Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Denton County Swap

Posted by melvalena North Texas sunset (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 11 at 10:28

Carrie and I have decided to go ahead with our plans for a Denton County Swap in May. We're zone 7 up here so our plants are a little latter waking up from their winter nap.
Most swaps are held on Saturday, but we're thinking we'll try for a Sunday afternoon instead. It might make the park less crowded and parking less of an issue.

We'll let everyone know when and where as soon as the pavilion has been reserved.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Denton County Swap

Just so I'll know whether to save any of these for the swap ............ I need to know if anyone who will be attending is interested in any of the following:

Lady in Red salvia
Blue Mist Flower
Vinca Major
Fall blooming aster
Various cannas
Black and Blue salvia

Please post here or send me an email...........thanks.

o
RE: HAVE: Denton County Swap Details

We're Official now!
You do not have to live in Denton County to participate. The name is really just about the location of the swap.

Date: Sunday May 15, 2011
Time: 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Place:
Kid Kastle Pavilion
2210 Briarhill Boulevard
Highland Village, TX 75077

a web site for posting haves and wants where you can edit your postings as things progress is at the link below.

Details about the Denton County Swap and plant swaps in general:

There are a few tables and BBQ grill at the pavilion. Parking, rest rooms, and playground close by.
Pot Luck Snacks, so bring a little something snack-ish and what ever you want to drink.

I'll provide coffee service, small plates and napkins.
The little red wagon will be there to help get plants from the parking lot to the Pavaillion. I'm hoping someone brings a pre teen to teen, or spouse to help others with unloading and loading.

If this is your very first plant swap or you are a new gardener, you don�t have to bring anything, but first time swappers who are already gardeners should bring stuff.
Just come and see what it is all about. Please be sure to tell everyone that this is your first swap or that you are a newbie to gardening and you will see how nice everyone is and how they make you feel right at home.

The basics:
Bring plants divided from your garden beds, potted up and labeled.
Bring cuttings, labeled of course.
Plants are the stars, but get creative about what else you'd like to swap, such as garden art and sculpture, books, seed packets, extra tools, garden hats, cute pots. Bring your tips, too.

Each person will want to know what they are getting. By they time they get home many have forgotten what the name of the plant is, so please label each item.
Some people note any tips that might help the plant's new owner be successful enough to divide the plant again in a few years. Some traders/swappers print out care sheets for each plant to hand to the new owner. But if you have labeled properly, the new owner can find info about the plant easily on line.

A potted plant has roots. A cutting does not. A cutting stuck in a pot of dirt is not a potted plant. Please do not try to pass one off as such.

When swappers receive plants they always put them under or behind their table.
DO NOT take any plants under tables or on garden carts or wagons. These plants are off limits. Please DO NOT take anything without asking. (unless it is on the free table).
It is good etiquette to ASK if it is OK to take a certain plant.

Sometimes swappers have done "pre-trades" on the internet with other gardeners and they are saving those plants to give to them. Pre Trades should be well marked and set aside but in the chaos of getting to the swap and setting up, some things just don�t get done. Always ask.

There will be a designated table for free plants for the taking. These will be extra plants that swappers will bring to give away and no trade is expected.

When marking your plants, you can use permanent ink on popsicle sticks, cut pieces of old blinds, plastic knives, forks or spoons and anything else you can be creative with! Printed labels are fine too.

Garden Swap FAQ:
Should I bring a garden cart or wagon?
Bring a garden cart or wagon to carry your plants back and forth to your vehicle. You will be glad you did!
Should I bring a table and chair?
YES!
What if it rains?
WE WILL BE THERE RAIN OR SHINE! We are die-hard gardeners and the swap will go down regardless!
What is a pre-trade? How do I pre-trade with other gardeners before the plant swap?
A pre-trade is a plant trade made with other gardeners online who are going to the scheduled plant swap. Gardeners are looking for certain plants to swap with other gardeners and agree ahead of time that they will bring those plants to the plant swap for each other.
Does the plant swap cost any money to attend?
ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY IS TO BE EXCHANGED FOR ANYTHING! We allow swapping or trading of plants or garden-related items only!

Let the Swapping Begin!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Denton County Swap link

o
Door Prizes Denton County Swap

I knew there was something I left out!

Door Prizes!! Yes, we like them.

If you want to participate bring a garden related item (not a plant) with a tag on it that says your own name.
We'll pull the tag off and use it to draw names for your choice of what is on the door prize table.

Get it?
It has to have a gift tag with your name on it.
So we can pull them off and use them to draw names. :)
(no one has to keep up with writing down all the names, who has time for that?)

:) :) :)

o

Sounds good & it will be 2 weeks after the Ft Worth swap. Sundays are a little harder on me due to church but I will see if I can make it.

o

BUMP!!!!

o

Is anyone interested in a baby redbud? I have a yearling that finally got identified but he's in the wrong place...and I don't have room for another tree!

o

Absolutely............. I may have lost mine in the front this past winter...........only half of it bloomed, and the other half looks dead.

o

Carrie, it's yours! I'll send you an e-mail.

o

I am so excited that I stumbled on this group and it is close to home. I am in Carrollton. I will have oak tree sprouts -Thank the squirrels for that. Iris's will post the colors closer to the date. I have holly hock seeds harvested from last years crop, columbine seeds as well.

o

Great, Gretchen, so looking forward to meeting you.

o

• Posted by ruthz DFW/TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 17:02

Any interest in tomato seedlings?
If I can keep them alive until swap.
I started more seeds than I have room for.
They are various small cherry type tomatoes.

o

Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 13:33

Here is the name of my leftover tomato seedlings.
Some I several seedlings, and some only 1 each.
Animals or worms cut the tops off most of my pepper plants, but so far have left the tomatoes alone.
Some seeds were commercial and some from trades (just in case it turns out to not be what it's supposed to be).
I will pot up by request only.

Black Cherry (C)
Brown Berry (C)
Carrie's cherry tomato (2010 seeds)
J D's Special C - Tex (T)
Matt's Wild cherry (C)
Peacevine (T)
Rosalita (C)
Sun Gold (C)

o

Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 15:09

Sorry, J D 's special C - Tex is not a cherry type tomato.
You can find various information if you google it.
This is from Tatiana's tomatobase.

80 days, indet., regular leaf plants, average production of round, 8-12 oz purple-black fruits, outstanding flavor. Developed by a JD in Conroe, Texas, exact history is not known for certain, but it is thought to be a stabilized selection from a cross between Brandywine x an unknown black, based on info that was passed on when seeds were shared with a fellow tomato grower about 3 years ago.

o

I wish I knew the name of that tomato plant, Ruth......it has been a lifesaver for me ......... just give it a little water and it will provide you with tomatoes until frost.

o

Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 16:47

I've been looking for some to produce during the summer months.
The cherry/grape tomatoes are supposed to handle the heat better.
I saved the seeds from a couple of tomatoes I brought home from your house in November.
Germination was very good on them. I have several extra plants.

o

They are "volunteering" in my garden,,,,,,,,,LOL>

o

Sounds like I need one of those tomato plants. :)

o

Or two...........or three........

o

WOW, this place seems to be THE place! Thanks Carrie for filling me in. Altho I will be out of town on the 15th, I hope to get some things to Carrie (just what she needs... another load of plants) I promise that it won't be a big load.
Some of what I would consider.
Rooted cutting of Buck's Quietness rose
small pregnant onions
young scheflera (small leaf) plants
possible Irsene (BEAUTIFUL red)
OK, I said Not a Big load.
Things that I would consider trading for:
Old HARDY, fragrant roses (1800's or early 1900)
Named reblooming daylillies ( might should wait until Fall after they have bloomed)
Hosta
things HARDY and shade loving.

Weldon
The Grass is Greener Where you Water it.

o

Anyone wanting to trade with Weldon, please post here and I will take his plants to the swap, and bring back what you trade. I will get them to him at a later date.

o

I'm hoping to make it,though I don't have much to trade (the winter wiped out a lot of my perennials)

I do have:
Chocolate mint
Obedient Plants
4O'clocks (speak up if you might want any -I weed these out of my garden)

Carolyn

o

We're 2 weeks out!!!

Posted my list of 'haves' in the thread titled:

Denton County Spring Plant Swap 2011

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Plant Exchange

o

This is a great forum, but if you have difficulty navigating it, please feel free to post here.......... I check here daily, and I am certain others do as well.

o

The Ft Worth swap was a blast. We got to meet a few new people & of course always good to see old friends.

We seem to have lots of plants left over - even with twisting peoples arms to take more at the ft wth swap.

My next door neighbor, Donna & myself plan on attending & hopefully distribute these fine babies & adopt some new plants for the garden. It's been at least a year or 2 since we visited with ya'll out in Denton.

Looking forward to Sunday the 15th ;o)

o

Melvalena -I'd love a papyrus division.

o

You got it Equinecpa!

o

I also have prickly pear pods and a large yucca plant if anyone might want.

o

Hollyhock starters
Hollyhock seeds
Shasta Daisy starters
Oak tree starters

Some others starters that need to be verified so off to Calloways on Monday.
Will also be bringing a red wagon to share for transporting plants.

o

Okay, fellow gardeners, after surveying my position with plants, I would like to know if anyone would like to come back by my house (I live a short distance from the swap) and pick up tall red cannas (they are excellent for hummers) or wood ferns? I will not be able to bring these to the swap as they are too heavy to load and unload and carry the distance to the swap. Or, if you live near by and would like to pick these up in advance....email me please.

o

My apologies to all, Carrie in particular, I will not get my
plants to Carrie for the swap. I am swamped!, Tired and plumb
worn out. Have fun, enjoy and hope to see you in the fall.

Weldon

o

Weldon, so sorry you can't make it. See ya next Fall.

o

Weldon, if you see anything posted in trader's lists that you want, let me know and I will try to trade for you.
So sorry we won't get to see you, and try not to work TOO hard (easy for me to say) !!!!

o

Tue, May 10, 11 at 16:35

Some things I'll be bringing,

Ajuga
Daylily NOID probably yellow and/or red (2)
Iris - tall bearded NOID (2)

I'm potting up 1 to 3 various winter sown small seedlings planted in January.

Brazilian Bachelor's Button (seed from carrie's)
Cardoon (1)
Columbine - Green Apple (1)
Columbine - Ruby Port (3)
Coral Vine (1)
Castor Bean - New Zealand Purple (2)
Datura - Black Current Swirl (2)
Hibiscus - *Center of Calm (2)
Kiss me Over the Garden Gate variegated (1)
Pokeberry variegated (2) very small
Rudbeckia - Denver Daisy (3)
Tomato - see posted list above, only bringing if requested

*note - Center of Calm is a mutation of Turn of the Century hibiscus named by GW trader Audrey.
You can see pictures of the flower under her seed trade list.

o

Tue, May 10, 11 at 19:14

Updated list

Black Cherry (C) - OUT
Brown Berry (C)
Carrie's cherry tomato (2010 seeds)
J D's Special C - Tex (T) - OUT
Matt's Wild cherry (C)
Peacevine (T)
Rosalita (C)
Sun Gold (C)

o

Ruth, I would like to request a castor bean, a Center of Calm and Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate. I have nothing unusual to offer this year, but how would you like a Phygelius (red) that grows well in part shade?

o
my list

Lady in Red salvia
Blue Mist flower -- 2 small
Turk's Cap -- 1 small
Mexican hydranges...1
Henry Duelberg salvia ---1 small
Creeping Jenny
Large leaf sedum (blooms yellow_
Flame Acanthus
Datmansia ---- 1 but have lots of seed for these

o

I just removed my prickly pear cactus -I have pads of that available if anyone want some. It's the kind with thorns and yellow bloom. Very hardy.

I can also bring fresh cuttings of black/blue salvia (sorry I haven't rooted any but can cut that morning)

Carrie-I'd be interested in sedum..I was just about to post that I'm looking for some. I'm looking for small succulents to fill a cute pot I have.

Does anyone have any creeping rosemary? I've only seen large expensive pots at the nurseries I've been to this Spring..just looking for a couple of small specimens for a pot.

o

Okay, will add the sedum to your list. My creeping rosemary froze this past winter.......guess it's roots just couldn't take all that freezing weather.

o

Wed, May 11, 11 at 16:46

I'll put your name on those Carrie.
Let me know if I have anything else you'd like.
Your bringing Crinum for me.

o

Yes, I am ..........is that all you want??? Need another willow swithch for rooting???

o

Thu, May 12, 11 at 16:43

Carrie, I'm sure there will be stuff at the swap that I'll think I can't live without.

I would really like a Meyer Lemon cutting if anyone has one.
I keep eyeing them at the nursery but they are rather expensive.
I can bring a few cuttings of Camellia sasanqua 'Kanjiro' if anyone would like some.

o

I thought of something else I have if anyone is interested.... Rudbeckia herbstsonne. These are NOT potted so will not be bringing except by request.

o

Hey everyone! Its almost time!

Don't forget your door prize item. Put it in a gift bag with a gift tag that has YOUR name on it. If it won't fit in a bag, then just put the tag on the item.

I'll bring hot coffee service, and a cooler with iced down bottled water.

here's my list:

rooted brugmansia cuttings, not potted:
UConn (1)
Eternity (2)
Cherub white (4)

The following are in pots:

small potted yarrow white (6)

Verbena bonariensis sprouts (11)

salvia greggii sprouts (4)

Umbrella Papyrus divisions from mother plant (5)
--1 promised to Carolyn

Curry Tree: Murraya koenigii (1)

Plants from Carrie's garden:
small potted wood ferns: (5)
potted mock orange (2)
potted giant crinums white (11)

o

Carrie, is this the Rudebeckia with the large leathery leaves that you brought to the fall swap? I got two from you and I couldn't remember the name.
Thanks,
Susan

o
Wanted List / Offer

I am looking for a Mexican Buck Eye Tree

2 - 4 tomato plants (small cherry or grape size)

1 -2 Okra plants

Bringing columbine seeds, hollyhock seeds (2010) hollyhock plants & daisy plants in pots. I thought it was basil (purple) plants but now don't know but will bring it anyway. It is growing in my front garden.
**My scrapbook of my front yard.**
My wagon to transport.

Any questions please call me. I don't think I will be on the computer this weekend. 469-223-0982 Gretchen's cell

1 or 2 okra plants

o

Anyone have any lambs ear they can part with?

o

Gretchen, I can bring you some tomato plants that are volunteers for me. It is a large "cherry" that produces all summer until frost.

Susan, I think I brought some of these to the last swap. I grow them mostly for their foliage.......makes an excellent border plant.

o
Sweet Basil

In checking, I have decided that my volunteer basil is not going to come back this year..........I put the greenhouse over it, and it is sulking. If anyone has any extra they would like to share, I would appreciate it.

o

Sat, May 14, 11 at 13:12

Carrie, I looked up Phygelius (red) and I would like one if you have enough, if I can trade you something other than seedlings for it.
I have a White Variegated Duranta or a small Acanthus spinosa. I also still have several Bridal Bouquet Asarina.
Or let know what I have that you'd like.
I don't remember if you got one of the asarina vines in the fall, but I tried overwintering one inground and it did survive.

o

Oh, that is so good to know about the asarina, Ruth.....I did get one in the fall, but overwintered it in the greenhouse......now I know I can put it outside if yours survived last winter. Wonder how well it would do in part shade????
The phygelius is potted, but not very large, Ruth and I will be happy for you to have it. I will put it with your crinums.
See you tomorrow..............

o

I drove around yesterday and this morning passing out fliers about our swap to homes that looked like someone gardened.

One lady has emailed me back her list of plants she can bring.
I asked her to please post them here. I hope she does.

So there's a good possibility there will be more people there who aren't posting here.

o

Sun, May 15, 11 at 12:27

melvalena, my 10 year old grandson Mason is coming with us.
He'll help anyone who needs him to.

o

That's great, Ruth..............I will probably need help. Thanks !!!!!!!!

o

Wonderful Ruth!!!
See y'all there soon.

o

Thanks to everyone who made this such a great swap, and my especial thanks to Gail who worked so diligently to make it fun for all of us..........see you in the Fall.

o

I hope everyone is happy with what they went home with. (or with out. If anyone has questions about something they took home, just post and we'll try to answer them.

Thanks to everyone who made it out and spent such a wonderful afternoon with us.

o

It's so appreciated that ya'll put the swap together! Had a great time yesterday meeting so many nice fellow garden addicts! Came home with a trunk full and still having a blast finding new homes for all of my new plant babies! :)

o

What a great swap, it was good seeing old friends & meeting new friends. We were hoping to off load (hehe) more stuff & we ended up coming home with the same amount after getting our wonderful new plants.
Thank You to all that swaped with us - now to free cycle the rest.
Hope to see you in the fall.
Gail & Carrie you did a fabulous job!!
Debbie

o

Tue, May 17, 11 at 19:27

Thanks for a great swap.
Some pictures

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

OH my gosh!! Some one took pictures!!!
I had my camera and planned to do it, but just forgot. Thank you Ruth for taking the photos!

I'm so delighted with what I went home with. I've been out in the yard off and on trying to get them in the perfect spots while grand baby naps. Its slow, but gives me time to think and plan. :)

o

Thanks, Ruth and Dan...........great shots. I went home with much more than I intended to, but no surprise there.

o

Great Pictures. Thanks for posting them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here