Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

WANTED: Have: Silver Mound Artemisia

melvalena
17 years ago

I'm getting ready to cut mine back. I'll have enough cuttings to supply a nursery!

Let me know if you want some. They'll be rooted and potted in cups by the North Texas Garden Fairy Plant Swap. (some time this spring.. I'm not sure exactly)

Here is a link that might be useful: The lowdown on Silver Mound Artemisia:

Comments (7)

• daylily79
    17 years ago

Sooo I have this here - how deep and hard are you cutting yours? Do you have a pic?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Last year I cut that first plant all the way down to where the first branches started. I mean all the way down to just a nub.
    I used some of the cuttings to line the rest of that bed. I rooted them in water then transplanted them into cups and then later into the ground. I passed on all the rest of 'em at the spring swap.

That front plant looked like all those others behind it do now, all scraggily and split open. But now its full and twice the size. It is full and shaped well. I'm going cut all the rest of 'em back and down, hoping they'll fill back in like this first one did.

Here is what last years cuttings look like now, and also what that first one in the above picture looked like this time last year. During the summer they all looked a lot better than they do now. See the light green? Thats new growth, its going to fill in all that dead space before the cannas even break ground. I'll cut back everything except that new light green stuff.

During the summer there are huge red cannas behind the artimesia. It gets afternoon sun there.

• equinecpa
    17 years ago

I'm in Gainesville...tell me about this plant swap? I'm looking for some artemsia for my garden this year...

Carolyn

• melvalena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The date hasn't been nailed down yet. Info will be posted as soon as its all final.

Basically, its open to the public. Everyone brings plants, cuttings, tools, books what ever you have garden related and want to swap with. We also have a pot luck lunch.

Once things get nailed down, there'll be opportunities to pre arrange trades and/or make requests. See the threads about the upcoming San Antonio Swap to get an idea how it works.

Lots of us don't even make trades, we just give what we can not keep to someone who will give it a home.

We try to bring something native to leave for the Learning Center as well.

Its usually held it at the Lewisville Independent School District Outdoor Learning Center.
    (old 121 just before it meets up with the new 121-- between Lewisville and The Colony)

The host club is: North Texas Gardening Club
    (we used to call ourselves something like the Texas Garden Fairies)

Here is a link that might be useful: our yahoo email list

• equinecpa
    17 years ago

Thanks - I just joined the yahoo list. I'm hoping I can attend this event!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carolyn, I hope you will be able to attend.
    I'll prepare some artemisia for you even if you can't attend the swap. We'll figure out a way to get it to you.
    Do you have any idea how much you want/need?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

bump...
    Carolyn.... I've tried contacting you..but no response.

Do you still want some of this?

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz