have: san antonio plant swap (saps) october 12, 2013

Posted by rock_oak_deer 8a TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 15:03

It's time to plan for the San Antonio Plant Swap October 12, 2013 at

Fall 2013 SAN ANTONIO PLANT SWAP -- MARK YOUR CALENDARS
DATE: Saturday October 12, 2013
TIME: 9:00 to noonish

LOCATION: Rogiers Park, 209 Pleasant Dr., Balcones Heights, Texas

Everyone is welcome, especially new gardeners! You don't have to swap plants, bring something to share and you will be rewarded. It's a bit of a walk from the parking to the shelter so bring a wagon or cart if you have one.

See you there!

Post your trades on this thread or our Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAPSwap/

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 11:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have: san antonio plant swap (saps) october 12, 2013

Here's my list of plants I have available, more will be added as we get closer.

Artemesia: ‘Oriental Limelight’
Mint: ‘Kentucky Colonel’
Salvia: Indigo Spires
Fig Ivy/Creeping Fig
Brugmansia ‘Double White
Wedelia Trilobata: You need plenty of room for this aggressive flowering ground cover.
Melinis nerviglumis - Ruby Crystals ornamental grass
Echeverria ruyonii
Gomphrena ‘Little Grapes’
Gomphrena ‘Strawberry Fields’
Conoclinium greggii - Gregg’s Blue Mistflower
Hesperaloe parviflora seedlings
Orange Bulbine

Plants I am looking for

Small, cold hardy agaves
Native Texas plants
Waterwise plants like salvias

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 21:11

o
As swap, 2013 need some help please!!

• Posted by tdhg none (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 19:10

Paul and I went to a swap two times ago and learned so much!!!i was the one who sewed garden aprons and had jewlry etc. total newbie!

We have two major problems. First one is my oldest is getting married April 11 in denton texas. They hope to close on their house soon and have it all there and as cheap as possible. As favors I am growing succulents from leaves. These I found out grow so slow! Really slow. Anyway I would love to trade for as many as I can get.
I will have to see what I have to trade. I know I have things from my store I closed. I have things that make wonderful christmas gifts all new merchandise

horse beach towels, two styles high quality retail for 15.00ea

women's horse knee socks made by the same company as Ralph Lauren's three styles

royal blue crystal wine glasses with horse retail for 20 ea retail

Royal blue crystal bowls with horse on the retail 45

My animal paintings have all sold but I plan on doing some paintings of chickens for a friend and can do serveral at a time but need to know soon.

Hand painted cards in sets of five. Mostly flowers. In packages

If someone quilts or sews I have a lot of fabrics

I will trace pics if someone is interested and can tell where to post and/or send to

My second problem is growing flowers to use in the wedding and as decorations. When I lived up north I could grow a lot of things but can not remember for the life of me when things bloom!! I thought about sending her a bunch of liatris, poppy, and bachelor buttons seeds in the hope they might be blooming. I think freesia comes up early and usually they are pretty cheep in those mail order catalogs. What in earth could I grow here and take up there? I was thinking in pots. I have two smallish ivy indoor plants to use. What what what can I do? What can I grow in a pot here and take in my truck up there that would be blooming? I know I can get some cut flowers if worse comes to worse but every penny counts.

The money is going to the food basically so this leaves little.

I also am growing basil and Swiss chard for a pesto dish. If someone has swiss chard growing skills i would love sime hints on getting them going. i have four plants this spring that i bought as transplants and loved the pesto it made.
Also I am making the wine so if anyone has wine making skills I sure would live to talk to you about it.

o

I remember when you brought the aprons about a year ago or so. Denton is quite a bit cooler than SA but I think wildflowers would be a good idea for the yard.

I've seen weddings where succulents were used for everything. I have collected a lot of interesting succulents in various colors so would be happy to trade some cuttings.

o

I did repost this on the discussions side to get visibility and avoid disrupting this topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Needing input from North Texas gardeners

This post was edited by pkponder on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 5:45

o

Pam, that's a great idea. The question should be over in discussions so those gardeners who know what grows in the N. Texas area can help.

o

So far this is what I have growing in pots to bring. There will be more;

2 red shrimp plants
3 pigeon berry
Tradescantia pallida 'Pink Stripe' cuttings

I'd like to trade for hardy succulents, unusual cacti, pretty agaves, yuccas, dyckias, etc. that I don't already have.

I'll also have seeds for:

Arroya sweetwood tree
Tenaza tree
Green Malibar spinach
Velvet pod mimosa tree
Pride of Barbados
Pink and scarlet pentapete
Fimbriata pipe vine
Love in a puff vine
and others to pass along.

I'll be having an open garden after the swap starting at about 11:30. Ask for a map at the swap.

Also do I owe anybody anything?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tradescantia pallida 'Pink Stripe'

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 20:25

o

Hi Roselee,

I'm in Dallas and am thinking about trying to come to the San Antonio swap. Ya'lls plants sound amazing. Are you interested in sedums. I have many varieties to trade, if so. I would love one of your shrimp plants.

Thanks,

Darlene

o

Wow Darlene, that's a long trip, but we'd dearly love to have you. Maybe you could make a long weekend out of it and visit the Botanical Gardens, Sunken Gardens, the River Walk and other places with plant interest while here.

Yes, I'd love to trade the red shimp plants for some sedums. I'll try to propagate some of my other varieties of shrimps to bring as well.

o

Darlene, we'd very much enjoy meeting you, we do have a fun time. Sedums are a good idea, many of us collect them.

o

I will add to this entry as I pot up plants so keep checking back, it will change slowly. I love that we can edit things now.

I have some cold hardy) Echeveria runyoni "topsy turvy"(one looks like its crested). Sedum palmerii (cold hardy to 0),Graptoveria 'Debbie". Agave parryi coeisi, Agave ferox or Salmiana-ferox, Agave colorata (small).

Lots of chives, arugala, and Russian Tarragon,
Broccoli romanesco , Oriental Stirfry mix seedlings. They are overage.I just took three cuttings of Mayan spinach AKA Chaya ( Cnidosculus chayamansa. It gave me spinach through the hot summer . It must be cooked. Hopefully they will be rooted. Quite tasty.

terrestial burgundy leaved achmea bromeliad relative, Mexican wire grass, Swedish ivy ( Plectranthus vertcillatus), Night blooming jassmine ( Cestrum nocturnum).

opuntia macrohiza, opuntia microdasys, Opuntia 'chenile', Opuntia macrocentra, several other opuntias, Opuntia cacanapa elisiana, O. cochinellifera (nopales), Opuntia monocantha monstrosa, Cylindropuntia embricata, Cylindropuntia whippleii, Cyindropuntia kleiniae,

Dasylirion wheeleri, blackfoot daisy,virginia creeper, agarita, toothache tree.sedum palmeri, Pink Salvia gregii, I will have lots of small graptoveras ( a nice sized G. Debbie , G. bella), pachyveria (blue pearl) , some real fat lavendar leafed suculent babies, huernia zebrina,Kalanchoe luciae (paddle plant) , Pedilanthus macrocarpus. CUTTINGS of crasulla capetella"Campfire".

Aloe deltoideodonta and Aloe deltoideodonta var fallax, A. grandidentata, some other more cold hardy aloes ( a linear striped A. greenii (?).Aloe nobiles, Gasteraloe ( A. aristata parentage) ,nice sized Aloe ferox

Roselee, I am intersted in the aroya sweetwood tree and the velvet pod mimosa. Do you have any Agave bracetosa?

Many of these I will not bring unless asked for, especially the xeric wild collected shrubs like Agarita and toothache tree.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 18:12

o

Mara, you've got this mouth watering. I'd love to have your agave patoniis. I'll bring some A. bracetosas to trade.
Also interested in starts of your succulents, preferably the hardier ones, I haven't yet looked up what you've.. I can bring some aroya sweetwood baby trees and velvet pod mimosa seeds.

o

I sent you an emaile Roselee.

o

LOL. My husband is trying to sneak in a game of golf while I'm at the plant swap, so it's no big deal for us. We love road trips. We drove to Acapulco in 2009!!! We have made many trips to Guanajuato, Mexico in our SUV. I love all the succulents and cacti that ya'll offer at the swaps. Not many people at the swaps up here care for succulents. I will start rooting sedums and potting up anything else I can find. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Darlene

o
Plant Swap

LOL. My husband is trying to sneak in a game of golf while I'm at the plant swap, so it's no big deal for us. We love road trips. We drove to Acapulco in 2009!!! We have made many trips to Guanajuato, Mexico in our SUV. I love all the succulents and cacti that ya'll offer at the swaps. Not many people at the swaps up here care for succulents. I will start rooting sedums and potting up anything else I can find. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Darlene

o

I edited my original lists with some more additions. so check it to see if if your interested. I hope this reduces the confusion of multiple entries and reduces the length that this thread can attain.

o

Hi I am planing on coming this year to the swap, I will bring some cacti do not know the name they are round ball with thorns, some nopal de castilla,redish maroon shrimp plant pride of barbeos seeds and few seedlings,datura seedling-2- ice plant cuttings,seeds for coral shrub, I am looking for carnival-confetty shrimp plant,golden shrimp plant,white shrimp plant seeds or seedling of coral tree,would love a cutting of dble white Brugmansia pretty please, I can bring like 2 plumeria seedling but do not know the color or name. I will look around and see what else to bring Thank Marcie

o

Hi Marcie, Good to hear you can make it this year. I know it's a quite a trip for you. I'll start a double white brug for you.

o

I`ve got some philodendrons rooted, angel trumpets, tecoma, chalice vine, canna, dutchmans pipe vine, coral vine-pink, bromeliads, crinums, hymenocallis sp., red salvia, asst. succuclents, cacti, euphorbia, who knows what else. I`ll be rooting stuff between now and then also. Not to mention whatever I dig up out there.

Garden junk surprise for Patty.

Looking for trees to turn into bonsai-Tx ebony, mesquite, etc., rocks, glassware, blue bottles, etc.

Tally and Jim

o

Found the plant I originally requested here.

Tally, I sent an email about the crinum.

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 23:31

o

Tally, I emailed you but it was returned. I have lots of wild Toothe ache tree. It might make a nice bonsai. It has interesting bark and some thorns . How big? and how many? I would be interested in the Dutchman's pipe vine ( which one is it?) What kind of cacti and succulents. Any trichocereus or echinocereus or echincactus?I am also looking at the crinum. Can't make up my mind.

o

Hey Y'all ! Looking forward to being there again, since I missed the spring swap. Here's what I have right now, but would very much like to swap for your junk, instead of plants. (unless I find something on your list I just gotta have!)

Here are links for two of my Pinterest boards. It will give you an idea of what I am looking for.

http://pinterest.com/castro_gardener/i-love-stuff/

http://pinterest.com/castro_gardener/gardens-and-garden-junk/

pencil cactus
cissus quadrangularis
rhipsalis
donkey ears
burro's tail
ghost plant
jade
mother of millions
sanseverias
staplia
huernia
agave americana
spider plants
artillery fern
pregnant onion
columbine
fruit cocktail shrimp plant
crinum
chocolate chip ajuga
amaryllis
clitoria blue pea vine
mexican flame vine
white hyacinth bean vine
cuban oregano plectranthus
Vick's plant plectranthus
antique roses
coreopsis
dwarf coreopsis
variegated vinca major
gold dust croton
cat whiskers
salvias
moses in a boat
old man's pipe
turk's cap
bilbergia/bromeliad
manfreda variegata
haworthia
aloes
agaves
yuccas
firespike
sedums
golden rain tree
Kentucky colonel mint
impatiens
red banana
datura
Louisiana iris
chives
begonia
canna
dorstenia
chocolate plant
jatropha
ruellia (mexican petunia) 4 kinds
scabiosa pincushion flower
red yucca
night blooming cereus
large rubber tree
large corn plant
dykia
flame acanthus
Please please please.... I have too many plants so really don't want any in return. What I would like is JUNK! I am looking for just about anything that is old, rusty, junky, and thrown into the shed/barn/back room. Small to large. Furniture hardware, ladders, casters, pails, tubs, metal stuff, iron stuff, rusty stuff. Large things, too. Tables, chairs, stools, racks. No matter what condition, ask me. If I can't give you enough plants to make it worth a big item, I could pay you something, too.

I'm open to just about anything. Don't be shy ! Email me privately if you'd like at

soriano471@sbcglobal.net

patty

DARLENE: I know we're kinda far for you to drive. There is a swap up in your neck of the woods, too.

MARA: I have lost my email addresses to a computer that quit working. Please email me. There are some things on your list I might be interested in.

TALLY: Same thing as Mara -- please email me as I haven't the capability to get to my addresses. You always have some cool stuff for me ! What is the crinum/hymenocallis in the picture above ? It's gorgeous ! Ya got any extra ? What type of glassware are you looking for ? I have noticed some baby mesquites coming up in the yard. I can try to transplant them into pots if you'd like to try.

o

Have:
Mme Antoine Carriere (climbing bourbon) rose plant, well rooted from cutting from last plant swap, have one extra.
Chrysanthemum (yellow and white) - I can root them as needed.
Dietes or a type of grass
Seeds - okra, Malabar Spinach, cantaloupe, honeydew melon

Want - rooted cuttings if possible:
Flores Street House Eater - Lamarque - white Rose - no luck with cuttings from last swap, very disappointed.
Double knockout red rose
Orange rose
Star Jasmine
Sambac Jasmine
Straberry
Grape fruit
Fuyu Persimmon (Japanese)

o

I have pecans from my pecan tree. Would anyone be interested in trading plants for pecans?

adding 2 more items to my wants list posted above:
rooted fig cuttings and yellow rose.

o

Oh my! I have just stumbled across this site today...I had never heard of a plant swap...I have been gardening for several years but consider myself to be a newbie. ..my mind is whirling trying to think of what I could share....my husband may faint if I bring home more plants. ..I'm in East Texas and would love to attend if I could fit this into an off weekend...when you bring plants how is it best to bring...cuttings. ..small potted plants...seeds?...I dont yhink I have unusual plants. ..some I don't know the names of.

o

You are welcomed to come . There are also Plantswaps that occur in Dallas and Houston and Galveston South Austin. I am unsure if the ones in Houston and Galveston happen once or twice a year. One could put a query in the discussions board asking if any one knows of plants swaps more convenient to your area. I don't know if the announcement is as long or as evedent as the SAN AN one is here. There are a passel of swaps. Mostly Spring and fall.

o

We would love to have you visit and welcome whatever you choose to bring, luv2bamoma1. Swaps are a great idea and so fun for learning about plants, especially if you are new to gardening.

There is a plant swap at Mercer near Houston at least once a year and most of the time I think it is posted here so you you might look for that too.

o

Hi! I am new, but would like to go to the plant swap. I have a lot of blue agave, devil's rope cactus cuttings (not rooted but easy to root) and prickly pear cactus.

I have some seeds and a lot of dried Thai peppers that can be used for seeds as well as food.

I make jewelry and hair sticks as well.

What we really like are different succulents, strongly scented roses, jasmines, native hibiscus, pride of Barbados, and edible plants. looking for a lime tree (small), and various fruits and vegetables.

thank you!

o

Hi Chris, welcome and we look forward to meeting you at the swap!

I have quite a few succulents so will bring some that might be a bit different for you.

o

that is Crinum Asiactum, probably Queen Emma. She`s a huge beast, taller than me or Jim. Barb brought me some bulbs of it in the spring which are planted in the same area as this one.
I probably have pups and will bring them.

The Mercer Swap in North Houston is the first weekend in October. come join us, we have a lot of fun, great food and the park is really nice.

Toothache tree and mesquite are perfect. Also if anyone has Eve`s necklace, seeds or plants interested in those.

Patti, I have plants on the fences, in the alley, on poles, in trees, every window, the roof of the porch, the neighbors....Jim keeps telling me there is no room, but there are still a few weeds so obviously there is room for more.

Mara, it`s the little, native Dutchman`s pipe, host plant. No telling what I`ll dig up out there.
Tally HO!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plantmeet.com

o

Hi Patty,

I do attend the plants swaps in Ft. Worth and Denton. I'm just looking forward to a road trip and meeting new people that I read about on Gardenweb all the time :)

Looking forward to the swap.

Darlene

o

Hi Patty,

I do attend the plants swaps in Ft. Worth and Denton. I'm just looking forward to a road trip and meeting new people that I read about on Gardenweb all the time :)

Looking forward to the swap.

Darlene

o

Wantonamara, I sent you an email on some of the plants I am interested in trading for. Once I have that settled I will post what I have for trade here as well as my wants! Looking forward to this falls swap!

o

Ms Br Th., I did not get your email. My email program ate everything and threw out ALL my saved emails. So send again. Rose. Can you send a message with what you asked for. I think I have most in my memory but please give me your view. Same with you Patty.

o

Wantonamara, I sent another email...hope it finds you this time!

o

Wantonamara, I sent another email...hope it finds you this time!

o

Tally the crinum I gave you is the giant red leaf crinum, it has a redish leaf. Its quite rare. Mine are all over 5 ft tall. They need room to grow. I am taking care of your Raspberry Sundae Plumeria, no blooms yet, she is doing great. Barbra

o

Hi Barbara, The Meyer Improved Lemon rooted cutting you gave is doing great. But, the Flores Street house eater rose cuttings did not root. Do you have any rooted cutting to trade with pecans?

o

Hello everyone!!

I have never been to a plant swap but am very excited about this! I have been following Shirley's blog for awhile and am working on a blog of my own.

I recently moved so I don't have too much, and I will update tomorrow after I go raid my old gardens at my parents' house. :-)

I especially love natives and edibles.

I am 99% sure the Eve's Necklace has ripe seed pods on it, Tally, so I will bring some of those for you.

And Patty, I will email you some pictures of some real quality junk! :-)

o

Hi Ruthie! We look forward to seeing you at the swap. I'd love some Eve's necklace seeds too if you have extras.

o
To: VeganRuthie

VeganRuthie -- thanks SO much for being willing to trade your stuff for my plants ! So far I don't have very many takers. I've been swapping for more than 15 years, sometimes 4 swaps a year, and I really just have too many plants. I just needed to do something different. I have many plants to give away, but really didn't need any in return. But since I love neat old stuff, I thought that might be something I could do. Please email me directly and we can talk about what you have. I was going to email you, but I noticed that you do not have your email listed under your "My Page" preferences. write me at soriano471@sbcglobal.net

Anyone else interested ? Please email me. There are many things which I would trade for, not just the few items I listed above. Let me know what you have and maybe we can make a trade. I am also looking for beads, or old jewelry, broken jewelry....not enough room here to list everything I'd actually take. Be creative ! I need to give some plants away !

patty

o
To: VeganRuthie

duplicate - removed

This post was edited by castro_gardener on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 21:16

o

We just bought the barren lot behind our house so i have MANY wants and alot of need ( cant spend too much on it since we are fixing the dilapidated house...sad)

Shirley, please look below to see if you would like anything, I am interested in your limelight artemesia if you still have that available.

Mara and Patty we are set on our trade..thank you so much!

Wants

Any small agaves or manfredas
Oxblood lilies
Gopher plant
Day lilies
Dwarf pomegranate
Reg pomegranate
Aloe with yellow bloom
White plumango
GERMAN RED CARNATION (Dianthus carophyllus
Mulberry tree
Purple basil
pink skullcap
santolina
cilantro

Trade for pretty much anything �"

Henry duelberg salvia
Augusta duelberg salvia
Diamond Frost® Euphorbia graminea
Trumpet vine
Queens wreath vine
thai basil
genovese basil

What I can dig up for one of my wants or if you just have been DYING for one

Mexican tarragon seedling
Small clumping aloe
Hosta
bulbine
red geranium
pineapple sage
purple fountain gross - small division

This post was edited by ms_brown_thumb on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 18:55

o

Hi Alma, I'll bring the artemesia to the swap for you. I have several other things on your wants list. I'll check and see which ones might be ready for swapping.

I'd like Variegated Abutilon.

o

Thanks SHirley! Also please feel free to keep tabs on my list, i am not the most organized of gardeners and always forget what i have...i have already edited my list with more haves and wants.... Not to get ready for the UTSA game...Goooooo Roadrunners!!

o

Ms. Brown Thumb

I am interested in your grapefruit mint, dyckia, lemon grass, manfreda maculosa, and yellow milkweed.

From your list I have the following:

Mums, penstemon (not sure of the name), agaves, coneflower, and artemesia oriental limelight.

Thanks.

Darlene

o

Hi Darlene,

Sure thing! I no longer need the artemesia oriental light nor the penstemon, but would be interested in the mum coneflower and agaves! For the agaves,if they could be less than 4 ft at maturity, that would be great since I have an urban yard and cant have anything too big...perfect size is 1-3 ft. If its bigger,perhaps you can save it for someone else! The grapefruit mint is a cutting im trying to get root, so no promises but the rest we are good to go! I will set aside for you. Hope to see you soon!

o

Gardenlover, I will take cuttings today and try to get them started for you in miracle grow soil. Tally, I brought the Raspberry Sundae back from the coast, had to put it in a larger pot. It really liked growing at the coast. Barbra

o

Thanks Barbara.

o

thanks Barb!

I don`t really have a list. Like Patty I have waaaaayyyyy too many plants. So I am filling up the rented SUV to the max and when you move from your table I am sticking plants under it. BWAHAHAHAHA! Rocks are always, always welcome as are any old plates/bowls/glasses/vases/teapots for garden totems and plate flowers. Oh, and old Barbie type dolls, I`m still on the mermaid kick. got a Ken the other day and he`s going to be my first merman.

I do have some Pride of Barbados seedlings I will bring, whatever crinums are in pots and the ones I dig up, some chalice vine cuttings that are rooted, asst. cacti/succulents/agave, ginger, asst cuttings and whatever else I round up out there. The jungle is REALLY happy right now and a machete would not be out of place.

Garden junk for Patty, something with a coastal theme of course and several door prizes.
See ya`ll in a couple of weeks.
Tally and Jim

o

Hi everybody! Sorry I am a little late to the party...

I plan on being there and I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some new folks!

So far, this is what I have POTTED that I can bring:
Lantana (pink and yellow blooms)
Bleeding heart vine (red and purple blooms)
Primrose Jasmine
pink firespike

I can also bring CUTTINGS of:
Red TX Star hibiscus
duranta "sapphire showers"
pink trumpet vine
salvia leucantha
pink carpet rose

CUTTINGS added 10/6:
Martha Gonzales rose
Firecracker Plant, Russelia equisetiformis
Heritage rose
St. Jude the Obscure rose
salvia "limelight"
salvia "hotlips"
salvia greggii "wild thing"
salvia "chiquita"
cape honeysuckle
stevia
sweet basil
oregano

Please be sure to let me know if you want something as I may not bring it at all, if not requested.

I will be looking to see what else I can add to my list...

If y'all have some of these left, may I have the following?

Tally: coral vine

Mrs Brown Thumb: Queen's wreath

(I removed the requests that have already been confirmed...)

I have started moving some plants to our new place and sadly lost several day lilies, a pomegranate, creeping thyme, society garlic and bearded irises. If anyone has some of these to spare, it would do my heart good!

As I see more things I can add to my list, I will update this posting and let you know I have done so.

Tonya

This post was edited by nbtonya on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 18:33

o

So glad to hear from you Tonya and to know you will be there.

I'll have the artemesia and ruby crystals grass for you at the swap.

I'd like a bleeding heart vine please.

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 23:21

o

Tonya- glad you'll be there. I have a couple society garlics left over from the spring swap. I'll bring them for you. I' m good on plants for now. See you there.

Lisa

o

Thanks Shirley, will have the bh vine for you!

Thanks Lisa, look forward to seeing you!

Tally, would love one of those pride of barbados seedlings! ( and I will be watching you as you try to sneak plants under my table!!)

Tonya

o
Chris.... and Darlene...

Chris and Darlene,
Do either of you find anything on my list that you'd like ?

Chris, is there any chance you could send me pictures of the jewelry you would like to trade ? Maybe we could trade for a rose.

please email me at soriano471@sbcglobal.net

patty

o

Tonya, you got it, I`ll bring you seeds of the coral vine, it will start to go dormant soon so won`t really have time to establish. It grows like weeds from the seeds.
Jim is going to provide the distractions so I can sneak the plants under there.
Tally HO!

o

Hi Patty,

You have a lot of plants that I'm interested in :) Here is my list:

Red Banana (my son would love this)
Cissus quadrangularis
Ghost Plant
Fruit Cocktail Shrimp Plant
Cuban Oregano
Manfreda Variegata

Cuttings would be fine also. Please bring what you think is appropriate for what I'm offering.

I have some old jewely. Is costume jewelry ok? I also have an old cylindrical feeder of some sort that's been laying in the yard for years. I got it at First Monday Canton. It would make a good hanging plant holder, but I haven't done anything with it. I might be able to find something else also. I'm also going to bring a tub with assorted "stuff" in it in case I don't have anything that people might be interested in. Nothing fancy, just stuff.

Tally, my husband is bringing his trailer. So feel free to load it up. LOL. He doesn't want plants in his new Tahoe and I don't want to drive my truck because it would be too uncomfortable for all three of us. We plan on leaving at 3:00 in the morning and I want my son to be able to sleep a little before we get there.

Looking forward to the 12th!!! I will post my list in just a few minutes.

Thanks,

Darlene

o

Ok, here is a list of my meager offerings:

Castor Bean (red)
Amaranthus (blondish/yellow blooms)
Rat Tail Cactus (cuttings)
Assorted cactus pads
Rock Rose (pink)
Sedums: Autumn Delight, Xenox, Rainbow Xenox, Takesimense, Aizoon, Blue Spruce (possibly more)
Horsetail Rush
Mexican Petunias (Pink and Tall)
Manfreda Macho Mocha
Vicks Plant (small barely rooted)
Kalanchoe Aurora Borealis
Clara Curtis Daisy
Salvia Nuevo Leon
Salvia Coral Nymph
Variegated Candelabra (small)
Jewels of Opar (lemon lime color)
Jewels of Opar (green)
Rootbeer Plant
Lemon Balm
Penstemon (red, I believe)
Pineapple Mint
Ornamental Peanut
Peanut Plant (cuttings if I can't get roots)
Christmas Cactus
Tapioca seedlings (2)
Persicaria capitata
Penstemon (white bloom)
Penstemon "Prairie Dusk"
Perilla (Green)
Skullcap (Blue)
Artemesia "Oriental Limelight"
Watch Chain plant
Chinese Ginger

I'm interested in cactus, succulents, etc. Pretty much anything.

That's all that I can think of at the moment. I know I'm probably leaving something out.

Does anyone like Halloween stuff? I love Halloween!
I will also have assorted Halloween, garden, and miscellaneous stuff to trade.

Thanks,

Darlene

This post was edited by dcarpenter on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 12:25

o

Hi Darlene,

I am also interested in the following plants you have.

Salvia Nuevo Leon
Rock Rose (pink)
Kalanchoe Aurora Borealis
Xenox, Rainbow Xenox, Takesimense, ( cuttings ok!)
pineapple mint

Let me know if thats doable. Better get back to work now...work is always getting in the way of my gardening...its like they think they pay me or its my job or something... :-P

ANybody else have that problem?

Thank you!

Alma

o

Hi Tonya.

Yes I can cut up and dig out a piece of my purple fountain grass...I need to move it anyway. :)

If anyone ever posts and i dont respond, email me, because I probably didnt see the post..i almost missed Tonyas.

o
Darlene

Darlene,
is there any chance you can email me personally ? Could you take pictures of the jewelry ? That's one of the few things that I can't determine without a picture. May also be interested in your sedums. Thank you !!

patty

o

Patty,

I will have to email you tomorrow if that's ok. Getting ready to leave work to take my son to the dentist. Also need to get the jewely together for pictures.

Thanks,

Darlene

o

Swap attendees are cordially invited to an open garden (mine) after the swap. I'm thinking about starting at 11:30 or so since we're usually done swapping by 11. There will be soft drinks, dips and chips, cookies etc. offered to help fuel our gardening war stories.

We had so much fun last time . I hope you'll join us. I'll have the address and maps at the swap. You can enter by either side gate. Just close it so any wandering turtles won't get out. See you there -- and here!

o

Hello all the green, colorful and brown thumbs of saps alike,
Not sure if Mike and I would be able to make it this time but would really love to drop by and say hello to all. 99 percent of the plants we got from previous swaps are doing good.
I have some edible thornless fig cactus pad cuttings to give away.
4 aloe Vera pups ( edible kind)
2 aloe pink blush pups , orange bloom
6 agave giant pups...., this thing is huge, good for center piece
And
2 fuzzy opuntias pups, I don't know what variety if anyone would help me identify I put the picture here. This is the mother plant and she looks like she is begging to be picked up. Pick me pick me!
I also have two 6 month old baby guavas, white blooms and very sweet white flesh fruits, will start fruiting in two years time.

Ms brown thumb, can I have your thai basil please?

Roselee, can I have one of your fountain grass please. The one I got last time is dead. Lol I managed to kill a xeris grass. How about that?

Gardenlover Anu, we have some double knockout roses cuttings but I have been debating with Mike about roses patent rights because the company that owns the patent managed to take some people to court for patent infringement recently. So I guess we won't be rooting this particular rose any time soon.

See you guys...hopefully.
Hmmmm I can taste Lisa's chocolate muffins already.

o

HI Mamachile,

Sure! I actually have a pretty decent sized one I can dig out for you. Its blocking the walkway anyway ( it self seeded itself). I would be interested in your guava seedling if that would be possible. Thanks!

Alma Delia

o

Ok Alma, one guava for you. Thank you for the thai basil.

o

Message Double posted

This post was edited by mamachile on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 16:15

o

Mamachile, That is not a opuntia that is in the picture, (I do not think ) but I would like to trade for it....Anything on my list that you would like??

This post was edited by wantonamara on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 18:03

o

Mamachile, I'll have the grass for you and trade for the other fuzzy 'cactus' pup.

o

Ok, I am going down next week and will dig up some more Mexican flame vine, if anyone wants them. I just gave the 24 I had to my neighbor who put them across her entire backyard. Does anyone want palm trees? Tonya, you are in luck, a branch of one of the plumeria broke off in a storm, and I stuck in the ground, I will bring it for you. I will bring some plants from my yard for the swap to share with everyone, nothing new, same of stuff. . Barbra

o

Mamachile- I was thinking of something Apple cinnamon this time since it's the fall ;-). Hope you guys can make it.

Lisa

o

Mamachile, that's great that you can stop by at least for a little bit.

I'd love the Thornless Fig cactus pad and a guava please.

o

Mara, Thanks for clarifying that fuzzy cactus is not a opuntia. lol, yes you can have one pup and Roselee can have the other. I'll take one of your chives Mara.
Shirley, the cactus pads are yours and the other guava.
Lisa, Apple cinnamon sounds yummy.

This post was edited by mamachile on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 21:55

o

Honeybunny,

I would be interested in some of your Mexican Flame Vine and possibly a palm. Is there anything from my list that interests you. I'm also working on getting a basket full of goodies to dig through if nothing on my list interests you. Thanks.

Darlene

o

Honeybunny 2. I would also be interested in a Mexican flame vine, if you have anymore to spare. Let me know if I have anything that may interest you.

o

I can get all the Mexican flame vine you want. Just let me know how many you want. I will only dig up what someone wants. Also how many palm trees.? I think they are Queen Palm trees, since that is all I have in my yard. After I go next weekend, I can post what iI have. I had eye surgery day before yesterday, so we did not go down this weekend. Barbra

o

Does anyone want some pots ?

shoot me an email

patty
soriano471@sbcglobal.nert

o

We're looking forward to the swap meet.
Have: I'll have some clumps of African Iris (Dietes iridioides), Gomphrena Fireworks seedlings, Pink Salvias, assorted smaller plants.

Patty, would you be interested in some brass colored aluminum strips?

Wanted: Artemesia, succulents, and Dutchman's pipe vine.

This post was edited by sunnysa on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 18:20

o

I added some cuttings I can bring to my list above...

o

Honeybunny,

If you have a substantial amount of mexican flame vine, I would like 3, if at all possible.

Sunnysa,

I would be interested in a clump of your irises. I have an assortment of succulents I could trade you for a clump. Is there any color or an attribute of succulents that you are looking for? Feel free to email me, zacatecas79@yahoo.com, if you have any pics of what you are looking for.

o

Alma - I'd like some of your Pineapple Sage please.

o

Ms. Brown thumb, I'll put your name on a clump of the African Irises.

We're somewhat new gardeners so we don't have any particular preference. The squirrels tore through our newly planted succulent garden, so we would like something that would do well outdoors. We like any type of succulent, except the real thorny ones. :-)

o

Shirley,

I will put the pineapple sage in your pile. I just dug up my plant and moved it, and a..i dont know what they are called..pups? full grown seedlings...whatever, fell out., I put it in a pot..so if it lives ( its pretty big) it is all yours.

SunnySA, I will be sure to bring you something cold hardy and pretty!

o

Just got back from the doctors, I have to have my stiches in until Friday afternoon, but will be able to drive. I will look like a raccoon at the swap. We are going down to the coast on Wednesday, I will dig up the Mexican flame vines on Thrusday, and take to the swap Saturday. They will have great roots. I should have plenty to go around. I will also bring back the palm tree. Ms Brown, do you have an extra pineapple sage, would like to try it in my herb garden, I love to try different herbs. Barbra

o

All speedy recovery on your surgery Barbra. Drive safely.

Ms Brown, Alma, I have some dianthus with red blooms cuttings that I'm trying to root for you. I am not sure the variety.

Anyone interested in common sage herb to let me know I can dig it out.

o

Gardenlover, I cut the cuttings from the Flores Street Eater, and put them into the soil. That is how I root them. I am afraid if I take them out of the soil, they will not live. I can bring you fresh cuttings, you can try again. If your cuttings do not make it, and mine do, I will bring them to the April swap, for you. Somone went into my back yard, when I was out of town, and cut 3 stems coming out of the ground to the base of the plant. They cut them so low, you can see the top of the roots, I don't think they will come back. The rose only has one stem left, but it is 3 inches thick. I don't know why they just didn't ask, I would have given them all the cuttings they wanted. Maybe its easier to root from the base of the plant or something like that. They hauled off so much, I can't believe one of the neighbors didn't notice. I guess they thought it was our yard man. I think that is how I lost my midnight lily of the nile. I had a hugh clump in the flowerbed for years, then it was gone. One thing they had in common, is you could see them from the front yard, if you were walking by. Barbra

o

My husband will drive me down on Weds, so I can dig up plants to bring to the swap. I will try and bring different plants than what others have listed. I have a cactus that I will bring, it was given to me, but I don't want it.
Tally, would you please bring me a chalice vine, for some reason I have not been able to grow one, maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong. Shirley I would love the little grape and strawberry gomphrene. Darlene if you have any pineapple mint left, I would like to have some. Alma I would love a pineapple sage if you still have some. Also, I have just had to cut hugh limbs off my peach brugmansia. they broke off my tree, due to the weight of the blooms. These are thick multi stems, if anyone is interested. I have them sitting in water, I am in the process of cutting off the blooms right now. If anyone is in San Antonio and would like these cuttings, now, I will give you my address to come by to get them. The mother tree has hundreds of blooms on it right now, they smell like honey. The blooms are about 10 inches long.
I am bring Darlene 1 Mexican flame vines, and a palm tree, Alma I am bring you 3 Mexican flame vines, Tonya, I am bringing you 1 mexcian flame vine and rooted plumera. Let me know if I forgot something. Barbra

o

Barbara: Wish you a speedy recovery. I am sorry that they took the rose branches when you were out. Please bring the cuttings only if you have enough of the plant left for yourself, otherwise I can wait until the next swap.

o

Gardenlover, they actually did me a favor, it was entirely too big, it was eating the entire side of the yard, The fence was covered with this rose. The stem I have left is at least 4 inches thick, like a tree. They would have had to bring a chain saw to cut that one. I will try and root this for you, but I think you will have better luck rooting roses this time of the year. I will bring fresh cuttings the day of the swap for you. I have 2 in a pot on my back porch, that I will try and root for you, if they root before April, I will let you know. Barbra

o

Barbra, you are amazing to try to make it to the swap after all that is going on. I do hope you feel well enough.

I will bring two gomphrenas for you. The little grapes will be dug this week and the other one is well-rooted.

o

Thank you Shirley, my mother called them bachelor buttons when I was a little girl, they remind me of her. Hey, I look great the swelling is down, I can see. Still have to do hot packs 3 times a day until Friday. I just look like I was in a fight and lost. Barbra

o

Barbra, sorry to hear about your plants being chopped. Do you think they will come back for more. You wanna install a webcam and post it online to shame them. Now they have those neat apps that notify you when your property being burgled via smart phone.

o

Well I don't have that much here in San Antonio, just a few brugmansia, coneflowers, and roses. My plant stash is in Rockport being guarded by hummingbirds, and nosy neighbors. I can't wait to go down on Wednesday, I will take pictures to show at the plant swap on Saturday. Barbra

o

Barbra,

I actually do have one last pineapple sage..it made 2 offsets. I am glad I can offer you something for the Mexican flame vine!

MamaChile,

Thank you so much! Even if it doesnt quite root yet, if it still looks alive, bring it! I can try and finish rooting it. :) See you ladies on Sat!

-Alma Delia

o

Heloo everybody this list is so interesting so many goodys my goodness!! I have few other plants to bring and I am wondering if anybody has a vine that my mom used to call butterfly vine it blooms yellow-greenish and the blooms look like a buterfly I do not know the botanical name I am hoppping someone has a rooted cutting or seedling .
Barbara do you happen to have a cutting from your raspberry plumeria? also do you happen to have any seedlings or seeds of the tree called erythrina? coral tree? is there anything I can offer you in exchange?
Patty Castro I would like to have if you happen to have any left cocktail shrimp I can bring you a galvanized wire basket.
I would love a guava seedling or plant if any left pretty please?
Thank you all for reading Marcie

o

Honeybunny,

I will be happy to bring you pineapple mint. Thank you so much.

Darlene

o

I have a question. I've noticed that people have been editing their posts. How do I do that? Thanks!

Darlene

o

Darlene, to edit a post look in the upper right hand corner of your post and in small letters you will see " NEW. Edit Post". Click it to edit.

o

Roselee,

Thank you! Duh! I didn't even see it and I was looking right at it.

Darlene

o

Marcie, the raspberry sundae plumeria I am taking to the swap, I bought in July for Tally, she was not able to go to the Plumeria sale. I located a seller, who had some. I prepaid to be sure that we got them. Last year I went to the sale to buy one ,they were sold out before I even got thru the door. Since they are small one gallon plants, it will be years before they are large enough to take cuttings.The coral tree you mentioned grows wild in Rockport, and Aransas Pass. You see them in the undeveloped fields when you drive down. I have one next door to me, at the back of the states property.The only way you can get to it is to jump over the 5 ft chain link fence. The only way I can get to it is if a hurricane blows down the fence. It would have to be in bloom, or I would never find it in all the underbrush. Barbra

o

I'm thinking of going--never been & don't know how it works. I have some old roses--Mme. Laurette Messime, a few Ragged Robins, Pink Favorite, Caldwell Pink, a nice La Marne, some common stuff like horse herb, mealy sage, lots of stuff I could dig but don't know if it's too late.

Also have tons of pots--2"-2 gallons. So just HOW far is it to haul stuff? I can bring a little red wagon. Thanks for any tips.

o
Swap Etiquette

Because Bluegirl mentioned that she does not know how this works, I have copied the post from past swaps. Hopefully it will help others, as well.

To help newbies get a better idea of how this works, and to remind others that we like to play nice, I try to get some "rules" out there for everyone to review. They help us all have a relaxing, good time.
After nearly 15 years of hostessing and attending these swaps I've learned a lot from others. This is especially helpful to newbies who have told me often that they were confused with the way things were done at the swap. Hopefully, this will help them a little.

When you arrive, please seek out a hostess if we don't greet you first. Especially if you haven't been before. Any of us will be happy to help you with any questions you might have. Get a name tag, sign up for door prizes, and if we have one, sign the list for future notifications of swaps.

Don't forget to bring a sack lunch. We'll need sustenance for continued swapping ! Some swaps have a potluck lunch, and there are some who bring things to share with others, but bring something for yourself just in case. Cold drinks are sometimes provided, but please don't count on this.

We will usually have door prizes. If you'd like to donate to our stash, please bring a new or gently used gardening item. We usually include things like fertilizer, gloves, tools, outdoor decorations, books, etc.

Garden Junk and Garden Art is also welcome for trading. Hoses, trellises, rusty buckets, signs, you name it ! We've had people bring homemade soap, mosaic pots, and other great items.

In the past, we welcomed your donations to help pay for the rental of a park pavilion. We are happy that this new location costs nothing (for now). If you ever attend a swap that asks for donations please drop a few dollars in the jar to help cover the cost -- which is usually covered out of the pocket of the hostess. Please consider that you're leaving the swap with plants that would have cost so much more at a nursery. A little money in the jar will go far to help these great swaps continue.

You may want to bring cardboard boxes to haul home your booty. You may end up taking home more than you bring, and it's not always easy to get it all back in your car. Packing in boxes will allow you to stack them and keep your plants safe.

Bring something to use for labeling the plants you receive. Old window blinds are excellent for this purpose ! They last forever and they're kept out of landfills.

On that note, please label your plants for others. It saves a lot of time at the swap. You don't have to tell everyone what each plant is, since they already have names on them.

Another helpful hint, which takes more time, but is great to have: consider putting a notebook together of your plants. Add pictures and descriptions of each plant you bring. Over time, you can add to it as you accumulate different types of plants. This also saves time at the swap. Others can view your notebook to see what a certain plant will look like.

There are usually not enough tables for everyone at the pavilion, so please consider bringing small tables to use to set your plants on.

While swapping, please do not take plants off another person's table without asking. They may be across the room promising that same plant to someone else. Please find the owner and ask permission. Everyone's different, of course, and may bid you take whatever you like. But it's good to err on the side of caution, and ask anyway. It's a good idea for all of us to put our name on our table so that everyone knows who to find when they see a plant they'd like.

Plants usually placed under the tables are not for swapping. This is where we place the plants we're taking home.

Some plants are special or rare and the swapper may want something special in return. This is understandable. On the other hand, some of us don't always need something in return. Please consider everyone's feelings while swapping.

You may notice above and below this post that people are talking about the plants they have. If you are new to this and wonder what's going on, this is what we call pre-arranged swapping. You can list what you have and others can either post here what they would like from your list or they can contact you by email (if you make sure you add your email to your preferences). You can check their lists to see if you'd like to make a swap. Keep track of each swap and bring the plants to the event for that person, and they will bring what you liked from their list. This is not necessary, of course. You can just bring your plants to the swap and trade in person. But if you pre-arrange swaps, it's kind of like reserving a plant that you really want. If you wait until the swap, someone else may get it before you do. And that can be a bummer !

Last but not least, have a good time. Make new friends ! I've met really great folks at the swaps and we're still swapping many years later !!

Patty

o

Bluegirl, please do make plans to attend the swap and bring whatever you have. We'd enjoy meeting you and you will learn so much about gardening in San Antonio. Items for the door prize table are always welcomed.

I have attached a link with photos of the location for those of you who are new. I'd say it's about 50 yds. or so. Not too far but it's especially tiresome carrying your stuff back to the car when the swap ends.

Patty thanks for posting the swap "rules". All of us can use a reminder ahead of time.

It looks like we will have more attendees this time so extra tables will be needed if you have them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous swap thread with photos

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 21:52

o

Our plant swap is wonderful! You just need to show up. We are all seasoned gardeners, wanting to share our plants.

o

THANKS! for all the helpful info. Sounds like a lot of fun :-)

o

Is anyone interested in trading a garden junkie - rain water storage container, I have been looking for one.

o

Hello all, I'm still new to Gardenweb but I've wanted to attend a swap for what seems like FOREVER! (LOL) Unfortunately, I live in Waco so its a bit of a drive, but my husband and I have 6 young kiddos (9 &under) and care for my mother, Uncle (has Downs Syndrome) and grandmother that live with us. Because we are the sole care providers it makes trips very difficult if not impossible. I've been working very hard this yr to get a rose garden going for grandma, and its coming along pretty well. My kids and I started a few small perennial gardens around our property and I'd love to add whatever I can. I dont have much but would love to trade ! Im happy to pay shipping both ways if necessary. Thank you all for listening!
♥Lyna

Have list :
Red shrimp plant, & Fruit cocktail shrimp plant
Bleeding heart Vine white and red & purple and red
rooted gardenia
rooted lemon ( meyer)
Rooted figs
oxblood lily
spider lily
crinum lily
rooted plumeria
double purple datura
snail vine (fragrant)
Canna (tall &some mini's)
Gompherina purple , orange and red
Pride of Barbados seedlings several
Jasmine vine cuttings

Want list:
Dutchmans pipe vine (any variety)
Cleodendrum bungeii
love in a mist seeds
rose cuttings (rooted if possible, I can root everything but roses arrg! Lol)
Mrs Dudley Cross &Rosette Delizy rose (some of grandmas fav's among others)are two I still haven't been able to get ahold of
Anything u dont want I'll be happy to give a home;)

o

Hello, this is Sylvia from DFW-

I've been 'doing' the Ft Worth Swap for years, have read about your wonderful swap for years but never could get there, and...
still can't.

but the very kind dcarpenter (Darlene) has offered to take my stuff to your swap.

so...if it isn't too late, here are some things I'd love to swap:

Tally,
I have tons of cobalt blue 'partyware' glassware that's been sitting idle for a number of years, plates, cups, saucers, bowls, dessert plates, plus other glassware, mostly from estate sales & thrift shops that I got when I had ambitions of doing garden totems myself.
I also have most of a set of clear glass partyware.
I can get pics tonight & send to you.

I'd love to have any of your crinums,
hymenocallis, Crinum Asiaticum.

Garden Lover,
have an orange & yellow striped rose, no cuttings yet, & it isn't a big plant, looks like it might be a floribunda or similar, but I'll be happy to take as many cuttings as I can.

I also have a Martha Gonzales rose in a pot.

I would love Mme Carriere if she's available & if you feel the trade would be equable, or maybe just some of your pecans.

roselee
I have some beautiful lavender-flowering sedum;
the plant itself resembles Autumn Joy, but the flowers are pale lavender, & it's in bloom now.
It's very hardy.
& I don't know if you'd want it, you may have similar things where you live, but there's some kind of small, sprawling-ish succulent growing in an area that has rock-hard alkaline clay & that has been mown & nothing else for the last 56 years that I know of.
It's little, but it's tough.

If you still have a shrimp plant that will survive outdoors in zone 8a, I'd love to have one.

sunnysa

I have lavender sedum & a wild succulent (see my message to roselee just above).

I also have an artemesia, but you may or may not have a place for it.
It's a totally rampant monster.
It grows about 5' tall on the side of the road in gravelly, dry, alkaline clay, & it spreads like gossip.
Once it starts to flopping over, you can cut it back hard & it starts all over again.
It dies to the ground in winter here.

I'd love some African irises & plant labels if still available.

Patty/castrogardener,
I have junk!
& old jewelry!
more jewelry than junk, I've only found 1 extremely heavy teakettle & something that I don't know what it is...
I'll take photos tonight & send to you.

Depending on how much of this stuff you like or want or can use, I'd like some of your amaryllis, pineapple sage, & antique roses.

nbtonya
I can send you some irises;
I call them "Melanie's Purple" iris.
haven't seen it bloom yet, but Melanie says that people stop their cars to take pictures when it's in bloom.

I also have some daylilies, probably the old-fashioned orange Kwanzos, but they have their virtues (they cannot be killed, & the only things that'll keep them from blooming are shade & drought.)

wantonamara
I dont know what I can give you, but my "haves" are below.
If we can work it out, I'd like some of your jonquils if they're not spoken for.

alwayzbgrateful,
I can send you some Melanie's Purple irises (see my post to nbtonya above), a pot of liriope, vinca vine for shade (dies back in winter here but indestructible if you water it during our droughts & it grows under trees where nothing else will survive), & please look at my "haves" below.
If your shrimp plants are hardy outdoors in zone 8A, I'd like red and/or fruit cocktail.
I'd love, love, love a gardenia if available.
& here are my 'haves':

dwarf cannas, about 3' tall, bright yellow with orange throat.

cannas about 4' or so tall, lemon yellow.

lavender sedum, looks a lot like Autumn Joy but pale lavender, blooming now, dies back in winter, re-emerges in spring.

Mother of Millions. several!

lemon mint. makes you smile to smell it, & I've had it to stay green all winter when we have a mildish winter & when it's on the south side of the house protected from wind.

cast iron plant/aspidistra; evergreen, can be a houseplant or a garden plant.

Jewel of Opar. shade/bright shade/little bit of sun in the morning but not much. dies back in winter & reemerges. beautiful plant, flowers look like tiny twinkle lights.

Melanie's Purple iris; I have tons of these & can get more. Melanie was an orchid person until she had to move north, & she was used to fertilizing, spraying, pampering...so she put Miracle Grow on the 3 irises somebody gave her...

Golden Rain Trees, at least 2, about 3' tall.

pigeonberry-shade/bright shade/little bit of morning sun but not much. dies back in winter, re-emerges in spring, flowers & makes bright red berries, & keeps flowering & making berries until hard frost.

I'm so excited, wish I could be there, can't wait to hear from Darlene how it all goes!

o

Alwayzgrateful, I'd be glad to mail Love in a Puff and Dutchman's Pipe seeds. Also noticed a small volunteer Cleodendrum bungeii plant I could dig and send as a bareroot. Just send me your address through 'My Page'.

Sylvia, I'm interested in your lavender sedum and your 'tough as nails wild succulent, but if it's the small leafed low growing grey one I have that.. I do have red shrimp available and it's been root hardy through our coldest winters. Do I have any seeds you'd want?

o

I'll take some pics of the little succulent.

Yes, I'd *love* some scarlet & pink pentapete seeds & some velvet pod mimosa

Thanks!

edited to add:

I also have:

purple tall Mexican petunia, lots of it

2 or 3 Angelwing begonias that need a home where they can stay warm this winter

1 pink crepe myrtle, don't know what the name is.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 17:49

o

Hi SylviaTexas. I'll put your name on the African Irises with some plant labels. I would love to have the lavender sedum and the 'wild thing,' lol. Don't know about the artemesia. The one we had, that I managed to kill, was the silver mound. It's still a learning process for us.

It's really too bad you can't make the trip. We look forward to maybe meeting you in a future swap. Thanks so much for the post.

o

Lyna, I have Rosette DeLizzy, but none rooted. I can send you a bunch of cuttings if you want to try rooting them.I can certainly understand rose rooting frustration, but have had some success lately. Roselee seems to have great success, but mine is still only sporadic when I use her method...

Anyway, let me know if you want to give it a shot. If so, I will pick something from your list then.

Sylviatx, the irises and daylilies sound great! Do you see anything on my list you are interested in?

Tonya

o
for Sylvia

Hi Sylvia ! what a sweetie Darlene is for doing this !

yes, please email me directly.... would love pictures of everything you've got jewelry / junk.

send to

soriano471@sbcglobal.net

thank you !!

patty

o

Sylvia, this is so wonderful. We look forward to seeing Darlene represent DFW at the swap!

I'd love some of your Melanie's iris and can give your begonias a happy winter home. If you don't see something on my list let me know what you are looking for because my list is always flexible.

o

I am just now coming up for oxygen from my work. I went around the yard digging some natives out of the pathways. Salvia chicquita, Salvia romeriana, Phlox piloa, Ageratina havanensis, Ageratina havanensis, Broom snake weed (Guitierrezian sarothrae, Artemisia "Valery Finnis" ( loves alkaline limestone soils), Penstemon tenuis,caliche based. Hopefully I will have some Standing cypress (wildflower) .I know I am forgetting something.

o

Hi DCarpenter, Darlene. I am interested in you Manfreda mocha-macho and Salvia nueva leon. Mine died in the last winter. It was really dry down here. Oh and a penstemon. Is there anything on my list that you are interested in. I have taken the jonquils off since they are lost in the bulb garden. You can email me by going to my page if you like....or not.
_mara

o

Alwayzbgrateful, I would love to have some of your lilies... we have none at all. I could mail you anything on my list or send you whatever is left from my swap plants. I also have a cute 'grandmother' sign that I could mail to you. Do you have an email address? I could send pics.

o
san antonio plant swap (saps) october 12, 2013

This sounds like y'all have so much fun-
wisht I could get there!

I'm going to box things up & take to Darlene tonight, & if your box isn't right, I apologize, & I understand if you want to swap your plants for something better.

so here's my 'go with it 'cause time's running out' list.
If I get messages before I head out, I'll make adjustments.

Sunnysa:

my lavender sedum & wild sedum
for your African irises & plant labels.

Roselee

my lavender sedum & wild sedum
for your shrimp plants & seeds for pentapete & mimosa

nbtonya:

my Melanie's irises & daylilies
for, if you still have them, lantana confetti (pink & yellow) & rose cuttings, Heritage & Jude the Obscure if available.

castrogardener/patty:

my junk & jewelry if I can get my camera to behave & if you want what I have!
for your amaryllis and/or roses

rockoakdeer:

my Melanie's iris & Angelwing begonias (thank you for adopting them!)
for your indigo spires & echeverria ruyoni if still abailavle

beachplant:

my glassware & stuff
for your crinum/hymenocallis/crinum asiaticum if any still left & coral vine seeds
I just sent you an email with pics.

alwayzbgrateful
my dwarf cannas, tall cannas, Melanie's irises, daylilies for
your shrimp plants
gardenia

gardenlover

my bag Miracle Grow soil
big pots for
your Mme Carriere
I thank you for your generosity, & I feel terrible that I don't have something more appropriate (I do have a Martha Gonzeles pot-grown rose & a Caldwell pink pot-grown rose if you'd like them.)

If there's enough room, I'll send some extra irises & cannas & Mexican petunias (or are those pests in your area??) as well.

o
re: have: rain or shine .... san antonio plant swap (saps)

There's a chance of rain on Saturday. Patty called asking me to post that we've always had the plant swap rain or shine so if that's agreeable with y'all we'll continue the tradition. This info is especially for the sake of those driving in from out of town.

Even if it does rain it's often over in a few minutes anyway. And unless it's absolutely pouring at my place when we're done trading we'll have the garden open as well. I'll be bringing maps on how to get here.

See ya' soon!

o

Sylvia, the echeverria is yours. The only Indigo Spires are fresh unrooted cuttings at this point and I'm pretty sure that won't make it back to Dallas. If I do find one to dig I'll certainly include it.

o

Thanks!

I'm off to load up the car & head to Darlene's.

o

Alwayzbgrateful, I'd love some oxblood lilies if you still have any.
I have Mme. Laurette Messime & Ragged Robin rooted now--year old plants--& can try rooting Mrs. Dudley Cross & Rosette Delizy for you. E-mail me & I can send a list of stuff I've got. Now that it's cooler it's easy to ship.

o

I`m digging crinums in the am before picking up the car

Barb, just stick it in the ground and forget it. Mom cuts hers back about once a month. LOTs of sun.-Chalice vine is yours baby.

Blue dishes are perfect!

I just dug clerodendrum bungeii so they are yours!

dug a ton of the small native Dutchmans pipe vines out so there are plenty of those.

gotta see if I can find some coral vine I can actually get dug up, it just takes over. There should be seeds though and when whacking it off the bananas I found the white! Woo-hoo! That was the only one I planted the pink came in with Ike.

I have my own rules, if it`s on my table and you touch it you have to take it, and the one next to it. I`ll trade anything for chocolate, or crinums-I have an addiction. Is there a crinum 12 step program?

I`ll try and remember to grab some shrimp plant while out there.

the key to growing swiss chard is plant it in the fall, it dies off in our summers, I can usually keep a couple alive on the deck if I water them daily.

We`re waterproof. Just keep the cupcakes dry!
Tally Ho!

o

Tally, you're so much fun!

o

Tally, our rule is you have to attend every swap forever!

See everyone there! I would love a pipevine if you see this.

Sylvia, I found a nice size Indigo Spires for you. I just dug it so it will need to be babied for a while.

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 13:06

o

I only found one 'wild' succulent, & I put it in a box, can't remember which person's box, but I'll find another one next spring & send it to the 2nd person who wanted it.

o

Ok, just got back from the coast with everyones Mexican flame vines, as well as the plants I promised. I have a Mexican bird of paradise in yellow. Also, for Tally, and Shirely, I have dup up a plant that I do not know the name of, but I really like it since it is variegated. I also have morning glory plants, and canna's pink and white, that I got from Siam in Trinidad, his own hybrid, that I have grown from a seed. Barbra Barbra

o

Barbra I have the pink canna from Siam and would love the white as well. Thanks for the unknown plant, I'm sure I'll like it.

o

Shirley the bloom is pink and white, the other canna I got from him is orange and yellow, I think, I have only one of those. My favorite one is the pink and cream bloom, Its more cream than white.

photo spring2011flowers106.jpg

This is the other one, and I only have one root

photo spring2011flowers127.jpg

o

Okay, unless the weather goes to heck tomorrow morning I'm coming.

Bringing:
Roses
Mme Laurette Messime
Ragged Robin
Pink Chiffon--all well rooted since last year
several little Caldwell Pinks

Aztec Dream Herb--rooted cuttings
couple of little Persian Shields--Strobianthes
a few little toothache plants--Spilanthes acmella
Jewel of Ophir
frog fruit
water clover
horse herb (I know, I know, it's a weed, but what a great groundcover! I've come to appreciate it)
some little rooted Vick's plant

bags of chocolate mint, Kentucky Colonel spearmint.

At this point I don't know what exactly is stuffed in the car--very last minute decision to come & I've never been before.

I reeaaaaly WANT some lizard's tail! I have hornwort & parrot feather I can bring if someone wants water plants. Lots of dry land natives like fleabane daisy, mealy sage, 4 nerve daisy, zexmenia I could dig & send. Tried to dig some up this afternoon but the ground's too hard.

o

Bluegirl, we're happy to hear that you're coming! That's an interesting list of plants. See you there! And at my place afterwards for fun snacks and tall tales.

o

Oh yeah, y'all will be thrilled to hear that the Voodoo Lily is blooming again right on (off) schedule. I've got a sack ready to put over her pretty little pointed head. (There -- you stinker!)

o

Looking forward to meeting you, Roselee! thanks!

o

Barbra, if the orange is still available that's the one I want. I knew there was another color....

Bluegirl we are looking forward to seeing you there.

Looks like we will have close to 30 attending!

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 21:16

o

Shirley you are in luck, I only had one orange plant, and one root. I have quite a bit of the pink and cream one to give away, it seems to grow faster than the other one. Its my favorite. I also have a 6ft red canna in my my back yard, if anyone wants, I will dig it up in the morning for them. Just let me know I will check the forum before I leave. Shirley the fire depts. phone number is 735 9206, they gave us the phone number last year for the police officer, for the partk, if you need for him to come by and unlock anything. Barbra

o

Just got back. How nice to meet everyone! Thank you all for your generosity--wonderful plants, seeds, baked goodies, *stuff*--& what a great location. Thank you all for your hospitality & sharing.

Dang, I hauled back so much my head was swimming so I've been writing notes about plants & people when I take a break from planting.

Best wishes to all.

o

Thanks to all for the fun swap today, I enjoyed seeing everyone and meeting new friends.

Barbra-The mayor of Balcones Heights stopped by with some questions about using the park for a plant swap. You need to call her to get this straightened out before using Rogiers Park again.

This post was edited by rock_oak_deer on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 14:45

o

Shirley, I called my brother-in-law to get the new mayors phone number. I told my sister-in-law, what you were told. She said not to worry about it, her husband (city councelman) will take care of it. I will follow up with her later, don't worry. Barbra

o

Thank you Barbra!

o

Once again a great swap! Thanks to everyone who came out and shared their plants, food and stories. We had a great time at Roslees garden. I`ll get pics up tomorrow.

See you in the spring. We`re going to come up for about 4 days and play tourist then.
Tally & Jim

o

Yes, thanks to everyone participating we had another great swap. Thank goodness it's raining today instead of yesterday! Photos have been posted on the Texas Gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of San Antonio Plant Swap Oct. 12, 2013

o

I think a bunch of snails from Galveston came to Dripping to Die Hehehehe. We clocked in at 6" of rain today.

o

I had a great time on Saturday. I loved meeting everyone. Thank you all for your generosity. My husband wanted to stop and watch a movie as soon as we left the park. Ugh! I looked and smelled ferocious, but we stopped and watched Captain Phillips. Awesome movie. We took our time driving back and stopped and had dinner. All in all, we had a great day. Thanks again everyone! I worked in the yard all day yesterday. My body is paying for it today at work! Thank goodness I'm not busy. Can't wait until the next plant swap. See you then!

Darlene

o

Darlene I'm so glad you and your family had such a good time Saturday.

I should have given you the Indigo Spires which was badly wilted in the morning because it perked up later in the day and would have been fine.

o

Darlene: I am glad that I was able to hand over the rose plant to you for Sylvia even though I made in the last minute to the swap.

Also, Good to meet some of you who are still there.

o
san antonio plant swap (saps) october 12, 2013

Thank you thank you thank you!

I just looked at the pics, & once again I wish I had been able to be at your marvelous swap-
Y'all always sound like a great big happy bunch, & you always have a great time!

I picked up my wonderful plants at Darlene's yesterday evening & got home after dark, so they spent the night in their pots & boxes.

got out first thing this morning & sorted & watered & even got Louis Phillippe & 2 of the crinums in the ground!

Thank you again!

o

Sylvia, thanks for trading with us through Darlene even if you couldn't attend in person. The plants you sent are much appreciated!

o

already looking for a hotel on the riverwalk for the spring swap.

Those are not snails, they are ESCARGOT! Did I forget the directions to prepare them? Put them in an aquarium and feed them lettuce for a week, once they have been purged, cook by the method of your choice and serve with melted butter. Per Texas Parks and Wildlife these are the same ones enjoyed in France. LOL!

Sylvia, I have some other crinums that I will bring to the swap trade, good thing Darlene has a trailer.
Tally HO!

o

Yes, & she has a good driver & a really good helper, too!

Tally, thanks *so* *much* for the crinums!

I hope you can use that glassware;
I had high hopes, but since I'm one of those people who glues her fingers together at every craft class...
it din't work out so well!

I did manage to make a couple of 3-tiered candy plates, but one of them looks a little tipsy.

I'm sure I can rustle up more glass if you still need/want it for the spring swap.

o

Sylvia , I am a very well paid professional gluer together of fingers. I slice them apart with a scalpel and go on with my job. Irritating , yes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here