Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loreleicomal

WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap

loreleicomal
9 years ago

Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers Park. Semi-annual plant swap. Please limit items to plants and plant related items: tools, seeds, gardening books and magazines, gardening supplies, cuttings, plants, etc. Please be prepared that all participants need to pay $1 for the park fee. The park is no longer free to rent and we all need to contribute towards the rental.

Comments (417)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ouch!

Bob says the same thing about me. NOT 'ouch', but living dangerously! LOL

All who have a ways to drive -- have a good and safe trip.

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

POTS -- Eric says he has too many, so does anyone else need black/green nursery pots in sizes 12-14 " and 18 " ?

• sigma3
    9 years ago

sure my mom/ could use couple large pots. I helped her load the truck full of rocks..

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I could use 1 of those 18 " ers..

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

Okay, I'll bring them, then. Yvette / Mara -- please remind me okay ?

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

@mmc371. that is fine. no problem. I should get there by 10 a.m.

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

Ok I passed all my trades off to my mom and my brother and they have a list of gives and receives. I also sent a few extras with them in case someone wants something and wanna trade. Bear with me if a label falls off though I can probably id them. Have fun and enjoy meeting my brother. He's getting into plants too.

• loreleicomal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great swap everyone! Thank you to all of you and see you on October 10!

• Eric (8B San Antonio, TX)
    9 years ago

Anyone loose keys on a small tape measure fob?

Ditto Lorelei. It was my first swap and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting all of you and making such interesting trades!

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

Yes, Lorelei, it was a lot of fun. Thanks to all who were so generous. I was glad to see everyone again and to meet new faces, too.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

@rozenkrutz, I forgot the manure. Oh, well. Thanks for all the plants you gave me. :)

• mcc371
    9 years ago

Wow!! I had a blast!! It was so worth it to come. Thanks to everyone who traded/ shared plants and things with me. Everyone was so kind and generous! I look forward to coming back to another swap in the future. Thanks Everyone!!

Have a beautiful day!

Tammy

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

Thank you for the donuts Papa and MamaChile and Dave for the awesome cookies. A huge thanks for the unexpected gifts from MamaChile and Jimmy -- so very generous of you both. I appreciate all of the wonderful non-plant contributions that you came up with, and thank you for coming up with great stuff ! Thanks to all who came, it was a great group....anyone count how many we had ? I wish I could have spent one-on-one time with everyone just to get to know you all better. Many of you have been coming for years and I barely get to say "hello." Please know that you are all tops in my book ! Great people and great plants.

• nbtonya
    9 years ago

Thoroughly enjoyed it, as always! Thank you everyone!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

There are photos! HERE

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Great fun & the weather held off!
    Thank you all for all the planning, arranging for the park (it's perfect--quiet, sheltered, convenient), the refreshments (mmmm, doughnuts & cookies), the kind help unloading (I'm speaking to YOU, Eric) & loading, the great information & wonderful plants, the fun of visiting yet again....
    Soooo glad I made it again. Best wishes to you all & if you think of anything you'd like from me, don't hesitate to e-mail or message--I'll be propagating lots of things this summer & can have them well established for you in Oct.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I absolutely failed in my l attempt to bring home less than I brought. You guys are not looking out for my better interest . you guys are absolute enablers, evil tempters , devil's spawn, all of you!!!!! I will never ever come again. NOT!!!!. A herd of elephants in tutus could not keep me away. Here is my husband looking into the insanity that is my car's interior. I even stopped and did food shopping on the way home. God it was hard finding a place for my food.

Here is what came out of that itty bitty car. OMG!!!!! what work have y'all have made for me. IT is all your fault. NOT. LOL .. Love all your generous souls.

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

Hey, Mara -- bet he just LOVED the rocks !!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

OH god has a weird sense of humor I have all the plants out of the car and a huge thunderstorm with 2" hail moved through. The beginning hail was huge and then tapered off but it was a cacophony and I sure hope I have plants left over. My car windshield got covered but god. Here is DH barefoot skiing on the mound of hail that overflowed out of our rain collection system.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Oh how funny!!!! Thanks for the laugh .... :-)

• nbtonya
    9 years ago

We got that hail, too. My first thought was for all my new plants. My DH was aghast that I wasn't concerned about my Accord that we have up for sale that was out in it. Oh well, we shall see how plants and cars fared shortly! That is a ton of hail he is skiing on!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

A FB friend of my husband by Lake Travis got 8" of hail and a 30" diameter oak splintered up. My aloes have different polkadots. The Trees lost half their leaves. No dents on the car but the Mexican frost plant I got from Erick will be cut to the ground it is ripped up really bad. Even the stalks are broken.

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

ooh, sorry about that, Mara. How ironic that the Frost plant is the one that got Iced!?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I think I can just chop it back to just above the ground and the roots will push out new ones.

• loreleicomal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mara , you're too funny!

• marcelina nunes
    9 years ago

Guys I wish I had been able to attend, pictures of the swap any one? I will definetly make plans for October 10. I really really want an aztec plant cutting seedling looking for a cutting of yesterday today and tomorrow also what is called mexican orange it has glossy green thick leaves blooms white and is fragant it grows like a tree? shrub? will try to look the botanical name for it. Years back Home depot use to sell it on the house plants but have not been able to find it anymore really really want this mexican Orange plant anybody knows where I can find it? thanks

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Marcelina, so sorry you didn't make it. Hope someone comes up with the plants you're looking for.

There are photos! HERE

• marcelina nunes
    9 years ago

Yes I went and saw them after I posted it looked like so much fun and as I said I am planing on going in October. This new format I ws not able to get in here and post so I just went ahead and registerd with houzz and presto! I was able to post now I am not sure what is going to happen to gardenweb old account. Will try and look into this at lunch today

• PRO
    Kimberley Johnson~Zina & Co. Real Estate
    9 years ago

Hi, All. I missed the swap, sadly, as I am looking for mountain laurel trees, as they are hard to find. If any of you who took some to the swap but didn't end up trading them would like to share/swap/sell to me, I'd love to talk to you.

• rozenkruetz
    9 years ago

It was fun, and quite fruitful. I am still trying to find places to plant everything. I may have to make more gardens.... mwahahaha.
    Marcalina nunes The mexican orange was probably a mock orange (Genus Choisya) They have them around here pretty frequently.

Thank you all for the plants, food, and help.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

westtx, have you looked at Home Depot? Ours had several natives, including Tx Mt Laurel.

• PRO
    9 years ago
    Thank you, marti8a, for your suggestion. I live in Alpine, far removed from a Home Depot, although I go to San Antonio monthly. If any San Antonioans know of any mountain laurels available at their area stores at this time, I could get one in a week or so on my next trip.
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    8 years ago

Westtx, I called two Home Depot stores and both had 5 gal. Mountain Laurels for $24.98 each. The two Lowes I called were out. I'll call Rainbow Gardens tomorrow.

While we still all together here, so to speak, does any one want 20 or 30 green bottles, labels cleaned off, all shapes and sizes? I can put them out on the curb for anyone that wants to pick them up.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Thanks so much, roselee z8bS.W. Texas! I'll be toodling down I10 on Monday! Thanks for checking into it for me. :)

• phoenix7801
    8 years ago

Like green glass bottles? Heck ill take them off your hands. Eventually Im gonna do a bottle tree

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    8 years ago

Okay Joey, the green glass bottles are yours. Message me or email me. I don't have your email since you were hacked.

Your Houzz page is not set up for messaging. If you want to change that go to your page, click 'edit profile', then click 'advanced settings' on the left side bar, scroll nearly to the bottom and check yes to "receive messages everytime' or something like that.

• sigma3
    8 years ago

Westx: I found some tx mountain laurel seedlings and started rooting some larger suckers if you still are interested.

• sigma3
    8 years ago

This plant was given to my mom at the swap. Does anyone know who it came from and what it is?? I think it might be basil but wasn't sure. Thanks again!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

It looks like Perilla. An herb. This is a guess. I did not give her a plant. It comes in different colors.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

looks like purple basil to me

• castro_gardener
    8 years ago

I think Geneva or Pat had perilla. I gave Mara two small ones and they looked similar. Although Geneva/Pat was calling it some sort of basil.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

Both are edible so one could give it the ild taste test.

• sigma3
    8 years ago

Ok taste test it is. Never had perilla so we'll see. Thanks for the input!!

• loreleicomal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It was from Geneva and yes, she said it was a basil. Ragna, If Joey doesn't pick up those green bottles, I'd love them.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    8 years ago

Hi All,

whats the date & time of this year's plant swap in San Antonio?

• castro_gardener
    8 years ago

Hi Sabalmatt -- yes we are having one on April 9. The posting is on the first page.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/san-antonio-plant-swap-saturday-april-9-2016-rogiers-park-dsvw-vd~3645269

• Jen Diaz de Leon
    7 years ago

boo, i just missed the swap but im happy to have found this group!!!. im excited for the one in the fall :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hope to see you there. We start the serious pre swap trading about a month before. So check in then. I am already rooting things. And planting things. some of us are crazier than others. Question to the powers that be. Have we a date for the fall one yet?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sat. Oct. 8, 2016, same place ... :-)