Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

o
WANTED: Ft Worth Swap April 12, Part Deux!

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 08 at 20:49

Wow!

We're already at 150 posts on Part Une,
& we still have about 4 weeks to go!

went out today & puttered around & found that I can bring lots of:

Henbit: a resilient little plant that reliably bursts into purple blooms every spring.

Begger's Lice: exhibits Nature's clever way of spreading seeds by sticking them to your clothes/your dog's fur/everything in the universe, in such a way that they cannot be dislodged unless you sit down & pick them out one by one.

Clover: returns year after year.
pretty green foliage in the spring. Just don't let the cows eat it!

Dandelions: reputed to be a wonderful herb for tea.
thrives here, pretty yellow blooms in the spring.

Please let me know what you have to trade for these beauties.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Ft Worth Swap April 12, Part Deux!

HAHA, I have henbit out the wahzoo...I though you had something good to trade.

Only thing I don't have is the begger's lice that a nice name for them HA......My dad calls them stick tight LOL.

Tina, I'll get a pic up soon as I can. I'm hoping the rain storm isn't as bad as they say, 3 to 5 inches :(

I only need one or two inches, some areas of my yard is just now starting to dry out from last rain.

o

Forgot to mention I have cleome for trade.

o

Anyone need artemesia???

o

Ahhh, if only there were a market for henbit ... Is anyone going to be bringing hosta divisions by any chance?

o

• Posted by alley 7b Ft. Worth, Tx (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 10:27

Hostas are coming up great. I can bring some to the swap. Don't know what kind though. Gingers are looking iffy. They were coming up and then we had snow. I'll have to see about them (I think that I had mommyfox or rebecca and tina slotted for some). I am redoing my kitchen and have temporarily lost my trade list. I hope I don't have to redo it.

o

Y'all are laughing about having dandelions to trade - but being Italian (or maybe it's because I had parents who went through the Depression) I grew up eating dandelions in salads. My grandfather would pick them on his walks through "the dump" - the abandoned coal mine across the street from our house - and mom would clean them up and serve them as a salad with oil/vinegar dressing.

I like them so much that I bought some at Central Market a couple weeks ago. Some had viable roots on them, so I stuck them in a pot and have been babying them - and now have dandelion leaves to harvest in my salad!

So, one man's weed is this woman's salad...

Lin

o

Lin, my relatives all thought I was nuts when they found out I bought irises one year;

I'm gonna tell 'em about your dandelions!

Carrie, I don't wanna be a hog (well, really, I *am* a hog, I just don't want to *sound* like one), but if no one else wants it, I can *always* use artemesia!

Our trade is somewhat lopsided, though:
I have you down for a crinum.

PLMK what else I can bring you, or I'll just bring you extra crinum(s).

thanks!

o

Sylvia, if I have things to share, am happy to do so. Artemesia, it is !!!.

o

Sylvia
Did you forget to put me down for
your irises & lemon mint too
Debbie

HEY YA'LL IF'N YOU HAVEN'T PICKED OUT YOUR NAME TAG YA NEED TO DO IT SOON. IF YA NEED ANOTHER LOOK SEE HER THEY ARE JUST LET ME KNOW THE CHOICE YA MADE
DEBBIEDO7 AT SBCGLOBAL.NET

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k298/debbiedo7/GWnametagsamples2jpeg.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k298/debbiedo7/GWnametagsamplesjpeg.jpg

o

Debbiedo, I can't see the name tags, so just pick me out one please and I promise to wear it. Cheryl aka Seamommy

o

Hi Debbie - Here's what I had or use the butterflies one of yours. I really, like the color lavender.
Thanks - tina_2

o

Sylvia, I don't think there will be a shortage of artemesia - I'm bringing some too, so if Carrie runs short you can have some of mine!

I was once at war with the dandelions in my yard. Couldn't get rid of them! Then one day I saw my neighbor's kid sitting in his yard, blissfully blowing the seeds off the dandelions in HIS yard ... and the wind blowing them right into mine. I gave up then. I haven't used them in salads, but I've heard the tea from the roots is good, and has some folklore around it about ghosts. One woman's salad is another woman's spirit-summoning tea?

o

I once did a public television show where the lunch was catered by a very high-brow restauranteur (sniff) whose chef served us a gourmet selection of salad greens grown in his own garden and included dandelion greens, nasturtiums and poke salad. Ahem! It was delicious. Imagine my surprise when they became indignant just because I licked the bowl! Aren't they strange? Cheryl

o

Very strange, Cheryl, I thought EVERYONE licked their salad bowl..... well, I actually use my fingers to get the last of the good stuff - then lick my fingers. Does that count???

o

I think that dandelion tea is a diuretic, hence the common name we applied to them as kids, "pee-the-beds".

Getting back to trades, does anyone have any violets? I would love to get some growing in what passes for lawn in my new place....

Also, Cheryl, I have some other water plants coming up that would be invasive if released (water hyacinths and water lettuce) - would you like some of those? They come with FREE! snails and (most likely) duckweed.

Lin

o

Oh Lin
If the duck weed is that little tiny leaves then I want some. I was so dissapointed last year. I got some from the trade & it got left outside with all the other new plants & when I realized it the next day .... well ya know it was cooked. I want to grow it for my little fishies.
I can't remember who I got it from - seems like it might of been Kay - but not sure.

AND DON"T FORGET if you want guppies speak up now - I'll only carry what has been claimed.

Anyhoos ya'll, I'm now printing the first page of name tags soooo please choose yours so I can get them all done ;o)
I just got the choices from Tina_2 & Mommyfox.

SeaMommy - here they are pasted into here
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Lin, I would love some of the water hyacinth - lost mine a few years back, and have just never replaced it.

o

OK, Debbie, I'll look for small duck weed (I have some giant too, but I think the small is in a separate pond).

Carrie, I've got a piece of water hyacinth with your name on it!

Lin

o

Lin,

I have lots of violets and they are especially beautiful this year. How many would you like?

Dorothy

o

Dorothy, if you have enough for a nice gallon pot that would be GREAT! What can I swap you for them?

BTW, I think that my 'variegated' (actually center-striped) aspidistra might be this variety .. .. .. Aspidistra elatior 'Akebono'. It looks similar anyway.

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Aspidistra elatior 'Akebono'

o

I have some mexican petunia (chi chi) Does anyone have Victoria Blue Salvia to spare?

o
Where is the plant swap going to be?

I'm new here, so excuse the double post.

o

Lin, I'd love any water plants you can spare. My new puppy has eaten my water lilies and every thing else I had in there. I only have one little pond, 50 gal., and I had to put a fence around it to keep her out of it. I loved the duckweed you gave me a couple years ago, and so did my koi. I think they ate it all in a couple of days. Guess I need to make a refuge for it where they can't reach it. Small or giant, I think the koi aren't particular, they just like their salad. Water hyacinths would be great too.

Anybody interested in an apricot colored flowering quince? I think I might have some ready by the 12th.

Cheryl

o

Cheryl, I'd love some apricot-flowering quince if you have enough!

Sounds luscious!

still looking for evergreen trees / large shrubs for my brother & sis-in-law's place, for a wind break/ privacy screen:

they're near Terrell, where the soil is more acidic & sandy, so pines & such will thrive there.

o

Cheryl, I'll pull together several water plants for you (but probably not duckweed since the koi will eat it :) - in addition to the pickerel weed, I'll give some water hyacinth, water lettuce, and some oxygenating plant that I don't know what it is. I'll see if I can get some cyperus involucratus (umbrella sedge) to start you off (Koi don't eat that) and some other tall blooming plant - I have to take an axe to the root balls though so I may be on crutches :) I would love some flowering quince if you have some.

Sylvia, I have some tiny cedars and pines on my land in Quitman, I can dig them up for your DB/SIL but it will take years for them to provide privacy OR a wind break - do you think they'll want some?

Lin

o

Cheryl, I would love a quince, also, if you have enough. I have only the red, and they were beautiful this Spring, but are beginning to leaf out now.

o

I have to ask this at the risk of being kicked out of the swap, BUT - does anyone want any lyre leaf sage?????

o

YES! I LOVE lyre-leaf sage, and I think it might make a nice ground cover in some of my shady areas.

Also, I just found out that water hyacinth and water lettuce are illegal in Texas, so what I have can't be them since I got them here.

Lin

o

Lin I have two lyre-leaf sage if you want them too.

o

WOW! Thanks for the offer! What can I give you in exchange? More Spanish bluebells? Leucojum aestivum (summer snowflake aka lily of the valley on steroids)?

Lin

o

Hey, Barb, I asked first --- LOL. I will bring Lyre leaf sage, and you can have as much as you want, Lin. And your water hyacinths are probably just that as they have not always been illegal in Texas. I really do not understand why as mine would die in the winter anyway if not protected. I understand they can be a problem in the waterways farther south, so perhaps it is just a precaution against what could happen if not controlled. I will promise to keep mine out of any waterways --- just my own little pond.

o

Lin, I don't need anything extra, just wanted to find a home for them. With Carrie and I your ground will be covered twice as fast.

o

But, Lin, I would love to have the duckweed anyway. Koi are prone to nibble green plants in the water and I'm OK with that. I was going to isolate it so it would have a chance to spread.

I asked about floating plants at Weatherford Gardens and he told me all floating water plants are illigal to sell in Texas because they get into public waterways and cannot be controlled. So I guess the only way to get them is by trades...like ours! Hooray!!

Anyway, so I was hoping to get some of the duckweed and put it in a screen dish in the pond and use it to feed the koi from time to time. And the water hyacinths and water lettuce too.

I have 11 of the flowering quince and they are very tiny sprigs that came up from some roots. The tallest one is only about 7", but they're fast growers and they should start blooming next Spring. When they're not in bloom they are a very pretty shrub, but a little thorny.

Weldon, I wish I could remember which rose it was you gave me last fall. I forgot to write it down because I put a little name tag on it, and then when we had all those storms the tag blew off the rose. But the plant is very healthy and getting ready to bloom. If it blooms by the time we meet again, do you think you could identify it for me?

Ya'll know that this coming weekend is the Botanic Gardens Plant Sale, dontcha? It's so much fun, if you haven't ever been to one you should try it.

Cheryl

o

I have duckweed on my large stock pond each year, and can hardly wait for the mallards to come through to eat it all away --- great for smaller ponds, but a real nuisance for larger ones. Had I have known, I could have saved you some.

o

Finally things are starting to grow again so I can see what I might bring to the swap. Living under trees mostly I've been concentrating on filling up blank spaces with shrubs, and finding ground covers that will take off on sandy clay - not too many flower gardens. But, we do have a couple of small ponds and a bog garden.

From the bog though, I have some lysimachia congestiflora (dense flowered loosestrife) that spreads nicely.

Also, a very aggressive bog plant - Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' which is kind of neat but is pretty sneaky - been growing underground all over the bog this winter.

I'll have visors to trade - if I can get a design small enough to sew on them.

Also, anyone need liriope or oregano?

If anyone has lyreleaf sage available, would love to try it --- lots and lots of spaces to fill with ground cover instead of bare clay and leaves!

Dorothy

o

Lin - I would love to have water hyancinth or water lettuce. Really any water plants that you can spare. My poor little pond looks pitiful this year. Anybody with extra lyre leaf sage, I'll take some. Thanks.

Oh, and speaking of salads - has anyone tried the new Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch dressing. That stuff is to die for. I put it on salads, on burgers, on sandwiches, etc. It is really primo. Maybe I'll put that on my list for lunch at the swap - use it as a dip.

o

Please be sure to get a Dallas Morning News on Friday March 28:

they're running a story about the FW Swap, including photos of Weldon's gardens!

They're also putting in directions to the swap, so we may get some new traders-

be sure to bring *lots* of stuff to trade!

o

I plan to bring almost all the water plants that I have (except for the ones I'm using for a greywater wetland) - there's no room for fish in my little ponds! I'm going to keep a start of all the floaters and "gift" the rest of them. I'll have plenty of the following:
: pickerel weed (Cheryl, barefoot)
: water lettuce (barefoot)
: water hyacinth (Carrie, Cheryl);

If your name's not on there and you want some please remind me!

I will bring whatever duckweed/azolla I can scrounge up for Debbie and Cheryl, and a Cyperus with Cheryl's name on it. I'll have plenty of oxygenators for anyone at the swap, and I'll have a pot or two of golden acorus and MAYBE some Thalia that aren't yet claimed - holler out or stop by my table to see what appeals to you.

Dorothy, I'd like to try some loosestrife for my little greywater wetland if you have some...for your shade, I have some arum italicum that is REALLY nice in shade - it comes up in fall/winter and dies down in summer. Nice arrow-shaped leaves (some with a pattern) and red berries on a stalk. They're small but they'll do well with little to no supplemental water.

Cheryl - when is the botanic gardens sale??

Thanks!

Lin

o

Well, If I'm able I'll dig up and big batch of obedient plant. This makes a great ground cover. Mine only gets sun in the evening.

I don't have as much this year as before cause I'm using most to fill in bare spots :)

So far this is what I have in trades:
For.. Carrie
Hot Lips salvia
Larkspur

For ..Julie..mommyfox
Rose Of Sharon white
Cutting of purple ROS
Larkspur
Butter and egg

For ..Alley..

Salvia.. I didn't write down which one you wanted?

For ..Lin..Barkingdogwoods
Yellow columbine
Red salvia

For me ...Spanish Hyacinths

For ..barefootintexas...
Red salvia

I'll have to get back to you all on the red salvia to see if I have enough coming up.

I have a greggi that I dug up, it has roots on it but it's looking a little sad at this moment but within the next few weeks I will know if it's going to survive. It is an Autumn sage salvia.

I also may have seedling started of cosmos 3 to 4 feet tall. I'll get back with y'all if they do good.

Barb

o

Here's a link to the Ft Worth Botanic Gardens Calendar of Events.

The Ft Worth Iris Society's *show*, not sale, is the same day as the swap, so we can go to both events without the temptation to try to bring home more plants than we can stuff into our cars!

The Iris Sale is in August or September, & it's a lot of fun;
tons of gorgeous irises & lots of knowledgeable people to enable, I mean help.

The Botanic Gardens Spring Plant Sale is April 19, the week-end following our swap, so we can go to both events & make "plant pigs" of ourselves 2 week-ends in a row!

Oink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ft Worth Botanic Gardens Plant Sale

o

Lin, I would love to try the Thalia.

o
RE: Here's my list......

Hi all. Here is my list for the swap:

pre trades -

Weldon - brug, sw. pot. tuber -------- for me brugs.

Dorothy / dirtmomma - vinca vine ------- for me ?

Sylvia - privet, tree seedlings ---- for me canna, lemon mint,yarrow.

Alley - brugs ------- for me , canna, ginger?, melampodium.

Danna - passi cuttings ---- for me turk's cap.

Julie - vinca vines ---- for me violet's , artemesia, algerian ivy.

Lin - castiron plant, vinca vine. ----- for me castiron plant.

****** For the little gardeners - I am making some bags with seeds, surprises, candy and whatever I can find.

Also --- I will bring :

1. a few pot watering bottles.

2. lots of - multi colored tulip bulbs.

3. several really nice gardening books - covering most/ many areas of gardening with beautiful pictures and how to instructions.

4. assortment of fertilizers.

5. a couple of bog iris plants for pond or land - they get large.

6. a couple of luffah plant vines , the kind that make the large luffahs that you use in the bath.

7. about 30 or so jewel of opar plants.

8. *** cuttings by request - of mock orange shrub and red oleander shrub.

Here's what I need:

1. coconut liners for the metal hanging baskets.

2. Perlite for houseplants.

3. Canadium sphagnum peat / comes in a bag.

4. nice painted ceramic pots / medium size.

5. extra large - like 5 gallon or bigger planters - preferably plastic.

6. gift cards from - lowe's , home depot , walmart , etc.
Also, will consider other offers.

Please email me directly - with any questions as
I don't always get to check garden web. Thanks - tina_2

http;//myworldebay.com/mizz_t2

o
RE: forgot to mention....

Hi - Forgot to mention - If anyone needs Mary Kay make up/ products just email me. I, can get you a great deal! Thank you - tina_2

o

How do I get in on this? It look like great fun!

o

Hi folks!

Just some clarification on trades -

Barb - I don't think I can use the red salvia - I have very limited sun that I can water, so unless it grows street-side in sand I'll have to pass for now.

Tina - Thanks, but I don't need any vinca, I have some here that I'll move. If there's something of mine (beside the aspidistra) that you'd like to swap I would like some Jewel of Opar...

Carrie - I put your name on the Thalia. Its bloom is very pretty!

I have my trades in a spreadsheet so I'm going to find a way to put it in an email.

Later!
Lin

o

Welcome, weenerdogg!

The way you get in is just...jump in!

There's another post somewhere on here that describes the way the swap works;
it has the words "do not post trades" in the title.

It explains the basics & gives some good tips.

You can post your wants & offers here on this thread, or you can just show up, as you wish!

& be sure to read the first "Ft Worth Spring Swap" thread, too, to see what people mentioned on that one.

Once there are 150 responses on a thread, it "closes";
although you can still read it, you can't post to it, & you have to start a new thread.

(which is why this one has the word "deux" in the title!)

If you want to have lunch, be sure to bring something to trade for it;
Brenda & her husband Ruben trade lunches for plants!

& if you want to participate in the drawing, bring something to contribute.

(Ideas: In the past, we've had gazing balls, garden art, pool floats, a collapseable leaf bag, nice books, attractive containers, bird feeders/baths, etc.)

People bring all kinds of things to trade;
some start plants especially for the swap,
some dig up their extras that need to be thinned,
some bring homemade soaps/candles/lotions/baked goods!

so....

What kinda stuff are you looking for?

(& what kinda stuff do you have too much of?)

o

Hello. I think I have worked up enough nerve to come to the plant swap this year. I am also bringing my 4-year old son with me. He loves plants too! I have been potting up stuff for about a month now. Here is what I have to offer:

Lambs Ear
Ajuga
Lysimachia - Golden Globes (rooted cuttings just recently potted up)
St. Johns Wort
Sedum Angelina
Sedum Autumn Joy
Sedum Balticum or Brevofolium (not sure which one)
Hollyhocks
Several different types of houseplants
Aloes (not the usual kind)
Ghost Plant
Savlias (not sure of the names)
Tansy
Yarrow (1) (White)
Airplane plant (green)
Variegated Pineapple Mint
Daylilies (noids)
Oleander (white) (cuttings)
Osteosporum (cuttings just recently rooted and potted up)
Rock rose paronia
Cannas - Tropicana and King Humbert Red
Queen Anne's Lace
Watch Chain Plant (1)
Bee Balm

That's all that I can think of right now. I will have to check when I get home and see if I named off everything. Thanks.

Darlene

o

Darlene,

I'd love some lamb's ear and queen anne's lace! I've got a great big list a ways back of what I have to offer in return. It's also listed on my exchanges page.

o

Welcome, Darlene!

Wow! what a great list!

I'd love some St John's Wort;
let me know what I can bring you in exchange.

can't remember exactly what I have, but I know I'll have:

historic irises
cannas (lemon yellow Conestoga, coral indica, maybe some green-leaved Wyoming, maybe some brilliant yellow with orange)
mint: chocolate, spearmint, lemon, maybe a little bit of variegated pineapple
Kwanzo daylilies
white yarrow
aloe if it roots by then
3 kinds of vining vinca for ground cover under trees:
green, variegated, & vinca minor with small glossy leaves
goldenrod
obedient plant
lamb's ears
maybe a couple of Golden Rain tree seedlings
blue mistflower (when *is* that stuff going to sprout??)
4 o'clocks if they're up by then
tall Mexican petunias, purple
sedum Autumn Joy
liriope, good edging plant, makes small lavender flowers
wandering Jew, variegated & maybe some purple, the perennial kind
maybe some water plants, I think they're arrowhead plant & umbrella something-or-other

If the morning glories sprout, I'll bring them.

& I have seeds for morning glories & celosia.

Whew!

o

Hi Darlene - Can I have the canna ''Tropicana'' and ''King Humbert'' Red ? Check my list or tell me what you are looking for. Thank you - tina_2

o

Darlene, WELCOME. I would be interested in the oestosporum. sedum Angelina, white yarrow, queen Anne's lace,and variegated purple mint.
I will have roses, kalanchoes of varied colors, a few ice plants, a pincushon flower or 2, maybe a brug, spiderwart-- a white and some blue, & WHO knows what else when it's not midnight and I can see!!

Weldon

o

Darlene, that is a great list, I would like some of the Bee Balm, and still working on my list.

o
My list

This is what I have promised so far (but if I have promised you something, and your name is NOT on this list, please email me):

Sylvia - Ice plant cuttings
Tall red cannas
Artemesia

Lin --- Wood fern
Elephant ears

Weldon- B&B salvia
Daylilies
Artemesia
Red fairy rose

Cheryl-- Creeping Jenny
Ajuga

Barbara--Daylilies (if you don't pick them up before)

o

Mommyfox, SylviaTexas, Tina2, Weldon, and Carrie 751, I will put your names on the plants that you requested and bring them to the swap. Weldon, it's variegated Pineapple Mint, not variegated purple mint. Is that okay?

I also would like to add the following to my list:

Artemesia - Oriental Limelight
Horsetail (2)
Sedum Kamtschtka
Obedient Plant - Pink
Mother of Thousands - I know, I know.
Mexican Petunia
Lemon Balm

Thanks,
Darlene

o

Ooh, googled that sedum, & it's gorgeous!

If you have enough, I'd like to have some...

but what do you want to take home with you?

Weldon, variegated pineapple mint is *wonderful*!
It's beautiful, & it smells just like a pineapple (well, a minty pineapple)!

o

Hi Darlene - Sounds great! What can I bring you from the list ? Plmk. Thank you - tina_2

1. a few pot watering bottles.

2. lots of - multi colored tulip bulbs.

3. several really nice gardening books - covering most/ many areas of gardening with beautiful pictures and how to instructions.

4. assortment of fertilizers.

5. a couple of bog iris plants for pond or land - they get large.

6. a couple of luffah plant vines , the kind that make the large luffahs that you use in the bath.

7. about 30 or so jewel of opar plants.

8. *** cuttings by request - of mock orange shrub and red oleander shrub.

o

Special trade only. I have 3 Shepherd's Hook Plant Hanger's
these would be great for bird feeders, really good for humming bird feeder. Not for hanging heavy plants. They are about 6 feet tall.

o

Anyone need gloriosa daisy? It can be a little invasive.

o
Darlene, just re-read

I just reread this thread, and if I am not too late, I would love some of the Lamb's ear, Darlene.

o

Darlene - I'll trade you lunch for bee balm, lemon balm and St. John's Wort.

o

Sylvia, I would be happy to bring you some Sedum Kamtschtka. I ask for nothing in return. Consider it my thank you to you for organizing the swap.

Carrie751, I would be happy to bring you some lamb's ear. I would love some of your gloriosa daisies if you don't mind.

Barefoot in Texas, I would love to trade you bee balm, lemon balm, and St. John's Wort for lunch. I think I will be getting the better end of the deal :)

Tina2, I would love some mock orange cuttings. Thank you.

Weldon, I would love a pincushion plant and maybe a brugg cutting if you have one. Thanks.

o

Hi Carrie -

I would LOVE some gloriosa daisy. Since I'm moving to the country, I am no longer bound by a city lot, only by the ability (or need) to water in the sands of Quitman outside Lake Lydia.

I found a plant that's been propagating itself at my place over there - Kerria Japonica (I bought it from a nursery over there, he didn't know the name but it was obvious when it flowered). It forms a large shrub, and every place its long arching branches touch the ground it's rooting (so I'll have to move it somewhere where it can take over). It's really breathtaking in the spring (it's been in bloom for a week or so that I've seen it, but I am not there every day so I don't know when it started).

Unfortunately my double Kerria isn't (yet) propagating itself so I have none of that to offer.

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Kerria Japonica (single form)

o

Anyone have Oak Leaf Hydrangea or some Heuchera?

o

Darlene and Lin, you are both down for Gloriosa daisy, and Darlene, if I get some help before the swap, I can bring you a mock orange seedling ---not sure if I can dig one up or not.

o

Lin,
is that Kerria Japonica you have, the single variety? If so, I'd love one of those suckers! I have just the place for it.

I potted up a bunch of violets for you.

Dorothy

o

Dorothy, yes it is the single variety - I've got one of those suckers with your name on it! I was hoping I'd have something for you in exchange for the violets...

Lin

o

Lin, I just googled the Kerria Japonica, and it is beautiful. Only if you have an extra one, please.
I am also going to have a few daylilies - they are small (from the sides of the mother plants)-- if anyone would like them. Does anyone other the Cheryl want Creeping Jenny?

o

Is creeping jenny the same thing as creeping charlie??? :-) I am ALWAYS in the market for ground covers that will grow in light shade and imperfect soil!

Dorothy

o

Carrie, I've got a Kerria Japonica for you. I pulled up 3 that had rooted, I am sure there are more if there's interest. I really, really like this plant!

Lin

o

Oh, Lin I'd like two if you can spare them.

I looked out front and I do have some lady in red salvia coming up.
I have two others wanting salvias and it looks like I'll have plenty for you all.

Barefootintx, I think this saliva would do in your hell strip area. Anyway it wouldn't hurt to try it.

o

Hi everyone! I'm Sally. I've never been to the Ft Worth swap, but it sounds great, and easy to find. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. I think I know some of you already! :)

My Haves:

white daffodils
cuttings--[Fancy-leafed english ivy, variegated small-leafed english ivy (green and white), creeping fig]
cast iron plant
"Spineless" prickly pear, yellow blooms
creeping "spineless" cactus, yellow blooms
Redbud seedlings (a few)
Chinese photinia tree seedlings
passion vine - cerulean blue (a few)
strawberry begonia
wood fern, grows in sun and shade
blue carpet sedum
fall aster
salvia guarantica (tall purple spikes) (a few)
variegated vinca (snow on the mountain)
2 potted dark red miniature roses
yellow archangel (shade plant)
pond plants - [azolla, umbrella palm, variegated water celery, bog iris, water lilies (unknown, probably yellow or white)]
leeks
winter green onions (walking)

tropicals:
rope hoya cuttings (a couple)
green and variegated hoya cuttings (a few)
curly bonnie spider plant babies (a few)

My Wants:

hen and chicks
orchids
red flowering quince
larkspur plants
Queen Anne's lace
forsythia
coneflower (Rudbeckia)
Texas mountain laurel
yarrow (any but white)
succulents
water lettuce, water hyacinth
taro
purple or lime green sweet-potato vine
crinum lilies
brugs
iris - including early purple
crysanthemum
ice plant -red flowers
columbine (any except yellow)
Kerria Japonica sounds nice :)

o

Welcome planopondnut,
I'm Barbara glad to see you join us. I'd like some passion vine - cerulean blue. I have larkspur for trade.

o

welcome Planopondnut - I'm Dorothy B.

I'll exchange crinums (fall bloomer) for your cast iron plants.
thanks.

o

planopondnut
I have lots of shade and clay - would love the yellow archangel - even though someplaces call it a noxious aggressive weed!

I do have Mrs. Chambers brug for trade or an embroidered visor?

Dorothy

o

WELCOME DARLENE & SALLY
** PLEASE NOTE I HAVE REQUESTS FOR YOU IN THIS LIST HE -HE **

Darlene / dcarpenter, ____ME NAME TAG **PLEASE CHOOSE
Aloes (not the usual kind), Variegated Pineapple Mint, Daylilies (noids), Watch Chain Plant, Rock rose paronia (couldnt find it when I googled but Id like to try it), canna ''Tropicana'' and ''King Humbert'', Sedum Angelina, Sedum Kamtschtka

Sally / planopondnut ____ME NAME TAG (please choose), hens & chicks, burrow tail
YOU -
passion vine - cerulean blue, wood fern, strawberry begonia, blue carpet sedum

Lin / barkingdogwoods ____ ME NAME TAG
Rain lillies, both of the types of narcissus, Obedient plants, some of your elderberry plants & some of your petunia's, Spanish Bluebells, Summer Snowflakes (leucojum aestivum)

Carrie /carrie751 _____ME NAME TAG **PLEASE CHOOSE
gloriosa daisy

Julie / Mommyfox _____ME NAME TAG
Yellow ice plant, phrag orchid (division)

Alley / _____ME NAME TAG -***please choose(need first name too)
Donna would like hostas

April, (Denton trade??)
I'd love to trade for a few of the Shea Butter Lipbalm. My grands always have chapped lips. I'm sure that they will want to be there with me

Sylvia / sylviatexas, ____ME NAME TAG, brownies, GUPPIES!
mauve crinums, Sedum Autumn Joy

Dorothy / ambersas ____ME NAME TAG
one for me & one for Donna visor with the GW embroidery - to match our aprons. ;o)

Sedumqueen, (havent seen any posting since your original???)
I would love a start of the swisscheese philo.

Weldon / weldontx ____ME NAME TAG - bread
Any of your wonderful everbloom roses ;0), ice plant, (SEEMS LIKE I ASKED FOR SOMTHING ELSE TOO)

I can't remember who said that they would bring me red ice plant. was it you Weldon??

DID I MISS ANYONE ELSE?????? PLMK

REMEMBER ABOUT THE GUPPY OFFER -
(HOMELESS GUPPIES * Will swim for Food & Home *)

o

Hi Sally -

Welcome aboard! I have water lettuce and water hyacinth for you, and will look to see if there is another Kerria for you (the ones I already brought over here are spoken for, but I'm hopeful there are enough). I would like a passion vine if you have enough and some walking onions. If you don't have passion vines maybe some wood ferns instead?

Hi Barb -

I know I have at least one Kerria for you, will look to see if I have another.

Lin

o
*****name tags ****

GW name tags

1. Brenda / barefoot brenda
Arbor with garden bench

2. Ruben / the cook
Cook at grill

3. Danna / dannab1
Picket fence w/ orange flowers

4. Lane / dannab1s hubby
Rabbit digging

5. Lin / barkingdogwoods
Garden scene

6. Sylvia / sylviatexas
Daylilies

7. Weldon / weldontx
3 Roses

8. Dorothy B / dirtmomma
3 Windows

9. Debbie / debbiedo7
Garden Fairy cup

10. Gail / melvalena
Yellow Daisys

11. Melody / melodymoose
Sweet pea Fairy

12. Brianna
Purple Rose

13. Jay
Green Plant

14. Julie / mommyfox
Mushroom Fairies

15. Tina / tina_2
Lavender Butterflies

16. Dorothy / ambersas
Acorn Tree

17. Erin / ecovert
Garden Lady

18. / alley __**PLEASE CHOOSE - ALSO NEED NAME

19. Cheryl / seamommy __**PLEASE CHOOSE

20. Barbara / MikeandBarb ---- **ALSO NEED SONS NAME & CHOICE
Arbor and bench.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I MISSED ANY ONE OK

REMEMBER IF YOU HAVEN'T CHOSEN YOUR NAME TAG
PLEASE DO SO NOW
BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE ---- SAMPLES ARE UP ABOVE
IF YOU'RE BRINGING KIDS ******
(OUR REGULARS - WILL GET MAGNATIZED NAME TAGS)
(FIRST TIMERS WILL GET STICKERS)
YOU MUST LET ME KNOW THEIR NAMES & CHOICES

** OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET TO FILL OUT A NAME LABEL **

WOOHOOOOOO EXCITEMENT IS IN THE AIR

Debbie

o

Deb, The same as Barefootintx getting for my tag. Son can't make it so he doesn't need one.

I don't think I have you down for any???

o

Hi Sally! I'm Julie, and I have a few things on your list! I have as many irises as you could want (seriously) and I may have a phrag orchid.

I'd like a wood fern and a yellow archangel, if you have enough. It may be invasive, but so's the asian jasmine I intend to put it next to. We'll see who out-invades the other!

o
*****name tags ****

OOOPPPSSSSS
I FORGOT TO ADD IN SALLY'S name tag

Sally / planopondnut
Garden Scene

o

Hi, Sally!

I have the very early dark purple historic iris Crimson King, an intermediate or median introduced in 1883 or 1893:
it started blooming last year on March 3 or March 6, & this year on February 23;
it often blooms again in late May, not as heavily, but irises are a welcome sight in late May.

When you say "succulents", are you including sedum?
I have Autumn Joy & a cheery yellow one with roundish leaves.

It's dark now, but I'll look to see if I still have some Paprika (red) yarrow tomorrow.

I'd like some white daffodils (sounds yummy!) & redbud seedlings.

o

Hi Sally - I just realized I'm already getting wood fern from Carrie, so if you don't mind I'd rather have Chinese photinia seedlings. I'd actually rather have those than anything, and if you have some walking onion to send my way, I'd appreciate it! I'll have water lettuce and water hyacinth for you, and will check this week to see if there's a Kerria for you.

Thanks!
Lin

o

Oh my!! Thanks everyone for the great welcome and all the offers!

Barbara (mikeandbarb), thanks for the larkspur, I'll bring you a passion vine. Do you have any more butter and egg? Perhaps I could trade you a salvia guarantica for it? Or something else?

Dorothy B (dirtmomma), thanks for the crinum, I'll bring you some cast iron.

Dorothy (ambersas), I would LOVE a Mrs. Chambers brug!!! I'll definitely bring plenty of yellow archangel for you. But you must look for something else on my list too... how about the variegated vinca or some wood fern? Both will do well in clay and shade... Perhaps some other bog plants? Do you have umbrella palm, water irises?

Debbie (debbiedo7), thanks for the nametag, hen & chicks, and burro's tail. I'll bring your passion vine, fern, strawberry begonia, and blue carpet sedum.

Lin (barkingdogwoods), thanks for the floating plants, I'll bring the passion vine, walking onions and chinese photinia. Instead of the Kerria, I would love some arum italicum and/or spanish bluebells. I could bring some wood fern anyway, if you want more, or perhaps there's something else you would like?

Julie (mommyfox), a phrag orchid? Oh, neat! I would also like some irises and perhaps some of your pothos. I'll bring wood fern, yellow archangel, and some purple oxalis.

Sylvia (sylviatexas), the Crimson King iris sound great, and the paprika yarrow if you have any. I have those two sedums you mentioned, though. I'll bring you white daffodils, a redbud seedling, and perhaps a tiny peach tree I found growing today. :-)

Cheryl (seamommy), sorry to hear about your pond, I'll bring you some pond plants.

Darlene (dcarpenter), you have a great list, I'm interested in the unusual aloe, queen anne's lace, and pink obedient plant. What are you looking for?

Thanks everyone for all the trades, this is going to be such fun!!
--Sally

o

Sally I do have more butter and egg and will bring you a start of it.

o

Thank you Barbara! Wow, I have some digging to do!

o

I still have a little digging to do too and hope the waether allows it. I'm moving some of my plants along with gathering up plants for the swap.

o

Oh, Brenda (barefoot_in_texas), what can I get you and Ruben for cooking us all that food? How about a water lily?

Sally

o

Hi Sally -

I now have you down for arum italicum (small pups, but it will be a gallon pot of them), Spanish Bluebells, water lettuce and water hyacinths.

I'd like the passion vine, walking onions, chinese photinia, and a redbud seedling if you have enough.

I'm getting more excited as the swap gets closer!!!

Lin

o

Debbie, put my name on the white picket fence with flowers growing behind it, please.
Sally, I am bringing ice plant cuttings (a very large bag full as Sylvia wants a lot of it) - I would like the salvia if you have enough.

o

Lin, you have a deal! I feel like I'm wheeling and dealing!! :-)

Dorothy/ambersas, I sure would like a GW hat or visor also... Can I tempt you with a small pup off of my Upright elephant ear? I have one this year. See below for a pic.

Julie/mommyfox, I would like a dwarf columbine, all I have is Texas yellow. The purple one sounds lovely. I do have one butterfly ginger I could trade you...

Sedumqueen, I have an upright sedum I can bring you, it has yellow flowers.

Weldontx, I sure would like another brug. Is there anything of mine you want? I could bring more variegated aucuba cuttings...

Alley, I would like some daylilies, and I have fall aster to trade, if you are interested. They don't require much water.

Necia, I am interested in your lovely soaps!! They are so beautiful. Is there anything of mine you are interested in?

-Sally

Here is a link that might be useful: Upright Elephant Ear

o
Salvia

Carrie, that sounds great, I can pot you up some. Can I possibly get some of your artemesia?

I'm also looking for some red flowering quince cuttings...

My spreadsheet of trades is getting large! :)

o

I definitely have enough artemesia to share, Sally, and I can bring red flowering quince cuttings. Is your fall aster the large plant with the tiny blue blooms? If so, I would like a couple of these ... mine drowned last year. They definitely do not like wet feet.

o

Julie, What color is the Dwarf Columbine how long have you had it? I lost one I purchased last year that was a purple.

Anyone have Winky or Winkie Columbine?

Ok, I dug up some salvia's and this is what I came up with.
2 extra Lady in Red salvia's, 1 Navajo Bright Red Salvia and 8 Balck and Blue Salvia.

o

The dwarf columbines are ones I sowed in the spring of last year. They were a mixed bag of colors. Some of them are about to bloom though, so I'll know what colors they are!

The purples, unfortunately, don't appear to have made it, strangely. Maybe one of the mixed babies will be purple! I'll keep an eye out.

o

Sally, I would love one of those elephant ear things. . . . I have just the place for it!

I've kind of lost track of who gets what. . . maybe we should have some sort of a giant spreadsheet that includes everybody!?!

This is what the visors look like:Photobucket

I know I have a brug for Weldon and Sally
violets, lisimachia for Lin

I have a hat for Ruben, and visor's for Debbie, Donna and Sally.

Please remind me if I have forgotten someone or something.

Dorothy

o

Yes, Carrie, that's the fall aster. I don't have any places in my yard that stay damp long, except my pond and bog filter. :) I'll bring you a couple asters. Thanks for the artemesia and quince!

Julie, any columbine will do, if you can spare something non-yellow.

Dorothy (ambersas), the visor looks fabulous! You do good work! I'll bring the archangel and the upright EE. I forgot, however, that this elephant ear likes more sun than the regular stuff does, if you want it to get large. It also doesn't wilt easily like the regular EE's do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Aster

o

Yes, that is what I had, Sally, for about 5 years, as a matter of fact. Last sping's rains were just too much for them and they did not come back. I will put these in a much higher spot so that in the event we have another wet spring, they will be okay.
Dorothy, the visor is a knockout ------

o

Dorothy Wow I love the visor.
Does that reduce down to a childs head? If so I would like to order 2 visors for my grands - Melody & Brianna & a small hat for Jay. Just let me know the cost of the visors & hat. They already run around fussing about who gets to wear my apron next. (I may have to order 3 of them from ya too later on) I wouldn't expect ya to be out the money for theirs.

I had to go back through all our posts to see what I had traded for - took me a while too.

Carrie - got ya down for the picket fence with flowers for name tag. ;o)

Excitment is growing - along with Spring!!!
Debbie

o

We are interested in coming to the swap - our first time. I can gather the following if anyone is interested:

Eve's Necklace seedlings, golden groundsel, horseherb, gregg's mist flower, tons of liriope, two variegated euonymous and violets. I will try to pot up some zexmenia but I couldn't get it to transplant well last year.

I also have a lot of seeds.

I am looking for a couple of red yucca divisions, butterfly weed, blue sedge, red salvia gregii, giant coneflower and pigeon berry.

I am a photographer and will consider trading photography for plants as well if anyone is interested.

This sounds like so much fun!

Kelly

o

Kelly, I have some giant coneflower for you and I would love some violets.

I will also have a lot of orange daylilies if anyone is interested. I don't know the Latin name for them nor the modern variety. They came out of my great Grandmothers yard in 1914 when they moved from TN to OK. Granny had them every year she was growing up and passed them on to my mother in 1959. Mom gave me couple of them about 20 years ago and I have enough to share.

I have a few white iris if anyone is interested, and some vinca.

Cheryl

o

Hi Cheryl,

I would like some of those daylilies, if I may.. I'll bring you a water lily and some other pond plants.

Sally

o

Sally - I would love to have a water lily in exchange for lunch.

As an FYI for everyone lunch includes - Oscar Myer All Beef hot dogs with all the fixins, chips/dips and water/coke/diet coke. Plus usually some cookies/brownies/cake and such.

Oops - almost forgot - is anybody interested in a demo on growing upside down tomatoes. If so I can bring some stuff and do a demo. We have really good luck growing the smaller varieties such as Sweet 100's, cherry and porter tomatoes this way. Let me know if there is any interest.

o

Kelly Welcome to the GW and to the swap,

I have spare Lady in Red salvia I'd be more than happy for you to take it home. Nothing in exchange needed.
I know this is a swap / plant trade but thing's I want are not on anyone's list and I need homes for some plants. So it's a win win. I don't have to kill the poor plant and someone gets what they want :)

Barb

o

Kelly, I just found this thread and am planning on attending the swap. I am very interested in the Eve's Necklace seedlings. I don't have a lot to trade. An unnamed sedum that just continues to grow year-after-year (a start of it was given to me in 1990), perhaps Hosta 'Lancifolia' and Hosta 'Royal Standard' - just have to see how many eyes I have coming up. If you are interested in a swap, please let me know.

o

Cheryl, I may already have this daylily, but if you have enough, I would like just one to grow for comparison if I may. Mine came from gardens in my little hometown, and I have no idea how old a species they are nor what the name of it is.

o

Welcome Kelly & Posie4u

Cheryl,
I would love to have some of your 5-6 generational orange lillies. Last fall I brought home some white irises that I'm the 8th generation to posess. (I almost lost all of them though from not planting em right away) I love heritage flowers with history. ;o)

Brenda,
I would be interested in your demo on hanging tomatoes.
Question .... how much would the supplies cost to make one? If you are going to get the supplies to do yours would you pick up supplies for me to do one? I'll reimburse you for the cost. ;o)

Debbie

o

Kelly, I would like one of the Eve's necklace seedlings if you have enough. I do not have divisions of the red yucca, but I have some started from seed. They are still small.

o

I thought I would jump in. I don't really have much to trade as we just inherited a house that chiefly grows weeds. I am working on it though and will share as much as I can (not the weeds!)

I can bring at least a little of each
sedum starts
some caladium bulbs
monkey grass
catnip, cilantro, beet, chard, basil seeds
coco peat
homemade soap
pink oxalis

I saw the following mentioned and would be interested

white whiclover
red oleander
violets
white daffodils planopondnut, I may be able to get you a small start of some hen and chicks

also interested in compost and organic amendments
and just about anything!

Thanks for letting a newbie in!

o

Hey guys! I'm still looking for bridal wreath spirea, bat faced cuphea and trellises. Can I tempt anyone with a flame acanthus?

Also, columbines are blooming - and a couple are purple!

o

Welcome weenerdogg! The more the merrier! Thanks, I'll put your name on a pot of the daffodils. :)

o

• Posted by alley 7b Ft. Worth, Tx (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 15:39

Just quickly checking in and don't have time to read all. I have lost my computer (oh the horror) and am at the library (hense the quick check in).
Debbie--my name is Alison and any tag will do. I like the one in the pot on the second row of the second page in the earlier post.
planopondnut--I think I'll have some daylilies for you. I have to take some out of my front yard. Apparently rabbits (or deer) like to eat them.

I look a little better at the previous posts on Thursday or Friday (when I get my new computer)
Alison

o

I am excited about the exchange and will be happy to share:
*elephant ears (three or four)
*iris (several colors. I should have noted which colors they were last year, but didn't and now if you want to be surprised I will be happy to share. They will be mostly purple and yellow. I dug up and planted the ones I love)
*mums (again I won't be sure of the colors, but mostly yellow and white which I love in the fall)
*some volunteer nandina's about eight to twelve inches tall now that will grow to be five feet tall or more
*I also have a lot of the orange day lillies that I can dig up. Many are in a shady area and don't flower so need to be moved anyway.
*I have some of the old variety red amaryllis that I can dig up.
I would love caladium bulbs.
I would also like to try the Black and blue salvia. I just read hummingbirds are attracted to them. Anyone know if that is true? I want to try them.
Thanks,
Maureen

o

Debbiedo - I'd be happy to pick up the stuff for you - it only costs about $6.00 for the planter, plants, dirt and all. Anybody else interested in an upside down tomatoe demo?

gardenmommaureen - could I please have an elephant ear? Mine all rotted last year - too much rain I guess. I'll trade you lunch.

o
Oops - forgot something

Oh I forgot to mention this. Ruben (the cook) and I are usually one of the first ones to arrive at the swap. Since we have some newbies coming if anyone wants my cell phone number in case they get lost, can't find us, etc., I'll be happy to provide it. Just post here or e-mail me and I'll send it to you. I know it's a week and half away, but I'm really getting excited.

o

Hi Maureen -

Welcome aboard! This will be my first swap and I'm very excited too!!

I would love to get some of the old-variety red amaryllis - however I don't have caladium or black-and-blue salvias. I have some Tropicana cannas if you'd like some of them, or a pot of Leucojum Aestivum (summer snowflakes, they're like lilies-of-the-valley on steroids - they'll have finished blooming for this year but will be great again next year).

I have tall pink Mexican Petunias (I haven't seen hummingbirds on them, but I have seen hummingbird moths around them), or short purple Mexican Petunias. I also have starts of a highly vigorous (read: invasive) trumpet vine that the hummers just LOVE.

Any of those interest you?

Lin

o

Planopondnut, I would be happy to bring you some aloe, queen anne's lace, and obedient plants in exchange for your blue carpet sedum, creeping spineless cactus, umbrella palm, and/or variegated aucuba.

MikeandBarb, would you happen to have any more of your butter and egg plant? Would you be interested in some orange bulbine?

Debbiedo7, I would love the name tag with the picket fence. I'm also bringing a friend. Would you be willing to trade name tags for both of us (and my son) for the aloe, pineapple mint, daylilies, watch chain, rockrose, cannas, sedum Angelina and Kamtschtka? If so, the names are Darlene Carpenter, Maria Garcia, and Auggie Galindo. Thanks.

Darlene

o

Welcome Maureen! Glad you could join the fun!
I am interested in your daylilies. I have Salvia Guaranitica, which is your black and blue salvia. Yes, I have seen hummingbirds at it many times. I'll be glad to bring you some.

Alison, if Maureen can bring me some daylilies, you don't need to. I'm sure they will be difficult to find if the deer have chomped them! I'll still bring you the fall aster.

Weenerdogg, is there anything else on my list (above, 3/29 post) that you are interested in? I am also interested in your homemade soap.

-Sally

o

Cheryl, I have the bridal wreath spirea, but it is blooming now.... do you think a cutting would root at this time? Be glad to bring you one if you like.

o

Welcome to the GW and swap Maureen,

I have extra Black and Blue salvia if you's like one or two more.

Darlene, I would love some orange bulbine in exchange for Butter and Egg.

o

WELCOME weenerdogg & Maureen/gardenmommaureen

weenerdogg
Id like some of your catnip, coco peat

Maureen
I would like to try your old variety red amaryllis, elephant ear & mums if you have enough. Pick out a name tag from the above post - either list here or send to my email - not through GW as I don't seem to be getting those.

Darlene
Sounds like a deal - what design does Maria & Auggie
want for their name tags?

And as always if anyone has planters or trellises I'm interested. Also plant marker pens that withstand the weather.

LOL ya know how many things I have that I don't have a clue as to what it is because the name bleached/washed off.

I will be bringing
burrow tail cuttings (succulent)
string of banana cuttings (succulent)
round leaf lambs ear
scabiosa sprouts
morning glory sprouts (red & purple)
unfortunately most of my seeds didn't sprout or damped off. (go figure)

FOR ALL THE NEWBIES: please note that Sylvia has said that if you want to be part of the prize drawing then bring an item to add to it. Crafts, special plants, baked goods, garden supplies, lotions & potions, garden art, stepping stones etc.

o

Darlene, thanks! You've got a deal. :)

Debbie, I always use pencil to mark plants, pencil never washes away or fades. Well, one side is marker for easy reading during the swap, the other side is pencil to last forever.

Does anyone else need a water lily? I have two more.. They are either white, yellow, or pink.

Sally

o

Debbie you got it. I wouldn't mind some of those scabiosa sprouts.

Sally I will make sure you get some soap too. I'm not sure what all you are bringing so maybe I can look when I get there? either way you can have some soap.

Dorothy I would love some Violets if you have more to share.

Darlene, do you have some thing on my list you would like for your tansy?

Barb, do you have any butter and eggs left please? Let me know what you may like?

Jenn

o

Next year I am so coding a web page for people to input trades on so we can all see the exchanges in one massive spreadsheet. But it's a little late for that now. I hadn't realized how truly massive this had gotten! Gotta love the internet.

This is what I have people down for, let me know if I've forgotten anything ...

Barefootintexas:
White lantana

Alley:
White lantana, blue mistflower, flowering tobacco for ginger, daylilies

Sally:
Irises, pothos, phrag orchid for wood fern, archangel, oxalis

Tina:
Algerian ivy, artemesia, violets for vinca

Sylvia:
pink mum for crinum, lamb's ear

Barkingdogwoods
Jewel of opar, violets for rain lilies, summer snowflakes, spanish hyacinth, beautyberry

Debbiedo07:
The yellow ice plant didn't make it. Sorry! Was there something else you wanted in exchange for the name tag?

Dirtmomma:
Dwarf columbine, rock rose for crinum, turk's cap

Planopondnut:
Dwarf columbine for butterfly ginger

Barb:
Dwarf columbine, amaranthus (I have many seedlings - how many would you like?) for Rose of Sharon, cutting of RoS, larkspur, butter and egg

Darlene:
What would you like for lamb's ear and queen's lace?

Barefoot_in_texas:
White lantana for lunch

I still have to trade: asian jasmine, a few cannas, liriope, hollyhock seeds, hyacinth bean vine, artemesia, sweet alyssum seedlings, flame acanthus, blue mistflower, violets, amaranthus (love-lies-bleeding) seedlings, flowering tobacco seedlings, iris, hibiscus (red), a small bromeliad and some rooted African violet cuttings (pretty pink and green variegated foliage, pink flowers.) Also a young African violet division that is either a blue or a purple - I've forgotten which plant it sprouted off of. >.<

o

Debbiedo
I like the little country looking garden angel with watering can for a name tag and thank you for doing this.

I also have two questions.
Do you all bring extra things that people have not specifically requested just to trade at the swap?

Barefootintexas
Can we buy lunch if we have nothing for which you would like to trade?

Debbiedo
I will be happy to bring some amaryllis, elephant ears and plenty of mums.

Planopondnut
I will bring you the orange day lillies in exchange for the black and blue salvia. Thank you

mikeandbarb
I would take one extra black and blue salvia. What would you like that I have?

o

Hi Julie - Can I have the flame acanthus? If so, please tell me what I can bring for you. Thank you. tina_2

o

Hi Mommyfox -

You have our trade correct - however, if you have an extra flame acanthus that you could throw in for me, I'd love it!

Thanks!

Lin (Barking dogwoods)

o

Kelly - I can use some liriope in exchange for lunch
mommyfox - If you have spare violets I would love some
Maureen - I think I asked you for an elephant ear in exchange for lunch

Nobody really needs to worry about lunch - we enjoy doing it and I always find something to trade for. But, if not its no big deal. Next week sometime, we need to start getting a head count.

o

MikeandBarb, I have you down for orange bulbine in exchange for butter and egg plant. Thanks!

debbiedo7, you can choose the nametags for Maria and my son. Do you happen to have an extra scabiosa? Thanks!

Weenerdogg, what kind of sedum starts do you have? I would be interested in the names and also in your pink oxalis in exchange for tansy. Thanks!

Mommyfox: I would love some flame acanthus, but I believe it's already been spoken for, if you have enough to go around for everyone I prefer that, if not, your amaranth love-lies-bleeding will do in exchange for lamb's ear and queen anne's lace. Thanks!

o

Maureen, yes, by all means bring your extras;

Even if we bring too much (better too much than not enough!), we've always been able to find homes for our extras.

& we're hoping for some newcomers this year, especially since the swap was mentioned in the Dallas News the other day, so we may be able to get some new-gardeners started!

o

Darlene, I can add flame acanthus to your list if you would like. Do you have me down for lamb's ear?

o

Maureen, if you have plenty of nandina, I'd like to have some;
please look at my list on this thread, posted Wednesday, March 26, at 20:21 (7:21 PM) & see if there's anything there that you'd like.

o

Hi Maureen -

Just checking back to see if there was anything I could exchange for the old variety amaryllis. What I have to choose from is:
: Green-striped Agave pups
: Aloe Vera
: Arum Italicum (small pups)
: tall pink (Chi-Chi) Mexican petunia
: Obedient plants
: Trumpet Vine
: Elderberry plants
: Small purple mexican petunia
: Leucojum Aestivum
: Beautyberry
: Tropicana cannas
: Water plants - Pickerel Weed, water lettuce, water hyacinth, Water canna (Thalia dealbata)

As an aside - for those who are getting a pot of Spanish bluebells (Hyacinthoides) - I noticed today a lovely fragrance as I was potting them up. I love the smells of spring!!!

Lin

o

Darlene, the Pineapple mint would be great and for sure I want the salvia kamtschtka!!

For Tina: Brug
Darlene( Brug, pincushion

Folks, if I am to bring anyone else something. POST IT. I forgot!. Dorothy I will bring you roses. I will have others as well. I usually just do "pot luck" and take my chances---never come home disappointed

Weldon

o

Carrie 751 - I have you down for bee balm and lamb's ear for your flame acanthus. Thanks!

Weldon - I have you down for Oestosporum, Sedum Angelina, White Yarrow, Queen Anne's Lace, Pineapple Mint, and Sedum Kamtschtka for a brug and pincushion plant. Thanks!

o

What I have to trade....
Right now I have some Confederate Rose cuttings (pink) for trade. These guys get about 6 feet tall and 6 about 6 around. If you want one I can explain how to care for them.

Some sort of fancy grass. Not sure what kind. Its dark green and produces blackish/dark blue berries. I can pull up a variegated variety if needed.

Thats about it. I am still very new to the gardening thing and do not have a big enough collection up for trade.

What I am looking for/wanting to trade for....I know a lot of these I will have to purchase

Rose of sharon
Purple Lantan - crawling variety
Cannas
Clematis - any type but looking for parkseed's radar love
Honeysuckle -golden flame and dutch florida preferred
Japanese Maple - Crimson Queen - sappling
Red Bud - Sapling
Purple Saliva
Hostas
Coneflower - I have purple, looking for another color
Butterfly Bush/weed dwarf varieties preferred
daylillies

I know my list is long, but these are some of my favorites and I have been thinking about these plant/trees for quite some time and looking forward to the day I get these!

o
RE: Hi element321......

Hi element321 - I would like some confederate rose cuttings.
I can bring you several mixed colors - daylillies.
Let me know if you are interested. Thank you. tina_2

o

element321, I have a couple of cannas I can bring you!

o

Welcome, element321! I can bring you a red canna, and I believe I might have some salvia guaranitica left, if you are interested.

Cheryl (seamommy), do you have any more giant coneflower, in addition to the daylilies? My mother is looking for purple coneflower... Perhaps I could divide my water canna (yellow), in addition to the other pond plants and water lily.

My sister has given me her list of haves and wants. She has red spider lilies, scabiosa daisy (blue), Star of Bethlehem, grape hyacinth, and some white-blooming oxalis to trade, and is interested in getting crinum and garden amaryllis.

Sylvia, as far as head count, I have discovered that my sister is bringing one of her children, Laurel, if you want to add her to the list of people attending the swap.

Thanks,
Sally

o

Darlene, I have you down for flame acanthus and gloriosa daisy --- is this correct? I will try very hard this week to post what I have written down to bring to each one, and see if our lists coincide.
Element, I can bring you salvia and cannas.

o

Tina I am interested, I can get you some cuttings. These are very large. Some are about 3 feet long. My mom got them for me this year from grandmother garden in AL. I know they are big but they are taking root just fine and have some green growth. They should be ready to plant by the end of the month. How many do you want? They wont get big this year, but in about 3 years they will be large. Last year I was visiting my bro in New Road LA and they a confederate rose that was as tall a two story Victorian house!

Mommyfox are you wanting any Confederate rose cuttings? I am interested in what you have.

I just realized I have a ton of purple coneflower seeds that will that have I harvested from last season. It should still be good. I will throw some into my seed closest tomorrow and see if I get them to germinate in time to see if they are still good.

I forgot to mention, I am also looking for Mandevillas - prefer pinks and reds but I love all of them.

o

O didn't see your post Carrie, that be great I would like some of those plants you have. Are you also wanting Confederate roses? Anyone who wants let me know. This weekend I am gonna head over to my parent's place and get the sticks and see how many I have that will be up and ready for trade.

o
Dcarpenter

Hi there,

I have stone crop sedum with little star like yellow flowers its a ground cover type plant and then also another type of sedum that is larger with pinkish flowers and a tall spire. It is similar if not an autumn joy. I am also interested in your queen anne's lace also :)

o

Wow my head is swimming, this page is hoppin
Julie may I have three of the amaranthus (love-lies-bleeding) seedlings. BTW What color is it? LOL

Jenn, got you down for Butter and Egg, I will check later to see what to trade for.

Gardenmommaureen, got you down for Black and blue salvia, I will check later to see what to trade for.

o

Barb - they're seeds I got from someone else, so I can't be 100 percent certain, but they SHOULD be red.

Element, I'm death on cuttings, so don't worry yourself about it! I only have 2 or 3 cannas anyway.

o

Here is my list of the plants I have promised:

Sylvia - ice plant cuttings, tall red cannas and artemesia

Lin - woodfern, elephant ears, mock orange, goriosa daisy and lyre leaf sage

Weldon - 2 black and blue salvias, daylilies, artemesia and red fairy rose

Cheryl - creeping jenny, ajuga bridal wreath cutting

Sally - flowering quince cuttings, red ice plant cuttings, artemesia

Darlene - gloriosa daisy, flame acanthus

If you have asked me for something and your name is not listed here, please email me so I can bring what I promised. Sometimes, I do not write it down right away, so let me know.

I will have extra mock orange root plants (they are too large to pot up so they are just in water), creeping jenny, black and blue salvia, a few Greggii salvia (colors one of several, but unknown for each individual plant), pink ruella, purple clumping ruella, artemesia, tall red cannas and gloriosa daisy. Let me know if you are interested in any of this or you can just wait until I get to the swap with it. Almost forgot, I can dig up more flame acanthus if anyone needs any and I have a few very large roots from a Turk's cap I just relocated.

o
Element

I would love a couple of the Condederate rose cuttings. The two I had were from a lady in Mobile, Al (she mailed me cuttings), but they were in a bed that got too much water last spring --- they do NOT like to stand in water.

o
RE: Hey Cheryl.....

Hi Cheryl - Do you have any tropical vine seeds that are easy to germinate/grow? Please let me know. Thank you. tina_2

o

Sally, the giant coneflowers are yellow. The purple coneflowers only get to be about 24"-30" tall, but I don't have any of them to trade this year. The giant ones are about 8' tall and I have lots of them. How many do you want?

I'm also going to bring about 10 jars of my homemade jellies and preserves to trade for plants. I might still have some apple butter and I know I have scads of pear preserves (my dad's recipe) and not sure what else.

Anybody bringing potato or pasta salad? Barefoot, I love hot dogs and chips, but I really work up a ferocious appetite at these things. A huge green salad would be nice too, with lots of tomatoes and maybe some chunks of apples, cheese and walnuts. Is it lunchtime yet? Anybody bringing cookies or banana bread?

I'm so hungry already if anyone want's to help out with a pot-luck effort to round out the hot-dog main course, please e-mail me and I'll start coordinating it. That way we don't end up with 17 dishes of potato salad...not that I would mind that!

Cheryl

o

I'm trying to get my list of swaps posted before we go to Part Tres!

Carrie751 (Carrie)
Aspidistra (center stripe); Kerria Japonica; Water plants -water lily, water hyacinth, Water canna (Thalia dealbata)
For: Wood Fern; Gloriosa Daisy; Mock Orange; Elephant Ears; lyre-leaf sage

Debbiedo7 (Debbie)
Rain lilies (Zephyrantes candida); tall pink (Chi-Chi) Mexican petunia; Obedient plants; Elderberry plants; Narcissus - Ehrlicheer and Avalanche (Seventeen sisters); Small (low-growing) purple mexican petunia; Spanish Bluebells; Leucojum Aestivum; Water plants - Small duck weed (a little)
For: Name tag

SylviaTexas (Sylvia)
Agave pups; Rain lilies (Zephyrantes candida)
For: shade plants

Tina_2 (Tina)
Aspidistra - center stripe (larger pot)
For: Large green aspidistra

Barefoot in Texas (Brenda)
Spanish Bluebells; Leucojum Aestivum; Water plants - Pickerel Weed, water lettuce
For: Lunch

Mikeandbarb (Barb)
Spanish Bluebells; Kerria Japonica (2)
For: Texas Yellow Columbines; Lady in Red Salvia; lyre-leaf sage

Mommyfox (Julie)
Rain lilies (Zephyrantes candida); Spanish Bluebells; Leucojum Aestivum; Beautyberry
For: Violets; Jewels of Opar

Ambersas (Dorothy)
Arum Italicum (small pups); Kerria Japonica
For: Loosestrife; Violets

Seamommy (Cheryl)
Water plants - Pickerel Weed, Small duck weed, water hyacinth, Cyperus, Water canna (Thalia dealbata)
For: Four o'clocks; flowering quince

Planopondnut (Sally)
Arum Italicum (small pups); Spanish Bluebells; Water plants - water lettuce, water hyacinth
For: passion vine; walking onions; photinia; redbud

Let me know if I left anyone off!!! I have one last trip east before the swap to dig up or find things to trade!!

Lin

o

Ok guys reading these posts is to hard for me and I can not keep up with it. For everyone that wants some confederate rose cuttings please email me w/ how many you want and what you want to trade w/ me from my earlier post or if you have something I might like. I am running out. I will have to work on first come first serve. Next year I will get more than I did this year.

Tonight I will f/u up w/ anyone I see on here that has something to trade/give. -Thanks, guys

o

Sally,

I am interested in your sisters red spider lilies, scabiosa daisy (blue), Star of Bethlehem if she has enough to share.

Well let's now all go to
Plant Swap in Fort Worth area
AS IT SEEMS IT'S TAKEN ON A LIFE OF IT'S OWN AS PART 3

Debbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here