Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Water Hyacinth

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on
Sat, May 23, 09 at 14:28

I know you can't "release" this into ponds or waterways, but a neighbor wants some of these plants for aeration & for shelter for the fish in his container pond.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Water Hyacinth

Sylvia,
I'm in Grand Prairie.
I can give you a couple water hyacinth's

o

Yay!

sent you an email.

thanks!

o

do you have anymore water hyacinths?

o

I'm in the Waller/Magnolia area...I have a bunch...I keep a pond full in my yard...and feed excess to my chickens!LOL! Let me know who wants some :)

o

For your information, Water hyacinth is a prohibited plant in Texas. The fine for owning, growing it or distributing it is a $200- $2000 fine and up to 180 days of prison.
http://www.ntwgs.org/articles/illegalAquatics.html

o

Well said wantanamara! Please gardeners, become aware of what is legal and what is illegal.

o

http://www.ntwgs.org/articles/illegalAquatics.html In fact, I was told by one Extension Agent that it is illegal for a person that is aware of another person growing (the grower) illegal aquatic plants not to report the grower. I haven't checked this out, but it would not surprise me at all.

o

hey debbiedo7 ,I would love to have some water plants. I know it's been 3 years since you posted that blog but I would love to hear from you if you get this message

o

illegal to own, buy, sell, trade, give away, transport....and the fines have been increased, into the THOUSANDS!
That being said my chickens LOVE this stuff and eat every single bit they can get their beaks on.

It was growing in the ditch out at Pirates Beach prior to Ike, they got fined, didn't remove it, got fined again this time $10,000, which the agent threatened to make PER PLANT and they got rid of it.

It is gorgeous in bloom but such a pest and threat it doesn't seem real.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here