melvalena

HAVE: 2013 Denton County Spring Swap

melvalena
11 years ago

Sunday April 21 3-5 PM

Indian Creek Clubhouse
1689 Bandera Drive
Carrollton 75010
Cross streets are Hebron Parkway and Hunt Drive.

You do not have to live in Denton County to participate.

There are tables and chairs inside. Restrooms & full kitchen as well. Eating happens inside the building. Swapping happens in the parking lot. We'll be outside a lot so you might want to wear hats and plenty of sunscreen.

Bring snacks to share and what ever you want to drink. We'll provide the paper goods, silverware and ice.

If you want to be in on the "door prize" drawing bring a garden related thing (not a plant) and put a gift tag on it with your own name. We'll use the gift tags to draw names.

Since there isn't any shade in the parking lot you should plant to bring something to cover your tender plants from the sun with. Either a pop up canopy, or a sheet strung between some chairs or a table with a sheet over it would work.

If this is your very first plant swap or you are a new gardener, you don't have to bring any plants. But are encouraged to bring items you can trade with. (Candy, pots,
soaps, lotions anything you are willing to trade for plants)

Please be sure to tell everyone that this is your first swap or that you are a newbie to gardening and you will see how nice everyone is and how they make you feel right at home.

The basics of a plant swap:

Bring plants divided from your garden beds, potted up and labeled.
Bring cuttings, labeled of course.
Plants are the stars, but get creative about what else you'd like to swap, such as garden art and sculpture, books, seed packets, extra tools, garden hats, cute pots. Bring your tips, too.

Each person will want to know what they are getting. By the time they get home many have forgotten what the name of the plant is, so please label each item.

Some people note any tips that might help the plant's new owner be successful enough to divide the plant again in a few years. Some traders/swappers print out care sheets for each plant to hand to the new owner. But if you have labeled properly, the new owner can find info about the plant easily on line.

A potted plant has roots. A cutting does not. A cutting stuck in a pot of dirt is not a potted plant. Please do not try to pass one off as such.

When swappers receive plants they always put them away from those they are trading away. You might want to bring a sheet or something to lay over the plants you plan to take home.
Please DO NOT take anything without asking.

It is good etiquette to ASK if it is OK to take a certain plant.
Sometimes swappers have done "pre-trades" on the internet with other gardeners and they are saving those plants to give to them. Pre Trades should be well marked and set aside but in the chaos of getting to the swap and setting up, some things just don't get done. Always ask.

There will be a designated area for free plants for the taking. These will be extra plants that swappers will bring to give away and no trade is expected.

When marking your plants, you can use permanent ink on Popsicle sticks, cut pieces of old blinds, plastic knives, forks or spoons and anything else you can be creative with! Printed labels are fine too.

What if it rains?
WE WILL BE THERE RAIN OR SHINE! We are die-hard gardeners and the swap will go down regardless!

What is a pre-trade? How do I pre-trade with other gardeners before the plant swap?

A pre-trade is a plant trade made with other gardeners online who are going to the scheduled plant swap. Gardeners are looking for certain plants to swap with other gardeners and agree ahead of time that they will bring those plants to the plant swap for each other.

Does the plant swap cost any money to attend?
ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY IS TO BE EXCHANGED FOR ANYTHING! We allow swapping or trading of plants or garden-related items only!

You can post trades here in this thread.

Let the swapping begin!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Denton County Gardening Meet Up Group

Comments (150)

• carrie751
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yep, Sunday................3 to 5. I will try to get another mock orange, Darlene.....................if I do, it is yours.

• freshair2townsquare
    10 years ago

Gail, I've still got that mailbox I promised you months ago. I'll bring it this weekend.

~ Amy

• remy101
    10 years ago

Thank you melvalena

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Amy, and you're welcome Remy101.

I look forward to seeing all my old friends and meeting the many new people!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Well, it won't be long, and I would like to remind you that if you want to participate in the "door prize" ,... Don't forget your "gift" !!

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Carrie/melvalena, Is there a suggested price range that the door prize gifts should be within?

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I usually try to keep mine withing th $10 range, Ruth.

• remy101
    10 years ago

This is first time going to plant swap. I am very excited

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Suggestions for all the new people:

Bring a few cardboard boxes to put your plants in.

Knowing the lay out of the place I suggest anyone bringing plants that need to be kept shaded also bring a card table, some chairs, large laundry basket or something to place over them, A large sheet thrown over that should shield them from the blazing sun but you'll need to anchor it so that the wind doesn't carry it off.

Bring your own drinks, and snacks to share if you'd like.

We do have access to the club house for those who may need or want to get indoors for a bit.

How our door prize works:
    anyone who wants to participate brings something garden or outdoor patio related.. but not a plant. You can put these in a gift bag or wrap them or not.. its up to you. It can be used or brand new. $ limit around $10.

Be sure to put a gift tag with YOUR OWN NAME on it on the item.

We place these on a table and when its time we'll pull off all the gift tags and use them to draw names. When your name is called you can pick from the table whichever item you'd like to have.

Dress comfortable for outdoors. You may want to bring or wear a hat. The parking lot is pretty sunny.

We're usually clean but not necessarily dressed up in our garden lady finest! :)

If I've forgotten anything, or anyone has other suggestions please post!

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

Thank you Carrie!

Darlene

• remy101
    10 years ago

Can anyone give me cuttings of different color of miniature roses,or I can trade shocing pink minature plant for miniature plant.
    Thank you

• remy101
    10 years ago

Melvalena do you still have Curry Tree: Murraya koenigii . I am very intersted in that plant . I can trade for lotions or candles.
    Thank you

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, Remy that tree went to a new home at least a year ago.

• remy101
    10 years ago

Melvalena Where did you get that one? Is it possible u can find cuttings or seed?
    Thank you

• remy101
    10 years ago

Ruthz
    I am very interested in these plants

Hot
    Leutschauer Paprika

Sweet
    Marconi Golden -
    Marconi Purple -

Ornamental
    Black Pearl -
    Orange Peter Pepper
    Red Peter Pepper

I can offer u pulla pepper plant also i can offer u other items from my photo bucket link check it out I have decorative clay mini pots too

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

ruth z - large 3 ft wide by 1/2 foot deep container
    several 4" with trays

carrie Large 3 ft wide by 1/2 foot deep container
    several 4" with trays

abarbie lots of pots

dcarpenter - cast iron these are bare root in water - take
    as many as you want bring bucket or large
    zip locks.

melvena - cast iron same as above!

I will bring as many other pots as I can fit into my jeep.

I have
    4 loquat seedlings
    2 viburnum seedlings
    1 flat asian jasmine
    5 4" frog fruit....cute in containers on patio. do not let touch the ground..lol

• remy101
    10 years ago

Abarbie4me can u bring green rose cuttings too 4 me?

• remy101
    10 years ago

Mistigarden do you have some extra pots for me .
    Thank you

• remy101
    10 years ago

I have 5 sweet mint,1 small lime plant,2pulla pepper plant,2 big ivy plant I bought for $10 each from walgreensi huge now ,yellow and purple pansies plants, lots of new lotions,glade candles,nail polishes ofcourse items are brand new
    Thank you

• weldontx
    10 years ago

I will not make it to the swap this year. I just got back from a trip that the kids took me on and need to be in McKinney to help out with the 2 yr old twins the next week end. I do have potted and ready for a swap: thyme (4); upright oregano (2) regular oregano (2); creeping phlox (2) an ornamental pepper (seed pods turn green, orange, purple), Kale -blue curly Scotch (2) from Baker Creek; year old daylily seedlings (6); small trees (twigs) that I got through the arbor society. I only want a tomato that will be really good for drying or paste,and maybe something native.
    If anyone wants to meet me in McKinney on Fri. 26 or Sat. 27, they can contact me by e-mail or phone -- 817 253 - 0530. I will be there Fri. 26 and Sat. 27.

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

I am not going to really be picky for trades.

I am looking for some things as simple as garden sage, thymes, yellow tomato, bronze fennel. I do love unusual vines.

ruth the Conf Rose cutting, brugs, Japanese MG or White Pea Vine seeds.

carrie do you still have blue pea vine seeds? also pothos or anything. if you find another mock orange that would be great.

abarbie bush morning glory please

dcarpenter hollyhocks or suprise me!

melvena - brugs or suprise me!

I will have enough containers for all. I am sure I can find something you brought to trade for!

See ya'll there. I still have today and tomorrow to scour flowerbeds at work..teehee

carrie was it you that wants katie ruellia? I can get it next week. about how many are you wanting? the ones I can get are purple.

remy...was it you that had the peppers? sounds good.

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

remy yes will bring some for you. Interested in lime plant!

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

still have maybe 40-50 5/7/10 gallon pots perfect for all veggies! No digging holes in garden! can be moved to control sun and just put away after growing season.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Remy,
    I got that curry tree from a lady who posted on the forum a few years ago. She was moving out of state and couldn't take any of her plants with her. I wanted her turks caps.
    They were all in pots on her apartment patio. She was so concerned about getting her plants to a good home. I told her I'd take them all so she'd have one less thing to stress out over. She and her husband helped carry them all down to my car.

She only had the one curry tree which I knew nothing about at the time. I have no idea where she got it from or where someone would find one to purchase or take cuttings from.
    After a year or so trying to take good care of it, and since it wouldn't be in ground hardy here I decided to pass it on to someone who would be willing to drag it in and out during the plant shuffle dance.

I can't even remember who took it off my hands.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Misti.............I have looked and looked for the blue shell pea vine seed (my niece wanted some), and have been unable to locate them. I will keep looking and bring them if I find them. If I don't, I usually have "volunteers" that come up each year and you would be welcome to come get one of those.

This is my list:

Debbie.......Katie Ruellia, Henry Duelberg salvia, Mexican feather grass, wooly stemodia for several purple phlox.

weenerdog....Turk's cap, fall aster for rosemary

abarbieforme....Copper Canyon daisy, mock orange for bush morning glory, purple clematis

dcarpenter...large leaf pothos cutting, butterfly bush cutting, Copper Canyon daisy, Henry Duelberg salvia, mock orange for blue skullcap, hollyhocks

misti.....mock orange (blue shell pea vine seeds) for pots

This is what I am showing, if I have forgotten anyone, please let me know.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Misti and Carrie...
    I found my bag of blue pea shell / blue shell pea vine seeds. These were harvested late last fall/early winter.

I'll bring them to the swap.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Thanks, Gail.....................I know I still have some.......SOMEWHERE............but they would not be last year's as I did not harvest any last year. I am certain I will find them "after the fact" !!!!!

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

CORRECTION Large 3 ft pots are much deeper than 1/2
    silly me. they are almost 2 ft deep!

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

Thanks melvalena

• remy101
    10 years ago

Mistigarden lime plant is yours
    Thank you melnalena for letting me know

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Everybody ready??? Just one more day 'til the swap !!!

• nana_7b
    10 years ago

I have the following

5 Celeste fig plants
    1 large Celeste fig plant
    1 Unknown fig - bronze colored fruit
    2 Violette De Bordeaux fig rooted cuttings
    2 Hardy Chicago fig rooted cuttings
    2 Mission fig rooted cuttings

2 Tropical guava plants

4 small bay leaf plants
    1 small curry leaf plant(needs a little special care!)

4 small blue mist flower plants

1 Chinquapin oak seedling

I am looking for nursery pots in the following general sizes;
    1 gallon size
    5 gallon and larger sizes.

The rooted cutting fig plants need special care. They are sensitive to over watering at this stage. They need to be brought in the garage during the first couple of winters. The mission may need to brought in every year.

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

Nana I have tons of 1 and 5 gallon pots.
    I am interested in bay leaf, guava,blue mist and a fig for our zone that is tasty. I've only ever tried turkey fig I believe.
    Let me know how many pots you want.

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

thanks remy!

yes carrie, I am excited.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Nana, welcome............so nice to see you are coming to the swap. I would like to try one of the Celeste and one of the Violette de Bordeaux figs if there is anything I have you would like to swap.

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

Was getting ready for bed and thought heck, I might as well post. Anyone need a kitten or two? I have six, no trade required! lol

• nana_7b
    10 years ago

Misti, I have you down for a bay leaf, guava, blue mist and 4 types of figs. Celeste does well here and produce sweet figs. It is cold tolerant once established. The other 3 are better tasting in my opinion but perhaps not as cold hardy. You will have to bring them in the garage for a couple of years but it is worth the effort. After that you can plant them in ground . The mission fig may have to be brought in every year. I have had those 3 types only for a couple of years while my Celeste mother tree has been in ground for about 10 yrs and now and produce close to 50lb in fruit each year.

I can use about 10-20 1 gal pots and about 5 assorted sizes 5 gal and greater. Thank you!

Carrie, thank you! I have you down for a Celeste and a Violette De Bordeaux. Celeste fruit is amber colored while VDB is black in color with a reddish interior.

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

nana- thanks! I will bring them all! and thank YOU!

• remy101
    10 years ago

Nana
    I am very interested in curry plant .

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

remy, I was hoping you'd see the curry plant!

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

carrie or melvalena - saw older post re: verbena bonariensis. I had them at my old house and I sure miss them. I know, I know I will be giving them away forever, but if either of you have a few I would like to start them again.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Melldanyell, haven't seen your post of requests ............what would you like from my list? I am not bringing extra plants this year ........digging by request only.

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

Melldanyell, I have one small yard long bean. I am assuming you like veggies. I may also have a very tiny purple tomatillio. Not sure what your want list is!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Misti, I have a very large verbena on a stick that needs a good home, but I cannot dig it. Would you be willing to come over and dig it??

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Misti, I have tons of seedling verbena bonariensis.

I'll go pot up a few for you, but don't pass up an opportunity to go visit Carrie's place!

anyone else want some while I'm at it?

Here is a link that might be useful: images

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Ha, Gail, don't you dare take away my opportunity to move this one........LOL> I haven't noticed any small ones, but then I haven't gotten around to cleaning that bed as yet.

• nana_7b
    10 years ago

Remy, I have you down for the curry plant(needs some TLC) , fig plants and bay.

I would like pepper and sweet mint if you have any left.

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

YEAH remy gets a curry plant!
    melvalena - thanks
    carrie - I will still come dig it up. Maybe Sunday after swap?

I will message you if I can get there today...maybe I can help.

• freshair2townsquare
    10 years ago

Gail `~
    Can I get some Brazilian verbena next week?
    ~ Amy

• mistigardens
    10 years ago

remy - what varitety of okra? I have clemson spineless, maybe we could trade if yours are different?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner