Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Ft Worth Autumn Swap!

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 13:10

I thought it would be a good idea to post early so everyone can start thinking about what they'd like to bring, what they'd like for their gardens, get some cuttings started, etc.

Trinity Park
just north of I30 on the east side of University.

Saturday, November 4, starting 10 AM

World's most casual plant swap:

Bring your
surplus plants,
seeds,
containers,
garden art/junk,
magazines/books/videos,
tools.

Don't forget
pond plants & supplies,
bulbs,
ornamentals,
food plants,
tree seedlings,
bamboo,
butterfly garden plants & supplies,
pots,
stepping stones,
even mulch/potting soil/vermiculite/perlite...

(I once traded something-or-other for a bag of sheep manure!)

Here are some things that I'll have:

white datura or moonflower (plants & seeds)
golden rain tree
wisteria
crepe myrtles: most of mine are white, but not for sure.
1 hydrangea
cannas: lemon yellow Conestoga & Canna Indica Indian Shot
Autum Joy Sedum
some other kind of sedum, smaller than AJ & it has a neon-bright pink daisylike flower.
& as always...the famous hot pink four-o'clocks!

Wear baggy comfy clothes, bring a hat, make sure you have something to drink & maybe some ice, something to sit on.

We usually each bring something to share in the way of food, not a big meal, just some things that are easy to fix/bring/serve/eat.

It's a good idea to put your pre-trades in boxes with the recipient's name in big letters.
& watch your stuff:
Although we like to think that we all know each other & that everyone is honest, we can't count on it.
I once lost an entire box of mauve crinums that someone just took & drove off with!
Not only did I feel angry & violated,
but the people to whom I had promised crinums were upset & disappointed.

Both pre-trades & on-site trades are fun:

With a pre-trade, you *know* that you'll get something you want & you *know* that the item you bring will have a home.

With an on-site trade, there's the excitement of surprise/discovery:

I have a bog garden today because Tee gave me some bog plants at a swap!

There are no "rules" as to what is equivalent to what, like "a 1 gallon plant=2 quart plants" etc.

You can trade anything for anything, as long as the other trader agrees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Ft Worth Autumn Swap!

Hi Sylvia, I hope to make the swap but I need to take inventory to see what I have to bring.
I know I have a climbing white rose I need to find a home for.
As always I look forward to the swap. Is your friend going to make this one, the one that came last fall?
I hope she wants to come, she is a sweet lady.

o

• Posted by lorax z8b/Friendswood (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 8:10

Sylvia has also posted the Fort Worth Swap in the Plant Swap Calendar where you can show everyone your 'have' and 'want' lists with your intentions to attend the event.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Swap

o

Hi all. I will post my list, later in the week.
For sure, I will have lots of the big quart to gallon size pots. Hey Weldon, Sylvia & anyone else that could use some. Will get my list, on here soon.
Thanks - Tina_2

o

Please post haves/wants here:

I think 2 places adds to the confusion.

I listed the get-together on the Plant Swap so that people who don't know about gardenweb could find out about it.

o
RE: Here's my list for the swap!

Hi all. Here's my list, of haves & wants for the swap.
Have :

1. jewel of opar , plants/ annual - reseeds/ small star shaped flower. loves the sun. grows 2x2 -ft.tall

2. vinca vine- variegated leaf, blue flower,perennial-loves shade. very strong grower.

3. orange daylilly plants,perennial, loves sun,multiplies.

4. mock orange cuttings, the plant has a small shrub shape, compact -easy to care for. it is covered in white blooms in spring for sev. weeks. just beautiful. my little start grew & bloomed the first year! Likes morn. sun / afternoon shade.

5. 2-full containers of african violet food.

6. several, long -rectangular, plastic planters.

7. plastic pots, quart to gallon size, maybe larger.

8. several packages of accent stones, for potted plants , various colors.

And homemade soaps -" regular or with loofah & scented > & body butter, lip butter, body wash, body glitter, skin conditioner. I will trade these, for something special.

And I am looking for :

1. vines.

2. herbs.

3. hollyhocks.

4. obedient plants.

5. tropicals.

6. grasses.

7. daylillys.

8. iris.

9. shrubs.

10. large round planters.

plastic containers with lids/these sizes:

" need these for my skin care products > -
1. one half ounce.

2. 2-ounce.

3. 4-ounce.

4. 6 -ounce.

5. lip pots - like the ones that hold lip gloss.
Can't wait to see everyone!

Thanks - Tina_2

o

Tina, can you use orange trumpet vine?
I have thousands, millions, zillions!

also have
Iris Indian Chief, + a number of other historics (I just don't know what they are!)

culinary sage

zebrina hollyhock

switch grass

obedient plant

rosemary

thanks!

sylvia

o
RE: HAVE: Plants?

Hi Sylvia - Sure, they all sound great! I am gonna email some people & see if they are going to the swap.
Thank you - Tina_2

o
RE: Need Loofah gourds & the seeds.....

Hi all. I totally forgot to mention, I need loofah gourds & the seeds. I dry the gourds, to use in my soaps - the guys really like that soap. I would, really appreciate the loofah gourds & trade whatever I have for them. Having to purchase the loofahs, is kind of pricey. So, please if anyone has them, just let me know. Thanks so much. Tina_2

o

I am going to do my best to get the day off so I can be there. I'm not sure what all I will have yet but will definitely have some roses to trade for some special things. We are suppose to be moving in early spring so I am slowly digging and potting up everything in my yard so I should have a good bit of stuff to trade. I will also be looking for shade loving plants because I am finally getting a yard that has shade :O) I will put a list together as I get the greenhouse cleaned out.

Sylvia I have the red cascade for you, I am potting it up today.

o

Venessa, how exciting!
Are you getting to take everything with you, goats & all?

I love Red Cascade!
saw a gorgeous one at an oil change place the other day, talk about something that'll thrive in a low-maintenance situation...

I'll try to get some shade-ish stuff together, can't think right now what I might have.

I moved a bunch of stuff around, may have some Spanish bluebells, maybe a couple of calla lilies.

Tina, I *think* I have some loofah seeds from 2005.

The summer drought & heat killed a bunch of stuff & kept a bunch of stuff from flowering/fruiting, so I didn't get any new loofahs this year, but I found an old one the other day, haven't gone to work on it yet.

o

Tina, I have ton of loofah gourds and seeds. I don't have the dry gourd at this time yet. But how old does it need to be before you harvest it to use in the soap?

Thuy

o
RE: Hi Thuy!

Hi, so good to hear from you. The loofah gourds must dry out completely, this takes a while after they are picked. All that has to be done is, peel the dry outer shell off of them & the loofah is ready.
My little grandson helps me peel them, he loves helping with the gardening chores. I would appreciate, any that you can spare. Than you, so much. Tina_2

o
RE: Hey Sylvia ....

Yes, I would love the loofah & seeds. That would be great!
Thanks -Tina_2

o

I have Loofah growing on my fence as well as Gardenia (Veitchi, August Beauty) & Aloe Vera in pots. I also have Yaupon Holly and oak (Shumard Red?) volunteers that I can pot up. I also have surplus root stimulater.

Looking for Japanese Persimmon (e.g. Tanenashi), Asian Pear (e.g. Shinseki, Hosui, etc), perenial herbs (e.g. Rosemary), additional pots, vermiculite/perlite, potting soil, etc.

o

Tina,
So you pick them and let them dry? I thought I'm not suppose to pick them untill they are dry and turn brown. No wonder my dry loofah was hollow, not as full and thick like the one was sold in the store. Anyway, I might not be able to make it the the swap. Do you want to p/u the guard at my house? Plus I remember you asked for lemon grass last time, I have some if you still need it.

o
RE: the loofahs .....

Thuy - yes I will come by & pick up the loofah, seeds & lemon grass! I think we live in the same area, don't we?
Just let me know when. Also, is there anything from my list, that you would like? I would be happy, to bring something for you. Please email me with the details.
Thank you- Tina_2

o
RE: Hi Sshuang !

I would love the loofahs & gardenia. I have lots of pots & some perlite & potting soil. Let me know if you are interested, so I can bring these for you. Thanks -Tina_2

o
Hi Tina!

I usually eat my Loofahs but I'm leaving some for sponge/seeds at the end of the season. I'll save some Gardenias for you. I can always use more pots, perlite, & potting soil. I also have empty baby formula metal cans (12 oz and 25 oz sizes) with plastic lids if you are interested for your skin care products. I'm in ZIP 75075/ Plano if you are interested in meeting or we can just trade at the plant swap on Nov 4.

o

sshuang, welcome!

(your birthday is only 3 days after mine!)

Are your yaupons the evergreen trees?

I'd love some:

Please let me know what you'd like from my list (except for the hydrangea & rosemary that are earmarked for Tina: I have only 1 of each of those.)

I was just going over my "wish list" for irises.
That list is a sort-of hobby of mine.
I make up a list every year, & then it gets hot & I think I'll never plant anything ever again, & then it cools off & rains & I think, well, I could plant some irises, & all the mail order places have cut off their orders for the year!

So here are some historics I have on my list:

Brown Lasso
Chimera
El Dorado
Germaine Perthuis
Jean Cayeux
Jospeh's Coat
Mady Cerriere
Mrs George Darwin
Nuee D'Orage
Ola Kala
Painted Doll
Princess Beatrice
Prinzess Viktoria Luise
quaker Lady
Susan Bliss
Victoribe
Wyomissing
Vingolf
Xanadu

don't know why I bother to make a list, I don't think I've ever met a historic iris I didn't love...

(I already have Indian Chief, Imperial Gold or Gold Imperial, Crimson King, & swertii.)

thanks!

o
Hi Sylvia

The Yaupon Hollies are evergreen shrubs that can be trained into trees. I have a male plant and female plant although I only see volunteer plants come up from beneath the female plant(i.e. the one with the berries). Mine female plant is about 10 foot high and both plants survived the brutal summer this year with only a little watering. If you are interested, you can come dig up the volunteer plants for free. I live in Plano 75075. Otherwise, I can pot them up for you at the plant swap on Nov 4. Unfortunately I don't recognize the plants on your list. Are any of those plants one with fragrant flowers that can survive Texas weather well, especially hot summers? Thanks

o

Would you like wisteria?

Wisteria flowers in the spring time, panacles of fragrant light purple flowers.

It makes a big umbrella shaped shrubby plant, deciduous (leaves fall off in winter).

My wisteria is about 5' tall & probably 7' or so wide.

It's about 8 or 9 years old.

It needs plenty of room & full sun.

Mine is on the brutal west side of the house;
the first summer (I got it in a 1 gallon pot), I used a cardboard shield to protect it from the worst sun & from our strong drying winds, but I don't think you'd need to do that if you had it in a less rigorous location.

After the first summer, it took off like a rocket,
& I've never actually watered it.

o

Yes Sylvia the red cascade is wonderful and a fast grower. I may have some others you'd like if I ever get around to making a list :O)

I'm also going to be dividing a bunch of stuff when I start digging so I hope I have a few things that people can use. I will also have some gardening books for trade for quilting books and other plants.

o

I've potted up some sedum & some coleus, & I'll look & see if I still have any quilting books that haven't mildewed in storage.

I know I have fabric by the ton, all cotton, mostly in coordinated batches )(selected for quilts that I never got around to making.)

o

Sylvia you know I am interested in the fabric if or when you decide to part with it. I am picking a pattern for a baby blanket for my SIL as soon as when know what she's having. So that's one more project to add to my list. LOL

I have a Belinda's Dream I'm going to dig up and pray it handles transplant well. It's own root and not huge but will take off well because it's a couple of years old. It just wasn't happy where I have it.

o

Yay!

Belinda's Dream is wonderful!

I'll look through that fabric asap!

By the way, there's a post about quilting on Conversations.

o
RE: Hi Sshuang.....

Thank you, for the gardenia & loofahs, they sound great. About the baby formula containers, they are kind of large for my skin care products. Alhtough I am hoping, to find some reasonably priced containers soon. I will bring the pots ,perlite, potting soil for you. Thanks so much - Tina_2

o
RE: Has anyone heard from ......

Hey - Has anyone heard from Weldon, Paige, Susie or Shiela ?
I have tried to find them, with no luck. Thanks - Tina_2

o

Sylvia I have been trying to think of any other roses we talked about but can't remember. I worked in the greenhouse yesterday and can now get half way in :O) So I should have a list soon.

o

Hi everyone, Great to see you guys are planning another swap. I will have to attend this one, my son and I loved it last time. This is what I have at this time, may have some more if it survives the tranplant: chives, shrimp plants, desert rose, bamboo, house plants and aloe vera. I'm looking for brugs, plumeria, gardenia, orchid plant, crinum, anything else that's eye catching and flowers. Oh, forgot, I also have water plants: pickerel rush, lizard tails, grass (don't know the name), elephant ear and umbrella plant.

Venessa, I have some fabric scraps and spools of thread if you are interested. Let me know and I will bring it for you.

o

Kay, I can bring milk & wine crinum & mauve crinum for you.

I could use some water plants that'll survive the winter (if that's possible: someone gave me umbrella plant one year, & it was very nice until the weather turned on us!) & some elephant ear.

& what is a desert rose?
I already have some rock rose, which has skinny leaves & flowers that look like rose of sharon/althea.

o

Sylvia, those crinum sounds great. I will bring you some water plants.
I'm not sure how to describe the desert rose, but mines has a big trunk that looks like its braided and leggy branches with shiny leaves. The ones that I will bring is just rooted cuttings so the trunk is not big and braided. I don't know how to post pics on here, but I have this site that has a pic of it and has the description too. You have to bring it in for the winter. It's a tropical plant. Here is the site that I had mention. If it doesn't come up, you can google desert rose and you should have a pics of it. I hope this help.
www.emilycompost.com/desert_rose_crop.jpg

o

Tina sent me a photo (Thanks, Tina!)

That's *gorgeous*!

I want one I want one I want one!

I would just come right out & say so, but my innate shyness is so overwhelming...

o

Sylvia, you're so silly. :-) I will put one aside for you.

o

Kay, I would love the scraps and thread. It will definitely help with some projects I have going :O) Thanks a bunch.

o

Venessa, if you're still rooting roses, I can bring cuttings of whatever I have.
here's a list of what I can think of right now:

Tradescent (Tradescant?)
Graham Thomas
Teasing Georgia
The Herbalist
Seven Sisters
Rozette DeLizy
Souvenir du Dr Jarmain I think
Geoff Hamilton
Duchesse de Brabant (gorgeous! wonderful!)
Martha Gonzales
Eden
Lavender Lassie
LaMarque: I hope you can root LaMarque. Mine is in the same area where I lost Belinda's Dream; I think there's a problem in the soil, & I'd hate to lose this one & not be able to get another. It's a wonderful rose.
Yellow Lady Banks
Pat Austin

& I haven't heard from any of the MIAs:
has anyone got their phone #s?

I sure do hope they see the swap & appear!

o

I would love to try some of the following cuttings:

Tradescant
Souvenir du Dr Jarmain
Geoff Hamilton
Duchesse de Brabant (I didn't get this to root from the spring cuttings)
Eden

I haven't tried rooting in the Fall so not sure how well they will do so I might be begging for more cuttings in the Spring :O)

I did get LaMarque to root tomorrow I will see how many I have. I think I have a few.

I haven't heard from Adeline and there was another sweet lady that was at the last swap but I can't remember her name (I'm so bad with names) If I remember correctly she was a neighbor to Thuy. I hope she will be able to make. There were a few new faces their that I hope will come again to this one.

o

Venessa,
I was able to track down the messages we posted last fall. Her name is Brenda, Barefoot in Texas. She brought the most delicous home made bread to the swap. So Brenda, if you are out there, please come join the swap this fall again :).
Thuy

o

Adeline did post on Plant Swap (see link posted by lorax above).

She said she'd been puny & was just getting back in the gardening mood/mode.

o

I have lots of rooted roses I'll bring to the swap. Also, I have some monk's cap perrenials.

Sure wish to have other types of roses.

o

Hey autumnshowers I still have the Mrs. B.R Cant if you haven't gotten one yet. I will have a lot of different roses I just have to make a list of whats available. I do know I have Dr. Echner, Lafter and Cramoisi Suprieur. I have alot of the roses that grow at LISDOLA.

o

Hey Sylvia, I would like to try rooting some of your rose cuttings. I would love to have ones that are yellow and lavender colors, so may I have cuttings of these that are from your list? teasing georgia, graham thomas, the herbalist, Rozette DeLizy, yellow lady banks, and pat austin. Would you also have any that are thornless?

o

Yellow Lady Banks is thornless:
A guy asked me what that "big shrub" was, & I told him it was a rose.
He looked at me real strange...

Lavender Lassie is in the lavenderish family, & it's fairly thornless, & it seems like LaMarque is fairly thornless.

& I have plenty of the others, so I'll bring them.

I'll take the cuttings the morning of the swap, I'm not gifted with cuttings, & I hate to stress them any more than the minimum.

Now if anyone wants a livestock fence/security fence/wildlife habitat/camouflage for a big ugly building, have I got a deal for you!

Mermaid.

It's got gorgeous, single, sulphur-yellow flowers that are *bee magnets* (little sweet bees, not ugly mean bees), it grows like it's on steroids, & it has *claws* like a dragon!

I have to climb on the roof about twice a year to keep it from crawling up to the ridge row, & this autumn I think I'm going to have to get somebody to cut it back for me: it's just out of control.
It's so huge that it's distorted the arbor next to it.

This is a plant to put someplace where it can do its job & not capture any passersby.

o

Hey everyone, Here are some plants that I plan on bring to the swap.
Ice plant:this is the one with shinny large leaves with pink flowers makes a great ground cover for sun or full shade.
Rock rose
Turks cap
Rose of Sharon if I can get my son to dig it up - purple flowers
Red velvet rose bush
White climbing rose, don't know the name
I will have other plants just haven't had the time to check out what all I have to bring
Plants I'm looking for:
Speedwell
Autumn blush - coreopsis hybrid
Butterfly bush
Need ideas for tall full plants in mostly shaded area other than what I all ready have which is tall rueilla, hosta's, columbine, iris's, lambs ears, but do want them to fit in with these plants.

o
RE Hey Autumnshowers!

I would love a monk's cap plant. Just found this great pic!
http://www.eburgess.com/detail.asp?pid=7508

My list is up above here, you should look & see if there's anything you may like. Plmk. Thanks - tina_2

o

Does anyone have Dutch Iris to trade?

My aunt, who never asks for anything, has asked me to find her some.

Please check my list to see if I have anything you'd like, or...
let me know if you can use privet seedlings.
She has quite a number of those that I can get.

Thanks.

o

Say, Sylvia, the crinum that I got from you 2 yrs ago (Starbucks in Irving?) is blooming-- beeuuutiful pink color and lots of blooms per stem.
If you have plenty, I'd like cuttings of: Lavender Lassie, Seven Sisters, Lamarque, Souvenir du Docteur Jamain, and Pat Austin. Sorry, but I have no clue as to
what I can bring at this time. Have several roses rooting and one brug --Dr. Seuss, I think-- has roots. All roses will be very small rootings from this summer.
Vanessa, Autumnshowers will you be at Melva's the 30th?
Hope so.
Weldon

o

Okey dokey!

I'll be up at the crack of dawn with a list & a pair of pruners!

Weldon, glad to hear you have crinums in bloom:
my crinums did some sporadic blooming just at the end of the drought & a little bit later.

I was worried, thought maybe it was the plant's way of doing a swan song.
If plants "think they're gonna die", they'll sometimes throw their energy into a last-ditch effort to spread their genes, attract pollinators, etc.

That's why old-time gardeners sometimes smashed the base of cuttings before trying to root them.

But the crinums are all fine, I just don't remember autumn blooms before...

Venessa, the Abraham Darby you gave me is a-bloomin' up a storm!

It's just beautiful!

o

Hey everybody, just saw this. I will be at the swap, but I don't know yet what I will be bringing - mexican petunia for sure, but probably some other stuff too. I will definitely bring the "delicious" bread that Thuy mentioned above. Thanks for the compliment Thuy.

o

So far this is what I will have for the swap:

Roses:
Betty Prior
Dr. Echner
Archduke Charles
Craimois Superior
Lafter
Graham Thomas
Maitland

Tall Purple mexican petunia
Blue mist flower
white yucca

o

Hi.. I would like some mock orange cuttings ,, From Tina 2
I planning to come to the exchange !
I have tons of seed . I bought zinnia seed last year from Wild seed farms and I'sure it is still good.
I also have a great Texas wild flower mix !
I have some iris and day lilys but they are all mixed up ( most of them are hybrids but I don't know the names any more )

Thanks
Simone ( need coffee )

o

Oh I forgot. Weldon no I won't be at Melvas' I didn't know about it or I would have requested the day off. Have some fun for me :O)

Sylvia so glad to hear Abe is doing well. I just love him.

o
Hi Simone!

I will, put your name on some Mock Orange cuttings.
The zinnia seeds, Daylilly & Iris plants sound great!
I can't wait! Thank you, so much! tina_2

o

just came into some caladiums, will have several for the swap!

o

Sylvia, I love caladiums hope I have something you want to swap for them.

o

got some caladiums marked for you, Barb!

I also have a couple of cast iron plants (aspidistra) that I bet you'd love for your shady areas:

I've had mine in the ground in a shady spot for several years.

I cover it when a hard freeze is expected, & it stays green all winter.

By springtime, the old leaves look pretty bedraggled, but I don't cut them off until the new growth emerges.

Does your white rose have thorns?
Some of the most beautiful ones have the worst thorns, but my skin is getting older & thinner, & I just can't stand the pain as well as I used to, so I can only reasonably get roses with fewer thorns.

Some thorns are okay:
I just can't handle, for instance, Joseph's Coat or Tradescant!

o

Thank you Sylvia, I'd love some of the cast iron plant I have a very small patch of them and it would help to fill it in more.
Yes, the white rose bush is very very thorny.
I'm getting my son to dig up a purple rose of sharon would you be interested in it?

o

Sure!

I just got a bunch of blue mist flower from a neighbor, so I'll have plenty of that to share!

o

Sylvia, I planted the blue mist I got in the spring from you in a pot they did great but I now need to get them in the ground.
If anyone is looking for a small shrub this is a good one, I'm looking forward to seeing what it will look like in the garden next year. This morning I had a lot of butterflies on it and DH asked, Why are there so many butterflies on that bush then he asked do they like that plant? LOL, got a love him, silly guy that he is. Don't ask me why I put him on my screen name for he knows NOTHING about plants. I need a new name, can it be done?

o

snork!

Yes, I think you can change your gw name *one time*;
the instructions may be on the Member Services menu
or you may be able to navigate to it from your member page.

From the Belton swap, I brought these for our FW swap:

Century plants

Chinese tallow trees

Chinese tallows are invasives around Houston,
where there's evidently not enough cold weather to inhibit them,
but I don't think they're a problem here.

They grow fast:

I transplanted a 12" or 15" seedling about 7 years ago,
& I can stand in its shade today!

o

anybody have any rooted Turk's Cap or 4 o'clocks other than mauve?

The man who's giving me the blue mist flower needs something *flowering* to go under a pecan tree on the east side of his lot, & Turk's Cap & 4 o'clocks are the only things I can think of that'll flower in the shade, yet not be harmed by winter sun.

I my own self am taking a him couple of buckets of 4 o'clocks, but mine are all mauve.

I hope someone here has Dutch Iris to trade so I won't have to mail-order them for my aunt:

I haven't ordered plants from a catalog in years, &, like any true addict, I'm afraid that once I start...
I won't be able to stop!

o
RE: Ok, Where Y'all At???

It's too quiet in here!

I just posted this on the Discussions side, evidently forgot to do it earlier.

So who has stuff to trade???

& who has gaps in their garden that need (fill in the blank)???

o

Sylvia: I did a bunch of cuttings today. Don't know if they will take or not. Did some of turks cap as well. I'd be interested in a milk and wine crinum, zebrina hollyhock, and moon flower seeds. Hopefully I'll have some stuff you want! I really don't have a yard full of stuff since I've been in this house only about 3 years and the first year I spent digging up rocks and garlic! : ) I have Autumn Joy Sedum, Creative Stitchery Iris (purple & white), daylillies--tawny color, tons of jew! the normal purple kind, the purple/green that looks great in hanging baskets, a green kind, purple iris, pink oxalis, little bit of purple oxalis, polka dot plant, sedum: blooms yellow, purple obedient plant, lots of mint, geranium ivy, kolanchoes, asparagus fern seeds. And if any of my cuttings work, I should have a few more things.
Other things I'd like to try out....coreopsis, and other plants for the butterfly/hummingbird garden, different color daylilies, daisies, hardy hibiscus.

o

I'll put your name on crinums, zebrina hollyhock, & moonflower (datura) seeds.

I'd *love* Creative Stitchery Iris, saw a picture of that on the Iris Forum, it's *gorgeous*.

& some kolanchoe (sp?):
A friend has it, & the foliage & flowers are wonderful!

Thanks!

ok, who else???

o
RE: HAVE: Just Got More Stuff!

Chinese Tallow Trees:
grow fast & get huge, good for a big area that's baking in the sun

Century Plant:
desert plant, I'm told the base of each leaf may grow to 8" or so across. bluish foliage, shoots up a tall flower stalk when it blooms.

Red Yucca:
another desert-type plant, makes soft red flowers all summer.

unknown wild or China rose: a rambler with small white flowers in the spring.

Candlestick Plant: must be wintered inside, grows maybe 5' to 6' tall & has gorgeous neon yellow flowers in the summer. good xeriscape plant, you sometimes see them in medians or municipal landscapes.

Does anyone have Clivia?
I just saw some on another forum & I'm smitten!

o
RE: How is everyone doing?

Hi - How is everyone doing? Are you all busy potting up plants , dividing the crowded beds, starting your cuttings, getting the seed packets together? Don't forget to put a few trashbags,a box, some newspaper, papertowels in your vehicle- it will come in handy for the swap.
Don't forget to label the plants, it helps so much.
Does anyone, need anything from my list? Please speak up, so I can bring what you need. I can't wait to see everyone!
Thanks -tina_2

Hi all. Here's my list, of haves & wants for the swap.
Have :
1. jewel of opar , plants/ annual - reseeds/ small star shaped flower. loves the sun. grows 2x2 -ft.tall
2. vinca vine- variegated leaf, blue flower,perennial-loves shade. very strong grower.
3. orange daylilly plants,perennial, loves sun,multiplies.
4. mock orange cuttings, the plant has a small shrub shape, compact -easy to care for. it is covered in white blooms in spring for sev. weeks. just beautiful. my little start grew & bloomed the first year! Likes morn. sun / afternoon shade.
5. 2-full containers of african violet food.
6. several, long -rectangular, plastic planters.
7. plastic pots, quart to gallon size, maybe larger.
8. several packages of accent stones, for potted plants , various colors.
And homemade soaps -( regular or with loofah & scented) & body butter, lip butter, body wash, body glitter, skin conditioner. I will trade these, for something special.
And I am looking for :

1. vines.

2. herbs.
3. hollyhocks.
4. obedient plants.
5. tropicals.
6. grasses.
7. daylillys.
8. iris.

9. large round planters.
plastic containers with lids/these sizes:
( need these for my skin care products ) -
1. one half ounce.
2. 2-ounce.
3. 4-ounce.
4. 6 -ounce.
5. lip pots - like the ones that hold lip gloss.
Can't wait to see everyone!

Thanks - Tina_2

o

I have a few more to add to my trade list.
Today I got a package that was supposed to be pink trumpet vine but got Pink burg cuttings and I also have some spider lilies not sure of the color but assume they are red.
I'm not sure what I'd like but I'm sure there will be something that needs to come home with me in trade LOL.

o

Tina, I'll be happy to bring you a coral vine from Crystal (Bell County Master Gardeners).

The foliage has died back, but she assures me that it'll return from the tuber.

& I always have iris, but I don't always know what kind it is.

I do know that I have some iris albicans, the old white cemetary iris, not a fancy modern, but it blooms every year & adds some white to the garden.

o

Barb, I would love to have some of your spider lilies and I sure hope that they are red. I was looking for some. Please check my list to see if there is anything that you want. Thanks.

o
RE: Hey Sylvia!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2050/
Hey Sylvia - Is this it? WOW! Sure, I would love to have the vine! It, has been on my most wanted list for 2-yrs.!
I will, choose a special place for it, in the garden! Yippee!!!!!!! Pls., bring the iris also!
Thank you, so much. tina_2

o
RE: Hey Barb!

Did you get my email about the ice plant? Plmk. Thanks -tina_2

o
RE: Hey Autumnshowers!

I would love a monk's cap plant. Just found this great pic!
http://www.eburgess.com/detail.asp?pid=7508
My list is up above here, you should look & see if there's anything you may like. Plmk. Thanks - tina_2

o

Kay- I will put your name on some spider lilies for you, Do you still have the pink desert rose?
Tina- I will put you name on one of the ice plants.

o

Well I have some sad news (for me anyway) It doesn't look like I will be able to make the swap because I will have to work. There are no requests off from now untiil after the holidays.

Sylvia I will get with you soon to give you the roses.

o

Sylvia,
I have some Dutch iris if you like; they are either white, blue or yellow.
Mike,
Will you have extra pink brug cuttings? I love to have one. I have light peach color cuttings.

I have these:
vinca - varigated leaves
oregano
Chinese chive
soapwort
single while datura seeds
dessert willow seedlings - pink flower

Want:
brug cuttings in different colors
lavendar
caladium bulbs

I have many volunteer seedlings that are evergreen and make wonder headges/fence with white flower in the spring. Mine 4 year old plants are 7 feet tall. Let me know if anyone is interested in them.

o

fortunegardener-

The Dutch irises sound wonderful!
Any colors are fine!

I have a number of caladiums, & at least one brug (don't know what color it is.)

Venessa, dang, I'm sorry you have to work.

Maybe we can have another Starbucks get-together before bad weather sends us all into dormancy, for the pre-arranged swaps between people who can't make the actual swap.

o

OK I am going to try and come to this. Are we supposed to bring our own table to put our stuff on?
I don't have a lot to bring but really want to come see everything. I'm gonna try to beg & borrow stuff to bring haha
I am interested in
Kay's Desrt Rose
sshuang's Gardenia
So hopefully I will have something ya'll would want
Debbie

o

Yay, Debbie!

Yes, a folding table makes it easier.

There are a couple of picnic tables in the area, but they're not set up for browsing or for storing stuff underneath, & we usually have them full of munchies anyway!

o
RE: HAVE: Brugs & Cereus.

Hey Everyone - I just received some mixed brug cuttings & some night blooming cereus cuttings. If anyone's interested, just email me. Thanks - tina_2

o

just got a request from Crystal, the Master Gardener who hosted the Belton Swap, for these seeds:

Butterfly weed
Agarita
Antelope horns
Tahoka daisy

If anyone has any of these, please let me know, & I'll put you & Crystal in touch so you can trade by mail, or I'll be happy to trade something for them.

Thanks!

o
RE: Wanted: FW Swap

missed this one, she also would like:

candelilla

o

Anyone have red bee balm for trade?

o
RE: Hey Sylvia !

Hi Sylvia - I just dug thru sev. boxes of seeds " didn't realize I had so many>.The only one I found- was the tropical asclepias curassavica / Butterfly weed seeds, the one that draws the beautiful Monarch Butterflies. I grew a large patch of them in 2004 - "I think every seed germinated !>. Watching the Monarchs come for the plants, was incredible "didn't have a dig.camera back then>, should have taken pics. The butterflies came in droves! Anyway, I bubblewrapped up some seeds for the Mastergardener. Send me her addy & I will mail them out.
Thanks - tina_2

Here are pic.s & details for her to see. Hope this helps.

http://www.floridagardener.com/FLNatives/Milkweeds.htm

o

YOYO - Do you remember the pink burg I got last spring, I am giving it away and I thought of you and wanted to give you first dibs on it if you would like it.
Everyone else ----------A lady I know is asking me if I know anyone looking for some burg cutting's, so if your interested let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting some of these---------they are not for trade--------- they are give away's.

o

Hi Everyone! I got home from deployment about 2 months ago and don't have very much since DH doesn't collect seeds. He does mow and waters a little so everything was alive when I got home the end of August. But I do have some things that I will be able to bring. If I don't have to work that day, I am planning to be there. I have some hollyhock seeds in mixed colors, and I'm planning to take up some roses too. Not sure which ones yet but will have the names of them attached and will try to provide a good picture if it's not in bloom. If I can't find enough good plants or seeds, I'll bake some bread or sort through my quilting stuff (have ton of that stuff and really need to downsize a little anyway) Mostly, I'm just really looking forward to seeing everyone again and being around all the plants. You can't imagine how dismal it is to live in a country so barren that most plants have to be imported, and planted in imported soil, and watered 2 or 3 times daily, because the imported soil is sitting on top of a continent of solid limestone rock. But enough of my b*tching - I'M HOME!!!!!!!! Hope to see you all soon. Cheryl

o

Yay, Cheryl!

Glad to have you back!

I know Venessa will be beside herself about the quilting stuff, but she has to work that day.

Maybe we can have one of our famous Starbucks get-togethers for those who can't make it to the Big Swap.

I my own self (The Non-Cook, Martha Stewart's Worst Nightmare) would be thrilled to trade for homemade bread.

In fact, if it's like my Aunt Margaret's homemade bread & it can be frozen, I'd be happy to trade for enough to put in the freezer!

Please look at my list, & see what you'd like to have.

o

Sorry, have been really busy so I haven't check the posting.

Barb, I will mark one of the pink desert rose for you and I would love to have the brug cutting.

Debbie, I will mark one of you also.

o

Seamommy, Welcome Home.... Hope your able to make it to the swap.

Thank you Kay, I will put your name on a burg cutting.

o
RE: How to overwinter a brug plant?????

Hey Fellowgardeners - Can anyone describe how to overwinter a brug plant, without a greenhouse. I plan to root cuttings in water & then plant in a pot. How do I, care for the plant in winter? Any, advice appreciated.
Thank you. tina_2

o
Hi Sylvia

I sent you an email but have not gotten a reply. I'll bring several yaupon holly plants if you are still interested. How many do you want?

o
Hi Tina_2!

I sent you an email but have not gotten a reply. I picked some luffas but they rotted rather than dried. I can pick some for you and let you dry them. How many Gardenia, Veitchi are you interested in?

o
Hi Debbie,

I'll bring a Gardenia, Veitchi for you unless you are interested in more than one. Would you happen to have a rosemary or a perennial herb?

o

sshuang-

I didn't receive email!

seems like I've heard that other people have had trouble with gardenweb's email, so maybe we should use our email addresses to communicate directly with each other, just to be sure.

I am sylviaboardwalk@aol.com.

I'd love as many yaupons as you can bring.

I have the wisteria potted & established, please look at my lists & see what else I can bring you.

I just got some bulbine, looks sort of like an onion plant, but the flowers are gorgeous.

It's supposedly only winter-hardy in the southern zones of Texas, but I got it from someone who dug it up out of his garden in Waxahachie.

Yesterday I dug up the crinums for tulipsgal, & I have a number of the mauve ones that came out with the mother bulb.

Would you like either or both of these types of plant, sshuang?

I have about 7 or 8 crinums, can get more if need be, but I need to know pretty soon:
Separating & digging those things is * hard work*!

I've just used up the last of my pots, even stuck holes in 1 ice cream bucket & 1 plastic pail (like a mop pail) to get the last few things into some soil, so if anybody has extra or stray pots, I'd really appreciate them.

It's a-gettin' closer, week-end after next, so it's about time to start taping together cardboard boxes & making plant labels & finding folding chairs & thinking about what dish to bring.

can't wait!

o
RE: Wanted: Forgot to Add...

...I could use some bricks or pavers.

gotta keep digging up that turf & making beds & pathways!

o
RE: Hi Sshuang.

Hi - Sorry. I haven't gotten your email. I would like 2-of the gardenia v., plants please. About the loofahs , they should be picked , only when the stem has turned brown. Then, they should dry out. Let me know. Thank you. Tina_2

o
Hi Tina_2!

I'll save 2 gardenias for you. My luffa stems don't seem to turn brown, even after leaving them on the vine for weeks. I'll see what happens next week with the luffas.

o

Sylvia,
I will bring some Dutch Iris plants for you. I like to have your caladium bulbs.
Tina,
I sent you an email and asked if you still have brug cuttings.
See you all there at the swap meet.

o

I'm not getting emails sent throught the gardenweb system.

Email me direct at sylviaboardwalk@aol.com & I'll get 'em!

The brugs aren't cuttings, they're plants in pots.

I'll bring all both of 'em for you!

o
Ft Worth Autumn Swap!

GOT THE DAY OFF!!!!! Bringin' bread. Waddaya like, cinnamon, raisin, cranberry, banana, punkin? I have some good recipes for breads and I'm even thinking of taking a day off the day before the swap so I can load up ole' Red with all my junk.

I'm organizing my quilting stuff and have a lot of books, fabrics, and tools, so if we can arrange something at another time I'm in. But I'm still bringing them on the 4th, Vanessa and I can't be the only ones in this gaggle who are quilters.

Ohhh, I'm so excited I can't wait for this!!!!!Cheryl

o

Oh Cheryl you are making me cry :O) I can't believe I'm not going to be able to make it. I thought I would be able to drop by in the morning but they scheduled me for all day. I do hope we can all get together for some garden talk some time soon. Hope everyone has a great time and eat some snacks for me :O)

o
Hey Sshuang & Fortunegardener.

Hi - Sorry, but I have not received either of your emails. You can email me at- purplegard4me@aol.com , if anything should happen to come up. Sshuang - I thought, the cool weather would have turned the stems brown on the loofahs. A neighbor says, the weather was not cool enough yet. Soon maybe. They won't dry out, til the stems have browned.
Hi Fortunegardener - I will save you some brug cuttings. I have some red flowering bulbs you can also have ,If you like. Will you save me some of the cute little soapwort plants & several of the dessert willow plants & some oregano plants. Thank you. tina_2

o
RE: Extra stuff......

Hi everyone- I was cleaning in my garage & found some extra stuff to bring;

I have;

* several garlic bulbs (received from city mastergardener class).

* several packets- of (Greenlight- 0.4 ounces) root hormone powder.

* a few packets(Green Thumb) hose couplers? I am lost, in this area.

* A (one pound) big container/dipel dust/bug dust for garden.

* A (Jobes) package of 10 -insecticidel spikes.

* A one gallon Easy Gro Root Stimulator / 5-20-10- liquid.

All this is extra , I don't need.
So, ya'll let me know If you can use this stuff.

Thank you. tina_2

o
RE: Attn: Cheryl & Fortunegardener

Cheryl-
I my own self like plain brown bread, but if you just gotta put sumpn in it, cinnamon is my fave!

You need to look at my list, oops, I'll re-post, this thing has gotten out of hand.

Anyway, speak up for what you'd like me to bring you.

Fortunegardener-
There are "rose witches" in this group, people who can clip off a cutting, smile at it, stick it in a bucket, & grow a whole new plant.

I am not one of them...

But I have pruners, & baby I know how to use 'em:
I'll be happy to bring you cuttings.
Just look at my list & let me know which ones you'd like.

Man, those roses are going to have some good haircuts this year!

o
RE: Hey, Brenda!

I've got down on my list that you have Mexican petunias & bread.

I'd like the bread, please!

But I can't find where you've said what you'd like.

Do you have a wish list?

I'm fixin' ta...
well, I might do it tonight, depending on how much I can accomplish before dark...
post a new list of plants I plan to bring, to find out what I can earmark for people.

I'll be sure to bring what people have asked for, & then just pack in as much as I have room for.

So if you reeeealllly want something, please make sure you pipe up!

o

Here are some plants that I can bring if they're wanted, or that are already sitting in their pots & need homes:

blue mist flower:
If you want some, *please* let me know.
I'll take 1 pot to the swap anyway but can get as much as anybody can use.
Seriously.
If you are planting a butterfly garden for a park or school, lemme know.

4 o'clocks.
I am the person who posted a photo of a "4 o'clock hedge" on the Gallery.
See comments about blue mist flower above.

Chinese tallow trees:
probably have a dozen.
They are good for people who need big shade trees fast, with minimal labor/maintenance.

Century plants:
a flat of little baby plants.

Candlestick plants:
a flat of 'em.

1 Golden rain tree in probably a 2 gallon pot

Turk's cap:
2 plants in 1 pot.
can take more cuttings.

chocolate mint:
1 in pot, can bring more as cuttings.

ice plant:
a few little bitty ones that I've just rooted.
easy easy wonderful bright green succulent type leaves, scattered neon pink flowers through the summer.

coleus:
at least a flat of newly rooted babies.
They'll live on your window sill until you set them out in the shade next spring.
Each fall, take cuttings & bring inside for the winter.

crinums:
a couple of milk-&-wine
maybe 8 mauve
I've kept out some for Kay & Tulips_gal.
Please let me know if I'm missing anyone.

aspidistra or cast iron plant
maybe a couple of these.

shrimp plant:
a couple of newly-rooted babies.
Parent plant is just beautifl right now.

at least 1 or 2 rambling roses, China type with small white flowers.

maybe purple iris

a couple of bulbine

o

Sylvia,

You posted about this:

"The man who's giving me the blue mist flower needs something *flowering* to go under a pecan tree on the east side of his lot, & Turk's Cap & 4 o'clocks are the only things I can think of that'll flower in the shade, yet not be harmed by winter sun."

I have a scattering of what I *believe* to be scarlet sage
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/wildseed/36/36.4.html
growing under a few trees that are surrounded on three sides by house and fence. They get hardly any direct sun at all, and they are the only "pretty" thing that'll grow there.

I'd be happy to pot up a few to bring along :-)

I *may* also be able to locate some needlecraft, fabric and yarn stuff, bu tno promises.

Does anyone else eat chocolate chip cookies?

o

wildscaper, that sounds great!

&, uh, I think I'm the *only* person around here who loves chocolate chip cookies...

so be sure to bring a whole bunch!

o

It's too quiet in here, does that mean y'all got all your homework done?

(Uh-oh, it's true, you really do turn into your mother...)

I just got a whole bunch of boxes from the grocery store, made some labels, thinking 'bout what food/drinks to bring.

Remember to bring notebooks:
Although some plants will be old friends, & some traders will bring printed instructions, gardeners are famous for saying, "Now you just do this & this. Oh, & this. Now will you remember all that?"

& the recipient always says, "Yes, I'll remember."

& sometimes we do, but...

o

Sylvia,

I like to have one of your blue mist flowers, candle stick plants, shrimp plants and Chinese tallow tree.

Tina,
I will save those plants you want.

Does anyone want oak seedlings? They come up in my garden all the time.

o

fortunegardener, I have your name on:

brugmansia
caladium
BlueMist Flower
candlestick plant
Chinese tallow tree
shrimp plant (it's a little one, but it'll grow)

& you have Dutch irises for me.

right?

(BTW, I still have plenty of plants for the actual,physical, real world swap!)

o

I hope it's not too late to get in on the fun. Things have been kind of hectic so all I will be bringing is seeds. I don't really have any specific wants but will be happy to gift the seeds to anyone who would like them.

I have:

Pink cosmos
Green Thread
Black Fountain grass
Purple Fountain grass
Pink Rock Rose
Lady In Red Salvia
Common Vitex (collected at roadside)
Unknown purple flower (found at roadside)
Yellow double flower marigold

I thought the unknown purple flower was a wildflower, but I have been unable to identify it on the wildflower sites so it's probably something really common that everyone will know except me. I DO know that it's beautiful and was in full bloom when everything else was crispy brown with the drought. It was on the side of the road next to a pasture so it received no supplemental watering. I am going to bring the stems that I harvested the seeds from in hopes one of you might be able to identify it for me.

PJ, you might like the Green Thread. It's a native and is a primary food for a beautiful bird called the painted bunting.

Looking forward to seeing you all,
Kristi

o

Glad you can come, Kristi!

Might the purple flower be spiderwort?

Fortunegardener wanted some of that.

I'm getting stuff sorted, watered, boxed, etc.

Can't wait to see everybody!

o

I just wanted to post and let folks know that it looks doubtful that I'll be able to come :-(

My kids both appear to be coming down with something. The 6 yr old just threw up, and the 4 year old has been "off" all day.

I'm not a big fan of pukey kids in cars. Especially not for over an hour at a stretch.

Not much chance of me getting to go it alone, either, unfortunately. So unless they both wake up refreshed, renewed, and stunningly recovered, I won't be going anywhere.

And it's my stinkin' birthday, too. Bah. Oh well.
I hope no one's gone to too much trouble for stuff I was looking for, and please feel free to release anything that you thought I would be showing up to collect to anyone else that's interested. If by some miracle I do make it, I won't hold it against anyone, but I'd hate for the effort to be wasted if I can't make it.

Have fun, and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

o

AWWW, Wildscaper poor babies I hope they are better it's no fun being sick. It would be nice if you could come but everyone understand's if your kid's are sick they come first.
Hope you have a wonderful Birthday.

o
RE: Ft Worth Autumn Swap!

Well, we did miss the ones who couldn't make it, but...

it was a blast!

Lots of us "old reliables" & quite a number of new faces, including 2 mother/daughter duos & a couple of next-door neighbors.

& for a minute there I thought Barb had brought both her husband & her boyfriend!
(turned out to be her granddaughter's dad).

The plants were beautiful, the food was great, & the company was fabulous.

Thanks to all!

o

This was my first swap ever. I dragged along my next door neighbor, Donna with me & we had a blast!! Thanks to all the friendly people. The trades were great I came home with brugs, gardenias, chocolate mint, a desert rose, a water umbrella plant (which I was told could also be grown in soil - yea cause I don't have a pond & it is the neatest thing.) I also got a new coleus, some iris bulbs, pots & a huge Peace Lilly plant. I know there is more but I can't remember right now.
THE BEST THING THAT I CAME HOME WITH IS NEW GARDEN FRIENDS.
Looking forward to the Spring Swap.

I'm sorry I couldn't print out the info on my swaps. I can send you a couple pictures of what I traded.

Silver Pink Hoya Publicalyx

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k298/debbiedo7/My Flowers/SilverPinkHoyaPublicalyx1.jpg[/IMG]

Burros Tail

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k298/debbiedo7/My Flowers/BurrosTail.jpg[/IMG]

Easter Egg plant tree

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k298/debbiedo7/My Flowers/EasterEggtree-SolanumOvigerum.jpg[/IMG]

Debbie

o

Oh my gosh Sylvia HAHAHAHA, both of the guy's with me are my son's, Well the one with the kids is my ex son in law but he's still our family and always will be.
My poor son is being called my husband a lot, everywhere we go and he get's so embarrassed, he might stop going anywhere with me, then this mommy would be very sad.
I had a great time as always everyone was great and the plants are great too.
Missed all that didn't get to make but you guy's need to make sure to try and make it next the time.

o

Thanks again Sylvia, for a fun swap. Really enjoyed seeing those I met at the spring swap again and it's always fun to meet new people and make friends. I came home with some nice things and I hope that everyone has good success with the seeds I brought.

By the way, Cheryl, I looked up Iron weed and this isn't it. This flower is much deeper wine colored purple and the tops look like a rich, lush velvet.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone and look forward to seeing you again in the spring or sooner :).

Kristi

o

Oh.

Well.

You know.

I just thought you liked 'em young....

o

Great Swap, I came away feeling like a bandit. Next swap, I promise I will have a ton of things for everyone. Being out of the country for a whole year really took its toll on me and my garden. My mother said she had a load of fun too, everyone was so nice to her. Now she can't wait for the Spring swap!

Sylvia, it was great. I know you did a lot to make it all come together, your contributions put us all to shame, and I know everyone of us really appreciates it. Let me help you next time; come Spring I will have a lot more spare time for activities like this. I am retired from the Navy Reserve now and only have one full time job. First time in 27 years I have my weekends to play. Yahoooo!!

Cheryl

o

Remuda1, well I'd like to find out what it is, because it was beautiful, and looks a lot like Ironweed. Let me know what you find out. I have a book of Texas native wildflowers and it may be in there. Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here