Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: have: bee brush, aloysia gratissima

Posted by xtal z8b Temple, TX (cifisher@vvm.com) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 21:25

Xeric small treelike shrub with while flowers. Not sure how well it would start from seeds, so surplus seeds would be given out.

Would like to trade for Mountain Pink seeds or another bee or butterfly attractor.

Xtal

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitebrush

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: have: bee brush, aloysia gratissima

I would love to have this plant. Where did you find it?

I have a bee brush, Aloysia macrostachya (Rio grande beebrush) commonly called 'Wooly Bee Brush' which I dearly love. It's evergreen and always in bloom. The only place it has come up from seed is in pots of cactus that are near by, and then only four times that I can remember.

Maybe you could try shaking a branch of spent blooms over some pots of soil with a very thin layer of small gravel and see if you get seedlings. I'm going to try that with mine to get some small plants to pass along. If we're both successful maybe we can trade.

Here's some photos ...
 photo AWoolyBeeBrush3789.jpg

photo DWoolyBeeBush7767.jpg

Wooly Bee Bush photo WoolyBeeBush4818.jpg

Wolly Bee Bush photo WoolyBeeBush4823.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Wooly bee brush, Aloysia macrostachya

o

I bet it would grow from cuttings. Mountain pink seed will not be ready till December. They are really slow to mature in the bush. One thinks the brush is dead because it is brown and then grey, but one digs in past the outer layers and there is still moisture in the twigs and seed pods, so don't go ripping them up now. Try in early december. I will be collecting then. Also with the mountain pinks one needs a FULL day sun hell strip on a slope. They are picky plants.

Also, I think the bee bush will grow from cuttings.

o

Wantonamara, I think you might be right. Starting cuttings in the Fall on this plant probably is the way to go. I haven't seen it attracting the bees that I thought it would. My preference would be the Fragrant White Fall Blooming Mistlower for a better attractor. But, this one doesn't seem to need much watering. I guess it depends upon what you are looking for. Glad I have one, but I don't think I'd be looking to plant another.

Maybe someone else has better luck than I've had.
Xtal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here