rock_oak_deer

HAVE: San Antonio Spring Swap 2013-Plan your trades here

rock_oak_deer
11 years ago

SPRING 2013 SAN ANTONIO PLANT SWAP -- MARK YOUR CALENDARS
DATE: Saturday April 6, 2013

TIME: 9:00 to noonish

LOCATION: Rogiers Park, 209 Pleasant Dr., Balcones Heights, Texas

With the mild weather it should be a good year for plants. Be sure to bring a wagon or cart if you have one.

I will be there before 8:00 am to reserve the tables.

Everyone is welcome, especially new gardeners! You don't have to swap plants, bring something to share and you will be rewarded.

See you there!

Comments (150)

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Gardenlover the first plant is a primrose jasmine and the other one appears to be a dietes or a type of grass

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Barleria repens for you D.
    Tally Ho!

• meriberi
    11 years ago

Hi y'all! I plan to come this spring, though as usual I don't have much to offer. Here's what I do have:

- lots of self-rooted pink fall-blooming trumpet vine (smells great, not as aggressive as regular trumpet vine)
    - reve d'or rose from Roselee which I still haven't found a spot for; if someone has a great spot for it, I'd be willing to part with it
    - lots of plastic nursery pots of all sizes, 4", quart, gallon, 5-gallon
    - I'm a much better cook than I am a gardener, so I'd be happy to trade food! Muffins, cupcakes, cookies, lunch - tell me what you like and I'll make it.

I'm interested in the following, if you can find anything worthy of a trade:
    - rock_oak_deer (shirley): artemesia, ruby crystals grass
    - phoenix (joey): agastache
    - southofsa: society garlic, sage, feather grass
    - nbtonya: artemesia, rock rose

I'm always interested in any salvias, frost-hardy succulents, turk's cap (especially pink) and cast iron plant you want to get rid of.

See y'all soon!
    - m

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Meredith, have you down for the artemesia and ruby grass.

I'd like the rose, already have one and wished I had another to go with it.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I am going to be able to go to the swap. Gardenlover I will bring you a meyers lemon tree, it is blooming, you will love the smell. I really do not need any plants, and Tonya I will bring you a plumeria cutting. Tally I am bringing you a Xena rooted brugmansia plant, its is a dark dark pink, you will love it. I sent you an email with Marks information on what brugs he has for sale. Kathy, are you coming? If you are, I will bring you a cutting from New Orleans Lady.. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's good to hear you can make it to the swap Barbra. Kathy is not going to be there and Patty can't make it either.

• dstartz
    11 years ago

Tomorrow my husband and I will be taking a tour of the Texas Olive Ranch in Asherton and buying some rooted olive tree cuttings for around $5 apiece.

Anyone else interested in some rooted cuttings I'd be happy to pick them for you and I can either meet you at the medical center in SA Monday or I can bring them to you at the swap on the 6th.

It seems to me that the person I spoke with said they had 3 varieties for sale, but all I can remember for sure is the Arbequina. If the variety matters to you, let me know what you' like ~in the order that you would like them~ and I will use that list tomorrow. (see this page for the varieties of large trees they have listed)

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Olive Ranch

• gardenlover1
    11 years ago

Barbara: Thank you for the meyers lemon.

phoenix7801: Thanks for the names of the plants.

I am interested in white color rose if any one has it.

• southofsa
    11 years ago

Meredith,
    I have you down for the society garlic, sage and Mexican feather grass. I'll take baked goods. Surprise me- we're not at all picky around this house :-)

Lisa

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Meredith, gotcha down for the artemesia and rock rose!

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Oh and Barbra, thanks for the plumeria cutting!

• zitro_joe
    11 years ago

Some Nasturtiums seedlings available. I had 99% germination - way more than I need.

• CrapeMyrtleGuy
    11 years ago

I am not going to make it....Not sure I am on the right thread for what I was offering. Sorry.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Gardenlover, I can bring you cuttings from my" Flores Street House Eater", if you have room.It has beautiful blooms, but will need alot of room. Look it up on the internet and let me know if you want some. It is very easy to root. There is an interesting story behind how I got my cuttings. Barbra

• meriberi
    11 years ago

Shirley: so glad beautiful reve d'or will finally have a worthy home! I would've created one for her eventually, but I know she'll be well-cared-for in your garden :)

Lisa: any allergies I should be aware of? Chocolate, nuts, fruits?

Tonya: what can I bring you?

Gardenlover: I have Mme Antoine Carriere (climbing bourbon) and Champney's Pink Cluster (noisette) that are mostly white, slightly tinged pink - want some cuttings?

• southofsa
    11 years ago

Meredith- no allergies. Seriously, anything you like to bake we'll like to eat :-)

Lisa

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Leaving to go to the coast for Easter in just a few minutes, will not be back until next week. Barbra

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

My "Heritage" and Lizette de Lizzy" rose cuttings are putting on new leaves so I think they have rooted. Any takers?

I also found a Brazos Penstemon, a variegated Philippine Violet and some oregano, if anyone is interested...

Tonya

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Barbra,
    My Flores St. House Eater cutting that you gave me before didn't make it. Can I try again? BTW, when you google it, a lovely picture of you at a plant swap comes up on google images!

Tonya

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

oops, the net was going so slow I double posted, so edited to erase....

This post was edited by nbtonya on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 16:41

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've added Gregg's Blue Mistflower to my list. Great native butterfly nectar plant.

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Got an agastache set aside for you meredith

This post was edited by phoenix7801 on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 0:04

• gardenlover1
    11 years ago

Barbara - Wow! What a beautiful flower and amazing plant Flores Street House Eater! Sure, I would like to try the cuttings.

meriberi - sure, I would like to try your cuttings too.

Hope at least one of them will root.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Barb, thanks for the brug! I would love a cutting of the house eater, I have the perfect spot for it.

Tonya, I would love Lizette de lizzy if you have any left

does anone have a variegated phillipine violet? Cuttings will work.

Meredith, we'll eat about anything , I just can't eat, or be near mangoes. But if you ever want to kill me that will do it lol!
    Tally HO!

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Beachplant,

I have plenty Lizettes so put you down for one and a variegated philippine violet.

Tonya

• zitro_joe
    11 years ago

I will have to leave by 1015, kids soccer games were rescheduled.

Spending my 2nd night at SAMMC. I'm ready to break out this place...

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

zitro_joe,

Sorry to hear you are having to spend time in the hospital. Hope you have made it home by now and are feeling much better.

Tonya

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

zitro_joe I hope you are doing much better now and are at home.

I will be at the park before 8:00 and most people arrive by 9:00. If you need to leave plants, I will help get them to the right person.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Tonya, if the rose you are calling Lizette came from me, it is Rosette Delizy. Mine are so pretty right now.

• zitro_joe
    11 years ago

I will set up the trades is bags just in case I have to leave early.

Thanks, all.
    I scraped my leg and it turned into Staph/MRSA...put me down. Three days of antibiotics through an IV.
    Just released to go home.

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

zitro-joe, glad you are headed home and sorry you had to go through that.

Kathy, you are so right, it is the one I got from you, so I wrote the name tag wrong. Thanks for clarifying that!

Tonya

• gardenlover1
    11 years ago

Tonya, I would like to try Rosette Delizy if you have any left. Are you interested in anything from my list?

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Gardenlover1, I now have you down for a Rosette de Lizzy. Consider it a gift!

Tonya

• gardenlover1
    11 years ago

Thanks Tonya.

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

Donna, sorry I haven't exactly kept up with the thread. Of course you can have the Aromatic Aster! Have any Desert Willow cuttings rooted?
    And if anyone wants Root Beer Plant/Hoja Santa, I have plenty.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Just got back from the coast, I brought back the lemon tree, plumeria cutting, xena brugmansia, and purple datura. I will bring alot of cuttings from the Flores Street Eater to the swap. ..It very easy to root, just stick the cuttings in potting soil, and keep on your back porch, out of full sun. Barbra

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Not sure why it posted twice this time...

Tonya

This post was edited by nbtonya on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 21:12

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Tally, do you have a morning glory bush? I got mine from Jim, it loves it in the hot sun, and is drought tolerant. I love the non stop blooms.. It goes get quite large, so it will need to have space to bloom. I brought home some rooted cuttings, if you are interested. Albert taught me how to root these, and I have been practicing. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mamachile posted a note for Joey and gardenlover on the discussions thread so I put the link here for everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to discussion thread

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Got the message thank you very much! Yes I'm still interested in the grapefruit

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    11 years ago

Hoping to see everyone this Sat. I have a few plants to bring. A couple of tomatoe plants. Black cherry from seed that grow in extremely HOT climate. Seeds came from Nevada. I also have a hibiscus (see pic). I have several of these. Plus, old man's pipe and iris bulbs (color unknown). Plus, a few succulents, too. I'm looking for sedums, and other succulents. Plus, veggie type seeds or seedlings. You know me...I pretty much am happy with anything. :)

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Hi all, mike and I are looking forward to the swap but we haven't anything prepared this time.
    However, I would like to have one of Lisa's cayenne pepper and Joey's Spanish Lavender if you still have them.

Mara, sorry to hear about your husband, hope he is in the mend now.

• zitro_joe
    11 years ago

LeapingFrogLady...can I please please please get one of those hibiscus plants? I have toying with the idea of tomatoes, I would love to get one of those toos.

As for vegetables from me; I have some Purple Tomatillio seedlings that came up last week. still small but should be transplant size soon. Nasturtiums can be used an herb (real spicy). I tend to throw them in my salads to liven it up. I have plenty of those. Columbine seeds just germinated this week as well. I have a list of more stuff locate up top.

Thanks
    zJoe

This post was edited by zitro_joe on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 14:32

• gardenlover1
    11 years ago

Got the message, thank you very much.

Thanks Mamachile, see you at the swap.

leapingfroglady: I am interested in hibiscus and tomato. I have seeds - okra, yard long beans, egg plant, cantalope, honey dew melon.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    11 years ago

ZitroJoe 1 red hibiscus and 1 tomatoe
    Trade for 1
    purple tomatillo and nasturtium
    Garden Lover 1 red hibiscus and 1 tomatoe
    Trade for yard long bean and cantaloupe

I will bring some shrimp plant cuttings on Sat if anyone would like some. They are so easy to root. See pic

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    11 years ago

I can bring shrimp plant cuttings if anyone is interested. these are so easy to root.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    11 years ago

I have a couple of Mexican sage potted up to trade.

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Omg, leapingfroglady, is that a bee on that sage? Cute.

• zitro_joe
    11 years ago

Leapingfroglady - good to go.

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Mamachile I got a Spanish lavender set aside for you. LeapingFroglady what you have there is Hibiscus acetosella "Red Shield". We just rooted alot of it for the gardens recently.

Just realized I posted the magic 150th post so I guess its time to start a new thread.

This post was edited by phoenix7801 on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 21:30

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus