Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Ft Worth Spring Swap 4 10 10 Haves & Wants Continued

sylviatexas1
14 years ago

Here's "page 2" for our haves & wants.

I'll be working in my own garden (unless it snows...) this week-end, potting up some

historic yellow iris,

small yellow daffs,

larger, lighter yellow daffs,

maybe some other stuff, depends on what's sprouted.

Also, please, if anyone has

peppers, expecially

jalapenos, &

slicing-sized tomato plants,

please let me know what I can bring you in exchange;

if it isn't on my list, ask.

Thanks so much!

Comments (105)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, you must have roses, it is a commandment.

"Thou shalt go forth & hoard up all the roses thou cansthoard."

remember reading that in Sunday School?

OK, here's what I have on my list, *which may be wrong, so feel free to give me correct info*!

PAM:
    for me small canna
    for you coral canna indica

NIK:
    for me, brownies maybe? can't remember.
    for you, yellow sedum, yellow iris, chocolate mint

RANDI:
    bamboo (I missed that, I think, when you brought over the bulbs; if you want, we can dig the bamboo before or after the swap)

BRENDA:
    for me, dog treats & uh...
    lunch
    for you, chocolate mint, Spanish bluebells

HEATHER:
    for me, coffee (Yay-& a small can is enough), & magazines if you still have them.
    for you, aucuba, I have 4 small starts, 2 of which I know are rooted.

SUSAN:
    for me, tomatoes (do you have some jalapenos?)
    for you, Tradescant

CHERYL:
    for me, Hyacinth bean vine
    for you, Spanish bluebells, & I'm a'hoarding up some jokes!

JULIE:
    mints, teensy weensy lettuce, Spanish bluebells

I am so sorry Serenitymoon & beauswatch won't be at the Swap;
    I hope to see you 2 in the fall anyway!

• planopondnut
    14 years ago

Plans have changed, and Mom and I can come to the swap! Yay!
    Here are my haves and wants:

Haves:
    walking onions
    leeks
    iris (light orange or yellow veiled mixed together)
    spineless cactus (winter hardy)
    crocosmia x (orange blooms)
    water plants - cattail, water celery, yellow canna,
    yellow louisiana iris, sweet flag, water lily
    redbud seedlings
    winter honeysuckle
    mexican petunia (tall)

Wants:
    potato onions (aka multiplying or bunching onions)
    byzantine gladiolus
    flowering quince
    forsythia
    yarrow (terra cotta sounds neat, Susan!)
    grape hyacinth bulbs
    water lettuce
    wild strawberries
    mimosa trees/seedlings/seeds
    elderberry (oh please, Barkingdogwoods!)
    rose cuttings

• element321
    14 years ago

Just a reminder I have lost all of my brug cuttings this year. So Lin and bloomingirl I have nothing to trade.

For anyone that interested, I do have some trellis scrap that I am about to take out the dump. Some if it is big enough to use for a small plant If you want it all there is about a pickup load's worth. Most range in a 3ft by 4ft sections or smaller.

• seamommy
    14 years ago

I'm a little worried about someone who always shows up at the swap, but never has anything to trade, are you sure you're a gardener? You didn't have anything to trade last year either, not even a seed. Have you tried watering? I'm thinking we may need to come over to your house and do one of those makeover TV shows on your yard. Remember, the definition of the word 'swap' is an even trade, an exchange of goods that is satisfactory to both parties. C'mon, before you get the reputation, you need to ante up or fold.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Hi Cheryl, I am just thankful for you taking these orange cannas..nothing in return please! I have crimson sunflowers ready to plant in that bed and the cannas have to go! You should have seen this yard last summer .... lots of cannas!

Pam

• element321
    14 years ago

This season I had only planed on trading the brugs, between sprinkler system failure while on vacation and a greenhouse collapse in below freezing temps I lost most of trades and most of my favorite plants. If I get the time I plan on going through the rest of my pants and supplies. I have a lot of extra stuff that need to find a new home. But that wont be until next fall.

As I should of said in the previous post. Because I do not have anything to trade, I am canceling any trades I have made and will only come if I find something I know I can find a home for. I had thought by the earlier posts the trades were canceled but no one responded so I thought I would send out another message so one would waste their time getting things set to trade if I did not show up.

• bloomingirl
    14 years ago

Susan...the spot in mom's garden that should have had cleomes has not shown any sign of them yet. They either froze out,, or it is just still too early up where we are. So I will not be able to bring them. Is there something else you would be interested in swapping for?

So sorry!!

Heather

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Pam, I might have some grape hyacinth bulbs, if they have finished blooming by Friday. I had quite a few that came up this year. I just hate to take the cannas without giving something in return. Cheryl

• sfmathews
    14 years ago

Heather, do you have any sedum that blooms, like Autumn Joy? I like the blooms and so do the butterflies.

Cheryl, my japs didn't come up from seed so well this year. I've only got two for myself :(
    But I have plenty of orange peter peppers, if you might be interested in those.

Susan

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Cheryl, surprise me then! Whatever you send will be cherished.

Pam

• bloomingirl
    14 years ago

Susan...I have a nice clump of Autumn Joy sedum for you

• barefoot_in_texas
    14 years ago

granburygardengirl - could I interest you in a trade - lunch for some lemon balm?

sfmatthews - could you maybe throw a peter pepper my way.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

element,
    torn-up trellis that you were planning on taking to the dump is not a "trade".
    Maybe you should wait to see if you have something in the autumn.

Planopondnut,
    I can bring you some rose cuttings & white yarrow.

If you have enough, I would like redbud seedlings, light orange iris, & crocosmia.

I think I have my pre-trades all potted up & I'm working on my "at the gate" stuff!

• bloomingirl
    14 years ago

Ok. Here is what I have down as pre-trades. Please let me know if I left anyone off!!

Sylvia: Folgers and mags for aucuba

Lin: Daylily and Danish Flag Poppy Seeds for Winter Honeysuckle and Confederate Rose

Susan: Autumn Joy Sedum and Butterfly Orchid seeds for Peter Piper and Lemon Drop Peppers

Phyllis: Brownies and Snickerdoodles for Hosta

Bren: Danish Flag Poppy Seeds

Looking Forward to Saturday!!!

• planopondnut
    14 years ago

Sylvia, I'd like the yarrow and rose cuttings. Could you also add a daffodil or an historic iris to the trade? I'll be glad to bring you a redbud, some crocosmia and orange iris.

Thanks for the late trade!
    --Sally

• dandylyon85
    14 years ago

Don't really have a whole lot of plants to trade this year, but I will be bringing the lemon thyme cookies again, and some other baked goods. I have a few small scent pillows, and a couple of sachets.

My front yard is in desperate need of color, and I would reallllly like some gerbera daisies. I could also use some more lavender (any variety) and purple coneflower. And anything else colorful/"showy."

Thanks!

dandylyon

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

Hi Sally (planopondnut) - how about some sweet flag for some elderberries?

Nik and Phyllis - I have some potentially bad news about the thug (that I've been calling Japanese rose for years) - it MAY be primrose jasmine, which is a bush jasmine, that was mislabeled. I'm hoping the leaves come out enough to verify, but it's still a lovely yellow-blooming arching stemmed shrub with nice yellow blooms in the spring and throughout the summer. LMK if you're not interested any more...

James (element), I thought you were waiting to see if the brugs survived - I'm sorry to hear that none survived. I was afraid I'd lose all of my brugs when my power was out for 2 days, but after the first day (of sleeping with the bedroom window open to the greenhouse to get some of the fireplace heat out there) I broke down and bought a kerosene heater - that little puppy is HOT!

Later folks!

• seamommy
    14 years ago

OK, Phyllis, I asked for a trade for a bit of your blue sedum a couple of times, we're almost down to the wire. LMK if it's a trade, and I still want the smile too!)

Lin, I was wondering about that Japanese rose too, since you gave me a bit of it last fall. I saw one like it at the Calloways yesterday, and I should have written down what it said on the label. Now I'll have to go back cause it was a name I can't remember. Anyway, mine is doing great, whatever it is.

Sylvia, I was out looking at my vines yesterday and I have everything except hyacinth beans coming up. I might have one HB, but just as I was looking at it, my little DGS came around the corner with an open bag of garlic-flavored croutons, took a nose dive on the edge of the porch and set up a commotion that sent dogs and cats running in all directions.

I can dig a couple of pecan seedlings if anyone is interested. They're a bear to dig and pot out because of the long taproot, so if anyone wants them LMK before Friday night, please.

I will be bringing lots of extras of everything, and will be looking forward to seeing everyone again. I will post the signs early so no one gets lost.

Cheryl

• granburyflowergirl
    14 years ago

Barefoot, I'll bring you some lemon balm for lunch,

Lin, I googled primrose jasmine and they are beautiful but apparently not hardy in my zone (7)...Cheryl says you gave her one last year and its doing well, and she is also in zone 7 (so maybe it really is a Japanese Rose?). I'll go ahead and try it, is there any way you could bring 2 so I can try one in a pot and one in the ground?

I was planning to dig up the white iris on my way and put them in plastic bags, is that acceptable or is there a better way?

FYI, this weekend is the Main St festival downtown so traffic may be heavy

• granburyflowergirl
    14 years ago

Does anyone have blackfoot daisy and/or purple gomphrena or even know where one can buy these?

Thanks!

• gmatofour
    14 years ago

I am new to the TX forum. I would enjoy attending the 4/10 swap in FtW, but I don't know how it works. Do I have to make prior arrangements with the other attendees as to which plants I want, or can I walk around and "shop"? If the rules are stated somewhere on the website, please refer me where to find these.

• granburyflowergirl
    14 years ago

Gmato,
    I'm sure Sylvia will direct you to the rules, they are posted here somewhere as their own thread. No, you don't have to pre-arrange swaps but you should plan to bring something plant or gardening related to trade, I am pretty sure there is nothing for sale, just swaps.

This will be my first time too so blind leading blind, but I have read alot of posts on this
    Welcome!

• phyllisb2008
    14 years ago

Ok Cheryl, I'm here and I'm bringing you lots of Blue sedum, I haven't looked at this page for over a week I was in East Texas working my flower beds down there or is it out there? Anyway know one was talking when i checked it so that's my excuse and I'm stickin to it.(smile)

Pam,I'm glad your coming,and thank you for the cannas but I would also like crocosmia,water iris and leeks if you have extra. I have some kind of onions that bunch but not sure if that's what you want. I can bring you Forsythia and quince cuttings I have not started any of those this year and I also have Mimosa if they are up and I can find them I usually mow them down.

Susan, I have Blue sedum and Autumn Joy and some other ones that bloom if you like.LMK. do you have any of the Terracotta Yarrow left if so I would like one.

Lin, anything you bring is fine with me.

Sylvia, I don't see me on your trade list aren't you bringing me anything?

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

Nik/Granburyflowergirl - I'll bring you an extra so you won't lose it. I'll also have some extra "goodies" at the swap so you can see if there's something else you want in the trade. . . Iris in plastic bags would be perfect - I usually stick 'em in one of my many boxes with soil when I get home with them, then plant them when I can.

Phyllis, glad you're back and I want to see pics of east Texas!

I'll finish getting organized today and post a final list of pre-trades. Remember there will be more at the swap so bring your extra plants or garden accessories to swap!

Lin

• phyllisb2008
    14 years ago

Sylvia,this is for you!

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Gmatofour, hit the back button from here and look for the other headings that are about the Rules, Head Count and It's Official. Those threads all have information about pre-trades, where to go, what to do, and who to see. If there's one thing (other than gardening) this group can do it's gab on the internet. Our threads are the longest, gabbiest, friendliest and funniest threads anywhere on GW.

If you start to suffer information overload, just come on out to the swap and have a hot dog and talk about gardening and plants. Life just doesn't get any better than this. Cheryl

• sfmathews
    14 years ago

Phyllis: Hot peppers/Tomato/ Fannick Phlox/ Terracotta Yarrow, for Pink Lilly, Blue Sedum and any others that bloom.
    Barefootie: Lemon Peppers/Peter Pepper/Fannick Phlox for lunch
    Bloomie: Lemon/PP for Autumn Joy Sedum/Butterfly Orchid seeds
    GFG(Nik): Tomatoes/Fannick Phlox for Raspberry
    Sylvia: A dozen or so tomatoes for Tradescant
    Lin: Bog Sage & Solidago Fireworks for Rooted Fig
    Cheryl (Seamommy): Bog Sage & Terracotta Yarrow for painted pot(s)
    Pam (PlanoPondNut) Terracotta Yarrow for leeks

Susan

• phyllisb2008
    14 years ago

Sylvia,I hope this one shows!

• sfmathews
    14 years ago

Phyllis, I don't see anything? Or is it for sylvia's eyes only?

Susan

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome, Gmatofour!

Just bring your own self & anything garden-related or yummy & you are in bidness!

Susan I added daffs & iris to my list for you.

Dandylyon, I'm not actually looking at my plants right now, so of course I can't think of anything, but I'll look for some eye-popping color;
    I'm pretty sure I have flame acanthus, which grows huge if you don't keep it in line with a whip & a chair, but it has wonderful tubular flowers for bees & such, & I'm thinking there's some more coral honeysuckle out there.

Phyllis, yes, of course I am bringing you something.

I am bringing you 12 kittens. :)

(I don't see a photo, either.)

• phyllisb2008
    14 years ago

• randeeki
    14 years ago

Seeing as how most of the trades I had set up fell thru I am going to pass on coming this time.. I thank you all for the time and effort you have put into this and wish you all a SUPER growing year!

randi

• planopondnut
    14 years ago

I forgot, I also have some desert willow seed pods.
    http://www.guzmansgreenhouse.com/desert-trees/desert-willow.jpg

Barkingdogs, it's a deal! Elder for sweet flag.
    Seamommy, can I possibly have a pecan? Please look at my list, above, and see if you can find something to trade for.

PhyllisB, did you mean me? Pam's and my usernames are similar. I'd love to trade you some crocosmia, water iris, and leeks for your onions, forsythia, quince, and mimosa. Is there something else on my list I can force you to take? I think I have a yellow water canna coming up that you might like.

Susan, sure, I'll pot you up some leeks for the teracotta yarrow. You did mean me, right? Not Pam?

Sorry for the name confusion everyone,
    Sally

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Here's what I have so far for trades:

Mommyfox(Julie)-Elephant Garlic (and a painted pot) for Pink Buddleia

Phyllis-Jade for Blue sedum

Lin-Painted Pots/Surprise me

Barefootie(Brenda)-Elephant Garlic Cloves for Lunch(You must want something else too, coupla cloves aren't worth a hot dog and a soda)

Grnbryflrgirl(Nik)-Elephant Garlic for Raspberry Vine

Sylvia-Hyacinth Bean Vines (or rose cuttings if I can't find the HBs-would that be OK?) for Spanish bluebells

Sfmathews(Susan)-Painted Pots for Bog Sage & Terra cotta Yarrow

Pkponder(Pam)- Painted Pots for Tall Orange Cannas

Planopondnut(Sally)-Pecan Tree Seedlings for Crocosmia x (orange blooms) I would also like to have some of your water iris-if you bring it I have some tall white yarrow and red monarda, or select from the list below

For anyone who hasn't traded for these items yet, I will still be bringing the following:

Tall White Yarrow (gets 36-48" tall)
    Red Monarda (gets 24-36" tall)
    Pink Flowering Jade (6-10" rooted cuttings)
    Hand Painted Terra Cotta Pots (each one unique)
    Orange Day Lilies (should bloom this summer if you get them in the ground right away)
    Elephant Garlic cloves (Stanky thangs, you're gonna love em)
    Pecan Tree seedlings (these are native pecans, the best tasting nuts)
    Inland Sea Oats (24-36" tall but doesn't spread as much as I thought it would because the birds eat the seeds in winter)

Cheryl

• phyllisb2008
    14 years ago

Sally, yes I was talking to you about the leeks and iris and crocosmia. it's a deal.

Pam,still thanking you for the cannas. Since I got the names mixed up what do I need to bring you?

Brenda, still no tadpoles.

Sylvia,keep your kittens I don't want em.

• planopondnut
    14 years ago

Cheryl, yes, I'll bring you some crocosmia, and I'll bring you some water iris, I'd love to try the monarda.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Hi Phyllis,
    I have dug and cleaned the short yellow cannas, but they are bare root. I have bags for you, Sylvia and Lin and a 30 gallon mineral bucket almost full for the orphan table. I really just want a good home for the cannas because I only dug up maybe half of them from the yard. That's my new veggie garden.

Hi Cheryl,
    I have a nice sized bag of the tall orange cannas, cleaned and trimmed, but bare root. If you want more, just let me know. Don't tell Sylvia, but I had to compost a lot of those because you were the only person that wanted any. There's a boat load left out there still in my sunflower bed space and they do need to go, but my knee and back couldn't handle any more today :-) I can't wait to see the painted pot, I'm sure it's precious!

I will be at work during the festivities, but my husband said that he could take the plants for me if Mudauber is busy.

The other Pam ;-)

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

Hi Pam -

I have the Bengal Tiger/Pretoria and what I think is Tropicana cannas in a pot for you :) I hope you enjoy them as much as I'll enjoy the short yellow ones.

Lin

• planopondnut
    14 years ago

Hi Pam, this is Pam. ;-)
    Please go immediately to your compost pile and pull some cannas out for me!!! Short or tall it doesn't matter...
    And please look on my list for a trade. Surely you will want something from one of us? I do have some tall red cannas if you would like some of those.

-Sally (the non-canna killing ponder)

• sfmathews
    14 years ago

Sally, yes thanks for the leeks!
    Sylvia, thanks for your generosity! I love daffs, can't have enuff, or iris either!

Susan

• phyllisb2008
    14 years ago

I found 2 stray Lamb's ear anyone want them?

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

OK - here's what I have as far as pre-arranged trades:

Brenda - for lunch, I'm bringing obedient plant and some salvias.

Cheryl - for painted pots, I'm bringing striped cannas.

Heather, for a daylily and Danish flag poppy seeds, I am bringing a rooted Confederate rose cutting and winter honeysuckle.

Nik - for white iris, tiny pecan, and raspberry, I am bringing two of the primrose jasmine (and your pick of something else).

Pam - for short yellow cannas, I am bringing striped cannas (Pretoria and Tropicana).

Phyllis - for blue sedum and a pink lily, I am bringing Carolina buckthorn and a primrose jasmine.

Sally - for sweet flag, I am bringing elderberries.

Susan - for bog sage and solidago fireworks, I am bringing some rooted fig cuttings (and care info) plus your pick of anything that catches your fancy.

Just to list some extras that I hope to remember:
    : bay leaves (if I remember where I put the bag of them) - these are also good for keeping bugs out of your pantry, even if you don't cook with them.
    : Carolina buckthorn
    : Cashmere bouquet
    : Eastern red cedar seedlings
    : Elderberries
    : Hall's honeysuckle
    : obedient plant
    : a friend with a lot of great stuff of her own potted up

Can't wait! The weather should be beautiful!

• phyllisb2008
    14 years ago

Final list.

Cheryl... giving Blue Sedum recieving Jade plant

Lin.... giving Blue Sedum,lily recieving buckthorn,thug

Brenda ...giving lily no tadpoles yet

Susan.... giving lily and sedums recieving Phlox,tomato,pepper,yarrow and got cuke seeds.

Sally.... giving Quince,forsythia,onions,maybe a Mimosa if i can find one recieving crocosmia,leeks,water iris

Bloomingirl.... giving Hosta recieving goodies

Granbury....giving Parsley,Garlic chives,Shast daisy recieving Raspberry and cookies

Please let me know if i missed someone or something. See ya'll Saturday morning.

• granburyflowergirl
    14 years ago

Phyllis, I'd be interested in the lambs ear if there's anything else I can bring you?

• seamommy
    14 years ago

RNDEEKI and anyone else who doesn't have prearranged trades, you should still come and bring some plants or food or garden stuff. You don't have to do the pre-trades to get nice things in return, there will be plenty of trading going on once we get there. I will have lots of extras that I will be insisting on giving away to anyone who will take them. My goal is to not take home any of the stuff that I brought, and I bring lots of stuff in addition to the things for the pre-trades. Oh, please join us. Cheryl

• sfmathews
    14 years ago

I'm excited, can't wait! I too only want to bring home trades. I don't want to lug back anything I've brought with me either!
    Susan

• barefoot_in_texas
    14 years ago

See y'all tomorrow- In case anyone gets lost - here's my cell number - four 6 nine two 3 five three five zero one.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Phyllis, would you rather have a puppy?
    a toddler on caffeine?

Just tell me!

(beautiful amaryllis!)

If anyone needs me, Brenda has my #!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, Carrie (or anybody):

A friend at work wants RED CANNAS!

anybody got any to spare?

I'll bring whatever you want if I have it!

thanks!

• phyllisb2008
    14 years ago

Granbury, The Lamb's ear is yours.