Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

WANTED: Ft Worth Swap Trinity Park November 1

sylviatexas1
15 years ago

Hot as blue blazes, & yet....

It's time to start planning for the Autumn Swap!

I think I smell that fresh, earthy, autumn leaves aroma in the air already!

If anyone knows of a conflict with the City of Ft Worth or the Parks Dept, please let me know so we can change the date.

I started a few cuttings this week:

weeping willow

some other kind of willow

Bridal Wreath Spirea

sedum with yellow flowers

artemesia

Confetti Lantana

& a lantana that I'm *sure* used to be a Confetti, but this year it's only produced mauve/pink flowers.

a couple of rooted Golden Rain tree seedlings.

rooted cuttings of English Ivy.

& it looks like I'll have a bunch of historic landscape irises (that's what you call them when you don't know what they are because they've gotten so crowded that they didn't bloom in the spring!)

Comments (92)

• seamommy
    15 years ago

Liz, I might have some peonies. Some of mine have gotten so big they are starting to crowd out everything else. You wouldn't have any hosta divisions would you? That's what I'll be looking for. I don't really want the tiny little minature varieties, I prefer the larger ones that have the bluish colored leaves.

Here's my HAVE list, so far:
    English ivy
    Rock rose
    Brazilian rock rose
    Texas Star hibiscus
    Texas Gold columbine
    Lavender columbine
    Larkspur seeds

Cheryl

• mommyfox
    15 years ago

Element321 and I are working on a webpage just for the swap! I put a link below. It's still being developed - I need y'all's opinions! Sylvia I hope it's ok I quoted you on the FAQ.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap Page

• liz_h
    15 years ago

mommyfox - I'll be tickled to death to have your pots! The pansies and snapdragons I have are mixed. They probably won't be in bloom by then for you to select the color. I have some all white snapdragon seed on order. I could have them potted up for you, but they would still be pretty small at that point.

sylvia - I can use the flats, too. I don't have any perennial herbs, but may have some loaves of homemade bread.

seamommy Cheryl - Sorry, I don't have any hostas. Can I tempt you with pansies, snapdragons, parsley, cilantro, chives, or bread?

Everyone, please excuse my delayed response. Something came up & I was afraid I wouldn't be able to make the meet after all. I need to talk with DH re the groundcovers, but will get back to you.

• element321
    15 years ago

Have:
    * Purple Cone flower seeds
    * Winter Squash seeds
    * Yellow Columbine seeds
    * Light Pink Oleander Cuttings
    * Purple Crepe Myrtle - seeds

* Rooted Red Oleander
    * Rooted Light Pink Oleander Cuttings
    * Purple Crepe Myrtle Cuttings

Wants:
    * Dwarf Banana
    * Clematis
    * Daylilies
    * Ginkgo Biloba
    * Wood Fern
    * Japanese painted wood fern
    * Fig
    * Large Elephant Ears
    * Meyer Lemon Tree
    * Water Plants
    * Cast Iron Plant
    * Parlor Palm
    * Low and medium light indoor plants
    * Gold Fish Plant
    * Mother-In-Law Plant or snake tongue
    * Snake Plant
    * Nursery Pots -Any size but prefer 3 gallon and larger
    * Planters
    * Fancy pots of sizes, shapes, and colors
    * 5 gallon buckets
    * 35 and 55 gallon plastic drums

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

element, I know I can bring you some cast iron plant, & if I can get myself in the mood to get slimy water all over me, I'll bring you some water plants!

• element321
    15 years ago

sylviatexas,That would great! Thanks for posting your list on Ft Worth Garden Swap.

Everyone please come out to the site and up sign and post your lists. These lists can be edited. This system will be easier track everyone's.

With list you can edit them when you add more items or remove items, when they are taken.

Take a look at my add to see what mean.

Thanks

PS sorry about the slowness of the site. There something causing the database to run slow. I am working to correct the issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fort Worth Garden Swap

• tropicgirl
    15 years ago

Oh Wow! I should have came back in here quicker. I'm sorry about responding so late.

Joie33: I'm excited too. It's great that you got your sister to come with you. If you have any rain lily seeds left, I would love to trade for the purple datura seeds if you still want them. Let me know and I will reserve some for you.

Sylvia: What's your favorite baked goods? :)

Mike1206: Looks like there will be a few first timers there. Good to know I won't be the only one. lol
    I need to take inventory of the used nursery pots I have. I will post later when I have a count and sizes.

Question: Please don't laugh, but what time does the swap start?

Counting the days to Nov. 1st. Excited about meeting all of you.

Deb

• element321
    15 years ago

FYI: Got the slowness issue resolved on the garden swap page. Please add your lists to the garden swap pages

• nurslinda
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I'm a plant newbie also. I have a "brown thumb" and would like to trade it in for a green one. :) I've been invited to the Nov. 1 swap by a nice gentleman I met on Freecycle when I was asking for flowering plants for my sad, plantless flowerbed. He and his son came by today and brought some great plants to me. I can't thank him and his son enough for their generosity in giving me the plants and helping to put them into the flowerbed. I'm so thrilled at how wonderful the bed looks with plants in it...can't wait to see the flowers they will have. I'm not sure if I will have any plants to share, but I can bring some cake and cookies, if that's ok. :) I'm looking forward to learning about different plants, how to plant them, and what care they will need. See you Nov. 1
    Linda

• joie33
    15 years ago

tropicgirl, I'd love some datura.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the ever-so-popular rain lily seeds. I have several pod's worth (collected in the past month) and expect more before the swap. This is the first year I've grown them and never from seed. All the advise I've read online says to plant the seeds ASAP. So do I bring seeds to the swap or plant them in peat pots for everyone that wants them. Planting them now should increase the odds of germinating. To everyone that's asked for rain lilies, how would you like me to deliver them?

JK

• alley
    15 years ago

I'm working on my list and will get it on the garden swap forum (at the moment I'm pretty sure there will be shasta daisies).

Mommyfox--I owe you some gingers from the spring swap. But, I saw that they weren't listed on your wants page. Do you still want some? Let me know and I'll get them ready.
    Alison

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tropicgurl, I love homemade goodies, & they don't have to be fancy;
    my Aunt Margaret used to make homemade bread, just, you know, *bread*, & it was the best stuff!

I do confess to a sweet tooth;
    cookies & brownies are special weaknesses!

I finally did something I've been jabbering about for a long time, dug out the weeds along the side of the drainage ditch along the road (nearly killed me!) & put some mulch over it.

It's a western exposure with intense summer sun.

In places, I've planted some very hardy sun-lovers, but there are a couple of gravelly spots that need something especially tough;
    anybody got any ideas?

• freshair2townsquare
    15 years ago

Sylvia ~
    my Dallas Red lantana & May Night salvia are thriving - they are at the end of our driveway, btwn my compost bin made of cinder blocks and the alley pavement - afternoon and evening sun + lots of reflected heat & no add'l watering
    ~ Amy

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    15 years ago

The Chi Chi Mexican petunia (tall pink) that I planted on my hell strip has taken over. Before I had that in there, I had good luck with autumn sage (salvia gregii), Mexican sage, and Russian sage (do you see a theme?).

Lin

• tropicgirl
    15 years ago

joie33-I have some datura seeds reserved for you.

sylvia-I'll bring some baked goods for you.

I'm getting more excited. Just 5 more weeks :)

Deb

• mommyfox
    15 years ago

Sylvia,
    Butter and egg wildflowers, cuphea and alyssum have always done well for me in difficult spots. You want one of 'em? I have some bat-faced cuphea that I could take cuttings of. I wasn't planning on trying to get any to root, but for our Sylvia, I could give it a shot, or take cuttings the morning of the swap.

Oh, and anyone who hasn't checked out the forum, it looks like it's working pretty well! Feel free to email me if you need any help, I think it will be great way to organize this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap Forum

• mikeb1206
    15 years ago

NurseLinda, welcome aboard!

You ask a good question, What time does this shin-dig get started?

• mommyfox
    15 years ago

In the past, people have started arriving and setting up their stuff around 10, though things generally aren't in full swing until between 11 and 12.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

momfox, thanks!

If you think they're likely to make it thru the winter, I'd love to try bat-faced cuphea.

yes, we "officially" start at 10, but people sort of drift in, some earlier so they can set up & be ready to race at the sound of the starting gun, some later so they can browse at the displays already set up.

• weenerdogg
    15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a bit late getting into the fray but here is what I can bring for sure

Larkspur seeds
    Garlic chives
    Lirope clumps
    Rooted Rosemary cuttings
    Apple mint
    Spearmint
    Passion Vine seed pods
    Trumpet vine seed pods
    Ananas melon seeds

Possibly rose cuttings
    lemon balm

Joie I definitely want some stevia!

I want some things like bee balm, lavender, herbs and plants that attract beneficials and birds.

Will xpost to the forum :)

• seamommy
    15 years ago

Weenerdog, I would love some passionvine seeds please, I got some in the spring and they grew like champs but never bloomed, so naturally I want to try them again. I have some red bee balm, if you would like to swap.

Here's my HAVE list, so far:
    Rock rose
    Brazilian rock rose
    Texas Star hibiscus
    Texas Gold columbine seeds
    Lavender columbine seeds
    Larkspur seeds
    Cleome Seeds

I also have one lonely koi, about 6-7" who needs a good home where he can have some company of his own type. Will trade him for duckweed and water lettuce and other floating plants.

Cheryl

• weenerdogg
    15 years ago

Seamommy you have yourself a deal!!

• debbiedo7
    15 years ago

I got some pineapple mint from someone in the Spring & it burned up this summer. Does anyone have any to share with me? It smelled so good & I never even got to make any tea from it.

Thanks,
    Debbie

• liz_h
    15 years ago

joie33, I've read that rain lily seeds work just fine for wintersowing, so I'd like to have the seeds. I have a ton of seeds listed in my post on the Plant Swap Forum.

Element & Mommyfox, congrats on the site! It is very nice to be able to edit posts & track trades all in one post.

Here is a link that might be useful: my list on plant swap site

• barefoot_in_texas
    15 years ago

Okay folks - got the "permit" for the gazebo area at Trinity Park for November 1, 2008 from 10:00 a.m. til 2:00 p.m. Nothing else going on in the park that day that will cause interference. See you all there

• alley
    15 years ago

Ok, I have posted my list on the other site.

Joie33--do you still have any rain lily seeds left? I saw on your list that you also have canna seeds and want sunflower (you had other seeds, but I don't have any of them). I have mamoth sunflower and vanilla ice sunflower. Interested in swapping? I also saw that you had bee balm plants and are looking for a pomegranate. I have a pomegranate (still in a 4 inch pot).
    Alison

• debbiedo7
    15 years ago

Alison I would love to get a pomegranite plant if you have another one. Take a look at what I have listed on the website.

Thanks,
    Debbie

• weenerdogg
    15 years ago

Allison, What Debbie said lol!! Let me know either way. Thanks!!

• debbiedo7
    15 years ago

WooHoo Brenda the Gazebo sounds great

• seamommy
    15 years ago

I have been back and forth on this site and reeally wish everyone would post to the optional site. It's so much more user friendly since you can edit your lists after they're posted. You don't have to sift through multiple posts to find that one that someone offered you something for something and you can't remember exactly who it was, or what they wanted. I really love the format of it. Plus, I have done some off-topic posts and really wish someone would respond even if it's just to say, 'Hey, shut up Cheryl!' Cheryl

• barefoot_in_texas
    15 years ago

Some of our regulars are missing in action. Anybody seen weldon, mikeandbarb, dannab, ambersas, dorothy, etc., etc.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know Barb has had some stressful family stuff going on-
    she's very concerned & involved with her dad's health problems.

• phyllisb2008
    15 years ago

Hi my name is Phyllis and I just joined gardenweb and have heard a lot about the swap in November from our friend Sylvia. I plan on being there to meet all of you. This is a first for me. I'm very excited to be a part of something so special..........

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay!

glad you can make it, Girl!

Attention Swappers:

Phyllis really has a green thumb, & she's a great cook as well!

• fortunegardener
    15 years ago

Not sure how to use the list forum. I have:
    Groundcovers - varigated monky grass (white and green stipes) and varigated vinca (white and green)
    Daylily - different colors but cannt tell the difference
    Brug cuttings - rooted (CG and Frosty Pink)
    Mexian petunia - tall blue
    Columbine - seedlings (I believe dark blue, but cannot guarantee)
    Amaryllis - red, small bulbs from seeds
    Oak and hedge material seedlings - only if anyone wants. These are volunteers; I normally just pull them out.

Want:
    Brugs - White and other double brugs
    Amaryllis - other than red

Here are some my wants and gives:
    Alley, give: columbine seedlings
    Element, give: dailies
    Seamommy, give:please let me know; want: cleome seeds and peony divsions
    Liz, give: groundcovers - two kinds, let me know how many, I have a lot; want: candytuft, alyssum and cosmos seeds

• mommyfox
    15 years ago

Fortunegardener, it's pretty simple once you know your way around the forum. Click on the link below. (There is a bar of blue right under the yellow flower picture, and on the right hand side of that bar is a "Login" link. Log in if you haven't already.)

There is a button on the top right hand side that says "New Topic." Click that, name it "Your Name's List" or some such thing, and list whatcha got and whatcha want! Then other folk can reply to your post, and you can click "edit" on your post so that you can update what you have, your trades, etc.

If you or anyone else have any questions, feel free to email me. mommyfox at gmail dot com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap Forum

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It seems to me that a lot of people haven't had time to become comfortable with the swap site, & nobody wants to be the one to say, "I just can't get there from here"...

so I'll start!

Post your haves & wants on this thread, arrange pre-trades, whatever the spirit moves you to do (legal, moral, & non-fattening, please!)

I, sylviatexas

HAVE (I hope I remember...)

my famous pink 4 o'clocks
    tall purple Mexican petunia
    a couple of salvias
    a comfrey if someone hasn't claimed it on the other site
    oregano
    fragrant orchid-colored phlox in tiny pots
    obedient plant
    1 artemesia
    Jewel of Opar in tiny pots
    landscape iris
    dwarf canna, yellow edge with orange center

seeds:
    morning glory, some sky blue, some Grandpa Ott brilliant purple, mixed together
    hardy hibiscus
    small globe allium
    Partridge Pea

WANT:

evergreen anything
    leatherleaf mahonia
    homemade bread or brownies or some such
    Someone traded me some *wonderful* lotions at the last swap, seems like the lotion has goat's milk & shea butter in it. Anybody remember? I *love* this stuff!

Next, please!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Please post your haves & wants on the new thread.

I thought I was posting the above as a new message, not as another post on this thread!

so there's a new thread for haves & wants....

• alley
    15 years ago

I'm not sure where I should put this, so here it is. I think that most people get there around 10, so this may be moot. I plan on being there around that time. I have to leave around noonish. I have to get back to willow park and get all fancy to get back to fort worth by 2. So, if I have something of yours and you won't be there until after I leave, let me know and I'll try to figure something out.
    If I miss lunch, well, I could stand to miss a few. I also will probably not bring something for the drawing.

alison

• Deb Chickenmom
    15 years ago

It seems like so many people already have definite trades worked out...If (as a total newbie) I show up with whatever I can get together between today and the swap, will I be able to just work out trades at the swap? It sounds confusing...But almost everything seems to sound confusing to me these days...

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Chickenmom (love the name!), & welcome!

The Ft Worth swap is possibly the least structured event you'll ever attend in your lifetime!

Just bring what you can bring, bring your own self, & have a good time.

No matter if you haven't worked out pre-trades;
    many of us have been doing the FW Swap for eons, & we always carry on this way.

Everybody brings things other than their pre-trade items, so you'll have a lot of potential trade partners to work with!

• Deb Chickenmom
    15 years ago

I saw a note somewhere about helpful things to bring --like a chair, note paper,??? A cart? I can't find it now. Is there a list somewhere?

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

I want to thank Debbie for sending me an email for this. I had checked this board not too long ago & didn't see this post so thought there wasn't going to be a fall swap. I don't know if I can get anything together in just two weeks, but I'll look.

• weldontx
    15 years ago

Hi swapers. Just some input for those I've swapped with before. I have other commitments on the 1st. Have fun!!
    Weldon

• sandy_8b
    15 years ago

Seamommy,

You are right the swap site works very well for a swaps needs. Bravo to all who had a hand in it

Organic Gardener

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    15 years ago

Hi Gardening buddies!

I don't have much to swap at this event, and I have to bail out early to go to a Greyhound adoption event (for my TWO fosters!) so I'll just be there early but for a short time. I hope to see you all!

Lin (Barkingdogwoods)

• liz_h
    15 years ago

chickenmom - is this what you meant? It's from the FAQ at the swap website.

"Other useful items to bring to the swap ... Paper and pen for writing down stuff, a blanket and/or chairs, a folding table if you want to be all fancy, a nametag and/or sign showing who the heck you are so people can easily find you, boxes for transporting plants, a wagon if you've got one, a hat, sunscreen, drinks, plastic sacks and a bit of water (for when you inevitably are asked for a special cutting of your magnificent plant.)"

• Deb Chickenmom
    15 years ago

Yes! That was it. I just couldn't find it again. Thanks!

• joie33
    15 years ago

Hi All, I know I've been MIA for a few weeks. Work has been taking over lately. I just posted my trade list on the FTW Garden swap site. I added my pre-trades as I culled them from this page. Please review to see if I'm still on track.

I'm going to try to accommodate everyone's rain lily requests. If I don't have enough of the yellow rain lily seeds to go around, I may be able to entice you with some minima seeds.

Minimas are the most adorable tiny pale pink rain lilies. The flowers are less than a half inch in diameter. As a bonus, they go from seed to blooming in one year! I have about a dozen minima seed pods in my pots right now. I'll try to harvest some before the swap.

Looking forward to meeting you all,
    JK

• barefoot_in_texas
    15 years ago

Be sure and post on the head count thread if you're coming. Just to let me know how many we're having for lunch. Include husbands, wives, kids, friends, dogs, etc.

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!