Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

wanted: pt 2 2013 denton county spring swap

melvalena
11 years ago

Amy..

I have plenty of the Verbena bonariensis sedlings and will have some for you when we meet up next week.

Comments (34)

• ruthz
    11 years ago

remy, have you down for the 6 peppers. They are very small but should be fine once weather warms up. They haven't liked this cold.

misti, have you down for Conf. Rose cutting, single white pea vine seeds, brug cuttings and Maisugata JMG seedlings.

Debbie, what can I bring you for some of your white yarrow?

Does anyone have a few seeds of Yellow Amaranthus Aurora or White Thunbergia vine?

• remy101
    11 years ago

Thank you Ruthz , Do you want me to bring lotion ,chapsticks ,glade candle for you? Also do you have Other roses?

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Remy, any of those will be good.
    Sorry, I'm not bringing any roses and only have 1 small cutting of the Confederate Rose, Hibiscus mutabilis.

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

remy, I am bringing you that small red knock out rose.
    It is putting out new growth so I hope it lives. you'll have to baby it for a while.

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

remy - you said you were new at this. Any basic seeds your looking for? I could dig thru my seeds this morning before the swap. Check out your photos, would love ouchless hair bands, fish salt and pepper shakers, beauty trim and any candles or lotion.

ruth z...just looked at your page....do you happen to have any Mirabilis - terra cotta/lt. orange seeds left?

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I do Misti. I'll bring some.

Do you have a preference of these Brug cuttings and how many would you like?

2 - Frosty Pink
    2 - Isabella
    1 - Dr Seuss (very small, needs TLC)

This post was edited by ruthz on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 12:56

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

remy I got you confused w/ ruths post. lol, glad when this is over I am getting so confused!.

I have extra veggie seeds if your interested. just trying to find out what kind of gardening you like. I know you have peppers and mint. I have both of those.

This post was edited by mistigardens on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 12:41

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just dug out and divided a large clump of black and blue salvia.

It is not potted up, but wrapped in wet paper towels in a grocery bag, there are 6 bags of these clumps a little larger than my hand.

I love this salvia and so do the hummers! I just this morning read that some people have had success growing it in shade too. I just plopped some in my shade bed to see how it does there.

No trade expected.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Gail, I'd like some please, and tips on how to keep it alive. I've had it a couple of times and it dies in the hot summer.
    I know you said no trade expected, but look to see if I have anything you might want.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Remy, I'll bring a brug for you

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

I have black and blue salvia growing in morning sun only and it does great. Ruth try growing it behind a shorter bushier plant to shade the roots some.

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

ruth z what color is isadora? did google = nothing, found isabella. actually I think I'll go with Dr. Seuss! thanks

anyone want a thornless blackberry? I have a few extras.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Sorry, it's Isabella. It's a pink. Guess I was thinking of adora.
    I'll correct that so people know what they are getting.
    I have your box packed with 1 Isabella, 1 Frosty Pink and 1 Dr Seuss if you want all 3.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ruth,
    I have no idea what happens to your black and blue.. mine do great from early march until first hard freeze... I'm not big on watering or babying them at all. In my yards they shade their own roots and the clumps just get bigger and bigger every year. I end up yanking them out in spots when they crowd other plants... and they will! The ones that seem to do the best are part sun, but the full sun ones do fine, they don't tend to be quite as aggressive but they do still spread.

I'll put your name on 2 of the bags so you can try them in different locations.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I have the black and blue in two locations.........one by Dr. Seuss in full sun, the other in dappled sun under the hackberry tree. The one in full sun does better, but it gets more water and fertilizer as it gets the runoff form the brug. As Gail says, they spread on runners and will need to be kept under control to keep them from taking over, but both hummers and butterflies flock to them.

I am finally loaded and ready to "get ready". Hopefully, I have not forgotten anything. Will check my list one more time before I leave.

Misti, do you have any zucchini seed to bring? For some reason, cannot find mine that I order this year. BTW, you made a great choice on the brug. I have mine in full sun and he gets seven to eight feet tall each year and flushes more than once.

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

Ruthz your a doll! I am very excited about the brugs!

I hope your a *hugger* because I owe you a big one. smile

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I'm loaded except for my door prize item, snacks and drinks.

Time to get cleaned up and ready to go..

if anyone has problems finding the place.. feel free to call my cell.

469-438-7002

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

carrie, yes I should, i will look. if I can't find them quickly I will bring them when I come dig up the verbena.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

That would be great, Misti and I thought ALL gardeners were "huggers",,,,,,,LOL>
    Leaving now.................

• melvalena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW!!! What a great afternoon! I didn't want to leave, the company was so fun.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

This is for Mardi and Bob.
    This is the Blue Mystic Spires salvia just starting to bloom last year.

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

Wonderful swap, wonderful people, let's do it again!
    Thanks to everyone for such a great time. Now where the %^^& am I gonna put all these plants! Should we make the 7 dwarfs song from Snow White our theme song...
    We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in our *yard* the whole day through
    To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig is what we really like to do

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

nana, can you tell me a little about the tropical guava? I am so excited to try this.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

What a great swap, and so many new people plus the ones we have known for a long time. Made for a very pleasant afternoon. Nana, so good to see you again, and even though I cannot thank you (my mother taught me the plants would not grow if I thanked for them), but I can appreciate them and you for growing and bringing them The same for all you great gardeners who shared with me.....and I can say thanks for a great time. Til next time...........

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

oops, forgot about the thank you rule, I just told that to 150 people yesterday at our pass along plant class...duh.
    but I can thank people for having outstaning plants can't I??

ruthz, just googled the Japanese MG...they love shade, I am so excited! I can't thank you but I will owe you another hug....smile

• nana_7b
    10 years ago

Misti, actually I think guava's are sub tropical. They can handle a little cold but a freeze it will not take. I take mine in the garage when the temps hit the mid to upper 30's.

If you take care of it they should start bearing fruit next year.
    You should up-pot it to 5gal container. They love the sun and N. They need about 6 months from flower to ripe fruit.

The one you got is a 2.5 yrs old seedling. It came from a fruit about the size of a baseball with a white interior. I grew up eating this stuff, so for me it reminds me of my childhood. Growing your own makes a big difference as the ones you would buy at the store are almost always not very good as they have been picked while not perfectly ripe, shipped long distances and are not very fresh. Figs are the same with the extra problem that they do not ship will.

Carrie, it was nice to see you again. I was happy to share the plants with you! The Celeste figs make very good preserves. I'll send you a recipe sometime.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nana..................looking forward to getting the recipe.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Tried to post pictures.
    I don't use photobucket much anymore and GW only lets you post 1 picture each post.
    Every picture I've tried gets rejected with a message that it's bigger than 5000k.
    I tried cropping a few, but same message.
    I did post a few on facebook.
    Maybe someone else will have better luck posting.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Bummer, Ruth...........I'll bet Dan got some great shots. I havent' downloaded mine as yet, but can't post them anyway One of these days, I am going to make up my mind to learn to do this. Of course, maybe it's a good thing I can't as I would probably drive everyone crazy.

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

I had a great time and enjoyed meeting new people. I love all the plants and "assorted things" that ended up in my truck when I left. I can hardly wait for the fall swap. It is also nice to have an image of people's faces now when I'm reading the Gardenweb posts. Thanks everyone!

Darlene

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Carrie, I forgot to tell you that the Pink Turks Cap looked fine after I dug it, but before that last 30's night. It should bounce back and be okay, but If It doesn't, I'll see if I have another one.
    Darlene, it was fun. Your son is so cute. He told me the cookies were a $1.00 each.
    I told him since I made them I think they are free for me.

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

Thank you Ruth. He is a mess. Someone gave him $5.00 for "serving." I almost had a heart attack when he told me that. The cookies were great. I had two!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I never worry about a little transplant shock, Ruth, I am sure it will do just fine....................thanks for reminding me.

• remy101
    10 years ago

I had so much fun . Thank you so much for the plants.I hope we will meet in fall.
    Hina

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus