13 years ago

North DFW Fall Swap

Date: Saturday Oct 2. 2010

Time: 10am - 1pm.

Place:

Kid Kastle Pavilion

2210 Briarhill Boulevard

Highland Village, TX 75077

A few tables and BBQ grill at the pavilion. Parking, rest rooms, and playground close by.

There is another party booked right after us, so we need to gather our stuff and vacate right at 1pm so they can set up their party.

More details coming soon.

Feel free to post or email any questions or suggestions you have.

Comments (94)

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

Barkingdogwood, I'd love the passion vine if you still have it. I have some yellow daylilies, a ton of plain airplane plants, red cannas, some herb seeds... I'll have to look to see what else I have that I can pot up and bring.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its been suggested that since time is limited at this location we have pot luck snacks instead of a pot luck meal.
    I totally agree! Less of the plates, silverware, napkins and drink issues to deal with as well.

So, bring a little something snack-ish and what ever you want to drink.

I'll provide coffee service and some coffee cake-ish things.

I'll bring the red wagon for people to use when loading/unloading, and I'm hoping my son can be there to help with all that.

Expect there to be 'soccer' traffic to work around.
    You'll most likely have to unload, then go park then come find your stuff. Or park, then come find the wagon.

Please bare with us while we figure out how to utilize this new location and fine tune our little gathering.

Weather should be great for it though!

My cell phone: 469-438-7002

• tx_ag_95
    13 years ago

I don't have much to bring, almost everything I have enough of to share is almost-ready to go to seed. I can bring cuttings and promise to send seeds to anyone that wants some, tho!

I do have a number of pots of aloe vera, if anyone doesn't have any then I will be more than glad to share! I do have an extra pot of orange (or maybe lime) mint, and I'll gladly bring cuttings of the double-mint, spearmint, and any other mints I have (I can't remember which ones I've acquired, but there are a couple).

Actually, that's about all that I can share right now. :( I'm still trying to fill in my yards and all of the other potted plants are in limbo -- my parents are buying a house and I don't know which of the plants that I've been babysitting my mother will be able to take back!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

Hi LynnMarie - you're in luck! I brought back a pot or two of that passion vine - I have 2 to 4 vines in the pots to make sure some lived (I potted them up ten days ago). Beware, it spreads like Maypop, so give it some room or keep it in an area surrounded by mowed grass! I included a link below. I'd love some yellow daylilies in exchange.

Txag95, I would love some mint! could I interest you in a quart pot of a curly/corkscrew rush? does well in a wet sunny area... Or I have a potted asparagus that needs a home.. Please let me know!

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarlet Fruit Passion vine

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

Hi Susan -

I just looked up your Mrs. Oakley Fisher rose, and I think I would prefer to swap that for the Sunny Knock-out. Then if you'd like a couple pots of asparagus, I could swap those for the phlox and yarrow, or a pot for either one. Would that work? (I'm a sucker for single roses...)

Thanks!

Lin

• FlowerFreak
    13 years ago

Carrie,
    My Mex Honeysuckle is a couple years old and it came back like gangbusters this year despite me losing other stuff that I thought would be hardier. I would overwinter it in your greenhouse now since it's getting late to plant tender things.

Susan - this tuberose has never bloomed for me. It's been in a very pretty pot and now I want the pot for something that will perform. However, I don't baby my plants so maybe it needs fertilizer or something special to bloom. Dita might also want some tuberose but there is enough to split if you both want it. I'd like some bog sage if you have it to spare since I see someone else already asked for some.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Michele, I am interested in the clematis ......anything on my list you want???

• ruthz
    13 years ago

Any interest in:

Black Pearl pepper seedlings (4)
    Trinidad Perfume pepper seedlings (2)
    Purple Flash pepper plant (1)
    Blue Satin rose of Sharon (seeds were from a trade)
    single lavender Rose of sharon
    Jasminun Sambac 'Maid of Orleans' rooted cutting

can dig if requested:

Ajuga
    Salvia 'Mystic Spires Blue' got about 4' tall this year
    Pineapple sage
    Hot Lips Salvia

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

I'm bringing a friend that is new to gardening too!

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Ruth, I would love a Hot Lips salvia if you see anything on my list you would like. I don't know if you like tropicals or not, but the hibiscus I have potted is the double rose and blooms all summer.

• ruthz
    13 years ago

I forgot to add to the list

Plumeria cutting (1)

this is a small NOID
    flowers will be red or white w/ yellow center

• justintx
    13 years ago

I sure wish I could join you guys, alas, duty calls.
    Have fun.
    J.D.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for checking in JD!

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Oh, JD, you just don't see another guy posting..LOL>

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Susan, I see Michele has asked for bog sage as well, and if you don't have enough for two swaps, I will be happy to take phlox instead.

• sfmathews
    13 years ago

@ Carrie, I have PLENTY of bog sage, no worries there!
    @ Lin, sure, you can have the Mrs. Oakly Fisher. I'm not sure it gets enough sun where it is now, so that's why I thought someone else should give it a shot. And whatever asparagus you want to trade for is fine. I've got plenty of yarrow and phlox, so I'll bring both for ya!
    @ Michelle - don't worry about the tuberose, if someone else wants it. Mine has been in the ground for years, with early day sun, and late day shade, and only bloomed once. I'm not one to baby plants, so maybe someone else will have better luck with it. But I will still bring some bog sage for ya!
    @ Ruth, I'd like a Trinidad Perfume pepper seedling,and a Mystic Spires salvia, please. Let me know what you would like in exchange.
    Thanks,
    Susan

• ruthz
    13 years ago

Carrie, could I have Black & Blue Salvia or Vitex for the Hot Lips
    Susan, I'd like John Fannick Phlox for the Trinidad Perfume seedling & Mystic Spires salvia

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Be glad to, Ruth, i will dig a Vitex seedling and some black and blue salvia. If you have extra, a small start of the Mystic Spires would be nice.
    While mowing today, I noticed two pink fairy rose climbers....anyone interested????

• ruthz
    13 years ago

Carrie, I'll pot another Mystic Spires.

I can bring cuttings of Confederate Jasmine if anyone is interested.
    I tried rooting some once without success.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

I have rooted it by placing a limb on the ground and covering it with a rock or something to hold it down. Then I was told it would grow in the shade, which it has, but goes to the sunny side of the fence to bloom.

• FlowerFreak
    13 years ago

Carrie - you can certainly have the Jackmani clematis if it survives the digging. It's a little guy. If you have time to dig some elephant ears, I could add them to my growing collection (unintentional but I had an eye for them the past couple years for some reason).

Michele

p.s. I'll bring chips and salsa/dip

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

@Michele - Can you mark a pot of Maximilian Sunflower for me? And maybe a shrimp plant? At this point I'm not sure if there's anyone signed up for my last asparagus or my corkscrew rush, so they could be available. I may also have some errant small brugs that I thought I had re-homed till I emptied the greenhouse, and maybe a tiny bay tree if it really rooted (it's been in the cup since the Ft. Worth spring swap!) I think there's also a Sunny Knock-Out rose available.

For the group at large - I'm also thinning out my house plants (going from a house with a greenhouse and a plant window to one without), so I'll be bringing whatever fits in my boxes...

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

I forgot to add that I'll bring some cookies...

• carrie751
    13 years ago

My list so far:
    Gail .....2 Vitex
    Susan......Gloriosa daisy
    Ruth..Vitex and Black and Blue salvia
    Michele......Elephant ears

Did I leave anyone out????

Don't know yet what I will be bringing to eat.

• sfmathews
    13 years ago

@ Lin: Sunny KO & asparagus for JF phlox, yarrow & Mrs. Oakley Fisher rose
    @ Carrie: Gloriosa Daisy for Bog sage
    @ Michelle: Bog sage
    @ Ruth: Trinidad pepper & Mystic Spires for JF phlox
    If I forgot anyone, please let me know!
    Susan

• ruthz
    13 years ago

pre-trades as of now:

Lin........CG Brug
    Carrie.....Hot Lips & Mystic Spires salvia
    Susan......Trinidad Perfume seedling & Mystic Spires salvia

Anybody else??
    I'll need time to dig or repot any request

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Me, too, Ruth ..............matter of fact, I really need to finish digging today. Speak up gardening buddies if there is anything you want.

• ruthz
    13 years ago

I'll bring cheese, summer sausage & crackers.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

Here's what I have as pre-trades:

@Susan - Asparagus and Sunny Knock-out rose
    @Ruth - Sunny Knock-out
    @LynnMarie - Corona de Cristo passionvine

I don't have confirmations of trades with:
    @Michelle - I'd like Max. Sunflower and Pink Shrimp plant; don't know what you'd like for them - see below..

@Tx_ag_95 - I'd like some mint, don't know what you'd like for it.

I also have:
    - Tiny bay cutting, well-rooted
    - Sunny Knock-out
    - Corona de Cristo vine
    - Asparagus
    - Corkscrew Rush
    - Pony tail palm
    - Some kind of large-leaved philodendron
    - Drunkard's dream cactus (small pot of rooted cuttings)
    - Corn plant
    - Ti plant
    - aloe

That's what I remember at this point.

Lin
    Barkingdogwoods

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

Oh, I also have Banana that I don't want that I will bring. I'm sure I'll bring other stuff too, I just don't know what yet.

• FlowerFreak
    13 years ago

Lin - pink shrimp plant is for sure. Max is struggling a bit with being dug up but you are welcome to it. For trade - maybe the philodendron or banana. Are either of them variegated? I'm a sucker for funky foliage.

Michele

• carrie751
    13 years ago

lynnemarie, I would love the banana plant if you see anything on my list you would like........I lost mine last winter and just did not replace it this year.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

Hi Michele - I don't have the banana, that's LynnMarie :( The large-leaved philo I have isn't variegated, but I have some cuttings of some that are, and you can have those if you'd like. The Ti plant is hot pink and now getting some variegation, and the corn plant is of course variegated but not funky. Foliage doesn't get much funkier than corkscrew rush, so you might take a look at that. I'm a fan of variegation as well, but all of it is in east Texas and I won't be going back before the swap :(

Lin
    Barkingdogwoods

• ruthz
    13 years ago

melvalena, I'd like a cutting of your firespike if still available and I have something you want

I still have available:

Asarina - Bridal Bouquet (6 small potted)
    a small rooted, just potted Brugmansia (don't remember which one)
    NOID Brugmansia pink (1 potted)
    Solanum Seaforthianum - Blue Potato Vine (1 potted)
    Black Pearl pepper seedlings (4)
    Trinidad Perfume pepper seedlings (1)
    Purple Flash pepper plant (1)
    Blue Satin rose of Sharon (seeds were from a trade) (1 potted)
    Jasminun Sambac 'Maid of Orleans' rooted cutting just potted (1)
    Plumeria cutting (potted about 2 weeks, but not rooted yet)

Can bring CUTTINGS if requested:

Confererate Rose hibiscus
    Confederate Jasmine
    Corkscrew vine

can DIG if requested:

Ajuga
    Canna
    * 'Gold Tropicana'
    * 'Tropicana'
    Cestrum nocturnum 'Night Jessamine'
    Hedychium hybrid 'Luna Moth' ginger
    October Rose hibiscus
    Pineapple sage
    single lavender Rose of sharon (about 10")
    Vigna caracalla - Fragrant Corkscrew Vine

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ruth,

I will bring the potted fire spike for cuttings. Looks to me like perhaps 4 good cuttings will be possible.

If no one has claimed your Jasminun Sambac 'Maid of Orleans', I'd love to have that.

I also have a question about your Fragrant Corkscrew Vine. Do you plant it in the ground? Does it come back each summer or do you have to take cuttings and over winter them?

• ruthz
    13 years ago

Melvalena, I'll put your name on the Jasminun Sambac 'Maid of Orleans'.
    It's small but has a lot of roots and actually bloomed once recently in water in the window.
    I haven't tried corkscrew vine in the ground yet. I bought 2 last summer and overwintered them inside.
    They have been blooming about 2 weeks now.
    I planted a few seeds in spring and they all germinated.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

Hi Ruth -

If you have an extra Fragrant Corkscrew Vine (or some seeds), I'd love some! I think I found one of Carrie's Datmansias in the greenhouse that you might like...it's a cross between a Datura and a Brug. (of course since Carrie gave it to me, I'll have to share any swap with her :)

I also have:
    - Tiny bay cutting, well-rooted
    - Sunny Knock-out
    - Corona de Cristo vine
    - Asparagus
    - Corkscrew Rush
    - Strawberry Creme brugmansia
    - Pony tail palm
    - Some kind of large-leaved philodendron
    - Drunkard's dream cactus (small pot of rooted cuttings)
    - Corn plant
    - Ti plant
    - aloe
    - Hoya plant

Let me know.
    Lin

• ruthz
    13 years ago

I'd love to hear more about the Datmansia.
    I love Brugs and Daturas so a combination???
    I googled and didn't get anything.
    I don't have any corkscrew vine seeds.
    The corkscrew vines I grew from seed were all twined together.
    I separated and dug one and hope it does okay.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OH MY GOSH!
    I just made the little muffins for the swap...
    I think I've ODd on sugar, butter and cinnamon.

After I leave them with hubby this evening (unsupervised)
    I hope there's enough left to take in the morning!

Here is a link that might be useful: Muffins That Taste Like Donuts

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

OK, Carrie, the banana is for you. Actually there are three in the pot, so you and someone else if they want it.

I bagged up about half a dozen red amarylises and red or yellow daylilies. That's really all I have to trade that is worth anything. Plus any seeds I can find.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Okay, ladies..............see you in the morning. And, Ruth, I will fill you in on the datmansia then..........it is nothing special IMHO, but it is pretty, and loves the heat. I can bring tons of seed if anyone wants them.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

Hi Ruth - you'll really have to talk with Carrie, as she's the expert! To me they look like datura, but they have the hardiness of brugs (if that makes sense).

Here is a link that might be useful: Some info on Datura/Brug

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

Hi LynnMarie -

You mentioned you'd like a Corona de Cristo passionvine - I have for you a gallon pot with several vines in it (probably 3 to 5). I was hoping for some yellow Daylilies in swap, but if you've got them mixed with red then maybe you could mark some amaryllises for me.

Thanks!
    Lin
    Barkingdogwoods

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Thanks to all who made this a very worthwhile swap........so good to see old friends and meet new ones. The food was good as well...........let's keep this one going.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I trust everyone went home happy?
    I agree Carrie, lets keep this one going.

In the future we'll change the name to Denton County Swap so there'll be no more confusion about the location. :)

Only down side is we would have liked to have had more beginner gardeners come.

Please post your suggestions or ideas for future swaps or gatherings.

If you don't feel comfortable posting, email me or Carrie with your ideas. We'd love to hear them.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

One of the primary reasons I love swaps over buying plants (other than the company of great gardeners) is that they are tried and true for our particular neck of the woods. I love getting the feed back from fellow gardeners of their experiences with each plant, and it allows me to know whether I want to grow it or not.
    We would love to have beginners.......it is fun to bestow our information on them as they embark into this wonderful world of gardening.
    Let us hear from you either here on the web or by email.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

I agree, this was a fun swap! I swear that EVERYbody went home with more than they came with, and I know that's not possible.

Thanks to Gail for hosting, and Carrie for her advice and guidance.

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Wish I could have made this one. I spent Saturday overseeing some very lazy contractors as they were laying new flooring at my mothers house. Very boring. Looks like ya'll had a great time and I'm so jealous of all the variety of plants that you exchanged. Cheryl

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cheryl,
    We would have loved to see you. I'm sure the Ft Worth swap will be just as great with many of the same tried and true plants available.

Overseeing contractors is not a very exciting thing and the whole time you're thinking of all the other chores you could be getting done. But someone has to do the overseeing... and it usually falls on the shoulders of the one with the most other stuff to do.
    :(

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Would have been great to see you, Cheryl.......maybe the Spring swap?? Have a great time at the Ft.Worth swap, it is just too far for me to go anymore.