Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

o
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap April 12!

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 10, 08 at 20:15

Mark your calendars & don't let anybody in your family graduate, get married, have a birthday, have a housewarming, or be sworn in to public office on April 12!

Does anyone remember how long we've been doing this?

I didn't realize, when we had the first one, that our swap would become something of an institution!

Place: Trinity Park
It's just north of I-30 on University, on the east side of the street, just across from the FW Botanic Gardens.

Time: real loose.
we usually start around 10 AM & "swap til we drop".
which is generally around 2 PM, since everybody will have traded, visited, & had lunch, & lots of people have to leave after lunch to take kids to events & such.

What to bring to trade:
anything as long as it's legal & somehow related to the garden!

plants, seeds, cuttings, garden art/junk/sculpture.

Plastic nursery pots, perlite/vermiculite, potting soil, bunny poo, mulch, etc are always highly desired!

(I my own self, being really enthusiastic about the garden but completely puzzled by the room they call a "kitchen", am always happy to trade for homemade bread or brownies or cookies or...)

You can trade anything to anyone for anything.

if the traders agree that a pair of bypass pruners is a good trade for a bucket of cotton burr compost (or a rosebush or a partridge in a pear tree), that's what counts!

Food: Brenda & her husband have "catered" lunch for the last 2 swaps, & it was *wonderful* for all involved;
we brought her lots of plants, & we didn't have to use valuable plant-space in our cars for food (& her husband is a good cook!)
She'll chime in here one way or t'other pretty soon.

If they want to cook this year, plan to bring her some wonderful plants & garden items!

(If they're not able to, then we can bring food to share.)

General suggestions:
wear comfy loose clothes & comfy shoes & a hat, & bring a sweater (remember last spring's blizzard???).
If you have room for a folding table, it'll reallly come in handy, as will a chair & a cart or wagon.

Notepad, pen, Sharpie, stickers or labels, ziplock bags, etc. just in case.

Door prize:

Bring fun prizes for the drawing;
when your ticket is drawn, choose your prize from the available or remaining prizes.

Last time I brought the Gardener's Survival Kit, a brightly-colored (easy to find!) container with small containers of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, lotion, etc, as well as band-aids, soap, aspirin, labels, can't remember.

People brought art, they brought craft items, & there were decorative pots, hand tools (trowels & forks& the like), garden aprons, bird feeders, lots of wonderful things!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap April 12!

• Posted by necia z7 N TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 11, 08 at 9:59

Sylvia,

This sounds like lots of fun! AND, being that April 12 is my Birthday, I think that I should come and celebrate! LOL Let me look at the calendar and start making apologies to my DD about missing her soccer game now. Maybe she will be accepting of the idea by the time April rolls around! If I come, I will be bringing along my Sister. She makes the world's greatest shea butter/goat's milk soap. She also raises dwarf nigerian goats, so maybe she can bring some poop!

I hope that you have tons of response!
Necia

o

Necia,

I would like to have some of that poop. I want to see how good my garden does with the real stuff. I hear everyone rave about it, also have read about how much better it is.
I know I will have Rock rose and Brazilian rock rose. Obedient plant, I'll post more as I know what is available.
Sylvia it can't be close to spring yet LOL but I'm sooooo ready for it. Thank you for getting this started.
Barb

o

I have it marked on my calendar. Don't know what I'll bring yet, but I'm working on some seeds. This just made my day.

o
Ft Worth Swap

necia, I can't handle the fragrance of milk, but if she makes plain shea butter soap, I'd love to have some, shea butter is *wonderful*!

don't know yet what I'll have...
well, I always have
cannas,
irises (mostly historics but the only time I know what color or what name is when they're actually in bloom!),
& Kwanzo daylilies.

I'm pretty sure I have a
Brazilian rock rose in a pot somewhere around here.

If warm weather arrives early enough, I'll have
Autumn Joy sedum,
mauve 4 o'clocks,
chocolate mint,
lemon mint,
peppermint,
spearmint,
& tall purple Mexican petunias (ruellia).

I should also have morning glory seedlings, some sky blue & some Grandpa Ott (bright red-purple, just gorgeous), & I have a jar of seeds somewhere.

Again, don't know which is which, life is a grab-bag!

I also have the tickets for the prize drawing, & some hand tools like spades & forks that someone gave to me for safekeeping at the autumn swap.

& I have several metal (best kind, don't shatter like brittle plastic) hanging baskets lined with spaghnum moss for prizes.

Barb, I know what you mean:

We haven't even had any temps colder than mid-20's, & I have cabin fever anyway!

o

Woo Hoo! I have the date marked on my calendar. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will be there.

Somebody said Poop? Who said Poop! LOL I'll take some of that there poop! I sure hope she has a lot of goats!!!! Seriously, I'm sure a lot of us will take your sister up on that offer VERY eagerly.

Sylvia, I got your message. I'll head over to the Denton Plant swap thread and post a date. No location yet, just a date. I have been SOOOO darn busy lately, haven't had time to park shop yet.

Ladies and Gents, I have NO clue what I will be bringing yet. As is the case with everyone else, I'll have to wait and see how everything is looking in the spring. I do have more plants this year than I did last, thanks mostly to the fall swap. I also am going to try my hand at winter sowing. Hopefully I'll have good success.

Chat later! Happy swap planning everone!

Rebecca

o

Looks like I'd better start saving the poop! :) We just moved here (almost barren 2 acres) so all I have volunteering so far is Dame's Rocket. But I'm wintersowing lots of stuff, so hopefully I'll have plants to trade.

I also have the soap, Shea Butter Lipbalm and Footbalm, Milk & Honey Sugar Scrub, and possibly Goat's Milk and/or Shea Butter Lotion to trade. Maybe even some gardener's hand salve if I can get some smaller jars. The jars I have right now are 4 oz, and since it's so expensive to make, that would be a big honking trade! ;)

I'd like to trade for drought-tolerant perennials/bulbs, daylilies, and well-rooted shrub & tree seedlings. I'm also looking for Jerusalem Artichokes and Mangel/Stock Beets for the goaties. And Sylvia, I need some different mints for next summer's Mojitos! :)

Thanks!
April

Here is a link that might be useful: p.s. Here's pics of my soaps, etc., if anyone wants to take a look

o

Hi April. I'm ordering a medieval garden seed collection and mangel beets are a part of the package. I don't know how many will come in the pack, but I doubt I will try more than 10 or so. We're not real big beet fans here. Your welcome to them if you want me to save them back for you.

Rebecca

o

Sylvia,
Please contact me asap. Cell or email. You should have both in the numerous emails and voices mails I have left for you,
Jani
San Marcos

o

Rebecca, that would be great! We don't like beets either, so they would be just for the goats. They're supposed to get HUGE, like 15-20 lbs each!

Thanks!!
April

o
RE: Hey Sylvia !

Hi - I wold love several of the lemon mint and several cannas. I don't know, what I will be bringing yet. I want to wait and see what will be peeking out at me and what has died. Then, I can make my list. One thing for sure though - I have a lot of 3 gallon pots. If anyone needs some. They are in good shape and will hold big plants or multiple plants. Oh, and some nice Brug cuttings.
Thank you. tina_2

o

I WANT IN!!! Didn't make it to the fall swap but maybe this time someone will want to make the drive with me! crossing my fingers. if i do make it i can bring veggie seeds, tomato starts (i plan on doing alot of those) and if anyone is interested, i can make bag bags (the ones you hang on a doorknob and stuff your plastic grocery bags into for recycling). oh i hope i can come......

o

Boy, caught this in the nick of time!!!! I plan on going to Chamblee's in early Feb. If you want to order roses from there, check their online catalog, then e-mail me. I will save you some money and you won't have to drive all that distance. I'll deliver your rose(s) at the swap. E-mail me for details.
For the swap, I will have some brugs, a rose or two and who knows what else!! Maybe kalonchoe, ice plant - the broadleaf kind with little red flowers.

Weldon

o
RE: HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap April 12! repost

Does anyone have Texas Ash seeds or seedlings??? I want some.
Also does anyone have aucuba? I'd trade for some cuttings.

Weldon

o

Tessa, I'd love some tomato seedlings;
see if I have anything listed that tickles your fancy.

Weldon, I have an aucuba, will be glad to take cuttings.

o

Thanks, Sylvia. Is your aucuba variagated? I am excited.

o

ok Sylvia! if i don't see you at this one, i will definetly be at the Denton one. I'll post at a later date what types will be available. thanks! jenn

o

Tessa, I would love tomato seedlings, as well. As of now, I do not have a list of what I will be bringing (I plan to attend both swaps), but hopefully, you can find something I have attractive to you.

o

hello all i have never been to one of these so could you please tell me alittle about how it works and maybe what to bring, i have lots of plants but they are all pretty common exept for my swisscheese philo.

o

Welcome, sedumqueen!

I posted a separate "how-it-works" thread, just to keep it easy for people to read.

hope you can make it to the swap;
you're sure to have great fun!

Yes, Weldon, it's variegated, & one nice surprise for me is that, although it's a tropical, it's still green right now!

o

got it carrie!

o

Gosh, it's so hard to think of gardening when it's freezing out and ice is in the forecast!! But then again, in just a couple days - it will be back in the 60's. Crazy :)

Anyway, I'm hoping to get to the FW swap - saw someone talking about bringing goat poop...... We raise cattle and I could bring bunches of cow poop - if anyone out there seriously wants me to bring some, let me know!

Mary

o

maryj21 my roses LUUUVVV cow poop.
And as usual I will most likely have some roses to trade.
BTW folks, remember that I plan on going to Chamblee's in Tyler about mid Feb. If you want to order roses from there, let me know. I can save you some money as well as a long drive.
I spent this cool dreary day starting cuttings of ice plant, scavola and small ivy plants. Hope they take so that I have enough to trade.

o

Fri, Jan 25, 08 at 21:40

Weldon, I have a quick question. On the ice plant, do you just snap a piece off, let it 'scab' over and then plant it in dirt? I have a pretty little ice plant that I would like to root and that is how I figured I should do it!

Thanks,
Necia

o
Woo--Hoo!!!

• Posted by dannab1 8. W. Tawakoni (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 26, 08 at 13:35

Missed the fall swap due to crazy work schedule and having to many unplanted "sale" plants everywhere! I am so excited to start planning for the spring one already!

I should have the following, pending good weather:

--turks cap
--pink reseeding salvia
--red RESEEDING texas salvia (can't remember the name,
hummers love it.....needs NO care)
--tropical milkweed (can plant lots in the greenhouse if wanted)
--lots of native (probably invasive) vines
honeysuckle
jasmine
--short pink mexican petunia
--dutchman's pipe if seedlings do well in greenhouse
--yellow spring blooming rescued climbing rose -- climbed 12-15 feet up my tree 1st season covered with yellow blooms last spring and made fabulous red hips in fall)
--confederate rose

wanted:
--profusion zinnas-seeds or plants
--roses I can't kill!
--hardy passion vines--the ones I got at the butterfly sale at TDG didn't come back
--wisteria
--any reseeding or perennial butterfly plant
--Dog treats
--garden art
--???? (husband thinks I don't really need any more plants...what could he be thinking!)

IF you got plants from me last year please let me know how they did as it was my first trade! Especially interested if any of the "redneck lupines" survived and how they did.
you can email direct at donebydanna@verizon.net.

o

Danna, I'd like some of the tropical milkweed. The seeds on mine didn't get to dry out before we got hit with a bad frost.

I had them planted with some mums of the same color and it was really pretty in the fall.

I'll look to see what I have to trade. I know I have salvias, maybe some snap dragon seeds, yellow cannas.
I'll post later of what I'll when things start waking up LOL.

o

Tina--I'd like a brug if you have some. I should have cannas.

Mary--I'd love some of that poop.

I also have zinnia seeds, but I don't know what kind they are--big and pretty and reseeded second set of flowers that flowered twice in one season.

I should also have some tomato seedlings if I don't kill them first (beefsteak I believe, but not sure). Who knew that a $1 tomato kit from walmart would have all 50+ seeds sprout?

o

Hi alley - Sure ,I will save you a brug.
What kind of cannas do you have? Plmk. Thank you - tina_2

o
RE: Hey Danna !

Hi - Danna ! I got a b. fern and the ''redneck lupine'' from you at the swap. The fern is doing fine , but I haven't seen any life yet from the lupine yet. Maybe it will come up later.
I would love the turk's cap. I got a very strong start, just by luck of a passionvine from a garage sale. I could see the leaves and vine near the alley - it looked massive!. I asked about it and the man said, go tear some off -it's all over my yard,%^&*(( and I can't control it & I'm tired of it. So, my hubby had a pocket knife, thank goodness! I went over and started cutting and a few rooted starts came out. Couldn't see them for all the growth. Anyhoo - I was happy all the way home!
And that little bit is still growing through our freezing cold temps. SO - let's pray! If, it keeps green and growing - I will bring you cuttings!!! Thanks - tina_2

o

The swap will be the day after my birthday, whoo-hoo! What fun. I have NO IDEA what I'll have; best bet at this point is caladiums, cannas, and whatever seeds I can get to come up before then! Might bring a hibiscus and a lantana. Anybody want pothos?

I'm looking for raspberries and blackberries. Doesn't have to be thornless or anything fancy, I like the wild type just fine.

o

I think I've lost my beautiful ice plant;
it's funny, last winter seemed worse than this one, but my tender & tropical plants came through last year fine, & they're dropping like flies this year.

What was my point?

Oh, yes.

I just stuck broken-off pieces of ice plant into pots of reasonable soil & kept them moist & shaded, & they grew.

same with Turk's Cap;
once you have one healthy growing plant, you can make all the Turk's Cap you want!

o

Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 20:04

Thanks, Sylvia. I will break off some pieces and root them up. If they take root, I will bring you some at the swap!

Necia

o

Which ice plant are you referring to, Sylvia? I have the small leafed one that has the tiny red blooms on it if you would like.

o

That's what I had!

nice bright green succulent-type leaves & tiny, daisy-like, neon-red or neon-hot pink blooms.

thanks!

o

Y'all have a great time!

o

Tina-I'm not sure what color the cannas are. I haven't seen them yet. I'm fairly sure they'll come up, but my neighbor gave them to me after they flowered (probably orange).

I'm working on my wish list and my have list. So far, not much of either. Although, I'm farther along on my wish list than I was at the fall Fort Worth swap.

o

Sylvia, would you like me to just cut you some long runners so you can pot them in whatever you would like? I have mine in hanging baskets, and it needs trimming badly. I could just cut the day of the swap and bring those to you if you are agreeable.

o

sure!

I love the way that stuff grows, it makes me look like such a *good* & gifted gardener!

o

You've got it !!!!

o

I have some yellowish ice plant; I'll bring a couple of those.

o

necia, I just break off a small stem of the ice plant, put
it in good potting soil and let it grow. I do keep it moist and mist occasionally. You can also, pull off some leaves and
without breaking the stem, cover it with soil and let it root
(is that called pegging?)

Remember folks, I go to Chambless's in a couple of weeks. I can save you some money on roses and deliver them to the swap.
E-mail me for details ASAP.

Weldon

o

Mommyfox--I might want a lantana if you have one. at the moment I'm trying some seeds that I got in a swap. A plant might be better (especially if the seeds don't work).

Don't know what I'll have yet--depends on what comes up and what germinates (and lives long enough to make it to the swap). If my hostas come up, I can have some of them. Possibly the same with gingers (doubtful if they made it, but I pulled some mulch back the other day and saw green--a good sign right?).

o
RE: Hey Alley!

Hi Alley - Did you say gingers? If you did - I would love some. I don't know, what you are looking for. Maybe you could post your wish list here? That way ,I can see if I have something that you are needing. Thanks - tina_2

o

Ok now I'm a little more coherent and can post a real list.

PLANTS I HAVE:
the ever-present pothos
Artemesia (like dusty miller)
Violets
Asian Jasmine
Lantana (white/yellow "popcorn")
Dwarf Columbine
Liriope
Cannas
Boxwoods (as many as you want. I'm moving away from the "green mustache" look my house has now.)
Ice plant (yellow)
Cannas

SEEDS I HAVE:
Dwarf Columbine (parent was pale pink; another was dark purple; haven't raised them long enough to know if their offspring will bloom true)
Spider Flower/Cleome
Love-Lies-Bleeding/Amaranthus
Abutilon - mixed, apricot
Balsam
Flowering Tobacco
Larkspur
Hollyhock
Hyacinth Bean

Depending on how crazy my nesting instincts go here in the next week or two, I might get some of these started as seedlings. We'll see.

WHAT I WANT:
Ginger (How is it I have so much shade and no ginger yet?)
Balloon Flower
Purple Oxalis
Redbud Seedlings
Herbs
Summer Bulbs
Bat-Faced Cuphea
Turk's Cap
Blackberries
Trumpet Vine, Crossvine or other flowering vine that likes afternoon shade and gets ginormous.

BTW, to get a little cross-husbandry stuff going, I also keep fish, so if any of you without plants have fish-related stuff you'd be interested in trading, lemme know!

o

WOW this sounds like SO much fun!!
I will definitely try to make it.
I'm a newbie, so probably can't bring seeds BUT can bring bush & tree cuttings from our heavily wooded lot & I'm sure I can "scrounge" up some yummy baked goods to trade.
Do yall typically bring kids? My girls would love something like this as they're more excited to have a garden this yr than I am! haha
Anyone else in the Alvarado area? Know of good inexpensive places to get plants, seeds? Trying to garden on a budget......so far have found some GREAT info on this site & others.
Look forward to meeting yall soon
Hugs & God Bless,
Vikki

o

As I've heard before when I asked about kids last time, "sprouts are always welcome!" I'm going to be bringing an infant, weather permitting. Just be aware it's near a big street, so rambling toddlers might need a leash or somethin'. :-)

o

momfox-

I'll be on the lookout for redbud seedlings, & the Turk's cap should be green enough to separate some, or at least take cuttings, by April.

& I used to have some White Butterfly Ginger, will see if it returns.

o
RE: Mommyfox and vine for shade......

Hi mommyfox - I may have your vine for shade. It is variegated / green with cream edges - the flowers are a bluish purple. If you will email me, I can send pictures of it.
Thanks - tina_2

o

Julie, I'd like some Love-Lies-Bleeding/Amaranthus

Tina-2 what is the vine your have, I need something for my hopefully new arbor and it will be in morning sun then full shade by 10:00 am.
Who has the cow pooooo I'll take a some, don't need a lot of it just enough for roses.

Here are a few thing's I've seen coming up for trade, Lark spurs color unknown.
Also have Rock rose, Brazilin rock rose.Tall purple mexican petuna.
Thing's I'm look for:

Desert Willow tree seed or seedling

Will return with update once thing's start showing their little heads.

o

I spent the week-end planting trees for my brother & sister-in-law (can barely move today!), & found that they have beautyberry growing *wild*....

so I can bring some to the swap!

& if anyone has fruit tree seedlings:

They have *one* each peach, plum, & apple trees, so they need another one of each for pollination.

o

Wow I just checked in & see that I'm a little behind with the goings on.
I can't wait, but will have to wait til closer to the swap to see what I'll be bringing.
Already have something for the prize table.

I will make some name tags if you email me with your name & user name

Debbie

o

I have some desert willow seedlings and seeds (well, the seedlings just sprouted from my winter sowing, so they are very small at the moment). If I don't kill them, I will have plenty.

o

is there anyone who is bringing aroids,christmas cactus, or swisscheese philodendron this year? im from alvarado texas and cant find any.

o
RE: Want: Evergreens for Windbreak

just talked to my sis-in-law, & they want to plant a windbreak along the long side of their property line.

They live just east of Terrell, & the soil is a combination of sand & clay;

Eastern red cedar or something equally tough & carefree would work best.

If someone has some seedlings, red cedar or anything that would work, please let me know what you'd like in return.

As yet, the only thing stirring around here is the Crimson King historic iris:
I have 2 buds already!

This is the purple intermediate with a white beard;
it was the first to bloom last year (March 8), & then some of them bloomed again in late May or early June.

Of course, I always have cannas, sedum, mints (chocolate, lemon, spearmint, peppermint), obedient plant, landscape iris, & blue mistflower.

& I'll have mauve crinums, sizeable ones, & I hope to root some Turk's Cap by Swap time.

o

Was just out checking things - urging them on, grow grow grow while you have the chance!! Trying to wake them up I guess.
I do have lots of oregano and thyme that survived for a couple of years now. Let me know if I should pot some up.
I'm forever pulling ivy off the trees, so let me know if you would like that too.
Most other things, are still too few to split up yet.
Guess those who want them have the aprons. . . . anyone interested in hats or visors this year with the GW embroidery?

Dorothy

o

I'll be there again. I have a lot of seeds for columbines, a solid lavender, a yellow one and a pink/yellow one. I don't know if you call them dwarf or not, they are about 15"-20" tall, so I guess that's a standard height.

I have some pink 4 o'clock seeds and may have some starts by the time the swap rolls around. I'm just starting my seed flats-good thing we always eat sitting in front of the TV so the kitchen table is available for seed starting.

I'll have some other plants too, not sure what all, but no matter what, I am really looking forward to the swap and to seeing all my friends again. Cheryl

I have a couple of cute things for the prizes this year too.

o

Sylvia, I would love one of the mauve crinums if you have plenty.

o

Sylvia,
" I would love one of the mauve crinums"
I say .... Me Toooooo!!!
Donna also says Please

Dorothy,
yes Donna & I would love a visor with the GW embroidery - to match our aprons. ;o)

Goat poop, Cow poop I'm up for some - well at least my garden is. lol

Sedumqueen,
I would love a start of the swisscheese philo.

I would like both the red & the yellow ice plant. I lost both of mine last year with all the rain, rooted or clippings either will work.
Turks cap too!

Alley,
Donna would like hostas - her squirrels liked hers so much that she has to start over.

April,
I'd love to trade for a few of the Shea Butter Lipbalm. My grands always have chapped lips. I'm sure that they will want to be there with me.

I have started some seeds & hopefully I'll have some passies, Magnolia Jewell sprouts (came off my tree last fall - first time so crossing fingers that they'll sprout)
I can't remember what else I have in there but I'll let ya know when they start coming up. I'm getting excited WooHoo
I don't know what Donna has going on in her garden next door, she's waiting to see what's coming up.

o

carrie, debbie, donna, yep, I'll bring you some crinums!

o
RE: Little Sprouts.......

Hi - Look, what I just found. First bloom of the season?
This vine, only has the one little bloom. Of the whole garden, this is the only flower. Isn't it strange?
I was hoping, to find buds on my iris. I just can't believe it! I wanted to let you all know - I will bring something special for the ''little sprouts''. Anyone bringing little kids, can I get a count of about how many? I, don't want to leave anyone out! Please email me.
Hey Debbie - I have been trying to email you. Drop me a line ,when you can.
Happy Gardening - The forsythia is blooming! Spring is on it's way! Yay!

o

Tina, that looks like variegated vinca;
it's wonderful under trees!

(don't remember if I replied earlier, but I do have you down for some cannas & lemon mint.)

I cruised through the garden this afternoon & made note that I can bring Louisiana iris, some are purple & some brilliant golden-yellow, lamb's ears, &...uh, some other stuff.

o

alley, I'd love to have a seedling of the desert willow......I have salvias and one I'm hoping to have is Hot Lips this is one great salvia to have.......When covering the saliva today I noticed babies all around it.

o

Here's my current trade list - looking forward to April 12:
WANT: dwarf cockscomb, columbine, corkscrew willow, ginger, rock rose, crossvine, red yucca.
HAVE--PLANTS: garlic chive, mums, Turks cap, crinum (fall bloom); WINTER SOWN SEEDLINGS: Buckeye tree, larkspur, swiss chard(good for mixed pots), parsley, Roma tomato; SEEDS: larkspur, cypress vine.

Dorothy B.

o
RE: Off topic.

Hi - I have a few things, I am trying to get rid of. All are garden related. If interested, please email me directly.
I can send you pics. of each item.
Thanks for your time. tina_2

o

Alley, I'd really like some desert willow; dirtmamma, some garlic chives and parsley please. I am working on cuttings of ice plant (red), scaevola, white and dble pink kalancho, probably a rose or two. Who knows what else!.
PLEASE e-mail me with requests. I'm not on here that often and
can't guarantee that I'll remember by Apr. 12.

Weldon

o
RE: Hey Debbie.....

Hey Debbie - I have sent you 3 - emails that come back as ''blocked''. Can you check it out? Thanks - tina_2

o
name tags for the ft worth spring swap april 12!

Hey,
I have sent an email with the name tag choices to everyone that I have an email address for.

Some of you have your email blocked or not listed. If you want to be included then send me an email & I will forward the choices to you. I have them saved in a pdf file - will open with adobe acrobat - if you don't have that program let me know OK

OH & TINA SAID SHE WAS TRYING TO EMAIL ME THROUGH GW & THEY BOUNCED BACK - SOOOO ...... copy & paste my email from my page into your own email & send it that way. OK

Debbie
debbiedo7

o

I will bring single yellow and pink brugmansia cuttings. I got cuttings from some nice garden friends in Fall 2006, and they grew beautifully in 2007.

Does someone have double or triple brugs?

o
RE: Ft Worth Spring Swap April 12!

HI!

I'm new to the forum, having just met Sylvia today. I will see what I have in the gardens, but some things I should be able to share are:

: Agave pups
: Aspidistra (I don't know if I'll have solid green or variegated; they all seem to turn variegated on me)
: Rain lilies (just a few, these are precious to me :)
: Arum Italicum (probably small pups - I'll pot some up)
: I have tons of the tall pink (Chi-Chi) Mexican petunia if anybody wants some
: I have tons of Obedient plants if anybody wants some
: I can get seeds or maybe even starts of trumpet vine
: I should be able to dig up some elderberry plants
: Narcissus will be done by then, but if anybody wants some I might have Ehrlicheer or Avalanche (Seventeen sisters) - I'll try to mark them as they bloom

I'm moving from Euless to Quitman, so I'd like to pillage the yard here of anything worthwhile. If it takes too much sun I may not have a spot for it unless it's something really special to me. . . my sun in Quitman is limited to street-side and a small plot.

o
OOOPS: Ft Worth Spring Swap April 12!

OOPS! Would have helped if I added my name to my intro - I'm Lin in Euelss, soon to be Quitman

o

Hi, Lin in Euless soon to be in Quitman, I would love a start of the variegated aspidistra as mine is all solid green.

o

Hi Carrie -

Will you have any of the all-green aspidstra to swap? I would love to get a start - and hope it stays green!

I am SO looking forward to meeting all of you.

Lin

o

I do not have a lot of it, Lin, but will happily get a start for you. I have you on my list (if I can just remember where I put the list ---grin).

o

Guess I better start a list too! I have more to give than I know to ask for, since I'm moving to the sandy soils of east Texas. Some of my plants are there in pots already, so I need to make the list to set them aside for the trade.

Lin

o

Welcome Lin

I would love some of the rain lillies, both of the types of narcissus, Obedient plants, some of your elderberry plants & some of your petunia's.
I don't have my total list of what I'll be bringing yet but should soon

I also sent you an email about the name tags.

Debbie

o

Debbie, I saw your note with the name tags - they are beautiful!

I will put aside some of all of the above for you (hoping I get the right seedlings for each :). I am using this guide to keep me straight - http://plant-materials.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/plantid/herbaceous/CentralSeedlingID.html

I always have to warn people of both the obedient plant and the ruellia - they can take over!!!

o

Hi, Lin, fancy meeting you here, snork!

I really enjoyed our visit the other day.

Fellow Texas-Forum gardeners, not only does Lin love plants & gardening, she also has a truck-sized shaggy dog named Kinky-
now you *know* anybody like that has *got* to be a fun person who'll fit right in with our bunch!

o

I am really looking forward to meeting Lin.

o

I'm redesigning a bed that has displeased me, so I have some additional wants to add:

Rose of Sharon, blue or purple
Bridal wreath spirea
American Wisteria
Dutch hyacinth
Rain lilies
Lamb's ear
Gayfeather

o

Mommyfox--I have some rose of sharon seeds, but I think they might be white (came from my aunt's bush and I can ask her for sure what colors they are.) These are the flatish seeds with a fuzzy tuft--I've seen 2 different plants named Rose of Sharon. Actually, I have the other one's seeds too (I think the althea).

I also have a lamb's ear.

o

Gosh glad I checked in here. Hubby and I will be there with our trusty grill. Can't wait to see everyone. Is everybody OK with hotdogs/chips again. They are pretty easy and also you can walk/talk/swap while you eat.

o
wanted

• Posted by dannab1 8. W. Tawakoni (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 18:26

I have the red turk's cap and will have lots of babies.

Does anyone have the white or variegated (green-and-white foliage) varieties? I would love to mix them in a bed!

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated turk's cap

o

Dannab - is your hubby coming. As I recall he likes his hotdogs a little on the "crisp" side. lol

o
RE: Hi Dorothy ....

Hi - What color are the mums and crinums? Thank you - tina_2

o

Ambersas - Ruben, our cook and my DH would love a hat with something like "The Cook" or "The GW Cook" or "Ruben The Cook" on it if you have time.

o

Now if I could only get my truck-sized dog to help with gardening, I'd be set!

As I wandered around my shade garden this week, I saw that I have a ton of Spanish Hyacinths (I'm pretty sure they're Hispanica Excelsior) that I need to dig up (a gardener's work is never done). If anyone wants some, let me know and I'll throw some in pots to bring with me.

I've also been digging up all of the Summer Snowflakes (leucojum aestivum) that I see blooming - and that aren't under the roots of some now-large shrub - I might have a few of those to spare.

I'm really interested in plants that grow in shade (since most of my new 15 acres is in shade) - not American Beautyberry, that grows wild on my property, but other plants or understory trees.

I am so glad that I stumbled onto Sylvia who guided me to this site!!

Lin (and Kinky the big scruffy dog)

o

All right, what's going on in there???
you kids are waaay too quiet!

It looks like I'll have at least one Seven Sisters rose to spare;
it's a real rambler;
the one I planted about 12 years ago is twined through the fence, & it climbed the crepe myrtle years ago;
there are times when it looks like the crepe myrtle has burst into flower...
with roses!

If anyone has some shade or bright shade, Lin's Spanish Bluebells are beautiful things;
I started a little patch years ago, & I love them.
They return every year, & they're *blue*.
not blue-ish, not lavender.
*blue*.

Lin, the only shade plants I can think of right now are my groundcovers:
vinca, variegated vinca, & vinca minor.

but I make up for the lack of variety by having a ton of them!

Maybe mommyfox will have violets to spare this spring;
they're beautiful in shade.

I got 2 from her last autumn, planted them in a livestock trough, & they're peepiing out again already!

o

Lin,
After reading Silvia's post I looked up the Spanish Bluebells
& yep could you add them to my want list.
I also see you have Summer Snowflakes (leucojum aestivum)
they are gorgous yes to those too!!

I have got several people that chose
their design for the name tags & sent
me their names.

Sylvia
Dana & Lane
Brenda & Ruben
Weldon
Mary J (if she attends)

So please make your choices
& send me an email with your info

I picked up the magnetic backs yesterday
& I'm ready to get this project going.

Thanks
Debbie

o

Yay Debbie! I've got you down for those! I'll think you'll be pleased, they both do very well here in DFW. Did you get my request for nametag? I think I sent it yesterday...

I also have to share some short blue/purple Mexican Petunias (I brought them from Florida ~ 10 years ago and they've done well). I could also see if I could dig up some of the native Beautyberry if anyone wants to take some off my hands ...errr ... rather wants these lovely shrubs! I've been mowing them down as they're VERY happy in east Texas.

Lin

o

Lin,
Sorry yes I do have you down, I just missed it
when I made the list on the last post. I guess
you've twisted my arm so tight that I cry UNCLE
YES I'LL TAKE THE MEXICAN PETUNIA. LOL if you
believe that you had to twist my arm - then well
I'll sell you some ocean beachfront in Dallas.
snicker snicker.

Like Sylvia has said before ..... my name is Debbie
and I am a plantaholic.......yep I miss all the
meetings cause I don't wanna change.

OK this is what has sprouted so far.
MG Scarlet O'Hara
MG red with white eye
MG Blue
Convolvulus red (MG bush)
***What was I thinking planting these
so far ahead before the swap.
I know I wasn't thinking. LOL ***

striped Carnation
Hollyhock mix (Country Romance / Chatters Double)
Scabiosa Double mixed

I have a lot more that hasn't sprouted yet.
Lord how am I gonna control MG's
for another whole month.

o

At least the short purple Mexican Petunia is well-behaved (unlike the Chi Chi pink) - I had it planted as a border along my stepping stones and I can't see that it has seeded itself anywhere - the clumps do get bigger though.

I can't wait till this swap!

Lin

o

Here is what I have. Let me know if I'm off.

I don't have much yet, but I'm working on things, so I can't post a great list yet. I still have to see what happens with all my seeds and winter sowing. So far, things seem to be ok.

I have tina--brugs for canna and ginger (I am seeing some green coming from the ginger area. I don't have tons to begin with, but should have some to spare).

Mikeandbarb--salvia for desert willow (assuming the seedlings make it. They are winter sown, and so far so good--only 1 set of leaves though.

Weldon--same thing on the desert willow
Mommyfox--gingers
dannab1--I see you want zinnia and perennial butterfly plant. I have butterfly bush seedlings (same goes with them as the desert willow on survival). I have zinnia seeds if you want them--not sure of variety, mixed colors).

debbiedo7--you want some of my hostas. So far I haven't seen signs of them. But, if they make it and come back, I should have some.
dirtmamma--you want rock rose. I have some of those too.

Here is what I'm also working on having:
pomegrante (don't know how well they do here, but I might have tons)
daylillies
cannas
irises (white and purple--some are getting ready to bloom)
monkey grass (smaller ones)
cleome (just have seeds winter sown--nothing sprouted yet so don't hold your breath.)
mums
I can have some oleander if someone wants.
daturas (working on seedlings, but many of my winter sowns are sprouting. If they all make it, I'll have too many)
medallion plant (I have a few seedlings going)
Not sure what else. I'll have to update this later.

What I'm looking for:
turks cap
salvia
brugmansia (sp??--angels trumpet)
lantana
fushia
peonies (not sure how they'll do here--I've read mixed results. I'm in east parker county and I've read they do ok)
bleeding hearts
anything

Mommyfox--you said you had lantana and some tobacco seeds.
Sylvia--you said you had blue mist flower, turks cap and louisiana iris.
I'd like some of those. Hope I'll have something you want.

o

Hi alley - Please don't forget some medallion plants for me.
Also, what color are your daylilys? Plmk.
Thank you - tina_2

o

Lin - I would love to have some Spanish bluebells and summer snowflakes. I'll trade you lunch. Brenda

o

Brenda, that's great! Food for plants - that's my kind of trade!!

I'll be able to have a generous pot of Spanish bluebells, but there will just be a few of the summer snowflakes - some of the ones I went to dig up are WAY under the roots of a yellow buddleia and all i got for my trouble were the tops :(

Lin

o

Alley, I DO want pomegranite. I can dig up some turks cap for you and will have several other things that will get your attention.

Going to Chamblee's Mar. 12. Get your rose orders to me.
PLz e-mail them rather than posting here. So far have over 30 ordered.

o

Alley,

I do have a lantana or two - they're white. That ok?

o

Alley, I've put your name down for the blue mistflower, La iris, & Turk's cap (hope it'll emerge & have time to root by 4 12!)

Right now I'm too frazzled to think about things to add to the garden, will check back later-
but if you cook or bake, I love homemade bread & double chocolate brownies & oatmeal/dark chocolate chip cookies!

o

I am a fairly decent baker (just don't do it very often). I do great greeting cards (anyone up for a set of birthday etc cards?). I'm also a scrapbooker, but find it too personal to do premade layouts for other people. I need the photos first.

White lantanas are great.
The pomegranates have at least one set of true leaves (a good sign in my opinion).
The daylilies my mother gave me are orange. Not sure of the others. They are growing nicely and should know soon.

I'll have to wait and see on some other stuff. This winter sowing is awesome and fun.

o

If anybody has a vine that will grow in shade I'd love to get a start of it. Also looking for lantanas. And I adore brugs.

o

Brenda, how about vinca?

I have vinca, variegated vinca, & vinca minor (itty bitty dark green leaves).

& I have English ivy, too.

o

My wife and I will try and make it. We are in the Dallas area and if we have the time we will come. Right now all I have to trade is 10 Confederate Rose cuttings from my grandmother's bushes in AL. I checked on them last week and some had some buds on them but no roots. They are still sitting in water in the garage.

o

Welcome, element 321!

looking forward to meeting you & your wife!

Confederate Rose is gorgeous!

o

Hi everyone. I'm gonna list the names of everyone that I have for the name tags. I'm itchin to get started on the tags but ..... there are 15 spaces to the page & LOL I only have 9 so far .... sooooo if'n ya haven't picked please do so.
So far everyone has a different design - which is why I designed so many to try & let everybody's personality shine on them. If your personality is the same as someone elses that's good too.
I will be hitting up Donna & my grand's to choose theirs this weekend.
Waaahhhh I have a new toy & can't play with it yet. LOL

1. Brenda / barefootbrenda
Arbor with garden bench

2. Ruben / the cook
cook at grill

3. Danna / dannab1
picket fence w/ orange flowers

4. Lane / dannab1s hubby
Rabbit digging

5. Lin / barkingdogwoods
garden scene

6. Sylvia / sylviatexas
daylilies

7. Weldon / weldontx
3 roses

8. Dorothy B / dirtmomma
3 windows

9. Debbie / debbiedo7
garden fairy cup

OH AND UMMMMMMMMM I HAVE BABY GUPPIES THAT NEED NEW HOMES.
DO YOU HAVE AN AQUARIUM & WOULD LIKE SOME BABIES? LET ME KNOW & I'LL BRING EM TO THE SWAP

PLEASE ADOPT A GUPPY OR 2 OR 3 OR 4 OR EVEN 10 lolol

o

Lin I'd like some Spanish Hyacinths. I have some Texas yellow columbine, I also have creeping mexican petunia, great for ground cover, spreads about a foot or so, does not get to out of hand like others.

Alley, salvias that I have are, Black N Blue, Autumn red evergreen, Tropical Pink, Lady in Red, Maybe Hot lips evergreen and Bog Salvia, I love this one but it is on the wild side pretty little blue flowers.

Julie, I have a double purple Rose of sharon if you want a cutting to root?

o

typing one handed holding infant - whooo i been up since 4!

barefoot in texas, I hav a white lantana.

fairy for nametag?

barb, want ros cutting - instructions?

have irises, asian jasmine, algerian ivy

o

mikeandbarb--I'm up for anything. I don't know the names of each salvia to know what I'm looking for or what you're talking about. I'm wanting something that will grow in this Texas heat without too much extra water (it is EXPENSIVE here) and is pretty.

o

Ooooookay, two cups of coffee later I am much more awake. Ugh, last night was awful - the baby was up at 4 and decided not to go back to sleep until 5:30. Right about that time my toddler woke up crying, so I went down and OI, he'd thrown up all over his sheets. So changed all the bedding, he threw up twice more, got my husband to sleep on the couch in the kid's room, went back to bed - and the baby wake up again, and didn't go back to sleep until after the toddler was awake for the day. GAH! I shall never sleep again!

Alright, now that that's out of my system, let's talk plants ...

Alley - white lantana, tobacco seeds (maybe seedlings, depending on if I get off my butt and plant them.) Alley, do you want another blue mistflower?

Barefoot_in_Texas - white lantana?

Debbiedo7 - I will see about getting some of my yellow ice plant to root; I lost some of it this year, hopefully there will be enough to take some cuttings by the end of the month.

Barb - amaranthus seeds; I will try to get some seedlings before April, too.

Things I saw that I would love to have:
Sylvia - lamb's ear. Also, have any of those crinums left?
Dirtmomma - Do you still have crinums and/or turk's cap?
tina_2 - variegated vinca
barkingdogwoods - If you have any still available, I'd love to get some rain lilies, summer snowflakes, spanish hyacinth and/or beautyberry from you! But I did see that your quantities were very limited.
Alley - ginger and daylilies?
Barb - Rose of Sharon!

And things I will have that I've no names on yet:
Untold numbers of boxwoods
asian jasmine
algerian ivy (I think)
morning glory (wild type)
liriope
pink mum
irises (unknown colors)
cannas (orange, I think)
violets (just a few little ones, but they do spread in limited numbers)
dwarf columbine (mixed colors)
Brazilian rock rose (pale pink)
artemesia
pothos
phrag orchid (division)
jewel of opar
goldfish plant

SEEDS (and MAYBE seedlings, depending)
Amaranthus
larkspur
hollyhock
balsam
abutilon
cleome
columbine
tobacco

Things I'm still looking for include more crinums, gingers, daylilies, rain lilies, bridal wreath spirea, dutch hyacinth, boston ivy, clematis, balloonflower, purple oxalis, bat-faced cuphea and summer-blooming bulbs like freesia and gayfeather.

o

Hi mommyfox - I will save you some v. vinca.
I would love some of your violets, algerian ivy and artemesia.
I hope, the kids will let you get some rest .
Goodluck - tina_2

o

Aelly, Then the salvias are what you need. I have a dry bed with nothing but plants that survive only on rain water when it rains.Just need to water till they get established about a month.As for color I has blue, red, bright red.
I also have some Egg and Butter flowers they can live with or without water.

Poor Julie I feel for you and know just what your going through. Mine two are only 15 months apart and when they we're tots OH MY GOODNESS did I have my hands full.
It gets better hang in there.

o

just a thought for the water/pond/bog gardeners:

Do guppies eat mosquitoes?

momfox, I've got you down for crinum(s), lamb's ear, & I'll *try* to root some bridal wreath cuttings...but if anyone else has some rooted, please take them to momfox, as I haven't tried rooting spirea yet, don't know if I can make it work.

I'd really like some pink chrysanthemums, just love those mop-headed flowers in the autumn!

o

Awesome, Sylvia, thanks! I'll put your name on the pink mum.

o

mommyfox - I have you down for crinum and rooted turk's cap.
I'll trade from your list: dwarf columbine and Brazilian rock rose. Dorothy B.

o

Did someone say fish tanks??? If you have any of those 10 gal
size +/- that your ABSOLUTELY want to throw out (not at) get rid of , out of site, even a little bit cracked -- I'll take 'em!!! Great for hard wood propagation -- oopps secret's out.
Alley, sedum, asters (hardy) and something like blackfoot daisy will do well in heat and dry condition. I hope to have a few sedum at the swap. Way too early for me to make a list.

o

Hey there - some more trades working, YAY!

Mike and Barb - I'll set aside some Spanish Hyacinths. I would LOVE some Texas yellow columbine - thanks! great trade!

Mommyfox - I'll definitely have some spanish hyacinth for you. I'm going to Quitman this weekend and will check on rainlilies and summer snowflakes, and work at digging up a beautyberry or 10 - I have a billion, I just need to stop mowing them down! I'd love some violets and if you have any Jewel of Opar that would be great! Is it the dark green leafed, the variegated, or the lime leafed? I had some that were vivid lime, but I think they were destroyed in my moving them.

Lin

o

Julie / mommyfox
I would love some of your phrag orchid (division)

Have you decided which name tag you want?

Sylvia
I have no idea if guppies eat mosquitoes, they do like bloodworms & they are mosquitoe larva. I guess they might help you out if you don't use clorine in your pond & you have a fountain to keep the O2 up for them.

MY BEST FRIENDS SON WAS KILLED IN AN ACCIDENT around 9pm Friday night. Please pray for the family. His name is Michael - her name is Kathy

Debbie

o

Deb, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Losing someone is always very hard, but losing a young one is devastating.

Since you posted very early this AM, I'm thinking you likely went to bed by now, so I posted your message on Conversations where more people will see it, & I posted a reference on Discussions.

sending Kathy my best thoughts for strength & endurance.

o

Mommyfox--I remember those days. My son was almost a poster child for midnight abuse when he woke up at around 3:30 and screamed until 6--after my husband left for work. Not a happy man. Then, just as he went to sleep in his swing, 15 month old sister woke up rearing to go. I'm glad I'm past those days. Now I'm looking forward to teenagers and driving :)
I'm seeing some ginger pop up and definitely the daylilies. I also have some balloon flower seedlings (disclaimer just like the desert willow and others--they have been winter sown and have sprouted, but no second set of leaves and have to make it through another cold spell--I hear around tuesday--so, hopefully I'll have some of those for you too). Another blue mist flower is great. I think they're pretty.

Barb--I have never heard of an egg and butter flower. Sound interesting.

Debbiedo7--I am so sorry to hear about your friend's son. They will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. Makes me want to hug my kids and never let them go.
I'm up for any tag. I got the email and don't know where it went--I suspect my hubby did something as he uses a different program. If you don't hear from me soon, just pick something for me. I trust you.

that's it for now. Can't concentrate as hubby is talking about kitchen remodel now.

o

duh, of course I meant to say "mosquito larvae".
Mosquitoes wouldn't be swimming around in the water...

so heads up, pond & bog gardeners:

Deb's guppies = organic pest controls!

o

As I was watering plants in the greenhouse today, I realized that I have a lot of aloes to share at the swap - they'll be "free to good home"!

For folks with water gardens, I'm sure you have everything I have, but if you don't have pickerel weed I'd be glad to share. I have to wait to see what else comes back before I can post anything else...

Lin (have to clean out the greenhouse and water gardens too!)

o

Whoever wanted plants that do well in full sun with very little to no extra water...
I am thinning the white yarrow-
it's tremendously hardy, some varieties grow on the side of the road!

ferny foliage, white compound flower heads that always remind me of flying saucers, & it *spreads* like a rumor!

so do as I say, not as I did;
put it somewhere where it can't overtake the other members of your garden comunity!

o

OOPS. My bad their called butter and egg. They are a small two tone yellow flower, folage fern like. They bloomed like a mad person last summer and spread at a good rate but not to much. Their easy to pull up and it's easy to maintain.

I don't have much to share at this time so it is limited.

o

Ooo, I've seen those before! (The butter and egg flowers.) They're really neat.

I may have alyssum and hyacinth bean seedlings.

o

Lin, anything you have for the water garden, I can use. I think I have had a racoon ravaging my pond this winter, eating every plant I had. Fortunately he didn't get my koi, but the plants have been devastated. Just let me know what you'd like in trade. All the pickerel weed I had was from some you gave me a couple years ago, but it's all gone now.

Cheryl

o

Hi Cheryl -

I'll have pickerel weed for sure (was tearing it apart yesterday and there is a LOT alive). I will have to wait till other water plants start, but I'll bring what I have to the swap...

I would definitely like to try 4 o'clocks, if you have any.

Lin

o

I have seeds and plants, whichever you prefer. Cheryl

o

mikeandbarb. If you have spare salvias, particularly red, I would love to have one or two. Thanks Brenda.

o

Hi Cheryl -

I would love to have plants - they'd have a head start!!

Thanks -
Lin

o
RE: HAVE: Agave for Ft Worth Spring Swap April 12!

The one I have looks like this:

http://www.tropiflora.com/creport/cr13-1/1135.jpg

I don't know if it's the exact cultivar but that's what I have.

I am looking for natives or shade-loving plants....

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Green-striped Agave

o

Brenda,
haven't checked the board in awhile......yes, hubby says his mouth is already watering for those juicy (wait, the way he likes them they aren't really juicy anymore!!) delicious hot dogs!!

o
RE: Hey Debbie......

Hey Debbie - I have sent you several emails, about my name tag and the Mary Kay products. Did you get any of them?
Plmk. Thank you - tina_2

o

barefoot in texas got you down for red salvia if I can find one.

mommyfox, got you down for butter and egg's

o

is anyone going to bring upright varieties of sedum? these plants are so easy to grow but so hard to find!

o
RE: Please see my post........

Hi Everyone - Please read my post over at the, off - topic Conversations Forum. Thank you, all. tina_2

o

Hey Sylvia and Debbie -

I can't find my Avalanche narcissus in Quitman! I don't remember where I planted them, and if they're not blooming by next week when I'm over there, I'll have to forego bringing any to the plant swap.

I PMd you both about this, and am sorry for the inconvenience (or dashed hopes :)

Lin

o

Sedum Queen:

I have Autumn Joy: is that the kind you want?

Lin, you sound like the rest of us!

o

I'm looking for something to spread, stay low and fill in the cracks in a very cracky patio. Anybody have anything like that? It doesn't have be something that blooms or smells good or does dishes, just fill in the cracks.

I'm also going to have some roses to swap again, they'll be the smallish varieties. I have several that just aren't fitting in well with my rose garden. I'll have a list shortly and all the colors, types, etc.

I also have lots of seeds that I collected late last fall. I've got more columbine than you can shake a stick at, and a grunch of larkspur seed too. I can't remember what else I had, that's the trouble with trying to have a little fun on the internet at the office. I really hate how my job cuts into my gardening time...Cheryl

o

Cheryl, I have Creeping Jenny or Ajuga --- either of these sound like what you are looking for????

o

Looks as if I will have a goodly number of tall red cannas, anyone interested???

o

Carrie, I can use some of those!

o

Okay, Sylvia, I will add it to your list of wants.

o

Hey guys! If anyone has any climbing hydrangea I'd like to give it a try.

o

Carrie, I think the Ajuga might be a little large for these cracks, but the Creeping Jenny might work. I love Ajuga for filling blank spaces in the other flower beds though so bring whatever you would like to part with and I'll hope I hve something you want too. Cheryl

o

Will do, and don't worry about trading --- not a problem if you don't !!!

o
RE: Hi Seamommy .....

Hi - Have you thought about using lemon mint, spearmint ,pineapple, or chocolate mint to fill in the cracks?
It smells good when walked upon. Just my two cents. - tina_2

o

is anybody bringing devils backbone or hybrid sedums?

o

Y'all are getting way too above my head, next thing I know you'll be calling stuff by its Latin name!

& so, my question is...

Whazz a hybrid sedum?

(I do have Autumn Joy & a unknown-name white-flowering one.)

just talked to sis-in-law:

if anyone has fruit trees, pines/junipers/cedars, or forsythia, I have a nice home in the country for it!

o
RE: HAVE: tryin' to keep up

cut down a tree yesterday & am paying for it today:
can't move parts of my body I didn't even know I had!

so I'm updating my list (any excuse is a good excuse, right?)

Here's what I have:
..................Has.....................Wants

Deb: name tag...................crinum (I think the Vick's plant has returned to the earth, but if it shows any green, I'll bring it.)

Donna.....................................crinum

Rebecca......dog treats...........no entry-Did I miss something?

Dorothy..... no real entry, but I have seeds from May's house for her cockscomb, don't know if it's dwarf or not, it's about 16" tall?

Lin.....variegated aspidistra,................shade plants
........tall pink Mexican petunia
........aloe

Alley......cannas.........................Turk's cap, blue mistflower, Louisiana irises

April.....shea butter balms..........many mints, drought-tolerant perennials (I know I'll have Brazilian rock rose, lamb's ears, white yarrow, maybe yarrow Papriks, which is red).

Tina.....lemon mint (lots) & cannas......pots!

Tessa...tomato seedlings, loquat..............ginger

Weldon.....pink or white kolanchoes........aucuba (just cut & stuck them this morning!)

Danna....evergreens?....................tough roses

Julie...yellow ice plant, pink mum.........lamb's ear, crinums, Bridal Wreath cuttings if they root, ginger if I can find, bulbs depending on what I can find

Carrie......ice plant, tall cannas............mauve crinum

If I've omitted anything, please let me know.

off to take an aspirin...

(Does anybody know a way to get columns to show up on the posts?)

o

Yesterday while I was diggin up plants for the swap I noticed two purple salvia's.. these are good for ground cover and the name comes from the leaf color not the flower.
Anyone interested in them?

o

Hey Barb - Can you put up a pic. of it? Thanks - tina_2

o
RE: Hey Dorothy B.......

Hi - I, have been trying to answer your email for days. It keeps bouncing back to me. Please email me. Thanks - tina_2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here