Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

HAVE: Ft Worth April 7, Trinity Park, Part Deux

sylviatexas1
17 years ago

('zat how you spell deux?)

Jabbery bunch that we are, we reached the 150 posts limit on the previous thread.

so...

anybody have a Climbing Pinkie Rose?

Comments (150)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Weldon, I'd sure like to have the nandina.

Please let me know what I can bring you in addition to the grape hyacinths.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Weldon, I just remembered I have a plant stand:
    it holds 3 plants in a sort-of tier arrangement, & it collapses for transport.

It was a black metal thing, & I painted it sage green.

• weldontx
    16 years ago

OH me, I'm going to try to honor your requests. Barb is picking up my plants on Fri 4/6 and your plants will have a green tape with your name on it. Barb gets a Mex Hydrangea; Dorothy= Germ. camomille and Belinda's Dream; Krist rudbeckia triloba; Sylvia - nandina; tina-2 coral vine. Mitch I need to hear from you...did you get the e-mail about the rose?? same question for Vanessa!! Sylvia, how do I change my e-mail on Garden Web? I tried but nothing happened. Will the plant stand hold a large (10 inch or larger) pot on top? If so, green is good!
    Weldon

• venessa
    16 years ago

I only have a couple of minutes right now so wanted to see what was going on. Yeah it's almost time for the swap :O)

Weldon I didn't get an email from you. Here is my email address venessap1@hotmail.com

If anyone needs to get in touch with me before I check back here to catch up just email me or you can instant message me through yahoo messenger, my id is venessap1.

• daylily79
    16 years ago

Weldon - two roses right? The Cherokee and ??? for the Pink Grandor and White Pearl DLs...

I replyed but I guess it did not get that way! I would love them...

I cannot wait - I wanted to dig today... I have seedlings to plant up and sooo much to do today and it is way toooooo wet out there... in fact I have a few bushes that have fallen over with all the water.... I just hope these will make it - I am going to try to get all these fixed up when things dry a little.

• weldontx
    16 years ago

Yes, Mitch I have two roses for you. Really want to meet you and ask some q's about daylilies. One is about the motleing you see in the pic of the red seedling.
    Venessa, I'm sending an e-mail.
    Weldon

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

weldon, the base of the pot would have to be just a scrap smaller than 8".

To change your info:
    At the bottom of this page, near the right side of the green stripe, click on "member pages", & then just follow the steps.

• daylily79
    16 years ago

I love DLs . . . not the best with them but I have bred a few here myself and just love them - all of them. At one time I was going to try to bred them here in North Texas - there are no major breeders in the area that I can find ... but my breeding program is a hard road trying to get the little guys to live through their first summer...

I would love to talk DLs with ya!

• weldontx
    16 years ago

tina, I do want some creeping phlox. Mitch, the red DL in the picture is from a seed that I was given. Apache War Dance X Red Loveliness. I have 3 others from other souces that I HOPE will bloom this year.
    Weldon

• daylily79
    16 years ago

Looks good - wish it would not molt like that... how many fans do you have of it? Have you thought of sending it to a friend in TN or AR area to see what it does there? If the molting is an issue here they often do great there and you could get its papers - sure is a nice one. How many blooms per scape? How many scapes per clump?

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm flabbergasted:
    3 of the "backhoe" iris are blooming!

don't know if you can see it in the picture, but the petals have a sort of glistening or glittering look to them.

Soooo.....
    anybody else want some?

(Disclaimer: They may not all be like this, who knows?)

• remuda1
    16 years ago

Sylvia!! Thanks for being such an enabler!! LOL. I will be bringing some stuff that I haven't listed that I got from Carrie's. I think you'll be able to find a thing or six you will like from them. May I have a backhoe iris, please?

Kristi

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sure!

only you may have to take "an iris or six": it's *very* hard to get them separated in that fork-breaking clay!

• remuda1
    16 years ago

Darn...(Snort)!!! If I must.....

Kristi

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As long as I'm enabling, do any of the "bog garden people" want some of these?

(They're a tiny bit deeper in color than the photo looks, & this one got beat up in the storm, so it's a little tattered.)

I have lots of these & will be glad to get some out if somebody wants them.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I wish I had a bog. That is pretty Sylvia

• tina_2
    16 years ago

Weldon - Don't worry , I have some scented creeping phlox for you.

Kristi - Don't worry - I may need some of those plants, from your friend Carrie!
    See y'all there. tina_2

Remember - I may be a tad late, but I will be there.

• remuda1
    16 years ago

Tina, with all I am bringing, I am going to be throwing plants at everyone.....don't be tooooo late ;). Course, I can always resort to slipping them into parked cars as well ":^). I had to contrive a shelving system for the back seat area of my truck. Can't let any of these babies get blasted for 55 miles of highway driving in the bed of the truck. I have some of that old plastic shelving, so yesterday, I cut the legs in half, they fit perfectly and should ride fine :). Need to sit down and sort all the plants though, to see if I need another tier!

Kristi

• debbiedo7
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone I'm getting really excited now .... only 5 days til swap time. WooHoo
    I haven't been on in a while so I had LOTS of reading to catch up on.
    I can't remember who said they had Chocolate Mint but I would love a clump or two, I have mint coming from Tina_2 but I think it's regular mint. I am interested in any & all mints as I am trying to get a mint garden going because the grands love tea parties & I love fresh mint tea. mmmmm

Sylvia
    I saw the list you had for me up in this thread & you missed my backhoe irises (beautiful picture of it too).
    Also will the bog plant be good in a pond? If so I know Donna would love some for her pond.
    Yes I have you down for brownies ;o>

Tina_2
    I have you down for brownies & either banana or pumpkin bread (no nuts)and cannas (which I was informed that they are some kind of Lilly) I'm checking with a friend about getting the cannas for you.
    from you: GH frame, pink 4 o'clock, Grape iris, mint & rectangular pots (if you don't have room to carry them I'll pick them up when I come for the GH)

Dorothy
    I just realized that I don't have you down for anything, I should have an extra purple hyacinth bean vine (only 2 sprouted out of 13 seeds, I will also have Ranunculus some datura & whatever else that pops up between now & friday
    from you: apron

I have a LOT of morning glories springing up if anyone wants some let me know I have dark purple - Grampa Ott & a light purple (lost the name)

It looks like I should have about 6 of the paper shell pecan seedlings - compliments of the squirrels. LOL

I am also planning to go to the other swap near Ft Wth on the 28th, so if you have an abundance of stuff & aren't planning on attending it I would be happy to carry stuff out there to share

See Y'all Saturday
    Debbie

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Since several people will be "coming & going", I think we should draw for prizes at 11:45.

That's late enough that everyone should have arrived, but not so late that people have to leave for afternoon soccer games & such.

(If anyone sees a problem with the time, or has a better idea, please post.)

• sshuang
    16 years ago

Here is what I got for trades. Let me know if something is missing or different. Thanks.

Kay,
    I'll get some peach seedlings and tomato cages. In return, I'll give you pomegranate seedlings, comfrey (1 only), Luffa seedling ( 1 only), multiplying scallions.

Sylvia,
    I'll get a soaker hose and maybe a garden hose. I'll give you rose cuttings, pomegranate seedlings, and a gardenia.

Tina_2,
    I'll get 6" pots, tomato plant, and an oregano plant. I'll give you rose cuttings, strawberry plant, and a luffa plant.

Ambersas,
    I'll get an oregano plant. I'll give you yaupon holly plants.

BTW, I also have deciduous oak tree seedlings if anyone want them.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sounds good to me sshuang; (& I've got you 3 hoses.)

Weldon, I also found a couple of more plant stands, will bring the 3 if Vi has room in her hubs's truck.

I also have a wood cantaloupe crate if anyone's interested;
    it's slatted, might make a nice accent in the garden.

• daylily79
    16 years ago

Alright all - space is everythingso before I get out there and dig on Friday I need any last requests!

BTW - I take most orphan plants, I teach near down town Dallas and take anything extra to school to the kids. Getting them hooked young!

• ambersas
    16 years ago

Debbie, the hyacinth bean sounds great! Got just the place for it too! Datura would be interesting too.

I am so looking forward to this - I have at least 6 beauty berries that survived the transplant and 3 oreganos, and a box of liriope that y'all can divy up! too much to plant in pots and the stuff is really really tough.

Not to mention - still have the aprons to bring too!

Dorothy

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

I'm planning on attending and this will be my first event. I am still filling my beds - so don't have anything established enought yet to divide and share - but - thought i'd come to visit and meet everyone, see how it all works for next year - when i have stuff to trade too!

I know it this saturday april 7 at trinity park (I'm familiar with that place) What time are you meeting AND are we brining food? Pot luck? Snacks only?

Thanks for your help - I'm bringing my friend too!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yay!

You can bring food or snacks to share, several people are bringing stuff, & 1 person is grilling hot dogs in lieu of garden/trade material!

& you don't have to have green things to trade:
    books, magazines, garden junque, crafts, handy stuff, etc.
    all can be traded.

looking forward to seeing you there!

• ambersas
    16 years ago

I know I sent in a post last night, but I haven't seen it. . .

Debbie, hyacinth bean and datura sound great!

Really excited about this swap! I have at least 6 beautyberries that survived the transplant into pots, 3 oregano plants (one for sshuang), and a box of liriope that you can take what you want! It was too much to pot up, and the stuff is really really tough.

Oh, still have aprons too!

Dorothy

• debbiedo7
    16 years ago

Hey Silvia,
    It looks like we both posted at the same time on monday, did you see my reminder for the beautiful backhoe irises & the request for Donna?

I'm getting everything together to take with me. LOL still have the baking but will do that Thursday or Friday so it's nice & fresh!!
    Debbie

• barefoot_in_texas
    16 years ago

Seriously cannot wait until Saturday. This is so much fun. Anybody have orphans they want to trade for hot dogs, soda/water, and chips - I'll take. Just started a new garden area that needs to be filled. Not real picky either.

• barefoot_in_texas
    16 years ago

Bo - the magazines are yours (lunch too). Sylvia - I would love a couple of those bog plants. Oh and I'm bringing something for the prize table.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Debbie, gotcha on the backhoe irises, & the La irises will love it in the boggy edge of a pond, she can just plant them right in the ground.

Brenda-I'll put your name on some La irises, too.

• debbiedo7
    16 years ago

Here is a sample of the prize I'm bringing for the table
    Debbie

Potpourri Angel

• daylily79
    16 years ago

I am getting sooo excited!! I cannot wait and have soooo much to dig out still...

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is the *cutest* angel!

• weldontx
    16 years ago

Sylvia the plant stand with less than 8" shelf will work.
    Here's hoping to see everyone.

Weldon

• remuda1
    16 years ago

Just caught the forecast for Sat. Little nippy! But that's great for the plants! Just wanted to make sure everyone dressed appropriately!

Kristi

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dorothy, I'd sure like to have a beautyberry if you have a spare.

Debbie, I'd love a Grandpa Ott morning glory if there're enough.

Everybody, please double-check your lists to be sure you aren't leaving something or someone out.

I was just going through my many lists (note to self: don't make so many lists), & realized I didn't have anything down for Barb.

"Why?", I wondered to my wondering self. "Barb & I *always* have something going back & forth."

so I looked back through this entire looonnnnggg thread...
    & found it.

don't know how I missed it before, but I did.

(& Barb woulda been maaaad at me!)

To try to keep from missing something/someone again, I'm planning on putting fullpage labels on each person's box.
    Each label will have the person's name & what I'm bringing for him or her, & what they're bringing for me.

The only things that I know of that I planned on bringing that I can't bring are the datura/moonflowers.
    I don't know where they are or what's keeping them, but I do not see one little velvety silvery bluegreen leaf *anywhere*.

frustrating, because I just know, about one minute after the swap, I'll be awash in moonflowers!

note to all:

If you're planning on bringing something for someone, & it looks like it ain't gonna happen, you might post the message here or email your trader, just to let them know, so they won't be disappointed Saturday.

Has anyone heard from Liz?
    I'm still planning on bringing the Kolanchoes & vinca & Asian jasmine for her.

Today is Wednesday, & it's supposed to be cold the next few nights.
    Y'all might want to plan on watering everything thoroughly pretty soon, & putting things together Friday evening/night.

It sure makes Saturday morning easier!

It's nearly here, & my head is spinning, so if you think I may have forgotten something, I probably have, so do not hesitate to say something!

can't wait to see everyone!

• barefoot_in_texas
    16 years ago

Sylvia - do you have an "approximate" head count. I want to make sure I bring enough dogs, drinks, chips, etc.

• remuda1
    16 years ago

Barefoot, don't forget...I am going to do the chips and some dips, I think Barb is doing paper goods....Lunch for all of us is a lot to take on so I wanted to help out a bit :).

To all: I will be posting a final listing of who gets what from me and for me tomorrow and will get it posted then :)

Kristi

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

AWWW Sylvia, I could never be mad at you.

Yepppp, I'm bring plates, plastic silverware (grin) and paper towels.

I have everything in boxes with names on who they go too, learned that from Dear Sylvia.
    Plus I put everything into the garage over the weekend so everyone is safe for trades. If I'm able to get out and dig just a few more thing's I'll try but I have a good amount besides what I've already traded.
    I'm ready for Saturday, only three more days YEA!!!!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barb-the purple flower that I posted above is the Louisiana Iris; it grows great in boggy areas, but you don't have to have a bog.

Mine are in an old plastic wading pool that I sank in the ground until the top edge was level with the ground (it nearly killed me), & then I filled it with soil & planted the La Irises in it.

just like that.

The only supplemental water they get is whatever runs out of the hose when I leave it running for a few minutes for some reason.

This spring they're doing better than ever before, & I think it may be because I covered them every time the temps dropped below about 30.

This winter, for the first time, they didn't die all the way to the ground, they stayed green, & I think it gave them enough of a head start that they're just breathtaking.

It seems that some La Irises do have to have much wetter conditions:
    I got some unknown Louisiana iris from somewhere several years ago, put them *right next to* these purple ones, & they never bloomed.

Never.

Dug them up last autumn, put them in pots & submerged them in the bog, told them to do the best they could, & today I have....brilliant, luscious, yellow flowers!

I've got your name on a purple one.

In fact, just to be on the safe side, here's your list:

Achillea Paprika (red yarrow)
    Louisiana Iris
    Liriope
    full shade plants if I think of any or find any!

• dannab1
    16 years ago

Mitch--I wasn't planning on bringing all the native honeysuckle I dug up but if you think your kids would want it I will bring more! Gotta get them started young and my Kinder kids love the smell!

Debbie- I would love some morning glories.

I still have

--red/coral honeysuckle
    --native honeysuckle
    --native carolina jasmine
    --pots from 6 inch to gallon
    --JUST FOUND!
    ********TEXAS BLUE-EYED GRASS --attached link to my photo, how do you insert photo into message? Somebody email me! donebydanna@verizon.net
    ********native spiderwort

I can dig up Friday if anybody wants some

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dannab1
    16 years ago

Oops! Forgot to mention I am bringing a decorative bird house for the exchange.

• ambersas
    16 years ago

Does blue-eyed grass need a lot of sun?? If not, I would love some!!

Dorothy

• water0125
    16 years ago

Hi All--
    I've been mostly a lurker for a while now. I'm planning to attend on Sat, but what time?? And, where exactly in Trinity? I saw a post that said across from the Botanical Gardens Entrance -- is that correct? I would hate to miss it!

Anyway, I don't have much, as we just moved into this house a little over a year ago, but I want to participate!! :)

I have available (not quite sure whether to just cut and bring -- please point me to any posts that have helpful info on bringing plants):
    -- purple iris
    -- catmint (big hills variety, I believe)
    -- bee balm

I'm looking for:
    -- houseplants (I posted to someone about peace lilies. Would also be interested in mother-in law tongue, cast-iron plant, swiss-cheese plant)
    -- any type of mint
    -- catnip, mosquito-repelling plants!
    -- pomegranite (sp?)

Also, I have kids that will be with me. I saw someone else's post. I have a 3YO and a 6MO that will probably be with me.

Can't wait!
    --Natalie.

• debbiedo7
    16 years ago

dannab1

I have oodles of MG's in fact I have 16 or more little cups of them & more in the garden LOL (Donna wanted to make sure I had lots growing for her to see out her kitchen window so when we were yanking the old vines down she shook the vines to drop more seeds), and of course she thinks it's hilarious as to how over run my garden is. Ya know I just can't throw them in the trash so will be sending a bunch to school with the grands to share with their friends too. LOL
    I have a rooted piece of Hoya I can bring to you if you want it. Also spider plant, 2 varieties of mother of thousands & some babies from my burrows tail. Let me know OK.

I would Love some of your Catmint. Also some of the Bee Balm (what color & heigth?)

Sylvia,

How many vines do you want??? A dozen or more ..... haha ... seriously.

Donna & I will be bringing (some are just sprouted)
    16 Morning Glories (mixed Lavendar & Grandpa Ott) 3 in a cup
    16 starts of Easter Egg plant - 3 in a cup
    5 Black Hollyhocks - 2 in a cup
    2 Black Currant Datura - 1 in a cup
    2 Yellow Datura - 1 in a cup
    3 Ranunculus - 1 in a cup
    7 Lambs Ear - 3 in a cup
    3 Pink Dianthus - 3 in a cup
    several "lillies" (I thought they were Canna's LOL)

If anyone wants I can also bring a clipping from my Lavender Lady Passion flower
    or an unknown variety of passie,
    or a clipping from my shell vine
    (let me know or my shears won't touch em)

If anyone has moon flowers that aren't white I'd be interested in getting one.

Sorry I'm so long winded tonight,
    Debbie

• debbiedo7
    16 years ago

Ooops I left part out & mixed things up. .... Sorry for the confusion but if you want a houseplant too dannab_1 just let me know.

dannab_1

I was interested in your Carolina Jasmine & Spiderwort

Water0125 - Natalie

I was referring to you when I said I would Love some of your Catmint. Also some of the Bee Balm (what color & heigth?)
    also I have a rooted piece of Hoya I can bring to you if you want it. Also spider plant, 2 varieties of mother of thousands & some babies from my burrows tail. Let me know OK

Debbie

• dannab1
    16 years ago

Debbie,
    I will dig you up some spiderwort and save you some jasmine.

I would love a start of mother of thousands, an easter eg plant and I can never turn down cutting of passion vines, mine are barely starting to come up.

Dorothy- I read that the blue-eyed grass can grow in the shade but mine is in the pasture in full sun. Forgot to mention it is only about 6 inches tall. A tiny beauty! It was blooming everywhere last spring in the middle of the drought out here. I will dig you some up Friday.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Natalie, it's just north of I-30 on University.

If you exit I-30, go north on University, & you'll see the entrance to Trinity Park.

Turn in & follow the trail around til you see us.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Natalie, I can bring you some chocolate mint & some peppermint.

Debbie, I'll take all the morning glories that are left over:
    I have a ton of ugly fencing to cover, but if it doesn't get covered this summer, it's no big deal.

I would like some black hollyhock, never had those before, never even seen them "in person"!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!