Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terroir_gw

WANTED: White Hibiscus coccineus

terroir
13 years ago

Hi,

Im a new member here and Im wondering if anyone has these... They are apparently rare and I saw some for the first time last week and Im kind of obsessing over them. lol check my trade list to see if there is anything I can help you with.

thanks

terroir

Comments (5)

• bobbi_p
    13 years ago

Mine just started blooming well a couple of weeks ago. It's got a couple of dried seed pods already, but I'm not sure they'll come true because:

I also have the red Texas Star nearby which I grew from rustled seed. It's just blooming this year for the first time and doesn't seem to be setting seed pods. I'm a bit curious about that, but wonder if it's cross-pollinated by one of my others that it won't set seed?

I also have a large dinner plate red with divided leaves that never sets seed. I'm not sure what it's breeding/variety is, but assume it's a sterile hybrid as well. Someone thought it might be "Fireball."

I also have a Blue River White. It's only had about 3 blooms, and I know it's a hybrid, so I don't expect it to set seed.

So, I guess the moral of the story is: I have a white Texas Star sold to me as "Summer Snow," that's set seed that I'm willing to send, but I can't make any guarantees that the flowers will be white (my red Texas Star didn't bloom in its first year from seed, so it could be 2 years before you knew what you had).

But, I'm willing to take stem cuttings for you. I just never have propagated hibiscus before from anything other than seed. If you give me some dummy-proof instructions, I'm happy to try to send some cuttings either now, or when it gets cooler!

Bobbi

• terroir
    Original Author
    13 years ago

that is very generous of you bobbi = )

is there anything on my trade list that interests you? ive got some other hibiscus seeds that you might like.

• bobbi_p
    13 years ago

I'll be honest with you, I'm miserable at propagating cuttings or seeds. It seems that the kids, swim practice, etc. make me miss regular waterings and a bunch of stuff I have in pots suffers horribly!

I'll be happy to send the seeds if you send me your address. What I read about propagating hibiscus is to take 8 inch cuttings, strip the lower leaves and place 4 inches in a sandy starting mix with or without rooting hormone. One site said she had 75% success. I'll take a few cuttings, wrap them in moist paper towels and try sending them your way. Is early next week a good time, or would you rather wait til it cools off a bit?

I'd rather not publish my e-mail address here, but I think you can send me an e-mail if you click on my name. That should be secure to not reveal your e-mail/snail mail address publicly either.

• terroir
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks so much bobbi! that is very generous of you. i sent you an email. =)

• ptownva757_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hibiscus coccineus
    seeds for sale white,red

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH