Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

help I'm being attacked by credit cards!

pjtexgirl
17 years ago

*Sigh* I need more life experience or something. Visa opened a credit card account without my permission through my bank(BofA). It has a 5000.00 dollar limit. I wont own a credit card(I'm too impulsive basically) Anyway, we already tried to close it once. Who do I call/yell at? Bank of America,Visa or both? Is there any way I can prevent this from happening again? I can't begin to describe how ticked I am they can just open these accounts!!Does anyone know if it will affect my credit? It has not been activated BTW. A lot of you seem more finance savy than my DH or I and I appreciate any advice you can throw my way. Thanks,PJ

Comments (12)

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

As far as I know no one can open an account with out you having ok'd it and signing the paper. I'd called the president of the bank and talk to him and BTW you can close any account at any time if you choose, they cannot refuse to close it. I don't know if it will hurt your credit but I would not want it open for someone else to get their hands on it. I'd do a credit check if I was you to make sure nothing else funny is going on with your credit.
    Plus I would take it very very serious if any company opened an account in my name without my permission.
    They would not want to do that to me cause I'd be very hot under the collar.
    P.S. Look out for this being stolen identity.
    Barb

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Hmmm.

If it hasn't been activated, it isn't open, so I don't think it sounds like identity theft.

I think it sounds like your bank, being in the position of knowing your creditworthiness, took advantage of that knowledge to offer you this wonderful deal.

I'd call-or go in-& raise cain.

& I might move my account(s), depending on the answers I got.

• janet_w
    17 years ago

Bank of America is notorious for doing things like this. I refuse to do business with B of A. Report them to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission).

You can also contact all three credit bureaus and tell them you did not open this account that you want it removed it should not effect your credit in any way.

Have your credit file flagged when anything appears on your file you are contacted. I agree check your credit report you and hubby can get a free copy once a yr from all 3 credit bureaus online and print it out.

Did you know that the Credit bureaus have the right to give out your name and address to credit card companies and Ins companies so they can make credit worthy offers to you. You can opt out from them doing this by calling the CB or writing them.

Go to the bank in person and find out who opened the account for you and why. I would make it known that your not happy about this at all. If they opened an account for you no telling what else they opened in your name without your knowledge you might be a co signer on a loan etc.

• grittymitts
    17 years ago

We get 'em all the time but if you don't call and activate it, it's not an open account.

If you can't burn it, cut right right thru the middle of the numbers, then cut the other way & toss it.

Suzi

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

AWWWWW,I thought it had been activated, MY BAD.
    But I would change my bank if mine did open one without my ok. We get a lot of offers all the time, they go right into the shreader. I'm like U PJ it's to tempting not to use at times and Christmas and SPRING time is one of those times. Best way to stay clear of debt is to use cash.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas and thank you! I'm going to call the Credit bureaus and tell them not to give out my info! I'm gonna raise a stink at the bank too. I'm giving them a one and only warning that this not happen again or I'll call the FTC. They'd better belive this lady!!I'll check on my credit too. *blush* I don't even know what my rating is. I'd better get more pro active here. I noticed they pulled this !@#$% right before the holidays. (Dirty pool if you ask me. )The saddest part is that we simply couldn't afford any credit debt right now at all. I swore I told myself a million times,"Happiness and good cheer with modest gifts are better than debt and a worried/depressed mom with lavish gifts" all through the holidays!PJ

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Christmas is over. Thanks be for a wonderful holiday, and sweet and smiling faces all around.

We spend only cash, never use a credit card! We had so many cards once upon a time, I swear we could have bought a luxury car on a credit card! Credit limits out of sight! What is that about? Who needs that much credit?!!!

If I am going to buy something that big, surely I have the good sense to go to my bank where I can get a much better deal.

Anyway, long story short, we cut the cards up, and got them all paid off, and will never again have that kind of debt.

We keep one card for 'emergencies'- and that means it is a real emergency! Like me breaking down on a dark and desolate road, and DH has no money, can't get any, and no gas in the truck to come and get me! THAT kind of emergency! LOL

Christmas is not an emergency. We had a modest Christmas, and everyone is happy, I think. Most of all, DH and I are happy! We only went overboard for each other, but that is always the way it is. We plan for it.

Hope y'all all had a nice Christmas too.

Sic 'em, PJ!

Janie

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

:^)Thanks,I will! I like Christmas too! PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Simply call the bank (the number is right on the card), and tell them you never authorized any such account, and to close it immediately. You will not be liable for any such account, and no one is authorized to open an account which you have not specifically asked for.

Also tell them if it happens again, you will report it to the proper authorities.

You do NOT want to ignore it however. Sometimes this is evidence of identity theft, which you want to stop in it's tracks. Often, offers are stolen from mailboxes, and then submitted in your name, that are bogus.

Simply cutting up cards is not enough, as all a thief needs, is the account number, in today's world.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I just saw something on this in the paper. A lot of banks are opening these accounts for you. Basically they are an overdraft of some sort. You innocently write a check, your account is short $2.00. The bank, in their generosity, puts your overdraft on the credit card or whatever they have decided, you get charged service charges, convenience charges, overdraft charges, etc. etc. etc. So pretty soon you owe $200 for that $2.00.

Call the bank honey & see what is going on. If they don't help you call me & I'll call them. The squeeky wheel gets the grease!
    Good luck.
    Tally HO!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Wouldn't it be a better world if we were just given the option of knowing what is best for "US"? I do so hate it when negative (return this if you don't want it) tactics are used. What's so wrong with asking me if I want it, and the decision is mine - not theirs? Short vent!!!! LOL

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm trying to keep my rant short! Go get em Beachplant! LOL! Seriously, the whole situation is insane. I know so many people who are slaves to credit card debt. They work like dogs,stress all the time and spend,spend,spend for mostly cr*p they wont remember why they bought it.The credit card companies LOVE this. They make so much money on it they'll obviously stop at nothing to try to hook someone in.
    I had a crazy vacuume cleaner woman who tried to convince me that "only 50 bucks a week" was spare change! I said,"must be nice to be so rich! I wouldn't do it if I had the money....no financing on ANY non-necessities! 50 dollars here,20 dollars there,5 dollars there...next thing you know you're up to your butt in debt!"She looked at me like she'd swallowed a tack. Now I know why this poor woman put up with her pushy,abusive boss for a really cr*ppy job.I have enough problems(student loans!). No thank you! PJ