Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remuda1

have: trinity park swap, part iii

remuda1
17 years ago

First off, I can't believe that this is the 301st post on this thread. Pretty amazing!

Natalie, when you turn into the park, go to the left and follow that road around......

Kristi

Comments (137)

• tina_2
    17 years ago

Hi all. Has anyone seen this? You may want to check the site. It sounds very interesting. It sounds like a nice plant sale. Also, the proceeds go to restoring the place.
    Just thought, I would mention it. tina_2

http://www.southsidepreservation.com/

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

Cheryl, I'm in denial. What about everybody else?

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Yeppers!

Vi & her hubs loaded her stuff & my stuff in her truck to save time in the morning.

I think the wet weather will end late tonight, & the new overnight low is predicted to be in the high 40's, warming up tomorrow.

Can't wait to see everyone there!

• remuda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The weather has already passed out here. I think it will be a GREAT day :). The plants will all appreciate the cooler weather. They can get to looking pretty sad in the heat. But Melvalena, don't forget the hot chocolate!!!!

Kristi

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Kristi, glad you posted;
    I was just watching the weather on tv, & it looked like your area was one of thehardest-hit.

Just now, tonight's low has been revised upward to 55.

Tina Tina Tina...

You've blossomed into a real plantaholic, plunkard enabler!
    (atta girl!)

It does sound wonderful.

I don't know if Vi & I can make it to everything, swap, iris show, preservation society plant sale, but we're gonna do our best!

(Her husband'll probably never let her go anywhere with me again...)

• dannab1
    17 years ago

I'll be there! My little SUV is loaded to the gills.....if we cancel I will be parked at the entrance to the gardens handing out plants to every car!! I don't want to unload these again!!

One thing I have discovered about these native plants though, they hate to be potted up and left....some of mine are looking "angry" at me but I know they will look fine after getting in the ground for a while.

• daylily79
    17 years ago

Dont worry I will be there -

• remuda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hubby just helped me get my truck loaded up too :). My shelving unit is gonna work great :).

Danna, hush your mouth girl...No one is cancelling out! I will hunt all of you down and deliver these plants to your doorsteps, but I CAN NOT come home with anything I am bringing!! However, I may have to beg a little help for unloading :).

Because of the weather forecasts, I had decided not to get there until about 11:00 but I'll be there no later than 10:00 since the coast will be quite clear in the morning.

Sylvia, thanks for the concern....we got quite lucky in that we had a bad patch pass us on the north and another one on the south. Just hard rain and high winds here, but no damage. I was VERY concerned for my mom and dad in Saginaw, but they were VERY lucky as well and only had to contend with some hail just less than golf ball size. Haltom City got hit hard and is only a stone's throw from them. Hope everyone else managed to escape damage as well.

See ya'll in the morning!

Kristi

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

Some of my poppies are looking sad. I've been reading that poppies don't like to be transplanted at all, but I *really* babied them. Between the snow, freezing temps, heavy winds, and transplanting, I'm really afraid for them. HOWEVER, in case they don't do well when planted, I'm bringing envelopes for people to put their addresses on so I can mail seeds later when my poppies...umm...pop.

• weldontx
    17 years ago

NOTHING like tough plant lovers. I put a little cayenne on the crackers, that ought to help keep us warmed up. Someone may need to practice telepathy about 8:45 to 9 to make sure I'm on schedule to get there! and especially NOT to forget the cheese and "bouquet". Just before the rain/hail I went out and cut stems from: Autumn Damask, Cramoisi Superiour, Marie Pavie and Don Juan; mini's- Teddy Bear, Minnie Pearl, Rise N Shine, Rainbow's End --just in case someone needed a posey to practice on at the rooting demo.
    I will also have these whole plants from which a few cuttings may be taken: Cherokee Rose (Sylvia has already been promised 1st choice), Martha Gonzales-in bloom and have a newly rooted one still in the cup-- Mlle Franziska Kreuger.
    Mitch, I'm sure interested in those two daylilies. UH OH
    I may have committed a Greek Goddess to someone and she's not been dug...telepathy please!!!

Weldon

• venessa
    17 years ago

Oh Weldon I will have to talk to you about those mini cuttings. I am really getting into the miniatures now. Oh and I can't remember if you wanted the Lavender Lassie or not?

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

One last check:

Poppies* to:
    Barefoot
    Tina
    Sylvia
    Kristi

Gardening books to:
    Sylvia

Blackfoot daisies, lace cactus & other cactus to:
    Mitch

*See my former note about the poppies. They're looking awfully droopy. : ( I'm only bringing the ones that have some life left in them, and I'll have to send you seeds to sow in the fall. It seems that's the only foolproof way to succeed with them. When you see them, you can decide if you'd still want to swap. No hard feelings if you'd rather not.

• weldontx
    17 years ago

Venessa, YES to the Lavender Lassie.

Weldon

• melvalena
    17 years ago

Rise and shine!!! Everyone up and loaded or getting loaded?

See ya there!

Melvalena

• remuda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"Everyone up and loaded or getting loaded?"

Not yet Melvalena, I have to DRIVE!!! Hey....what are you putting in those hot toddies?????

Kristi

• venessa
    17 years ago

I'm up but not loaded. Spent too much time hiding in the bathtub last night with my dog :O)

Venessa

• daylily79
    17 years ago

Weldon - trade ya them for a rose or two? I will have them marked for you - I cannot wait up way too eary (I am only an hour away . . . 5:30 might have been to early ) but I could not sleep...

• daylily79
    17 years ago

Love the swap - frozzzze but loved it, cannot wait for fall to try it all agian!

• remuda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"Love the swap - frozzzze but loved it, cannot wait for fall to try it all agian!"

Yes well, you DID leave much too soon.....Poor Danna, Karen and Melvalena and Kay had to take way more stuff off my table than they wanted....welllll except for Karen, LOL!!! Those poor plant starved children, what are they going to do Mitch???

I had a great time, thanks to all who attended for making it SUCH an enjoyable swap. I hope everyone went home with everything they wanted and didn't take home anything they didn't want to LOL!! Hugs to all of you who helped clean off my table :). Thanks to Venessa for the great rose rooting demo as well and also to barefoot Brenda and her hubby for all of the hard work making sure we had full bellies :).

LOL, I stopped at Plant Shed on the way home and bought a Sweet Broom! I know a couple of people were headed to the Southside Preservation sale and the Lily sale at the Botanic Gardens.....Then a couple were also headed to Carrie's to dig plants, LOL We've all *lost it*.

Lastly, thank you Sylvia for getting the ball rolling on the swap. A complete success in my eyes.

Kristi

• melvalena
    17 years ago

I had a great time meeting everyone and getting to catch up with Vanessa!

I've already unloaded the .... um ...I mean dropped off the plants for my son's house. :)

I was able to go home with less than I brought!

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Thanks to everybody;
    it took all of us to make it what it was: a blast!
    an arctic blast maybe, but a blast nonethelesss.

Thanks especially to Venessa for the rose-rooting seminar, & to Weldon for donating cuttings.

(Note to self:
    stay out of range of Venessa's pocketknife when she starts talking!)

Thanks to Brenda & hubs for luncheon (best "garden club luncheon" I ever had!) & to the folks (sorry, didn't get everyone's name) who ran the prize raffle.

My friend Vi & I stopped at the Iris Show (a *very* "enabling" event, I recommend it highly!) & just got home & unloaded our plants & I'm munching on the most delectable brownie right now this very minute.

All tired out now, but is it too early to say,
    "Can't wait til autumn"???

• weldontx
    17 years ago

A HUGE "THANK YOU" TO EVERYONE. I believe this to be the most enjoyable yet, maybe because I could stay longer. It was wonderful to see so many of you again and to meet new gardening friends. A special THANKS to the guys who came also. Mitch, I've already got the DL's in the ground and for sure had to cover up that naked lady! Some of the rest will have to wait--keeping 3 & 5 yr olds overnight. May prove to be a might taxing.
    Sylvia, the plant stand is PERFECT!
    Venessa--super job on the rooting lesson!
    Weldon

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I'd like to say Thank you to everyone also. This was a wonderful swap many great people new and oldies. I didn't realize I had so many plants to bring home. Somehow it just doesn't look like as much on here or paper but I'm sure I'll fine a happy home in the ground somewhere even if I have to go outside of the beds HA.
    Weldon thank you for the brick stuff I don't know the name of it. I'll have to get busy with some cutting of my roses if I'm going to fill up the side fence with them.
    My son enjoyed the swap and thanks everyone for giving him plants. I am very happy for him to see that men love gardening too, I think it helped him to make his mind up about planting more than just MAN PLANTS LOL... He took what I didn't get rid of and is going to plant them in his yard :)
    He's is finding out how relaxing it is and a very good outlet when you have troubles on your mind too.
    Thank you Sylvia for getting the swap rolling

• daylily79
    17 years ago

The kids will have to just keep taking my extras here... lol... I was too cold I told Sylvia I had to get home and out of that weather! I am weak when it comes to the cold....

