Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

HAVE: Ft Worth Swap April 19 Trinity Park!

sylviatexas1
10 years ago

We know we've survived another winter when...
the swallows return to Capistrano?
the calla lilies are in bloom?
the moon rising & Venus is transiting Aries?

We know we've survived another winter when
WE START PLANNING OUR SPRING SWAP!

Yay!

For newcomers, you enter Trinity Park at the little road or trail just across the street from the Botanic Gardens Rose Garden;
it's the same way you go to get to the little train.

We start around 10 AM at a spot near the 'back', by the picnic pavilions,

We'll share a potluck lunch & have a prize drawing with a very modest limit, maybe $5.

Since the weather has been so cold, I don't know what has survived, but I'm sure I'll be able to bring quite a bit of lemon mint.

That stuff gives me courage; it survives *everything*!

I have some yellow cannas, dwarf & standard, & I pegged down a few things last autumn in hopes that they would root, so we shall see.

I also have
a lot of wine glasses,
a vintage glass 'party' set of plates/glasses/cups/etc,
a box of colorful vintage plastic picnicware (pics to follow)
& some broken china for crafts (I just added a lovely old bowl with gold decoration to this stash this afternoon).

Please let me know if you want any of this;
depending on how many plants I bring,
I may have room only for what has been spoken for.

If anyone has vintage embroidered or crocheted things or old feedsack material or quilt 'junk' to trade, I'd be eager to see them.

Can't wait to see everyone!

Comments (37)

• remy101
    10 years ago

Hello sylvia.
    It's good to see plant swap listing.
    Have list
    Small curry leaf tree plant
    Few rose plant
    I hope I can able to start from cutting ( Greek columnar basil, African blue basil)
    I can start lemon, purple petra, big genovese, sweet basil,early long, antigue, udalmapet, pandora, casper eggplant , burgundy, clemson okra ,emerald okra , few kinds of tomato and diffetent flowers from seed
    I will add more later

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I've started my inventory too. It is not complete, just a quick list.
    3 rooted forsythia
    2 small Cherry Laurel trees
    black scallop ajuga
    blue spruce sedum

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today was the first day I've been able to actually get outside & browse around to see what things are looking like.

The only signs of life I found were hyacinths & daffodils, & I don't have many of those!

Some of the roses had shown new growth, & of course it froze, & it all looks freeze-dried now.

I did find 5 pots of cannas that need homes, & it looks like a couple of pots of vinca made it.
    This is the indestructible vine that likes bright shade.

I know I have some seeds for purple coneflower & for white moonflower (datura);
    I'll start some if there's time, but if not I'll bring the seeds.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I'm sorry Sylvia, I told you I would hop over here and post. I'm glad others found this thread first.

I'd like to swap for native seeds this year. If we move, seeds will be easier to take than plants.

• weldontx
    10 years ago

Is this the Sat. before Easter Sunday?? Will have to see what family plans will be. Mart I have "some" organic seeds. Will work on a list if able to make the swap.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yep, sure is;
    I was focusing on other swap schedules & park schedules & didn't realize the next day is Easter!

Since many people may have week-end-long plans, if we don't get some substantially warmer weather within the next week, maybe we should change the date?

• remy101
    10 years ago

I am interested in gardenia, citrus, jasmine cuttings.
    Eggplants and other kinds of vegetable seed.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

remy, I'm so glad you're a vegetable fan!

If I can find them, I'll bring you some lemon cucumber seeds (uh, assuming you like cucumbers!);
    they're over a year old, but hopefully some will germinate.

Lemon cucumbers are about the size & color of lemons, they're a little sweeter & have less 'bite' than the long green ones, & they don't make you (me) burp!

• remy101
    10 years ago

Thank you sylvia

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

accidentally pulled out a daisy with 2 roots & put it in a pot.
    don't remember the kind, seems like I got it at one of the swaps & the name has something "arctic" about it.
    Alaskan or Iceberg or some such.

The original plant is still in the ground &, even after its very difficult first summer & horrible first winter, it's has made 2 babies, so I'm thinking this one will likely do well for someone!

• remy101
    10 years ago

Sylvia I am interested in daisy , also I am interested in different kind of mint.

I started rosemary and mint from cuttings. I hope they will root by then.

• Cutetexun
    10 years ago

I would like to be a part of this. I don't have any plants to bring, I am a new gardener but I can cook/bake for the potluck!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Welcome, CuteTexan!

You might bring some home-baked items to trade:
    people always seem to like homemade breads, brownies, etc.

Remy, the daisy has your name on it!

• seamommy
    10 years ago

Hey Sylvia! I'm gonna come to this swap come hail or high water. Not sure what I'll have but will have something for sure. I have really missed the swap and can't wait to get together again!
    Cheryl

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay!
    For those who haven't met Cheryl/seamommy or who haven't seen her facebook posts on her antique & cool stuff business, you're in for a treat even if she can't find one spare sprig of mint in her garden;
    she makes the coolest 'junk', I mean art, for the garden.

I just transplanted some Heavenly Blue morning glories into their own individual little plastic cups, hope they do well.

Transplanting seedlings has to be my very least favorite thing to do in the garden.

• seamommy
    10 years ago

If anyone wants to look me up on FB my name is Cheryl McCall. I do have a lot of fun with garden junk, antiques, and repurposed items. I sell most of it since people seem to like it. I have recently finished a POTTING BENCH from a repurposed buffet cabinet. Just waiting for a space to open up at the store to take it in. I'll be posting pics of it before it goes. Cheryl

• seamommy
    10 years ago

Looks like it may be a pretty small group this Spring. Maybe we all should all bring a friend.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yep, I think the bad winter delayed everything in the gardens, & then, in trying to give people a week-end to recuperate from the San Antonio swap (some swappers from our area did go there last year), I set this year's Spring Swap....
    the day before Easter!

I left a message for the woman in Duncanville who gave me the dark purple iris last year, asking her if she'd like to come with me to the swap, & haven't heard from her yet.

If people can bring a friend or neighbor, it'll be good, but if not, we'll just be a smaller group this time.

more macaroni & cheese for me!

I talked to a woman yesterday whose grandmother's house is being torn down, & she told me I can take all the iris albicans (old white cemetery irises) that I want.

There are a lot of 'em!, so if anyone wants some, please let me know.

I'm happy to dig them if they'll have homes, just don't want to dig them up only to have them dry out & die anyway.

I mean...there're a *lot* of 'em.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I lost a lot of plants this winter and may just go buy some stuff :-) I need mint! Can you believe that mine died? We'll have a fun chat and pot luck anyway :-)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mint?
    Did I hear the word "mint"???
    I just happen to have millions of mint!
    Mainly, it's lemon mint, which I think is the most useful, since you can put it in hot or iced tea or you can just carry around a little bit & rub the leaves to smell that heavenly fragrance, but I may also have a little chocolate mint.

My seedlings are slow, but I do have some Heavenly Blue morning glories & some really teeny-tiny zinnias & such.

& it looks like some of the castor beans will make it.

Should we plan on a potluck or on prizes?

whatever y'all want it fine with me!

• remy101
    10 years ago

Want list
    Cutting or plant
    Jasmine, mayer lemon, gardenia,
    Any dwarf flower plant(that stay small)
    Almost anything edible like herbs,vegetables anything

Have list
    Small plant
    Curry leaf tree
    Grape fruit mint
    Lime mint
    Sweet mint
    African blue basil
    few rooted rose plant
    Sweet basil seedlings
    Nigella persian jewl seedlings

• remy101
    10 years ago

Sylvia I am interested in lemon and chocolate mint

• remy101
    10 years ago

Sylvia I am interested in lemon and chocolate mint

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Sylvia, I would love some lemon mint. I'm in charge of bringing virgin mojitos to our work potlucks and gave my spearmint a workout last year.

I hope that I have something you like too!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what I have (that I can remember right now!):

lots of lemon mint

3 small pots of oregano

lots of Old white cemetery irises (iris albicans)

1 pot of soapwort

a number of Heavenly Blue morning glory seedlings *very small*

3 or 4 crinums, don't remember what kind but probably white with mauve veining

teeny weeny just sprouting castor bean plants, 1 pot, maybe 2.
    These are stunning plants, but they're toxic, so they need to be placed out of the reach of children & passersby.

1 purple coneflower seedling, very small.

1 or 2 sedums, can get more if needed.
    The plant resembles Autumn Joy, but the flowers are white.

vinca

datura seedling(s?) very small, old-fashioned white.

couple of pots of cannas, dwarf yellow with orange throat or yellow standard, lost tags so don't know which is which.

a few teeny zinnia seedlings, all the seeds were tossed into big shallow dishpans, will separate into smaller pots if I have time.

Remy, I'm pretty sure there's one batch of dwarf zinnias;
    I still haven't found the cucumber seeds, but I have some other seeds & seedlings that I'll bring.

I'll pot up some chocolate mint,
    & I have a yellow & orange bi-color rose for Auggie.

I also have:

lots of black plastic nursery pots
    a couple of crocks like people used to use for fresh butter
    a couple of decorative pots or containers

Please *SAY SO* if you want any of these bulky items;
    I'm "chauffeuring" some stuff for a friend this trip, so my space is a bit limited.

If I don't have room for everything, I'll bring what has been spoken for & as many actual plants as possible, & then I'll stuff everything else in until the car almost bursts but not quite.

I'll bring mac & cheese (seems like everybody can eat mac & cheese!) & a "gardener-care kit" with lotion, vinegar, baking soda, sunscreen for the prize drawing in case we have one.

If y'all want to have the drawing, please bring a prize worth about $5.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 17:18

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Here's my list
    Turkey/Swiss cheese pinwheels and drinks, probably some chips too

1 Cherry Laurel tree, maybe 18-24 inches tall ... just potted

2 Vitex seedlings that came up underneath mama (she is a medium blue bloom, lost the tag years ago).
    1 is 18-24 inches tall and has 5-7 serrated leaves and the other is small with 3 smooth leaves like mom

1 rooted forsythia I edited this. The roots were not as plentiful as I thought!

multiple smallish pots of ajuga (the blue blooms right now are so pretty) and sedum (bluish gray). I will try to bring 4-6 smallish pots of each of these unless someone wants more :-)

I can dig cannas but only if anyone speaks for them. I have both red and dark orange blooming tall green-leaved indica and medium height 'Pretoria'...it's got yellow and green striped foliage with the larger flowering orange bloom.

I have lots of that yellow that Sylvia has too, I think...no need to duplicate canna though, it grows like bunnies.

I have the regular yellow iris and I can dig as much as you want.

I really meant to plant edibles for you Remy, but never got to it.

Sylvia, you have everything that I want...mint, white iris are just so pretty and pots! I hope that I have something that you want. The iris don't need to be potted, the rhizomes in a bag are just fine and space saving.

I have some Garden Art stuff for door prizes too
    I'll bring some extra lawn chairs and a card table since we have a truck.

This post was edited by pkponder on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 22:52

• remy101
    10 years ago

Sylvia
    I am interested in mints, few white iris,3 or 4 sedum, vinca, and few yellow orange cannas if you don't like anything from my list I can bring u lotion or glade candles, also what kind of decorated pots do you have?
    For the door prize it has to be garden related or can I bring anything?

• remy101
    10 years ago

Thank you pkponder
    I am interested in blue gray sedum, orange and red canna, pretoria, yellow iris and ajuga.please let me know if you like anything from my have list otherwise I can bring lotion and candles.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the swap is all about having fun & sharing with other people, so I'd say when there's a decision of any kind to be made, make it enjoyable & easy on yourself:
    bring whatever prize you wish!

Here's my list so far:

to Pam:
    mint
    iris
    pots

from Pam:
    ajuga
    edited to add: I'd love to have one of the vitexes if no one speaks up for it!

to Remy:
    daisy or daisies
    chocolate mint
    lemon mint
    dwarf zinnias:
    there's a whole dishpan of tiny babies; can you use that many? (say yes! please! As I've mentioned, transplanting is my very least favorite garden activity! Give me a shovel & make me dig, but please don't make me separate those tiny fragile little things!)
    oregano
    cannas
    I may have a yellow squash coming up, will check.
    Those things produce so much that you only need one.

from Remy
    Lotion
    nigella if no one else speaks up for it:
    (I don't really need even one more plant of any kind,
    but I do love them!)

I forgot to put on my list yesterday that I have:

2 pots of lamb's ears
    2 pots of four o'clocks, don't know the color
    something that I'm not sure of, but I think it's ginger.
    If so, & if you like ginger, this is the one to get:
    It survived the winter in a plastic pot buried under autumn leaves!

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 15:42

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Yay!

To Remy:
    blue gray sedum
    orange and red cannas
    pretoria canna
    yellow iris
    ajuga

From Remy:
    Grapefruit Mint
    Lime Mint ... both sound yummy

To Sylvia:
    ajuga
    Either Vitex :-)

From Sylvia:
    mint
    iris
    pots

I am getting so excited!
    Pam

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Cheryl, CuteTexan, Weldon and Marti....

Anything that I have left after the arranged swaps is up for grabs.
    Marti, are you up for snooping through my seedbox? I know that I have some natives in there, some maybe 3-4 years old, so not sure that they are still viable. Where you relocating to?

That offer stands for anyone else who wants to look through the seedbox. I'd rather they go to someone who will plant them than see them go bad.
    I really need nothing in return. My gardens don't have much space left.

I can also dig the canna and iris if there is any interest.

Pam

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I wasn't 100% sure until last night that I would be able to make the swap, but looks like I am going to make it! I do have to get my plants potted up tonight though.

I will have the following:

Mammoth Sunflower plants
    Maximilian Sunflower plants
    Phlox
    Rootbeer Plants
    Larkspur (white)
    Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate (small seedlings) (variegated)
    Goldenrod
    Yarrow (white)

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I will find more stuff when I start looking.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Darlene

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm signing off for the evening, eager to see everyone tomorrow!

If anyone needs me, text or call 214 seven3eight 431four.

• remy101
    10 years ago

Sylvia I will take zinna, also are you bringing whire iris and sedum for me
    Thank you

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I hope that I sleep! I am so excited to see everyone!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Thank you Sylvia for organizing another great swap! It was great to see you all!
    I had so much fun and came home with a lot of beautiful plants that I had no intention of bringing home! You don't want to know what my hubby said when he saw the trunk load of goodies!

It was like a big party with plants! :-)

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

It was nice seeing everyone again. I really enjoyed myself. Good people, good plants, good food -- what more could anyone want? Thanks Sylvia for putting it together.

Darlene