Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

WANTED: San Antonio Spring Plant swap April 5th

honeybunny2 Fox
10 years ago

Its probably too early to start this topic, but I wanted to post in case someone already has plants they want to trade.. The plant swap will be Saturday April 5th.
I will be planting Japanese Morning Glory seeds I bought from ebay as soon as it warms up. Right now I do not know what colors or how many I will have to trade. I will probably post in March letting everyone know what I have to trade.

Good luck planting seeds, and rooting cuttings. This will give us something to do, while waiting for spring.. Barbra

Comments (123)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tally, will try to get them in my vehicle and if they fit will let you know in time.

I can bring some wire plant stands to give away. These are just the simple ones that sell new for about $6 or $7. Anybody interested?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Is no one interestest in the Lavender boneset (Eupatorium odoratum) or the Mexican honeysuckle? If not I won't bring them because they are in big pots and heavy; unless Tally might want them for their community garden plant sale.

• loreleicomal
    10 years ago

Roselee--I'll take anything you've got.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Okay Lorelei, you get 'um ... :-)

• gardenlover1
    9 years ago

Hello everyone, I hope it’s not too late to join. Here’s my list.

Have:
    Rose of Sharon plant well rooted
    Chrysanthemum plant ��" White
    Mme Antoine Carriere (climbing bourbon) rose plant white ��" would like to exchange with an yellow rose plant if possible.
    Mint
    Okra seeds

Want:
    Barbara: I have no luck rooting Flores Street house-eater. Would like to try again if you can share some cuttings.
    Yellow rose plant/cuttings
    Any edible seeds/seedlings - Zucchini, bell pepper or watermelon etc.
    Grapefruit rooted cutting

-Anu.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

I have some lovely yellow water irises growing in my pond. Plus, lots of that fern like water plant (ceratophyllum dimersum) if anybody would like some. Also, have lots of fresh fennel and parsley if anyone would like me to bag some (these are cuttings for you to use in your cooking or green smoothies when you get home; not to plant.) It is growing like crazy.

This post was edited by leapingfroglady on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 9:34

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

Garden lover, I am interested in your white chrsanthumum (sp_error). See my list.

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Whoa, Leapingfroglady, those iris are gorgeous--I'd love one.

I've dug you some mints. Do you have elodea (anacharis)? Keep losing mine.

Also have plenty of dragonshead--nice marginal with big spikes of bloom.

• beachplant
    9 years ago

the air conditioner went out. It has to be replaced. We will not be up this weekend for the swap I am sorry to say.
    we will be up in May to dig up Kathys garden and get grass planted and to play tourist. I am not at my desk so will give you the dates tomorrow.
    This sucks but there is no way to go through summer without an air conditioner!!
    Roselee, we`ll come see ya`ll and pick up the bougs at that time.
    Ya`ll have fun without us, I know it will be hard. See everyone in the fall.
    Tally HO!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

"What a revoltin' developing this is" as the saying goes. Agreed it will be hard to have fun without y'all, or at least as much fun, but what is-is and I know you gotta' take care of business. We'll see you in the future if not in the pasture ... ;-)

• Ken145
    9 years ago

Hey Everyone,

Sorry I am so late on this. But what I have right now are:

2 Green Stripped Zebra Tomato seedlings (potted)
    3 VR Moscow Tomato seedlings (Potted)
    2 Cherry Chocolate Tomato seedlings (potted)
    4 Ichiban Eggplants (Potted)

More to come.

Wants if Possible:

DStartz: Olive Tree Cuttings

NBTonya: Orange Russian Cherokee Chocolate, Violet Jasper Tomato seedlings, & Loquat root cutting

leapingfroglady: Purple been Seedlings

Bluegirl: Chocolate Mint

Castro_Gardener: about how big is the Golden Rain Tree?
    But I would like some Pots

I also have to offer:

4 Habanero Plants
    4 Jalapeno Plants
    4 Golden Bell Sweet Pepper plants
    4 Aladdin Bell Pepper Plants

This post was edited by Ken145 on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 12:39

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Ken and Anu, it's never too late. We're glad to know you're coming and happy to read your lists of plants.. We hope some others that haven't posted come too.

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Ken--will get ya some chocolate mint. Should mention again: it doesn't really smell like chocolate. There is some sort of ephemeral suggestion of the scent, still, it's a nice mint.

Tally...wha?...oh noooooo!!!
    Can I leave your stuff with someone else? If not, I'll be happy to bare-root it & mail at your convenience. I must have half a dozen mints started & several buckets full of the established ones.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

@ Ken,
    My purple bean seedlings don't look good for some reason. I have reg green beans if you like. unless you would like some seeds instead. I still may have some.

@bluegirl, I will bring you some of the yellow iris.

Looking for: Moses in a Basket

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

Patty if you bring me plants I will take them off your hands. I can always fit something somewhere.

• gardenlover1
    9 years ago

leapingfroglady: Do you have anything from my wants list for chrysanthemum? or how about some garden soil that I can use? It's an 8" established plant. We had nice blooms last year. I had problems uploading the picture from this page, so sent you an email.

Ken: Would you like a mint plant for VR Moscow Tomato seedling?

Roselee: I would like to try malibar spinach seeds please, if you have some.

Anu.

• Ken145
    9 years ago

Gardenlover1,

I will gladly take some mint.

Thanks

• Ken145
    9 years ago

Patricia,

I will gladly take regular green beans. Sorry to hear that the purple ones aren't doing so well.

• beachplant
    9 years ago

Patty? Wanna plant sit for a couple of weeks? Or Ragna? We have to run by her place while we`re there and pick up some boughs anyway.
    And someone said we could come dig up rocks at their place, who was that?
    Tally Ho!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Bluegirl, I'll take the plants you have for Tally since she'll be coming by my place in May.

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you, Roselee!
    And thanks, Leapingfroglady!

Okay, getting a bit crazy, please check that I have your wants correct:

Tonya
    *ox eye daisy
    *Fleabane daisy
    *TX storksbill
    *Persian shield cuttings

Patty
    *Pink Chiffon rose
    * unknown white polyantha
    *Fleabane daisy
    *4 Nerve daisy
    *Copper Canyon daisy
    *? skullcap--we'll hope it's the purple
    *Dragonhead

Tally
    *Mints--hoo, boy, lots of mints :)

Leapingfroglady
    *orangemint
    *spearmint
    *chocolate mint

Ken
    *chocolate mint

Please let me know if I've left something out!

Also bringing:
    *Southernwood rooted cuttings
    *Feverfew
    *Pyrethrum
    *sack of jade cuttings
    *heartleaf skullcap (S. ovata)
    *Gregg's dalea
    *extra ox-eye daisies
    *extra 4-nerve
    *extra fleabane
    *sprigs of hardy sedums--angelina, dragonsblood, misc.

*whatever I think of/have room for/throw in to top off the car.
    *li'l red wagon if I can fit it in.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

Checking my list and checking it twice. If for some reason I forgot you please alert me.

Collecting the following:
    Joan Reed Vick's plant, variegated vinca, and sweet potatoe slips
    Wu-Kabaocha pumpkin
    Lorelei-tomatoes and red hibiscus
    Patty-15 Folgiers containers and Moses in a basket
    Rgana-Malibar Spinach
    Tonya-Stevia
    Bluegirl - 3 mints

Taking to:
    Arshia - Fresh picked fennel and parsley ( I still have more if anyone would like some)
    Wu-Cardemon
    Lorelei- Yellow Iris
    Tonya-Pink Rose Bush
    Patty-2 garden art pieces (hope you like them)
    Ken- Purple green beans (2) and purple seeds.

I have All Purpose Miracle Gro Fertilizer, or Aphid and Whitefly Spray or Seven Dust 5.

I happened to drive by a house today and found this cactus on the ground. Bringing several pieces of it if anyone is interested.

This post was edited by leapingfroglady on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 20:47

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

Bluegirl
    I would love a variety of your sedums; doesn't matter how small.

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Sure thing. Most are just little things I got last month--I pinched a bit off each. Do have a good amount of Angelina, which is hardy.

(save me an iris, please :-)

• loreleicomal
    9 years ago

Tally, I live up near Blanco on 61/2 acres, you're more than welcome to dig up rocks!

Pat, I can snip off some sedums for you as well.

• gardenlover1
    9 years ago

leapingfroglady: I potted the plant from the ground to a pot of miracle gro garden soil for you yesterday evening.

• nbtonya
    9 years ago

Ken, I just saw your requests. I will put your name on all of those you asked for. May I have 1 or 2 each of your Golden and Aladdin Bell Peppers?

Pat, I will take the Miracle Gro off your hands, unless you want to save it for another trade. Was there anything else on my list you wanted?

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Okay, I'm mostly packed up.

Roselee: got a red wagon in, plus a dinky dolly. Where did y'all get those neat fold-up wagons?

Clipped a bunch of Artemisia back--bringing some sacks of cuttings, sacks of 2" & 4" pots (dunno if anyone wants them).

• Ken145
    9 years ago

nbtonya,

I've got you down for the Golden and Aladdin Bell Peppers.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

I have a black crate with "Taken Plants" written on it. Look for your name and you will find your plants that I traded with you. Feel free to pick them up. I will be looking to collect what I traded by walking around. Thanks everyone!

Ragna, I don't think you asked me for something to trade. Did you want something from my list? You have the malibar for me.

Please if you want something please let me know by midnight. I will check my email in the morning before I head out. Van is packed and ready to go! Wahoo!

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

@ Gardenlover,
    Did we trade for something? YIKES, I don't have you on my list. Did I promise you something. It's not too late.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

Whew! Gardenlover, we traded for the chrsanthymum, right? I have the miracle grow fertilizer.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

Tonya, Gardenlover took the Miracle Gro for her white chrysanthemum already.

• gardenlover1
    9 years ago

Does anyone have couple of Zucchini seeds? I'll be bringing cantaloupe and honeydew melon seeds.

• Irene Flores
    9 years ago

Hi I'm brand new here and just came across this post after searching for info in SA. I am not very experienced in gardening but have planted a few trees and bushes in our yard and am looking to create flower beds. I dont have anything to exchange yet other than elephant ear roots and some sweet potato vine roots. If anyone has plants/seed after the swap I'll be glad to take some of your left overs. We just bought our first three rose bushes today and would like to add to them. We also want to create a memorial garden. I like the cottage style but am open to other complimentary planting. Thanks.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Hi IreneF, we're looking forward to meeting you at the swap. Not bringing many extra plants this time, but I'll pull out my small seed stash and see if there's something there to offer. Probably there will be others with left over plants.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Much appreciation to all who came, brought wonderful plants, and contributed to a great swap.

We hope those who missed it this time around will make it to the Fall Swap on Oct. 18, 2014, Lord willing.

Photos from the day are posted on the Texas Gallery.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

Thanks Honeybunny and Rosalee for putting on the swap today. It was awesome! 34 in attendance. Wow!

• Irene Flores
    9 years ago

Hi Roselee. I'm sorry I didn't get to make it out there after all, but thank you for responding to my post. I look forward to the next one in the fall.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

IreneF, I hope youi can make the SAPS in the fall. In the meantime there are other swaps you can attend.

Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Another San Antonio Swap on Facebook

• Roofis
    9 years ago

Newish to SA by way of the DoD.

Just saw this posting. Bought a new house and have been going crazy with landscaping, granted it seems to be a tad different than what you all do.

Is this once a year or other? If once a year, would there be interest next uear for any of the following:

Goji berry
    Honeyberry
    Blueberry southern
    Pink lemonade blueberry
    Brown turkey fig
    Everbearing fig
    Pineapple guava
    Named versions of dragonfruit (purple haze, American beauty, and another. May have other types ready to propagate by then)
    Pomaagranet

If I can acquire good root stalk I have some great, sweet kumquats, sutsumi. Can not guarantee Meyers lemon would be ready.
    Loquat
    And this bush that grow REALLY good here. Stayed green all year and has maroon/reddish thistle haired type of flower or something. Pretty sure I can root cuttings as this thing grew from 2ft to about 5ft in 8 months
    And if interested may pull up rootball for this black leaved crape myrtle. It was planted in yard, thought it was dead in the winter and mowed over 3" new growth.

Just seeing as some of my stuff may take time to graft or root.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Roofis, welcome to San Antonio! We'll have a fall swap at the same location Oct. 18. Watch this page for more swaps that come up now and then, or perhaps someone reading this may contact you about swapping sooner. You have some very interesting plants!

Happy gardening!

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

hi Roofis. I second Roselee. We have swaps spring and fall. There is also one up the road in Manchaca, just south of Austin. Plus a few other groups or single people who will also plan them around these times. We do have people in both groups who prefer edibles, so I think you'll have some takers. Keep an eye on Gardenweb in September and we'll start listing what we have and begin some pre-arranged swaps.

Patty

• nbtonya
    9 years ago

Hi Roofis,

If you are needing to know of interest now in order to start rooting, I am definitely interested in the two blueberries at the swap in Oct. I have a wide variety of fruit trees but have not tried propagating on root stock, so maybe cuttings would be better for you. Are you looking for anything in particular? If not I will try to remember to list my trees in my "haves" list this fall. Feel free to ask me about them if I forget! I look forward to meeting you.

• Roofis
    9 years ago

I have three bb types: o'neal southern, pink lemonade (has pink blueberries), and top hat dwarf ( gets about 2x2ft).

The th is small, decorative. It will and does produce if left out in the winter. The berries are okish. Taste is store bought.

The pink is sweet as is the o'neal. Both are really good. O'neal is easier to grow here.

All should be grown in pots 20" and up due to our alk soil. They love love acid. If you drink coffee, good place to put all your coffee grounds every morning.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

There is a plant swap that Vivian Nelson is hosting near DeZavala and Babcock area on June 1, 2014, 1-3 p.m. in her home if anyone is interested, email me and I will send details. This tends to be a big one. I have been to her past 3 years and she almost always gets about 30 people on average. It is on her front lawn under a huge shaded tree. There is no bathroom access in the house though; just a heads up.

• nbtonya
    9 years ago

Roofis,

The o'neal southern and pink lemonade sound wonderful to me. If you don't mind rooting those, I am sure I will be able to provide something you would like in trade. Thanks!

Tonya

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Roofis, I know it's a bit early, but... if you are rooting some O'Neal Southern BB, I would like to trade for one.

What type of plants would you be looking for? I have some Pineapple Lilies (Eucomis) that would be good for landscaping. They are easy to grow.

• sewnmom7
    7 years ago

roselee, do you still have the "Pretoria canna,,,malabar spinach,,,and Muacho mangave pups. I d like to find something youd like to trade to you. Thank

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sewnmom, I'm sorry but I don't have those plants available now. As you can see this thread is three years old. Perhaps someone coming to the swap on April 8, 2017 will have them. I believe I read on the current thread where someone mentioned Malabar spinach. Someone will probably have the others too. Just ask.

You may want to activate your message system available on Houzz as some people put plant lists on their "Idea Books". Here's HOW.

Have fun at the swap!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks