Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

HAVE: San Antonio Fall Swap Oct. 8, 2011--Pix of New Location

FALL 2011 SAN ANTONIO PLANT SWAP -- MARK YOUR CALENDERS

DATE: Sat. Oct. 8, 2011.

TIME: 9:00 to noonish

LOCATION: Rogiers Park, 209 Pleasant Dr., Balcones Heights, Texas

(Balcones Heights is in San Antonio)

Rogiers Park has been procured for us by Barbra, whose husband worked for Balcones Heights. It is FREE! Yea!

Donations received at the Spring Swap will be used for buying door prizes and other incidentals such as dishes and cutlery for desserts. Any and all donations of garden related door prizes, new or used, are much appreciated. We want everyone to go home with a door prize as well as plants.

Rogiers Park is a very few blocks south of Crossroads Mall and is close to IH 10 and 410 so is easily accessable. Parking is on the street and wagons will be helpful in bringing in plants so let us know if you have one to bring for others to use as well as yourself.

There are three or four tables in the covered pavilion, but more tables will be needed so if you have a table you can bring please do so. A few chairs would be nice to have too. Barbra will have keys to the rest rooms.

Here are photos of Rogiers Park ...

This is what the park looks like from the street ...

Patty or Kathy will be posting the suggestions for a successful plant swap.

Start getting those plants ready, post what you have to trade, and we'll see you there!

Comments (150)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's nice to have something different to bring so looking around my different kind of shrimp plant was noticed. It was purchased at a S. A. Botanical Garden sale way back when.

Four one gallon pots of roots are offered ....

It was named, but the tag was lost years ago. Any takers?

(In case anybody hasn't noticed the humidity must be 99% out there! The sweat glands are getting a workout today ... LOL)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I just found a luffa in the shed. Anyone want seeds?

• dstartz
    12 years ago

roselee, may I have 1 each of your agaves, please?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay Donna, gottcha' written down for them :-)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

My granddaughter and her DH are trying to start a garden in this area.
    I would like some apradista if anyone has some.
    As you can see they don't have much sun at this 2 story townhouse.

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

Just wanted to say...I'll have some butterfly caterpillars hatching in the next week. But I am a little short on milkweed. If I end up with too many caterpillars (which is very probable), won't be able to keep them fed. If anyone has an extra milkweed to trade which is big enough to have a good amount of foliage, I'd appreciate it. Or if anyone would like to have some little bitty caterpillars to raise on their milkweed, might have enough to spare. They're either Queen or Monarch...didn't see the mother who dropped these eggs off.

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

roselee, is that shrimp plant a cigar plant maybe? or maybe mine is wrong- I have one from a swap that looks just like that in orangeish yellow, but when it flowers out it looks to be the cigar plant. I thought it was a shrimp when I got it. Very pretty!

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

I am so looking forward to the swap- I pray for rain all the time- just hope that it is not during the swap- what could the odds be right?

I have a few other plants that I will be bringing along too- a firespike and some others

• meriberi
    12 years ago

Hey y'all -

I noticed this weekend that I have 3 well-rooted crepe myrtle babies: one light pink and 2 lavender. They're not the lil seedlings that you can easily pull up; they're actually bits of strong root that were at some point severed from the mother plant. If you want one of these, let me know and I'll dig it and bring it on Saturday.

Also, there are 3 mountain laurels planted in an inappropriate place that I could attempt to dig. I'm told they have a very deep tap root, so I don't know how well they'd survive a transplant, but if you'd like to attempt it, let me know so I can dig it for you!

See you Saturday :)
    - Meredith

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

meredith- I have a fushia colored crepe myrtle, can I trade you for a lavender?
    I thought I was getting some purple ones, and got 4 total of the same color- I was so dissappointed, I planted two and have two on the porch in pots still. Mine are still babies- maybe 12 inches tall or so

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gina, the plant pictured is a shrimp plant. It was labeled as one when I got it and the leaves are the same as on the shrimps. I hope there are some takers.

Haven't anything from Joey ...

See y'all soon :-)

• meriberi
    12 years ago

flowerlover,
    I'll dig the lavender ones for you. I don't need any more crepe myrtles, so maybe you can swap your fuchsia ones with someone else! You've already got me down for agave/yucca anyway!

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

sounds good - maybe someone else will want one

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is anyone able to bring a wagon????

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

mine is in need of repair so I can not do so

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Roselee, I will have a wagon. It has finally worked out so that I can come, and I'll post my HAVES list shortly.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Jim, that's wonderful. I'm so glad to hear you're coming. However I'm sorry to say that most of us don't have much stuff to swap this time. I just hope you can go home with something! Is there anything in my yard that you've seen in pictures of which I can bring starts or cuttings? And that goes for everybody else also.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Thanks Roselee, I'm sure there will be plenty of plants to trade for. In fact, I've found several on the lists in this thread, including you 'Special' shrimp. I'll ask for them as soon as I post my list. Besides, I like being Santa Claus.
    Jim

• castro_gardener
    12 years ago

Hello All !

I see that there is a small chance of rain on Saturday. Hallelujah !

We have always had our swaps rain or shine, so I hope you will still be there. We do have a covered pavilion, so don't let the chance of some wonderful rain keep you from coming. Hopefully, it will rain on our gardens while we are away, but not on us while we're swapping !

Jim, please take a look at my list above, and let me know if there's anything that interests you. And please let us know if you are looking for anything that is NOT on any list ! As Tonya can attest, we almost filled her WANT list !

patty

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Jim, so glad y'all can make it.

I will bring my Lawn Buddy pull cart.

{{gwi:1318429}}

It is larger than this pic. LOL

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

OK, here's the list of plants I intend to bring to the swap. Confirming pre-trades may be a little difficult because I'm leaving Alvin Thursday morning headed to Graham, south of Wichita Falls, to attend a funeral. I'll leave Graham Friday afternoon, headed to San Antonio, and don't know that I'll have computer access during that time.

Yellow Buttercups (Tunera ulmifolia)2
    Chocolate plant
    White rain lilies 2
    x Ruttyruspolia
    Mexican Flame vine, the red one (Sao Paulo) 1
    Rangoon creeper 1
    Flame Acanthus 2
    Pride of Barbados
    Bush morning Glory (white)
    Bush Morning Glory (pink)
    Cat Whiskers
    Philippine Violets (purple)
    Philippine Violets (white)
    Yellow cestrum
    King's Mantle 2
    Bleeding Heart vine (white)
    Persian Palm (Alocasia 'Calodora')
    Stingray (Alocasia 'Stingray')2
    Violet Trumpet vine 1
    Yellow Butterfly vine 1
    Sweet Almond verbena 2
    Heliotrope
    Crocosmia 'Lucifer' bulbs
    Mojito (Colocasia esculenta 'Mojito')
    Red Shrimp Plant
    Yellow Shrimp Plant
    Fruit cocktail Shrimp Plant
    Mexican Honeysuckle

Also, Saturday, at Mercer Swap, I traded for 1 candlestick cassia, Roselee? and 1 Popcorn cassia that I'll bring. Anything on the list without a number, I have at least 3.

Now, if these are still available, and you can find something on my list you would like, I would like to trade for :

Donna;
    Syngonium 'French Marble'
    ZigZag cactus
    Sophora tomentosa
    Agloamema modestum variegata

Patty;
    Zexmenia
    Dwarf barbados cherry
    Henry Duelburg salvia

Tonya;
    Philippine violet variegated
    White bird of Paradise
    Hibiscus acetosella

Kathy;
    Larkspur seeds

Roselee;
    Your unnamed red shrimp

Jim

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

I knew that I would forget something.I'm also bringing pink Poppy seeds, LOTS of pink Poppy seeds, and seeds of tripple yellow Datura,& tipple purple and lavender Datura.

Barbra, if it's not too late to ask, I would really like a start of your red crinum.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim, I've always wanted to try a Mexican Flame vine and to get a San Paulo would really be a plus. So I'd be happy to trade a couple or all of the unnamed shrimp plant for it since no once else has spoken for them.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Jim,I have you down for larkspur seed. Would you like some blue and white nigella, also?

{{gwi:654378}}

pink poppy seed, yes!

triple purple datura seeds, yes

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Now that I have a pond, I would like a Persian Palm (Alocasia 'Calodora', if still available.

I also have red peony poppy seeds.

{{gwi:660157}}

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Roselee, I put your name on the Sao Paulo. Do you want the candlestick cassia?

Kathy, I've got you down for a Persian Palm, pink Poppy seeds,& triple purple datura. Yes, I would like some nigella seeds, and that lovely peony poppy, and a few Corn poppy seeds, if you still have any.
    Jim

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Great! if I still have the corn poppy seeds I will add them to your stash.

Wish I had more to offer ;^(

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Tonya, if you don't already have some coming from someone else, I can dig you some Blue eyed grass 'Suwannee River'.
    Let me know.
    Jim

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

Labeled things this morning and got things all separated by person etc- I have about a dzn or so plants left that I will swap when I get there- I do have an american beauty berry too, that I found. I am looking forward to seeing everyone.

Jim I have a candlestick for roselee, however I am not too good on the whole name so I am not sure if it is candlestick cassia or not? I got seeds from someone in austin- as a candlestick bush/ tree- And planted them last spring- so that is what I had for her- if it is the wrong one maybe someone else will want it.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

flowerlover, I'm sure what we have are the same. I just missed where you said you would bring her one. I'll have mine there if someone else wants one.
    Jim

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

no prob- yours might wind up being better looking- haha- I have another one to swap as well

Not sure if you are still online Jim- but I would love a triple datura seed

• castro_gardener
    12 years ago

Jim, I have been wanting some blue-eyed grass, if you are still willing to dig some up. I know it was an offer to Tonya, though, so if there is not enough for two, please let it go to her first.

I will bring the three that you requested from me, and will dig up a larger Duelberg, as well, since the ones I have are smaller seedlings in pots.

If you don't hear back from Barbra about the red crinum, let me know and I'll bring you one of mine.

would like from your list:

rangoon creeper (since Ragna/Roselee and I were just talking about hers a few hours ago !)

crocosmia Lucifer bulbs

cat whiskers

Thanks Jim ! Hope the rain doesn't keep you away. Stay safe !

patty

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

OK flowerlover, I have you down for some Datura seeds.

Patty,thank you. Have you down for your requests. I haven't heard from Tonya or Barbara, but Barbra is probably down at the coast. She said earlier that she was bringing several, so I bet she will have enough for me to get one. I was wondering who would want the Rangoon creeper. Mine covers the whole front of the shop, and is absolutely covered with blooms right now.
    Jim

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

I have Mystic Spires Salvia that I can bring cuttings from and a couple Kentucky Colonel Mint plants I dug today to add to my list.

• castro_gardener
    12 years ago

Shirley -- was going to email but thought you might be monitoring this a little more. Could I try your mint ? I realized earlier that you and I had not talked about a swap. I guess we have everything the other has by now, right ? Let me know if there's something I can bring you. Are you looking for something that's not on any lists ? I might have something, just ask me.

Jim -- thanks bunches.

patty

• carrie751
    12 years ago

One of these years I am going to make it one of these swaps...........you guys have so much to offer, and sounds like so much fun. Take lots of pix.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Patty, Hi I've been reading my email more often lately. The mint is really good, the perfect mint flavor. I'll dig more in case others want some.

I'd love some zexmenia. Look forward to seeing you at the swap.

carrie - We swap again in March and we'd love to see you. If you happen to be in SA at another time let us know, we get together outside the swaps sometimes too.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carrie -- come on down! Anytime ... but this Saturday would be nice :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm bringing these seeds. All grow from seed very easily. The only thing I haven't grown from seeds is Velvet pod mimosa.

Scarlet pentapete ...

Green malabar spinach ... a very good eating vine!

Amaranth hopi red that Jolana gave me ...

Love in a puff ...

Velvet pot mimosa ...

Celosia flamingo feather ...

Pride of Barbados ... I guess everybody knows what that looks like :-)

Also a few pipevine seeds.

See you soon!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Just got back from the coast:
    Tonya, I have the angelinia for you

Roselee I would love one of your beautiful shrimp plants.

Jim, I would love the kings mantel, violet trumphet vine and the yellow shrimp plant, if still availalbe. I will bring you a giant red leaf crinum, and one one of the snow queen hibiscus, it has a coral blooms, its beautiful. I will also give you a red and pink bleeding heart if you want one. Mine loves full sun. Something else that loves full sun is the purple butterfly bush, if you would like one, just let me know.

This is what I have brought back with me. I have seeds from the double white datura( I only get one seed pod a year, and I brought it back.

I have purple butterfly bush (1) if Jim doesn't want then 2
    Candelstick plants(2) nice size
    red and pink bleeding heart (1) just potted, if Jim doesn't want then 2
    giant red leaf crinum (3) promised one to Jim. 2 left
    Candelstick plants (2)
    Tropicanna canna (2)
    Angelonia purple (3) one promised to Tonya
    orange cone ginger (1) shade plant
    African hosta(1) shade plant
    Coneflower white(2) one promised to Roselee
    I have some plants I like they look like mums, but they are variegated and grow like weeds, low growing ground cover, I
    like them, but do not know what they are called have( 30
    BRINGING A DAYLILY FOR Patty, of course I do not know the color, but it will either be pink or purple.

Barbra

• castro_gardener
    12 years ago

Barbra -- I sent you an email.

patty

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

barbara I would love a crinum
    Gina

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

crazy questin here and very last minute- does anyone need any baby tilapia for aquaponics? Their min temp of water is 55 so keep that in mind. I have extra right now and just had more babies yesterday. If you want some I can bring a couple in a bucket for you.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Barbra - I'd like some of that ground cover. Sounds interesting, we'll try to get "someone" (Jim?) to ID it for us. The African Hosta also.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does any one have the rose "MAGGIE" from which they could bring some cuttings???

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Roselee I went to Lowes today at Callaghan and they had their $19.99 roses for $5. I was just there at 1pm, they had alot right in front of the nursery. Mostly red, and purple, and a few pink ones with the flat blooms. I did not recogonize any of the names, I think they are the newer florabunda roses. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Ready set go!!!! I am going to start loading my car right now. I plan on being there early. Barbra

P.S Albert will not be there and asked if anyone had an extra rootbeer plant, he would love it. I promised him one, but lost all mine in the freeze, I would love to trade for one for him. Barbra

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

going to be loading my car as well soon, just in case we get some rain - I would like everything to be in there, I have other things I did not mention before - plants that is, that I am bringing too- sure there will be people there who are just starting- and I started doing clippings and now have way too many of some things out here.

• meriberi
    12 years ago

Roselee,
    I have Maggie - mine's a baby, bit i'll bring u a few cuttings. See u around 8 to unload!

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    12 years ago

Looking forward to seeing everyone today. :)