HAVE: San Antonio Fall Swap Oct. 8, 2011--Pix of New Location

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 1:03

FALL 2011 SAN ANTONIO PLANT SWAP -- MARK YOUR CALENDERS

DATE: Sat. Oct. 8, 2011.

TIME: 9:00 to noonish

LOCATION: Rogiers Park, 209 Pleasant Dr., Balcones Heights, Texas

(Balcones Heights is in San Antonio)

Rogiers Park has been procured for us by Barbra, whose husband worked for Balcones Heights. It is FREE! Yea!

Donations received at the Spring Swap will be used for buying door prizes and other incidentals such as dishes and cutlery for desserts. Any and all donations of garden related door prizes, new or used, are much appreciated. We want everyone to go home with a door prize as well as plants.

Rogiers Park is a very few blocks south of Crossroads Mall and is close to IH 10 and 410 so is easily accessable. Parking is on the street and wagons will be helpful in bringing in plants so let us know if you have one to bring for others to use as well as yourself.

There are three or four tables in the covered pavilion, but more tables will be needed so if you have a table you can bring please do so. A few chairs would be nice to have too. Barbra will have keys to the rest rooms.

Here are photos of Rogiers Park ...

This is what the park looks like from the street ...

Patty or Kathy will be posting the suggestions for a successful plant swap.

Start getting those plants ready, post what you have to trade, and we'll see you there!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: San Antonio Fall Swap Oct. 8, 2011--Pix of New Locati

Well, I think I'll be there, but I don't want any plants. I tell you, I really HAVE to cut down! Getting older means cutting down on stuff.

o

Im so excited!

o

I agree with you Linda. I think I will go for social part.

o

I will be there, I am not sure what I will be bringing yet- but will let you know more towards Sept. Trying some new things on the porch right now.

o

I know it's hard to think about a plant swap in the middle of an extreme drouth, but like Flowerlover says maybe by the time we're a couple of weeks into September we'll feel more like digging up a few things for the new gardeners, pass along a few seeds, and just have a fun time socializing rather than trading like crazy :-)

o

Tonya, I've been wondering how the Papaya plant that you wintered over in your green house is doing.

Also did you send me an email today with a link?

o
Link To My Trde List

I'm hoping to be there this time around. In an effort to have plants to trade I'm posting a link to my (ever expanding) trade list. Hopefully everyone will take a look (or 3) at it and let me know what ~might~ you like when the swap comes around.

I would like to start some more seeds, root some more cuttings and do some divisions, but don't want to have too much stuff left over if I can keep from it.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Growing Trade List

o

Wow Donna, I love your the way you've put your trade list in pictures. That's very helpful.

By the way, I received an email from Tonya saying her email got hacked, which is what I thought so I didn't open the link, but it would have been easy to have been fooled because of the little chatty note that came with it along with a philosophical quote.

o

Hi everyone! I plan on being there in Oct. Yes, my e-mail got hacked, hope it didn't cause issues for anyone! Hopefully it has been corrected now...

Ragna, yep, got a papaya! Sent you an e-mail (from a different account!)

Heading over to check out Donna's list now. BTW - I will for sure have some plants available. Getting so many that I need to bring some to make room for more! I will put up a list closer to swap time.

Stay cool everyone!

Tonya

o

OK I'm back, after shopping over at Donna's place!
Donna, would love for you to set aside some blue ginger and some firespike for me if you have enough to spare.

Thanks!

Tonya

o

Tonya, I'm setting aside a Blue Ginger and Firespike for you. Let me know if you want anything else.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of My Trades for Oct 2011

o

Thanks Donna!

o

Donna - I would love Vetiver and Firespike.

Anything you are looking for?

So far I have
Creeping Fig Ivy
Dichondra, Silver Ponyfoot

Mara - I have the bouteloua gracilis seeds set aside for you. Putting it here so there's a record in this thread.

o

rock_oak_deer, I have you down for some Vetiver and Firespike.

Thank you for the offer in return, but my husband doesn't tolerate many vined plants around our place. (When we moved into this house years ago it had miles of English ivy and some kind of ground cover that were so aggressive they would grow into the house. Since he eradicated them I have to be very judicious in bringing vines home and I'm a firm believer in, 'Happy [husband], happy life'... ;-> )

Here is a link that might be useful: List of My Trades for Oct 2011

o

Thanks Donna, I completely get that. Vines that grow into the house are creepy. Sounds like kudzu.

I usually offer a selection of ornamental grasses but this year most are just hanging on and some aren't even producing seeds yet so I'll have to wait until closer to Oct.

I'll have another list later.

o

working on some things- right now for the swap. It all works out perfectly, as we have no soccer this day!

I am hoping to have some starfish plants, carnation of india, maybe a fern or two. - I will update as I get closer - sometime beginning of Sept.

I would love a ginger if there is extra.
Gina

o

WANTED: A 10, or preferably a 15, gallon nursery pot to grow my Malabar spinach in next year.

HAVE: A large healthy Mon. Tillier rose in a five gal pot.

I haven't started any cuttings yet with this heat, but can dig up small plants of Coral vine, Chocolate plant, Pigeon berry, Winter honeysuckle, etc. if anybody wants them.

Will also have seeds of Scarlet pentapete (and maybe seeds from a pink pentapete that hasn't bloomed yet), Love in a puff, Velvet pod mimosa, Mock orange, Amaranth, and some others.

o

So looking forward to this exchange. I so enjoy meeting up with you all every fall and spring. Not sure what I have yet. However, I am looking for ground ferns; not the hanging basket kind.

o

Hello everybody,

I just came to know about this forum. I do not have any flowering plants except roses. I'm hope to plant some lilies this fall. If anybody has any calla lily bulbs/rhizomes or seeds to spare let me know. I have some vegetable seeds I can bring. Thank you all.

o

Hi sagardener and welcome. We look forward to meeting you at the swap. I don't have lilies, but I do know seeds are always popular at the swaps.

o

Sagandener, ditto what rock/oak/deer said! :-)

Not sure if Mrs. Brown Thumb who replied above has joined us at a swap before, but it not -- WELCOME!

WANTED: CANDLESTICK CASSIA seeds.

o

oh ! I see above that I am supposed to post some reminders. Okay, here they are ! Just a few hints that will help us all have a nicer swap experience. After nearly 15 years of hostessing and attending these swaps I've learned a lot from others. This is especially helpful to newbies who have told me often that they were confused with the way things were done at the swap. Hopefully, this will help them a little.
When you arrive, please seek out the hostess if we don't greet you first. Especially if you haven't been before. Any of us will help you with any questions you might have. Get a name tag, sign up for door prizes, and if we have one, sign the list for future notifications of swaps.

Don't forget to bring a sack lunch. We'll need sustenance for continued swapping !

We will have door prizes. If you'd like to donate to our stash, please bring a new or gently used gardening item. We usually include things like fertilizer, gloves, tools, outdoor decorations, books, etc.

Garden Junk and Garden Art is also welcome for trading. Hoses, trellises, rusty buckets, signs, you name it ! We've had people bring homemade soap, mosaic pots, and other great items.

In the past, we welcomed your donations to help pay for the rental of a park pavilion. We are happy that this swap will be held at what may be our new regular location, and at no cost (for now). If you ever attend a swap that asks for donations please drop a few dollars in the jar to help cover the cost -- which is usually covered out of the pocket of the hostess. Please consider that you're leaving the swap with plants that would have cost so much more at a nursery. A little money in the jar will go far to help these great swaps continue.

You may want to bring cardboard boxes to haul home your booty. You may end up taking home more than you bring, and it's not always easy to get it all back in your car. Packing in boxes will allow you to stack them and keep your plants safe.

Bring something to use for labeling the plants you receive. Old window blinds are excellent for this purpose ! They last forever and they're kept out of landfills.

On that note, please label your plants for others. It saves a lot of time at the swap. You don't have to tell everyone what each plant is, since they already have names on them.

Another helpful hint, which takes more time, but is great to have: consider putting a notebook together of your plants. Add pictures and descriptions of each plant you bring. Over time, you can add to it as you accumulate different types of plants. This also saves time at the swap. Others can view your notebook to see what a certain plant will look like.

While swapping, please do not take plants off another's table without asking. They may be across the room promising that same plant to someone else. Please find the owner and ask permission. Everyone's different, of course, and may bid you take whatever you like. But it's good to err on the side of caution, and ask anyway. It's a good idea for all of us to put our name on our table so that everyone knows who to find when they see a plant they'd like.

Plants under the tables are not for swapping. This is where we place the plants we're taking home.

Some plants are special or rare and the swapper may want something special in return. This is understandable. On the other hand, some of us don't always need something in return. Please consider everyone's feelings while swapping.

You may notice above and below this post that people are talking about the plants they have. If you are new to this and wonder what's going on, this is what we call pre-arranged swapping. You can list what you have and others can either post here what they would like from your list or they can contact you by email (if you make sure you add your email to your preferences). You can check their lists to see if you'd like to make a swap. Keep track of each swap and bring the plants to the event for that person, and they will bring what you liked from their list. This is not necessary, of course. You can just bring your plants to the swap and trade in person. But if you pre-arrange swaps, it's kind of like reserving a plant that you really want. If you wait until the swap, someone else may get it before you do. And that can be a bummer !

Last but not least, have a good time. Make new friends ! I've met really great folks at the swaps and we're still swapping many years later !!

If you can't make the San Antonio swap, consider the swap just up the road in Buda.

Hopefully, I'll get myself together shortly and post a list of my own. Will be good to see everyone again. Lord willing and the creek don't rise. Actually, I'm kinda hoping that the Lord DOES will the creek to rise. Just a little. Please.

patty

o

Thank you rock_oak_deer and roselee for the replies and
Thank you castro_gardener for the instructions. I have
the following vegetable seeds
Ridge gourd/chinese okra
Okra
Snake gourd seeds (very few)
Amaranth
Peas
Yellow cuke
Cluster beans
Small round egg plant
Long opal squash

I'll put the seeds in small ziplocks and name them.

I'll be there and it is very exciting to meet the other plant lovers who lives in the same city. See you all there.

o

Thanks Patty!

Another suggestion: put YOUR name on the tag with the plant name. Sometimes I get home and forget who gave me certain plants and I'd like to remember you as I enjoy the plant. Occasionally I'd like to be able to ask something about it.

For instance someone passed along a bright green thornless cactus that has VERY elongated leaves. I've never seen anything like it and was wondering if I was doing something wrong with it -- not enough sun or something.

Another person passed along a gorgeous bright green thornless cactus that looks rather like a Christmas cactus, but it's not the same. I love them both and would like to thank you again plus know more about them.

The swap is only a month away! Yea!

o

I need pieces of blinds again if anyone has some.

I have only a couple things for the swap.

1 (1gal) copper canyon daisy

about 20 tuberose bulblets.

Shirley, I will bring your seeds to the swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: double tuberose

o

plantmaven,

I would love to have your copper canyon daisy!!! I would also like some of your tuberose bulblets. Hopefully I have something that you would like so we can trade.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Trade List

o

Okay, here's a list of things that I can bring you. It would be very helpful if you would contact me via email if you're interested in something. That's just how I keep track of everything. I would very much like to have pre-arranged swaps if possible so that you get what you want, and I don't have to bring so much to the swap. After packing separate boxes for those of you who pre-arrange a trade, I won't be bringing much extra. So, if you see something you like, don't be shy...let me know. :-)

Instead of plants, I would LOVE to get some garden junk if you have anything. I'm trying to take very few plants home if I can avoid it. Unless, of course, there's just something that I gotta GOTTA have ! If you have any old rusty stuff you might want to get rid of, I'm your gal. Old pails or enamel containers, little tables or chairs, statues, any wrought iron, plant hangers, plant stands, shelves, pillars, just old stuff that most people throw out. All sizes of ceramic and terra cotta pots. If you have anything you'd like to consider, large or small, I'd love to see it if you can send photos.

Truly, I will consider anything. If you don't want it, I might. Don't think that something is too old, too rusty, or too... yucky.... for a trade. You never know what I'll take !

I'm also into beading, so would accept beads, too ! I collect small religious charms, crosses, neat old keys, all KINDS of stuff ! So, let me know what you have hidden away in the garage or shed or closet.

* sanseveria, bird nest and different types of mother-in-law tongue
* kalanchoe "Fangs"
* Jingle Bells kalanchoe
* bilbergia
* huernia and stapelia
* cissus quadrangularis
* haworthia
* ghost plant and other succulents
* donkey ears kalanchoe
* bryophyllum
* arrowhead plant
* spider plant, green/variegated/reverse variegated/maybe some curly
* mums
* banana canna and other cannas
* unknown lily from seed, I think iris family
* crag lily, echeandia texensis
* crinums
* zexmenia
* coreopsis
* firecracker / russelia
* crape myrtle from seed
* pavonia, pink or brazilian
* society garlic
* white rain lily seedlings
* large pink rain lily bulbs
* old man's pipe / callisia fragrans
* Vick's plant plectranthus
* variegated plentranthus
* aloe vera
* unknown daylily
* Henry (or Augusta) Duelberg salvia
* artillery fern
* iris
* air potato vine / dioscorea bulbifera
* night blooming cereus
* fruit cocktail shrimp
* tallow tree
* native gloxinia
* elephant ears
* chocolate chip ajuga
* Kaitlin's Giant ajuga
* Hawaiian ti plant
* angelwing begonia
* salvia coccinea
* The Fairy climber rose
* American Pillar rose
* Roses/rooted cuttings (Rosa Verde/green rose, Little Buckaroo, Lafter, LeMarne)
* purple or white hyacinth bean vine
* maybe clitoria vine
* pregnant onion
* maybe : salvia microphylla
salvia greggii
amaryllis seedlings
dwarf Barbados cherry
esperanza
wisteria
brugmansia

Some of these have only one plant available, so if there's even a tiny chance you might be interested, let me know as soon as possible.

thank you !

patty

o

Donna, Your name is on the copper canyon and some of the tuberose.

Kathy

o

Plantmaven,

I would love to have some of your tuberose bulbs. I do not have a wide selection to offer you. I have lot of veggie seeds and I have some fire cracker plants, 4'o clock seeds I'm bringing to the swap.

Thanks
Yamini

o
Oh, Patty! What Have You Done?!

I don't know that I have anything you want, plant or otherwise, but I would love a bunch of things from your list:

* A little of any and all succulents you are willing to share with me.
* mums
* zexmenia
* Henry (or Augusta) Duelberg salvia
* chocolate chip ajuga
* Kaitlin's Giant ajuga
* angelwing begonia
* American Pillar rose
* Roses/rooted cuttings: Little Buckaroo; Lafter

o

More Haves for my list:

Santolina, Gray
Brugmansia, Candida Double White

o

Yamini, I have you down for some tuberose bulbs. I don't want anything in return.

o

Hello All !

Just wanted to say that you don't HAVE to offer me garden junk to ask for something from my list. If you see something on the list you're interested in, please contact me.

patty

o

Thank you Kathy

o

Donna, I'd love to have some starts of Syngonium 'French Marble'. Let me know if I have anything you want.

o

Does anyone have seeds for the WHITE TEXAS STAR HIBISCUS? I've been wanting to try it.

o

Some starts of Syngonium 'French Marble' are yours, roselee. And I have a white Texas Star Hibiscus. I will try rooting a cutting from it tomorrow.

o

Hi folks!

Plants I have:

hibiscus acetosella - red shield hibiscus (3)
variegated phillipine violet (2)
lavender/pink mum (1)
jatropha (1)
salvia coccinea - red (several)
salvia coccinea - pink and white (several)
rootbeer plant (2 or 3)
peace lily (2)
white bird of paradise (not pride of barbados)
veronica
wooly passion vine (2 or 3)
salvia 'blue chiquita' (2)
papaya tree

Let me know what I can set a side for you!

Tonya

o
nbtonya

nbtonya,

What variety is your jatropha?

May I have 1 of your variegated phillipine violets, please?

o

Hi Donna,

Gotcha down for a var. phil. Sorry, I don't know what variety the jatropha is.

Tonya

o

I have a few small bags of seed for the rocket larkspur. It got about 3 ft. tall

Photobucket

o
Where's Joey ? Barbra ? Meredith ?

Haven't heard from some of our regulars, so just wondering if they are coming. Anyone else heard from them ? Who else is missing ?

There probably will not be a swap in Buda this fall. Charlotte (the organizer) says that personally she has no plants to take with the weather being so bad, and she feels that the others might be in the same predicament. I hope that they will consider coming to join us if they do want to swap what they have.

patty

o

Hi there - I will go outside and get a list of what I have in just a few mins.

If still avail:

Patty I would like the rosa verde, hawaiian ti plant and wisteria

dstartz- a blue ginger

roselee- mimosa seed, and I do have a candlestick plant for you, I grew from seeds, I have several of them. The seeds came from Carrie in Arlington who is on here a lot.

tonya- white bird of paradise, rootbeer plant

Let me go out and make a list of what I have to bring

Gina

o
my list so far

I have
freesia- 3 assot colors
kalanchoe- not sure what type red or yellow 2
carnation of india 1 maybe 2
starfish plant- mine is about to bloom now 2 of them
pride of barbados from seed- orange - 1
parade rose - sunburst orange 1
4 oclock - purple fushia colored - 1
candlestick - 1
purple bell pepper-1

I may have a few others come up before then. I am trying to get passion flower vine started. I have 3 that I believe took, but I don't want to speak too soon.

o

Hi Gina,

Gotcha down for the bird of paradise and a rootbeer plant. May I have a purple bell pepper and a freesia?

Tonya

o

not a problem- got you down for them. See you soon!

o

Thanks!

o

Thanks Donna for putting me down for the marble 'arrow plant' and white Texas Star hibiscus. Seeds for the hibiscus would be fine if they come true from seeds. Is there anything special I can save for you?

Flowerpower, (Gina?) I'll set aside the Velvet pod mimosa seed for you and thanks for the Candle stick plant.

I'm with Patty on hoping a bunch of the Buda swap folks come on down to San Antonio. We'd love to meet you. Please come for the social aspect if not for plants. That's always what's the most fun anyway.

And yes -- some regulars need to tune in, Barbra? (who I know is going to be there bright and early to hold the spot) Joey? Some others whose faces I see if not your names?

I'll be bringing a few other seeds and a few plants not mentioned. It'll be a surprise :-) Also got some cute door prizes.

o

I am going to try something a little different. I have a blank slate on my property in Blanco and am trying to plan a lot of drought tolerant and Texas natives for out there, so have been doing a lot of research and have created a wish list. It is pretty lengthy, but, as my husband says, you never know until you ask. Sooooo, I am asking y'all to take a gander at this list and if you see anything on it that you could bring a plant, cutting or seeds for, please let me know. :) Thanks for looking!

Remember this is my wish list, not what I have to offer!

American beautyberry, callicarpa americana
Arizona Cypress
blackfoot daisy
blue curls, phacelia congesta
Blue eyed grass
blue texas star, amsonia ciliata
butterfly weed' asclepias tuberosa
cardinal flower, lobelia cardinalis
Coralbean, erythrina herbacea
crossvine, begnonia capreolata
engelman sage, salvia engelmannii
eve's necklace, sophora affinis
flame acanthus, anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii
flame leaf sumac, rhus lanceolata
gayfeather, liatris muconata preferred, but would like any
heartleaf hibiscus, hibiscus cardisphyllus
hill country penstemon, penstemon triflorus
mexican buckeye, ungnadia speciosa
Mexican Plum, prunus mexicana
Mexican Sycamore
mistflower, white or blue
Montezuma Cypress
Paco's Possumhaw
purple paint brush, castilleja purpurea
rock penstemon, penstemon baccarifolius
rock trumpet/flor de san juan, macrosiphonia macrosyphon
scarlett buckeye, aesculus pavia
smoke tree
standing cypress
Tephrosia, tephrosia lindheimeri
Texas mountain laurel
Texas persimmon
Wooly thyme
yaupon holly
ruellia nudiflora

Thanks again!

Tonya

o
roselee & flowerlover

roselee, may I have your Mon. Tillier rose?

flowerlover78, I have you down for a blue ginger. May I have a starfish plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Trades

o

Tonya, beautyberry start very easily from seed, or at least the bird planted ones. The one at the curb has tons of berries. Do you want me to bring you some berries, cuttings in water, or both?
The next time I find Mt. Laurel seedlings, I will plant them for you.
Once in awhile I have red bud seedlings.

o
Tonya

Tonya,

I can help you out with Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa) seeds and gallon containers of Mexican Buckeye (Ungnadia speciosa) and Texas Mountain Laurel.

o

Awesome!

Kathy, I think I would like to try the seeds and the cuttings of the beautyberry. I would love any Mt. Laurel and red bud seedlings you find.

Donna, wonderful about the Butterfly Weed seeds, Mexican Buckeye and Mountain Laurel plants!

Thanks so much you guys!

Tonya

o
tonya

I have flame acanthus for Tonya

Donna I will set aside starfish plant

o

Donna, if no one comes up with a 20 gal nursery pot to trade for the large Mon. Tillier I'd love for you to have it. If some one does, and I really want a large pot to grow Malabar spinach in next year, I'll root one for you or find another good rose bush for you :-)

o

Thank you, roselee. =)

o

Thanks Gina!

Tonya

o

Yo' Donna ! Sent you an email a few days ago. Check it out for me, would ya ? thank you EV-AH so much !!

patty

o

bump

o

Thanks for the email, Patty - I had the swap on my calendar, but it had slipped my mind since I always forget about the "exchanges" page on gardenweb!

I'm sorry to say I'm pretty bummed about gardening right now, since I've lost 20 shrubs over this godforsaken summer, the seeds I started a few weeks ago failed, and I've killed most of the things y'all have so generously given me over the last few swaps - all while using MORE water than my neighbors' water-sucking lawns, according to SAWS. So I can't in good conscience take any more of y'all's free plants. I will just have to sit this one out and concentrate on getting my few surviving plants through the fall and winter, which are also predicted to be dry. UGH!!

o

Sorry for you. I had a few that I nursed back to health after I went on vacation. I learned from it though.

o

Oh Merideth! Sounds like you are assuming some kind of guilt for this lousy drought! I for one, and I am sure others would love to try to help replace some of your losses. I always bring more than I intend to come home with (although I'm not always as disciplined as I would like to be!) It will be easier to keep plants alive when we are not in triple digits for days on end. I hope you will reconsider. You have always been so generous. I would like to give with no need for a trade. Besides, we enjoy your company!

Tonya

o

Meredith, I wish you'd just come hang out with us. It won't seem right if you're not there. None of us are going to have an abundance of plants this go round and that's okay.

When it's all said and done
It's the meet up that makes it fun.

There -- poetry no less ... LOL!

o

Aww, you guys are too generous! I would really like to see all of you, so I'll come just to hang out. I'll try to get there as early as possible so I can at least help you unload. And I'll bring some kind of yummy dessert (but don't expect anything as fancy as those cupcakes we had last time!)

I'm most upset about all the labor lost from digging all those holes that turned out to be graves ;) With more drought ahead of us, I don't think I'll try to replace the shrubs and more expensive items this year. If I add anything new at all it'll be the things that did manage to survive this year - salvia, skullcap, and blackfoot daisies. If your cast iron managed to grow and you want to thin it, I'll be happy to take some, but I know things went into survival mode - I can't even offer rose cuttings because my bushes hardly put out any new growth. I do still have tons of plastic nursery pots, so I'll bring a selection of those in case anyone needs some. I seem to have decent luck rooting cactus pads and succulent stems, so if you have any that break off in the next few weeks, feel free to save 'em for me :)

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all! I'll see y'all on the 8th :)

o

I have a few succulants- nothing fancy- And a couple of agave babies and a yucca I will bring for you.

o

Meredith, I look forward to seeing you and everyone else too. My yard is pretty much the same, what didn't die isn't ready for dividing or cutting this time either. I even lost a skullcap and a couple blackfoot daisies so you're doing okay there.

Those holes you dug are ready for new plants just less work planting new ones this time!

o

Yay! Glad you're coming Meredith! I have some salvia coccineas (red, and pink/white) if you would like me to set some aside for you.

Tonya

o

I am one of the Buda swap people but right now all I have are seeds.A whole bunch of Native seed. That's it. No water in the tanks and I have sworn that nothing gets planted till the tanks are three quarters full with water. I am reading all this and I want to come and meet y'aal but some how I think it would be a bit of a bitter sweet experience with death and destruction at the home front..I am SO overly dramatic.

Patty , I will miss seeing you AGAIN

o

I have a few things that I can take cuttings if anyone wants some.

Thryallis...this has bloomed all summer and seldom wilted

Beauty berry cuttings or berries

Almond verbena aka Sweet Almond bush

Mexican limelight salvia

Dr. suess yellow brugmansia

Mexican oregano

o

I would like a small cutting of the dr suess yellow brug. I have one here, it was a cutting from a swap, but it is still small and I am unsure of its color.

o

also, cuttings of:

canyon creek abelia

copper canyon daisy

lavender double rose of sharon

o
RE:: HAVE: San Antonio Fall Swap Oct. 8, 2011--Pix of New Locat

Gina, I have you down for a couple dr.suess brug cuttings.

o

Kathy - I'd love some Mexican Limelight and Canyon Creek Abelia cuttings.

Mara - I was looking forward to meeting you, hope you can make another swap or I'll try to get to Buda in the spring. I did find out that the 'Blonde Ambition' ornamental grass doesn't reliably grow from seed.

Shirley

o

gottcha, Shirely.

o
RE: HAVE:: San Antonio Fall Swap Oct. 8, 2011--Pix of New Locat

Something else I thought of is vitex. Let me know if you want cuttings.
It has bloomed all summer.

o

flowerlover,
I would be happy to try some of your agave and yucca if you have extra, thanks!

Tonya,
salvia coccinea has done very well for me throughout the drought, so if you have extras I'd be happy to give them a home!

Thanks again for y'all's generosity! See you in a few weeks -
M

o

no problem- got them in a pile to bring

o

Tonya, don't believe I have an email for you. Please email me at flameflowerx@yahoo.com. May have some things you want.
Linda

o

Meredith, gotcha down for the coccineas.

Linda, will do!

Tonya

o

WANTED: I'd like to have about a five or six foot length of hog wire (I think it's called hog wire or maybe it's hog fence -- it has the big holes) to use as a cage around the 15/20 gal. nursery pot for growing Malibar spinach and which I'm still hopeful to get in a trade.

HAVE: I've decided to trade a couple of blooming size yellow brugs. I think they are Dr. Seuss variety. So I'll have one of those to trade for it or perhaps a blooming size Georgetown tea rose.

o

Roselee, I want one of the yellow brugmansia, I lost mine last February, I will bring you a white coneflower, I know you love those. I will be bringing plants to the swap, just don't know what yet. I have not been at the coast for over 2 weeks, so I cannot post what I have. I know for sure, I have a few of the giant red crinum plants. Barbra

o

Okay Barbra! You got it :-)

Will somebody help me get stuff out of the car? Sorry to say my back just won't let me lift heavy stuff anymore or it tells me about it the next day, and the sciatic nerve keeps on 'talking' for a week! :-(

Anybody bringing a wagon? I can bring one if not.

o

Roselee they will not open the park and bathroom for me until 8am, so I will be there to help you unload. Barbra

o

Does anyone have any rooted bottle brush, passionvine( not the invasive one),dutchmans pipe vine, or plumeria cutting? I have a rooted variageted snow queen hibiscus that I would love to trade for any of these. Barbra

o

I won't commit just yet (heading to Port Mansfield in the morning for 5 days of fishing), but thought I should warn you that I am seriously considering coming to your swap again. I had such a good time when I came in '09, but missed some of you that I had hoped to meet. I have lots of plants that I've been growing all summer. I could take some to Mercer swap on the first, then bring the rest to S.A. When I'm sure I can come, I'll post a list of what I can bring.
Jim

o

Jim, that would be great. Hope to see y'all here.

k

o

Well, I'll show up, God willin' and I don't fall into a huge crack in the ground (given up on the creek rising) on the way there. And Sheila will show up...guess you know that, right. I have one of each of these, if anyone wants one (no trade necessary).
Hoja Santa/Root Beer Plant
Flame Acanthus
Aromatic Aster
Cedar Sage
Will look around, to see what else...I know I have seeds for some plants, for one thing.

o
barbara

I have a passion flower cutting that rooted, I am not sure if it is invasive or not, It has red and purples to the flower. My did great this year, I got it at a flea market. It is still small because it was a cutting, but it did take and has roots, and new leaves growing.

o

Flowerlover, I would love to have the rooted cutting, will bring the snow queen hibiscus for you, you will love it. Roselee fell in love with it when she was at my house at the coast. Don't worry Roselee, I have another one for you. I lost all my passion vines, when I brought them home to take care of, and my son threw them in the trash, when he cleaned off the patio. Barbra

o

not a problem- I will bring you one! and I know I do not have a snow queen hibiscus, just a varigated red one and a fringe one- thankss!

o

Roselee,
I would be delighted to help you unload - let me know what time you think you'll get there so I can be ready! Yay, something I can contribute! ;)

o

Linda, I would love a flame acanthus. Looking forward to seeing you and Sheila!

o

I have about 5 baby basket plants (callisia fragans)

Here is a pic of the bloom. I grow it in a pot.

Photobucket

o

Does anyone want seeds for lavender monarda, chocolate flower, regular red w/ black poppy, and peony poppies ?

May also have seeds for pentapete by then, too.

If anyone has some, I'm looking for red oak seedlings.

patty

o

lavender monarda- is that the bergamot also? which they make tea from ? if so I would like 4 or 5 seeds, not too many, and I got a tiny oak- however think it may be a live oak- not real sure. I will bring it and see if you want it.

o

We've been extra busy with relatives visiting from Vermont so haven't kept up on answering the posts above. I'll be posting pictures of a great free public garden we visited as well as some plants I saw and would like to have ID'd.

Barbra, I have some seeds for the fimbriata pipevine I'll bring. Will also try to dig a couple of little plants. It's the variety I grow for Pipevine swallowtails.

Meridith and Barbra, thanks so much for the offer to help me unload. I'll try be there shortly after eight, but no rush Meridith. There will only be a couple of heavy plants and the tables to carry.

Is anyone bringing a wagon? The one I have is large and I'm thinking I won't have room for it and the tables and chairs I'll have in the car.

I'm glad to hear Sheila is coming. Some of the other regulars haven't checked in yet. Y'all come now, ya' he-ah? I think we'll have some new folks attending also, such as Paulette who has emailed me.

Jim, I'm certainly looking forward to meeting you. Please come! I was so sorry I missed the swap where you came in '09.

o

[hijack]
Kathy, thanks for posting the photo of the callisia fragrans - I have some that I got on my honeymoon in the Florida keys, but I forgot the name. Do you grow it outside?

If you get a chance, can you send me an email at barkingdogwoods (at) gmail (dot) com? I'd like to chat about that!

Lin (who lives too darn far from SA!!!)
[/hijack]

o

I went to Lowes yesterday and got a few Serena Purple Angelonia for the swap. I have lost almost everything here, and will need to check at the coast. I am going this week to see what I have at the coast. I do not have a computer there, so I will not be able to post what I have. I will just bring back what I have Friday and take to the swap on Saturday. I do know I will bring some giant red leaf crinum. I planted those already and planted some pups from the siam red leaf banana, but the banana did not survive. The crinum did. I have not been there in 3 weeks. Barbra.

o

Hi Barbra!

I would love one of the Serena Purple Angelonias. Do you see anything on my list I can set aside for you?

Tonya

o

I have several well rooted (roots coming out the bottom) Agave striata in gal. pots. From the internet:

"The plants grow in a circular shape and all of the long, pencil shaped, spiky-tipped leaves are roughly the same length. The agave striata has leaves that seem to branch out from the very roots into a spiky ball of greenery. Grows to a height of anywhere from a foot and a half to two feet."

Also just separated quite a few Agave bracteosa 'Calamar' (squid agave)from the mother plant. These, of course, are not well rooted. In my experience about 3/4 of them root. You might want to wait until the spring swap for those. It's my favorite agave! No spines, perfectly hardy, graceful, and great in a pot or in the ground.

Let me know if you want either of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: See it on the Digging Austin blog ...

o
RE: HAVE: Different kind of shrimp plant

It's nice to have something different to bring so looking around my different kind of shrimp plant was noticed. It was purchased at a S. A. Botanical Garden sale way back when.

Four one gallon pots of roots are offered ....

It was named, but the tag was lost years ago. Any takers?

(In case anybody hasn't noticed the humidity must be 99% out there! The sweat glands are getting a workout today ... LOL)

o

I just found a luffa in the shed. Anyone want seeds?

o

roselee, may I have 1 each of your agaves, please?

o

Okay Donna, gottcha' written down for them :-)

o

My granddaughter and her DH are trying to start a garden in this area.
I would like some apradista if anyone has some.
As you can see they don't have much sun at this 2 story townhouse.

Photobucket

o

Just wanted to say...I'll have some butterfly caterpillars hatching in the next week. But I am a little short on milkweed. If I end up with too many caterpillars (which is very probable), won't be able to keep them fed. If anyone has an extra milkweed to trade which is big enough to have a good amount of foliage, I'd appreciate it. Or if anyone would like to have some little bitty caterpillars to raise on their milkweed, might have enough to spare. They're either Queen or Monarch...didn't see the mother who dropped these eggs off.

o

roselee, is that shrimp plant a cigar plant maybe? or maybe mine is wrong- I have one from a swap that looks just like that in orangeish yellow, but when it flowers out it looks to be the cigar plant. I thought it was a shrimp when I got it. Very pretty!

o
rain chances this coming weekend?

I am so looking forward to the swap- I pray for rain all the time- just hope that it is not during the swap- what could the odds be right?

I have a few other plants that I will be bringing along too- a firespike and some others

o

Hey y'all -

I noticed this weekend that I have 3 well-rooted crepe myrtle babies: one light pink and 2 lavender. They're not the lil seedlings that you can easily pull up; they're actually bits of strong root that were at some point severed from the mother plant. If you want one of these, let me know and I'll dig it and bring it on Saturday.

Also, there are 3 mountain laurels planted in an inappropriate place that I could attempt to dig. I'm told they have a very deep tap root, so I don't know how well they'd survive a transplant, but if you'd like to attempt it, let me know so I can dig it for you!

See you Saturday :)
- Meredith

o

meredith- I have a fushia colored crepe myrtle, can I trade you for a lavender?
I thought I was getting some purple ones, and got 4 total of the same color- I was so dissappointed, I planted two and have two on the porch in pots still. Mine are still babies- maybe 12 inches tall or so

o

Gina, the plant pictured is a shrimp plant. It was labeled as one when I got it and the leaves are the same as on the shrimps. I hope there are some takers.

Haven't anything from Joey ...

See y'all soon :-)

o

flowerlover,
I'll dig the lavender ones for you. I don't need any more crepe myrtles, so maybe you can swap your fuchsia ones with someone else! You've already got me down for agave/yucca anyway!

o

sounds good - maybe someone else will want one

o

Is anyone able to bring a wagon????

o

mine is in need of repair so I can not do so

o

Roselee, I will have a wagon. It has finally worked out so that I can come, and I'll post my HAVES list shortly.
Jim

o

Oh Jim, that's wonderful. I'm so glad to hear you're coming. However I'm sorry to say that most of us don't have much stuff to swap this time. I just hope you can go home with something! Is there anything in my yard that you've seen in pictures of which I can bring starts or cuttings? And that goes for everybody else also.

o

Thanks Roselee, I'm sure there will be plenty of plants to trade for. In fact, I've found several on the lists in this thread, including you 'Special' shrimp. I'll ask for them as soon as I post my list. Besides, I like being Santa Claus.
Jim

o
Rain or Shine

Hello All !

I see that there is a small chance of rain on Saturday. Hallelujah !

We have always had our swaps rain or shine, so I hope you will still be there. We do have a covered pavilion, so don't let the chance of some wonderful rain keep you from coming. Hopefully, it will rain on our gardens while we are away, but not on us while we're swapping !

Jim, please take a look at my list above, and let me know if there's anything that interests you. And please let us know if you are looking for anything that is NOT on any list ! As Tonya can attest, we almost filled her WANT list !

patty

o

Jim, so glad y'all can make it.

I will bring my Lawn Buddy pull cart.

Photobucket

It is larger than this pic. LOL

o

OK, here's the list of plants I intend to bring to the swap. Confirming pre-trades may be a little difficult because I'm leaving Alvin Thursday morning headed to Graham, south of Wichita Falls, to attend a funeral. I'll leave Graham Friday afternoon, headed to San Antonio, and don't know that I'll have computer access during that time.

Yellow Buttercups (Tunera ulmifolia)2
Chocolate plant
White rain lilies 2
x Ruttyruspolia
Mexican Flame vine, the red one (Sao Paulo) 1
Rangoon creeper 1
Flame Acanthus 2
Pride of Barbados
Bush morning Glory (white)
Bush Morning Glory (pink)
Cat Whiskers
Philippine Violets (purple)
Philippine Violets (white)
Yellow cestrum
King's Mantle 2
Bleeding Heart vine (white)
Persian Palm (Alocasia 'Calodora')
Stingray (Alocasia 'Stingray')2
Violet Trumpet vine 1
Yellow Butterfly vine 1
Sweet Almond verbena 2
Heliotrope
Crocosmia 'Lucifer' bulbs
Mojito (Colocasia esculenta 'Mojito')
Red Shrimp Plant
Yellow Shrimp Plant
Fruit cocktail Shrimp Plant
Mexican Honeysuckle

Also, Saturday, at Mercer Swap, I traded for 1 candlestick cassia, Roselee? and 1 Popcorn cassia that I'll bring. Anything on the list without a number, I have at least 3.

Now, if these are still available, and you can find something on my list you would like, I would like to trade for :

Donna;
Syngonium 'French Marble'
ZigZag cactus
Sophora tomentosa
Agloamema modestum variegata

Patty;
Zexmenia
Dwarf barbados cherry
Henry Duelburg salvia

Tonya;
Philippine violet variegated
White bird of Paradise
Hibiscus acetosella

Kathy;
Larkspur seeds

Roselee;
Your unnamed red shrimp

Jim

o
RE: San Antonio Fall Swap Oct. 8, 2011--Pix of New Locati

I knew that I would forget something.I'm also bringing pink Poppy seeds, LOTS of pink Poppy seeds, and seeds of tripple yellow Datura,& tipple purple and lavender Datura.

Barbra, if it's not too late to ask, I would really like a start of your red crinum.
Jim

o

Jim, I've always wanted to try a Mexican Flame vine and to get a San Paulo would really be a plus. So I'd be happy to trade a couple or all of the unnamed shrimp plant for it since no once else has spoken for them.

o

Jim,I have you down for larkspur seed. Would you like some blue and white nigella, also?

Photobucket

pink poppy seed, yes!

triple purple datura seeds, yes

o

Now that I have a pond, I would like a Persian Palm (Alocasia 'Calodora', if still available.

I also have red peony poppy seeds.

Photobucket

o

Roselee, I put your name on the Sao Paulo. Do you want the candlestick cassia?

Kathy, I've got you down for a Persian Palm, pink Poppy seeds,& triple purple datura. Yes, I would like some nigella seeds, and that lovely peony poppy, and a few Corn poppy seeds, if you still have any.
Jim

o

Great! if I still have the corn poppy seeds I will add them to your stash.

Wish I had more to offer ;^(

o

Tonya, if you don't already have some coming from someone else, I can dig you some Blue eyed grass 'Suwannee River'.
Let me know.
Jim

o

Labeled things this morning and got things all separated by person etc- I have about a dzn or so plants left that I will swap when I get there- I do have an american beauty berry too, that I found. I am looking forward to seeing everyone.

Jim I have a candlestick for roselee, however I am not too good on the whole name so I am not sure if it is candlestick cassia or not? I got seeds from someone in austin- as a candlestick bush/ tree- And planted them last spring- so that is what I had for her- if it is the wrong one maybe someone else will want it.

o

flowerlover, I'm sure what we have are the same. I just missed where you said you would bring her one. I'll have mine there if someone else wants one.
Jim

o

no prob- yours might wind up being better looking- haha- I have another one to swap as well

Not sure if you are still online Jim- but I would love a triple datura seed

o

Jim, I have been wanting some blue-eyed grass, if you are still willing to dig some up. I know it was an offer to Tonya, though, so if there is not enough for two, please let it go to her first.

I will bring the three that you requested from me, and will dig up a larger Duelberg, as well, since the ones I have are smaller seedlings in pots.

If you don't hear back from Barbra about the red crinum, let me know and I'll bring you one of mine.

would like from your list:

rangoon creeper (since Ragna/Roselee and I were just talking about hers a few hours ago !)

crocosmia Lucifer bulbs

cat whiskers

Thanks Jim ! Hope the rain doesn't keep you away. Stay safe !

patty

o

OK flowerlover, I have you down for some Datura seeds.

Patty,thank you. Have you down for your requests. I haven't heard from Tonya or Barbara, but Barbra is probably down at the coast. She said earlier that she was bringing several, so I bet she will have enough for me to get one. I was wondering who would want the Rangoon creeper. Mine covers the whole front of the shop, and is absolutely covered with blooms right now.
Jim

o

I have Mystic Spires Salvia that I can bring cuttings from and a couple Kentucky Colonel Mint plants I dug today to add to my list.

o

Shirley -- was going to email but thought you might be monitoring this a little more. Could I try your mint ? I realized earlier that you and I had not talked about a swap. I guess we have everything the other has by now, right ? Let me know if there's something I can bring you. Are you looking for something that's not on any lists ? I might have something, just ask me.

Jim -- thanks bunches.

patty

o

One of these years I am going to make it one of these swaps...........you guys have so much to offer, and sounds like so much fun. Take lots of pix.

o

Patty, Hi I've been reading my email more often lately. The mint is really good, the perfect mint flavor. I'll dig more in case others want some.

I'd love some zexmenia. Look forward to seeing you at the swap.

carrie - We swap again in March and we'd love to see you. If you happen to be in SA at another time let us know, we get together outside the swaps sometimes too.

o

Carrie -- come on down! Anytime ... but this Saturday would be nice :-)

o

I'm bringing these seeds. All grow from seed very easily. The only thing I haven't grown from seeds is Velvet pod mimosa.

Scarlet pentapete ...

Green malabar spinach ... a very good eating vine!

Amaranth hopi red that Jolana gave me ...

Love in a puff ...

Velvet pot mimosa ...

Celosia flamingo feather ...

Pride of Barbados ... I guess everybody knows what that looks like :-)

Also a few pipevine seeds.

See you soon!

o

Just got back from the coast:
Tonya, I have the angelinia for you

Roselee I would love one of your beautiful shrimp plants.

Jim, I would love the kings mantel, violet trumphet vine and the yellow shrimp plant, if still availalbe. I will bring you a giant red leaf crinum, and one one of the snow queen hibiscus, it has a coral blooms, its beautiful. I will also give you a red and pink bleeding heart if you want one. Mine loves full sun. Something else that loves full sun is the purple butterfly bush, if you would like one, just let me know.

This is what I have brought back with me. I have seeds from the double white datura( I only get one seed pod a year, and I brought it back.

I have purple butterfly bush (1) if Jim doesn't want then 2
Candelstick plants(2) nice size
red and pink bleeding heart (1) just potted, if Jim doesn't want then 2
giant red leaf crinum (3) promised one to Jim. 2 left
Candelstick plants (2)
Tropicanna canna (2)
Angelonia purple (3) one promised to Tonya
orange cone ginger (1) shade plant
African hosta(1) shade plant
Coneflower white(2) one promised to Roselee
I have some plants I like they look like mums, but they are variegated and grow like weeds, low growing ground cover, I
like them, but do not know what they are called have( 30
BRINGING A DAYLILY FOR Patty, of course I do not know the color, but it will either be pink or purple.

Barbra

o

Barbra -- I sent you an email.

patty

o

barbara I would love a crinum
Gina

o

crazy questin here and very last minute- does anyone need any baby tilapia for aquaponics? Their min temp of water is 55 so keep that in mind. I have extra right now and just had more babies yesterday. If you want some I can bring a couple in a bucket for you.

o

Barbra - I'd like some of that ground cover. Sounds interesting, we'll try to get "someone" (Jim?) to ID it for us. The African Hosta also.

o

Does any one have the rose "MAGGIE" from which they could bring some cuttings???

o

Roselee I went to Lowes today at Callaghan and they had their $19.99 roses for $5. I was just there at 1pm, they had alot right in front of the nursery. Mostly red, and purple, and a few pink ones with the flat blooms. I did not recogonize any of the names, I think they are the newer florabunda roses. Barbra

o

Ready set go!!!! I am going to start loading my car right now. I plan on being there early. Barbra

P.S Albert will not be there and asked if anyone had an extra rootbeer plant, he would love it. I promised him one, but lost all mine in the freeze, I would love to trade for one for him. Barbra

o

going to be loading my car as well soon, just in case we get some rain - I would like everything to be in there, I have other things I did not mention before - plants that is, that I am bringing too- sure there will be people there who are just starting- and I started doing clippings and now have way too many of some things out here.

o

Roselee,
I have Maggie - mine's a baby, bit i'll bring u a few cuttings. See u around 8 to unload!

o

Looking forward to seeing everyone today. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here