Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sowthefrikan

WANTED: Wanted: Texas Flag Iris, white iris (the old hardy irise

Sowth Efrikan
15 years ago

I'm essentially looking for the old irises that were grown by early Texas homesteaders, the kind you shove in the ground and forget about - and which bloom!

I have daylilies in return, these are a peachy-pink, tall, evergreen and prolific. They've done very well with little attention in NETexas / DFW area.

I also have Nandinas and Monkey Grass if that's of interest.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Can you make it to the Ft Worth Swap on Saturday?

Phyllis & I will be there, & between the 2 of us, we can fix you up with all the white cemetary irises (iris albicans) that you want!

• Sowth Efrikan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sadly, no, FW is a little too far for me - I'm halfway to Texarkana from Dallas...

But if we could do a postal swop, that would be great!

• phyllisb2008
    15 years ago

where are you?

• Sowth Efrikan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hopkins County.

• alley
    15 years ago

I have tons of the iris that Sylvia mentioned. This house was empty for a year before we moved in and it was taking over. I don't believe that it can die. I'll be happy to trade through mail for some daylilies, but I've never mailed plants before. I'll need some guidance. Email me if you want
    Alison

• Sowth Efrikan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alison,

Thank you! I have a fence that needs softening and indestructible plants are the answer.

Since you are shipping iris, the best thing to do would be to ship them bare root and trim down the leaves. Wrap them in newspaper and use a priority express box which is free from the post office. For about a pound of plants it will cost $4.80ish, maybe a little more. They will arrive just fine in 2/3 days. I'd be happy to take as many as you can spare, and pay whatever difference there may be in postage. Do you have paypal?

Daylilies are also best shipped trimmed and bareroot dry. Once your receive them, just put them in water for a few hours with a little bit of bleach before planting.

Would you like a pound in weight, or would you like more?

I'll email you my contact details.

• phyllisb2008
    15 years ago

Hopkins county doesn't mean a thing to me I need a town. We go to east Texas a lot and if your close to where were going I could drop them off.

• Sowth Efrikan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Phyllis, I'm in northeast Texas, not east Texas. It sounds like it would be a detour and probably not worthwhile. If you travel to Texarkana or Tyler on the I30 then you'll pass through. Send me an email and I'll give you details. Thanks!

• wally_1936
    15 years ago

Where can these be obtained? I haven't seen or heard of them but sounds great as my Bearded Iris may die in a few years as they just weren't meant for our area.
    Paul

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Post a "Want" on craigslist & list your area or town.