Thu, Feb 10, 11 at 9:46

Post wants and haves here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: San Antonio Spring swap

Guess I better put the date here also.
April 02, 2011 @ MacArthur on Loop 410 in San Antonio, TX

Patty's post last fall:

Hello All ! Just a few reminders that will help us all have a nicer swap experience. After 10 years of hostessing and attending these swaps I've learned a lot from others. This is especially helpful to newbies who have told me often that they were confused with the way things were done at the swap. Hopefully, this will help them a little.
When you arrive, please seek out the hostess if we don't greet you first. Especially if you haven't been before. Any of us will help you with any questions you might have. Get a name tag, sign up for door prizes, and if we have one, sign the list for future notifications of swaps.

Don't forget to bring a sack lunch. We'll need sustenance for continued swapping !

We will have door prizes. If you'd like to donate to our stash, please bring a new or gently used gardening item. We usually include things like fertilizer, gloves, tools, outdoor decorations, books, etc.

Garden Junk and Garden Art is also welcome for trading. Hoses, trellises, rusty buckets, signs, you name it ! We've had people bring homemade soap, mosaic pots, and other great items.

We welcome donations to help pay for the rental of the pavilion. Although it is voluntary, please consider that you're leaving the swap with plants that would have cost so much more at a nursery. A few dollars in the jar will go far to help us rent this nice pavilion for the next swap.

You may consider bringing cardboard boxes to haul home your booty. You may end up taking home more than you bring, and it's not always easy to get it all back in your car. Packing in boxes will allow you to stack them and keep your plants safe.

Bring something to use for labeling the plants you receive. Old window blinds are excellent for this purpose ! They last forever and they're kept out of landfills.

On that note, please label your plants for others. It saves a lot of time at the swap. You don't have to tell everyone what each plant is, since they already have names on them.

Another helpful hint, which takes more time, but is great to have: consider putting a notebook together of your plants. Add pictures and descriptions of each plant you bring. Over time, you can add to it as you accumulate different types of plants. This also saves time at the swap. Others can view your notebook to see what a certain plant will look like.

While swapping, please don't take plants off other's tables without asking. They may be across the room promising that same plant to someone else. Please find the owner and ask permission. Everyone's different, of course, and may bid you take whatever you like. But it's good to err on the side of caution, and ask anyway. It's a good idea for all of us to put our name on our table so that everyone knows who to find when they see a plant they'd like.

Plants under the tables are not for swapping. This is where we place the plants we're taking home.

Some plants are special or rare and the swapper may want something special in return. This is understandable. On the other hand, some of us don't always need something in return. Please consider everyone's feelings while swapping.

Last but not least, have a good time. Make new friends ! I've met really great folks at the swaps and we're still swapping 10 years later !!

If you can't make the San Antonio swap, consider the swap just up the road in Buda.

patty

o

no one?

o

Well, since we had record-setting cold this month (although now it's now shockingly spring-like!), I'm guessing that some people may wonder what plants survived this winter. I haven't started any seeds myself, but hope to get motivated soon. My yard looks very dismal...I essentially gave up on protecting the plants. My rosemary is trying to bloom again, however. It just laughs at extreme cold!

o

When a date is selected, you never know what 6 mos or so will being.
I guess we can all show up & bemoan the lack of plants.
k

o

Well, I remembered today that my Red Spider Lillies need dividing. So~
A few Red Spider Lillies will be available!

o

Linda gets a prize for being the first to make an offer! LOL.

I think most of us just aren't sure yet what we've got stuffed in our green houses or what's under the frozen branches.

As for me I'll be digging and bringing an upright EE bulb or two (green or dark red), shrimp plant roots (red or fruit cocktail), coral vines, named pink canna corms, toad lilies ... and other things are sure to come to mind. I wouldn't mind having some pretty iris clumps, and passion vines for the butterflies.

Will also bring green Malabar spinach and pentapete seeds and maybe some other seeds when I take time to go through them.

I was hoping to have some rose cuttings rooted by swap time, but don't think they will be ready yet. We'll see.

o
re: have: p.s.

As for rooted rose cuttings some Eutins might be rooted in well enough to bring.

Not sure if I'll do pre-trades this time. Might be fun just to wait and see what interesting things you all bring.

o

Linda - I would love a few red spider lilies. While out cleaning up today, I actually thought about trying to find some since they seem to do well here.

Since most of my plants are too new to need dividing, I started rooting some cuttings and planting seeds today. Here's the list of what I hope to have by then:

Basil (seedlings)
Creeping Fig
Creeping Jenny
Silver ponyfoot
Angel wing Begonia
Red Canna

o

I noticed yesterday that the asters are sprouting. They certainly need dividing. Let me know if you want a start.

Photobucket

o

Hi everybody. I plan on joining you again. I know I will have a few things, not sure what yet other than a yellow salvia that I haven't discovered the name of yet. I'll try to get a list up with in the next couple of weeks, as I see how everything has survived the freeze. I will be bringing some seeds, also.

Linda, I am also interested in some red spider lilies if you have enough.

Ragna, I'd be interested in some red shrimp plant roots if you are putting names on anything. Not sure if you meant you will bring your offerings and let people rush for them there or not :)

Looking forward to seeing you all again, even if we don't have much to trade this year!
Tonya

o

After I divided, I put some into six pots, so I have enough. This weather is great, but I keep thinking that another arctic cold front could show up later, after I start believing winter is over.

o

Tonya
I don't care if it is a noid, I would love a start of your yellow salvia.

Kathy

o

I just potted up over a dozen rooted stems of Winter honeysuckle in 1 and 2 gal pots so there should be plenty for anyone who wants one.

Here is a picture of my bush from last summer. It is behind the rose in the pot. It's a thickly foliaged graceful bush about 7' by 7 '.

o

Roselee, what do you want in trade? I have MORE than enough aloe vera to share with anyone. I have mint, double mint, orange mint, oregano, and thyme in the greenhouse along with asparagus fern and a number of potted plants that would need to be pulled in for the winter in SA. I also have a "Confetti" lantana that I could transplant for you and my brother should have more mountain laurel volunteers -- they transplant to pots nicely when they're tiny!

o

Thanks Linda for the spider lilies. Kathy, gotcha down for the yellow salvia!

Tonya

o

Plantmaven, (Kathy) Can you shoot me an email, I have a question for you and I didn't see where I could contact you.

Thanks
Mike

o

Tx-Ag, so glad to hear you are coming! I'm sure you'll have something to trade for the Winter honeysuckle. If they all grow well, and I don't know why they wouldn't, it looks like I'll have plenty of them. Same goes for Tonya and the red shrimp plant roots.

One thing I'm needing is quart, half gallon, and 2 gal. size pots if anyone has some extras. Also need a few five gallon and larger size pots.

o

I have some kind of oak seedling that I pulled out of the garden and potted - based on the leaf shape I think it's a Red Oak (it's certainly not Live Oak). About 2ft tall right now.

I can always bring rose or shrub cuttings - let me know if you want me to post the list of varieties I have.

I'd be interested in more cast iron plant if anyone has a clump that needs thinning!

Roselee,
I have tons of plastic nursery pots in all sizes if that's the sort of pot you're looking for. Most are green or black, some thicker grade plastic than others.

rock_oak_deer,
Does ponyfoot go dormant in the winter? If not, I must've killed the start you gave me last time. If you have extra, I'd like to try it again in a different spot.

Linda,
I've been wanting spider lilies for awhile - LMK if there's something I can trade for it!

Looking forward to seeing all of you again!
- Meredith

o

Hi Meredith, I'd love to give an oak tree a shot. I hope to have more plants I'm bringing listed soon.

Tonya

o

Mike, did you get my email?

o

Mike was sick today, Kathy, but maybe he has gotten it by now.

o

Here are some more plants I can offer. Some I will only dig up if they are requested.

yellow walking iris (trimenzia martinicensis)
bicolor iris
larkspur
pavonia rock rose
peppermint
mealy cup sage (blue bedder?)

I also have extras of these SEEDS:
datua metel 'black currant swirl'
moonflowers
purple hyacinth beans
cynaglossum amabile, chinese forget-me-not
Wheat straw celosia 'flamingo feather'
blue pea vine
malva noid (tall with chaff)
antigonon leptopus, coral vine
lantana camara (pink and yellow blooms)
Texas mountain laurel

It's possible I will have extras of some of my wintersown plants, also. I don't want to promise them until they get a little bigger.

o

Hi Meredith - The silver ponyfoot is borderline hardy in our area. It might come back from the roots, but can't be counted on in a winter like this one. I covered it during the cold and the longer stems died back, but the middle leaves look good. I've potted up some starts and will put you down for one if they take.

I've also started some Santolina cuttings to trade. Santolina is a great small plant that looks exactly the same all year.

I'm looking forward to visiting with everyone even if there's not a lot to trade. In addition to the cold we had some construction here this winter so the yard is a mess with a bunch of temporary beds and pots for plants I had to dig up.

o

I went through my seed stash and sorted them out so I'm bringing a few seeds in case anyone wants them:

Crawford lettuce (have just a few of last yrs. seeds, hasn't gone to seed yet this year)
Green malabar spinach
Fimbriata Dutchman's Pipe Vine
Barbados cherry
Pride of Barbados bird of paradise
Pentapete

About pentapete: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/txgard/msg0809545412450.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting history of Crawford lettuce ...

o

I have cemetery white iris. The original start came from an ancestor's grave in Cistern, TX. They have been growing/dividing there for over 100 years. They are one of the first things to bloom in my garden.
Mine had buds on them, but the last freeze got the buds.

Photobucket

o

Ragna, Could you set aside a few of those barbados cherry seeds for me?

Here are some more plants I can share:
Nepeta 'Walker's Low'
shrimp plant 'fruit cocktail' (may still be just roots or may be sprouted by then)
giant rainlily (will dig if requested)
oxblod (schoolhouse) lily (will dig if requested)

o

HI! I came for the first time 2 yrs ago to the fall and fell in love. I am hoping I can make it to this years exchange (if gas prices are not crazy). I have recently started a bunch of veggies from seed and was wondering if that might be something someone would be interested in exchanging, or is it going to mostly be a ornamental swap (which is good too) :) I am looking for some jerusalem artichokes or (sun-chokes) and loofa. Not to mention any other plants that i can trade for...

o

Phantom I have loofah seeds you can have. They are the bathing kind, not the eating kind.
Kathy

o

Kathy,
I would love to get some seeds(bathing kind is what im look for)....Would you be interested in mailing the seeds so I could get an early start on them? If not then I will gladly trade for them at the swap.. :)

o

I will be happy to mail them. Email me.

plantmaven@gmail.com

While I am at it, would you like some birdhouse gourd seeds?

o

Have baby columbines. Not sure of colors as they cross pollinate.

o

I've heard whispers that at least one of the out of town garden clubs is thinking of making a field trip to attend the SAPS and later visiting Antique Rose Emporium (there's also the S.A. Botanical Garden that would be a great place to visit). So I just want to say -- COME ON DOWN! We'd LOVE to meet you. I'm potting up more stuff daily to bring, but it's really not ALL about the plants. It's a great opportunity for us to get together, yes? :-)

Phantom gardner, there are people coming who don't post, but who bring mostly veggies and herbs so there will be those items as well as ornamental plants and seeds. Looking forward to seeing you!

It's only a month away, give or take a couple of days.

o

Hey, where is everyone ? I had hoped to read some new posts from folks who are coming to the swap, but I imagine that everyone is outside in this gorgeous weather doing what I want to be doing...playing in the dirt.

Unfortunately, I'm lying in bed with my computer. Friday, when I WAS outside playing in the dirt, my 50-pound 4-legged sledge hammer named Dalton came running across the yard full speed and slammed into my lower leg. Can you say broken tibia ?

Yep. Thought it had to be just a sprained knee, but it got puffy huge overnight and I spent most of yesterday in urgent care and emergency room for MRI. Tomorrow I see the ortho guy about surgery. Oh joy.

So, although I hope to be okay by swap time, until then I won't be doing much in the garden. Still, I had been digging up a few things already, and I always have something in the greenhouse, so I should have something to swap.

You guys help me out and keep me entertained by posting what you're doing. It would really help me pass the time !

Hope to see you all soon.
patty

o

Patty, thanks for letting us know, but we're so sorry to hear about your 'run in' with your dog. Here's best wishes and prayers to get well quick and be back playing in the yard soon. Keep us posted on how it's going.

So okay folks, we gotta' keep Patty entertained while she is recouperating on the sidelines.

In a round about way Barbra gave me the idea of potting up some of the millions of:

LARKSPURS

growing in the yard now. This would be more for the seeds than anything else. Just a few plants would give anyone all the seeds they needed for them to come up on their own next year. I really look forward to the abundant spring and early summer bloom that larkspurs provide. Any takers out there? How many pots of plants do you think should I bring?

o

Boy! Some people will do any thing to get out of swapping. Darling girl, I am so sorry!
Are you seeing an ortho here in SA? If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to call me.

Hugz,

k

o

Here are the larkspurs last year. It rained a lot in the spring so some of them got really big. I pull the pink and white ones so all of mine are blue. If I remember correctly some of them were still blooming in mid July.

I've got 5 one gal. pots of them dug to bring so far. Will I need to bring more?

o

Patty - sorry to hear about your leg. That really sounds painful and it's not fun to be off your feet for the six weeks or so it takes to heal. Hope to see you at the swap anyway.

Progress is slow around here right now, but I'll try to post about my new projects in the garden.

The larkspurs are stunning. If you have extras, I'll try some again. I planted seeds from Kathy last fall, but I think the garage construction may have done them in.

I have red flowering yucca available too.

o

Patty may come on here later, but for now I wanted to let you all know she'll be having surgery on Wednesday to put a screw to hold the bone in place while it heals. She's doing fine right now and not in any pain.

On the subject of the swap something else I'll be bringing is:

TWO VOODOO LILY BULBS.

Plus it looks like three of mine will be blooming this spring. When they bloom that bulb dies, but produces lots of little bulbs so if anyone wants them there will be more available at the fall swap.

o

I have cuttings of sweet olive. I stuck them in water yesterday. If you are interested, I will use rootone and pot them.

Also I have a few seeds of Copper Canyon daisy.

o

This is what toad lilies look like. They bloom in the shade for almost three months in the fall.

o

Me, me, me! (waving hand)

o

Okay! LOL I can hear you hollaring all the way over to my house ;-)

o

Update on Patty: Steve just called and said the surgery went fine. The doctor was pleased that he found no ligament damage or other problems so the broken tip of the tibia was screwed in place and that was it. She'll go home from the hospital tomorrow and be wearing a knee brace for a number of weeks. Also she'll have physical therapy to make sure everything heals correctly. She's in good hands with Steve -- he can cook, clean and do laundry :-)

Of course, no one would be exactly happy to be missing gardening time in this good weather, but I think this is going to be one of those long springs so there will be time to do lots of things before the intense heat sets in.

Here's three cheers for you Patty -- hurray, hurray, hurry! And prayers as well :-)

o

Thanks for the update, I've been thinking of her today and so good to hear everything went well.

Take care of yourself Patty! We look forward to seeing you at the swap.

o

Patty, We love you!
I tried to post earlier, but the site would not let me get any further than preview.

o

One by one I'm finding some more things in the garden and greenhouse to bring. I didn't mean to discourage anybody from doing pre-trades. I know Patty and many others like to do pre-trades so they know what to dig up and bring. Other than a couple of things I just thought I'd like to see how it goes with on the spot trades.

By the way, some of you aren't set up to receive emails through Garden Web. Click your "My Page" to see if it says "Send Me an Email". If you want to add that capability scroll to the bottom on any main page of GW, click "Member Services" then "Edit Your Personal Preferences" click the email thingy and you're in business to receive emails. I've never gotten spam or anything I didn't want to receive by accepting emails through GW.

o

Thanks, you guys !

Ragna, my toad lilies never look like that !! What am I doing wrong ?

More pictures please ! Feel free to send direct emails, links to garden sites or blogs, and anything else you think I might like. This sitting inside stuff staying clean is for the birds ! I wanna get my hands dirty !

If I say "pretty please" and bat my eyelashes Steve might let me sit in a chair and water my plants. Otherwise I'm stuck on the couch. I am not liking this.

patty

o

Sooooo happy to hear Patty recovering well. Lmk if you want us to petsit B and S. Can't wait to see you back in garden action!! As for the SAPS, count me in with Bella this year. We rooted way too many angels trumpets in the house over winter and have lots of semi mini and standard African violets babies. (patty, I'll bring the edge stones 4 u).

o
RE: WANT: woolly Dutchman's pipe (A. tomentosa)

Sgtlovesbella, so happy to hear that you are coming! Any friend of Patty's is a friend of mine :-)

Does anyone have woolly Dutchman's pipe (A. tomentosa) to bring for trading?

No matter how many of the white-veined Dutchman's pipevine (A. fimbriata) I plant I never seem to have enough to keep the Pipevine swallowtail caterpillars going.

If not does anyone know where to buy it?

o

Ragna,
sgtlovesbella is Marin ! She's my Buddy's first mom !

Marin, I hope I make it to the swap. I have a month to heal, so I expect that i'll be able to, but I just don't know much about broken legs. I'm glad you will be able to be there. Thank you for offering to babysit, but Buddy just won't let me out of his sight ! He would be totally upset if you separated us. :-) We're good. They are being good nurses.

Ragna, if you go to the plant sale at the Botanical Center, remember I told you they had some for sale in the greenhouse last time we went ?

patty

o

yay, lots of swapping goin' on over here! I'm looking forward to it!

Roselee, I'd be interested in some larkspur and voodoo lilies if no one else claims them (I don't want to be greedy since you already offered the cast iron plant!)

rock_oak_deer, I like red yucca and santolina if you have extra

tonya, the celosia is enticing; is giant rainlily just a bigger version of the regular ones?

want:
- cast iron plant (roselee offered some; I have lots of shady spots, so happy to fill them in if others have clumps that need dividing!)
- passionflower vine
- agapanthus (lily of the nile)
- society garlic
- hardy succulents (or anything that can survive in a hell strip)

have:
- for tonya: red oak seedling
- rock_oak_deer: what can I trade for the ponyfoot?
- linda: what can I trade for the spider lilies?

I'll bring an assortment of plastic nursery pots for Roselee and anyone else interested; I have tons in all sizes, from 4" up to 2 gallon.

I can bring some purple wandering jew if anyone has a well-contained spot where it would stay put.

I can offer cuttings of the following roses:

Old Blush (pink semi-double china; the bush, not the climbing form; makes hips)
Madame Antoine Mari (cream w/ pink edges, tea)
Excellenz von Schubert (hot pink poly, fountain shaped bush)
Mme. Alfred Carriere (fragrant, white vigorous climbing bourbon)
Champney's Pink Cluster (fragrant, pale pink noisette, big, makes hips, very thorny)
Zepherine Drouhin (hot pink bourbon, dainty climber, thorn-free)
Archduke Charles (mutable pink-dark pink china)
Souvenir de la Malmaison (very fragrant, cabbage-like pale pink bourbon, last awhile in the vase)
Duchesse de Brabant (light pink tea, nodding blooms)

I also have the following shrubs, if anyone wants to try rooting cuttings from these:

regular green pittosporum
red tip photinia
japanese boxwood
dwarf burford holly
viburnum suspensum
glossy abelia
texas cenizo sage (barometer plant)
rosemary
mexican oregano (if it's started growing by then)

Can't wait! See y'all in a month! :)

o

Hi Meredith,

The rainlily is zephyranthes drummondii. Would you like me to set aside some celosia seeds for you?

Tonya

o

Hello again Meredith,

I think I'd like some cuttings from Arch Duke Charles, Duchess de Brabant and texas cenizo sage, purty please!

I can bring you some society garlic. Is there anything else on my list you would like?

Tonya

o

Meredith, I'll bring some red yucca for you. It's perfect for the hell strip. Mine gets 12 hours direct sun in mid summer without any signs of distress. The blooms are nice too.

Rose cuttings would be great, I'm going to add roses to my garden this year. Mme. Alfred Carriere and Madame Antoine Mari seem like good choices.

o

Meredith, I'll bring you a red spider lily. So sorry, somehow I missed that request...I seem to remember starting to read through the thread a couple of times, but had migraines and didn't get very far. I could try a cutting for Duchess de Brabant, if you don't mind. Been looking around at what else I might have, but have to save a few natives for the plant sale at the Native San Antonio event on March 26th at the Land Heritage Institue. So I'll try to put together a list of the rest I can have ready. It froze here last night...I guess I knew we weren't over on that, but still surprised.

o

Have: 2 or 3 starts of Indigo spires salvia

Photobucket

6 pots of pickling cucumbers

I bought a 6 pack of plants and each cell had 2 or 3 plants in it.

I prefer these for salads, as they stay crunchy.

o

Meredith - I'll also bring the Santolina. It's looking good too.

o

What a beautiful weekend!!!!

Here is what we're bringing or have: jars of sesame fig preserves, cashmere bouquet, plumeria cuttings, African violet babies, a few orchids, waterlilies, water irises, lions tail, angels trumpet rooted cuttings, garden pots ceramic, some garden tools no longer used, holy rock (limestone with holes throughout, allium white puff and a large 4 layer coffee mocha sponge cake with fresh whip cream coconut jam filling for us to enjoy.

Linda if u have any more red spider lilies I would love some
Ragna: would love toad lilies, passion vine, voodoo and malabar seeds
Shirley: would love some angelcwing begonia
Kathy, would love some cemetery iriscand columbine
Tonya love some bicolor, and oxblood lily

o

Ok, I have you down for columbine and white iris.

o

Marin! Yum yum -- I'm so glad you are coming!

Oh and by the way, I don't have passion vine, but the others are good to go.

Actually I'm glad for everyone that's coming :-)

o

Sgtlovesbella, gotcha down for bicolor iris and oxblood lilies. I'd love an orchid. What kind of orchids are they? Would also like some of those sesame fig preserves. BTW - we share a birthday, happy belated b-day!

Tonya

o

Linda - I requested red spider lily early where you probably missed it. If you still have a few, I'd love some.

Marin - Angel Wing Begonia set aside for you. Water lily and water iris would be great. There's lots on your list to like, anything else you want? We can trade rocks hehehehehehe.......

--Shirley

o

Here's my list so far; let me know if I forgot something:

-- Patty:
I'm bringing you:
- cuttings of roses (except Arch. Charles)

-- Roselee:
I'm bringing you:
- plastic nursery pots, various sizes
in exchange for:
- cast iron plant
- larkspur and voodoo lilies if no one else claims them

-- rock_oak_deer:
I'm bringing you:
- Mme. Alfred Carriere and Mme. Antoine Mari cuttings
in exchange for:
- red yucca
- santolina
- silver ponyfoot

-- tonya:
I'm bringing you:
- red oak seedling
- cuttings from Archduke Charles, Duchess de Brabant and texas cenizo sage
in exchange for:
- celosia seed
- society garlic
- larkspur and/or irises if you have extra

-- linda:
I'm bringing you:
- Duchesse de Brabant cuttings
in exchange for:
- red spider lilies

I still want:
- any cast iron plant you need to thin out
- passionflower vine
- agapanthus (lily of the nile)
- anything that can survive in shade
- anything that can survive in a hell strip

I'm also interested in med./large rocks for edging a new flowerbed, if anyone in the SA area has some you'd like hauled off!

o

Meri, I can give a couple dark blue agapanthus.

Photobucket

hummer not encluded

o

Shirley, sorry I didn't see that either. I have one more, you're welcome to it. I was potting up some Barbara's Buttons (Marshallia caespitosa) and Cedar Sage today and have a few of each.

o
another subject

And sgtlovesbella, I can dig up another lily for you. Do you have more fig preserves?

o

Hello All ! I have emailed some of you already about trades and I will be sending emails to a few others today probably. I'm pretty sure that by the time of the swap I will be in good walking condition. But I don't want to miss anything by not speaking up now. Plants are being spoken for quickly !

I know I have things to bring, but cannot get outside to make a good list. I will try to remember some of the things and post them below.

Linda -- I sent you an email yesterday or Sunday, but it was about something else. Please check email if you read this.

Below are a few of what I may bring if I make the swap. The lovely ladies who already have promised me something will get first choice. Please email me directly if you are interested in something. I often miss requests posted here.

crag lily (echeandia texensis)
bee balm
hill country aster
spider/airplane plant
verbascum/mullien (if they survive being potted)
rain lily bulbs (large pink blooms)
mums (may be purple)
iris (purple) can send a photo

I know I have other stuff and will figure it out as soon as I can get back on both feet. If there is something you're looking for, please ask. I may have it but won't offer it unless I have a large supply.

Emailing some of you soon !

patty

o

Hi Meredith, gotcha down for your list above. Did you want yellow walking iris or bicolor iris?

Tonya

o

Can u ladies please teach me how to root roses? I would love a tutorial on rooting antique/fragrant roses. Would trade for home cooked lunch? Spring rolls........ Chocolate chip cookies.........

Tonya, I have mini phals, and a few hardy catts.
Shirley, I LOVE cane begonias, and double/triple angels trumpets if u have any extra cuttings. Rocks hehe, no thanks on the trade, my back!!!!
Linda, yes I do have jam for u:))

o

Holey rocks...does anyone (I know Patty does...hehe!) remember that first central Texas swap? A guy brought holey rocks and started my present collection of those. It rained and rained and I think everybody had a good time!

o

Kathy - thanks for the agapanthus! What can I bring you in exchange?

Tonya - either iris sounds good to me, so I'll take whatever is unclaimed as of swap day!

sgtlovesbella - Roselee seems to have figured out how to root roses, so maybe you can talk to her at the swap? I'd be happy to bring you some cuttings to try; LMK which varieties you're interested in.

o

Marin - I sent you an email

Linda - Thanks, that's great

o

Meri ~ nothing, as I am not sure they will come back.
And I don't want to add more plants, just maintain what I have.

K

o

Marin,

I don't know much about orchids, can you choose an easy one for me with a pink or purple bloom if you have it?

Thanks, Tonya

o

Meri ~ I found another pot of agapanthus in the green room built on the patio.

o

Plantmaven,

Those cemetery white iris are absolutely beautiful. Looking forward to attending this year if I can make it. Read about it before but have never participated.

o

Ranger, I just post on the discussions forum regarding the swap. We would love for you to come up.
Do you want some of the cemetary whites? I have plenty. They are now blooming. They are very hardy.

BTW, love your user name.

Kathy

o

Linda, the rock man was Mike from Bastrop. I don't think that was one of our rainy swaps though. But we've had a few !

WANTS....

I had made up a list of plants that I'm looking for, but forgot to add them in my post above.

dicliptera suberecta -- hoping one of you has some left from a plant I gave you once. Mine has not returned.

winecups
Belinda's Dream rose (cuttings)
iris or daylily I don't have
blue-eyed grass
bog sage
four nerve daisy
fleabane
penstemon
betony
cat's whiskers
gold yarrow

If you don't have these, but you know where I can find them, please let me know. thanks !

patty

o
RE: HAVE: Rooting Roses

Someone mentioned my name above in connection with rooting roses. I'm fairly new at it, but have been having fair success with the gallon plastic baggie method. Just a few minutes ago I was thrilled to find that some cuttings received from Calif. five weeks ago had rooted.

Anyway, I'd be happy to bring some stuff to the swap and show those interested how I've been doing it.

In the mean time copy and paste these links, and read them to familiarize yourself with the many ways and means by which rooting can be done.

http://scvrs.homestead.com/CuttingsImproved.html

http://www.texasroserustlers.com/Library/Propagation/FavoritePropagation.pdf
http://www.hartwoodroses.com/Articles/rootingroses.php

One easy, EASY way you can try anytime you are pruning roses is to stick six to eight inch pieces into the soil around the mother plant. Strip off all the leaves except the top set. Some people put a clear glass jar or plastic bottle with the bottom cut out over the cutting and some don't. Stick a lot of them and you'll often get 2 or 3, or even more, to root.

BTW, I'm finding onesies and twosies of some plants that I haven't listed that I'll be bringing. See you at the swap!

o

You may have read this on the main forum already, but if not Patty wanted her friends to know that she is back in the hospital so can't answer emails right now.

She had trouble taking deep breaths night before last and tests revealed that she has blood clots in both lungs and in her knee. She is, of course, on blood thinners and is being carefully monitored. She would appreciate your prayers.

I just talked to Patty's hubby Steve and he said she has less pain when breathing than yesterday. The doctors expect a good outcome since basically she is in excellent health. The doctors expect she'll be released from the hospital tomorrow or Monday.

Okay back to the trades!

o

Thanks for the update.

o

My prayers are with Patty ............. have never met her, but feel that I know here through her posts. You guys have a great plant swap...........just wish it weren't so far.

o

I spoke to Patty, all of our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery are with her. She knows that we all love her and that whatever she needs, we r here to help.

As for the swap, we have also dug up lots of
dwarf heart shape cactus
red blooming aloe
Gregs mist

o

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS !

They worked. My surgeon today called me Miracle Child. He told me of a man, not a year older than I, who recently was not as lucky. Very sad. And very scary.

Carrie, I wish you could come to one of our swaps. Would like to meet you, since I see you on here now and then. Where do you live ?

Marin, a good friend gave me an orchid while I was in the hospital. How do I care for it ? I know...I can look it up on the internet, but would love to hear what you do.

Thank you all for your well-wishes and positive thoughts coming my way. They are very much appreciated ! Your offers of help will not be forgotten.

I came home Tuesday afternoon. Feeling a bit puny still, but time will help that I hope. On crutches for a little while and starting physical therapy next week. I hope to be able to make it to the swap. Please keep all your fingers crossed for me !

patty

o

Yeah Patty!

Glad you are doing better and will sure continue praying for you!

Here is an updated list of what I have and below it a list of what I already have arranged in trades. Please check my trade list and see if it agrees with what you have...

salvia yellow noid - 0
yellow walking iris (trimenzia martinicensis) - 3
bicolor iris - several
larkspur - 3
pavonia rock rose - 3
peppermint
mealy cup sage (blue bedder?) can dig of requested
Nepeta 'Walker's Low' - out
shrimp plant 'fruit cocktail' sprouting from roots - 4
giant rainlily (will dig if requested)
oxblood (schoolhouse) lily (will dig if requested)
kumquat (1)
salvia lyrata , lyre leaf sage (1)
creeping charlie - 1
bee balm (monarda didyma) 'Raspberry wine' - 7
variegated liarope - 4
passiflora foetida, running pop - 2
black-eyed susan (rudbeckia hirta, I think)- 2
lavender salvia coccinea - 1
angelwing begonia - 1
society garlic - out

SEEDS:
datura metel 'black currant swirl'
moonflowers
purple hyacinth beans
cynaglossum amabile, chinese forget-me-not
Wheat straw celosia 'flamingo feather'
blue pea vine
malva noid (tall with chaff)
antigonon leptopus, coral vine
lantana camara (pink and yellow blooms)
Texas mountain laurel

Trades:

Kathy To: Salvias: yellow noid and nepeta
tree cuttings, poppies
Ragna To: nepeta
Patty To: nepeta and society garlic
Meredith To: society garlic, celosia seeds, larkspur, bicolor iris
Linda From: red spider lilies
Marin To: bicolor iris and oxblood lilies

Just a week from tomorrow!!!!!

Tonya

o

Oh, Patty, so glad you are home and doing so well, and that you may be able to go to the swap. I live in Copper Canyon, a little community about 40 miles north of Dallas and just south of Denton.
Prayers and positive thoughts are with you.

o

Oops, forgot to add that I have 2 Brazos blackberries, too!

Tonya

o

I hope there are some 'hungry' people coming, people wanting:

13 winter honeysuckle bushes (nice size & well rooted!),

5 little pots of several toad lily plants each,

6 coral vines (I had to remove them),

1 inland sea oats (I can dig more)

and the various ones and twos I have potted up such as several named varieties of canna lilies,

Plus a bunch of easy grow seeds such as pentapete and green Malabar spinach.

Hmmm, maybe I should not bring it all, ya' think?

o

Yahoo!!! I'm so glad you're recovering patty!!! Lmk if you want company and I'll fly over there asap with food of course:) as to the orchid, best thing is to change out the spaghnum that they were bought in for 1/2 course medium bark, 1/4 medium course perlite, 1/4 medium course charcoal. If it is a common phalenopsis then a good clean clay pot is best. You will fertilize at 1/4th strength once a week for 3 weeks and then leach out the salts on the fourth with declorinated water. This is the cycle you should repeat every month. It requires good light (like our sunroom) but no direct sun. Humidity should be quite high, fishtanks or bowls of water close by it is a must. Don't baby it, don't keep it damp, and threaten to throw it away if it doesn't bloom for u and it will bloom at least twice a year for 2-3 months at a time. guaranteed:)

Tonya, ill bring you both a phal and and Keikei (baby) of and epi. Super easy orchids at care for and bloom. Can i ask for a bee balm and a shrimp plant?

Ragna: can I ask for a coral vine and winter honeysuckle?

Added haves:
Rooted yellow butterfly vine and seedpods.
I have a gigantic blooming variegated hoya that smells like chocolate late night early morning, does anyone want cuttings?

Here is a link that might be useful: He's a pix of the butterfly vine

o

I just got back from the coast, I cut back 660 lbs of brush from my plants and took to the dump. I am still waiting to see if any of the hibiscus will come back. I did bring some Parlor Palms, red leaf canna, and tropicanna canna. Also, some herbs oregano and dill. Tonya, I would love some of your hyacinth seeds, and also a fruit cocktail plant. Roselee, I would love to try the toad lilies, do they go in the sun, or shade? Barbra

o

Hi Barbra! Hadn't heard from you for so long I was about ready to call out the posse, but figured you were at the coast. 660 lbs is a lot of brush!

The toad lilies grow in the shade. I've got plenty enough to pass around.

WANTED: If anyone has cone flower babies I'd like to have some starts. I used to find lots of seedlings when I had them before.

o

Roselee, I will bring you one of the newer coneflower babies. I just checked and they came back. I don't have alot, but don't mine sharing. I will bring to the swap for you. I also have the older ones, if you want one of those too. Barbra.

o

Hello Hello Folks!! Just wanted to take stock of what I had so I could post my haves and wants. As follows:

Haves:
Opuntia Baby Rita pads (like tiny santa rita cacti)
Lots of plastic pots from 4 inch to a few 8 gallon pots
selenicereus cuttings
2 irises..small fans that broke off from a few kathy gave me.
I can make a batch of cactus soil if anyone wants some
Also I can find some decorative rocks or holey rock

Wants:
Tonya I was wondering if I could have some bee balm, black eyed susan or a giant rainlily. I really need some perennials for my formal and wildflower garden folks. Also Ragna do you have any more voodoo lily bulbs? Also would love to try any plants that folks could offer. Im sure I'll have more "haves" in the days that follow. Thanks guys!

o

Barbra, just a sprout of one of the coneflowers will be fine. Maybe someone else will have a small one that seeded out and that will give me some to get them started here again.

Joey! I wondered if you were coming :-)

Sorry, but the two Voodoo lily bulbs I had are spoken for. But I'll keep you in mind and be sure to get one to you in the fall! BTW, I appreciate all the great plants I've gotten from you.

There's a small size purple cacti??? How small is it? Wow -- I think I want one. I can bring grey thornless cactus pads (pretty common) another thornless cactus with very large irregular shaped pads, some small cactus pads I call Mickey Mouse ears, and another one that is similar but slightly larger. The last two are bright green and the short thorn pattern is very decorative like straw color polka dots. If anybody wants any of these let me know.

Wanted: starts of any kind of passion vine that the larva of Gulf frit butterflies will eat.

o

Patty - Great to hear you are doing so well.

Barbra and Joey - Look forward to seeing you both at the swap.

Barbra - I would love a Tropicanna.

Roselee - A Toad Lily would be great too.

I divided White Skullcap this morning and potted up two extras for the swap.

o
have: saps

Also have plenty of Wormwood Artemsia I can dig up.

o

Shirley I will put you down for a tropicanna canna, I also have one of the canna that I grew from seeds from Siam in Trinidad, when I won "The guess how many canna plants I have contest", on the brugmansia forum. It has a soft pink bloom, with freckles on it, really pretty. I do not know the name of it, since I grew it from seeds, would you like me to hold that for you? Its a Siam orignial, he crosses them. Also I would be interested in the brugmansia cuttings that you offered me. Barbra

o

These are confirmed:

Marin: bee balm and shrimp plant. Thanks for the orchids!
Barbra: hyacinth seeds and shrimp plant. Good to hear you are coming! Would love some oregano, please.
Joey: bee balm black-eyed susan and giant rainlily. Glad to hear you're coming, too!

Tonya

BTW, guess I just got so excited I thought it was next weekend! Actually I got it mixed up with another event. My daughter and son-in-law will be in town to "reveal" the gender of my first grandbaby! Propogation of a different sort!

o

Roselee, I almost forgot, I did the cuttings of the Flores Street Eater, I think a few of them have already rooted, I will bring those too. Remember you asked for them, when you saw the rose last fall. Barbra

o

Barbra, that's great! I do remember that contest. A Siam original, I'd really love that. Haven't seen him post lately, he must be busy with his college work.

I'll bring brug cuttings from Flamenco, Daybreak and single and double white.

o

Shirley I would love the brugmansia cuttings. I promise you will like the Siam original, I think its beautiful. Tonya, I will save you an oregano, I had to cut them way back, since they were so full, now they look skimpy, but I think the will get full again before the swap. Linda Collins got the oregano I cut off, she had 14 guest at her house during spring break last week. I bet she is one tried lady this week. I wish she could come to the swap, but they are getting ready for their Rockport Herb fest. Barbra

o

Barbra, the Flores house eater rose cuttings didn't take. I still have a house ;-)

o

Joey - I have plenty of Red Flowering Yucca. I'd love to have you take some home, please.

o

If anyone wants to see pictures of the Flores St. house eater rose go to the link below, look on the left for "Information", click on "Found Roses", and then click on "Flores St. House Eater".

We can all gather round and Barbra can tell us about her adventures in collecting cuttings of this rose at the swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peaceful Habitations Rose Gardens ...

o

Roselee, I am the most famous rose rustler on this forum. I took cuttings from the FSE and stuck them in the ground, looks like they rooted. I will bring them to the swap. It's the oldest rose in the state of Texas, I think it will be one of your favorites. When I first got the rose, I wanted to get rid of it, and contaced the owner of the Antique Rose Emporium, he really wanted it, in fact after I talked to him, I decided I would keep it. Barbra

o

Looking forward to the swap. I have some wooden tressils, small bonsai crepe myrtle, seeds, and other nick knacks. I was hoping to get a mini-banana tree if anyone has any.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardeners Index Homepage

o

Hey Pat! I can't help on the banana. Do you want any white or purple iris, Indigo spires salvia or NOID columbines?

Kathy

o

Anyone want some of this yarrow?

Photobucket

o
RE: WANTED: porter weed

Does anyone have blue/purple porter weed to share???

I bought some in a gal. container late last year and it didn't survive in the overwintering house; maybe because it was hidden and didn't get watered enough.

There are several porter weeds and among them, the one I had, Stachytarpheta urticifolia, is considered invasive in some situations, but is a good butterfly nector plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porter weed

o
RE: WANTED: Japanese aralia

Does anyone have a division or root sprout of Japanese aralia???

It would be much appreciated if you do.

If anyone wants any "chocolate plant" Pseuderanthemum alatum, they are coming up now and I can dig some.

To see what it looks like go here >>> http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week224.shtml

Here is a link that might be useful: Fatsia japonica - Japanese Aralia

o

Barbra I would love one of those house eaters if you have an extra!

Kathy, that yarrow looks pretty too, pretty please!

o

Tonya, sure.

o
RE: want: San Antonio Spring swap

Would anyone happen to have 3 truely huge aloe vera, preferably yellow bloomers? Mine did not make it. I have babies but would like to have the large ones back now for that garden. I could trade white bird of paradise.

o

Does anyone have red spider lilies to share?

o

Tect, do you mean Lycoris radiata? If so I have a few and can bring you a start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lycoris radiata

o

Tonya, I went to put the house eater cuttings in pots, noticed they have small buds. Sacraficed one plant to check the roots, and it did not have roots, but I think, with new leaves and buds, they are almost there. I will bring them for you and Roselee.
Also, Roselee I would love to have a couple of the chocolate plants, mine did not come back. I just got back from the coast, and did not dig up the dill, since no one wanted any. I did bring back a few asian lilies, they have small bulb. I brought some for Patty, and brought a couple extra. Barbra

o

Okie doke so this is my trading/receiving list that Im aware of so far:

From Ragna-winter honeysuckle, eutin rose starts and larkspur
To Ragna-2 8gal pots and Baby Rita cactus pads

From Patty-Texas Craglily and bee balm
To Patty- Baby Rita cactus pads

From Tonya-bee balm black-eyed susan and giant rainlily
To Tonya-? I didnt know if there was anything on my list that you would appreciate. Let me know.

From Shirley- Red Yucca
To Shirley- Did you see anything on my list you would like?

I still have these still available:
various size pots from 4 inch to 3-5 gallons
Selenicereus cuttings
2 small iris fans (from a few that kathy gave me last year and are actually about to bloom)
Giant elephant ear bulbs(From a mature clump that had 3x4 foot leaves)
Salvia Farinacea cv. Evolution-2 4 inch pots.
Cactus soil
Annnd maybe if the seeds come up...Ghost chile seedlings. They showed promise and I'll have to see

o

I have a crepe myrtle bonsai in porcelean pot, couple of small wooden trellises, succulents, passion vine plants, and seeds.
I am looking for ground cover FERNS. I don't need the hanging kind. I'm trying to fill a shady spot. Shade plants of any kind would work, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardener's Index Webpage

o

leapingfroglady, if your passion vine is anything other than the common purple invasive one I want to trade for it. I lost my red one, and blue and white one. I love this plant, but the purple one even comes up in my grass, so I do not need that one. Barbra

o
RE: HAVE: San Antonio Spg swap

Shirley, is your angel wing begonia, rooted, if so, I would really like one. I am not good at rooting stuff. I checked and today will be potting up bouncing betty, blue plumbago, and oxalia. Barbra

o

Anyone have some sweet autumn clematis to share? I thought I got some from someone last year (Tonya maybe?), but it just bloomed and looks like passionvine (which I love, so no complaints)! I probably got mixed up when planting, so the passionvine I thought I killed must've been the SAC. LOL!

Let me know if you have any sweet autumn clematis to share! See y'all on Saturday!

(here's the vine - doesn't have those big leaves the caterpillars love, but the flower sure says passionvine to me)

Here is a link that might be useful: vine: mistaken identity

o
RE: HAVE: San Antonio Spring swap - herbs and roses

I think I'm going to have some extra seedlings of cilantro and italian flat-leafed parsley as well, so I'll bring those.

My roses are starting their spring show; the first 3 pics at this link are 3 of the ones I've offered for cuttings if anyone's interested (ignore the other rose pics; those are from France, so can't bring you those!):

Here is a link that might be useful: Duchesse de Brabant, Archduke Charles, and Souv. de la Malmaison

o

Barbra - I do have a small rooted Begonia for you. Usually have bigger ones, but this year was hard on them with more clouds than sun in the laundry room window. They are "can't miss" rooters though. Just snap and push them into the soil in the same pot. In fact you have to keep doing that because the stems get too woody otherwise. You got the Flores St. rose to root when I couldn't so you must be pretty good at rooting. I potted up the two pink Brug cuttings for you two weeks ago and they haven't perked up yet, still have hope for Sat. I'm waiting to make the white brug cuttings since the branches are still so green.

Joey - I'd love a giant elephant ear.

Meredith - Can you save a flat leaf parsley seedling for me please?

o

rock_oak_deer,
I'll bring you some parsley in addition to the MAC and MAM cuttings. So glad to have something to swap - I hate being a leech! ;)

o

Meri, that is a clematis, just not SAC. Really pretty.

Kathy

o

Meri, if you want SAC, I have PLENTY! Would be glad to bring one!

o

If Joey runs out of elephant ears, I have some I can bring. They have been in the greenhouse all winter. Just email me soon so I can find them.

patty

o

I am getting excited about the plant swap. I just love getting together with folks, who love plants as much I do. Barbra

o

Meredith, oh no, definitely not! I enjoy having something to share.

Look forward to seeing you at the swap.

Shirley

o

Linda,
I would love some SAC! Thank you!

o

Joey, can you set aside some cactus soil for me and I'll look through your pots and maybe take some of those, too.

Linda, Ithink I'd like to try some SAC, too, if
you have enough.

Thanks guys!

Tonya

o

Tonya, I just potted one up. If it's okay by then I'll bring it!

o

Don't forget to bring things for the drawing. It's nice if everyone can go home with something decorative or useful, something besides plants. It can be anything garden related, some brought books and magazines last year, and it doesn't have to be new.

o

tect_one, sorry not to have replied earlier...did not see that! Yes, I can bring you a Red Spider Lily.

o

thank you Linda - Vivian

o

Found two castor beans -- does anyone want one ?

also finding some violets. Please email me directly if you want either of these. I will be digging them up the day before and probably bringing them bare root.

patty

o

Patty, I'll take the castor beans, they keep moles away. Barbra

o

Does anybody want cuttings of the curly (corkscrew) willow tree? It can make a tree, but so far I'm keeping mine in a large pot with a large deep saucer where it's a very graceful shrub. They root easily.

Also can supply Uncle Nap's honey fig, or dwarf black fig cuttings. The latter stays small and has very tasty black figs which I eat off the bush.

o

Roselee are the figs hard to root? If you think I can root one in Rockport, I would like a cutting, my husband loves figs. Barbra

o

I've found them easy to root, but remember now that it's best to root them in late winter. Some people keep them in the fridge for a few weeks and then root them. So scratch the fig cutting offer. I'll try to root some next winter for you Barbra, and anyone else who wants them.

Did anyone get the fig cuttings to root that I passed around before?

o

Hi all, can't wait to see all of you. As promised I'm making a cake for us to enjoy. Does anyone have plastic forks and paper plates they can spare that they can bring?

Ragna, can u bring the fig cuttings? They r easily rootted in a bog garden. I have Celeste and Texas Everbearing if you would like rooted cuttings of them?

o

I'll bring small plates for the cake. Barbra

o

Okay, I'll bring some fig cuttings. Thank for the offer, but I have three figs trees which is all I have room for.

Does anyone have seeds or small plants of the little vine LOVE IN A PUFF? If you do I'd like to get it going again. Reworked the beds it was in so thoroughly it didn't come back this year.

BTW, I found some four inch pots of PORTERWEED at ARE so don't need those. Hopefully, I'll have some to share next year.

See you all about this time tomorrow :-) MacArthur Park opens at 9:00.

o
RE: Passion vine ..

I haven't confirmed it with anyone, but hope somebody brings PASSION VINE so I'll have some for the Gulf frit butterflies.

Shirley, I'd like to try the WHITE SKULLCAP if still available.

Marin, I have some little spoons on hand for the cake.

o
RE: Joey ...

Joey, is your Mom coming? If not tell her "Hi" for us!

o

no...she's going to be in corpus with my aunt. In the meantime im glad your gonna bring the fig cuttings.

o

I have the white coming up like fleas. If I get time, I will pull more if you want.
I will be gone until about 8:00 tonight.

o

Ragna, if you have any left over, I would love a cutting from Uncle Naps. I have a couple passiflora foetida, wooly passion vine. I don't know if that variety is liked by the gulf frits. I'll save one for you.

o

I will not be there until closer to 12. Had to arrange transport as grandson is working and using my truck ;-(

Vivian

o

Ragna - I am bringing extra White Skullcap so I'll have one for you.

Would love a cutting of the black Fig. So funny, we were out running errands today and one of the items on the list was the small black Fig which I did not find at RG. Your Uncle Nap's Honey Fig is doing great, two of them rooted and are about to outgrow the 3 gal pots. I know this is late so may have to wait for some other time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here