Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: White Hibiscus coccineus

Posted by terroir zone 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 17:25

Hi,

Im a new member here and Im wondering if anyone has these... They are apparently rare and I saw some for the first time last week and Im kind of obsessing over them. lol check my trade list to see if there is anything I can help you with.

thanks

terroir

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: White Hibiscus coccineus

• Posted by bobbi_p z8/9 Cypress, TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 19:18

Mine just started blooming well a couple of weeks ago. It's got a couple of dried seed pods already, but I'm not sure they'll come true because:

I also have the red Texas Star nearby which I grew from rustled seed. It's just blooming this year for the first time and doesn't seem to be setting seed pods. I'm a bit curious about that, but wonder if it's cross-pollinated by one of my others that it won't set seed?

I also have a large dinner plate red with divided leaves that never sets seed. I'm not sure what it's breeding/variety is, but assume it's a sterile hybrid as well. Someone thought it might be "Fireball."

I also have a Blue River White. It's only had about 3 blooms, and I know it's a hybrid, so I don't expect it to set seed.

So, I guess the moral of the story is: I have a white Texas Star sold to me as "Summer Snow," that's set seed that I'm willing to send, but I can't make any guarantees that the flowers will be white (my red Texas Star didn't bloom in its first year from seed, so it could be 2 years before you knew what you had).

But, I'm willing to take stem cuttings for you. I just never have propagated hibiscus before from anything other than seed. If you give me some dummy-proof instructions, I'm happy to try to send some cuttings either now, or when it gets cooler!

Bobbi

o

that is very generous of you bobbi = )

is there anything on my trade list that interests you? ive got some other hibiscus seeds that you might like.

o

• Posted by bobbi_p z8/9 Cypress, TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 17:54

I'll be honest with you, I'm miserable at propagating cuttings or seeds. It seems that the kids, swim practice, etc. make me miss regular waterings and a bunch of stuff I have in pots suffers horribly!

I'll be happy to send the seeds if you send me your address. What I read about propagating hibiscus is to take 8 inch cuttings, strip the lower leaves and place 4 inches in a sandy starting mix with or without rooting hormone. One site said she had 75% success. I'll take a few cuttings, wrap them in moist paper towels and try sending them your way. Is early next week a good time, or would you rather wait til it cools off a bit?

I'd rather not publish my e-mail address here, but I think you can send me an e-mail if you click on my name. That should be secure to not reveal your e-mail/snail mail address publicly either.

o

thanks so much bobbi! that is very generous of you. i sent you an email. =)

o

Hibiscus coccineus
seeds for sale white,red

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here