Sylvia - sooo what Iris did you come away with for the gardens? or is it more of a wish list?

I cannot wait to get out in the garden and find spots for these wonderful beauties.. I have to say I was on another site for a few years and their swaps are not that big and not half that much fun (even if I did have to leave early!)
    I loved it and I cannot wait untill fall.

Sweet Broom - I cracked last week and bought one too... they are great plants from what I hear and I cannot wait to see it really going (I was cheap and bought the one gallon... so not much a show this year.)

• dannab1
    17 years ago

Well, I am totally hooked! This was so much fun! Although it is 10:00 pm and we are just getting home.......there were way to many Lowe's on the way home!

We went to the plant sale and after Lane saying we didn't have to buy anything we can just look ...... came away with 7 more plants......I ONLY PICKED OUT 1!!! HE is worse than me! Lovely to have a hubby who enables your addiction!!

I so enjoyed meeting everyone and will spend all day Sunday finding just the right homes for all my lovelies. Can't wait till the fall!

• kay75052
    17 years ago

Yeah!! It was a great swap! I really had a great time. Thanks everyone for all the wonderfull plants; Sylvia for putting it all together, and Venessa for the rooting demo. I learned the correct way to root roses :-)
    Barefoot Brenda, sorry, I gotten sidetrack and forgot to leave you my water iris plants. You live close to me so if you can email me with your addy I can just drop it off for you. Thanks.

• remuda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen, I sent you email through GW. If you didn't get it, check your spam folder. If it's not there, could you email me please??

Kristi

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

WHAT A BLAST!!! I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed the swap! I figured I'd enjoy it, but I didn't know how much! And I sure never knew Houston would have enjoyed it, too--I brought him because I needed the help, and I thought it would be a drudgery for him, but he said he's already looking forward to the fall swap!

I loved meeting you all in person (well, I didn't get to meet ALL of you--some of you got away before I got to meet you--you won't be so lucky next time), and it's so nice to be able to put faces with names.

Mitch, you got away before I could thank you for translating for me. That was a happy surprise, and I really appreciated it.

THANK YOU to everybody who traded with me, and especially to the ones who gave so much more than they got. Some even just *gave* me plants, without taking anything of mine. You all are a generous bunch, and so much fun to hang out with. What a group!

Kristi, you have e-mail! :)

• venessa
    17 years ago

I had a great time as always. I will be spending today getting everything in the ground.

Sylvia I hate that we didn't get to visit much but we'll get together soon. Hope the roses do well for you.

Melvalena, hope Charlotte will fit what you are looking for. I also have The Pilgrim I can root if you think it will work. Just let me know.

Danna, I will look around my yard to see what roses I have that you may like and send you a list.

Weldon, thanks so much for the cuttings to do the demos on and for the mini cuttings. They are all set and ready to root.

It was so good to see everyone again and to meet new people. I can't wait until fall.

I know I'm forgetting people and I apologize but ya'll met me so I'm sure you're not surprised as scatter brained as I am. :O)

Venessa

• melvalena
    17 years ago

Venessa, Yes I think that one will work.

If you're going to be rooting more roses, yes I'd like one of The Pilgram as well.

I'll work on the Theresa Bugnet Rose cuttings for you. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like that I can find/arrange for you.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Dannab....Where are you? I noticed this morning that I still have your summer sun sun drop plant, being planted from seed I started it inside and just transplanted it this week to take to you and wouldn't you know it I forgot to grap it on the way out the door yesterday.
    I don't know how far you are from me or if you come my way... if not I can hold on to it and give it to you in the fall? It is so tiny right now that it's going to take a year before it will put on a show anyhow.
    Let me know what you wish to do and I'm so sorry I forgot.
    Barb

• dannab1
    17 years ago

Venessa,
    Thanks! Hopefully the ones I got from you are sending down new little roots as I type! I plan to look up the names after I finish planting this evening. Thanks again!

WHY DID I TAKE SO MANY GREAT PLANTS HOME???? I am excited about filling in all my gaping holes in my beds with great plants but boy are my muscles complaining! Bet I'm not the only one reaching for the advil!

Kristi-- wishing I had take more of the ruella! It is a different leaf from mine, can't wait to see it bloom and compare!

I was taking boxes and shoving them in the SUV so fast I didn't hardly look at them. WOW have I got some nice plants!! Y'all did good!

• remuda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"wishing I had take more of the ruella! It is a different leaf from mine, can't wait to see it bloom and compare!"

LOL, well you shoulda just grabbed up some more!! *IF* you still need more in the fall, I'm sure it can be arranged ;).

Kristi

• dannab1
    17 years ago

Barb, I can get it in the fall if you don't mind babysitting it for me! We are at W. Tawkoni so a pretty far drive. I know I will be back for the fall swap....what fun!

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Ok, Danna I will save it for you and hopefully by then it will be big enough to plant.
    I've never tried growing this from seed so I don't know how it will turn out. I had two one did great the other not so great.
    The one that did great has not come up this year so I guess it's a short lived perennial or something happened to it.

• barefoot_in_texas
    17 years ago

Thanks so much to everyone who was willing to trade plants for hot dogs. This was so much fun. We wanted to go to the Southside Preservation sale, but, alas, the truck was pretty full so we had to pass. DH really had a great time even though he said we were all crazy for being out in that cold. Got home, unloaded and had to build a fire to get warm. So many great plants and such wonderful people to share the day with. Can't wait till fall. Most everything is in the ground now and I too have taken a few Advil. The rain we're getting right now is just what the doctor ordered for my new babies. Thank you all so much.

• water0125
    17 years ago

Sounds like everyone had a good time! We had a great time on vacation. Rather sad to come back to cold and rain. Anyway, it sounds like lots of people will be at the swap on the 28th. I have family in town that weekend, so I don't think that I'll be able to come out. Augh! Babies are waking now, so I'll have to post more later. Thanks!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Kristi, was the ruella the small leafed (pink)? I can take more to Carol Ann's swap if anyone is interested.

• remuda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carrie, I don't know. I took a few of both kinds ;). They were all well marked though so maybe Danna can tell us.

Kristi

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

What's up?

everybody in this jabbery bunch is quiet now???

Surely we can think of 24 more things, oops, 23 more things to say.

(just keep Ripley's in mind...)

I've "rescued" some more plants, don't know what they are yet, it was already dark when I got home.

After I got grounds at Starbucks, I picked up a big bag of what I thought would be leaves for the compost heap.

That bag was purty heavy, though.

got home, dumped it all out, it's a whole bag full of some sort of bulbs, complete with green foliage!

Cross fingers & stay tuned, details manana!

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

WooHoo Sylvia you're their Night-ress in Shining Armour.
    I'm waving my hands saying save some for me!!
    Post tomorrow with your thought of what they are.
    Debbie

• remuda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Do ya know yet, huh, huh, huh???? LOL, looking forward to hearing about your latest score :)

Kristi

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

WOW, way to go Sylvia......I'll be checking back to see what ya got.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Here we go.

What is it???

• tina_2
    17 years ago

I'll bet my fav. shovel, those bulbs are ''naked ladies'' / spider lillies.
    Good Score - tina_2

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Could be NL's but I don't know for sure. Weldon was looking for some of those.

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Sylvia they look pretty healthy. Would you hold onto some of those for me & if I don't see ya until the fall trade I'll collect em from you then.

hehehe I'll promise you more brownies.

I swear you must have a plant magnet in you!!

Debbie

• melvalena
    17 years ago

Take a sniff of a cut leaf/stem. If it smells like garlic, its garlic chives.
    I use them to line beds, they fill in fast and thick--and during the heat of the summer send up tall stalks with white flowers on 'em that wave in the breeze. They stay evergreen too. In the spring, clean 'em up, pull the brown leaves out of the beds and you're done. You can use them like monkey grass but they get a bit taller. If you don't like 'em you can pull 'em out, unlike monkey grass that you never can get rid of.

I like to snip some leaves and scramble them with eggs, or anything else I'm cooking.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Thanks all.

I sniffed, didn't detect any oniony smell, went out & broke off a piece of what I know to be garlic chive, sniffed it, there's a difference.

Plus, the garlic chives aren't nearly as tall as these, & the bulb or onion isn't nearly as big.

So I'm clearing off a spot under a tall deciduous tree!

Yay!

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Could be pink rain lilies.
    Jim