Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap April 12!

sylviatexas1
16 years ago

Mark your calendars & don't let anybody in your family graduate, get married, have a birthday, have a housewarming, or be sworn in to public office on April 12!

Does anyone remember how long we've been doing this?

I didn't realize, when we had the first one, that our swap would become something of an institution!

Place: Trinity Park

It's just north of I-30 on University, on the east side of the street, just across from the FW Botanic Gardens.

Time: real loose.

we usually start around 10 AM & "swap til we drop".

which is generally around 2 PM, since everybody will have traded, visited, & had lunch, & lots of people have to leave after lunch to take kids to events & such.

What to bring to trade:

anything as long as it's legal & somehow related to the garden!

plants, seeds, cuttings, garden art/junk/sculpture.

Plastic nursery pots, perlite/vermiculite, potting soil, bunny poo, mulch, etc are always highly desired!

(I my own self, being really enthusiastic about the garden but completely puzzled by the room they call a "kitchen", am always happy to trade for homemade bread or brownies or cookies or...)

You can trade anything to anyone for anything.

if the traders agree that a pair of bypass pruners is a good trade for a bucket of cotton burr compost (or a rosebush or a partridge in a pear tree), that's what counts!

Food: Brenda & her husband have "catered" lunch for the last 2 swaps, & it was *wonderful* for all involved;

we brought her lots of plants, & we didn't have to use valuable plant-space in our cars for food (& her husband is a good cook!)

She'll chime in here one way or t'other pretty soon.

If they want to cook this year, plan to bring her some wonderful plants & garden items!

(If they're not able to, then we can bring food to share.)

General suggestions:

wear comfy loose clothes & comfy shoes & a hat, & bring a sweater (remember last spring's blizzard???).

If you have room for a folding table, it'll reallly come in handy, as will a chair & a cart or wagon.

Notepad, pen, Sharpie, stickers or labels, ziplock bags, etc. just in case.

Door prize:

Bring fun prizes for the drawing;

when your ticket is drawn, choose your prize from the available or remaining prizes.

Last time I brought the Gardener's Survival Kit, a brightly-colored (easy to find!) container with small containers of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, lotion, etc, as well as band-aids, soap, aspirin, labels, can't remember.

People brought art, they brought craft items, & there were decorative pots, hand tools (trowels & forks& the like), garden aprons, bird feeders, lots of wonderful things!

Comments (150)

• element321
    16 years ago

My wife and I will try and make it. We are in the Dallas area and if we have the time we will come. Right now all I have to trade is 10 Confederate Rose cuttings from my grandmother's bushes in AL. I checked on them last week and some had some buds on them but no roots. They are still sitting in water in the garage.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome, element 321!

looking forward to meeting you & your wife!

Confederate Rose is gorgeous!

• debbiedo7
    16 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm gonna list the names of everyone that I have for the name tags. I'm itchin to get started on the tags but ..... there are 15 spaces to the page & LOL I only have 9 so far .... sooooo if'n ya haven't picked please do so.
    So far everyone has a different design - which is why I designed so many to try & let everybody's personality shine on them. If your personality is the same as someone elses that's good too.
    I will be hitting up Donna & my grand's to choose theirs this weekend.
    Waaahhhh I have a new toy & can't play with it yet. LOL

1. Brenda / barefootbrenda
    Arbor with garden bench

2. Ruben / the cook
    cook at grill

3. Danna / dannab1
    picket fence w/ orange flowers

4. Lane / dannab1Âs hubby
    Rabbit digging

5. Lin / barkingdogwoods
    garden scene

6. Sylvia / sylviatexas
    daylilies

7. Weldon / weldontx
    3 roses

8. Dorothy B / dirtmomma
    3 windows

9. Debbie / debbiedo7
    garden fairy cup

OH AND UMMMMMMMMM I HAVE BABY GUPPIES THAT NEED NEW HOMES.
    DO YOU HAVE AN AQUARIUM & WOULD LIKE SOME BABIES? LET ME KNOW & I'LL BRING EM TO THE SWAP

PLEASE ADOPT A GUPPY OR 2 OR 3 OR 4 OR EVEN 10 lolol

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Lin I'd like some Spanish Hyacinths. I have some Texas yellow columbine, I also have creeping mexican petunia, great for ground cover, spreads about a foot or so, does not get to out of hand like others.

