Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have: trinity park swap, part iii

Posted by remuda1 7b Hood Co TX (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 07 at 11:38

First off, I can't believe that this is the 301st post on this thread. Pretty amazing!

Natalie, when you turn into the park, go to the left and follow that road around......

Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have: trinity park swap, part iii

Kristi, what time is this shindig supposed to kick off? If it's still cold I'm gonna want to get in and out cause I'm bringing my mom again. Cheryl

o

Thanks for the replies!

Debbie--
Thanks for the houseplant offers. I would love a cutting of the spider plant, hoya, and burrows tail. When I looked up mother of thousands, one of the first links was that it is poisonous. I know that lots of plants are slightly poisonous, but something about the link concerned me -- don't remember exactly what it said, but I think that I'll pass on that one. I'll bring some catmint and bee balm. I think that the bee balm was monarda?! I can't find my original plant description. It was supposed to be red flowers. Right now, the plant is very low to the ground, but last year, when we put it in, it was a bit taller. I'll bring some anyway.

Sylvia--Thank you, I would love some peppermint and chocolate mint!

--Natalie.

o

Cheryl, we start at 10 AM, but some of us will try to be there earlier, & the prize drawings & rose propagation workshop will be just before noon.

I hope you & your mom can stay for those things;
they're the 2 "new & improved" features of our very casual swap!

Natalie, I'll bring peppermint & chocolate mint for you!

Just to try to make directions as clear as possible:

When you're northbound on University just north of I-30, you'll turn *right* into the park, & then the little road or trail winds around left & right & everywhere.

Both of the covered areas have been reserved all day, so if anyone has portable covered things, can't think of the name, like a tent with no sides, please bring them, just in case.

I watered everything thoroughly today so the plants will have as little stress as possible, & I'll box them up tomorrow & label them.

Can't believe it's nearly here!

This is like Christmas:

I've been so psyched up about it for so long, I'm already sad because it's nearly here & that means it's nearly over.

Hey, did I ever claim to be a grown-up???

o

I am so EXCITED! I have tomorrow off so will be like a little kid on Christmas eve all day getting ready!

If anybody wants seed for native milkweed, tropical milkweed, or indian paintbrushes bring a SAS envelope and I will mail them to you when they are ready!

o
Sorry, me again!

I have this lovely blooming spring plant I can share but I have no idea what it is! Any help??
Help! What is it? Each bright yellow bloom open about thumb size, the plant is about knee high. The seeds are round with a soft thorn looking thing sticking out the bottom.

Oh, by the way....I think I figured out how to post images!!

o

I dont know but I would love some!!

I have three teachers at school who MIGHT come!!

The kids would love Honeysuckle - they really love everything...

o

Are we going to have a rain date if needed?
The forecast is not looking good and this is so upsetting. It shows the lows Saturday night to be 33 degrees. My plants are doing so good just about everything has blooms or buds and filled out. I don't have enough blankets to cover everything. This is when I wish I had a doom to put over my piece of land (sigh)

Here is a link that might be useful: 7-day forecast for latitude 33N and longitude -97.21w (elev. 630ft)

o

I was going to ask the same thing... maybe we could all meet there at one time to swap plants and head to home ya think? I have too many things out already ... and where do we start to cover? At least everything on here says we will stay above the 32 mark... might hurt some things but not kill anything I hope.... All the tropicals are up and going strong, hate to lose them this year...

Just in case anyone have some castor bean seeds?

o

uh-oh.

Cold weather Saturday.

One possibililty is that, although the pavilions have been reserved, the people who reserved them may not show up.

Does anyone have a tent?

Meeting rooms at the Botanic Gardens start at $175, much more than we could collect passing the hat.

We've had swaps at a pizza place in Haltom City twice, I think it was called Charlie's;
we did the swaps on the parking lot & visited & had lunch inside.

Does anyone know of a VFW or American Legion hall or a church in the area?

I'll be happy to run around tomorrow to make arrangements.

The only other choices I can think of are to go ahead with the swap at the park & just run back & forth to our cars,
or to postpone the swap til next week-end.

Y'all let me know what you want to do.

(I'll keep thinking; maybe something will come to mind.)

o
RE: oops

sorry, I started my post & had to run take care of something, so your posts hit before mine did.

o

Ummmm how about anyone know a small church in the Arlington/Grand P. area that would work?

To me maybe we could get a place around the Parks Mall? Or maybe we could meet at the Cheedars I20 and Carrier Parkway? (Can you I live South? lol)

o
sorry

Cheddar's - sorry!

o

If the weather is as bad as it say's it might be I doubt anyone would be at the pavilions but I'm not sure how many traders are willing to go because of the cold rain.
If we do go it might be a quick trade and go and that kinda leaves you flat because part of the trade is getting together.
Maybe we should take a vote to see who wants to wait till next week and who wants to go ahead with the trades?

o

How about an office building or chuch with a parking garage? At least we would be out of the rain. I don't know the area at all!

o

I don't know the area either.
What ever you decide is fine with me, but here are my thoughts:

I think it would be easier on everyone to postpone rather than take the chance on nasty weather and traveling the highways in it to swap plants.
The next thing that floats across my mind is the cold/wet and getting chilled and sick from staying out in it. Its one thing if you HAVE to be out in it, its another to chose to be out in it when you don't really have to.

Flirting with sickness or death/injury is kinda crazy don't ya think?

ON the other hand....when is the weather ever as bad as its predicted? :)

o
Rednecks for the naked ladies!!!!

Mitch, you are going to love this..........Name that Plant forum identified it as Baptisia sphaerocarpa

upon further research I found the attached catalog link......the common name is........

YELLOW REDNECK LUPINE

I'm so proud....and the seed source is right here in my home county! After reading the description I guess I will go dig lots up and transplant to the front before letting the neighbors goats in!

Anyone else want any YELLOW REDNECK LUPINE???? (also called, but not as amusing, yellow wild indigo!)

Think I'll go plant some with my naked ladies.......hmmm.....can just hear myself telling my Mom next year....."Oh, you have to come over this weekend and see the naked ladies and rednecks!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Redneck Lupines

o

Sylvia I'm open to whatever we end up doing, however my daughter told me tonight that she didn't want the girls out in the weather if it turns out that bad.
I haven't talked to Donna to see what she thinks but I'll be there freezing with a smile on my face & yes running to the car to warm up.
A warm building would be nice LOL or postponing it until next weekend would also be fine with me.
Parks mall does have covered parking but who knows if we could all park together. Also the old Forum 303 mall has covered parking - don't know what it would be like on Saturday but it's at Pioneer Pkwy & 360.

Debbie

o

Redneck Lupine - well just perfect... just perfect...

Is the old forum 303 mall easy to spot? Sounds like a perfect place to meet up in the covered parking area.... if we still want to meet up - covered we could still meeet and talk some. It would work for me... if that is what we wanted to do.

o

I have made the decision not to go to the swap due to the weather this Saturday. I had pneumonia back in Jan and don't want to rist getting it again. Anyone that is willing to wait till next week to trade let me know.

o

I'm definitely willing to wait until next week......I have to agree with Melvalena and Barb. I would also like to continue to use the Trinity Park location. With good weather, it's a beautiful setting and wonderful for meeting and greeting.

Not to mention all of the work here that needs to be done to protect the plants in the ground. Just bad luck this time.....

Oh, and most importantly of all....I would LOVE some Redneck Lupine!

Kristi

o

It sounds like we need to postpone.

You're right on all counts:
enjoyment factor reduced by physical misery
risk of colds, etc
can't take kids out in it
even if we found another place, we'd still have to run in & out to look/trade/unload/load plants, so we'd be out in the weather anyway.
Trinity Park is a wonderful setting & it's too short a notice to find another spot.

Sooooo.....

Next week-end, same time, same place.

o

Next weekend WORKS FOR ME!!!
What's one more week of that pile of stuff in my driveway? :)

Melvalena <-----pulling everything in the garage that she can and covering what can't be moved.

o

"What's one more week of that pile of stuff in my driveway?"

Amen, Sistah!

I'm thinking that there may be a bonus/silver lining to this anyway:

Two people (that I know of) who wanted to come but couldn't due to family obligations this week-end may be able to come next week-end.

o

Thank you Sylvia. Think it's a good idea for all of the reasons you listed. LOL, I will be very glad to pass on all the containers I've been baby-sitting for the swap but I am definitely grateful for the opportunity to get it done in warmer weather. And truly the biggest reason to postpone is that swaps are all about enjoyment on SO many levels. The plants, the people, the fellowship, the food, the beautiful setting out there......all of these would suffer greatly in inclement weather.

Actually, I am already enjoying the anticipation more right now knowing that we won't all be popsicles out there!

Kristi

o

Oh, I am very sad. We will be out of town next weekend! :( Well, this was a good opportunity for me to try my hand at propagating plants, which I really haven't done before. I've got my bee balm and catmint potted up, so we'll see how they do! :) If they're still alive after vacation, I'll post and see if anyone wants any!
Have fun ya'll.
--Natalie.

o

WHAT???!!!! I have to hang on to these house plants until you get back???

just kidding Natalie! Maybe you can come to the Near FtWorth swap and get them? Its at the end of the month.

o

Natalie, what area are you in?

Maybe you & I, or you & Melva, or you & Melva & I, could make the exchanges before you leave.

I have 3 good-sized pots of mints for you.

If you don't have time before you leave, be sure to let me know when you get back.

o

Next weekend can work if that is what we need to do.

o

YEAH FOR NEXT WEEK-END. Maybe I can make it. Let's see if we can get another 333 Posts between now and then!!!

Weldon

o

Okay this is good. I was worried about cooking in the rain. Next weekend works great for me. I would love some redneck lupine.

o

Next weekend sounds good. I don't think I can bring my two little ones out in this crazy weather forecasted for tomorrow.
See ya'll then :-)

o

After the day that I've had it really sounds good to me. Son ran over a curb early this morning and messed up his car so I was driving him all around today looking for part's, having it looked at to see if there was any damage to the under carriage, no damage there.
He's fine, but my nerves and everyone else nerves are shot right now LOL.
I'm ready for a long relaxing night to try and get back on track HA if that's possible.

o

Hi all. Count me in for next wkend. Oh, I would love some of the ''redneck lupines'' also!lol
tina_2

o

Barb, what an awful day! Take it easy tonight and you'll be back on track tomorrow!

o

Carrie751, if you're reading this, I've been struggling with a computer virus all day. DS went on his MySpace, clicked on an unknown "friend request" and the whole computer went haywire. I don't want to respond to you through e-mail, since I don't know how this thing is transmitted and I don't want to infect anybody else. It's pure evil. ANYWAY, thanks for the heads-up about the schedule change, and I'll be in touch about making other plans with you for digging plants. I'm hoping to still be able to come.

Sylvia, it makes sense to me to wait, especially since I'm driving 2.5 hours to get there! I'm hoping to still attend.

o

Bo, you better come, girl, I've got about a zillion plants with your name on them!

o

Thank you, Melvalena.. It was much more excitement than I need, only excitement I want in life now days is over plants blooms and doing good or getting new plants and making gardening friends :) that would be my perfect world.
I am truely thankful that my DS didn't get hurt or hurt anyone else with his accident.

Wow Bo- Berrin your driving a long way for this swap..I know the feeling of kid's and computers, we came home one day from a day out and friends of our son had been on our's most of the day and they did something to where we had nothing at all on the computer just a black screen, took DH all day to get it back.

o

Next weekend will be great because after we swap we can all straggle over to the Botanic Gardens for the Iris Show. I'm so glad that we can postpone this. I was out watering this morning and it was awful cold. That wind was miserable. My plants will keep another week just fine. Cheryl

o

Well here's to waitting until next week haha. Back to ANTICIPATION.

Natalie
Where do you live? I live in Grand Prairie. Maybe we can get together to do our exchange ..... or if you're back in town before April 28th I'll also be attending the trade in Joshua. I think there are several of us planning to attend there too so maybe it can still work out for you. I'm sorry you won't be in town next week ... but keep your chin up!!

I sure hope everyone else is able to change their schedule to attend next weekend. I know Donna was as happy as I was that it got postponed so we weren't turned into human popscicles. LOL

Jim got home tonight & started lugging all the plants into the house only took us about 45 min, but with the front & back doors open it sure got cold in here & I had to freeze awhile so the plants didn't go into shock from the drastic temp change.

All my babies are either safe in the house or tucked into their beds with blankies.

See ya next Saturday,
Debbie

o

Thank Goodness we postponed! Here's what I saw outside this morning!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Wind chills here are in the 20s.....LOL, it's seventy four in my house :)!

Kristi

o

Brrrr Kristi, I saw a few little snowflakes here this am but the air is calm.
Your iris are standing tall & proud maybe they will make it through this.
My Christmas Amarylis is in full bloom again & luckily it is in a pot so she's safe inside

o

I'm SOOOO glad we postponed! The kids had been sick, but they've been recovered for a few days; I thought I'd dodged the bullet, but nope. I feel awful! I can't tell you how glad I am that this didn't hit me while on the road. And I'm also glad I won't be spreading this nasty bug to the rest of you!

I'm glad we covered our plants. We ended up getting about an inch of snow accumulation here before it started melting. It continued to snow all day, and supposedly there's more on the way.

I'm still trying to rearrange things to be at the swap Saturday. It would break my heart to miss it!

o

Looks like I missed the coldest weather here.. rose buds and veggies still look ok.

Cannot wait for next weekend.

o

Ok so I've finally had time to catch up on some rest. I sat down and started getting some instructions ready for the rose rooting workshop. Here is what you will need to bring if interested in doing it.

Clear plastic cups
something to poke holes in the cups
labels that are water proof
and something called Bed a Beast- I get this at Petsmart in the reptile area. It is a cocoa fiber type stuff. It comes in a brick form and cost around $5. It would be best to soak this at home the night before the swap just to have it ready. A whole brick will be way to much for someone doing a small amount of roses because it will expand and be alot.

If anyone has any questions for me feel free to email me at venessap1@hotmail.com or messenger me.

Now I need to get back to laundry :O)

Venessa

o

Vanessa,
Do we need our own rose cutting?
If so how long should it be?
How big of a plastic cup?
Also how many starts will one brick usually make?

If anyone has an everblooming rosebush I sure would love a start from it.

Debbie

o

16 oz cups are good but you can go a little smaller than that, just don't get the tiny ones. I usually only put 3 or 4 cuttings per cup. They should be the clear ones so that you can see if the cuttings have roots. I have a bad habit of constantly checking them and it's not good to disturb the cutting because you can break off small roots.

I can't say exactly how many starts a brick will make but it's a lot. I know I've done about 25 or more varieties and still had some left over. Of course it will also depend on what size cups you use.

I have been wondering about weather everyone should bring their own cuttings or not. Maybe yes and then we can trade with others :) the cuttings work best if they are at least 12 inches long. Some people like to use shorter cuttings but I just like the longer ones better.

Something else everyone will need will be a mister. I'm bringing the one I started out with to show how I set it up. I think it only cost $10 and I'm sure there are cheaper ones.

o
Can't come Apr 14

I won't be able to come Apr 14. :^( Unfortunately we already committed to the church picnic that day. For those people trading with me I'll be going to the Collin County Rose Society plant swap on Apr 15. I may also be going to the Joshua plant swap on Apr 28. Otherwise we may meet again in Autumn. Take care.

Sherman

o

Venessa, I have coir (cocoanut fiber). I'll have some already soaked, and some bricks = $2.00 each.
You may want to check it out and compare with what you are getting before using.
I can also bring about 2 doz. cups w/holes in bottom.
Weldon

o

Yes coir is what it's called I just couldn't think of the word. Where do you get yours? I have been looking for a cheaper place.

o
RE: have: Hey, Barb!

How much liatris/monkey grass/ are you wanting?

I just got a trash bag full.

well, not full, but as full as I could get it & still lift it into the car.

I'm going to try to find a cardboard box & line it with the trash bag & put the clumps in there for the time being.

too hard to separate all those roots, find pots, etc.
(& pots take up more room than boxes!)

o

Hey everyone I was wondering if one of you may have some cuttings of these roses.

Angel Face (A wonderful lady gave me a great bush of this but the moles killed it)
Oklahoma
Love
Crown Princess margareta (I really want this one)
Climbing Pinkie (Thanks to Sylvia for mentioning this one)
Also does anyone grow David Austins?

Also who quilts? I know Sylvia use to but I thought someone else did as well. I am in desperate need of some help if there is time at the swap.

o

Silvia I will take some of your liatris/monkey grass. Is that your last rescue? Didn't you say before that you had rescued something else? Fess up what all have you been recuing & how in the world do you find things to rescue?
Debbie

o

Sylvia, my son needs as much as he can get, he's putting it on both sides of the sidewalk going up to the porch. So the total lenght is maybe 30 feet.

o

Vanessa, I'm a quilter. Do you still need supplies? I have most of my stuff packed away right now, long story, but I could dig somethings out if you need something specific. Also, I am planning to be at the swap quite early (to get a good spot, ya know) so if you want to we could chat then. You can call me on my cell phone. I'll e-mail you the number. Cheryl

o

I'm a new member and late with this posting. I plan to attend the Ft. Worth Swap.
Here's my list if anyone has anything left to trade - if not I'll bring what I have and hope for the best.
WANT:
Columbine
Ginger
Mint
Castor bean plant/seed
Brugs
Clematis adaptable to zone 8
River fern
Trailing verbena
Anything cascading for pots
Rose cutting Seven Sisters

HAVE:
Hyacinth Bean Vine - 4"Plants
Black eye susan - 4" plants
Crinum fall bloom (4)
Honeysuckle (3)
Wood Fern (shade)

o

Venessa - I'm a quilter too. Maybe between us we can help you out. Also - anybody want any Mexican Petunia?

o

Alrighty, here's my final list :). Let me know of any mistakes or ommissions, kay?

Tina
For you: A turk's cap, two ferns, an heirloom tomato, and a peter pepper
For me: A mixed perennial pot with scented iris

Dorothy
For you: Two turk's cap, a 4 nerve daisy, a gayfeather
For me: An apron

Bo berrin
For you: A jalapeno pepper, a bell pepper and peter pepper seeds
For me: Poppies

Barefoot
For you: A turk's cap, an Heirloom tomato
For Me: Lunch

Sylvia
For you: A fern, an Heirloom tomato, a gayfeather, your pick from the extras below
For me: a well endowed iris, a blue mist, a mauve crinum, a backhoe iris

Kay
For you: A Jamaica yellow brug
For me: Pink brug

Mitch
For you: A turk's cap, 2 4nerve daisies, 2 gayfeather
For me: goldenrod, yarrow

Danna
For you: A 4nerve daisy, a gayfeather
For me: Carolina jasmine

Venessa
For you: 2 4nerve daisies, 2 gayfeather
For me: fall aster, La. iris

Barb
For you: A 4nerve daisy, a gayfeather, some liriope and if you want it, a fern.
For me: Chocolate mint, black and blue salvia

Melvalena
For you: 2 4nerve daisies
For me: wood sorrel

Weldon
For you: Heartleaf iceplant
For me: rudbeckia

Here are some of the extras I will be bringing:
Variegated canna
Tall red canna
Short yellow canna
White crinum
Clerodendrum
Society garlic
Pink ruellia
Purple ruellia
Heartleaf iceplant
Lady in red salvia seedling
Shasta daisies
Chili petin ornamental pepper

Other than the chips and dips, I think that's it. If ya'll want any of the extras, LOL can we just talk about it at the swap? My brain is fried, I tell ya!

Looking forward to seeing everyone and hope it's not TOO chilly out there.

Kristi

o

Welcome dirtmomma (love that name)!

I can bring you 2 or 3 kinds of mint for sure, & some Seven Sisters cuttings.

I'd love to have some wood fern.

I'm sure there's enough monkey grass for Barb & Debbie.

I don't do these "rescues" on purpose.
I just go along, minding my own business...

The backhoe irises I noticed in a construction zone, so I had to stop there.

The 2nd batch of irises were in the yard of a house I sold;
They had been neglected for so long that they were blocking the gate, & I knew the buyer would just mow 'em down or smash 'em down to open the gate, so he told me I could take them.

The liatris/monkey grass...
When I pick up grounds at Starbucks, I always take a "scenic" route back to the house, to see if anyone has tossed out bags of autumn leaves for the compost heap.

Yesterday, no leaves, but a homeowner had cut down a dead tree & stuffed the leftover tree scraps & the liatris that had surrounded the tree into a huge cardboard box at the curb.

so I stopped & rang the bell & asked him if he was throwing his plants away (duh sylvia-but better safe than sorry!).

told him I'd take them to the garden club;
I knew I'd never make anybody who'd throw plants away understand a plant swap.

so I'm sure that today there's one more person who thinks I'm nuts...

o

Kristi-
If your crinum is solid white, I'd love to have one.
I have the "milk & wine" (white with deep mauve throat & veining), & I have solid mauve.

I had on my list that I was to bring more irises, I'm thinking Crimson King (historic) & maybe Anxious or something (where's my list? somewhere safe, no doubt!)

o

Okay Sylvia, white crinum is yours. But I'm sure I will be sneaking some other things into your car too :). Was the rest of what I have for you correct? If I lost my list, I would cry at this point!! LOL, I'm considering laminating it!

Kristi

o

dirtmomma - I would love to trade your Crinum for columbine. Let me know or I am not going to dig this up...

Venessa - I have a cutting of Oklahoma for you. It is still small but I can get a good cutting from it.

I cannot wait!!

o

it's a deal
Silvia gets my wood fern
I get mints and 7 Sisters cuttings

Daylilly gets my crinum
I get columbine

thanks to you both

o

• Posted by dannab1 8. W. Tawakoni (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 07 at 23:30

Here is what I have, let me know if I missed anything or anybody.....
BARB-
For YOU
-Boston fern
-Milkweed
-coral honeysuckle
-carolina jasmine
From you
-Henry Duelberg salvia
-pink salvia
-choc. Mint
-spearmint
-Summer Sun sundrop
-obedient
-vinca

KRISTI-
For YOU
--carolina jasmine
-redneck lupine (wild false indigo)s
From you:
-gayfeather
-four nerve daisy

MINIJERSEY-
For YOU
-I have a couple of honeysuckle vines

SYLVIA-
For YOU
-Milkweed
-pots
-coral honeysuckle
-white honeysuckle
-pines
From you
-Kwanzo daylily
-Wandering jew
-Backhoe iris
-choc mint
-Artemisia oriental limelight
-variegated vinca

MITCH-
For You
-redneck lupine (wild false indigo)
-carolina jasmine
-Pine saplings,
-coral honeysuckle (White also?)
From you
-Surprise!
-unnamed daylilies?

TINA (barefoot)
For YOU
-Boston fern
From you
-grape kool-aid iris
-perennial pot

KAY-
For YOU
-yellow jasmine
-coral honeysuckle
-native honeysuckle
From you
-rosemary

VENESSA-
For YOU
-quilting books
From you
-rose

DOROTHY
FOR YOU-
Blue-eyed grass
FROM YOU
Beauty berry

TINA_2-
FOR YOU-

DEBBIE-
FOR YOU-
-spiderwort
-jasmine

o

LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble keeping up.....

Danna, tina2 is the one with the grape iris and barefoot is bringing lunch :).

Kristi

o

I finally got everything arranged/rearranged, and I can come! I was afraid I might not be able to make it, but everything finally worked out. I'll be bringing my 16-year old son for company on the five hours of driving for this trip, not counting the driving we'll do running around Ft. Worth!

My poppies suffered a little bit from the cold even though they were covered, but they look like they survived okay. Just a little bit of brown on some leaf edges. I'll try to choose good ones for the swap. The blackfoot daisies did fine, and of course, the two types of cacti did fine too.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of you there!

o

Dannab - I think you have Tina and I confused. I'm bringing lunch and had asked for beauty berry and redneck lupine. Brenda

o

Thu, Apr 12, 07 at 19:18

This is so confusing!
Thanks Kristi, I think I have it right now!!

Sorry Brenda!- Dorothy has the beauty berry I think not me! I have you down for a lupine and you for food!!

TINA_2-
FOR YOU-
-boston fern
FROM YOU
-grape kool-aid iris
-perennial pot

this will be so much easier after having some Faces and names connected! I have a hard enough time remembering names when I can see the person! I just thought being blonde was rough, now adding age onto it is not looking good!!

Can't wait to meet y'all!

o
RE: Speak Now....

...or forever hold your horses!

Here's what I hope is my "final answer" list.
Please let me know if I have left anyone or anything off!
Here's what I'm BRINGING each trader.

KRISTI:
blue mistflower
mauve crinum
Iris Well-Endowed
Backhoe irises
rescue irises

LIZ:
2 Kolanchoes
Asian Jasmine
green vinca
variegated vinca

CHERYL:
black lava rock
irises Well Endowed, ruffled blue, & found

BARB:
Louisiana irises
liriope
red yarrow

DEBBIE:
blue mistflower
daylilies Kwanzo
4 o'clocks
Irises Well-Endowed & Crimson King

WELDON:
grape hyacinth
metal plant stand

BRENDA:
mauve 4 o'clock
Salvia Black & Blue
blue mistflower

BO:
4 o'clocks
crepe myrtle (small, don't know color for sure, but almost all mine are white)
rescue iris
Kwanzo daylilies
Well-Endowed iris
red yucca
century plant

DANNA:
Artemesia Oriental Limelight
chocolate mint
various irises
green & purple Moses in the Boat
Kwanzos
mauve crinum
variegated vinca

KAY
garlic
mystery iris
mauve 4 o'clock
Green Moses in the Boat

DOROTHY:
bog plants
vinca
Hyacinth bean vine

VENESSA:
purple coneflower
alligator

DIRTMAMMA:
at least 2 kinds of mint, 3 if the one I potted up today does at all well.

NATALIE:
I'm bringing mint for you in hopes that you make it.
If you can't, someone else can use mint, I'm sure, & I guarantee you that I'll have more in the autumn!

If I can get one more thing into the vehicle, I'll bring the red & gold garden ball & a nice planter of chocolate mint for prizes.

I had to move every single blessed plant today;
I had put them into their boxes last Thursday, & then the Arctic blew in, so instead of being in their new homes, they sat there twiddling their little green thumbs all week.

& over the past week there's been just enough moisture in the air to make the cardboard a little mushy.

so what would someone like in trade for a gallon bottle of aspirin???

I really am looking forward to this swap, it sounds like we'll have a lot of old friends to re-connect with, & a lot of new friends to meet...& lots of plants to fuel our addiction & lots of food to keep up our strength!

& the Ft Worth Iris Society has graciously arranged their Spring Show right across the street!

can't wait!

o

OK - I need tina_2 and jetman1979 to send me an email please....

I have almost everything ready to go - some of them are not the happy go lucky dwellers they are most of the time... but they are looking ok and ready to go.

I have one extra goldenrod and one extra yarrow out of the ground and ready. I also have two tomatoes plants if anyone wants them - I have a few odds and ends I am bringing for free too.. . . . I think I am ready!

o

anybody want some white yarrow?
it's the tall kind, & I guarantee it'll look like it's dead before it perks up, transplanting just seems to affect yarrow that way.

this is a very robust kind, may be a native, & it'll spread like a rumor!

full sun, drought tolerant once established, ferny foliage, blooms in summer when you think you're gonna die from the heat before you ever see another flower, absolutely carefree...but it does spread.

o

Sylvia,
Ya forgot my backhoe irises & monkey grass, also if you have extras of the new suprise irises I'd like some of them too. While I'm at it if the yarrow can do Ok in morning sun or afternoon sun I'd like some of it to try.
Thanks,
Debbie

o

OK here is my final list. Please let me know if I missed anything or any one

Sylvia
brownies
morning glories
black hollyhocks

from you:
Mauve 4 o'clock,
Well Endowed,Crimson King, Backhoe irises,
surprise irises???
yarrow?????
Monkey grass
bog plants for Donna

Tina_2
brownies
pumpkin bread
cannas (which I was informed that they are some kind of Lilly)
P Lavender Lady cutting
Shell vine cutting

from you:
GH frame
pink 4 o'clock
Grape iris
mint
rectangular pots

Dorothy
Purple Hyacinth bean vine
Datura

from you:
apron

Danna
Morning Glories
Mother of Thousands
Easter Egg plant
Passion vine cutting

from you:
Spider-wort
Jasmine

o

Sylvia, I'd like a little bit of that hardy white yarrow if you still have any left. Cheryl

o

I'm getting excited! Can't wait to see all of you old timers (snork!) again and meet all of you new faces!!

Kristi

o

Sylvia - you forgot the water iris. Debbiedo - If you have a spare black hollyhock I would love to have one.

o
Name Tags

I may have missed it, but is anyone bringing name tags? If not, I can pop into Office Depot and pick some up and bring a Sharpie so we can put our screen name and our real name on them.

o

I have name tags and sharpies I can bring.

o

Okey dokey

o
daylily

daylily - I would love to have a goldenrod and if your tomatos need a home my veggie garden is ready to take in the homeless.

o

ok, I'm adding for DEBBIE backhoe iris, mystery iris, liatris (I knew there was someone in addition to Barb!), white yarrow, bog plants, for barefoot BRENDA Louisiana iris, for CHERYL white yarrow.

I'll bring some slips of paper that we can sign & drop into a hat or flower pot or something for the prize drawings.

How do you all feel about picking the winners & letting them choose their prizes?

(I hardly ever win anything, & when I do it always seems to be something like a pair of mens bowling shoes & some construction worker wins the scented candle I really wanted!)

o

debbiedo - if you happen to have a spare black hollyhock I would love to have one. Brenda

o

Barefoot I have you ear marked for both tomatos and goldenrod. Do you have any plants left to trade?

Yarrow - I have a good blooming clump still ready to trade off if anyone is looking!

o

Well I'm getting ready to turn off my computer but wanted to add one last thing to my want list.

Does anyone have purple salvia greggii?

I am trying to get everything ready before the rain starts. Will try to be there early in the morning.

o
Opps

Opps I meant cuttings of the salvia :O)

o

LOL Sylvia! I think it's a good idea to let people choose a prize when their name is drawn. If somebody *still* ends up with a prize they can't use, they can always swap it. : )

o

OK I have a Demetrius and Wedding Band DL for trade - they are dug and already out there (they just are too big for their spot so a single fan of each had to go in there)Rose and native trades first - but these babies are going to find a home.

o

So...I'm guessing that in spite of the forecast for rain and very cold temps tomorrow hasn't dampened anyones intentions of doing this? Cheryl

o

Hi all. Has anyone seen this? You may want to check the site. It sounds very interesting. It sounds like a nice plant sale. Also, the proceeds go to restoring the place.
Just thought, I would mention it. tina_2

http://www.southsidepreservation.com/

o

Cheryl, I'm in denial. What about everybody else?

o

Yeppers!

Vi & her hubs loaded her stuff & my stuff in her truck to save time in the morning.

I think the wet weather will end late tonight, & the new overnight low is predicted to be in the high 40's, warming up tomorrow.

Can't wait to see everyone there!

o

The weather has already passed out here. I think it will be a GREAT day :). The plants will all appreciate the cooler weather. They can get to looking pretty sad in the heat. But Melvalena, don't forget the hot chocolate!!!!

Kristi

o
RE: tomorrow's swap

Kristi, glad you posted;
I was just watching the weather on tv, & it looked like your area was one of thehardest-hit.

Just now, tonight's low has been revised upward to 55.

Tina Tina Tina...

You've blossomed into a real plantaholic, plunkard enabler!
(atta girl!)

It does sound wonderful.

I don't know if Vi & I can make it to everything, swap, iris show, preservation society plant sale, but we're gonna do our best!

(Her husband'll probably never let her go anywhere with me again...)

o

Fri, Apr 13, 07 at 20:48

I'll be there! My little SUV is loaded to the gills.....if we cancel I will be parked at the entrance to the gardens handing out plants to every car!! I don't want to unload these again!!

One thing I have discovered about these native plants though, they hate to be potted up and left....some of mine are looking "angry" at me but I know they will look fine after getting in the ground for a while.

o

Dont worry I will be there -

o

Hubby just helped me get my truck loaded up too :). My shelving unit is gonna work great :).

Danna, hush your mouth girl...No one is cancelling out! I will hunt all of you down and deliver these plants to your doorsteps, but I CAN NOT come home with anything I am bringing!! However, I may have to beg a little help for unloading :).

Because of the weather forecasts, I had decided not to get there until about 11:00 but I'll be there no later than 10:00 since the coast will be quite clear in the morning.

Sylvia, thanks for the concern....we got quite lucky in that we had a bad patch pass us on the north and another one on the south. Just hard rain and high winds here, but no damage. I was VERY concerned for my mom and dad in Saginaw, but they were VERY lucky as well and only had to contend with some hail just less than golf ball size. Haltom City got hit hard and is only a stone's throw from them. Hope everyone else managed to escape damage as well.

See ya'll in the morning!

Kristi

o

Some of my poppies are looking sad. I've been reading that poppies don't like to be transplanted at all, but I *really* babied them. Between the snow, freezing temps, heavy winds, and transplanting, I'm really afraid for them. HOWEVER, in case they don't do well when planted, I'm bringing envelopes for people to put their addresses on so I can mail seeds later when my poppies...umm...pop.

o

NOTHING like tough plant lovers. I put a little cayenne on the crackers, that ought to help keep us warmed up. Someone may need to practice telepathy about 8:45 to 9 to make sure I'm on schedule to get there! and especially NOT to forget the cheese and "bouquet". Just before the rain/hail I went out and cut stems from: Autumn Damask, Cramoisi Superiour, Marie Pavie and Don Juan; mini's- Teddy Bear, Minnie Pearl, Rise N Shine, Rainbow's End --just in case someone needed a posey to practice on at the rooting demo.
I will also have these whole plants from which a few cuttings may be taken: Cherokee Rose (Sylvia has already been promised 1st choice), Martha Gonzales-in bloom and have a newly rooted one still in the cup-- Mlle Franziska Kreuger.
Mitch, I'm sure interested in those two daylilies. UH OH
I may have committed a Greek Goddess to someone and she's not been dug...telepathy please!!!

Weldon

o

Oh Weldon I will have to talk to you about those mini cuttings. I am really getting into the miniatures now. Oh and I can't remember if you wanted the Lavender Lassie or not?

o

One last check:

Poppies* to:
Barefoot
Tina
Sylvia
Kristi

Gardening books to:
Sylvia

Blackfoot daisies, lace cactus & other cactus to:
Mitch

*See my former note about the poppies. They're looking awfully droopy. : ( I'm only bringing the ones that have some life left in them, and I'll have to send you seeds to sow in the fall. It seems that's the only foolproof way to succeed with them. When you see them, you can decide if you'd still want to swap. No hard feelings if you'd rather not.

o

Venessa, YES to the Lavender Lassie.

Weldon

o

Rise and shine!!! Everyone up and loaded or getting loaded?

See ya there!

Melvalena<----heating the water

o

"Everyone up and loaded or getting loaded?"

Not yet Melvalena, I have to DRIVE!!! Hey....what are you putting in those hot toddies?????

Kristi

o

I'm up but not loaded. Spent too much time hiding in the bathtub last night with my dog :O)

Venessa

o

Weldon - trade ya them for a rose or two? I will have them marked for you - I cannot wait up way too eary (I am only an hour away . . . 5:30 might have been to early ) but I could not sleep...

o
thanks everyone

Love the swap - frozzzze but loved it, cannot wait for fall to try it all agian!

o

"Love the swap - frozzzze but loved it, cannot wait for fall to try it all agian!"

Yes well, you DID leave much too soon.....Poor Danna, Karen and Melvalena and Kay had to take way more stuff off my table than they wanted....welllll except for Karen, LOL!!! Those poor plant starved children, what are they going to do Mitch???

I had a great time, thanks to all who attended for making it SUCH an enjoyable swap. I hope everyone went home with everything they wanted and didn't take home anything they didn't want to LOL!! Hugs to all of you who helped clean off my table :). Thanks to Venessa for the great rose rooting demo as well and also to barefoot Brenda and her hubby for all of the hard work making sure we had full bellies :).

LOL, I stopped at Plant Shed on the way home and bought a Sweet Broom! I know a couple of people were headed to the Southside Preservation sale and the Lily sale at the Botanic Gardens.....Then a couple were also headed to Carrie's to dig plants, LOL We've all *lost it*.

Lastly, thank you Sylvia for getting the ball rolling on the swap. A complete success in my eyes.

Kristi

o

I had a great time meeting everyone and getting to catch up with Vanessa!

I've already unloaded the .... um ...I mean dropped off the plants for my son's house. :)

I was able to go home with less than I brought!

o

Thanks to everybody;
it took all of us to make it what it was: a blast!
an arctic blast maybe, but a blast nonethelesss.

Thanks especially to Venessa for the rose-rooting seminar, & to Weldon for donating cuttings.

(Note to self:
stay out of range of Venessa's pocketknife when she starts talking!)

Thanks to Brenda & hubs for luncheon (best "garden club luncheon" I ever had!) & to the folks (sorry, didn't get everyone's name) who ran the prize raffle.

My friend Vi & I stopped at the Iris Show (a *very* "enabling" event, I recommend it highly!) & just got home & unloaded our plants & I'm munching on the most delectable brownie right now this very minute.

All tired out now, but is it too early to say,
"Can't wait til autumn"???

o

A HUGE "THANK YOU" TO EVERYONE. I believe this to be the most enjoyable yet, maybe because I could stay longer. It was wonderful to see so many of you again and to meet new gardening friends. A special THANKS to the guys who came also. Mitch, I've already got the DL's in the ground and for sure had to cover up that naked lady! Some of the rest will have to wait--keeping 3 & 5 yr olds overnight. May prove to be a might taxing.
Sylvia, the plant stand is PERFECT!
Venessa--super job on the rooting lesson!
Weldon

o

I'd like to say Thank you to everyone also. This was a wonderful swap many great people new and oldies. I didn't realize I had so many plants to bring home. Somehow it just doesn't look like as much on here or paper but I'm sure I'll fine a happy home in the ground somewhere even if I have to go outside of the beds HA.
Weldon thank you for the brick stuff I don't know the name of it. I'll have to get busy with some cutting of my roses if I'm going to fill up the side fence with them.
My son enjoyed the swap and thanks everyone for giving him plants. I am very happy for him to see that men love gardening too, I think it helped him to make his mind up about planting more than just MAN PLANTS LOL... He took what I didn't get rid of and is going to plant them in his yard :)
He's is finding out how relaxing it is and a very good outlet when you have troubles on your mind too.
Thank you Sylvia for getting the swap rolling

o

The kids will have to just keep taking my extras here... lol... I was too cold I told Sylvia I had to get home and out of that weather! I am weak when it comes to the cold....

Sylvia - sooo what Iris did you come away with for the gardens? or is it more of a wish list?

I cannot wait to get out in the garden and find spots for these wonderful beauties.. I have to say I was on another site for a few years and their swaps are not that big and not half that much fun (even if I did have to leave early!)
I loved it and I cannot wait untill fall.

Sweet Broom - I cracked last week and bought one too... they are great plants from what I hear and I cannot wait to see it really going (I was cheap and bought the one gallon... so not much a show this year.)

o

Sat, Apr 14, 07 at 23:14

Well, I am totally hooked! This was so much fun! Although it is 10:00 pm and we are just getting home.......there were way to many Lowe's on the way home!

We went to the plant sale and after Lane saying we didn't have to buy anything we can just look ...... came away with 7 more plants......I ONLY PICKED OUT 1!!! HE is worse than me! Lovely to have a hubby who enables your addiction!!

I so enjoyed meeting everyone and will spend all day Sunday finding just the right homes for all my lovelies. Can't wait till the fall!

o

Yeah!! It was a great swap! I really had a great time. Thanks everyone for all the wonderfull plants; Sylvia for putting it all together, and Venessa for the rooting demo. I learned the correct way to root roses :-)
Barefoot Brenda, sorry, I gotten sidetrack and forgot to leave you my water iris plants. You live close to me so if you can email me with your addy I can just drop it off for you. Thanks.

o

Karen, I sent you email through GW. If you didn't get it, check your spam folder. If it's not there, could you email me please??

Kristi

o

WHAT A BLAST!!! I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed the swap! I figured I'd enjoy it, but I didn't know how much! And I sure never knew Houston would have enjoyed it, too--I brought him because I needed the help, and I thought it would be a drudgery for him, but he said he's already looking forward to the fall swap!

I loved meeting you all in person (well, I didn't get to meet ALL of you--some of you got away before I got to meet you--you won't be so lucky next time), and it's so nice to be able to put faces with names.

Mitch, you got away before I could thank you for translating for me. That was a happy surprise, and I really appreciated it.

THANK YOU to everybody who traded with me, and especially to the ones who gave so much more than they got. Some even just *gave* me plants, without taking anything of mine. You all are a generous bunch, and so much fun to hang out with. What a group!

Kristi, you have e-mail! :)

o

I had a great time as always. I will be spending today getting everything in the ground.

Sylvia I hate that we didn't get to visit much but we'll get together soon. Hope the roses do well for you.

Melvalena, hope Charlotte will fit what you are looking for. I also have The Pilgrim I can root if you think it will work. Just let me know.

Danna, I will look around my yard to see what roses I have that you may like and send you a list.

Weldon, thanks so much for the cuttings to do the demos on and for the mini cuttings. They are all set and ready to root.

It was so good to see everyone again and to meet new people. I can't wait until fall.

I know I'm forgetting people and I apologize but ya'll met me so I'm sure you're not surprised as scatter brained as I am. :O)

Venessa

o

Venessa, Yes I think that one will work.

If you're going to be rooting more roses, yes I'd like one of The Pilgram as well.

I'll work on the Theresa Bugnet Rose cuttings for you. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like that I can find/arrange for you.

o

Dannab....Where are you? I noticed this morning that I still have your summer sun sun drop plant, being planted from seed I started it inside and just transplanted it this week to take to you and wouldn't you know it I forgot to grap it on the way out the door yesterday.
I don't know how far you are from me or if you come my way... if not I can hold on to it and give it to you in the fall? It is so tiny right now that it's going to take a year before it will put on a show anyhow.
Let me know what you wish to do and I'm so sorry I forgot.
Barb

o

Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 15:22

Venessa,
Thanks! Hopefully the ones I got from you are sending down new little roots as I type! I plan to look up the names after I finish planting this evening. Thanks again!

WHY DID I TAKE SO MANY GREAT PLANTS HOME???? I am excited about filling in all my gaping holes in my beds with great plants but boy are my muscles complaining! Bet I'm not the only one reaching for the advil!

Kristi-- wishing I had take more of the ruella! It is a different leaf from mine, can't wait to see it bloom and compare!

I was taking boxes and shoving them in the SUV so fast I didn't hardly look at them. WOW have I got some nice plants!! Y'all did good!

o

"wishing I had take more of the ruella! It is a different leaf from mine, can't wait to see it bloom and compare!"

LOL, well you shoulda just grabbed up some more!! *IF* you still need more in the fall, I'm sure it can be arranged ;).

Kristi

o

Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 23:16

Barb, I can get it in the fall if you don't mind babysitting it for me! We are at W. Tawkoni so a pretty far drive. I know I will be back for the fall swap....what fun!

o

Ok, Danna I will save it for you and hopefully by then it will be big enough to plant.
I've never tried growing this from seed so I don't know how it will turn out. I had two one did great the other not so great.
The one that did great has not come up this year so I guess it's a short lived perennial or something happened to it.

o

Thanks so much to everyone who was willing to trade plants for hot dogs. This was so much fun. We wanted to go to the Southside Preservation sale, but, alas, the truck was pretty full so we had to pass. DH really had a great time even though he said we were all crazy for being out in that cold. Got home, unloaded and had to build a fire to get warm. So many great plants and such wonderful people to share the day with. Can't wait till fall. Most everything is in the ground now and I too have taken a few Advil. The rain we're getting right now is just what the doctor ordered for my new babies. Thank you all so much.

o

Sounds like everyone had a good time! We had a great time on vacation. Rather sad to come back to cold and rain. Anyway, it sounds like lots of people will be at the swap on the 28th. I have family in town that weekend, so I don't think that I'll be able to come out. Augh! Babies are waking now, so I'll have to post more later. Thanks!

o

Kristi, was the ruella the small leafed (pink)? I can take more to Carol Ann's swap if anyone is interested.

o

Carrie, I don't know. I took a few of both kinds ;). They were all well marked though so maybe Danna can tell us.

Kristi

o

What's up?

everybody in this jabbery bunch is quiet now???

Surely we can think of 24 more things, oops, 23 more things to say.

(just keep Ripley's in mind...)

I've "rescued" some more plants, don't know what they are yet, it was already dark when I got home.

After I got grounds at Starbucks, I picked up a big bag of what I thought would be leaves for the compost heap.

That bag was purty heavy, though.

got home, dumped it all out, it's a whole bag full of some sort of bulbs, complete with green foliage!

Cross fingers & stay tuned, details manana!

o

WooHoo Sylvia you're their Night-ress in Shining Armour.
I'm waving my hands saying save some for me!!
Post tomorrow with your thought of what they are.
Debbie

o

Do ya know yet, huh, huh, huh???? LOL, looking forward to hearing about your latest score :)

Kristi

o

WOW, way to go Sylvia......I'll be checking back to see what ya got.

o

Here we go.

What is it???

o
RE: Hey Sylvia .....

I'll bet my fav. shovel, those bulbs are ''naked ladies'' / spider lillies.
Good Score - tina_2

o

Could be NL's but I don't know for sure. Weldon was looking for some of those.

o

Sylvia they look pretty healthy. Would you hold onto some of those for me & if I don't see ya until the fall trade I'll collect em from you then.

hehehe I'll promise you more brownies.

I swear you must have a plant magnet in you!!

Debbie

o

Take a sniff of a cut leaf/stem. If it smells like garlic, its garlic chives.
I use them to line beds, they fill in fast and thick--and during the heat of the summer send up tall stalks with white flowers on 'em that wave in the breeze. They stay evergreen too. In the spring, clean 'em up, pull the brown leaves out of the beds and you're done. You can use them like monkey grass but they get a bit taller. If you don't like 'em you can pull 'em out, unlike monkey grass that you never can get rid of.

I like to snip some leaves and scramble them with eggs, or anything else I'm cooking.

o

Thanks all.

I sniffed, didn't detect any oniony smell, went out & broke off a piece of what I know to be garlic chive, sniffed it, there's a difference.

Plus, the garlic chives aren't nearly as tall as these, & the bulb or onion isn't nearly as big.

So I'm clearing off a spot under a tall deciduous tree!

Yay!

o

Could be pink rain lilies.
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here