOULD.

Ok, my rant is (temporarily) over!

Comments (12)

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Amen, Sistah!

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

ditto

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Coned cows! Who woulda thunk? And they just released a new study about how much methane cows produce and global warming. You think the clones have any less methane? I may have to become a vegetarian yet!
    Tally HO!

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Heck, they cloned a CAT! Like there's a shortage of cats!!!Why don't they put that money into homeless animals? How about homeless people? How about people who are hungry? How about reestablishing middle America.......Jac, you got me on a roll! PJ

• olphart
    17 years ago

Cloned cattle sounds really icky. But, I canÂt think of a single reason why it wouldnÂt result in better quality beef. ItÂs not like the cattle will be genetically altered. In fact, it would be just the opposite with its ÂsamenessÂ.

It should also result in better efficiency, and, theoretically, lower prices by producers. Beef ranchers would produce only males, and dairy producers only females because the sex of the cattle would already be determined.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

With all the hormones, antibiotics, and who knows what else they're putting into farm animals these days, what difference does it make if the animals are cloned? And people don't understand why I'm vegetarian? I agree with Jac, the more food we raise ourselves, the better.

Sally

• olphart
    17 years ago

I have a bigger fear of contaminated vegetables than I do of beef or pork or poultry.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

"It should also result in better efficiency, and, theoretically, lower prices by producers."

It'll result in lower production costs, but whaddya wanna bet those savings never get passed along to the consumer?

One thing that worries me is that the clones themselves tend to age more rapidly & to be more susceptible to cancer than non-clones, & I don't think anyone has any idea whether these problems are limited to the individual, like variations in coat pattern, or whether they survive to be passed on to someone who eats the clone, like DDT.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

The food infected with salmonella or ecoli can be scary, but to me, it's not as scary as what's happening to the whole diet of Americans, including what they're doing to the animals people eat. There seem to be more and more problems like autism, asthma, cancer, diabetes, and heart disease, it makes me wonder if all the tampering with the food is responsible.

Sally

• grittymitts
    17 years ago

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!

I'm firing off letters to Senators, Congressmen and the FDA to protest the failure to label the stuff "CLONED." May not do any good, but I hold dear the right to express my opinion...and outrage.

Suzi

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I hold dear the "right to express" also Suzi - thank God and many veterans we still have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

You want to eat better.......write your congressmen about the restaurant industry. If it is healthy.....they will add something to it, to be absolutely certain it will NOT be healthy when you eat it!!! Of course, most of what they offer isn't healthy in the first place.