Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Ft Worth Trinity Park Swap April 30 2011 Haves & Wants

sylviatexas1
13 years ago

Brenda has reserved the pavilion in front of the zoo for April 30 for our Spring Swap.

Spring is in the air:

Let the games begin!

I'll start.

I'll have young roses, red baby crepe myrtles (Dynamite if I remember correctly), irises, that I can think of right off the top of my head.

would like soil, compost, mulch, pots 1 gallon or larger, uh, can't think of anything else right now.

Well...

irises, especially antique irises.

& roses.

Of course I want all the irises & roses in Texas;

I am known both as the Iris Pig & the Rose Glutton.

Comments (41)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm putting April 30 on my calendar.

For some reason, I can't respond to your posting on the website.

(note from sylvia:
    Can anybody offer a cure?)

At the moment, I have lots of what I call thread-leaf coreopsis and snow-on-the-prairie.

I think the snapdragon vines may have reached their spring peak by April 30, but we'll see.

I hope to have some butterfly vines and Hooker's primroses.

I should have some irises, but am not sure what color at this time.

If someone is willing to dig it up, I have a volunteer forsythia or two.

I'm still cruising the yard every day to see what made it through the winter.

I'll keep watching the postings and hope I can figure out why I'm not getting in.

running gardener

• debbiedo7
    13 years ago

Donna & I have been going thru our gardens & we dug up some mexican petunia & goldenrod from her garden yesterday. They should be well rooted by the swap.

I'm also seeing if I can get some seeds to sprout - update later..... I will have strawberry plants & will have to see what else as things start sprouting up around here.

• sigrid_r
    13 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I don't know if you remember me, but I came to the fall plant swap. (brought brownies and muffins) Thank you for making me feel so welcome. I wanted to tell all of you how much I enjoyed meeting you and that I am so thrilled that most of the plants you donated for my beginners garden survived the winter!!

I don't know if I will make the spring swap, unless someone is just dying for more brownies!

Sigrid

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

uhhhhh.....

YYEESS!

Bring on the brownies!

Glad to see you posting Sigrid, & hope to see you at the Swap!

• barefoot_in_texas
    13 years ago

Does anyone need Obdient Plant (although it is really not so obdient). I can dig it if anyone wants it. Otherwise I'll wait until my SIL comes down and she can dig it herself. Of course we will be lunch - hot dogs, chips, cokes, water, desert, etc. Don't have to bring me anyting, I'm pretty planted up. Although I would be interested in coreopsis and any and all mints.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm getting ready to plant a bunch of hyacinth bean seeds-
    finally remembered where I'd put 'em!

• sigrid_r
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I will come and bring brownies and I think I will make some carrot cake too. Of course, I still have Lavender Iris' if anyone is interested.

If anyone has Devils Backbone, my mother is begging me to get her a start, I'm interested.

Sigrid

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yay!

I found a Chinese tallow seedling, will bring it along, & I've been promised more morning glory seedlings than any one human can use!

• donnalah
    13 years ago

does anyone live in Weatherford? I have lots to trade! Would love to meet gardeners in this area.

• terryisthinking
    13 years ago

Sylvia - check your email, trying to get hold of you
    I'm insidecat.

• debbiedo7
    13 years ago

Man sure is quiet here where is everyone????

I don't plan to do pre trades this year but I will be there. WooHoo

• pyxis
    13 years ago

Sylvia
    Is the trade in the same place in Trinity Park or has it been moved? If it is moved let me know how to get there. Have moved to Ft Worth so hopefully will get to be more active. Not much to trade just want to see all my friends.
    Casper

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yay, Casper!

Brenda found a "more better" site in front of the zoo!

From I-30, go *south* on University to Colonial, which is in front of the zoo.

Turn east (left) & follow the curving drive until you see the ballfields on your right;
    there are 1 or 2 pavilions, parking in front, tables, grills, & port-a-potties!

I'm sure looking forward to seeing everyone!

• pyxis
    13 years ago

Sylvia will see everyone there not bringing much but will bring what I have. Only a few peppers and some pots.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great, Casper;
    everybody can always use edibles & extra pots!

• merrybookwyrm
    13 years ago

I have a few lemongrass starts, if anyone wants them?

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lemongrass sounds wonderful!

I have for sure a bunch of old-fashioned irises, I guess they're considered late-blooming, as they have flowers right now;
    there are biggish purple ones with striations or stripes near the center, & smaller yellow ones.

They look really nice together.

& I'll bring hyacinth bean starts if they come up in time, or beans if not;
    they're wonderfully easy to grow, just the thing to enchant small gardeners.

• pyxis
    12 years ago

My son has three rose bushes need TLC, everything else about them is unknown if anyone is interested I will bring them. He also has unlnown Four O Clocks and Lantana if anyone wants them. He told me that they had to go so if I could find them a home he wants nothing in trade.

• debbiedo7
    12 years ago

merrybookwyrm
    I wasn't planning on pre trading but if you have lemongrass (the kind that repells mosquitos ) then YES I would love some & I know that my neighbor Donna would also.

We have fall astors, grandpa ott morning glories, pink morning glories, honeysuckle, a couple baby Desert rose starts, red amaranthus, pink four oclocks, maximillian sunflowers, jewell of opar, white yarrow, papershell pecan seedlings (complements of the squirells)
    Does anything sound good to you???

• debbiedo7
    12 years ago

Pyxis
    what color Lantana is it? Also do you know the color of the 4 O-clocks? I might be interested.

Correction on the Amaranthus - it's called purple (it still looks burgundy to me) Also found some Limelight Atemesia, spearmint.

• pyxis
    12 years ago

debbiedo7
    My son told me the Four O Clocks are ugly and they stink anything else is beyond him. The Lantana is Orange and various colors. They belonged to his ex and he wants them gone (he is not like dad and is no gardener).

• debbiedo7
    12 years ago

Pyxis
    what color Lantana is it? Also do you know the color of the 4 O-clocks? I might be interested.

Correction on the Amaranthus - it's called purple (it still looks burgundy to me) Also found some Limelight Atemesia, spearmint.

• debbiedo7
    12 years ago

THE LANTANA SOUNDS GREAT.

Not so sure about the 4 O-clocks as I have dark pink already.

LOL how funny - can't blame him for wanting them gone. LOL

Does he like brownies or cc cookies?

• pyxis
    12 years ago

Debbiedo
    He told me he likes both. He is just glad that they are finding a good home.

• merrybookwyrm
    12 years ago

Did not expect interest in the lemongrass! The lemongrass starts were rooting in water for about two months, and have only been in their baby pots for about 2 weeks, maybe three? They are -very- new and small and have been in my kitchen in dim light. Outside shade only at first! The potting soil drains quickly, and the lemon grass may need to be soaked in water every so often to keep it from drying out.

sylviatexas-- if you still want a start, I'll label it for you.

debbiedo7-- this is the Asian cooking lemon grass. Don't know if it repels mosquitos or not. Maybe. If you and Donna would each like a start, I will label one start each for you.

This cleans me out, unless someone wants the truly slow to root start that is still in its water glass.

Don't know that I want to trade anything right now. Maybe an iris rhizome or two, or a hyacinth bean or a morning glory. Would love a coral honeysuckle start, maybe, but am still killing the japanese honeysuckle!

Guess I have to attend the swap now. :-)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yep, ya gotta!

Since you're "short of" lemon grass, just bring to the others, & maybe I can catch up in the autumn.

I'll bring irises & hbv for you.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One of my co-workers is all excited, but she has to work Saturday;
    she just moved into her house, needs "everything".

She's going to bring me, I don't know, cookies & garden gloves & whatever she can find at the store, & she said I'm to trade them for whatever y'all bring!

Don't cha just love an easy-to-please "customer"?!

• debbiedo7
    12 years ago

merrybookwyrm
    Yes we each want a start. Not the same but sounds intersting.
    We have plenty of stuff for you to check out & choose what you just can't leave without. haha
    ASIAN LEMON GRASS
    Lemon grass is also used commercially as the lemon scent in many products including soaps, perfumes and candles.
    A related plant,
    (Cymbopogon nardus) is the ingredient in citronella candles sold to ward off mosquitoes and other insects.

Sylvia,
    I'm sure that we'll have extras for your friend ;o)

• merrybookwyrm
    12 years ago

Thank you all. Stupid newb question, but what time is the swap?

• debbiedo7
    12 years ago

Ummmm can't remember if it's 9 or 10 am (I'm thinking 10). I'm sure someone will be there a little early to start setting up at least by 9:30. Right Brenda - Sylvia

• barefoot_in_texas
    12 years ago

Sorry for the last minute notice - but due some family medical issues Ruben and I will not be able to attend the swap. So everyone may want to pack a few snacks and drinks. Look forward to seeing everyone in the fall. The pavilion is already reserved and paid for so I hope y'all have a wonderful swap. I reserved it for 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. However, there is usually some early birds who get there 8:30 - 9:00 and it is not an issue. To make sure you are in the right place - there is an enclosed bulletin board type thing at the pavilion and the parks people always post the reservations on it. It will say Plant Swap. Again, I hope everyone enjoys and we will see you in the fall.

• dcarpenter
    12 years ago

Brenda ~

Hope all is well. Won't be the same without ya'll. I'm not going to be able to attend either because of baseball. I hope to attend in the fall as well. Hope everyone has a great time.

Darlene

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry, Brenda;
    we'll all miss you.

I'm just on my way out, have to make a stop in Arlington, but I'll be there ASAP.

If need be, you can call me at 214 738 4314.

sylvia

• pyxis
    12 years ago

HEY!!!
    Where are we? There is no Baseball fields and no pavilions on Colonial. I gave security at Forrest Park my directions and was told I was in the right place but there is no Baseball Fields and no Pavillions here. HELP!!!

• pyxis
    12 years ago

To All
    I enjoyed the trade, and visiting with friends and makeing new friends. Happy gardening, hope you enjoy your trades as much as I do (have been telling Brandy my new daughter in law what neet things I traded for). Hope our fall swap is larger and we can have more fun.
    Best to all Casper

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whaddya mean "more fun"???

We did have a lighter than usual turn-out, (at least partly due to the fact that we couldn't get the pavilion until very late in the season), but it was a great swap!

Debbie & Donna brought boucoups (that's pronounced "buckets", right?) of plants & helpers, &
    as always when Casper attends, we all learned a lot;
    Latin names, plant lore, & even some poignant wisdom ("When it's all over, it doesn't matter who bought the last beer.")

Darlene couldn't stay, but she made a drive-through stop & we were glad to see her, & I totally forgot to get the names (bear with me, younger people!) of the couple who brought so many things & who were so excited about roses.

It was good to see the familiar faces, the faces we hadn't seen for a while, & of course some new ones.

As another member said earlier, these swaps are like family reunions that you have twice a year!

looking forward to the fall "reunion"!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I'm glad to hear everyone had a great time and that Casper (pyxis?) found the swap location. :)

• merrybookwyrm
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the swap, and the sedum, and the hyacinth bean. It was neat to see you. :-)

• azada
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Very much enjoyed the plant swapping! Y'all are a very sweet group of people and I was so happy we were able to make it. I hope all your new babies are doing well :) If you have any questions about the plants from me then don't even hesitate to write. I'll tell ya what I know.... Azada@helovesher.com Sylvia if you still want to go rip up some roses I'm great with a shovel, girl! lol
    ~Angela

• poodlelady
    12 years ago

I am interested in your plan swaps, is there any planned for the fall.

• apt323
    12 years ago

Is there anything else in the area or any plans to do something in the spring

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus