Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chargreen_gw

HAVE: Austin/San Antonio Fall Swap - Oct 27

chargreen
16 years ago

Mark your calendar for the fall swap.

Saturday, October 27 9:00 am till ?

Plant Swap and Potluck Lunch and Doorprizes !

Once again at the Buda Pavilion in downtown Buda. More info later.

See you there.

Charlotte

Comments (75)

• astresing
    16 years ago

rosetx, yes the gulf muhly is the one with the pink feathery plumes. It's blooming right now. The crimun I have is an old fashioned pink one I got from an old home site in Taylor. I'll bring you both. The society garlic sounds good to me.

Patty, I would like to have the plants listed below if they are available. I will definitely still come by your table to check out some of the plants I'm not familar with. Thanks for your generosity.

rudbeckia
    eyelash salvia blepharophylla
    var. artemisia
    hot lips salvia
    african hosta
    lyre leaf salvia
    angel trumpet
    milkweed asclepias
    salvia coccinea, white
    yellow flag iris
    haworthia
    pink passion vine
    variegated and vick's plant plectranthus
    jewels of opar
    ardisia
    yellow begonia

See ya soon.
    Ally

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

Ally, thanks a bunch!

Here is my list of haves:

Billbergia Nutans
    Aloe saponaria
    night blooming cereus
    Purple wandering jew
    Chile pequin
    Black Knight Canna (red flower)
    Jewel of Opar (small plant)-I also have a big one I can dig up if anyone wants it, let me know.
    Bulbine
    Mother of Thousands
    Society Garlic
    Spineless cactus
    Blue Agave
    Lemon balm

Want:
    Unusual herbs
    Crinums
    Toad lily
    Fragrant perennials

Thanks.

• astresing
    16 years ago

rosetx, please put me down for the billbergia nutans and the society garlic. I'm also interested the jewels of opar and bulbine if you end up having extra. Is your name Rose? Just wondering who to look for at the swap.

See ya.
    Ally

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

Yes, I'm Rose and I'll put you down for those items. See you there.
    Thanks,
    Rose

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

Ally, I just noticed you also have a white wisteria. I would like one if it's still available.
    Thanks.
    Rose

• astresing
    16 years ago

Rose, you bet, I'll add the white wisteria to your list.

See ya.
    Ally

• cannabeth
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Here's my haves & wants.

Have:
    Butterfly Ginger - White
    Shell Ginger (Green - not variegated)
    Heliconia Pitt. - St. Vincent's Red
    Colocasia - Hilo Beauty
    Billbergia Nutans
    Amaryllis - Red Lion
    Moy Grande Hibiscus
    Turk's Cap - Red
    Hypoestes - Polka Dot Plant - Pink / White / Red

Wants:
    Toad Lily
    Upright EE
    Fishtail Fern
    Iris
    Cast Iron
    Spiral Aloe
    Wild Coffee

See ya there!
    Beth

• castro_gardener
    16 years ago

Ally, do you have an email address we can reach you at directly ?

I have your list.... will check it against what I have left after the others who've already contacted me. I should have quite a few left for you. Could you save me a pink crinum and a gulf muhly ? thank you, Ally

patty

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Hi, everyone. Looking forward to the swap.

Haves:

Lemon Balm
    Society Garlic
    Mexican Mint Marigold
    Texas Mountain Laurel
    Lyre Leaf Sage
    Gulf Coast Penstemon
    Inland Sea Oats
    Ox-Eye Daisy
    Potato Vines
    Coleus
    Rose Cuttings
    Lots of Seeds

Wants:

Texas Betony
    Blackfoot Daisy
    Maypops Passionvine (Passiflora incarnata)
    Incense Passionvine (Passiflora incense)
    Antelope Horns Milkweed (Asclepias viridis)
    Butterfly Bush
    Angelita Daisy (Hymenoxys)
    Fennel Seed

Jana in Austin

• cannabeth
    16 years ago

Hi Astresing,

Would love some of your cast iron, yellow canna & plumbago.
    I have yellow, blue & purple iris. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you the exact names.

Thanks!
    Beth

• astresing
    16 years ago

Patty, my email address is astresing@yahoo.com. I will reserve you some crinum lilies and gulf muhly. Your post sounds good, I'll take whatever you can spare. Surpise me!

Beth, I will put you down for cast iron plant, yellow canna and cape blue plumbago. The iris sound good to me. I also noticed you had ginger's on your "have's list". I would love some ginger. I bought my first tropical ginger this year and I'm growing it in a pot. It hasn't bloomed yet, but I think it may be grown more for the folliage since it's a striking reddish/brownish color. Are your gingers hardy or tropical?

Happy Gardening!
    Ally

• janidob
    16 years ago

Hi All!!
    Yes I spent the weekend potting and trying to make a list of what I intend to bring.

Omar, if you have another bench like the one you brought in the spring, I would love to have it.

Patty, if you decide to bring back the bench from Omar, I would love to have it. I also am interested in the African Hosta, too.

Ally- I too would love some Gulf Muhly.

Here are the plants that are potted that Ron and I are bringing:
    Red Salvia
    Hens & Chicks
    White Crinum
    Pink Ice Plant
    Yellow Ice Plant
    Red Amaryllis
    Mother of (Millions) Thousands
    Penta - Red
    Texas Mtn. Laurel seedlings
    Pecan Trees
    Hollyhocks - yellow
    Agave - Americana
    Sweet Potato Vine - Purple
    Oregano
    Trumpet Jade plant
    Ladie in a boat - Purple hearts but vine is green
    Sweedish Ivy
    Zig Zag Plant
    Purple Ajuga
    Several succulents that I don't know the names of
    Spider plants - curly, verigated
    Kolanche - several colors
    Watermelon Plant - I have no idea the real name, my neighbor has had it for 25 years and does not know the name
    Anternanthea - party time
    Iris - flag, yellow
    Pencil Cactus

Red Yucca Seeds
    Shindagger Yucca seeds

We also have alot of seeds.

If there is something you would like to pre-trade, please send me an email! I have still not finished wading thru all these posts and hope I haven't missed out on something great!

We are both so excited and look forward to seeing everyone!

For potluck, we are bringing a crockpot full of meaballs and rolls, plus rice crispy treats.
    And........a couple of really cool doorprizes so don't forget to enter your name!!!

Wants - I would love to find some calla lily bulbs or seeeds, and day lily bulbs or seeds.

I love starting from seeds~

A great Thank You to Charlotte who has kept the emails moving and making plans for the Swap.

See you all there!!!

Jani - San Marcos
    Ron - Round Rock

janidob@gmail

• astresing
    16 years ago

Well, I guess we're in the home stretch now. Is everyone ready? I was doing some last minute potting over the weekend. The pre-trade orders have been very successful, and I needed some more gulf muhlys. Luckily, I've got plenty to spare and most are blooming right now which is nice.

Jani, Please add purple ajuga, and yellow ice plant to my list.

See ya'll soon!
    Ally

• janidob
    16 years ago

Will do Ally!!
    See ya there!

• Vulture61
    16 years ago

Hi, Jani. I saw your post. I do not have another bench. Sorry. However, I think I have a Southamerican handcraft I think you would like. It is a "brisero" (breezer?). It is a small country house made of painted clay. It is hollow and it comes with a separate base that is a candle holder. When you light up the candle and place the hollow house on top of it in a semi-dark place, the windows of the "house" light up like the teeny tiny house was occupied. Interested? I'd like to have your red amarillys, white crinum and the potatoe vine for it if the plants are winter hardy. Let me know.

Omar

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Jani,

I would like a Kalanchoe and a Pink and Yellow Ice Plant. Please check my list up further in this post to see if I have anything you want.

I have no idea what food I am bringing yet. I will bring some water bottles and some paper goods.

Omar-the potato vines are not winter hardy, but you can grow them over the winter inside as houseplants. I have three colors I am bringing too! Can't wait to see your handicrafts.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

Jana in Austin

• castro_gardener
    16 years ago

Hello all. There's a great possibility that I will not make the swap on Saturday. First one I've missed in forever ! I've emailed most of you individually if I had a pre-arranged swap with you. I didn't want you to bring things with my name on it if I wasn't coming. I will still have your plants in the spring, so I hope everyone will make plans to be there next year ! Have a good time !!

Patty

• txbeyer
    16 years ago

I just now finally found where the haves/wants were being posted for the Fall Swap so a little late getting in on the action. I definitely will be there with my usual assortment of unusual and hard to find plants from my collection which I will be delighted to share with everyone.

My wants are few:
    Wooly Butterfly Bush (Buddleya marrubifolia) - I really hope someone has this!
    From those listed already:
    A roughleaf dogwoods from "astresing"
    Moi Grande hibiscus from "cannabeth"

My haves for Wants already posted are:
    Variegated toad lilies for RoseTx
    A "knock your socks off" variegated Kalanchoe for texanjana
    Other Haves:
    Two variegated varieties of Phillipine violet (Barleria cristata)
    Agave desmethiana 'aureo marginata'
    Variegated japanese honeysuckle (not rampant and brilliant in color)
    Two different species of Turks Cap (yellow variegated)
    Dwarf Hummingbird Bush (Hamelia patens nana)
    Double knockout rose - rooted cuttings
    Martha Gonzalez rose - rooted cuttings
    Variegated Toad Lily
    Thai-hybrid Crown of Thorns cuttings
    Kalanchoe (pale blue with cream colored variegation)
    White TX Star Hibiscus seed

Also, you are welcome to see my entire plant collection at
    www.southeasttexasgardening.info/plantlist.htm and let me know if there is something there you'd like to trade for.

Being a collector, I am always looking for plants that are "out of the ordinary". Tempt me :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Southeast Texas Gardening

• astresing
    16 years ago

Bob, the variegated toad lily sounds good to me if you still have some to spare. If not, the yellow variegated turks cap sounds good too.

Thanks a bunch.
    Ally

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

Yeah! Bob has the variegated toad lilies. I would love one. If there's anything on my list that you would like, let me know.
    Thanks
    Rose

• janidob
    16 years ago

Hi Bob,

I would love a toad lily, if you have any available.

If there is anything from my list you are interested in, I would be glad to save it for you.
    Thanks,
    Jani
    San Marcos

• txbeyer
    16 years ago

I will make sure I bring a lot of Gilt Edge (variegated) Toad Lilies to the swap - seems like this one is going to be popular!

• chargreen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like everyone is as excited as I am about the swap.
    I'm bringing the usual swap set up stuff and whatever I swing by and pick up for the potluck. For those of you that aren't familiar with Buda there is an HEB and SuperWalmart on the way to the park.
    The plants that I potted got pretty beaten up in the wind so whatever looks not wilted I will bring.
    So far I plan to bring the following.
    Umbrella Grass (Cyperus Alternafolius)
    Incense Passionflower
    Seeds for Cypress Vine
    Zexmania
    Multiplying Onions
    Society Garlic
    Blackie Sweet Potato
    If anyone wants the following pond plants I can bring them
    Pennywort
    Parrot Feather
    Four Leaf Water Clover (Marsilea quadrifolia)

Looking forward to seeing you all at the swap.

Charlotte

P.S.
    Patty we will miss you! Hope you surprise us and get to come!

• ridleycat
    16 years ago

I'm considering coming to the Swap this weekend. I've got a few 5-gallon pots with American white waterlily (nymphaea odorata) that I can bring if anyone is interested. My mom's got more than she knows what to do with.

• chargreen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ridleycat,
    Please do come to the swap. I would love to have a white waterlily. See my post above to see if I have anything you want. Also, I forgot to add that I am bringing some native liatris(Gay Feather).
    Charlotte

• ridleycat
    16 years ago

Thank you for the welcome. I'll definitely try to make it.

Here are some of the things I think I'll be able to bring:

gladiolus corms and cormlets (I think these are just the basic pink kind)
    African basil cuttings
    American white waterlily (5-gal. pots)
    lots of seeds for vegetables (carrots, lettuce, spinach, mesclun, onions) and a few ornamentals

I'm pretty open to cool plants to trade.

• astresing
    16 years ago

Charlotte, you just caught my attention with your Gay Feather. That's a plant I've definitely been wanting. Please check my list and see if anything intests you.

Ridleycat, welcome, I'm so glad you've decided to come. I would like some gladiolus corms. Please check my list to see if anything interests you.

See ya soon.
    Ally

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

Charlotte, I would like some of your four leaf clover and if you still have some gay feather as well.

Ridleycat, I would like an american white waterlily.

My list is up above if you'd like anything.
    See you all there.
    Thanks.

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Charlotte,

I would love to have some Gayfeather as well if you have enough! Please see if I have anything you want.

I also have a bunch of Red Hot Pokers if anyone wants them.

Jana

• astresing
    16 years ago

Jana, yes on the red hot pokers. If you wouldn't mind adding it to my list that would be great.

Thanks so much.
    Ally

• ridleycat
    16 years ago

We have a total of eight five-gallon pots of American white waterlily. Probably what we'll do (since those are a little unwieldy) is bring the number that have been requested on this thread, and then bring a few more just in case. So if anyone else is interested in a waterlily, please let me know. :)

• janidob
    16 years ago

Ridleycat
    I would love a white water lily too, if you have any not spoken for.

I am also interested in your glad corms, Pink is fine with me. I have very pale lavender.

Thank you,
    Jani

• cannabeth
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Won't be able to make it on Saturday due to a back injury caused by of course - a very heavy pot. Looking forward to the Spring swap and will put aside requested plants for Patty, Ally, & Bob. Have a great time!

Beth

• Carla
    16 years ago

Charlotte,

I will be bringing the sausage and rice as usual. I will also bring a door prize. This is my list of plants I know I will bring:

weeping love grass
    miscanthus
    lemon grass
    deer muhly (if it will come up)
    butterfly iris
    bearded iris (purple)
    oxalis (regular pink)
    canna (solid orange blooms)
    rick rack
    epiphyllum (white blooms)

various seeds (cleome, datura, rock rose, candlestick, jewel of opar, columbine, chives, castor bean, others)

If anyone wants a yucca plant, let me know, otherwise I'm not bringing it.

Whoever has the red hot pokers please save some for me. I believe mine drowned this summer.

I'm sure there will be other things I can get into the car at the last minute.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Carla

• chargreen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm bringing gayfeather (Liatris) for Ally, Rose and Jana and I have a few more. Also Rose I will bring you a four leaf water clover.
    Carla can you save me a butterfly iris? Only one that I got from you last swap survived the rain. I'm glad you are bringing your sausage and rice it's always a hit!
    Jani is bringing an extension cord and power strip for the crockpots. They have done some work on the pavilion so it is a little different but still no tables! The weather is going to be beautiful!!! I think we have around 30 people who have told me they are coming.
    See you tomorrow,
    Charlotte

P.S. Beth I'm so sorry you can't come. I hope you feel better soon!

• astresing
    16 years ago

I didn't know we were going to have electricity, so I planned a cold dish. I'm bringing a cold pasta dish with chucks of ham in it. I'm also bring some chocolate chip cookies that I will bake tonight. It's close to lunch right now so I've got food on the brain.

I was really worried about the weather last night. I heard some places were going to get into the 30's. By the time I heard that, there wasn't much I could do but pray. I have way to many tropical plants outside in pots to do anything last minute. My annual plant migration is akin to the large herds of wildebeest migrating across Africa. When I woke up this morning it was 47, so no problem. Did anyone experience any of those 30's they were talking about?

See ya'll soon.
    Ally

• txbeyer
    16 years ago

Carlotte, Larry Cook will be coming with me tomorrow. Larry is no stranger - he attended the last two swaps. I will bring a a variety of soft drinks to go with all that yummy food.

• txbeyer
    16 years ago

Last minute request. Does anyone have Kampheria rotunda (a ginger variety) that they can divide and share?

Bob, NW Austin

• texanjana
    16 years ago

I am bringing pizza pinwheels and brownies to eat.

• Vulture61
    16 years ago

Well, I an almost ready for tomorrow. The plants, garden items, non garden items and the handcrafts are already on the truck.

Carla, I'd like to try my luck with one of your white epiphyllums. I have a start of Carex hachijoensis that I think you will love. In my opinion, it's a great performer: beautiful, elegant, perennial, evergreen and winter hardy.

I'm afraid I'm going to miss Carla's rice :(. I gotta go at 11:30. If I miss Carla's rice this time I'll get it in spring. Right, Carla?

I'm bringing water, ice and french bread.

See y'all tomorrow,

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Carex from Omar

• ridleycat
    16 years ago

Where exactly is the pavilion?

• Vulture61
    16 years ago

Take I-35 exit 221 and go west (loop 4 / Buda's Main Street). You are going to pass Walmart, HEB and Cabela's Dr (2 traffic lights). Keep going until you find the train track on your right. Turn right after the train track (San Antonio Rd). The park is on the right side.

Omar

• Vulture61
    16 years ago

I just want to thank everybody for their plants and goodies. It was a great swap. I think we had more "diversity" this time (plants and food). I came back home with a lot more plants and fuller belly I had planned, as usual. Until next spring! Thank you ya'll!!

Omar

• texanjana
    16 years ago

I had a great time today and enjoyed meeting everyone. Thank you so much for all of my goodies! I hope I can make it in the spring with more stuff to bring!

Jana

• sowandsew
    16 years ago

Beautiful day, great swap. I love my "Austin/San Antonio Plant Swap T-shirt." Thanks, Jani. Charlotte, thanks for another opportunity to meet fellow plant lovers & put faces with the names. I really appreciate your organizing us & attending to the details. Hi, Curt!
    Marjie

• txbeyer
    16 years ago

I have 6 pictures I took at the Plant Swap posted in the photo gallery at http://www.plantswap.net Thank you everyone for sharing. Looking forward to early April 2008 for our next Swap. Charlotte, your effort to make this Swap such a success deserves our greatest appreciation.

• brarygrl_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Howdy and thanks for all the fabulous plants I came home with - I can't wait to plan out where they all will go. I hope to have more variety to bring in spring after my garden has grown up a bit.
    Take care y'all!
    Lindsey

• ridleycat
    16 years ago

My mom and I had a great time and came away with all sorts of wonderful new plants to try. Thanks for the welcome, and we'll definitely try to make it again in the spring.

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

I had a wonderful time and met some great people. I hope to see you again in the Spring. Thanks for the invitation.

• janidob
    16 years ago

Ron and I had a wonderful time. He commented that I might actually have come home with less than I took, which is exceptional!!
    Thank you Charlotte for a great get together. It was wonderful seeing everyone and I am very pleased with all the plants I have acquired.
    Bob, thank you for answering my plant identification questions.

I can't wait til spring! I also think there was a nice diversity in the plants.

Ally & Lindsey - I will be digging purple iris' this weekend and promise to get them in the mail by monday. Lindsay you should be getting mail today, it's the seeds you wanted.

It was wonderful meeting new swappers as well as seeing people from the last swap.

Thank you to everyone who came and hopefully we will see you all in the spring!

Jani & Ron
    San Marcos & Round Rock

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer