Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maden_theshade

WANTED: Haves and Wants for North Austin Plant Swap May 19th

maden_theshade
17 years ago

Hey all you Swappers!

Our plant swap is Saturday, May 19 from 11am to 3pm! It's time to start thinking on what we want and what we have to bring! Get your sprouts ready!

Our Swap is being held in Anderson Mill West. This neighborhood is just off Hwy 620 and El Salido. There is a Wal-Greens and HEB Plus close by - for last minute trips for that forgotten something!

If you are coming, please email me the number of people in your party and I'll send you directions, the agenda, etc and add your headcount to the total. Go ahead and post here what you're planning to bring! You may inspire some people to come! If you are looking for something, post that here too! You may trigger someone's memory!

Suggestions on things to bring for trade: seeds, potted seedlings/cuttings, transplants, garden junque, garden supplies and garden themed stuff.

Suggestions on other things to bring: potluck dish to share, plates, utensils, sodas and cups for your party, cooler to take plants home in, folding table and chairs, wagon, camera, notepad, a friend!

Hope to see many of you there!

Comments (23)

• drasaid
    16 years ago

I would also like to ask for any garden type stuff-old leaky buckets, troughs, tubs, sinks; stuff no longer useful except as a planter. I'd swap some cool stuff to get a bit old drysink. I have only one and it is the most useful thing I have. Came with a nice rusty stand too. So if you don't have plants, bring what you have-antlers, rocks, et al! I will bring the stuff I have (unless something comes up, which, alas, it often does......

• maden_theshade
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll be bringing some garden junque and lots of seeds!

• trsinc
    16 years ago

I intend to bring day lilies, iris, coreopsis, 1 mexican mint marigold, and maybe some native verbena.

maden, how many people have said they are coming?

• maden_theshade
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HAVE: I'll be bringing potted horseherb and wood sorrel (oxalis) bulbs.

More to come soon!

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Ooh, what color are the daylillies?
    I have baby

Rock rose
    Baby Purple Coneflower
    Couple of colors of Salvia greggii
    White Datura
    Mystery plants from Marbridge, lol (snatched seeds) I always told them tho, lol
    Iris bulbs
    Flame Acanthus
    Winecups
    Maybe more, can't think of anything else right now
    jolana

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Jolana,

The day lilies are the traditional pale orange. Nothing fancy. They have been growing at the house I grew up in for about 40 years. I dug them up from that house and brought to my mom (who planted them to begin with), about 18 years ago I guess. Then she brought some to me a year or two ago. So, kind of a neat lineage.

What color Iris are you bringing? I'm bringing the deep dark purple kind that you are always asking rcnaylor about. At least, they look very similar. Want some?

You are bringing a lot! I'm just bringing a little. Didn't have tons to begin with, then I fell a couple of days ago and I think I may have a broken rib. UGh, lol.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

OMG, are they wrapped? You didn't go to the DR? Bad girl

They are the Afterglow and if I get around to it, old yellows ones, but can't promise.
    Most of my plants are babies but grow fast
    You have the irises like RC, he never did tell me what their names were, LOL
    I would love some. What do you want in return?
    jolana

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Hey girlie,

I really don't want anything in return. I will put your name on the irises and if you have anything leftover from the swap, I will pick from that! I love wine cups, but understand if they are all spoken for.

No, I didn't go to the dr. yet. I think think they would just poke me and say, "Yeah, you have a broken rib." So what's the use in the trip and the 30 dollar copay? Wine seems to help, lol. I never knew that wine was a pain killer!!! If it really is a broken rib, I don't think I can stay drunk for the 2 months it takes to heal! Anyway, at least I can get my dh to do the weeding!!!!!! LOL I'm to "sickly" to do it right now. :)

Look forward to seeing you!

Tammy
    trsinc

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

LOL, well, whatever helps, I guess
    I will get you some winecups. DH mowed today so they might be butchered but will spring back, LOL
    Anything else? Did you want some of the irises? They have been stored but the rhizomes are still hard and healthy

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Hey, Jolana, you can just "fluff up" the wine cups, and they will be good to go. LOL.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Hehehehe, hey why didn't I think of that, LOL
    That'll work, hehehehe

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Sure, I'd love some irises. I don't know what my dark purple ones, like rc has, are named.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

That's okay that they are named, pretty is pretty, LOL

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Hey, by the way, I have some snow white iris. They have a slightly yellow beard. Do you want some of those? Didnt really think of offering them because I thougth they were so common. But, if you want some white, I will bring some. They usually bloom in February.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

My MIL got all of my white, LOL
    so yes, lol

What are y'all bringing to eat?

• trsinc
    16 years ago

I'm just bringing cheesecake with a berry topping. Hoping you all like that! lol. If not, it's just more for my hubby to eat! He as a sweet tooth the size of Dallas! What were you thinking of?

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

I don't know,something that will keep, LOL

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

You know what? I went to bed thinking of the cheesecake and have thought about it several times since I woke up, lol
    I don't make it anymore since DH's Dr would kill me if I did

Maden, I just want to thank you for doing this and I'm so looking forward to meeting you
    jolana

• trsinc
    16 years ago

lol, I almost decided to bring something else! Glad I stuck to it. But, it's store bought. Hope that's ok. See ya tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to meeting whoever shows up!

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I won't be able to come tomorrow after all. Had family come in town tonight unexpecteldy. Anyone I promised cuttings to can email me with their address and I will mail them. Sorry I can't go but maybe I will be able to make one of the others soon.

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Jolana, you have mail! :)

• drgulley
    16 years ago

I had emailed for directions and general info but never heard back from anyone. I am really interested in going to the next one. Can someone tell me when it might be and where? My email is dianne_gulley@sbcglobal.net.

• garden_path
    16 years ago

Hello, I am new to this forum and am interested in the garden swap. How did it fare? I would like to participate next Spring but need some idea on the success of it all (how much to actually pot up). Thanks!

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor