Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyfox

WANTED: Fort Worth February Seed Swap

mommyfox
15 years ago

Enough folk expressed an interest, so we Fort Worth folk are going to get together this month to gab and swap some seeds. This one's more about socializing than swapping, I suspect, though there will be plenty of that. By suggesting it first, it seems I inadvertently made myself the organizer. Which is all very well!

So let's agree on a time before we agree on a place. I'm assuming that many of us work during the day Monday through Friday. I'm starting a new job, so I don't know my schedule yet after the 15th. So I listed a few possibilities, you guys tell me what's the best:

Evening of Friday the 13th

Evening of Saturday the 14th (yes that's Valentine's)

Early afternoon of Tuesday the 17th

Late afternoon of Saturday the 21st

Comments (26)

• phyllisb2008
    15 years ago

the 17th or 21st is good for me if were voting.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Yay!
    Great idea!

I'm flexible my own self, but it seems to me that weekdays are too hectic for most people,
    & Valentine's Day is a special occasion,
    & Saturday evenings are busy,
    so I'd guess that any Saturday morning or afternoon, other than Valentine's Day, would get the best response.

We've had this kind of get-together at Starbucks in the past, & since it *is* February after all, that might still be the best option (unless some kind homeowner wants to host the event!)

• barefoot_in_texas
    15 years ago

Saturday the 21st works for me. My weekdays are too busy.

• element321
    15 years ago

the only day I could be there is Saturday 21. The rest of the days mentioned, I am working.

• mommyfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok let's go with 4:00 Saturday the 21st. Now for a place. How about somewhere close to Trinity Park, since we know everyone knows where that is? I'm in southwest Arlington, so it's about 20 minutes away for me. Say, a cafe type place with coffee? Since we'll be lugging packages of seeds instead of plants we shouldn't need too big of a place!

• alley
    15 years ago

I'm thinking that day is good for me. I need to check when the cowtown marathon is. It is in the morning, but I may be tired (I'm doing the kids 5k with my kids, so not too tired I'd imagine). Are we going to just bring seeds and go from there, or are we going to do pre-arranged? Personally, I don't even know what I have or want, so I'll probably just come as is. Plus, at this point, I'm too busy to list all my seeds and keep up with who wants and has what. As for a place, I've been that way, but I don't really know what is over there. I know the zoo is on the other side of the highway.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

can't think of anything really close to the park on University, but at the Montgomery exit (the one that takes you to the Omni Theater/Cowgirl Museum/Will Rogers Complex/etc), there's a What a Burger on the south side, & on the north side, further up Montgomery, there's a Dairy Queen.

It's an old part of town, & these places are not, uh, new & fancy, but...

you can get ice cream at DQ, & there's usually something going on at Will Rogers, & Whataburger is always good!

• seamommy
    15 years ago

I'm coming no matter where or when. I like DQ and a lot of them are going out of business right now, so they should be grateful for the business. Cheryl

• barefoot_in_texas
    15 years ago

I love DQ. DH and I will be attending. Just confirm a place.

• barefoot_in_texas
    15 years ago

The DQ is located at 2050 MONTGOMERY ST TX 76107-4013. From I-30 West exit Montgomery and take a right. The DQ will be on the right hand side of the road.

• seamommy
    15 years ago

OK, we have Sylvia, Mommyfox, BFNT & DH, Alley, Element, and me, meeting at the DQ on Mont. St. @ 1600 on 21/02/09. Who'd I miss, cause that's only 7 people?

Cheryl

• phyllisb2008
    15 years ago

me too!

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

just to clarify (I am the worst person to get lost, so I alway try to over-explain directions!):

from I-30, take Montgomery north...
    & I'm pretty sure the DQ is on the left (west) side, because the Omni is just past it on the right.

I have quite a few seeds!

• mommyfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome! Sounds great. I'm not going to bother with pre-arranged; since this is a smaller gathering I'll just trade there.

• seamommy
    15 years ago

Oh yes! Phyllis, I didn't forget you, my fingers just forgot to type you in. That's eight of us, that should be a good group. I have loads of seeds too. And anyone who has pots or tots to trade I'm all over that. Cheryl

• mikeb1206
    15 years ago

I should be there also but just for hellos and ice cream.

• seamommy
    15 years ago

I forgot to come get those pots yesterday, Mike. Sorry. I have a bad cold and just plain forgot. Cheryl

• mikeb1206
    15 years ago

they are on the porch when you are ready or I can bring them Saturday.

• alley
    15 years ago

Ok, I think the cowtown marathon is the next weekend. I think that I should be there, assuming hubby is back from his trip in time to keep kids. They're good kids and I'm sure it would be fine to bring them, but I don't want to keep up with them while having "adult gardener time". I don't have too much in terms of seeds, and I don't know what I want, but I'm ready for garden stuff.
    Alison

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

"I'm ready for garden stuff"

Amen, Sistah!

By the time February gets here, I'm always cabin-fevered, snow-crazy, & my teeth tend to grind!

Good thing I don't have to live where they really have winter & where it lasts many months!

• element321
    15 years ago

I should be there. Not sure if, I will have any seeds for trade.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

element, the seed exchange is really an excuse to get together with garden-minded people to jabber about our addiction, I mean hobby, so don't stress yourself about seeds-
    you'l probably go home with as many as you can handle anyway!

& if you have the time, you can always get some small ziplock baggies, about $1 in walmart's craft department, or maybe some stick-on address labels, or some itsy-bitsy pots.

I bet lots of us would be happy to trade seeds for those kinds of things.

• mommyfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Son of a - Guys, I hate to do this to you, but I'm going to have to bow out. A few of you might be aware of this situation we've got. In short, a friend of mine has been staying with us while she was pregnant. She was in a bad spot, we had the room, so here we are. Anyway, she had the baby on Thursday, and she's coming home sometime Saturday but we don't know when they'll discharge her and the baby. So I'd better be available Saturday. Gah! I'm sorry I won't be able to make it, but I've got to choose taking care of her over socializing with my beloved gardening buddies. Sorry again! I hope you guys have a blast!

• joie33
    15 years ago

Sorry but don't count on me even though I expressed interest initially. I've been very sickÂjust diagnosed with pleurisy on top of a sinus infection that just won't go away. I haven't even been able to keep up with the April swap as of yet. Have fun tomorrow!

• alley
    15 years ago

joie--I feel so bad for you. My husband ended up in the emergency room as a result of a sinus infection. Be sure to take care of it and stay on top of it.

Mommyfox--Have fun with that new baby. I bet your household has been hopping with activity. We'll see you at the plant swap (hopefully)

I'm not sure if I'm going to make it. My son has a birthday party to go to this afternoon and my hubby is on some good drugs (the aforementioned emergency room visit) and can't drive. So that just leaves me and I'm not sure how it is going to play out today yet.

If I don't make it, I'll see you guys at the swap.

Alison

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

uh-oh.

Phyllis & I didn't make it;
    I was ailing, & Phyllis was going to come with me.

I hope everyone who went to the get-together had a good time.

& remember:
    whatever wasn't swapped on Saturday will be in demand at the Spring Swap!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner