Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

fw autumn swap sat 10-24-09 2 new rules

sylviatexas1
14 years ago

Trinity Park is on the east side of University just barely north of I-30, near the Cultural District.

It's across University from the FW Botanic Gardens/Japanese Gardens.

From I-30 west of downtown Ft Worth, go north on University & take an almost immediate right into the park.

Drive all the way down, past a bunch of picnic sites & whatnot, nearly to the end;

we meet at or near the big pavilion.

Swap starts at 9 AM or whenever the first bunch arrives, & we "swap til we drop"...which usually happens about 2 PM!

Bring your surplus plants, cuttings, seeds, garden supplies & tools, art, garden clogs...anything that another gardener could possibly use, & be realistic & respectful about what you expect to "trade" these items for.

(I sometimes bring a cat litter bucket full of rose cuttings, but I don't expect to get a brand new Ace Hardware wheelbarrow in return!)

Be sure your plants are well-hydrated, as travel & wind are hard on them, & we want to give our adopted plants the best start possible in their new homes.

Sturdy, permanent, not-easily-dislodged labels are most helpful, & info sheets are absolutely priceless.

When arranging pre-trades, be sure that you & your trade partner are on the same page;

if you offer a "plant" for a "plant", describe its size, size of the pot it's in, age of the plant, when you took the cutting from the mother plant, etc.

It's perfectly fine to trade cuttings, but be sure that your trade partner knows what he/she is getting, & bear in mind that, while some cuttings will root, not all of them will, so bring a bunch..

When I bring that bucket of rose cuttings, I always have as many as possible of each variety;

they "cost" me literally nothing, & I want to be sure my trade partner ends up with *roses*.

Helpful accessories include hats, sunglasses, drinking water, water for hydrating/watering plants, Sharpies, notebooks, chairs, tables, little red wagons or some such, newspaper, extra boxes, cards with your name/email/phone # to hand to kindred spirits.

A good way to keep your "inventory" in order is to box your pre-trades & label each box with the trade partner's name;

I my own self use a whole sheet of letter-sized paper & write the person's name in enormous letters;

on one side of the page, I list what is in the box;

on the other side, I list what that person is bringing me.

Complete one trade before you begin the next one:

It's too easy to hand off your box to a trader only to find that they get lost in the shuffle while you try to answer questions from someone else...

& someone else gets your plants from the trader, who has gotten carried away with swap fever.

If you bring a table, put your "availables" on top, your "already promsed" pre-trades behind or beneath, & the things that you're taking home beneath.

(It wouldn't hurt to put your own name on some boxes or at least to bring paper & a Sharpie to label what you're taking home.)

We've always kept rules to a minimum, but here are 2 that should be self-explanatory:

1. Do not stick a cutting in a pot & call it a plant.

If someone discovers this at the swap, the person who did it will be asked to leave.

2. Do *not* remove a plant from *anywhere* unless the owner/trader is looking you right in the eye when you take it.

In fact, rather than "taking" the item, it would be better to have the trader pick it up & hand it to you.

Remember, if there's a conflict over this, the trader/offerer/*owner* of the plant will prevail, so be sure that person wants you to have the plant.

and now....

let the mania begin!

Comments (7)

• phyllisb2008
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think these are good rules. I know that last year I had nice healthy looking plants and on 1 of my swaps I recieved a sprout. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to hurt feelings.

Slyia, where do you want us to list our wants an haves?

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm thinking maybe a separate thread?

just to try for less confusion & muddle???

I'll start one right now!

• mommyfox
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the "tell us if it's a cutting" rule!

• texasyen
    14 years ago

Is registration required or any cost to register? I am a newbie at this but I am excited about coming out to see what is available for trade.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcom, texasyen!

No, there's no registration;
    just bring your own self & whatever surplus or extras you think someone might want to trade for-
    cookies, brownies, & homemade breads seem to go over very well if you literally are starting from zero!

& although you want to offer something, you don't have to stress over even-steven trading.

looking forward to seeing you there!

ps: You can see the trade lists on another thread titled something like "Ft Worth Swap Haves & Wants" or some such.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Refinements for these rules:

Orphan's Table:
    Extra plants that we want to share without a trade will go onto an "Orphan's Table", which is to be left untouched until the door prizes are drawn.
    When you collect your door prize, you can go to the Orphan's Table & pick one item or two, depending on the number of plants donated.

When everyone has picked one or two items, we'll start over.

Don't Take, Wait Until It's Offered:

I cannot stress this strongly enough.
    Do not take *anything*, even if you see your name on a box or a plant.
    It isn't yours until the person who brought the item hands it to you, at which time you hand your trade to him or her.

This is the only way for traders to be sure that they don't lose control of their items before they know that they're happy with the item they're to receive in trade.

If you're trading an azalea for an ivy, & you've brought a 5 gallon azalea & your trading partner has brought a 4" pot of ivy & you don't think that's equitable, you can decline the trade.

If anyone takes something without permission, that person will be asked to leave.

One more "suggestion", but it's a *strong* suggestion:

Post your haves before you post your wants & before you ask a trader for something they've posted.

& the flip side to that is, of course, if someone asks for something & you can't find what they've offered, *ask* before you agree to bring them something.

We are all free, of course, to give our plants away *if we want to* (something like informed consent), but that doesn't excuse taking advantage of someone's generosity.

As was mentioned on a thread last spring, you can always bring cookies;
    Wal-Mart sells every variety under the sun!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This thread was posted before we moved the Swap to the spot near the Zoo.

New directions:

From I-30 at the western edge of downtown, go SOUTH on University about 9/10ths of a mile & turn LEFT on Colonial into the Zoo area.

Just past the ballpark/bleachers, turn RIGHT into the parking area by the pavilion.

Sponsored