Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: San Antonio Spring Plant swap April 5th

Posted by honeybunny2 Z9TX (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 15:15

Its probably too early to start this topic, but I wanted to post in case someone already has plants they want to trade.. The plant swap will be Saturday April 5th.
I will be planting Japanese Morning Glory seeds I bought from ebay as soon as it warms up. Right now I do not know what colors or how many I will have to trade. I will probably post in March letting everyone know what I have to trade.

Good luck planting seeds, and rooting cuttings. This will give us something to do, while waiting for spring.. Barbra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: San Antonio Spring Plant swap April 5th

Thank you Barbra for taking the responsibility of hosting this event, picking and posting the date and for securing the park for us.

TIME: 9:00 to noonish. Sometimes we're done by 11:00.

LOCATION: Rogiers Park, 209 Pleasant Dr., Balcones Heights, Texas

(Balcones Heights is in San Antonio)

Rogiers Park is a very few blocks south of Crossroads Mall and is close to IH 10 and 410 so is easily accessable.

For new people that are not sure how a plant swap works the following will explain. I'm not sure who originally compiled the paragraphs below because we've been copying it back and forth for years.

The main theme for the SAPS is to enjoy the company of other gardeners, keep things loose, & have fun.

We all bring our extra plants, favorite seeds, plus any garden related "stuff" like garden magazines, garden decor, baskets, buckets, pots, manure, fertilizer, etc.

Many trades are made at the swap, but pre-trades are good too, since you know you'll be getting something you want, & you know your stuff is getting a new home.

You can swap anything for anything, no "rules" about seed-for-seed, plant-for-plant, etc; as long as the gardeners agree, there you go. You can even bring plants you've bought inexpensively from Lowes discount tables.

You can swap a Ferrari for a package of tomato seeds if you want (or a cow for a package of magic beans ;-)!

Just post what you have & what you want, & people can reply with offers. Once both gardeners agree they're in business!

Label your plants. Cut up pieces of old venetian blinds are good for this. Also it's nice to put your name on the plants you are trading in case there is a question, or so we can remember you by the plant you traded.

Very important: do not remove plants or other items from tables or from under tables. Plants and things no longer up for trade are placed beneath the tables and are off limits.

It's handy to put your pre-trades for each person in a box with that person's name on it & jot down on the label or box what you are to get from that person.

There are three or four tables long picnic tables at the site, but if you have room in your vehicle, it's good to bring a card table, cart or little red wagon.

Loose comfy clothing, comfy shoes, a hat, maybe a sweater, water, hand lotion or sun block, newspapers for packing, Sharpies, notebook, camera, labels, etc are all good things to have on hand "just in case".

Even if you don't have many plants or garden material for trading yet you can trade fruit, home canned products, cookies & brownies. They go over very well. We don't worry about even-steven trades.

Many of us have been doing this for several years, & we *always* have tons of plants that we'll trade for a token or even "free to good home".

Even if you've only decided to start a garden on Friday night, by Saturday afternoon, you can start working on your garden!

We also bring fun stuff for door prize drawings. You can bring anything garden related like used or new books, pots, decorative items, tools, gloves, etc. for the drawing. We like to have lots of things so everybody gets something.

For first timers here are photos of Rogiers Park:

photo RogiersParkViewStreetside9067.jpg

photo RogiersPark9071.jpg

photo RogiersParkTables9073.jpg

See you there!

This post was edited by roselee on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 12:12

o
RE: HAVE: San Antonio Spring Plant swap April 5th

I will add to this list as other things are found to bring and subtract when plants are spoken for.

Here is what I'm planning on bringing to trade so far:

1.Mexican honey suckle (Justicia spicigera); several large root clumps. See photos on link at bottom.

2. (No longer available) Pink turk's cap; Tall variety, root hardy, from Malcolm Beck's garden. I've never seen this variety anywhere else

3. Pretoria canna, several pieces of root ...
 photo EPretoriaCanna6933.jpg

4. Lavender boneset (Eupatorium odoratum); 1 large root clump ...
 photo bsulfer4585.jpg
 photo brebecca4514.jpg

5. (No longer available) Blue lyme grass, (Elymus ovenarins)

6. (No longer available) Red buttons fountain grass (Penisetum chino Red Buttons)

7.(No longer available): Desert willow 'Bubba' 7 ft tall

8. Manfreda Macho mocha, several pups. See photos here: http://www.penick.net/digging/?p=2259

9 Variegated Century Plant, several pups

10, (No longer available) Large clump of Lirope, can be divided into many plants

Hopefully someone will bring a wagon or I may be trading out of the back of my car so I won't have to carry heavy pots.

I'd like to trade for hardy xeriscape plants that I don't have such as agaves, yuccas, succulents, other type plants for dry conditions ... or I can be tempted :-).

Whatever is left after trading I'm always happy to give away. Let me know what you might be interested so I will be sure and bring it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican honeysuckle featured on the blog: Digging

This post was edited by roselee on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 21:09

o

Roselee, I'd love to trade for the pink turk's cap. I've tried growing them twice and each time they freeze in the winter and don't come back. Would also like to try the Blue lyme grass. I have a dalea lutea that is very drought tolerant and can also swap a blue skull cap (will have to look up the botanical name). Pam Pennick has posted pictures of it in her garden.

o

Lorelei, I'm so glad I have something you'd like to have. I already "owe you" for the three Brakelight bulbils you mailed to me.

The largest of the two pink 'turks cap' is yours and also blue lyme grass. I'd love to try Dalea lutea.

o

I'm starting to pot up a few things. Haven't started seeds yet. This winter was hard on me, so the plants were often just left out there on their own. Sheila told me she had committed to something else for that date, without remembering the swap, so she'll unfortunately have to sit this one out. I'll check back in later on!

o
Haves

***UPDATED***

I'm getting ready for a week long trip out of state and won't have time to do much as far as propagation before the later half of next month, but I do have a freezer full of seeds from which to choose that I can get started before I leave next weekend. I should also have some good size sedum starts, some rooted olive tree cuttings and some unknown plumeria branches to share. (When we dug them up it was with freezing temps breathing down our necks and I failed to label them.)

If you would like some seeds started (or just the seeds), let me know soon and I'll start them when the moon turns new. Otherwise, I'll start them when I get back after the 17th.

After having my memory prodded by Patty (thank you!) I realized I also have in 4" containers some blackberry lilies (Belamcanda chinensis), Hawaiian wedding vines (Stephanotis floribunda) & Carex 'Frosted Curls' started from seed last year and some 3yr old OP amaryllis.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Seeds Stash

This post was edited by dstartz on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 18:55

o

Donna, would love some of your unknown plumerias but not sure what I might have that you'd want.

o
Lorelei

Do you have a 'Have' list up?

o

Just to let you know the Japanese morning glory seeds are popping up. I planted them in styrofoam cups. Barbra

o

Here are some pictures of the sedums I have enough of to share...

Please excuse the winter mess. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

SWAPS

Lorelei8b
<- Plumeria cuttings
->Ruby crystal grass, blue heart leaf skullcap (scutelleria ovata) and lacy cactus

Patty
<- #1, 2, 3 (center & bottom L), 5 (bottom L) & 7 (curly)
-> LOTS of containers

roselee
<- white/gray frilly succulent
-> Manfreda 'Macho Mocha'

NBTonya
<- Plumeria, Carex 'frosted curls'
->

Tally
-> Blackberry lilies (Belamcanda chinensis), Hawaiian wedding vines (Stephanotis floribunda)
<- Brug cuttings

marcie_new
<- Plumeria cuttings
->

This post was edited by dstartz on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 12:54

o

I have some Agave weberi pups that ill pot up and bring to the swap. These can become monsters if put in the ground but in a pot they might dwarf a bit. Plus only have one sharp spine at the tips so easy to prune off. As usual, cactus soil too.

o

Linda, tell Sheila that she is not allowed to miss the swap ... ;-) I can't remember a time when she was not there. It won't be the same without her.

Donna, I'm so glad to know you're planning to come! I'd like a start of the white/gray frilly succulent that's pictured next to last. What can I bring for you? Perhaps there is something that I've mentioned before that I can dig.

Joey, also happy to hear you're planning to come. You're offering one of my very favorite agaves. It does stay smaller in a pot. That's how I grow it.

This post was edited by roselee on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 13:29

o

Hello all! I plan to see all of you there! Just off the top of my head, here are some things I can bring:

stevia
brazilian rock rose
probably tomato seedlings, if they continue to do as well as they are right now.

I know there are others I can add later today when I look in my green house. I rooted many things last fall in anticipation for our move to Blanco.

Here are my desires so far ;-) if I may. I totally understand if you want to wait until I put more on my list before you reply!

Lorelei:
clerodendrum bungeii, confirmed
blue heart leaf skullcap (scutelleria ovata) confirmed

Ragna:
Pretoria canna confirmed
pink turkscap confirmed

Donna:
Plumeria confirmed
carex 'frosted curls" confirmed

Tally:
Brugs

Bluegirl
ox-eye daisies confirmed
fleabane daisies confirmed
Texas storksbill confirmed

Patty:
Lafter rose confirmed
Canary Islands rose confirmed
golden raintree confirmed

Joey:
Cactus soil confirmed

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Plants I have to offer, updated 3/23/14:
Still have Brazillian Rock Rose (several)
Stevia - (several) (one to Pat V)

Heritage rose rooted cuttings (2)
St Jude the Obscure rose 1 barely rooted cutting (gone to Patty)
loquat (1)
salvia roemeriana, cedar sage (several)
duranta (2) ( I am not sure if this is solid purple blooms or purple with white edges)

tomato seedlings (1 pot of each, some pots have 2 or 3 plants)
Morado
Chuck's
Orange Russian
Violet Jasper
Brandywine Sudduth's
Orange Minsk
Mexico (gone to Patty)
Cherokee Purple
Cowlick's Brandywine
Linda's Faux
Cherokee Chocolate
Canadian Heart
Lilian's Yellow
Tom Atkinson

This post was edited by nbtonya on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 10:25

o

Tonya, I have you down for the heartleaf skullcap and the clerodendron bungeii.

Donna, have you down for the same + the lace cactus.

I also have mexican feather grass should anyone want some.

o

dstartz I would love some cuttings of your Plumerias pretty please? I will look around and see what I can offer you in return. This Year I want to be able to attend and as of today it looks good other yrs I have tried to attend but due to husbands health I have not been able to. Thanks Marcie

o

Roselee, I would like to have:
Blue lyme grass, (Elymus ovenarins)
Red buttons fountain grass (Penisetum chino Red Buttons)
I`m not sure what all I will be bringing but cactus, succulents and agaves for sure. Something you don`t have and drought tolerant, I will surpirise you.

Donna, I would like:
blackberry lilies (Belamcanda chinensis), Hawaiian wedding vines (Stephanotis floribunda)
I will get out in the garden once it warms up again and make a list

there are brugs, tons and tons of brugs, assorted colors if anyone wants some let me know. In the middle of an ice storm I cut them back so no way to tell you what color until they bloom.
Crinums as usual
Cactus/succulents/agaves
night blooming cereus
bromeliads
canna-yellow and orange spotted, I`ll post a picture
red salvia
the list will grow as I figure out what exactly is rooting on the side of the house, what survived winter and what needs to be divided.
Garden junk for Patty, I have something in mind already.
Tally Ho!

o
Plumeria Cuttings

For those getting Plumeria cuttings from me, each bunch will include branches from each of my trees that have them to spare. From what I can tell that count will be around 8 (+/-), including one from what I believe is a dwarf 'Singapore'. It is VERY compact.

o

Bumping up to be sure folks will find it.

Items numbered 9 and 10 have been added to my list. More to come ...

o

Tally, I would love some of your brugs. I will also be bringing some inland sea oats, primrose jasmine and Henry Duelberg salvia, I can pot up some wild onions and little bluestem grass if anyone is interested.

o

I'd like edibles, please.

I do have loquat saplings, green bean and purple bean seedlings, rapid lettuce seedlings
red roses, blue plumbago bushes
sm pink cluster rose,
chick n hens, red-leafed succlent (see pic)
other succulents
Self watering spikes (2) with bottle, blue agave, yucca, 1 plastic watering can, 3 hanging baskets (wire and green plastic)
( I just potted an elephant ear and some pink Mexican petunias. Is anyone interested?)

I have some lovely yellow water irises growing in my pond. Plus, lots of that fern like water plant (ceratophyllum dimersum) if anybody would like some. Also, have lots of fresh fennel and parsley if anyone would like me to bag some (these are cuttings for you to use in your cooking or green smoothies when you get home; not to plant.) It is growing like crazy.

This post was edited by leapingfroglady on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 9:41

o

nbtonya, I would like some stevia, please. Please check my list to see what you would like to trade.

o

Hi, I've potted up:
Ox eye daisies
fleabane daisy
4 nerve daisy
water clover
gregg's dalea
heartleaf skullcap (don't know if it's blue, it is ovata, though)
southernwood
copper canyon daisy
Vick's plant

Lots more available--frog fruit, mealy sage, spearmint, choc mint, mexican hat

Barbara, do you have cuttings of Flores Street house-eater available? I got 3 rooted well, lost 2 in the dang cold weather.

Tally, can you spare some lizard tail?

Anyone have pink/peach brug cuttings?

Hope to see y'all.

o

"Leaping Frog Lady" Pat, would you like some green Malibar spinach seeds? If you're not familiar with the plant it's a vine that grows well in the heat and tastes somewhat like spinach. Keeps me supplied with greens to eat all summer.

By the way, I put some photos and links on my list above.

o

Hello Everyone ! Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Here's my list below. I'm not really looking for anything, although it's so easy to be tempted. I have a lot of plants in the greenhouse so really don't want much to take home. I'm always interested in junk, so let me know what you have. If you're not sure what kind of junk I like, here's a link to my pinterest page showing some of the many things I like.

http://www.pinterest.com/castro_gardener/gardens-and-garden-junk/

http://www.pinterest.com/castro_gardener/i-love-stuff/

I don't necessarily need something in return, so let me know if I have anything that you would like.

What I have:

antique roses Little Buckaroo, Martha Gonzales, Lafter, and maybe a Knockout rose

also Canary islanders rose from Ragna -- what was the real name, Ragna ?

Agaves
aloes
burro's tail
unknown evergreen (tree?)
sanseverias
clitoria vine
unknown crinums
cissus quadrangularis
Queen's tears bilbergia
jade
old man's pipe / callisia fragrans
vick's plant plectranthus
coresopsis
sedums
pregnant onion
pink rain lily/ white rain lily
golden rain tree
rhipsalis
spider plant, solid/variegated/or reverse variegated
artillery fern
stapelia or huernia
donkey ears
dykia
new guinea impatiens
large thryais
salvia coccinea (red,white,dreamsicle)

can dig Salvia Black & blue and Henry Duelberg

patty

This post was edited by castro_gardener on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 14:43

o

leapingfroglady, gotcha down for some stevia.

Here are a few more requests:

joey: cactus soil

Patty: Lafter rose, golden rain tree, and maybe canary islands rose (what color is it?)

Tally: brugs

Bluegirl: Ox eye daisies, fleabane daisies

I will be adding to my list later this week!

Tonya

o
RE: Canary Island Rose ...

Canary Island rose was found in San Antonio. Tradition has it that it was brought here from the Canary Islands.

It's thought to be a Gallica x China cross; once bloomer, mauve, VERY double, VERY fragrant, foliage TOTALLY healthy, drought tolerant, very easy to grow.

o

forget to ask.... does anyone else need pots? I have a lot that need to go. great to start cuttings in or hold until you pick the right spot to plant. Or use like I have -- start new plants for next swap!

patty

o

Patty, I have several pieces of garden "junk". Several resin statuettes but do you mind if they've been repaired? A couple of metal pieces. I'd like some crinums and salvia black & blue, dyckia. I can send you pictures of what I have to see if you'd be interested. I'm the one that met you at Hobby Lobby once before.

Roselee--I'd like to see that manfreda if it hasn't been spoken for.

o

Tonya, got you down for ox-eyes & fleabane

Patty--I'd love Canary Island, Little buckeroo, Lafter, Flores Street,.. or cuttings if they're spoken for. I'll have lots of feabane & 4 nerve daisy. Hoping to get copper canyon daisy. Let me know about any roses you are interested in.

o

Tonya I have you down for some cactus soil. Roselee is there anyways you still have some of the Macho Mocha manfreda? If not I'd love some variegated agave.

o

Blue, I am not sure about the lizards tail but I`ll go dig some from the west end if mine didn`t survive. It`s back with the turtles and I have not done a thing with that pond yet this year. Do you need any parrots feather?

Ya`ll know my rules for trading, if you touch it it is YOURS!! and if you turn your back I will stick plants under your table.

Off next week and will be planting, digging, dividing stuff like the mad woman I am.

Everyone that wants brugs I have plenty, so many I stuck them in the yard to root as I got sick of potting them up. I have some named ones I got in a trade last year which are doing great and I`ll bring some of those too.

See ya`ll soon.
Tally HO!

o

Thanks Tally! I do have plenty of parrot's feather. So whaddoyouwant? You know the rules...

Do you want any hornwort or watercress? Need some more water clover? Frogfruit?

Anyone have Anacharis (Elodea)?

I have 3 rooted rose geraniums--can probably take more cuttings.

o

Anyone want Texas storksbill? It grows like crazy here. Very attractive now--dies back in the heat.

o

bluegirl,

I would love to try some Texas storksbill!

Tonya

o

Gotcha!

o

Rosalee,
Not sure if you got my email. I totally don't understand this place. I wanted to let you know that I would love the malibar spinach. Thanks

o

Hi Pat! LOVE your graphics. That's you, right? :-) LOL

I've got you down for Malabar spinach seeds, and everyone else's requests have been noted also.

Is anybody bringing a wagon?

o

Pat,

Do you know what kind of rose is your red rose? I might be interested in one of those.

Tonya

o

Tally, do you recall what the old white rose is you gave me last year? It's doing fine, just wondered if you recalled the name.

I dug up some pyrethrum & mealy sage. Have lots of mint (guess most folks, do ;p, but if anyone needs some--spearmint, orangemint.
Also can take some Persian shield cuttings.

Does anyone have oxalis? I know, I know, it's an invasive pest, sometimes--but I want some if anyone has it to spare--the plain old pink stuff.

o

I`ll ask the guy I got it from, I can not for the life of me remember. Just that it`s white.

I will take mint, I kill it. Don`t ask me how, it`s one of the few things I am very successful at killing. I`m getting better and actually have some alive and starting to grow.

Plenty of oxalis if I can get to it before Jim digs it and tosses it.
Tally HO!

o

Okay, lady--you want mint? Boy, you're gonna get it, lol! I have tons of spearmint & orange (eau de cologne) & chocolate (doesn't really smell like chocolate) & some good young starts of others.

o
RE: Orange Mint wanted

@ bluegirl, I would like some orange mint if you have extra. Please see my list of items for a trade.

o
RE: Rare Oxalis Wanted

Does anyone have the green leaf on top and purple under it oxalis?

o
DstartzRE: WANTED: San Antonio Spring Plant swap April 5th

Hi I would love to be one of the recipients for plumeria cuutings and the hawaian vine pretty please? I will try my best to attend as of right now everything lookgs good I am not able to plan on going as I would like to it all depends on how my husband is feeling at the time, if he is just alittle under the wheater I can attend for the inlaws will keep an eye on him if he is ok then I will be on my way to S.A!!! God willing his sick days or episode are over will come back and post what I have for trading for the freezez killed quite a few of my plants Thanks Marcie

o
To Pat Leaping Frog Lady

Pat, I couldn't find your email address, so I hope you read this. I have 15 coffee cans for you. Do you need the lids, too ? Not sure if they all have lids. Email me directly so I have your email again. soriano471@sbcglobal.net

patty

o

Leapingfroglady--will bring you a clump of orangemint. That pictured hen & chicks looks pretty if you can spare a sprig--whatever!

o

I have updated my "haves" list above. Go have another look!

o

bump

o

Bluegirl, I will bring plenty of flores street rose cuttings for everyone. Jerry Parsons came over and took cuttings from it in December, it still had a blooms on it, so he could see .I will also bring some japanese morning glory that I started from seed. Barbra

o

Yay! I am glad you have plenty of those Barbra! I thought for sure I had some root from the last batch, but no go! I will not give up!!

Bluegirl, I would love some persian shield cuttings...!

Does anyone have any prostrate rosemary either rooted or cuttings? Would love to have some of that.

o

Thank you Barbara! I think I have a plant coming from Patty, but if not, would love cuttings. It rooted very well last fall--I just underestimated how brutal the winter would be this year & lost the babies.

Nbtonya, will bring Persian shield cuttings. Too late to get them rooted but you shouldn't have any problem--they always root for me.

o

I'll be bringing some garden gloves and books for the drawing including Peter Beale's tome "Classic Roses",

Anybody got a wagon to bring? If not Plantmaven Kathy said I could come over and get hers to use for the swap.

See y'all soon!

o

Sorry Ragna, I don't have a wagon or I sure would bring it for you.

o

I have a wonderful garden wagon that Patty gave me, but it's a little heavy to get in and out of the car and takes up a lot of room. I was hoping someone had one of those little lightweight red wagons.

o

I have this type, not a regular wagon. I think Shirley has the same one.

o

That is a cool wagon! Sure wish you could come Kathy!

o

It sure makes getting the groceries inside easier. Wish I could.

o

Every cutting Gary planted from the Flores Street Eater took. I only took cuttings from the very tip of the plant, abouot 6 to 8 inches long. put them in a papertowel that was soaked in water, then stored in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator. This is what the lady from Dallas told me to do for her. She was to pick them up the next day, she drove down, but do to an emergency had to go back to Dallas, and never got the cuttings. I mailed out cuttings, but did not know the correct way to mail them and they died. I wanted to just throw the left over cuttings away, but my husband just put them in the soil that was in pots with other plants on our back porch, and they all took. It was amazing how quick they rooted. I don't remember what time of the year it was. Barbra

o

Wow Barbra! You don't happen to have any of those rooted cuttings available for trade do you (wink, wink). Well that is good to know that he was successful, maybe I need to chill my cuttings first!

o

Roselee--I have a small wagon I can bring (it's a modified little red wagon). What time are you planning on getting there?

o
Want plants ?

Doesn't anyone want anything else from me ? I feel like I'm hardly bringing anything. Barbara ? Ragna ? Joey? Surely there's something I can bring you. Tally, I sent you an email about another plant you might like. Pat, are there any plants you might like ? I don't absolutely have to receive something in return, but I was hoping to thin out my plant population a little more. Please let me know if I have something you'd like to try. If you are already on my list, please choose something else to add! Thank you bunches!

patty

o

Looking for plants with colored leaves. Need more color in my garden but I know flowers only last a short time. Therefore something with color would be nice. I don't have any rock rose and would love some again. Succulents are always welcomed. Don't need aloes since I do have a few already. Does anyone have purple cactus. I have some but it is growing very slowly and has only two pads. I wanted some for a friend as a gift for her.

My favorite colors are purple, red and orange. Can't wait to see you all on Sat. :)

Patty-I have a garden art piece for you. You have the coffee containers for me.
Bluegirl- You have some orangemint for me. If you have other mints I will take some, too. I thought I had some to find out it was a salvia. I have some of the red chick and hen for you.
Honeybunny2: I'll take some rose cuttings, please. See my list if you want anything.

o

Lorelei, WONDERFUL!!! Even though I don't have that much to carry in, that will sure save us all some steps. I plan to be there before starting time of 9:00 in case there is something to help Barbra with, but I don't have to unload then.

Patty, there might be a couple of things I 'need' that I just can't think of right now ... :-)

o

Pat, I'll bring some purple Santa Rita cactus pads for your friend.

As for colored leaves, do you have chocolate plant? Only thing is I haven't seen any coming up yet. But I'll search around if you don't have it. Same goes for Hopi red amaranth.

o

Tonya, I have no rooted plants. I keep thinking that I need to root them, but since I watch my grand daughter 5 days a week, I don't have time to work in the garden. They are very easy to root, my husband proved that, and he has a purple thumb.
Barbra

o

I just wanted to say hi and I will be missing the swap this time around. I will miss seeing you all. My gardening habit is on the back burner due to the lack of water in my rain barrels.

o

Rosalee,
No I don' have the chocolate plant. Would love some if you find any. thanks

o

Dang, sorry you'll miss it, Wantonamara--maybe come for the company?--I hear it's EXcellent ;-p. Okay, maybe for the cookies?

Leapingfroglady--I have big beds of spearmint & choc. mint--will be happy to get you plenty of those.

Tonya--I'll be happy to root up some Flores Street for you.

Anyone want pots? I have scores of little 2"--gallon size. think I'll sack some up & throw them in folk's piles if they refuse to take them.

Roselee, I plan to bring a red wagon, IF I can fit it in the car. Really don't know if I'll be able to, so I haven't promised (big IF there) but I will try.

o

Rosalee, I think you had some malibar spinach for me, right? My mom loves that.

o

Thanks bluegirl for the offer to root the Flores St.! I will try again and keep you as a backup plan if that is ok.

o

Anyone want some purple heart tradescantia ? or The Fairy climber rose ?

patty

o

Anybody else want cactus pads? I've got several different kinds.

Bluegirl, thanks for 'maybe' another wagon, but if you can't get it in that's okay too. Plants are more important ... :-)

Pat, purple heart is a great plant for leaf color. Just keep it in a big pot, not in the ground. Malabar spinach seeds will be there for you and your Mom.

Mara, we're really going to miss you! Hope you can make it in the fall.

This post was edited by roselee on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 0:13

o

Patty, bring your extra plants! I will take anything leftover as we are having a plant sale for our community garden next month.
I`ll try and drag Kathy to the swap, if all goes as planned we will be there Friday afternoon to dig up her yard and plant grass.
Roselee if the bougs fit bring them, otherwise we`ll come get them.
I need to find a hotel and a rental car today lol!
Tally HO!

o

Tally, will try to get them in my vehicle and if they fit will let you know in time.

I can bring some wire plant stands to give away. These are just the simple ones that sell new for about $6 or $7. Anybody interested?

o
Anybody want these?

Is no one interestest in the Lavender boneset (Eupatorium odoratum) or the Mexican honeysuckle? If not I won't bring them because they are in big pots and heavy; unless Tally might want them for their community garden plant sale.

o

Roselee--I'll take anything you've got.

o

Okay Lorelei, you get 'um ... :-)

o

Hello everyone, I hope it’s not too late to join. Here’s my list.

Have:
Rose of Sharon plant well rooted
Chrysanthemum plant ��" White
Mme Antoine Carriere (climbing bourbon) rose plant white ��" would like to exchange with an yellow rose plant if possible.
Mint
Okra seeds

Want:
Barbara: I have no luck rooting Flores Street house-eater. Would like to try again if you can share some cuttings.
Yellow rose plant/cuttings
Any edible seeds/seedlings - Zucchini, bell pepper or watermelon etc.
Grapefruit rooted cutting

-Anu.

o
More stuff to trade.

I have some lovely yellow water irises growing in my pond. Plus, lots of that fern like water plant (ceratophyllum dimersum) if anybody would like some. Also, have lots of fresh fennel and parsley if anyone would like me to bag some (these are cuttings for you to use in your cooking or green smoothies when you get home; not to plant.) It is growing like crazy.

This post was edited by leapingfroglady on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 9:34

o

Garden lover, I am interested in your white chrsanthumum (sp_error). See my list.

o

Whoa, Leapingfroglady, those iris are gorgeous--I'd love one.

I've dug you some mints. Do you have elodea (anacharis)? Keep losing mine.

Also have plenty of dragonshead--nice marginal with big spikes of bloom.

o

the air conditioner went out. It has to be replaced. We will not be up this weekend for the swap I am sorry to say.
we will be up in May to dig up Kathys garden and get grass planted and to play tourist. I am not at my desk so will give you the dates tomorrow.
This sucks but there is no way to go through summer without an air conditioner!!
Roselee, we`ll come see ya`ll and pick up the bougs at that time.
Ya`ll have fun without us, I know it will be hard. See everyone in the fall.
Tally HO!

o

"What a revoltin' developing this is" as the saying goes. Agreed it will be hard to have fun without y'all, or at least as much fun, but what is-is and I know you gotta' take care of business. We'll see you in the future if not in the pasture ... ;-)

o

Hey Everyone,

Sorry I am so late on this. But what I have right now are:

2 Green Stripped Zebra Tomato seedlings (potted)
3 VR Moscow Tomato seedlings (Potted)
2 Cherry Chocolate Tomato seedlings (potted)
4 Ichiban Eggplants (Potted)

More to come.

Wants if Possible:

DStartz: Olive Tree Cuttings

NBTonya: Orange Russian Cherokee Chocolate, Violet Jasper Tomato seedlings, & Loquat root cutting

leapingfroglady: Purple been Seedlings

Bluegirl: Chocolate Mint

Castro_Gardener: about how big is the Golden Rain Tree?
But I would like some Pots

I also have to offer:

4 Habanero Plants
4 Jalapeno Plants
4 Golden Bell Sweet Pepper plants
4 Aladdin Bell Pepper Plants

This post was edited by Ken145 on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 12:39

o

Ken and Anu, it's never too late. We're glad to know you're coming and happy to read your lists of plants.. We hope some others that haven't posted come too.

o

Ken--will get ya some chocolate mint. Should mention again: it doesn't really smell like chocolate. There is some sort of ephemeral suggestion of the scent, still, it's a nice mint.

Tally...wha?...oh noooooo!!!
Can I leave your stuff with someone else? If not, I'll be happy to bare-root it & mail at your convenience. I must have half a dozen mints started & several buckets full of the established ones.

o

@ Ken,
My purple bean seedlings don't look good for some reason. I have reg green beans if you like. unless you would like some seeds instead. I still may have some.

@bluegirl, I will bring you some of the yellow iris.

Looking for: Moses in a Basket

o

Patty if you bring me plants I will take them off your hands. I can always fit something somewhere.

o

leapingfroglady: Do you have anything from my wants list for chrysanthemum? or how about some garden soil that I can use? It's an 8" established plant. We had nice blooms last year. I had problems uploading the picture from this page, so sent you an email.

Ken: Would you like a mint plant for VR Moscow Tomato seedling?

Roselee: I would like to try malibar spinach seeds please, if you have some.

Anu.

o

Gardenlover1,

I will gladly take some mint.

Thanks

o

Patricia,

I will gladly take regular green beans. Sorry to hear that the purple ones aren't doing so well.

o

Patty? Wanna plant sit for a couple of weeks? Or Ragna? We have to run by her place while we`re there and pick up some boughs anyway.
And someone said we could come dig up rocks at their place, who was that?
Tally Ho!

o

Bluegirl, I'll take the plants you have for Tally since she'll be coming by my place in May.

o

Thank you, Roselee!
And thanks, Leapingfroglady!

Okay, getting a bit crazy, please check that I have your wants correct:

Tonya
*ox eye daisy
*Fleabane daisy
*TX storksbill
*Persian shield cuttings

Patty
*Pink Chiffon rose
* unknown white polyantha
*Fleabane daisy
*4 Nerve daisy
*Copper Canyon daisy
*? skullcap--we'll hope it's the purple
*Dragonhead

Tally
*Mints--hoo, boy, lots of mints :)

Leapingfroglady
*orangemint
*spearmint
*chocolate mint

Ken
*chocolate mint

Please let me know if I've left something out!

Also bringing:
*Southernwood rooted cuttings
*Feverfew
*Pyrethrum
*sack of jade cuttings
*heartleaf skullcap (S. ovata)
*Gregg's dalea
*extra ox-eye daisies
*extra 4-nerve
*extra fleabane
*sprigs of hardy sedums--angelina, dragonsblood, misc.

*whatever I think of/have room for/throw in to top off the car.
*li'l red wagon if I can fit it in.

o

Checking my list and checking it twice. If for some reason I forgot you please alert me.

Collecting the following:
Joan Reed Vick's plant, variegated vinca, and sweet potatoe slips
Wu-Kabaocha pumpkin
Lorelei-tomatoes and red hibiscus
Patty-15 Folgiers containers and Moses in a basket
Rgana-Malibar Spinach
Tonya-Stevia
Bluegirl - 3 mints

Taking to:
Arshia - Fresh picked fennel and parsley ( I still have more if anyone would like some)
Wu-Cardemon
Lorelei- Yellow Iris
Tonya-Pink Rose Bush
Patty-2 garden art pieces (hope you like them)
Ken- Purple green beans (2) and purple seeds.

I have All Purpose Miracle Gro Fertilizer, or Aphid and Whitefly Spray or Seven Dust 5.

I happened to drive by a house today and found this cactus on the ground. Bringing several pieces of it if anyone is interested.

This post was edited by leapingfroglady on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 20:47

o

Bluegirl
I would love a variety of your sedums; doesn't matter how small.

o

Sure thing. Most are just little things I got last month--I pinched a bit off each. Do have a good amount of Angelina, which is hardy.

(save me an iris, please :-)

o

Tally, I live up near Blanco on 61/2 acres, you're more than welcome to dig up rocks!

Pat, I can snip off some sedums for you as well.

o

leapingfroglady: I potted the plant from the ground to a pot of miracle gro garden soil for you yesterday evening.

o

Ken, I just saw your requests. I will put your name on all of those you asked for. May I have 1 or 2 each of your Golden and Aladdin Bell Peppers?

Pat, I will take the Miracle Gro off your hands, unless you want to save it for another trade. Was there anything else on my list you wanted?

o

Okay, I'm mostly packed up.

Roselee: got a red wagon in, plus a dinky dolly. Where did y'all get those neat fold-up wagons?

Clipped a bunch of Artemisia back--bringing some sacks of cuttings, sacks of 2" & 4" pots (dunno if anyone wants them).

o

nbtonya,

I've got you down for the Golden and Aladdin Bell Peppers.

o

I have a black crate with "Taken Plants" written on it. Look for your name and you will find your plants that I traded with you. Feel free to pick them up. I will be looking to collect what I traded by walking around. Thanks everyone!

Ragna, I don't think you asked me for something to trade. Did you want something from my list? You have the malibar for me.

Please if you want something please let me know by midnight. I will check my email in the morning before I head out. Van is packed and ready to go! Wahoo!

o

@ Gardenlover,
Did we trade for something? YIKES, I don't have you on my list. Did I promise you something. It's not too late.

o

Whew! Gardenlover, we traded for the chrsanthymum, right? I have the miracle grow fertilizer.

o

Tonya, Gardenlover took the Miracle Gro for her white chrysanthemum already.

o

Does anyone have couple of Zucchini seeds? I'll be bringing cantaloupe and honeydew melon seeds.

o

Hi I'm brand new here and just came across this post after searching for info in SA. I am not very experienced in gardening but have planted a few trees and bushes in our yard and am looking to create flower beds. I dont have anything to exchange yet other than elephant ear roots and some sweet potato vine roots. If anyone has plants/seed after the swap I'll be glad to take some of your left overs. We just bought our first three rose bushes today and would like to add to them. We also want to create a memorial garden. I like the cottage style but am open to other complimentary planting. Thanks.

o

Hi IreneF, we're looking forward to meeting you at the swap. Not bringing many extra plants this time, but I'll pull out my small seed stash and see if there's something there to offer. Probably there will be others with left over plants.

o

Much appreciation to all who came, brought wonderful plants, and contributed to a great swap.

We hope those who missed it this time around will make it to the Fall Swap on Oct. 18, 2014, Lord willing.

Photos from the day are posted on the Texas Gallery.

o

Thanks Honeybunny and Rosalee for putting on the swap today. It was awesome! 34 in attendance. Wow!

o

Hi Roselee. I'm sorry I didn't get to make it out there after all, but thank you for responding to my post. I look forward to the next one in the fall.

o

IreneF, I hope youi can make the SAPS in the fall. In the meantime there are other swaps you can attend.

Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Another San Antonio Swap on Facebook

o

Newish to SA by way of the DoD.

Just saw this posting. Bought a new house and have been going crazy with landscaping, granted it seems to be a tad different than what you all do.

Is this once a year or other? If once a year, would there be interest next uear for any of the following:

Goji berry
Honeyberry
Blueberry southern
Pink lemonade blueberry
Brown turkey fig
Everbearing fig
Pineapple guava
Named versions of dragonfruit (purple haze, American beauty, and another. May have other types ready to propagate by then)
Pomaagranet

If I can acquire good root stalk I have some great, sweet kumquats, sutsumi. Can not guarantee Meyers lemon would be ready.
Loquat
And this bush that grow REALLY good here. Stayed green all year and has maroon/reddish thistle haired type of flower or something. Pretty sure I can root cuttings as this thing grew from 2ft to about 5ft in 8 months
And if interested may pull up rootball for this black leaved crape myrtle. It was planted in yard, thought it was dead in the winter and mowed over 3" new growth.

Just seeing as some of my stuff may take time to graft or root.

o

Roofis, welcome to San Antonio! We'll have a fall swap at the same location Oct. 18. Watch this page for more swaps that come up now and then, or perhaps someone reading this may contact you about swapping sooner. You have some very interesting plants!

Happy gardening!

o

hi Roofis. I second Roselee. We have swaps spring and fall. There is also one up the road in Manchaca, just south of Austin. Plus a few other groups or single people who will also plan them around these times. We do have people in both groups who prefer edibles, so I think you'll have some takers. Keep an eye on Gardenweb in September and we'll start listing what we have and begin some pre-arranged swaps.

Patty

o

Hi Roofis,

If you are needing to know of interest now in order to start rooting, I am definitely interested in the two blueberries at the swap in Oct. I have a wide variety of fruit trees but have not tried propagating on root stock, so maybe cuttings would be better for you. Are you looking for anything in particular? If not I will try to remember to list my trees in my "haves" list this fall. Feel free to ask me about them if I forget! I look forward to meeting you.

o

I have three bb types: o'neal southern, pink lemonade (has pink blueberries), and top hat dwarf ( gets about 2x2ft).

The th is small, decorative. It will and does produce if left out in the winter. The berries are okish. Taste is store bought.

The pink is sweet as is the o'neal. Both are really good. O'neal is easier to grow here.

All should be grown in pots 20" and up due to our alk soil. They love love acid. If you drink coffee, good place to put all your coffee grounds every morning.

o
RE: Open Swap

There is a plant swap that Vivian Nelson is hosting near DeZavala and Babcock area on June 1, 2014, 1-3 p.m. in her home if anyone is interested, email me and I will send details. This tends to be a big one. I have been to her past 3 years and she almost always gets about 30 people on average. It is on her front lawn under a huge shaded tree. There is no bathroom access in the house though; just a heads up.

o

Roofis,

The o'neal southern and pink lemonade sound wonderful to me. If you don't mind rooting those, I am sure I will be able to provide something you would like in trade. Thanks!

Tonya

o

Roofis, I know it's a bit early, but... if you are rooting some O'Neal Southern BB, I would like to trade for one.

What type of plants would you be looking for? I have some Pineapple Lilies (Eucomis) that would be good for landscaping. They are easy to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here