have: san antonio plant swap (saps) october 12, 2013

rock_oak_deer
10 years ago

It's time to plan for the San Antonio Plant Swap October 12, 2013 at

Fall 2013 SAN ANTONIO PLANT SWAP -- MARK YOUR CALENDARS
DATE: Saturday October 12, 2013
TIME: 9:00 to noonish

LOCATION: Rogiers Park, 209 Pleasant Dr., Balcones Heights, Texas

Everyone is welcome, especially new gardeners! You don't have to swap plants, bring something to share and you will be rewarded. It's a bit of a walk from the parking to the shelter so bring a wagon or cart if you have one.

See you there!

Post your trades on this thread or our Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAPSwap/

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 11:02

Comments (149)

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm thinking of going--never been & don't know how it works. I have some old roses--Mme. Laurette Messime, a few Ragged Robins, Pink Favorite, Caldwell Pink, a nice La Marne, some common stuff like horse herb, mealy sage, lots of stuff I could dig but don't know if it's too late.

Also have tons of pots--2"-2 gallons. So just HOW far is it to haul stuff? I can bring a little red wagon. Thanks for any tips.

• castro_gardener
    10 years ago

Because Bluegirl mentioned that she does not know how this works, I have copied the post from past swaps. Hopefully it will help others, as well.

To help newbies get a better idea of how this works, and to remind others that we like to play nice, I try to get some "rules" out there for everyone to review. They help us all have a relaxing, good time.
    After nearly 15 years of hostessing and attending these swaps I've learned a lot from others. This is especially helpful to newbies who have told me often that they were confused with the way things were done at the swap. Hopefully, this will help them a little.

When you arrive, please seek out a hostess if we don't greet you first. Especially if you haven't been before. Any of us will be happy to help you with any questions you might have. Get a name tag, sign up for door prizes, and if we have one, sign the list for future notifications of swaps.

Don't forget to bring a sack lunch. We'll need sustenance for continued swapping ! Some swaps have a potluck lunch, and there are some who bring things to share with others, but bring something for yourself just in case. Cold drinks are sometimes provided, but please don't count on this.

We will usually have door prizes. If you'd like to donate to our stash, please bring a new or gently used gardening item. We usually include things like fertilizer, gloves, tools, outdoor decorations, books, etc.

Garden Junk and Garden Art is also welcome for trading. Hoses, trellises, rusty buckets, signs, you name it ! We've had people bring homemade soap, mosaic pots, and other great items.

In the past, we welcomed your donations to help pay for the rental of a park pavilion. We are happy that this new location costs nothing (for now). If you ever attend a swap that asks for donations please drop a few dollars in the jar to help cover the cost -- which is usually covered out of the pocket of the hostess. Please consider that you're leaving the swap with plants that would have cost so much more at a nursery. A little money in the jar will go far to help these great swaps continue.

You may want to bring cardboard boxes to haul home your booty. You may end up taking home more than you bring, and it's not always easy to get it all back in your car. Packing in boxes will allow you to stack them and keep your plants safe.

Bring something to use for labeling the plants you receive. Old window blinds are excellent for this purpose ! They last forever and they're kept out of landfills.

On that note, please label your plants for others. It saves a lot of time at the swap. You don't have to tell everyone what each plant is, since they already have names on them.

Another helpful hint, which takes more time, but is great to have: consider putting a notebook together of your plants. Add pictures and descriptions of each plant you bring. Over time, you can add to it as you accumulate different types of plants. This also saves time at the swap. Others can view your notebook to see what a certain plant will look like.

There are usually not enough tables for everyone at the pavilion, so please consider bringing small tables to use to set your plants on.

While swapping, please do not take plants off another person's table without asking. They may be across the room promising that same plant to someone else. Please find the owner and ask permission. Everyone's different, of course, and may bid you take whatever you like. But it's good to err on the side of caution, and ask anyway. It's a good idea for all of us to put our name on our table so that everyone knows who to find when they see a plant they'd like.

Plants usually placed under the tables are not for swapping. This is where we place the plants we're taking home.

Some plants are special or rare and the swapper may want something special in return. This is understandable. On the other hand, some of us don't always need something in return. Please consider everyone's feelings while swapping.

You may notice above and below this post that people are talking about the plants they have. If you are new to this and wonder what's going on, this is what we call pre-arranged swapping. You can list what you have and others can either post here what they would like from your list or they can contact you by email (if you make sure you add your email to your preferences). You can check their lists to see if you'd like to make a swap. Keep track of each swap and bring the plants to the event for that person, and they will bring what you liked from their list. This is not necessary, of course. You can just bring your plants to the swap and trade in person. But if you pre-arrange swaps, it's kind of like reserving a plant that you really want. If you wait until the swap, someone else may get it before you do. And that can be a bummer !

Last but not least, have a good time. Make new friends ! I've met really great folks at the swaps and we're still swapping many years later !!

Patty

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bluegirl, please do make plans to attend the swap and bring whatever you have. We'd enjoy meeting you and you will learn so much about gardening in San Antonio. Items for the door prize table are always welcomed.

I have attached a link with photos of the location for those of you who are new. I'd say it's about 50 yds. or so. Not too far but it's especially tiresome carrying your stuff back to the car when the swap ends.

Patty thanks for posting the swap "rules". All of us can use a reminder ahead of time.

It looks like we will have more attendees this time so extra tables will be needed if you have them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous swap thread with photos

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 21:52

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Our plant swap is wonderful! You just need to show up. We are all seasoned gardeners, wanting to share our plants.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

THANKS! for all the helpful info. Sounds like a lot of fun :-)

• gardenlover1
    10 years ago

Is anyone interested in trading a garden junkie - rain water storage container, I have been looking for one.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    10 years ago

Hello all, I'm still new to Gardenweb but I've wanted to attend a swap for what seems like FOREVER! (LOL) Unfortunately, I live in Waco so its a bit of a drive, but my husband and I have 6 young kiddos (9 &under) and care for my mother, Uncle (has Downs Syndrome) and grandmother that live with us. Because we are the sole care providers it makes trips very difficult if not impossible. I've been working very hard this yr to get a rose garden going for grandma, and its coming along pretty well. My kids and I started a few small perennial gardens around our property and I'd love to add whatever I can. I dont have much but would love to trade ! Im happy to pay shipping both ways if necessary. Thank you all for listening!
    ♥Lyna

Have list :
    Red shrimp plant, & Fruit cocktail shrimp plant
    Bleeding heart Vine white and red & purple and red
    rooted gardenia
    rooted lemon ( meyer)
    Rooted figs
    oxblood lily
    spider lily
    crinum lily
    rooted plumeria
    double purple datura
    snail vine (fragrant)
    Canna (tall &some mini's)
    Gompherina purple , orange and red
    Pride of Barbados seedlings several
    Jasmine vine cuttings

Want list:
    Dutchmans pipe vine (any variety)
    Cleodendrum bungeii
    love in a mist seeds
    rose cuttings (rooted if possible, I can root everything but roses arrg! Lol)
    Mrs Dudley Cross &Rosette Delizy rose (some of grandmas fav's among others)are two I still haven't been able to get ahold of
    Anything u dont want I'll be happy to give a home;)

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Hello, this is Sylvia from DFW-

I've been 'doing' the Ft Worth Swap for years, have read about your wonderful swap for years but never could get there, and...
    still can't.

but the very kind dcarpenter (Darlene) has offered to take my stuff to your swap.

so...if it isn't too late, here are some things I'd love to swap:

Tally,
    I have tons of cobalt blue 'partyware' glassware that's been sitting idle for a number of years, plates, cups, saucers, bowls, dessert plates, plus other glassware, mostly from estate sales & thrift shops that I got when I had ambitions of doing garden totems myself.
    I also have most of a set of clear glass partyware.
    I can get pics tonight & send to you.

I'd love to have any of your crinums,
    hymenocallis, Crinum Asiaticum.

Garden Lover,
    have an orange & yellow striped rose, no cuttings yet, & it isn't a big plant, looks like it might be a floribunda or similar, but I'll be happy to take as many cuttings as I can.

I also have a Martha Gonzales rose in a pot.

I would love Mme Carriere if she's available & if you feel the trade would be equable, or maybe just some of your pecans.

roselee
    I have some beautiful lavender-flowering sedum;
    the plant itself resembles Autumn Joy, but the flowers are pale lavender, & it's in bloom now.
    It's very hardy.
    & I don't know if you'd want it, you may have similar things where you live, but there's some kind of small, sprawling-ish succulent growing in an area that has rock-hard alkaline clay & that has been mown & nothing else for the last 56 years that I know of.
    It's little, but it's tough.

If you still have a shrimp plant that will survive outdoors in zone 8a, I'd love to have one.

sunnysa

I have lavender sedum & a wild succulent (see my message to roselee just above).

I also have an artemesia, but you may or may not have a place for it.
    It's a totally rampant monster.
    It grows about 5' tall on the side of the road in gravelly, dry, alkaline clay, & it spreads like gossip.
    Once it starts to flopping over, you can cut it back hard & it starts all over again.
    It dies to the ground in winter here.

I'd love some African irises & plant labels if still available.

Patty/castrogardener,
    I have junk!
    & old jewelry!
    more jewelry than junk, I've only found 1 extremely heavy teakettle & something that I don't know what it is...
    I'll take photos tonight & send to you.

Depending on how much of this stuff you like or want or can use, I'd like some of your amaryllis, pineapple sage, & antique roses.

nbtonya
    I can send you some irises;
    I call them "Melanie's Purple" iris.
    haven't seen it bloom yet, but Melanie says that people stop their cars to take pictures when it's in bloom.

I also have some daylilies, probably the old-fashioned orange Kwanzos, but they have their virtues (they cannot be killed, & the only things that'll keep them from blooming are shade & drought.)

wantonamara
    I dont know what I can give you, but my "haves" are below.
    If we can work it out, I'd like some of your jonquils if they're not spoken for.

alwayzbgrateful,
    I can send you some Melanie's Purple irises (see my post to nbtonya above), a pot of liriope, vinca vine for shade (dies back in winter here but indestructible if you water it during our droughts & it grows under trees where nothing else will survive), & please look at my "haves" below.
    If your shrimp plants are hardy outdoors in zone 8A, I'd like red and/or fruit cocktail.
    I'd love, love, love a gardenia if available.
    & here are my 'haves':

dwarf cannas, about 3' tall, bright yellow with orange throat.

cannas about 4' or so tall, lemon yellow.

lavender sedum, looks a lot like Autumn Joy but pale lavender, blooming now, dies back in winter, re-emerges in spring.

Mother of Millions. several!

lemon mint. makes you smile to smell it, & I've had it to stay green all winter when we have a mildish winter & when it's on the south side of the house protected from wind.

cast iron plant/aspidistra; evergreen, can be a houseplant or a garden plant.

Jewel of Opar. shade/bright shade/little bit of sun in the morning but not much. dies back in winter & reemerges. beautiful plant, flowers look like tiny twinkle lights.

Melanie's Purple iris; I have tons of these & can get more. Melanie was an orchid person until she had to move north, & she was used to fertilizing, spraying, pampering...so she put Miracle Grow on the 3 irises somebody gave her...

Golden Rain Trees, at least 2, about 3' tall.

pigeonberry-shade/bright shade/little bit of morning sun but not much. dies back in winter, re-emerges in spring, flowers & makes bright red berries, & keeps flowering & making berries until hard frost.

I'm so excited, wish I could be there, can't wait to hear from Darlene how it all goes!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Alwayzgrateful, I'd be glad to mail Love in a Puff and Dutchman's Pipe seeds. Also noticed a small volunteer Cleodendrum bungeii plant I could dig and send as a bareroot. Just send me your address through 'My Page'.

Sylvia, I'm interested in your lavender sedum and your 'tough as nails wild succulent, but if it's the small leafed low growing grey one I have that.. I do have red shrimp available and it's been root hardy through our coldest winters. Do I have any seeds you'd want?

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I'll take some pics of the little succulent.

Yes, I'd *love* some scarlet & pink pentapete seeds & some velvet pod mimosa

Thanks!

edited to add:

I also have:

purple tall Mexican petunia, lots of it

2 or 3 Angelwing begonias that need a home where they can stay warm this winter

1 pink crepe myrtle, don't know what the name is.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 17:49

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Hi SylviaTexas. I'll put your name on the African Irises with some plant labels. I would love to have the lavender sedum and the 'wild thing,' lol. Don't know about the artemesia. The one we had, that I managed to kill, was the silver mound. It's still a learning process for us.

It's really too bad you can't make the trip. We look forward to maybe meeting you in a future swap. Thanks so much for the post.

• nbtonya
    10 years ago

Lyna, I have Rosette DeLizzy, but none rooted. I can send you a bunch of cuttings if you want to try rooting them.I can certainly understand rose rooting frustration, but have had some success lately. Roselee seems to have great success, but mine is still only sporadic when I use her method...

Anyway, let me know if you want to give it a shot. If so, I will pick something from your list then.

Sylviatx, the irises and daylilies sound great! Do you see anything on my list you are interested in?

Tonya

• castro_gardener
    10 years ago

Hi Sylvia ! what a sweetie Darlene is for doing this !

yes, please email me directly.... would love pictures of everything you've got jewelry / junk.

send to

soriano471@sbcglobal.net

thank you !!

patty

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sylvia, this is so wonderful. We look forward to seeing Darlene represent DFW at the swap!

I'd love some of your Melanie's iris and can give your begonias a happy winter home. If you don't see something on my list let me know what you are looking for because my list is always flexible.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I am just now coming up for oxygen from my work. I went around the yard digging some natives out of the pathways. Salvia chicquita, Salvia romeriana, Phlox piloa, Ageratina havanensis, Ageratina havanensis, Broom snake weed (Guitierrezian sarothrae, Artemisia "Valery Finnis" ( loves alkaline limestone soils), Penstemon tenuis,caliche based. Hopefully I will have some Standing cypress (wildflower) .I know I am forgetting something.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Hi DCarpenter, Darlene. I am interested in you Manfreda mocha-macho and Salvia nueva leon. Mine died in the last winter. It was really dry down here. Oh and a penstemon. Is there anything on my list that you are interested in. I have taken the jonquils off since they are lost in the bulb garden. You can email me by going to my page if you like....or not.
    _mara

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Alwayzbgrateful, I would love to have some of your lilies... we have none at all. I could mail you anything on my list or send you whatever is left from my swap plants. I also have a cute 'grandmother' sign that I could mail to you. Do you have an email address? I could send pics.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

This sounds like y'all have so much fun-
    wisht I could get there!

I'm going to box things up & take to Darlene tonight, & if your box isn't right, I apologize, & I understand if you want to swap your plants for something better.

so here's my 'go with it 'cause time's running out' list.
    If I get messages before I head out, I'll make adjustments.

Sunnysa:

my lavender sedum & wild sedum
    for your African irises & plant labels.

Roselee

my lavender sedum & wild sedum
    for your shrimp plants & seeds for pentapete & mimosa

nbtonya:

my Melanie's irises & daylilies
    for, if you still have them, lantana confetti (pink & yellow) & rose cuttings, Heritage & Jude the Obscure if available.

castrogardener/patty:

my junk & jewelry if I can get my camera to behave & if you want what I have!
    for your amaryllis and/or roses

rockoakdeer:

my Melanie's iris & Angelwing begonias (thank you for adopting them!)
    for your indigo spires & echeverria ruyoni if still abailavle

beachplant:

my glassware & stuff
    for your crinum/hymenocallis/crinum asiaticum if any still left & coral vine seeds
    I just sent you an email with pics.

alwayzbgrateful
    my dwarf cannas, tall cannas, Melanie's irises, daylilies for
    your shrimp plants
    gardenia

gardenlover

my bag Miracle Grow soil
    big pots for
    your Mme Carriere
    I thank you for your generosity, & I feel terrible that I don't have something more appropriate (I do have a Martha Gonzeles pot-grown rose & a Caldwell pink pot-grown rose if you'd like them.)

If there's enough room, I'll send some extra irises & cannas & Mexican petunias (or are those pests in your area??) as well.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

There's a chance of rain on Saturday. Patty called asking me to post that we've always had the plant swap rain or shine so if that's agreeable with y'all we'll continue the tradition. This info is especially for the sake of those driving in from out of town.

Even if it does rain it's often over in a few minutes anyway. And unless it's absolutely pouring at my place when we're done trading we'll have the garden open as well. I'll be bringing maps on how to get here.

See ya' soon!

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sylvia, the echeverria is yours. The only Indigo Spires are fresh unrooted cuttings at this point and I'm pretty sure that won't make it back to Dallas. If I do find one to dig I'll certainly include it.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Thanks!

I'm off to load up the car & head to Darlene's.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Alwayzbgrateful, I'd love some oxblood lilies if you still have any.
    I have Mme. Laurette Messime & Ragged Robin rooted now--year old plants--& can try rooting Mrs. Dudley Cross & Rosette Delizy for you. E-mail me & I can send a list of stuff I've got. Now that it's cooler it's easy to ship.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I`m digging crinums in the am before picking up the car

Barb, just stick it in the ground and forget it. Mom cuts hers back about once a month. LOTs of sun.-Chalice vine is yours baby.

Blue dishes are perfect!

I just dug clerodendrum bungeii so they are yours!

dug a ton of the small native Dutchmans pipe vines out so there are plenty of those.

gotta see if I can find some coral vine I can actually get dug up, it just takes over. There should be seeds though and when whacking it off the bananas I found the white! Woo-hoo! That was the only one I planted the pink came in with Ike.

I have my own rules, if it`s on my table and you touch it you have to take it, and the one next to it. I`ll trade anything for chocolate, or crinums-I have an addiction. Is there a crinum 12 step program?

I`ll try and remember to grab some shrimp plant while out there.

the key to growing swiss chard is plant it in the fall, it dies off in our summers, I can usually keep a couple alive on the deck if I water them daily.

We`re waterproof. Just keep the cupcakes dry!
    Tally Ho!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Tally, you're so much fun!

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tally, our rule is you have to attend every swap forever!

See everyone there! I would love a pipevine if you see this.

Sylvia, I found a nice size Indigo Spires for you. I just dug it so it will need to be babied for a while.

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 13:06

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I only found one 'wild' succulent, & I put it in a box, can't remember which person's box, but I'll find another one next spring & send it to the 2nd person who wanted it.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Ok, just got back from the coast with everyones Mexican flame vines, as well as the plants I promised. I have a Mexican bird of paradise in yellow. Also, for Tally, and Shirely, I have dup up a plant that I do not know the name of, but I really like it since it is variegated. I also have morning glory plants, and canna's pink and white, that I got from Siam in Trinidad, his own hybrid, that I have grown from a seed. Barbra Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbra I have the pink canna from Siam and would love the white as well. Thanks for the unknown plant, I'm sure I'll like it.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Shirley the bloom is pink and white, the other canna I got from him is orange and yellow, I think, I have only one of those. My favorite one is the pink and cream bloom, Its more cream than white.

This is the other one, and I only have one root

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Okay, unless the weather goes to heck tomorrow morning I'm coming.

Bringing:
    Roses
    Mme Laurette Messime
    Ragged Robin
    Pink Chiffon--all well rooted since last year
    several little Caldwell Pinks

Aztec Dream Herb--rooted cuttings
    couple of little Persian Shields--Strobianthes
    a few little toothache plants--Spilanthes acmella
    Jewel of Ophir
    frog fruit
    water clover
    horse herb (I know, I know, it's a weed, but what a great groundcover! I've come to appreciate it)
    some little rooted Vick's plant

bags of chocolate mint, Kentucky Colonel spearmint.

At this point I don't know what exactly is stuffed in the car--very last minute decision to come & I've never been before.

I reeaaaaly WANT some lizard's tail! I have hornwort & parrot feather I can bring if someone wants water plants. Lots of dry land natives like fleabane daisy, mealy sage, 4 nerve daisy, zexmenia I could dig & send. Tried to dig some up this afternoon but the ground's too hard.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Bluegirl, we're happy to hear that you're coming! That's an interesting list of plants. See you there! And at my place afterwards for fun snacks and tall tales.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, y'all will be thrilled to hear that the Voodoo Lily is blooming again right on (off) schedule. I've got a sack ready to put over her pretty little pointed head. (There -- you stinker!)

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Looking forward to meeting you, Roselee! thanks!

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbra, if the orange is still available that's the one I want. I knew there was another color....

Bluegirl we are looking forward to seeing you there.

Looks like we will have close to 30 attending!

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 21:16

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Shirley you are in luck, I only had one orange plant, and one root. I have quite a bit of the pink and cream one to give away, it seems to grow faster than the other one. Its my favorite. I also have a 6ft red canna in my my back yard, if anyone wants, I will dig it up in the morning for them. Just let me know I will check the forum before I leave. Shirley the fire depts. phone number is 735 9206, they gave us the phone number last year for the police officer, for the partk, if you need for him to come by and unlock anything. Barbra

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Just got back. How nice to meet everyone! Thank you all for your generosity--wonderful plants, seeds, baked goodies, *stuff*--& what a great location. Thank you all for your hospitality & sharing.

Dang, I hauled back so much my head was swimming so I've been writing notes about plants & people when I take a break from planting.

Best wishes to all.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for the fun swap today, I enjoyed seeing everyone and meeting new friends.

Barbra-The mayor of Balcones Heights stopped by with some questions about using the park for a plant swap. You need to call her to get this straightened out before using Rogiers Park again.

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 14:45

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Shirley, I called my brother-in-law to get the new mayors phone number. I told my sister-in-law, what you were told. She said not to worry about it, her husband (city councelman) will take care of it. I will follow up with her later, don't worry. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Barbra!

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Once again a great swap! Thanks to everyone who came out and shared their plants, food and stories. We had a great time at Roslees garden. I`ll get pics up tomorrow.

See you in the spring. We`re going to come up for about 4 days and play tourist then.
    Tally & Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Yes, thanks to everyone participating we had another great swap. Thank goodness it's raining today instead of yesterday! Photos have been posted on the Texas Gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of San Antonio Plant Swap Oct. 12, 2013

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I think a bunch of snails from Galveston came to Dripping to Die Hehehehe. We clocked in at 6" of rain today.

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

I had a great time on Saturday. I loved meeting everyone. Thank you all for your generosity. My husband wanted to stop and watch a movie as soon as we left the park. Ugh! I looked and smelled ferocious, but we stopped and watched Captain Phillips. Awesome movie. We took our time driving back and stopped and had dinner. All in all, we had a great day. Thanks again everyone! I worked in the yard all day yesterday. My body is paying for it today at work! Thank goodness I'm not busy. Can't wait until the next plant swap. See you then!

Darlene

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darlene I'm so glad you and your family had such a good time Saturday.

I should have given you the Indigo Spires which was badly wilted in the morning because it perked up later in the day and would have been fine.

• gardenlover1
    10 years ago

Darlene: I am glad that I was able to hand over the rose plant to you for Sylvia even though I made in the last minute to the swap.

Also, Good to meet some of you who are still there.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you!

I just looked at the pics, & once again I wish I had been able to be at your marvelous swap-
    Y'all always sound like a great big happy bunch, & you always have a great time!

I picked up my wonderful plants at Darlene's yesterday evening & got home after dark, so they spent the night in their pots & boxes.

got out first thing this morning & sorted & watered & even got Louis Phillippe & 2 of the crinums in the ground!

Thank you again!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Sylvia, thanks for trading with us through Darlene even if you couldn't attend in person. The plants you sent are much appreciated!

• beachplant
    10 years ago

already looking for a hotel on the riverwalk for the spring swap.

Those are not snails, they are ESCARGOT! Did I forget the directions to prepare them? Put them in an aquarium and feed them lettuce for a week, once they have been purged, cook by the method of your choice and serve with melted butter. Per Texas Parks and Wildlife these are the same ones enjoyed in France. LOL!

Sylvia, I have some other crinums that I will bring to the swap trade, good thing Darlene has a trailer.
    Tally HO!

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Yes, & she has a good driver & a really good helper, too!

Tally, thanks *so* *much* for the crinums!

I hope you can use that glassware;
    I had high hopes, but since I'm one of those people who glues her fingers together at every craft class...
    it din't work out so well!

I did manage to make a couple of 3-tiered candy plates, but one of them looks a little tipsy.

I'm sure I can rustle up more glass if you still need/want it for the spring swap.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Sylvia , I am a very well paid professional gluer together of fingers. I slice them apart with a scalpel and go on with my job. Irritating , yes.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz