o
HAVE: 2012 Denton County Fall Plant Swap

Posted by melvalena North Texas 7/8 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 16:14

Oct 20, 2012 10am-2pm

Indian Creek Clubhouse
1689 Bandera Drive
Carrollton 75010
Cross streets are Hebron Parkway and Hunt Drive.

There are tables and chairs so you don't need to bring your own. Restrooms & full kitchen as well.
Swapping happens in the parking lot. Eating happens inside the building.

Bring a dish (not dessert) to share and what ever you want to drink. We'll provide the paper goods, silverware and dessert.

If you want to be in on the "door prize" drawing bring a garden related thing (not a plant) and put a gift tag on it with your own name. We'll use the gift tags to draw names.

If this is your very first plant swap or you are a new gardener, you don't have to bring any plants. But are encouraged to bring items you can trade with. (Candy, pots,
soaps, lotions anything you are willing to trade for plants)

Please be sure to tell everyone that this is your first swap or that you are a newbie to gardening and you will see how nice everyone is and how they make you feel right at home.

The basics of a plant swap:

Bring plants divided from your garden beds, potted up and labeled.
Bring cuttings, labeled of course.
Plants are the stars, but get creative about what else you'd like to swap, such as garden art and sculpture, books, seed packets, extra tools, garden hats, cute pots. Bring your tips, too.

Each person will want to know what they are getting. By they time they get home many have forgotten what the name of the plant is, so please label each item.

Some people note any tips that might help the plant's new owner be successful enough to divide the plant again in a few years. Some traders/swappers print out care sheets for each plant to hand to the new owner. But if you have labeled properly, the new owner can find info about the plant easily on line.

A potted plant has roots. A cutting does not. A cutting stuck in a pot of dirt is not a potted plant. Please do not try to pass one off as such.

When swappers receive plants they always put them away from those they are trading away. You might want to bring a sheet or something to lay over the plants you plan to take home.
Please DO NOT take anything without asking.

It is good etiquette to ASK if it is OK to take a certain plant.
Sometimes swappers have done "pre-trades" on the internet with other gardeners and they are saving those plants to give to them. Pre Trades should be well marked and set aside but in the chaos of getting to the swap and setting up, some things just don't get done. Always ask.

There will be a designated area for free plants for the taking. These will be extra plants that swappers will bring to give away and no trade is expected.

When marking your plants, you can use permanent ink on Popsicle sticks, cut pieces of old blinds, plastic knives, forks or spoons and anything else you can be creative with! Printed labels are fine too.

What if it rains?
WE WILL BE THERE RAIN OR SHINE! We are die-hard gardeners and the swap will go down regardless!

What is a pre-trade? How do I pre-trade with other gardeners before the plant swap?

A pre-trade is a plant trade made with other gardeners online who are going to the scheduled plant swap. Gardeners are looking for certain plants to swap with other gardeners and agree ahead of time that they will bring those plants to the plant swap for each other.

Does the plant swap cost any money to attend?
ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY IS TO BE EXCHANGED FOR ANYTHING! We allow swapping or trading of plants or garden-related items only!

You can post trades here

or come check us out on our Meet Up group:

Denton County Gardening Meet Up Group

Let the swapping begin!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: 2012 Denton County Fall Plant Swap

All right!! I plan to bring rose cuttings, not rooted yet, as this is earlier than I usually do it - mostly antique roses - G Nabonnand, Souv de la Malmaison, Duchesse de Brabant, Climbing Pinkie, LaMarque climber, Alfred de Carrierre (climber), Goldbusch, (and others I can't think of right now), will list them later.

Let me know if there's anything in particular in this list that you want. I'm looking for Sedums, thyme and other low growing ground covers.

Thanks!
ogrose

o

I am looking for Caldwell Pink ............anyone have this rose? I will post my haves a little later.

o

Carrie,I have an extra Caldwell Pink. I'll put your name on one...already rooted.
OGRose I would be interested in trading cuttings. I have: Wm R. Smith, Quietness, Paul Neyron, Msr. Tillier. Will be checking with you early Oct. I also have GOBS of thyme and oregano... both everygreen ground covers. Any one for Kale, it's running out my ears!!

o

That is wonderful, Weldon...........will get my list together soon. You ALWAYS have so much to offer.

o
My trade list

Butterfly weed
Katie ruella
Vitex
Mexican hydrangea
Ajuga
Fall blooming aster
Turk's Cap
(1) Pomegranite
Bouncing Bet
Mexican Feather Grass
Cannas
Japanese Umbrella Plant
Flame Acanthus
Blue Mist Flower
Wood Ferns
SALVIAS::
Black and Blue
Blue Bedder
Henry Duelbert
Lady in Red
BRUGS:
1 Mountain Magic
2 Noids (probably pink also)
Sanseveria
Night Blooming Cereus

This is all I can think of at the moment, and if you are interested in any of these, please let me know as soon as possible as I have a very limited time to dig and pot. Thanks !!!!

o

Weldon, I will make cuttings to trade you for all the roses except Mons Tillier, already have that - I will update my have rose list soon - also would love to have thyme and oregano you have to spare!

Carrie, would love to try:
Butterfly weed
Mexican Hydrangea
Mexican Feather Grass
canna
Flame Acanthus
Wood fern
Blue bedder
Thanks!
Sheryll (ogrose)

o

Carrie, is the Katie ruella the dwarf pink?
ogrose, you may have to remind me about the rose cuttings. Have to have my chains rattled more often these days!!!!
I will get the thyme and oregano potted this week and they should be ready to go by the swap.

o

I hear you, Weldon, I am the same! Will keep reminding you, lol!

Add these roses to the list of what you might like:
Maggie
Safrano
Wife of Bath
Jude the Obscure
Don Juan
Reine des Violettes
Golden Celebration
Bermuda Maitland White

I don't know if any of these are still under patent, but if you know, let me know!

o

Weldon, the Katie ruella is mostly purple, but since I have pink also, you never know which color you are getting. I would not be able to get only the pink. Do you want it anyway?? It is usually pretty well behaved, but "did it's thing" this season, and I have an abundance of them.
Sheryll, I have started my list and will put all your "wants" on it. I noticed yesterday that there are quite a few Lyre leaf sage coming up so I am adding that to my list of "haves" !!!

o

YES, Carrie. I still want the ruella...that is if they are dwarf. I need them for a border tucked in among rocks outlining a bed.

o

They are the dwarf, Weldon, and make a wonderful border plant. I will put you name on them.

o

Weldon I have lots of white ruella if your interested? They really got big this year and are crowding out my iris plants!

o

is the group open to people in surrounding counties? i am new, but i love to bloom!

o

ABSOLUTELY it is, debflo, please join us !!!

o

Yes, Gretchen, I would like some of the white ruella.
I need to get busy on my list. I know that I will have some day lilies, probably some iris and who-knows-whats????

o

It's my first year but here is what I have.

Vitex
Yellow Flower Hibiscus
Double Pink Hibiscus, this one has what seems to be 2 or three flowers all grown as one. My wife loves this one.
Landmark Lantana, not sure I will get peach and flame flowers as I only had gold and rose/purplish flowers this year.

Really looking to get gardening seeds. All types.

o

mswillis5, are these seeds or plants?

o
Please post your lists

Those of you planning on coming to the swap need to get your lists posted ASAP please. We are nearing the time of the swap and we need to know how to plan..............thanks !!!!

o

I don't have plants or seeds currently, but i plan on bringing goodies to swap, and bringing another lady too.
do you need any additional info? thanks!

o

Does anyone need/want some 4ft yellow cannas?
If kept in part shade they stay at 4ft..

How ever, in full sun these babies get 6-7 ft tall.

o

debflo, take a look at the lists in earlier posts and see if there is anything you could use...........then post and let the gardener know which plants you want.

o

Anyone interested in zinnia seed????

o

Carrie, what color are they, and how tall?

o

I have all sizes, Sheryll..............the tall ones are from Park Seed and are a magenta color with a very large bloom. They are beautiful, but tend to fall over if not given support. I use other plants for support and just let that beautiful color show through. The smaller ones are mixed colors.

o

Hello All,
Looking forward to the Fall Swap.
We have a some small trees, Oleander, Pomegranate & Desert Willow, daylily bulbs and some seeds.
We will also be brings several plants that will need winter indoors but are very happy back in the yard come Spring.
See you there,
Mardi & Bob Ahring

o

Hey, Mardi, will be so good to see you. What color are your daylilies, if you don't know the names???

o

mswillis, I would be very interested in your hibiscus.

Carrie, would love to have the magenta colored zinnia, thank you!

Mardi, would be interested in the desert willow.

Also am looking for daylilies!

I will attempt to put root cuttings from my Nepeta Walker's Low, some frogfruit, along with a very tiny what looks like a chrysanthamum which I got and rooted from Abuelos Mexican Restaurant in Lewisville last year. Lol, when I asked, they said take anything you want (since we live there it seems!)

Yikes, I'm running out of room, what to do...

o

mswillis, are the hibiscus tropical or hardy???
I will go out and harvest some zinnia seed right now before they get wet.

o

I'm looking forward to Sat, although I may not be able to stay long. I met some of you at the spring swap and it was lots of fun. I have some seeds that I can bring this time
four o'clock (fushia)
cleome hasslerana Spider flower
poncirus trifoliata Hardy orange
Baptisia (yellow)
native red clematis
native purple clematis
Gulf coast penstemon
native white hibiscus with maroon center
button bush
native pink hibiscus
Caesalpinia gilliesii Bird of Paradise

cuttings (no roots)
green rose
wiegela
pink skullcap

plants
mexicali rose

I'll look to see what else I might have....

Mswillis am interested in hibiscus (seeds or plants?)
Carrie am interested in any of the salvias. Also excited to tell you that two of the three brugs are thriving from the spring swap!

Also interested in any irises

o

Wonderful news about the brugs, abarbie4me. I am interested in Baptisia and both clemetis please. Will be good to see you again ............glad you can come.

o

Wonderful news about the brugs, abarbie4me. I am interested in Baptisia and both clemetis please. Will be good to see you again ............glad you can come.

o

Well here at almost the 11th hour, I have a list...sort of.
For Carrie a Caldwell Pink rose.
ogrose: let me know which rose cuttings you want.
Mardi, I am interested in the pomegranite
I PREFER THAT ALL MY OFFERINGS BE "BY ORDER". I will not be able to stay long and will be heading into McKinney for the weekend....to see 19 mo. old twin grandsons. SO would not want to bring a lot of stuff back home.
HAVE:
amaryllis - seedling of cross Bolero X red
crepe myrtle (small) Country red -- actually dark pink
Iris: Bronze, Blue, Earl of Essex, Pink Quartz
thyme
CUTTINGS:
Roses : Don Juan, Paul Neyron, Duchess de Brabant; Quiteness, Souv. de la Malmaison, Mons. Tillier; MINI's: Moonlight Scentsation; Baby Darling, Sunnydew
White Budlea - butterfly bush
pink plumeria

o

Weldon, do you still want me to bring the Katie ruellia and the Ajuga since it will be bare root? I can put them in something that you could just water until you are ready to transplant. Would that work for you??

o

Bare root is fine Carrie. I have newspaper,boxes, pots, etc that I can use to keep them moist.

o

You've got it .............see you Saturday.

o

Took a stroll with the camera this morning. Thought some might like to see some of the blooms from roses from which I can take cuttings. Paul Neyron only had spent blooms -- good for cuttings! Don Juan only had HIPS...yep big ones.
Hope I hit the right photobucket buttons...hate that place!
Couldn't find how to load from the bucket....but could not resist showing off twin grandsons....16 mo's. Yes Pops really does teach piano.

o

Oh well, fry and fry a hen

o

Well, aren't those the cutest "roses" ever ??!!! My, how they have grown, Weldon..............I know you must enjoy them.

o

Well, aren't those the cutest "roses" ever ??!!! My, how they have grown, Weldon..............I know you must enjoy them.

o

o
Mercy

I know I posted this only once...........what is going on with these duplicate posts? I notice it's happening to others as well.

o

Hey everyone!
Don't forget your door prize gift if you want to participate. We usually do this towards the end of the swap.
Be sure to re read the first post for details on the food and other things.

Looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday!

o

Weldon, I would be interested in a cutting of Paul Neyron as well as a few iris. Please let me know which of the roses I have listed you would be interested in.

abarbie4me, would be interested in both the clematis you have listed.

Please let me know from what I have listed in posts above what anyone would be interested in!

See you Saturday!

o

ogrose, got some of both clematis seeds packaged up with your name on it.

Also adding Eve's necklace and Mexican Buckeye to the list of seeds I'm bringing

o

abarbie4me, would also be interested in Mexian Buckeye! C'mon, isn't there anything I'm offering you would be interested in?

At this point, won't bring much unless someone asks, so ask away!

o

No smorgasbord from me either, Sheryll............if it hasn't been requested, I won't be bringing it.

o

No smorgasbord from me either, Sheryll............if it hasn't been requested, I won't be bringing it.

o

Trades:
Mardi: pomegranate, green rose cutting
abarbie4me: eve's necklace seed
Sheryl: cuttings - G Nabonnand, Gold Busch, Golden Celebration'
Gretchen: white ruella
TO: Carrie- Caldwell pink rose,
Sheryl, cutting Paul Neyron, iris
Someone else (I thought) wanted iris, but can NOT find my notes. Please get back to me.

o

Sheryll, I missed your cuttings of Wm. R Smit, Quietness and the thyme and oregano. Please add a cutting of Safrano for me.
THanks, Weldon

o

Don't forget your covered dish to share with everyone and your drinks.

Gretchen and I will provide paper goods, dessert and coffee.

o

This is my first swap. I don't have much to offer yet, but I do have:
Purple Mexican Petunias Dwarf and Tall
Vitex
Red KnockOut Roses
I cannot wait.
Carrie Too

o

You're gonna love it Carrie Too!!

o

Carrie too, I would like to trade one of the following roses for a red knock out: Perle d'or, Caldwell Pink or Madam Antoin Marie
Weldon

o

Okay, last chance! I have old garden roses that I will root tomorrow morning, so anyone that wants to try, please let me know early!

o

Sheryl,
I'd like to try my hand at rooting Jude the Obscure & Don Juan if you don't mind bringing cuttings for me.

o

ogrose, Added buckeye seeds for you.
Has the chrysanthamum type plant been spoken for?

Weldon added Eve's necklace seeds for you. Was someone else bringing you a green rose cutting or am I supposed to?
Also if you still have iris not spoken for I'm interested.

Did I leave anyone out?

o

abarbie, I would like a cutting of the green rose please. Roses root better for me in the fall than when I prune them in February. I could bring cuttings of Belinda's Dream if anyone is interested.

o

abarbie, yes, I want some cuttings of the green rose as well as the Eve's necklace seeds. I have put in some extra iris just for you!
Gretchen I have you down for iris and Sheryll as well.

o

A small but great swap. I really liked not having to carry the plants back and forth..............made for a much easier day. Loved being able to sit down and eat and swap stories.............still laughing about some of them. Great to see everyone and meet new people.....start thinking now about the Spring swap...........it's never to early to start thinking of plants.

o

I agree, Loved Loved the facility and location. I want to thank Gretchen for setting it all up. There will be plenty of room for everyone at the Spring Swap.

We had discussion on future Garden Hops and "consultation parties" and how beneficial they are to newbies and old pros alike. It helps all of us to see and walk around someone else's yard to get ideas or learn how to get started.

Its never a waste to spend a few hours with a bunch of crazy plant people.

The food was really good too.
Next time we will..... umm..

I don't know what could make it any better! But if you think of something be sure and let us know!!

o

Carrie's Photos are up! Hopefully we'll get Gretchen's photos up today as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo page for Dentonto County Gardening Meet Up Group

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here