Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18

sylviatexas1
9 years ago

Okay, I know it's still January.
technically.

But the springlike weather, along with the announcement of the San Antonio Swap, inspired me!

Although the San Antonio Swap is the 18th as well, the previous Saturday, the 11th, is the Ft Worth Botanical Gardens Plant Sale, & the following week-end is the Spring Festival at the Japanese Gardens.

Traffic will be bumper-to-bumper, & it'll just be too hard to get in & out of the park.

We *can* get a "twofer", though, since the Ft Worth Iris Society has its Spring Iris Show at the Gardens on the 18th:
we can swap swap swap, share a light potluck lunch, & head over to the Garden to feast our eyes on the gorgeous irises!

without the temptation to add more plants to our stashes, since the Iris Society won't sell 'em to us at the spring show, thus saving us from ourselves.

Thank you Iris Society.

They sell rhizomes at the Botanical Gardens at their autumn sale, which is September 26 this year.

The Daylily Society also has their shows & sales in tandem with the Iris Society, so maybe it's really a "three-fer".

ahem.

back to our regularly scheduled programming.

We start around 9 AM & swap til we drop.

We usually drop as soon as we've had lunch, which is catered by all of us bringing something to share.

nothing big, nothing fancy, make it easy on ourselves & each other.

Plants should be labeled, hydrated, & healthy.

If you have cuttings, fresh or rooted, please be sure that your trade partner realizes & agrees that they're getting cuttings.

If you're just starting or if you've moved or don't have plants for whatever reason, you still can participate;
gardening gloves ($1 at Dollar Tree), nursery pots, potting soil, homemade or bakery cookies, etc are always popular things to trade.

I haven't started anything yet, but there are still a few irises at the old house where I cleaned out the beds that the new owner was going to convert to roses, so I'll see if I can get the strays before he tosses them.

Comments (216)

• positiveone2014
    9 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knew what this is?

• Phil S.
    9 years ago

Hey Nazi,

Don't worry about the Eucalypts, so far none of mine have come back yet, but there are a few that show promise, aka trunks seem sturdy but flexible, like they are still alive. Going to wait another month to see if they recover before I pull them up.

The problem is, there is not much information on Eucalypts. I have 7 or 8 different varieties of seeds that say zone 7B, 8A and above. A few even require cold stratification to germinate. I will still keep trying, one of them has to be suitable for our area. :)

• sylviatexas2
    9 years ago
    Nazi, I'm always up for cookies!
    anything with chocolate, coconut, walnuts, etc...as long as no peanuts or peanut butter.
    Please look at my list & let me know what I can bring you!
  • Shan G.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd like a garden flag! Please let me know if I have anything you'd like to swap for. My list is above.

I'm getting excited too; I need to pot a few things up this evening so I'm ready for Saturday!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I would love a garden flag too Nazi, nothing personalized, just whatever you can whip up.

What would you like in return?

Krysah, that mum sounds beautiful. I've got you down for the lyre-leaf sage.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

good news for Krysah:
    PIgeonberry has appeared!

Actually, it appeared a while ago, but I had forgotten where it was...

• positiveone2014
    9 years ago

PKponder TX(7b) you got it. Give me some hints of stuff you like on your flag. If you have a turk cap or columbine left that no one has requested, I would love either one. Both are such lovely flowers. I don't have anything like it in my yard.

• positiveone2014
    9 years ago

Shan G.(7) absolutely :-) Give me some hints of what you want on it. If you have any liatris bulbs left, I would love them. They look like fun.

• Shan G.
    9 years ago

I do still have the liatris bulbs, positiveone2014! I will bring them for you. I'm working on creating a Wonderland themed garden, so anything that might work with that would be great (ex. something to do with the white rabbit's cottage, 'Golden Afternoon' flowers, red queen's garden, etc.) I have a couple of teapot planters on my outdoor tables and teacup planters on the fence already, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

• Shan G.
    9 years ago

Updated running list:

krysah- my daylily for your borage, wando pea (and maple tree?)

PKponder TX - my sedum/succulents and Super Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato for your pink turk's cap, Texas Gold Columbine and plumbago

Sylvia- my mums, Super Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato, brownies and donatable items- shampoo, laundry detergent, bleach, etc.) for your crinums, fig cutting, oregano, lemon mint, holly fern, iris, comfrey, martha g. rose and red yucca

Phil S.- my bags of potting soil for your 2 italian cypress trees

positiveone2014- my liatris bulbs for your garden flag

• darlenegalindo
    9 years ago

Phil, if no one wants your silver palm, I would be interested in it as well. Thanks.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

positiveone2014 - I like the colors of your flag, it will be replacing the tattered one in my butterfly/hummingbird garden, so anything related to nature, flowers, birds or insects :-)
    I found a good sized red turk's cap and divided my columbine for you.

Here's my updated list.

I'm trying to decide what to bring for the potluck. Hubby has offered to set up the little hibachi and grill hot dogs, that's sounding easy to me.

I'm bringing a stack of old gardening magazines, extra Lyre-leaf sage, extra leadwort, extra blue spruce sedum and maybe some ajuga.

Sylvia
    To:
    Manfreda pup
    Lime and Grapefruit mint plants
    Turk's Cap pink
    Folgers Black Silk coffee, 1lb + container
    Artemesia
    lime green sedum if you have enough
    white iris
    white and blue salvia

flame acanthus cuttings

Seamommy
    To:
    Hydrangea
    something else?
    Mexican Petunia
    bunching onions

Tejas Ruthie:
    To:
    blue spruce sedum
    small pots

Darlene
    To:
    Plumeria
    manfreda seedlings
    mint cuttings
    leadwort, hardy plumbago
    cow tongue cactus
    mojito mint cuttings

Krysah
    To:
    ajuga...few pots
    leadwort, hardy plumbago
    lyre leaf sage
    Feverfew
    Mums

Beverly via Sylvia:
    To: 36 blue beer bottles

Pyxis:
    To:
    Musa Rojo
    Zebra Cactus
    some of the unknown variegated tropical, reminds me of a
    peperomia with pointy leaves
    Ginger

Shan
    To:
    pink Turk's Cap
    leadwort, hardy plumbago
    Texas Gold Columbine
    Succulent
    Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes

positiveone2014
    To:
    Red Turk's Cap
    Texas Gold Columbine
    Garden Flag

Marti

Horsetail Rush

• Shan G.
    9 years ago

OK, I got outside today and potted up some items. Here are a few photos. FYI, the mums I'm bringing are purple. Are there any takers to rescue my mom's bromeliad? I posted a picture a few posts back. I'd hate for it to die if it can be saved.

Daylilies

Irises, purple mums and variegated wandering jew (I also have the green leaf if you'd prefer it?)

Sedum and succulents (I don't know the name of the spiky looking one but it's thornless)

Tomato plants

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I too am a bromeliad killer

edited on 4 17...almost ready for the swap. Still have a few things to dig and pot up and I need to put swapper name stickers on them.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Shan, looking good! Your spiky succulent is a Huernia. I'm bringing a pot of Huernia Macrocarpa, it has the tiny maroon blooms. What color does this yours bloom?

• Shan G.
    9 years ago

You've got loads potted up, PK! I guess I should get back out in my yard and dig up a few more things, lol.

I have no idea what color my huernia blooms; I didn't know it flowered until now! I'll have to ask my mom; she gave me the pieces that started my plant.

I haven't put names on my pots yet; I guess i'll do that tonight.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Don't worry about digging up anything else for me Shan, I've been gardening for a while and these are literally plants that I am happy to see go to another loving home :-)

Mother nature has shared the bounty of her rain and the plants are happy!

• positiveone2014
    9 years ago

Speaking of rain, there may be some rain tomorrow.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If it rains, we'll head for the pavilion!

• Shan G.
    9 years ago

It's just as well, PK. The rain started just after i got home so no more digging for me. I did snag a tiny succulent friend for you at my moms house but the photo didn't post? I just stumbled across my mistletoe cactus so I'm bringing that too in case you want some oieces of it.

Im making salted caramel cookies instead of pasta salad for tomorrow.

I appreciate you all sharing your plants! Weve been in our house just over three years now and the previous owner planted nothing aside from a cluster of paperwhites they must have gotten one winter. My moms yard has supplied many of the plants we have so far.

See you all in the morning!

• tejas_ruthie
    9 years ago

Where is everyone? ? I drove an hour & can't find you guys? Very very sad!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I just spoke to Sylvia and due to Trinity Park being closed for some event, we are revising the location. Enter Trinity Park across University from the Botanical Garden main entrance. We will meet in the parking lot to the right. There are folks there already.

Sorry for the confusion :-) Stuff sometimes just happens!

• Shan G.
    9 years ago

Sounds like the springtime park swap has turned into a trunk or treat!

• tejas_ruthie
    9 years ago

We are at the main entrance to TP! Come on by!

• Shan G.
    9 years ago

Im at the botanic garden main entrance, didnt see a park entrance adjacent?

• krysah
    9 years ago

We are across the street from the botanical garden entrance. In the park.

• krysah
    9 years ago

On the other side of university

• Shan G.
    9 years ago

It was great meeting everyone at the swap. Sorry to leave without formal goodbyes; the baby was getting fussy (he passed out in the car, lol.) Thanks for a fun morning (and for all the new plants!) I hope you enjoy yours from me too!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I just got home! Thank you everyone for the new plants! I need a nap too :-)

• tejas_ruthie
    9 years ago

I had so much fun meeting everyone! Would someone remind me what the name of this is? Starts with a c & has a "v" in it....?

• tejas_ruthie
    9 years ago

A big shout out to Sylvia for finding my glasses!!!

• krysah
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone. It was a lot of fun. When I got home, my husband asked if I came home with the same number of plants I took. I said no. His reaction was pretty amusing when he realized I meant that i had come home with more, not less!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

qqqqIt was fun to see familiar faces as well as new ones!

& that precious baby was fun, too!

funny thing happened when I left the park:

I went to see the iris show & discovered that they were selling plants in the hallway, to benefit their project to plant a Blue Star garden at a VA Hospital.

so I gave 'em all my lemon mint plants, lol!

edited to add:

For those who weren't at the swap...

we've reached a new level of plant-swap-obsession.

As the swap was winding down, we started accosting passers-by & loading them down with plants!

We gave them the gardenweb info, so maybe we'll see even more new faces at the next swap!

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to have missed it. I am sitting here with my knee elevated and iced and wishing so much I could have been there. Hopefully by fall I'll be fully recovered and able to walk right up to the table.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I had such a great time! I got so many new plants, I'll be busy getting them into their new homes. I love them all!

I love my non plant goodies too, I already got the new flag from Nazi and the bunny stepping stone from Darlene in the garden!

TR, I don't know what that one is, looks like a bromeliad to me.

It's raining here :-)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, you'll be "fixed" long before the swap...

the better to plant, transplant, fuss, & generally get ready!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Even though I didn't get to come to the swap, I think I've gotten a few plants today also. My dh is at a ranch where all kinds of wildflowers are blooming. He's out looking for a shovel now.

• positiveone2014
    9 years ago

What an awesome day! Thanks for all my plant babies! They are enjoying the rain. I'll look forward to seeing some of you at the Denton swap in May. In case anyone is interested, there are swap groups on FB. I joined a Ft Worth one. Happy planting :-) Nazi

• darlenegalindo
    9 years ago

Well after getting home and unloading yesterday and taking a nap, I got a lot done in the yard. I also worked all day today and my foot it killing me. Thinking about staying home tomorrow and playing outside again. Had a great time as usual. Can't wait for the next one!

• positiveone2014
    9 years ago

Two days in and I'm slowly killing PK's Texas Columbine and I don't know how to make it better. It is losing it's pretty flowers and some of the leaves look like they are dry and crispy. It got rain on Saturday and sun on Sunday and then I noticed it was dropping it's flowers. So I moved it to the shade. It seems like the leaves look dry, even though the soil is moist (but not soaked). and I watered it a bit more yesterday, so the soil feels damp but not soaked. Could it be it doesn't like the wind? I really love it and want to save it. Any tips would be appreciated.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Don't worry, just cut it back to a couple of inches high. It has a nice root system and is just angry that it got stuffed in a pot and relocated.

It will be okay. They always take a hiatus in summer and I just trim back any non-lovely leaves. It will put out fresh foliage. It only blooms in spring and mine that are in the ground are also dropping blooms, that's just the way they are. Absolutely normal for a transplant shocked perennial.

• purslanegarden
    9 years ago

I'd recommend to prune off the flowers, and even some leafy stalks. Let it adjust to your new surroundings first.

Having said that, I did transplant several columbines recently, and they didn't miss a beat. The rains certainly helped, but also the area I put them in were bright shade, or dappled sun at different times of the day. There were not fully dried out before the next rains, or morning dew, arrived.

What is the lighting condition like where you have put yours?

• tejas_ruthie
    9 years ago

Hi everyone! I took a picture of the wrong plant before. Can someone ID this plant for me? It looks like short mothers in law tongues. Thank you in advance.

• positiveone2014
    9 years ago

Thank you my plant sisters! :-) I need to plant it, trim and do a rain dance around it. It is confused with me moving it from full sun to full shade. My husband was laughing at me because I was apologizing to it and giving it positive motivation last night. Thank you for the guidance!

• positiveone2014
    9 years ago

tejas_ruthie(7) Might be Mother in Law Tongue

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

That is Mother in Law Tongue.

Nazi, the columbine is a shade plant :-)

• positiveone2014
    8 years ago

It is getting new flowers :-) I love happy endings!

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

PK- I planted the columbine in a shady spot that does not drain well. This wasn't a problem until yesterday's storms. Will it tolerate wet feet or should I move it stat? From what I've read online, they like 'moist' soil and dappled shade. Thanks!

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

No worries, it's got new leaves on it. I guess it likes its' new home!