Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

WANTED: wanted: Chinese Tallow Trees

sylviatexas1
9 years ago

can use a lot of them.

have red oak seedlings, a couple of small pecan seedlings, 1 cottonwood, box elder, something that may be an althea.

also have pigeonberry, vinca, irises, cannas, water plants (horsetail, parrot feather, water lily of some kind), couple of baby red yuccas.

Comments (13)

• bossjim1
    9 years ago

I pull them up by the hundreds out of my flower beds, but I could not, with a clear conscience, send them anywhere else in the state.
    Jim

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks.

so I'm still looking!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anybody have seedlings?

• ugogran
    9 years ago

I've been potting tallow tree seedlings as I pull them out of my flower beds. If you still have some, I will trade for red oak seedlings.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have about one zillion red oak seedlings,
    will start potting them up this week!

Please let me know via email on my member page where you are;
    I'm in Waxahachie, just south of Dallas.

Maybe we can 'meet in the middle', etc.

Thanks!

• marilyn_c
    9 years ago

Sylvia, they have seed pods on them now....I can send you about a million seeds in a couple of months, but if it ever gets out that you got them started in your area, they might string you up. I believe I read somewhere that the original owner of Teas Nursery in Houston is the one who brought them here and got them started. They do make a fast growing tree that has fall color....something not very plentiful around here...fall coloring. I don't think they make a very long lived tree though....maybe 30 to 40 years. Let me know if you still want some seeds and I can send you all you want in a few months. They are also a very messy tree....always dropping something....blooms, seeds, the seed pods themselves, and leaves....but if you want some seeds, I can send you all you want.

I remember about 25 years ago, someone was buying the seeds....when they first drop they are white, then turn black. I think they wanted just the white ones....was going to try to find a use for them....making what, I don't know. I remember my neighbor at the time was collecting the seeds to sell.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Marilyn!
    I can use some seeds, just one 'envelope's worth'.

I think they're actually illegal in Houston, but Houston has *water* to go with its summer heat;
    in the Dallas area, summer means dry as last week's toast.

I had a Chinese tallow several years ago, & I never had trouble with them spreading through the neighborhood.

In fact, there used to be a huge one at Dallas's Fair Park, on a rise in the middle of a vast empty space, & it was all by itself, not an offspring in sight.

• cindybnbigd
    8 years ago

I need seeds to get started let me know the details if something, or everything, avail. I'm a beginner gardener, need all help I can get. In the Dallas area zone 8. Thanks! Cindy

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Welcome, cindy!

You'll probably get more readers & better results if you start a new thread.

What area are you in?

• s8us89ds
    8 years ago

This is the first I've ever heard of someone wanting invasive Chinese Tallow. Was it a prank? An act of botanical vandalism against a hated enemy? :)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's an old thread, brought to the top by spam which has since been deleted.

Let it die.

• josephene_gw
    8 years ago

Wish I had joined in this discussion last fall.

Sylvia, just drive south about 50 mi or so especially on the east side

Of the state and they are free, alongside the road.

Is the Chinese tallow hardy in the DFW area?

Have fun gardening.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH