Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

HAVE: Ft Worth Swap: Door Prizes Orphan's Table Etc

sylviatexas1
14 years ago

DOOR PRIZES:

If you can, bring a garden gift worth $10.

not much more & not much less.

(This way nobody will bring a $40 saw with handpainted bluebonnets & go home with a bottle of seaweed solution.)

When you bring your gift, a volunteer will put a number on it, & you draw a "list number" out of a hat.

This number gives you your place on a list.

Before lunch, each person comes forward in numerical order & draws a new number, & you get the gift with that number.

Once you have your gift, you can choose an item or two from the Orphan's Table.

ORPHAN'S TABLE:

Extra plants that we want to share without a trade will go onto an "Orphan's Table", which is to be left untouched until the door prizes are drawn.

When you collect your door prize, go to the Orphan's Table & pick 1 item or 2, depending on the number of items donated.

When everyone has picked one or two items, we'll start over.

Comments (23)

• granburyflowergirl
    14 years ago

sounds fun...do we wrap the gifts?

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nah, it's fun to see everything!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

If anybody wants, I can show you how to make origami pots out of newspaper or brown paper bags... it's easy and I'm making large ones to transplant my tomatoes...

Here is a link that might be useful: Best site for origami pots

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lin, would you be willing to do a demonstration at the Swap?

It's so much easier to grasp something if you can see it actually being done (remember Venessa's rose cutting demo several years ago?)

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

I'd be glad to do a demo - we can all fold along! We can make pots out of 8-1/2 x 11" paper. Or I can make some big ones out of newspaper (much dirtier though).

Maybe I can do this at my table while we're eating, so everybody who wants to can try :)

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Lin, if you iron the newspapers the ink doesn't rub off. It's an old timey butler's trick. Not sure when or where I learned that, but it works. Cheryl

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

Cheryl - I don't like to iron clothes, but I'm going to give your trick a try!

I can only imagine being wealthy enough to have a butler iron my newspaper to keep my hands clean ... and in this fantasy he'd be a Mark Harmon look-alike :)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll start saving discarded letter-sized office paper;
    there's usually a ton of it!

• phyllisb2008
    14 years ago

Mark Harmon...mmmmmmmmmmm! Stay away he's mine.

I watched the video and set here and made little pots all morning,I have way to much time on my hands. They are so cute.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

Try it out of brown paper bags - I think they look the best! You can skip one of the first folds if it's too thick...

• granburyflowergirl
    14 years ago

just don't leave them out side if its going to rain! I made a dozen small newspaper ones a couple weeks ago for seedlings, I set them on a tray and put them outside for a little sun and forgot to bring them in...it rained and they literally dissolved! Nothing but flat-lining seedlings on top of little piles of dirt left behind :-(

• seamommy
    14 years ago

If I could afford a butler, I'd fire him and hire a gardener...and if he looked like Mark Harmon that would be OK too. It wouldn't matter that much though, ever since I turned 50, I haven't seen an ugly man. Cheryl

• merrybookwyrm
    14 years ago

Utter newbie here. When is the Fort Worth swap, please?

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, merrybookwyrm (love your screen name!), & welcome to the Texas Forum!

There are 3 threads on this page about the swap, just look for Ft Worth in the title;
    there's also a duplicate, which is being allowed to drop off the page.

The Swap is in the park by the Ft Worth Zoo.

From I-30 west of downtown Ft Worth, go south on University.
    Turn left at Colonial into the park, & follow the trail around to the ballfields on the right.

Turn in to the parking area, & you'll see a pavilion in front of you with a whole bunch of garden crazies & all their plants & seeds & artwork & lunch delectables.

It's Saturday April 10, & we start some time between 9 & 10 & "swap til we drop", usually around 2.

hope to see you there!

• merrybookwyrm
    14 years ago

Thank you! 'Spect I'll just look this time. :-)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bumping to get this closer to the other 2 posts.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Unlike Santa, I like for people to know what's in their stockings (it either makes 'em happy, or it gives 'em time to adjust so that they'll put a smile on their faces at the appropriate time).

My contribution is a "Gardener, Be Good to Yourself" basket with (duh, I forget exactly) lotions & spa socks & maybe some lavender soap & stuff like that there.

anyone else got their "present" ready (& want to tell?)

• sfmathews
    14 years ago

I have 2 pair of nice coated gardening gloves, 1 size medium, 1 size large.

Susan

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Those coated gloves really help when you're handling wet or icky stuff!

• sfmathews
    14 years ago

That's the truth! I won't use just plain cloth gloves. Still get dirt under the nails and wet icky hands!
    Susan

• barefoot_in_texas
    14 years ago

Got mine ready just ain't tellin

• sfmathews
    14 years ago

Bumpin up

Susan

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please read the separate thread regarding the change in the way we distribute our "free to good home" plants.

Orphan's Table has been changed to add more "feel goods" to every trade & to discourage abuse of gardeners' generosity.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus