Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chargreen_gw

HAVE: Austin/San Antonio Spring Plant Swap April 21

chargreen
17 years ago

Hello Everyone,

The Austin/San Antonio Area Spring Plant Swap will be on Saturday, April 21 at the Buda City Park pavilion. I will post directions and a map before the swap.

We will have a potluck lunch and lots of fun!! Let me know if you have any questions.

This is the group that used to meet at Rio Vista Park in San Marcos in April and October.

The San Marcos pavilion is no longer available so we have moved to Buda,

still close to IH-35.

We welcome any plant swappers that want to join us!

Thanks,

Charlotte

Comments (42)

• txbeyer
    17 years ago

Let me be the first to post some wants.
    Pink Skullcap - Scutellaria suffruitecens
    Shrimp Plant - any color
    Paleleaf Yucca (Yucca pallida)
    Sedums

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants I am currently growing

• txbeyer
    17 years ago

I am adding another want - Four Nerved Daisy or Tetreneuris scaposa. If someone has it, or any of the other plant wants that I have posted, please let me know

• chargreen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have some four nerve daisy for you. I will also be bringing liatris and some other natives. I will get my list together soon.
    Charlotte

• pickle78664
    17 years ago

We have 12 Oleanders (mix of red, white, and pink) available. They are about 4 years old. We currently have them along a back fence line, but the fence and the surrounding trees are too much shade for them. Anyone who has a sunny place to put them would benefit. We'd exchange for shade perennials, and/or some vines for the fence (trumpet, etc.).

• sowandsew
    17 years ago

Ok, since we finally had real rain and the most wonderful rolling thunder last night, today I have gotten enthusiastic about deciding what to bring to our swap. I have potted brugmansias, russellias (red firecracker plant), some rampant spreading daylilies (some call them ditch lilies. They will grow & bloom & multiply under any circumstances. Bronze orange in color), butterfly vine, assorted succulents, l or 2 salvia chiquitas. I will notice what starts growing after the rain & add to my list as I find out. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

• txbeyer
    17 years ago

Plants that I know I can provide at this time include:
    Toad Lily - a variety known as "Gilt Edge"
    Totally thornless Opuntia cactus
    Hypericum "tricolor" - 1 only
    Sanseveria hahnii 'Pearl Young' - 1 only
    Xanthasoma "golden delicious' (3)
    Thai hybrid crown of thorns (2)
    Senecio himalaya glauca (crested form) - 1 only
    Other misc. succulents

• rumbum
    17 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum; I live near Dripping and I might be able to attend this swap. I don't have much, but I could try to pull some wild agarita and twistleaf yucca. Does everyone else have too many of these plants also?

Thanks,
    Melissa

• Vulture61
    17 years ago

Melissa, don't you worry even if some other fellows already have what you have. Bring whatever you have and you will probably go back home with a bunch of new plants. Since I moved recently from Utah, I don't have much either but I am planning on taking seeds and other garden items (hose, bench and used pots). Come, you won't be sorry.

Omar

• txbeyer
    17 years ago

Let me add yet another want to my list:
    If anyone has Blue Fescue ornamental grass (Festuca glauca) that is divisable, would love to try it.

Melissa, most of us hope to go home with much less than we came with, so you will be a magnet for all of our spare plants. We love to share and give away what we don't need.
    I have tried transplanting twisted Yucca - it doesn't transplant well so I recommend not trying to pull any up in the wild to bring.

• rumbum
    17 years ago

Does agarita transplant ok? I have lots of that and it is in bloom and it smells so nice right now!
    Hmm.. I can bring rock. I have lots of wild plants around but I don't know enough to recognize them yet, just that they don't look like weeds to me! I have 2 madrones that my neighbor pointed out to me - but sorry, I am not moving them! ;)

• txbeyer
    17 years ago

It never fails!!!!!

As soon as I list a want, I find what I want at a local nursery. Got the Yucca pallida, more Sedums, and the Blue Fescue ornamental grass. Also got pink skullcap the other day. Charlotte, thanks for the 4-nervc daisy - could use more of them even though I bought some recently.

Add to plants I have for the swap - Cherimoya tree (Annona cherimola) - a tropical fruit that needs winter protection.

So, where am I now on my want list: Down to only
    Shrimp Plant - any color. (Justicia spp)

I know I will find other treasures I never thought about while there.

• chargreen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I hope everyone is getting ready for the swap.
    April 21 is just one month from today!
    Please make sure you come even if you don't think you have much to swap. I don't think anyone has ever gone home empty handed. It is so much fun getting together with all of the other gardeners. Here is the map to the park. I will post it again before the swap.

Charlotte

P.S. Melissa, bring some rock, I will trade plants for rock anytime!

Here is a link that might be useful: Buda City Park

• txbeyer
    17 years ago

Does anyone have a spare rooted plant of Marie Gonzalez Rose? If so, I am very interested in acquiring it at the swap. Thanks

• chargreen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Did you mean Martha Gonzales Rose?
    I just bought my small plant last year so I'm not taking
    cuttings yet. I know someone has brought some to a swap before. It is a great little rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Gonzales Rose

• txbeyer
    17 years ago

OOP's I did mean Martha Gonzalez Rose. I grew this one very well while living in Houston and miss it. It's way too early to be taking cuttings but thought someone might have an extra one rooted. We'll see - that's the fun of plant swaps, never know what you'll find or expect :-) I have a rooted Green Rose if anyone is eccentric enough to want one!

• txbeyer
    17 years ago

Here I go again, generating more plants I would like to get if anyone has them for the swap:
    Delosperma cooperi (the true ice plant)
    Acalypha wilksiana (the common copper leaf plant)
    Aztec Liriope grass

• juliestand
    17 years ago

What time will this swap start? I have never been to one & I am new to this forum but I have a few seeds I could show up with.

• chargreen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome to the Texas Forum!
    Here is the info for the swap. Let me know if you have any more questions. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

The swap usually starts at 9am sharp and we usually do door prizes and a potluck lunch around noon. It's usually all over by 1:30 or 2 depending on weather and how many people come. As for what to bring, the options are wide open. Plants of course, either divisions of your perennials, or cuttings you started or seeds you collected and labeled. Sometimes people bring whole plants they decided they didn't like anymore or didn't have room for. Also, if making new plants is not your thing, you can bring gardening related items, books, terra cotta pots, tools, etc... People are generally very generous and eager to make newbies feel welcome so there are no hard and fast rules about what you can bring. Also, most gardeners just don't want to take any of their own stuff back home so they are often not expecting an "even trade".
    There is also a list of things you may find useful to bring:
    camp chair or stool
    card table (there are no tables provided at the Buda pavilion)
    extra plant labels and marker
    extra plastic pots - usually someone needs these
    plastic bags for transporting goodies
    plastic nursery trays for transporting goodies
    Drinking water
    rain jacket (for some reason our swap usually causes a shower!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Buda City Park Map

• cannabeth
    17 years ago

Hello Everyone,

New to this forum, old to gardening. Chargreen, thanks for making the Aus/San A. plant swap happen. I will be there. Will be bringing mostly tropicals. Also, Happy Birthday!

Beth

• chargreen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome Beth,
    Looking forward to meeting you at the swap.
    Thanks for wishing me a Happy Birthday.
    I had a great day. I bought a new shovel for digging up plants to bring to the swap!!!

Charlotte

• txbeyer
    17 years ago

Glad to hear about new people coming to the swap. It will be soooooo much fun! I will be coming for sure and bringing a friend Larry Cook along. I have given up posting wants and haves as everytime I do, it changes, so will bring a bunch of different plants and be looking for little treasures from others. I have NEVER been disappointed at a plant swap. There is always something for everybody :-)

Bob Beyer, NW Austin

Here is a link that might be useful: My plant collection list

• janidob
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Ron and I will be in Buda on Saturday and we are looking forward to the swap.
    We both plan to bring all we can get in our vehicles.

See you there!

Jani
    San Marcos, TX

• castrogardener
    17 years ago

Hi Charlotte. Wow ! Is it this weekend already ???

I'm planning to be there. I took a lot to the San Antonio swap, but I still have plenty left over.

don't forget to stick Teri's cooler in your car. And I'll try to remember to get it from you ! :-)

patty

• Carla
    17 years ago

It looks like the weather will be good on Saturday. I plan to come with as much as I can load up to give away. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

Carla in Leander

• cannabeth
    17 years ago

Hi Carla - I'm in Leander also, look foward to meeting another gardener in my area. See you there.
    Beth

• chargreen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's going to be a great weekend for the swap.
    It's good to see that everyone is getting as excited as I am about seeing old friends and meeting new friends!
    Patty, are you going to bring paper goods? I've got Teri's cooler ready to put in the car.
    Did she give you a list of what plants she wants in it?

I think we have about everything set for the swap.
    If anyone isn't loaded with plants to bring let me know if you can bring a cooler with ice and drinks. It looks like it might be a warm day and we may need more than what I have set up.

Charlotte

• Vulture61
    17 years ago

I'll take care of the cooler with ice and drinks.

Omar

• chargreen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

O.K. my car is packed with plants (and Teri's cooler!).
    There are many new swappers coming who don't post in Gardenweb. Thanks to all of the Gardenweb swappers who posted on this thread. I know how hard it is to find time to post instead of play in the yard!
    I am really excited about the great weather!
    Omar, thanks for bringing ice and drinks. Everyone else bring whatever you want just come on and enjoy another fun swap.
    See you tomorrow!
    Charlotte

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

How'd it go?

Lots of fun, no disorderly conduct?

Tell tell tell!

• Vulture61
    17 years ago

It went very well. About 20 people showed up. As usual, Charlotte had everything planned and under control. The weather was also very nice. People went crazy from one table to another for a couple of hours. There were plenty of snacks: donuts, pretzels, potatoe salad, Spanish rice, pasta salad, a tasty sub, brownies, water and coke. At the end Charlotte eveb had several token prizes for the attendees. Nice. I enjoyed it very much.

Omar

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Wonderful!

That's a very good turnout;
    now you've got 'em hooked for the next swap!

• sowandsew
    17 years ago

What a great group we are! I don't know of more generous or enthusiastic growers of exotics, tropicals, cacti, houseplants, grasses, natives, bulbs---anywhere. I'm so embarassed of mislabeling my sansieviera Congo as an Amazon (where did I get that?)but, hey, our expert Txbeyer helped me out. I love all the beauties I brought home & this Sunday a.m. at my house it is misty & gray---perfect weather for transplanting. My friend Mary really enjoyed meeting everyone & will probably become a regular too. I was pleased with Patty's Bouncing Bet, but when she shared an entire bucket-load--gee I could hardly believe it. Thank you so much, Charlotte, for your time and patience putting this together for us. Hope all the lantanas of every sort that Rumbum took home will survive her deer & it was good seeing young faces join us. Thanks everybody!

• txbeyer
    17 years ago

That was the best yet plantswap I've attended!! Thanks so much Charlene for all your hard work organizing another very successful swap, and thanks to all who so generously shared their plants with all of us. Sowandsew, the sanseveria is S. masoniana aka Masons Congo. I have never been so thrilled to get any plant at a swap more than that one, so thanks for your generosity. I loaded up with more native perennials to add to my small native plant section of my garden and researched all of them when I got home. I had everything planted by Saturday evening. Appreciate those who broght specific plants on my want list. I should have many more unusual plants for Fall as I begin propagating them this summer. Thanks to all who brought those wonderful edible goodies. I was very happy to see the larger number of people there and hope this fall that will grow even more. Glad also to find someone really interested in tropicals that I had which were seeking a new home.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Plant collection list.

• chargreen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for pitching in and being part of another great swap! I finally met my goal of not bringing home any of my own plants and giving away more plants than I took home. (It only took three years of swapping to make that happen!) As usual we had plenty of plants, food, door prizes and fun! We had a total count of 23 attending the swap. There were people from north, south, east and west of beautiful downtown Buda. Next time I need to remember to bring some paper bags because I think some of the newbies were about to hyperventilate when they saw all of the great plants and friendly generous people they were meeting. We had a variety of gardening items besides plants. A nice couple from Columbus came and brought some worm castings to share. When we were packing up two ladies pulled up in an SUV and wanted to get rid of a lot of pots and gardening items. Of course much to their surprise and delight we had to fill the SUV up with plants.
    We have such a great generous group and for those who didn't make this swap you were missed and we hope you will join us next time.
    I can't wait to get together again in October!
    Thanks Again,
    Charlotte

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Charlotte, sounds like another great success.
    DD, came for her B-Day and brought me a plant, lol
    Love that!!! Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, maybe I can get to the Fall Swap. Is it still going to be in Buda?
    Congrat's on it
    jolana

• rumbum
    17 years ago

I had a wonderful time and it was great to meet so many friendly people! Everyone made this newbie feel very welcome and I came home with so many new plants it will take me a week to get them all in the ground! Thanks to everyone for the generosity!
    Melissa

• chargreen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jolana, keep your October calendar open and come join us for the fall swap. This was the third consecutive swap in Buda. Everyone attending agreed that we like the park and it is working for our group so we will be in Buda again for the fall.
    Melissa, your mulch was a big hit. See you didn't need many plants! When that fawm moves you can bring me some rocks next time!
    Charlotte

• cannabeth
    17 years ago

Charlotte, almost fell off my chair laughing. Do bring extra bags in Oct.- especially for me!!! Like a kid in a candy store - getting plants for free. Thanks to everyone for their (now mine) great plants. And to txbeyer - I really appreciate the tropicals & taking good care of them.
    Beth

• bdfive
    15 years ago

Hello, have been searching for a place to get wild plum trees and found your forum so joined. I see you're having a plant swap gathering this month not too far from me. We live near Blanco. My husband and I have just recently moved back to our home state of Texas from being in Seattle 27 years. Anyone know where I can get some wild plum trees? My friend and I wouldn't mind digging some up. Don't mind purchasing some if they are native to this area but where do they sell them? Any help will be very much appreciated. Charlotte and I would love to get some in the ground on our properties. Thanks much.
    Darlene

• chucklyn_peoplepc_com
    13 years ago

Is this plant swap info for 2011 or is this an old posting? I would really like to go to one of these!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

This is old thread, but Chargreen will probably see it and let you and every one know when the next Buda swap will be.

The San Antonio Spring Swap will be on April 2, 2011 at MacArthur Park Pavilion #1 at 9 AM to about noon. That's only about two months away!

There will be more announcements to come on here and on the main forum and then people will start putting their haves, wants, trades, and give aways on the threads.

We have a great time! Hope to see you there :-)

• sowandsew
    13 years ago

Hello! Wake up gardenweb. It's 2011not 2007. Please get it together for us who have enjoyed our connections for so many years. This could cause some misunderstandings.
    Thanks

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH