wanted: saps swap

plantmaven
14 years ago

Date: March 13, 2010.

Comments (91)

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have asked permission from SylviaTexas to publish here these guidelines which she has outlined for their Ft Worth swap. I believe they are all good ideas and can help newbies understand what they can expect at the swap, and what might be expected of them. And it never hurts to remind everyone else.

In some areas I may place my own notes within ****** marks just to make comments. Please feel free to make your own comments as well, since we all want everyone to feel comfortable with what we are doing.

SYLVIA:

Since we want everyone to have a happy, harmonious experience, we're posting info, hints, suggestions, & rules this year:

Bring your surplus plants, cuttings, seeds, garden supplies & tools, art, garden clogs... anything that another gardener could possibly use, & be realistic & respectful about what you expect to "trade" these items for.

(I sometimes bring a cat litter bucket full of rose cuttings, but I don't expect to get a brand new Ace Hardware wheelbarrow in return!)

Be sure your plants are well-hydrated, as travel & wind are hard on them, & we want to give our adopted plants the best start possible in their new homes.

Sturdy, permanent, not-easily-dislodged labels are most helpful, & info sheets are absolutely priceless.

********* I strongly urge and BEG ON MY KNEES for everyone to label their plants. We don't always label what is given us because we don't find the time in all the excitement! We always think that we'll remember what it was when we get home, but we don't. I've seen this over and over after every plant swap. Someone will post about a plant they got -- what is it ? who gave it to me ? I've done this, I know. I use window blinds for my labels. They last forever ! I usually bring along a notebook with pictures of plants that I have. It helps to show others what the seedling will look like full grown. ************

When arranging pre-trades, be sure that you & your trade partner are on the same page;
    if you offer a "plant" for a "plant", describe its size, size of the pot it's in, age of the plant, when you took the cutting from the mother plant, etc.

Nobody likes to be surprised or put on the spot;
    if I have a 4" pot of mint, & my trading partner has a 30 gallon palm tree, I'm going to feel uncomfortable-I don't want to take advantage of someone, & I might not have brought enough plants or other items to balance the scale-
    & my trading partner very likely expected more than a 4" pot!

Now having said that, if you have a palm tree & you can't handle it any more & you *want* to trade it for a 4" pot of mint, that's fine:

an equitable trade is one in which both parties are satisfied.

CUTTINGS:
    be sure that your trade partner knows that he/she is getting cuttings rather than rooted plants, & bear in mind that, while some cuttings will root, not all of them will, so bring a bunch.

When I bring that bucket of rose cuttings, I always have as many as possible of each variety;
    they "cost" me literally nothing, & I want to be sure my trade partner ends up with *roses*.

Helpful accessories include hats, sunglasses, drinking water, water for hydrating/watering plants, Sharpies, notebooks, little red wagons or some such, newspaper, extra boxes, cards with your name/email/phone # to hand to kindred spirits.

A good way to keep your "inventory" in order is to box your pre-trades & label each box with the trade partner's name;
    I my own self use a whole sheet of letter-sized paper & write the person's name in enormous letters;
    on one side of the page, I list what is in the box;
    on the other side, I list what that person is bringing me.

Complete one trade before you begin the next one:
    It's too easy to hand off your box to a trading partner only to find that they get lost in the shuffle while you try to answer questions from someone else, & someone else gets your plants from the trader, who has gotten carried away with swap fever.

If Possible PLEASE HELP new arrivals to unload & get set up, & DON'T SWARM them with your trade list or boxes!

I'd estimate that the very most confusion at the swaps occurs within 2 minutes of each person's arrival!

When you set up your space at the table, put your "availables" on top, your "already promised" pre-trades on the bench, & the things that you're taking home beneath.

GOOD IDEA:

put your own name on some boxes or at least to bring paper & a Sharpie to label what you're taking home.)

We've always kept rules to a minimum, but here are 2 that should be self-explanatory:

Do not stick a cutting in a pot & call it a plant.
    If someone discovers this at the swap, the person who did it will have to leave.

