Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chargreen_gw

HAVE: Austin area -Manchaca Fall Swap Oct. 20

chargreen
11 years ago

Austin area Manchaca Fall Swap Oct. 20

Manchaca UMC Pavilion same location as spring swap.

Post your haves and wants here.

Comments (11)

• prsb
    11 years ago

Never been to a swap before but just found a very nice post "swap ettiquette" in last Spring Manchaca swap thread, about what to expect from a swap for a newbie. Very excited and will try to come, depends on how this thread goes...

Although a plant enthusiast I am just starting out my collection here in TX so have fewer haves and many many wants for now. Some I can think of:

HAVES:
    Dwarf Mexican petunia/ Reullia (pink) -- hard to kill, grow into a low mound that almost looks like a bouquet topped with pink blooms.
    Society garlic -- have big clumps that need dividing
    Pride of barbados -- small plants started from seed
    okra seeds -- not sure what kind, but grows into 6-7' plants and has long 5" fruits.
    Gardening books

WANTS:
    Plumeria cuttings
    Fig tree cutting (any variety that does well in our zone)
    Potato vine (not sweet potato)
    Tangerine beauty
    Night blooming jasmine
    Pink trumpet vine
    Clementis
    Irises
    Passionflower (hardy for Austin area)

• heather78745
    11 years ago

I might be up for this-- JUST came back to Austin & Gardenweb, so I don't have as much to offer (YET) as before. I *might* have some roses and ruellia (purple), and lots of seeds-- veggies, vines, water plants, red yucca, etc.

I loved to garden before the recession, but had to rent/pinch pennies for the past several years...

I'll bring $ and maybe some supplies/tools/books besides plantstuff to trade! I need details about when/where...

• prsb
    11 years ago

Just wanted to bump this up and find out if many people plan to come for this.

• chargreen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For some reason Gardenweb is not sending me updates on this post. Here is the location for the swap.
    Manchaca UMC Pavilion
    1011 FM 1626 (At the intersection of Manchaca Road and FM 1626)
    Manchaca, TX 78652
    Everyone is welcome and we have an evite list if you want to be added just email me through gardenweb. I will be sending out a reminder evite this weekend and hopefully more people will want to post on this thread.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Pebble, I'm saving my one night blooming jasmine plant for you. Be advised that it's tender. I've had mine planted in a big pot for about ten years. I cut it all the way back in late fall and drag it into the greenhouse for the winter. It's worth it for the wonderful scent. One of your garden books might be interesting to read.

I'll be listing some other things I'll be bringing later.

• prsb
    11 years ago

Thanks Roselee!

I was hoping there would be more posts here. Do many people show up even though there's not as many of them posting? It's a loooong drive for me from North Austin, so just wanted to know what to anticipate.

Chargreen I will send you an email for the evite. Thanks for the address and what's the time?

pebble

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Pebble, I'm not the best one to answer your question as I've only been to an Austin area swap once before and that was at Manchaca this spring, but my observation was that there was little or no discussions or pre-swap trades like on the San Antonio Plant Swap thread, but there were lots of people attending with lots of plants to trade.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Pebble, Charlotte, and everybody, it looks like I won't be coming the the Manchaca swap after all :-(

Pebble if you'll email me through my page I will mail the night blooming jasmine plant to you bare root. It will be going dormant soon anyway. No trade needed.

• chargreen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Reminder the plant swap is this Saturday. Yes, our group doesn't post much. Probably like me and can't always remember my login. Here is the basic outline for our swap.
    The swap usually starts at 9am sharp and we usually do door prizes and a potluck lunch around noon(or before if we get hungry!). It's usually all over by 1:30 depending on weather and how many people come. As for what to
    bring, the options are wide open. Plants of course, either divisions of
    your perennials, or cuttings you started or seeds you collected and
    labeled. Sometimes people bring whole plants they decided they didn't
    like anymore or didn't have room for. Also, if making new plants is not
    your thing, you can bring gardening related items, books, terra cotta
    pots, tools, etc... People are generally very generous and eager to
    make newbies feel welcome so there are no hard and fast rules about
    what you can bring. Also, most gardeners just don't want to take any of
    their own stuff back home so they are often not expecting an "even
    trade". Please do not take an item from someone's area without asking.
    A good idea is to bring an extra box to put under your table for the plants you have swapped and are taking home.
    Items under the tables are off limits.
    Also, we do have a donation jar if you want to help with the pavilion rental fee.
    There is also a list of things you may find useful to bring:
    camp chair or stool
    card table (there are no tables provided at the Buda pavilion)
    extra plant labels and marker
    extra plastic pots - usually someone needs these
    plastic bags for transporting goodies
    plastic nursery trays for transporting goodies
    gardening item to donate for door prize (optional)
    Your favorite food or drink for the potluck.
    Drinking water
    rain jacket (for some reason our swap usually causes a shower!

• chargreen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the swap. I have some plants that need new homes and a nice fall chrysanthemum plant for a door prize. The community garden is having a workshop at 9:00 a.m. so come early and join the fun.
    Charlotte

Here is a link that might be useful: Workshop

• chargreen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to Julia, Carla, LeeAnna, Marcie, Prachee and my helper Curt for another great swap. Although we were a small group we had fun swapping (aka trying to not go home with our own plants) and visiting. Looking forward to the next swap in April.
    Charlotte