Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

wanted: sa swap

rock_oak_deer
12 years ago

SPRING SAN ANTONIO PLANT SWAP -- MARK YOUR CALENDERS

DATE: Saturday April 14, 2012

TIME: 9:00 to noonish

LOCATION: Rogiers Park, 209 Pleasant Dr., Balcones Heights, Texas. Same location as last fall.

Everyone welcome, we enjoy meeting new folks!

Comments (150)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gina, if you've saved any old potting soil sacks they work great for manure.

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

Wow - how exciting! I am thrilled someone want to trade for it. lol Ragna I will give the list a look later on, I have been so busy with things around the house and plants and just life really, I am trying to sit down and focus on the swap now... But I will bring plenty of poop. Dont worry. And you guys can take all you want.
    Mara the pomagranate- I will keep looking for a pot big enough- Other wise will bring in a 5 gal bucket bare root maybe- I do have it, so not to worry. I do not remember what I wanted off of anyones lists, as I should have wrote it down, I will try to look at the earlier posts later on maybe this weekend. I do remember what I am bringing though. so do not worry- just a tad scattered at the moment. My son just finished basketball so the week is starting to slow back down, but a close neighbor is in the hospital this morning, and today I have to go pick up his dog. So if I am not on a few days dont fret. I will not forget. just busy busy at the moment.

things I am looking for
    ginger- I already have the varigated one
    anything edible
    water plants- I have iris and pink lilly
    I love cannas and roses
    papaya?

we have 2 acres inside the house area so I have plenty of room and we have 18 towards the cows-so space is not an issue

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ms brown thumb - If you have an aloe available I'd like one.

Tonya - I'd like some of the red basil.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Also have:

BLUE MIST FLOWER, the one the butterflies LOVE, 2 plants

• tiapoppy
    12 years ago

Rock oak deer. U may certainly have an aloe. Please be aware it isn't aloe Vera but the reg blooming aloe. Roselee/Ragna I'll take a mist flower if it's available. :)

• Ken145
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I am new to gardening and don't have much to trade in variety. I am definitely showing up for the swap.
    This is what I have to trade:

Capsicum Chinense(aka Lucifer's Dream)-Red Habanero Peppers
    Capsicum Annuum - Jimmy Nardello's Peppers
    Solanum Lycopersicum(aka Bonny Best)- John Baer Tomatoes

All these will be potted up in either 1 or 2 gallon nursery pots by the time the swap comes around. Also they will be harden off by then, so if you want to take the plants and put them in the ground after the swap you can.

Ken

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Ken, so glad you decided to join us. We look forward to meeting you. I'd love one of those Jimmy Nardello Peppers. You can look back at my list to select or I'll have additional stuff at the swap.

Ragna - I'd like one of those mistflowers please.

Mara, the blooming aloe is exactly what I expected. They are blooming all over the neighborhood so should do great here. I still have the aloe vera my MIL gave me more than 30 years ago, I think one probably lasts a lifetime. She really does keep and use hers in the kitchen.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooops, sorry I meant Mrs. Brown Thumb for the aloe!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Welcome Ken. Looking forward to meeting you and all the other new folks. There will be people there with veggie garden plants and seeds as well as ornamentals. You will go home with plants.

Got Mrs. Brown Thumb and Shirley down for the blue mist flower. I could dig some more if anyone else wants it.

Incidentally, I use the soap aloe, the one that blooms a lot around here, exactly like aloe vera, for kitchen burns, sun burn, etc. and it works the same.

• tdhg
    12 years ago

Does it absolutely have to be gardening? I use to sell jewelry effusion lamps, hand painted cards, paintings ect and would love to swap some of my Stuff especially for the lycoris that plantmavin has. I do have some plants. Most are still rooting but I know I have some Texas laurals that are rooted and about eight inches, spider plants, maybe some ruella. My seedings are too small still

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi there and welcome tdhg, you definitely don't need plants to trade. We have several traders with established gardens who are trying not to add too many plants so your idea sounds great.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now that we are getting closer, here's an update:

I'm estimating the attendance at 20+ including several newbies we look forward to meeting.

We'll have everyone bring a lunch this time and still need volunteers for desserts to share. I'll make sure we have enough plates, napkins, utensils, nametags and slips for the door prizes.

Rebecca/Texaspinkie has volunteered to bring a cooler with drinks and perhaps someone else might want to help out with drinks.

If you have a folding or portable table and chairs, please bring them as tables and seating are limited there.

It is a bit of a walk from parking to the shelter so wagons, carts, and anything you can bring to carry plants will be helpful. I am bringing a wagon for plants and Ragna has a dolly for tables and heavier items. We can use additional wagons.

We posted a helpful list earlier in this post that will answer most questions about how the swap works. If anyone has any other questions just ask. If you think of anything go ahead and add it here to remind us.

Most of all have fun meeting other local gardeners and learning about what grows best around here.

• nbtonya
    12 years ago

Shirley,

Gotcha down for the red basil!

Tonya

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

If these things are available I would love them, if not no big deal.-

Barbara= my red bleeding heart died I have the white one left

Tonya - desert willow

ragna- phlox or pink pentapete

linda - mojito mint

and glenn I will bring a plumeria for you,

I will be bringing cow poop in walmart bags-
    and have made a list up of everything to bring as not to forget anyone or anything. I will also have misc. plants to swap, and can bring table and chairs- I think I have two card tables I will bring both, in case we need extra- looking forward to seeing everyone.

• meriberi
    12 years ago

I found a 2nd baby pink trumpet vine that had self-rooted, so I'll bring it to the swap in case anyone else wants one. This vine hasn't done this for me before because it normally freezes to the ground in winter, but the mild winter allowed it to keep growing this year.

I also have a large stash of plant markers that I think can be reused, so I'll bring those as well.

• tdhg
    12 years ago

I have been wanting to make these French cookies I recorded on the cooking channel. If I can keep from eating them all. Hehe

What about ice?

Someone said it was a long walk to the site. Can I have an about how long?

This sounds like so much fun!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Tdhg, make two batches of those french cookies. One for you to 'sample' and the other for us to 'gobble' :-)

The walk to the pavilion isn't all that far, just 50 ft or so. At the place where we had our swaps before we could back our cars right up to the pavilion so we didn't need a wagon.

Gina, gottcha' down for the phlox and pink pentapete.

• tiapoppy
    12 years ago

Thats why I plan to bring Mario with me...i set up camp on a table...he lugs the plants from the car. :D

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The cookies sound yummy!

I didn't have a wagon last time and the walk got pretty long at the end!

Roselee linked to some photos back on March 3. Just scroll back up to see.

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

flowerlover, the Mojito Mint is yours! I would love some cow poop...always in need of that.

• castro_gardener
    12 years ago

Hey Y'all -- I strongly urge you to put your order in now if you want to make a trade with TexasPinkPixie, aka Rebecca.

She posted pictures above of a granite birdbath that her very talented hubby made for me. I know it takes a lot of work, so if you want one in exchange for your plants, please let her know so he'll have time to put it together. He does an excellent job and I'm thrilled to have one !!

She also has loose pieces of granite in many different colors which are good for signs, table tops, or other garden ornamentation.

Be the first on your block to get one !!!

patty

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Rebecca, I looked at the pictures again and I'd love a birdbath if there are any plants I have that you'd like to have in trade for it. Just name your 'price'. Thanks! You can email me through 'my page' if you want.

• nbtonya
    12 years ago

Rebecca, A bird bath sounds nice,too, if I have anything you would like in trade.

Flowerlover78, gotcha down for some desert willow seedlings. Would love some cow poop!

Tonya

• texaspinkpixie
    12 years ago

Hi Everybody!

Sorry that I haven't checked the post lately.... Ragna and Tonya you got it! You both have stuff I would love to have so I will pm you guys on Sunday. Ragna I am also bringing my big ol box of seashells...

YAY Patty!!!! Glad you like it! I have had constant visitors to mine for the past few weeks including pesky raccoons who are using it to wash the stolen chicken eggs from the neighbor's house..lol

Wow, more people posted that I haven't traded with yet!

Flower lover78, I have a bunch of dog food bags and bags that potting soil came in if you want to send me your addy I can squish them into a box and send it to you for your poop for a small poop fee of course..lol

I will bring both a garden cart and a nifty wagon I will also bring the DH to haul stuff around for us and drinks and a cooler as well.

• texaspinkpixie
    12 years ago

BTW, just had some dwarf pomegranates sprout up...not big but they grow at a steady rate.

Let's see, I will root some chocolate mint cuttings, sweet potato vine (actual eating potato), rooting a cutting of purple speckled spiderwort. I have several creeping texas periwinkle (loves shade)and my whole yard is a sea of bluebonnets so if anyone wants some just let me know.

lots of peppers and tomatoes!!! And misc. seedlings (lipstick tree, corkscrew vine, lavender morning glory tree and a bunch of others I can't think of right now) I figure I will just bring them and then rehome them or take them back home

Also picked up some extra topsyturveys, some gardening books, i should have a few plant stands and perhaps an extra birdbath. I will make a more complete list and post again on sunday :)

• nbtonya
    12 years ago

Thanks Rebecca!

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

got everyone down for the cow poop- see everyone in two weeks!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I am going to bring some poka dot plants, and maybe some 1001 tomotoes, they care coming up everywhere at the coast. Barbra

• tdhg
    11 years ago

I saw a "gathering" apron on the web and decided I wanted one. My first one was for someone shorter than me so I am making another. Does anyone think they may want one? I can post a picture if anyone does.

I also made a homemade newspaper pot maker for myself. I can make a few more if someone might want one of those.

Pam

• tdhg
    11 years ago

I saw a "gathering" apron on the web and decided I wanted one. My first one was for someone shorter than me so I am making another. Does anyone think they may want one? I can post a picture if anyone does.

I also made a homemade newspaper pot maker for myself. I can make a few more if someone might want one of those.

Pam

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

A "gathering" apron sounds like a wonderful idea!

• flowerlover78
    11 years ago

oh I would like one- the apron - are you looking for anything?

• tdhg
    11 years ago

I am crazy for bulbs especially spider lilies. Blackfoot daisy is another thing I love. Gingers. Really tho I haven't met to many plants I don't like. There are some. I would love some water lillies.I have you down fir one.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    11 years ago

Plants I have:
    Coral Vine
    Sego Palm
    Cardimen (mediterranean plant that smells like cinnamin when watered.
    Purple Mexican Petunias (very drought tolerant)
    purple heart
    Mountain Laurel seeds
    Loquat seeds
    Squash plant

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have invited someone who is a native lover to our swap. She is from the Medina area. I hope y'all don't mind.
    Mara

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's great Mara! We enjoying making new gardening friends.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I only have two folks that want something and that is Roselee wants 2 giant red leaf crinums, and flowerlover wants a canna, and the red and pink bleeding heart. I will just bring the stuff I have. I did pick a few things at the nursery this morning that I will bring. Roselee you might want to go to Lowes at Callagahan this morning and see what they have, you might want to take the t
    ruck. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I went back to Lowes at 2pm today, because I forgot plants that I had placed on the side, that I wanted for the plant swap. I have never seen anything like it. There were 34 carts, with 4 steel shelves on each. 17 carts on each side with plants that were marked down 75% or more. At 2pm I went back, with my daughter, there were only about 1/3 of them left, and of course the plants I had put aside were gone. I have never seen anything like this before. I got alot of $16.99 plants for $4, $8.99 plants for $3, $3.99 plants were $.50. My daughter just told me last night, that she needed plants, that is why I checked. I wonder if they do that all the time, and I just miss it? Barbra

• flowerlover78
    11 years ago

so I was scooping poop today- doesnt that sound like fun? haha will do some more tomorrow.

Barbara- my bleeding heart just finally came up again - so someone else can have it

tdhg- I do not have a lot of water lillies, I have plenty of water iris, but I will bring some for you...thanks all see you on Saturday. I may be a little bit late but not too bad.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barbra - What time should I be there Sat. to make sure we get the shelter?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I am going to try and be there at 8:15am, to make sure that the bathrooms get opened, before everyone gets there. I think the park offically opens at 9am. Last year people started coming at 8:30am and the bathrooms were not open yet. I had to call and have someone come out and open them. If you can come about that time, we can make sure that we have the tables saved, and I can check on the bathroom situation. Just let me know. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Barbra. I will plan on being there about 8:15 to hold the tables for everyone. If there are others who would like to show up around 8:30 to help hold tables for us that would be helpful too.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I'm planning on coming early too.

This may seem like a strange request, but if anyone has some really hard clay-like soil I'd love a gallon or so to put in a large plant saucer and keep wet for the muddaubers. Someone dug a plant from their garden and gave to me. When I noticed the clay soil I used that last year and the muddaubers were lined up five at a time to get greyish clay to build with.

I'll also be bringing Yellow Mexican bird of paradise and fire cracker plant. I hope there are some takers.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I am going to bring some Indian Feathers, Barbra

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Well , it turns out the person I "invited" is already coming and is Lindatx...LOL. Ran into her on another forum.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's funny Mara! Linda makes all our swaps already.

• flowerlover78
    11 years ago

tdhg- I found two babies for spider lillies, I believe, water ones, they are tiny , but will take, plus a water lilly - small, but will grow

• tiapoppy
    11 years ago

Oh My goodness yall I am going to cry. I way underestimated how many plants I have. I apologize some of yall are gonna get plants in tacky grocery bags, but I ran out of pots. No way i can bring everything to this swap...,more for the fall maybe? I have so many more to put in bags...why did i not realize I had so much to bring? and in the middle of moving!!! I am going to cry..and with an out of town trip right after the swap...why do I do this to myself???? Just had to vent.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's okay, ms brown thumb, we're pretty casual about IOUs. Next time will work or we can have another meetup.

No crisis, they're just plants! Have a good evening.:-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

We had a great swap! It was wonderful seeing everyone again and meeting the new people. We appreciate those who made the drive from out of town and the far side of town. Mrs. Brown Thumb arrived well composed and with with all her plants ... :-) The weather was PERFECT!

There were about 20 people there, however we really missed a couple of you who didn't make it :-( ... maybe next time, okay? We'll be doing this again, and catching up with everybody's news and views plantwise, in October.

There will be some pictures posted on the Gallery later.

Thanks to everyone for your presence and all the beautiful plants. With a full heart and a car load of both soft and stickery things there is much gratefulness all around from all of us.

Sponsored