******** This is their rule, and it's a good one, but I think it's a little harsh. We've never asked anyone to leave, but I've felt like it a few times. I have been sorely disappointed and very upset when I received what was called a plant, only to discover at home that my "plant" was a cutting stuck in the dirt that morning. You may bring cuttings, of course, but please let the other person know that you have cuttings, and not rooted plants. Some cuttings will not develop into plants, and it makes the person feel like they've been ripped off. **************

Do *not* remove or "take" a plant from *anywhere*;
    the owner/trader must hand you the plant or item.
    This is the only way for everyone to be sure that they are satisfied & happy with the trade.

Remember, if there's a conflict over this, the trader/offerer/*owner* of the plant will prevail, so be sure that person wants you to have the plant.

If you remove a plant or other object from someone elses area, you will have to leave.

******** Again, we've never asked anyone to leave, although this has happened numerous times and almost all of the swaps I've been to.... and that's 2 to 4 swaps a year over a 10 year period. I have left this rule here just to show you how other swaps work. And to point out what is considered bad etiquette at ANY swap. **********

ORPHAN'S TABLE:
    Extra plants that we want to share without a trade will go onto an "Orphan's Table", which is to be left untouched until the door prizes are drawn.

****** We don't have an orphan's table, but it's a neat idea. Usually, we just announce out loud what we have left, or go around from person to person and ask if they want our orphans. The other group uses the Orphan's Table as part of their door prize event. when someone picks up their door prize, they choose something from the Orphan's table, too. Do you like this idea ? or stick with the way we do things now ? ************

Again: Don't Take, Wait Until It's Offered:

I cannot stress this strongly enough.

Do not take *anything*, even if you see your name on a box or a plant.

It isn't yours until the person who brought the item hands it to you, at which time you hand your trade to him or her.

This is the only way for traders to be sure that they don't lose control of their items before they know that they're happy with the item they're to receive in trade.

If you don't think the item you're offered is an equitable trade for your item, you can decline the trade.

One more "suggestion", but it's a *strong* suggestion:

Post your HAVES before you ask a trader for something they've posted.

OFFER SOMETHING when you ask for something;

a couple of times traders have agreed to bring someone a plant & then discovered that the person who asked for it hasn't brought anything in exchange.

Please don't put someone in this spot; it's tacky.

If you can't bring plants, bring seeds or food or *something* (one year someone brought me 6 cans of dog food!) as a token of good faith.

******* some swap posts have mentioned that people can bring food as a trade item. While this is okay for some people, many of us want plants for plants. That's why we attend the swaps. So, please don't be upset when someone won't accept your brownies for their prized begonia. *******

Gardeners are generous souls, but no one likes to be used;
    Please donÂt take advantage of someone's generosity.

If you come to the swap, please participate in it as fully as possible;

Offer *something* to any person who gives you something.

DOOR PRIZES:

If you can, bring a garden gift worth $10.
    not much more & not much less. (This way nobody will bring a $40 saw with handpainted bluebonnets & go home with a bottle of seaweed solution.)

******* We've never set a dollar amount for donated door prizes, and we've never made it a rule that everyone should bring one. It is totally voluntary. However, if you do donate something for a door prize, please make it a new or clean, next-to-new item. Save your used stuff and garden-junk for trades or give-aways. ********** I would also like to add that door prizes, in my opinion, should be for the active gardener participants in the swap. Not the grandmother, cousin, and 3 children that you bring with you. I don't think that's fair to everyone. Also, if your name is called toward the end, and there is nothing on the table which interests you, please pass it up and let it go to someone else, instead of complaining about it later. This is where it's nice to have new items and not an old potholder that someone's great-aunt crocheted 40 years ago. ************

********* We used to share a potluck lunch, and some other swaps still do the same. Instead, we bring our own sack lunches and stop for awhile to eat and visit. Kathy thinks I always want to eat too early ! I can't help it....I'm always hungry !! ******************

Please add your comments, complaints, or ideas about anything which might improve our swap. Nothing is written in stone. Everyone wants to have a good time and go home with wonderful plants, and new friends.

patty

• dstartz
    14 years ago

Than you for posting this, Patty!

I love the idea of an Orphans Table!!

"If Possible PLEASE HELP new arrivals to unload & get set up, & DON'T SWARM them with your trade list or boxes!"
    PLEASE!!!

"I'd estimate that the very most confusion at the swaps occurs within 2 minutes of each person's arrival!"

I absolutely understand and have expereinced that concept!!!

This year I plan to bring a small dry erase board, a marker and my camera. That way I can write down the plants' names and the trader, then take a picture of all of them together.

Must it be a 'garden' gift? I ask only because I find myself with 2 inexpensive portable MP3 speaker 'systems' that I bought for grandkids, but they got something like it from someone else. Conceivably you could use it in the garden while you're working....

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Okie dokie...at this point I have these seeds already showing their green heads:

Crimson Rambler Morning Glory
    Grampa Ott Morning Glory
    Moonflower
    Chamomille

I still waiting on the artichoke and shasta daisies to germinate but hopefully in the next few days. Also I'll be making some container soil similar to Tapla's 5-1-1 mix, gritty mix and also some cactus/succulent soil thats my own recipe.

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

Does anyone want Elderberry or Hop Tree? I can dig up a little Elderberry, the Hop Trees I have a few in pots.

• dstartz
    14 years ago

Would anyone be interested in rooted Butterfly Bush (Buddleja) cuttings? I have 3 varieties that I'm positive of*:

and
    that have plenty of growth that would be perfect for rooting.

*I have another variety that is suppose to be

but it looks like a Nanho Blue to me....

• dstartz
    14 years ago

I need to clarify what I wrote last...

My Butterfly Bushes have growth on them that would be perfect for rooting. If there are people interested in rooted Butterfly Bush (Buddleja) cuttings I will take cutting this week (the moon is in a good sign for it Mon-Wed) and will set them to rooting. Otherwise, I will leave them on the bush.

Sorry for such a confusing post previously.

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Yeah Id be interested in some rooted buddleja cuttings. Also the artichokes are sprouting...Joy!!

• dstartz
    14 years ago

In which varieties are you interested, Joey?

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Nanho Blue please...Okie doke all the seeds have come up except for the shasta daisies...I think the seeds were old so most likely there not coming up...we'll see

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna, would you be so kind as to start me a couple cutting of the Honeycomb butterfly bush?

Kathy

• dstartz
    14 years ago

Sorry, Kathy, but I started my cuttings earlier today and, as I only garden by the moon, today was the last day of this planting period.

I'll try to remember to take some cutting on Saturday, but I'm not making any promises as I will be in the middle of packing for a week long trip.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No biggie. Have a nice trip.

K

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

I can hardly get into my plant overwintering house to see what I've got in there to offer.

I think I have a Pink turks cap or two.

I know I have some yellow Mexican bird of paradise and Pigeon berry.

Also have more manfreda roots if anyone else wants some.

Can dig Coral vine roots, Fruit cocktail shrimp plant roots, and Toad lilly roots.

Will add more as they come to mind.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

I also have:
    Creeping Jenny - 2 small divisions, a little goes a long way
    Dichondra, Silver pony foot - Roots fast, so I can get more going if needed.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Anybody have some old ventian blinds for plant markers?

I'd be happy to trade for some.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Shirley, I'd like some Silver Pony Foot :-)

Also I've got seeds for:

*Celosia Flamingo Feather

*Velvet Pod Mimosa

*Evergreen Acacia Tree

*Hop Tree, Ptelea trifoliata (Wafer ash) ...

...In case anyone wants to start a Hop Tree nursery LOL -- but who wants seeds when they can get a little tree from Linda? Anyway I collected a bunch of seeds from a wild tree on Dreamland Drive by the rail road tracks. They look like potato chips! Not only are Wafer Ashes an attractive little tree, but they are a food source for the Giant Swallowtail Butterfly caterpillar.

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Jeez I'm always running into some venetian blind but never think to grab them. Oh well.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Roselee - Have you down for silver pony foot. ARE has it under many of their displays and there's a great display of it at SA Botanical too.

I have tons of blinds I can bring. Quite a few already cut and plenty uncut.

-Shirley

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

I have some more plants I came up with, a Pregnant Onion, a White Mistflower (Eupatorium havanense), couple of Cedar Sage, Sweet Autumn Clematis, Mountain Mint, Prairie Phlox and a Dead Nettle...can't remember at the moment which kind.
    Joey, just noticed you have Moonflower...could I have one?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Donna, just wanted to say I dearly LOVE the little hot house you and your hubby built!!!! You've got a lot of stuff started. Maybe you could baby sit some of my seeds and I could come and get them later ... LOL (just kidding ;-)

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Yes I got you down for a moonflower.

• meriberi
    14 years ago

Hey y'all -
    I'm excited that it looks like I will be able to make my 2nd swap! I still don't have anything to trade, unless someone wants plastic pots (4", qt, gallon) or cuttings of some of my more established plants (not sure how hard they are to root):
    - yaupon holly
    - glossy abelia
    - dwarf burford holly
    - viburnum suspensum
    - rosemary
    - mex. oregano
    - red tip photinia
    - regular green pittosporum
    - old garden roses: old blush, madame antoine mari, duchesse de brabant, archduke charles, souvenir de la malmaison

I'll definitely bring some bouquets of rosemary and mexican oregano; if nothing else, y'all can use it for cooking. IF anyone feels generous, I am interested in some of the things you've mentioned, but I do understand if you don't want to hand over your hard work for nothing:

plantmaven: aster, purple iris, columbine
    dstartz: crimson clover
    roselee: manfreda, pink turks cap
    rock_oak_deer: silver ponyfoot, Coral vine, Fruit cocktail shrimp plant, Toad lilly
    linda_tx8: White Mistflower (Eupatorium havanense),Cedar Sage, Prairie Phlox
    castrogardener: crinum, society garlic, salvia coccinea (any)

I'm also looking for lily of the nile, coneflower, daisies, ginger, or anything that does well in shade.

See y'all then!
    - Meredith

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Meredith you have mail. If you did not get it email me.
    plantmaven@gmail.com

Kathy

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Okay Meredith -- I've got you down for manfreda, and IF I have it, for the Pink turks cap. See you there :-)

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Hi Meredith - So glad you will be able to make the swap. You're down for the dichondra. I think the other items are on Roselee's list.

Mexican Oregano would be awesome, I needed some just the other day and didn't have any.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

You're right Shirley, about those things being on my list. I didn't read on down, so I'll be bringing those items too.

Incidentally Meredith, I found that Mexican Oregano roots very easily. You might want to stick a few branches in some little pots of soil and bring those -- no guarantees that they will root, but they very well might :-)

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

Meredith, I'll put those aside for you. I do need some quart-size pots! Keep in mind that White Mistflower can be shrub-size and usually blooms in fall.

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

I just potted up the moonflowers, morning glories and artichokes so in two weeks theyll be prime and also I have german chamomille. In fact the moonflowers right now are the strongest I've grown. Also bringing container soil(1-1-1 mix) and cactus/succulent soil. May bring some worm castings also along with some other things. Anyone interested in the Grande Hybrid Jalapenos? Thick 1.5x4 inch fruits?

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have sunflower seedlings up from the ones I grew last year. They have survived the last few light freezes we had.
    If anyone wants some let me know.
    Kathy

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Also will have for Meredith or anybody that wants it some starts of a groundcover mum:

*Chrysanthemum Pacifica.

It can take over a flower bed in perfect conditions, but is a nice groundcover for a difficult spot.

Sorry my list is so spread out, but I'm putting them on as I come across them.

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Id like some groundcover mums please.

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Like Roselee, my list will be spread out a little as I think of things. In addition to my long list above, I will need to dig up a LOT of banana canna which is over my septic tank. We'll probably have to dig it up for repair. UGH ! This is a red species canna with small red blooms.

I also have some yellow with red species canna, but not as much.

Also, some Bouncing Bet which I believe is a soapwort.

patty

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

What can I trade to get just a zap of all of the energy here, lol

How in the world are y'all able to get all of this stuff done
    Let's work out a trade, okay?
    jolana

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Ok so dumb mistake. Decided to try an put some of the seedlings out to see if they would like a bit of sun. And while they liked the sun, the morning glories arent too partial to radiational cooling. The crimson ramblers are wilted and the the grandpa otts are kinda wilted. The moonflowers seedleaves are a bit wilted but theyll be fine. Im praying that the morning glories are fine. On the plus side of things, the artichoke plants and chamomille are taking the cool night and striding through it like champions.

• dstartz
    14 years ago

It looks like I won't be attending this swap as only a couple of my seedlings and possibly a few of my cuttings will be big enough to bring.

I'm hoping the weather will be more co-operative for the Buda swap....

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Donna, I'm sorry to hear you aren't coming to join us in S. A.. You've done your best to try and get some plants ready. I don't know how far away you live from the SAPS location, but you could always come and just hang out for a while :-)

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Please email me if you are interested in a 5-year-old confederate jasmine. They were going to poison it at a shop here, but I talked them into digging it up for me to swap instead.

I also have quite a few American Pillar old garden roses if you want one. Original plant came from an old homestead in rural mississippi. the rose bush was the only thing left standing.

I sure hope we have more people coming on Saturday. I have heard from very few about swapping. If I didn't have a greenhouse with last year's seedlings in it, I might have only 1 or 2 things to bring myself. I know the weather hasn't cooperated with us much this year. I hope it gets better, all your plants POP soon, and if they do, please consider bringing them to the Buda swap. I have also been informed that there will be a swap in San Marcos in June for those who may be interested. I believe someone from another garden website will be hosting it. There are a couple of people here who know about it and may be able to give you more information if you are interested.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

patty

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Hey Patty and everyone, I am going to try to get to the swap but it will just be to visit, lol
    I think anything that I would be able to pull together, everyone would have, lol
    If I don't make it, all of y'all have fun and lol for me, okay?

• dstartz
    14 years ago

Thank you for the invite, Roselee, but I live in Alice and just can't justify the 270 mile round trip.
    Hopefully all y'all will be at the Buda swap too and I can visit with y'all there.

• phantom_gardner
    14 years ago

I am looking for angel trumpets. I missed out on a yellow one last swap. I think it was called Dr. Suess or something like that. If anyone has any and will be at the swap please let me know.

• princealbert
    14 years ago

phantom_gardner
    If you are not looking for a named brugmansia "angel trumpet" I will be bringing rooted cuttings from a NOID yellow and a NOID white both are singles. LMK how many you want and I'll pickout some with extra roots for you.

I will have around a total of 30 cuttings available if anyone else would like a couple. That's 15 of each.
    princealbert

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Hey Everyone ! Don't be shy....if there's anything on my list that you want, please let me know and I'll bring it especially for you. Otherwise, I won't be bringing everything that I have listed.

I have a long list above, and maybe a couple of single messages with one or two things that I discovered after making the main list.

Here's another one.... I think I have some pink trumpet vine plants coming up in the yard.

http://www.klru.org/ctg/plant/name/Pink_Trumpet_Vine/

want one ?

write soon ! Please email directly to guarantee I see it.

patty

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

I could use some cuttings princealbert. At the moment I have some moonflowers, artichokes, 1-1-1 container soil, cactus/succulent soil and some white rain lily bulbs

• Texan Gal
    14 years ago

Looks unlikely that I'll make it to this spring's swap. Hope y'all have a great time, and I"ll see ya in the fall!

Heather

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Ok, I gave it up until today, and went to check on what I have to trade. I have alot of tiny seedlings, nothing that I could take to the plant swap. I will have to wait until next year. I have ordered all kind of great seeds this week on ebay, and hope next year I can have something that everyone will want. Barbra,

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Hi Heather, so glad you checked in. I was just thinking of you while looking over my yard. Looks like the Phlox and Iris Dietes from last year are doing great. Hope to see you in the fall.

Shirley

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Ok...At this point I got moonflowers, artichokes, white rain lily bulbs, worm castings, 1-1-1 gritty mix, cacti/succ. soil. The morning glories just went all wobbly and weak on me and I really wouldnt subject anyone to them so I wont be bringing them. Would anyone like to try some Phalaenopsis mix that I personally am trying myself. I got the recipe from another forum and wouldnt mind someone else trying it out along with me. More to come probably...

• princealbert
    14 years ago

phoenix7801

I have 2 large daimeter cuttings saved for you. one is a yellow and the other is a white.
    PA

• princealbert
    14 years ago

The pics from today are up in in the discussions forum, if someone knows how you may put a link to it here. I don't know how to insert a hot link.
    pa

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Prince Albert, I just open both pages, move one page down from the top so the other page shows behind it, and pull down the little heart (or whatever the book mark looks like on the system you are using) from the page I'm linking to the URL line, OR you can copy the URL from the page you want to link and paste it in the first little box below the message box.

Again, thanks for taking photos!