Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyllisb2008

WANTED: spring swap

phyllisb2008
15 years ago

Hey everyone just wanting to find out if anyone has decided on a date for the spring swap this year? I loved meeting all the people in the fall and can't wait for spring to get here. I've been planting stuff all week. Spinach,radishes,lettuce and different greens also trying to germinate the Heirloom tomatoe seeds hope they do well.

Comments (6)

• sandy_8b
    15 years ago

Hey Phylis,

I am just starting my toms and pepper seeds. Hope yours germ OK. Didn't get the bottom heat this year, going to try the south window in livingroom. That's this weekend project. Had a couple of seeds which sprouted in the fermenting water so planted them and are doing swell. And still have green toms in the garden!! They get covered when freezes come. But picked a red one today.

Still planting perennials from the Fall Swap and sorting the veggie seeds into when to plant order. It was so much fun. And really filled out the garden.

Am hoping to get some plants rooting in the pruning that is about to happen, for the Spring Swap. Just hate to throw away those branches.

Happy Gardening,
    Sandy - Organic Gardener

• Deb Chickenmom
    15 years ago

I loved the fall swap! It was such fun to meet everyone and see all the interesting plants. I've been on the winter sowing forum and am trying that for the first time, so maybe I'll have some goodies to trade this spring. As soon as a date is set hope it will be posted here. Can't believe it is going from temps in the 80s to 20s, but that is Texas I guess. Debby

• phyllisb2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Sandy, My heirloom tomatoes are up about 3 inches and doing well I think I planted them to soon,but going to try and keep them alive. There still in the peat pots Do I put them in soil now and stick them in the greenhouse or do I put them under the grow light? I just got a couple tomatoes off my vines that I've kept alive in the greenhouse I wish I would of tried to keep more alive but this was the first year for the greenhouse so I'm still learning what and how to use it. I hope your at the spring swap this year.

Debbie, Have you looked on wintersown.com it has a lot of info and pic's that has helped me. It was fun meeting everyone I can't wait for spring. I hope we all see each other soon.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Hey, Phyllis, what're you doing indoors???

amazing, isn't it?

mid-January, & we're all getting impatient for dirty knees, grimy fingernails...& fire ant bites!

(I usually start the Spring Swap thread about the end of the month, so we have better chance of avoiding a freeze.)

• wildflowers4me
    15 years ago

Since everyone is starting to get the 'bug' for gardening I thought I would take this opportunity to mention the Galveston County Annual Spring Plant Swap. It will be held on Saturday, March 28. Setup is at 9:30 am and swapping begins at 10. It'll be held at the Walter Hall Park pavilion on Hwy 3 in League City. Our swap attractions include a silent auction with awesome one-of-a-kind gardening crafts, a 50/50 drawing where you split the pot with the swap, a gardening free recycle area for registered swappers, fantastic door prizes, a master gardener concierge table, a picnic lunch for registered swappers, and of course, thousands of plants for trade! Please use the link below to our plant swap website and contact me with any questions. Stay warm for now! Mary Ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: Galveston County Annual Spring Plant Swap

• sandy_8b
    15 years ago

Hey Phyllis, great news that you have tomato seedlings.

I keep mine in small pots under lights with a small fan on them for sturdy stems. Then may put in a plastic glass size homemade pot to grow more roots if the weather doesn't cooperate for planting out. And put in unheated greenhouse as temps warm. If your gh is heated, might do real well there.

Just read that they get stunted if temp is below 40 degrees at night. One year put in ground too early and did get stunted.

Heirloom seedlings are robust even when long and scraggly, just bend the stems and plant for more roots. Do fine, take right off growing. Oh, am so ready for Spring to come.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County