Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

HAVE: Verbena bonariensis seedlings

melvalena
12 years ago

I have tons of Verbena bonariensis seedlings that need to find new homes or into the trash they'll go.

I'm in the north end of Flower Mound, TX

Best to get these now, I don't have the room to pot them up and hold until a plant swap.

Comments (7)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I suppose it is best to NOT offer you any of mine then...LOL>

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL!!!

• weldontx
    12 years ago

Melva, I can't get there, but have a question or three for you and Carrie. How drought tolerant are the V.B? Do they naturalize easily? Are they aggressive or invasive?
    Enjoying rain, but looking forward to Monday's sunshine.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Weldon, it will be difficult for me to answer as to their drought tolerance as I water during dry times. They do reseed generously, but are actually easy to pull, and I think they are very pretty ...plus...the butterflies love them. I am going to pot some of them up...so if you want me to, I can do a few for you.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

Hey Weldon -

I had these in my yard in Euless, and they did well there in my red clay soil with my normal lawn watering (usually once a week deeply).

Out here in the sand they don't reseed as much as they did in the clay, but I love when I see that high verbena on a stick in the midst of some other flower.

I was trying one out in my wildflower garden till the power company guys dumped a mountain of mulch on it - I'm looking to see if it comes back.

It's a jewel of a plant in my book...

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Weldon,
    They reseed very well. You'll always have baby ones to move to other areas or give away.

Here in my yard they do well with some extra water during the summer. I've never tried to not water them because I didn't want to lose the other plants or lawn nearby.

The first plants I got form Carrie stayed green all winter long, even during all that snow and ice we got back in '10.

What's odd to me is some of my pants really re seed and others in other parts of the yard haven't re seeded at all.
    They are very easy to pull/lift and don't mind being potted up or re planted else where.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Funny story.............I had two rather large ones that came up and grew in my winter honeysuckle. I dug them out and put them in a wheelbarrow for potting, pushed it over near the garage, and promptly got busy doing something else. I forgot all about them and they sat in that wheelbarrow during the last freeze we had and did not bat any eye. They are tough plants.

Sponsored