Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Wanted: Large canna, seeds or rhyzomes

Posted by nightrider767 San Antonio (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 08 at 0:07

I have two corners of my yard that I'd like to cover with some canna that will grow six feet or taller. I have President rhyzomes to trade or plenty of seed I collected in Hawaii from a plant that was four feet tall with light green leaves and yellow flowers that had a hint of peach.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Wanted: Large canna, seeds or rhyzomes

Hey Mike ! Remember I told you I had some canna for ya ? One of them is musifolia which gets 10 feet plus at my house. But it's a species canna, so don't know if you'd mind the smaller blooms.

patty (the banana person)

o
RE: WANTED: Wanted: Large canna, seeds or rhyzomes

Patty,

Thanks. I'd love them. I'm personally of the mind that 1/2 of the canna, and sometimes more, is actually the the plant itself and the nice leaves.

Fact is,,, with canna, the flowers are typically so-so, even in the best of cases. I mean yes, they do provide lots of good color, but I know for a fact that there are many people who grow them and cut the flowers off at the first opportunity.

I can go either way with that.

But I do know one thing, this summer I will have a lot of canna, and it's going to be a real battle keeping the bugs off of them.

But I certainly do enjoy a challenge.

I don't know why I like cannas so much. They can really be sort of ratty, and slummy looking. But they're enthusiastic growers. And that's something I admire.

Take care and thanks again.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here