Alley, salvias that I have are, Black N Blue, Autumn red evergreen, Tropical Pink, Lady in Red, Maybe Hot lips evergreen and Bog Salvia, I love this one but it is on the wild side pretty little blue flowers.

Julie, I have a double purple Rose of sharon if you want a cutting to root?

• mommyfox
    16 years ago

typing one handed holding infant - whooo i been up since 4!

barefoot in texas, I hav a white lantana.

fairy for nametag?

barb, want ros cutting - instructions?

have irises, asian jasmine, algerian ivy

• alley
    16 years ago

mikeandbarb--I'm up for anything. I don't know the names of each salvia to know what I'm looking for or what you're talking about. I'm wanting something that will grow in this Texas heat without too much extra water (it is EXPENSIVE here) and is pretty.

• mommyfox
    16 years ago

Ooooookay, two cups of coffee later I am much more awake. Ugh, last night was awful - the baby was up at 4 and decided not to go back to sleep until 5:30. Right about that time my toddler woke up crying, so I went down and OI, he'd thrown up all over his sheets. So changed all the bedding, he threw up twice more, got my husband to sleep on the couch in the kid's room, went back to bed - and the baby wake up again, and didn't go back to sleep until after the toddler was awake for the day. GAH! I shall never sleep again!

Alright, now that that's out of my system, let's talk plants ...

Alley - white lantana, tobacco seeds (maybe seedlings, depending on if I get off my butt and plant them.) Alley, do you want another blue mistflower?

Barefoot_in_Texas - white lantana?

Debbiedo7 - I will see about getting some of my yellow ice plant to root; I lost some of it this year, hopefully there will be enough to take some cuttings by the end of the month.

Barb - amaranthus seeds; I will try to get some seedlings before April, too.

Things I saw that I would love to have:
    Sylvia - lamb's ear. Also, have any of those crinums left?
    Dirtmomma - Do you still have crinums and/or turk's cap?
    tina_2 - variegated vinca
    barkingdogwoods - If you have any still available, I'd love to get some rain lilies, summer snowflakes, spanish hyacinth and/or beautyberry from you! But I did see that your quantities were very limited.
    Alley - ginger and daylilies?
    Barb - Rose of Sharon!

And things I will have that I've no names on yet:
    Untold numbers of boxwoods
    asian jasmine
    algerian ivy (I think)
    morning glory (wild type)
    liriope
    pink mum
    irises (unknown colors)
    cannas (orange, I think)
    violets (just a few little ones, but they do spread in limited numbers)
    dwarf columbine (mixed colors)
    Brazilian rock rose (pale pink)
    artemesia
    pothos
    phrag orchid (division)
    jewel of opar
    goldfish plant

SEEDS (and MAYBE seedlings, depending)
    Amaranthus
    larkspur
    hollyhock
    balsam
    abutilon
    cleome
    columbine
    tobacco

Things I'm still looking for include more crinums, gingers, daylilies, rain lilies, bridal wreath spirea, dutch hyacinth, boston ivy, clematis, balloonflower, purple oxalis, bat-faced cuphea and summer-blooming bulbs like freesia and gayfeather.

• tina_2
    16 years ago

Hi mommyfox - I will save you some v. vinca.
    I would love some of your violets, algerian ivy and artemesia.
    I hope, the kids will let you get some rest .
    Goodluck - tina_2

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Aelly, Then the salvias are what you need. I have a dry bed with nothing but plants that survive only on rain water when it rains.Just need to water till they get established about a month.As for color I has blue, red, bright red.
    I also have some Egg and Butter flowers they can live with or without water.

Poor Julie I feel for you and know just what your going through. Mine two are only 15 months apart and when they we're tots OH MY GOODNESS did I have my hands full.
    It gets better hang in there.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just a thought for the water/pond/bog gardeners:

Do guppies eat mosquitoes?

momfox, I've got you down for crinum(s), lamb's ear, & I'll *try* to root some bridal wreath cuttings...but if anyone else has some rooted, please take them to momfox, as I haven't tried rooting spirea yet, don't know if I can make it work.

I'd really like some pink chrysanthemums, just love those mop-headed flowers in the autumn!

• mommyfox
    16 years ago

Awesome, Sylvia, thanks! I'll put your name on the pink mum.

• dirtmomma
    16 years ago

mommyfox - I have you down for crinum and rooted turk's cap.
    I'll trade from your list: dwarf columbine and Brazilian rock rose. Dorothy B.

• weldontx
    16 years ago

Did someone say fish tanks??? If you have any of those 10 gal
    size +/- that your ABSOLUTELY want to throw out (not at) get rid of , out of site, even a little bit cracked -- I'll take 'em!!! Great for hard wood propagation -- oopps secret's out.
    Alley, sedum, asters (hardy) and something like blackfoot daisy will do well in heat and dry condition. I hope to have a few sedum at the swap. Way too early for me to make a list.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    16 years ago

Hey there - some more trades working, YAY!

Mike and Barb - I'll set aside some Spanish Hyacinths. I would LOVE some Texas yellow columbine - thanks! great trade!

Mommyfox - I'll definitely have some spanish hyacinth for you. I'm going to Quitman this weekend and will check on rainlilies and summer snowflakes, and work at digging up a beautyberry or 10 - I have a billion, I just need to stop mowing them down! I'd love some violets and if you have any Jewel of Opar that would be great! Is it the dark green leafed, the variegated, or the lime leafed? I had some that were vivid lime, but I think they were destroyed in my moving them.

Lin

• debbiedo7
    16 years ago

Julie / mommyfox
    I would love some of your phrag orchid (division)

Have you decided which name tag you want?

Sylvia
    I have no idea if guppies eat mosquitoes, they do like bloodworms & they are mosquitoe larva. I guess they might help you out if you don't use clorine in your pond & you have a fountain to keep the O2 up for them.

MY BEST FRIENDS SON WAS KILLED IN AN ACCIDENT around 9pm Friday night. Please pray for the family. His name is Michael - her name is Kathy

Debbie

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deb, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Losing someone is always very hard, but losing a young one is devastating.

Since you posted very early this AM, I'm thinking you likely went to bed by now, so I posted your message on Conversations where more people will see it, & I posted a reference on Discussions.

sending Kathy my best thoughts for strength & endurance.

• alley
    16 years ago

Mommyfox--I remember those days. My son was almost a poster child for midnight abuse when he woke up at around 3:30 and screamed until 6--after my husband left for work. Not a happy man. Then, just as he went to sleep in his swing, 15 month old sister woke up rearing to go. I'm glad I'm past those days. Now I'm looking forward to teenagers and driving :)
    I'm seeing some ginger pop up and definitely the daylilies. I also have some balloon flower seedlings (disclaimer just like the desert willow and others--they have been winter sown and have sprouted, but no second set of leaves and have to make it through another cold spell--I hear around tuesday--so, hopefully I'll have some of those for you too). Another blue mist flower is great. I think they're pretty.

Barb--I have never heard of an egg and butter flower. Sound interesting.

Debbiedo7--I am so sorry to hear about your friend's son. They will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. Makes me want to hug my kids and never let them go.
    I'm up for any tag. I got the email and don't know where it went--I suspect my hubby did something as he uses a different program. If you don't hear from me soon, just pick something for me. I trust you.

that's it for now. Can't concentrate as hubby is talking about kitchen remodel now.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

duh, of course I meant to say "mosquito larvae".
    Mosquitoes wouldn't be swimming around in the water...

so heads up, pond & bog gardeners:

Deb's guppies = organic pest controls!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    16 years ago

As I was watering plants in the greenhouse today, I realized that I have a lot of aloes to share at the swap - they'll be "free to good home"!

For folks with water gardens, I'm sure you have everything I have, but if you don't have pickerel weed I'd be glad to share. I have to wait to see what else comes back before I can post anything else...

Lin (have to clean out the greenhouse and water gardens too!)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoever wanted plants that do well in full sun with very little to no extra water...
    I am thinning the white yarrow-
    it's tremendously hardy, some varieties grow on the side of the road!

ferny foliage, white compound flower heads that always remind me of flying saucers, & it *spreads* like a rumor!

so do as I say, not as I did;
    put it somewhere where it can't overtake the other members of your garden comunity!

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

OOPS. My bad their called butter and egg. They are a small two tone yellow flower, folage fern like. They bloomed like a mad person last summer and spread at a good rate but not to much. Their easy to pull up and it's easy to maintain.

I don't have much to share at this time so it is limited.

• mommyfox
    16 years ago

Ooo, I've seen those before! (The butter and egg flowers.) They're really neat.

I may have alyssum and hyacinth bean seedlings.

• seamommy
    16 years ago

Lin, anything you have for the water garden, I can use. I think I have had a racoon ravaging my pond this winter, eating every plant I had. Fortunately he didn't get my koi, but the plants have been devastated. Just let me know what you'd like in trade. All the pickerel weed I had was from some you gave me a couple years ago, but it's all gone now.

Cheryl

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    16 years ago

Hi Cheryl -

I'll have pickerel weed for sure (was tearing it apart yesterday and there is a LOT alive). I will have to wait till other water plants start, but I'll bring what I have to the swap...

I would definitely like to try 4 o'clocks, if you have any.

Lin

• seamommy
    16 years ago

I have seeds and plants, whichever you prefer. Cheryl

• barefoot_in_texas
    16 years ago

mikeandbarb. If you have spare salvias, particularly red, I would love to have one or two. Thanks Brenda.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    16 years ago

Hi Cheryl -

I would love to have plants - they'd have a head start!!

Thanks -
    Lin

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    16 years ago

The one I have looks like this:

http://www.tropiflora.com/creport/cr13-1/1135.jpg

I don't know if it's the exact cultivar but that's what I have.

I am looking for natives or shade-loving plants....

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1315513}}

• dannab1
    16 years ago

Brenda,
    haven't checked the board in awhile......yes, hubby says his mouth is already watering for those juicy (wait, the way he likes them they aren't really juicy anymore!!) delicious hot dogs!!

• tina_2
    16 years ago

Hey Debbie - I have sent you several emails, about my name tag and the Mary Kay products. Did you get any of them?
    Plmk. Thank you - tina_2

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

barefoot in texas got you down for red salvia if I can find one.

mommyfox, got you down for butter and egg's

• sedumqueen
    16 years ago

is anyone going to bring upright varieties of sedum? these plants are so easy to grow but so hard to find!

• tina_2
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone - Please read my post over at the, off - topic Conversations Forum. Thank you, all. tina_2

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    16 years ago

Hey Sylvia and Debbie -

I can't find my Avalanche narcissus in Quitman! I don't remember where I planted them, and if they're not blooming by next week when I'm over there, I'll have to forego bringing any to the plant swap.

I PMd you both about this, and am sorry for the inconvenience (or dashed hopes :)

Lin

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sedum Queen:

I have Autumn Joy: is that the kind you want?

Lin, you sound like the rest of us!

• seamommy
    16 years ago

I'm looking for something to spread, stay low and fill in the cracks in a very cracky patio. Anybody have anything like that? It doesn't have be something that blooms or smells good or does dishes, just fill in the cracks.

I'm also going to have some roses to swap again, they'll be the smallish varieties. I have several that just aren't fitting in well with my rose garden. I'll have a list shortly and all the colors, types, etc.

I also have lots of seeds that I collected late last fall. I've got more columbine than you can shake a stick at, and a grunch of larkspur seed too. I can't remember what else I had, that's the trouble with trying to have a little fun on the internet at the office. I really hate how my job cuts into my gardening time...Cheryl

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Cheryl, I have Creeping Jenny or Ajuga --- either of these sound like what you are looking for????

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Looks as if I will have a goodly number of tall red cannas, anyone interested???

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carrie, I can use some of those!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Okay, Sylvia, I will add it to your list of wants.

• mommyfox
    16 years ago

Hey guys! If anyone has any climbing hydrangea I'd like to give it a try.

• seamommy
    16 years ago

Carrie, I think the Ajuga might be a little large for these cracks, but the Creeping Jenny might work. I love Ajuga for filling blank spaces in the other flower beds though so bring whatever you would like to part with and I'll hope I hve something you want too. Cheryl

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Will do, and don't worry about trading --- not a problem if you don't !!!

• tina_2
    16 years ago

Hi - Have you thought about using lemon mint, spearmint ,pineapple, or chocolate mint to fill in the cracks?
    It smells good when walked upon. Just my two cents. - tina_2

• sedumqueen
    16 years ago

is anybody bringing devils backbone or hybrid sedums?

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Y'all are getting way too above my head, next thing I know you'll be calling stuff by its Latin name!

& so, my question is...

Whazz a hybrid sedum?

(I do have Autumn Joy & a unknown-name white-flowering one.)

just talked to sis-in-law:

if anyone has fruit trees, pines/junipers/cedars, or forsythia, I have a nice home in the country for it!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cut down a tree yesterday & am paying for it today:
    can't move parts of my body I didn't even know I had!

so I'm updating my list (any excuse is a good excuse, right?)

Here's what I have:
    ..................Has.....................Wants

Deb: name tag...................crinum (I think the Vick's plant has returned to the earth, but if it shows any green, I'll bring it.)

Donna.....................................crinum

Rebecca......dog treats...........no entry-Did I miss something?

Dorothy..... no real entry, but I have seeds from May's house for her cockscomb, don't know if it's dwarf or not, it's about 16" tall?

Lin.....variegated aspidistra,................shade plants
    ........tall pink Mexican petunia
    ........aloe

Alley......cannas.........................Turk's cap, blue mistflower, Louisiana irises

April.....shea butter balms..........many mints, drought-tolerant perennials (I know I'll have Brazilian rock rose, lamb's ears, white yarrow, maybe yarrow Papriks, which is red).

Tina.....lemon mint (lots) & cannas......pots!

Tessa...tomato seedlings, loquat..............ginger

Weldon.....pink or white kolanchoes........aucuba (just cut & stuck them this morning!)

Danna....evergreens?....................tough roses

Julie...yellow ice plant, pink mum.........lamb's ear, crinums, Bridal Wreath cuttings if they root, ginger if I can find, bulbs depending on what I can find

Carrie......ice plant, tall cannas............mauve crinum

If I've omitted anything, please let me know.

off to take an aspirin...

(Does anybody know a way to get columns to show up on the posts?)

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Yesterday while I was diggin up plants for the swap I noticed two purple salvia's.. these are good for ground cover and the name comes from the leaf color not the flower.
    Anyone interested in them?

• tina_2
    16 years ago

Hey Barb - Can you put up a pic. of it? Thanks - tina_2

• tina_2
    16 years ago

Hi - I, have been trying to answer your email for days. It keeps bouncing back to me. Please email me. Thanks - tina_2

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor